Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: Check

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Wow.... Some stray thoughts:

When they did the initial explanation of the gunfight at the fast food restaurant, I immediately flashed onto "Jenny's last stand", (and wondered if it was lazy writing, and if not why didn't Gibbs see it.)

After the "Mike Franks copy", I started looking for the next one. When Gibbs and Dianne were on the roof, I got a knot in my stomach.

I thought "no, they can't kill Diane".....they did. (Even then, I had hope that it was a ruse.....)

After Gibbs beat the crap out of Sergie (???) and got knocked out, I expected a "to be continued"...but no.

Was that the real ending? Almost a throwaway line "we stopped them"..... I'm guessing that the bad guy will return sometime.

Poor Fornell.

Did it seem like the promo for next week was almost too lighthearted???

Hell of a way to start '15.

• Love 2

Wow, I never thought they would kill off Diane either.  That was horrible.

I don't know what else to say, oh except we don't know what Gibbs is seeing the doctor about.  He made some mention of "headaches" so probably some major scare on top of this?

Edited by roseha
  • Love 4

My big issue with this episode was that neither Tony, Gibbs, nor Ducky recognized right away that diner scene was a replica of the Jenny shoot-out. I recognized it immediately and I think all three of them would have as well. It just didn't ring true to me that none of them did. As for the shocker I have never been a fan of Diane so good riddance but on the other hand tired of Gibbs angst.

The positive in the episode was the Abby/Tony scene and I continue to really like how they use Bishop.  

As for Gibbs seeing a doctor I got the impression it was just his yearly check-up and the headache was because he was having caffeine withdrawals.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 4
the headache was because he was having caffeine withdrawals.

Hey that's a really good suggestion camussie, many years ago I had acid stomach and had to temporarily give up coffee and I remember that exact reaction!  I hope it's only that and no more.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1

Seriously show?   Last episode they kill off Tim's father and they don't even mention it this time.  Then they recreate every painful moment of the past dozen years and end with another one.  I really hate the seasons where the villain is doing what they are doing only because they have a personal vendetta against Gibbs.

I like a good shock ending as much as anyone and don't like shows where everyone is safe, but good grief are they trying to be Game of Thrones?  At least they could have waited for Joe Spano to be available so we could see the Gibbs and Fornell meeting.  If they just drop that for a few episodes and act like it never happend I will really be pissed.

I wasn't that crazy about the Rebecca storyline either.  Gibbs second wife has been teased for so many years she deserved to be more than just the red herring of the week.

I did like Jimmy refusing to participate in the autopsy.  Tim's line about having to go rescue a cat in trouble was pretty amusing.  I do like episodes where they put Tim and Gibbs in the field together. 

• Love 3

My big issue with this episode was that neither Tony, Gibbs, nor Ducky recognized right away that diner scene was a replica of the Jenny shoot-out

Ducky was never at the diner where Jenny died.  They sent the bodies to him.  I'll just believe that the appearance of ex wife #2 threw them off their game for a bit.  Though most dedicated viewers also caught on to the scene portrayed.

It is kind of fun to see Gibbs discombobulated and got a chuckle out of the homage to the famous "Airplane" line " I picked the wrong week to quit caffeine.  But Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs you are getting way too old to play Lone Ranger.  But if he didn't do that the writers would have to come up with another ploy.

I did not see the Diane murder coming..until they were up on the roof....then it was "oh crap".  Wonder how this is going to play into the Gibbs/Fornell relationship?   I also what will happen if bad Russian dude finds out that Ziva killed their (likely) mutual half-brother Ari.

Still enjoying the interplay among Tony, McGee and Bishop.  Its nice not having the elephant in the room of Tiva hanging over ever episode.

forgot to say.....Loved Jimmy's extremely brief but oh so powerful scene.  I really wish they would use Jimmy more often in situations like that.

Edited by pally
  • Love 4

Ugh. I liked Diane but I really liked Emily so losing her mother just to further Gibbs angst really stinks. I hate to tell the show but NYPD Blue pretty much did the same thing repeatedly to Sipowicz and it got old. At least they balanced it out with Andy not being right about everything all the time. 

I like the other characters on the show but I am sick and tired of Gibbs. He got boring after they turned him into someone who is always right. No matter how rude, how hateful, how much he breaks the rules. He's always proven right. 

Heck, pure speculation on my part but maybe Gibbs has a brain tumor and these are just his delusions or something. 

• Love 4

Wow.... Some stray thoughts:

When they did the initial explanation of the gunfight at the fast food restaurant, I immediately flashed onto "Jenny's last stand", (and wondered if it was lazy writing, and if not why didn't Gibbs see it.)

After the "Mike Franks copy", I started looking for the next one. When Gibbs and Dianne were on the roof, I got a knot in my stomach.

I thought "no, they can't kill Diane".....they did. (Even then, I had hope that it was a ruse.....)

After Gibbs beat the crap out of Sergie (???) and got knocked out, I expected a "to be continued"...but no.

Was that the real ending? Almost a throwaway line "we stopped them"..... I'm guessing that the bad guy will return sometime.

Poor Fornell.

Hell of a way to start '15.

Agree with all of this.

And the posts about Jimmy's scene in autopsy. Best scene in the episode (in quite a few episodes really)

I immediately thought of Jennie's shootout too, and it distracted me because all I could think was "They've done this before.. they need some new material". I just assumed it was lazy writing because it seemed someone else should have noticed sooner.

I liked Diane (as a character, not as a person) and loved the dynamic of Diane, Fornell and Gibbes when they had scenes together. Wish they hadn't killed her off. Wish we had a scene of Gibbes telling Fornell, but maybe no one knew how to write it. (get the person who wrote Palmer's scene, people!) It seemed obvious to me that Diane's voice on the phone had been digitized or generated. At least they didn't use the ploy of people receiving fake texts from each other. I'm always dumbfounded by how often on tv major characters go to mysterious dangerous meetings on the basis of a text. Dont' they watch tv themselves to know how risky that is?

Jeri Ryan is not a redhead. How can she possibly have married Gibbes? They better use her and her story some more, or else they threw away the mystery of wife #2 for no reason. They could have made an entire episode or multi episode arc about her. They didn't need to waste it. Although the whole bit that mirrored Tim and Diane being found asleep on the sofa was fun (if a little heavy handed)

The episode seemed to have too many ideas crammed into it and too much trouble figuring out its own tone.

Does seem it should have been a "to be continued" and the lighthearted preview when I was expecting a continuation of the story line I just saw.. that was jarring for sure!

• Love 1

Loved Jimmy's extremely brief but oh so powerful scene. 

That was heart wrenching. It brought home what Ducky and Palmer must go through-Kate, Jenny, Mike Franks,etc.

Jeri Ryan is not a redhead. How can she possibly have married Gibbs? They better use her and her story some more, or else they threw away the mystery of wife #2 for no reason. They could have made an entire episode or multi episode arc about her. They didn't need to waste it. Although the whole bit that mirrored Tim and Diane being found asleep on the sofa was fun (if a little heavy handed)

When I heard that Jeri Ryan was the "ex #2" I thought the same thing. But the dye job (???) was IMO well done.

I was surprised that Nobody (Gibbs, Diane, Tim) mentioned the  similarity, as it sure seemed to be staged that way.

• Love 1

I liked Jeri Ryan here. (my mind is weird though--as good as she was on ST:Voyager, ever since 2004, I can't put her personal history out of ny head when I see her until I get into her performance a bit).

• Love 1

Ok, I totally caught that the diner scene was the same as Jenny's death in "Judgement Day". I'm glad I wasn't crazy-- and I agree, shouldn't Tony, at the very least, have at least mentioned how familiar that crime scene felt. But... HOLY SHIT!! Did Sergei really kill Diane like Kate was killed?! HOLY SHIT. My jaw dropped and I thought maybe it was a dream sequence, especially since Gibbs seemed to recognize what was happening. Diane was not my favorite, but damn... that was cold-blooded. And poor Emily-- she doesn't deserve that. I hope we get an awesome scene between Gibbs and Fornell because I feel totally j***** right now. Not sure how I feel about Jeri Ryan/Rebecca as Ex-Wfe #2. I liked the scene in Gibbs' house with the two of them, but then she flipped the switch and became a bitch on heels when she was brought in over the suspicious money transfer which I preferred less.

Poor Jimmy, I totally don't blame him for him declining to autopsy Diane. That scene really brought home the pain and grief they (the support staff) feel even though they aren't field agents. I hope this doesn't mean he's quitting. I would miss our little Autopsy Gremlin.

On  a humorous note, I do enjoy the running gag of Tim being caught in awkward situations with Gibbs and his ex-wives.

I'm not clear why the russian is so obsessed with Gibbs.

In the season premiere, we learned that Sergei has some sort of connection to Ari and blames Gibbs for his death (mistakenly, as it's actually Ziva who killed Ari) and is out to get revenge.

• Love 4

I don't know how an episode can be so funny, yet so heartbreaking. I can't believe that Sergei killed Diane the exact same way as Kate, and then that sad scene with Palmer refusing to cut open another friend. Great episode, but equally terrifying with how crazy Sergei is.

• Love 2

I forgot about the diner scene, but once they made the connection between that and Mike Franks' death, I started wracking my brain, trying to think of all the deaths they've had on this show, ones that have been the most personal, and how they might try to kill someone on the team. I'm just glad no one tried to do a Pacci death recreation. That would be horrible.

I'm still stunned that they killed Diane. She certainly wasn't my favorite of the ex-wives - true to the end, she was a pain in the ass, yelling at Gibbs up to her last breath - but what a horrible thing to happen. To her, to Fornell, to their daughter. It's awful.

Next week's ep looks like a mixture of serious and silly, but I'm not sure that's the right approach after such a major death. It should be a more serious episode, especially since we haven't even seen Fornell yet (and to not have Joe get an awesome scene bums me out, so they better give him something next week!). I think this should have been a 2-parter, like the episodes for Kate's death. It's too big and the events of tonight's episode have too much impact on everyone to not take it more seriously.

I did love how the team was so obsessed with Gibbs and his ex-wives, though. The way they all viewed his interrogation of Wife #2, like they were at the movie theatre, with snacks and everything, laughing over who had the best comebacks... that was pretty funny. I do think they should give Gibbs the benefit of the doubt though. They all treated him like he helped his ex-wife cheat on her fiancé and that is not something Gibbs would ever do.

• Love 4

Oh my lord.

Throughout the entire episode, I kept thinking about writing here how much I fucking hate Diane, I mean, really fucking hate her and really, really wish she'd stayed the bitter, SILENT harpy we saw at the end of Season 4 and why can't she just die. Butting into Gibbs' business, harping on him constantly, etc. And then 10 minutes later, she is killed off. At first I thought it was a dream, that maybe Gibbs didn't save her in time, and that her face would transform into Kate's, but it wasn't and she didn't.

Like camussie, Good Riddance, I say. I couldn't stand her.  And I really could have done without those flashbacks of her and Gibbs, as if she were Shannon, because, she's NOT.

I had to laugh at the guy who Rebecca cheated with. You have someone as hot as Harmon, the casting director couldn't find someone comparable in looks and sexiness?

• Love 4

I had to laugh at the guy who Rebecca cheated with. You have someone as hot as Harmon, the casting director couldn't find someone comparable in looks and sexiness?

I took that as being the point, that she went from one extreme to the other.

Hated this episode.  Hated it.  I didn't like the copycat aspect and find the show to be at its weakest when there are multiple episodes dealing with the latest bad guy who wants to get back at Gibbs or NCIS (ie, the Port to Port killer) or whomever.  I also thought Jeri Ryan was too young to have been Gibbs' second wife.

• Love 2

I think she was his third wife, just the second after Shannon. According to IMDB, she was born in 1968, which makes her 47. He's less than twenty years older. Gibbs, bless his heart, is kind of a dinosaur, so I don't know if that would bother him.

The wife number four episode is showing on USA today. I'm excited to have the full set :)

• Love 1

Why?  Oh god, why, why did they have to kill off Diane?  I liked her, especially for how much she discomfitted McGhee (and Gibbs and Fornell, really).  Why couldn't they have killed off annoying wife #2?  (Oh, yeah, because we wouldn't have cared about that.)  To have her die just like Kate, whom I also really liked, was the ultimate cruelty.  And Palmer's reaction to having to do her autopsy just about tore me up. 

The crime scene in the diner reminded me of L.A. Confidential, not Director Shepherd's death, but then again, I've never seen that episode.

The tone of the promo seemed very inappropriate, especially considering how "to be continued" the ending felt.

• Love 1

I think she was his third wife, just the second after Shannon. According to IMDB, she was born in 1968, which makes her 47. He's less than twenty years older. Gibbs, bless his heart, is kind of a dinosaur, so I don't know if that would bother him.

In the show though, Gibbs was born in about 1958 so that puts him only 10 years older

• Love 1

I hate hate hate hate hate hate Diane as a character so was not in the least bit disappointed to see her go. (TV shows are nice because I can be not in the least bit disappointed when someone dies, without being a total cretin like it would be in real life even if I similarly strongly did not care for the person)

The flashbacks to Jenny's death were kind of like "oh yeah, that happened, didn't it..." I've blocked out those seasons as much as possible. Same with Mike Franks, I try to forget he existed.

We laughed hard at the interrogation scene with the entire team, including Jimmy and Ducky watching. Only thing it was missing was those red & white striped boxes of popcorn (I would have had them each holding one, maybe a popcorn popping machine in the back of the room). So far I like Rebecca, although I liked her better before she got all witchy but interrogation might do that to someone so I'll let it pass for now. I know the show will never, ever let Gibbs be in a stable relationship so I should just finish this sentence now but I sorta thought that he & Rebecca could have potential for a second go around.

• Love 3

I didn't hate Diane, which is why I'm sorry she played the audit card. Once again, government official Diane uses her official powers in a blatantly illegal way to steamroller everyone in the way of her personal agenda while she ignores the boundaries of everyone around her like a twelve year old with her daddy's gun. IRL, Diane would have long since been fired and lost her security clearance over this kind of thing.

The thing is, though, I really think Diane grew beyond that over time, which is why it's kind if disquieting that in the end she died as Gibbs' psycho unprofessional ex-wife. It's almost as if Gibbs chose his ex-wives for being insufferable to protect him from the possibility of being mentally unfaithful to Shannon by falling in love with someone who's still alive. Bit of a waste of Jeri Ryan, though, so far, although there are no coincidences, so maybe...

• Love 1
Did Sergei really kill Diane like Kate was killed?

More specifically, why was there no mention of Kate?  There was all kind of talk about how Jenny died and how Franks died, but there was no discussion of Kate when Diane died.  I didn't need a monologue, but many of us here in the audience got the connection.  I was sure that's the set of flashbacks we were going to go to, but nope, we got that mashup of Diane scenes instead.  Not mentioning (or seeing) Kate at all makes it seem like the characters don't get the connection, and I don't buy that in the least.  If the team got the connection to Jenny and Franks, they'd most certainly realize the connection to Kate.

Like a few others, I also don't care that Diane is dead.  Fornell and Emily are lovely, but I found Diane to be horrid.  We didn't see her do a lot of on-screen mothering of Emily, so there wasn't enough of that relationship for me to miss it or think it was any good (as opposed to Jackie Vance, for instance).  Now, if Emily's FATHER had been killed, I would have been a ragingly pissed off mess, but I can wave good-bye to Diane with no problems, even while feeling bad for Emily and Fornell.  Emily's still got her dad and Gibbs.  It was a pity that Fornell wasn't actually in the episode, but maybe Joe Spano was busy?

I did think the writers tried a bit too hard to make viewers forget that Diane could be a complete bitch.  I think Jimmy should have said "someone I know" instead of "friend."  I liked his speech, but it was a stretch to intimate that Diane was friends with Gibbs' team.  Working with and being friends with are two different things to me.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 4

I know I just posted, but I think ratings information should be its own post.

NCIS returned to 19.5 mil and a 2.8, up 11 and 17 percent from its winter finale to deliver its largest audience since February and a best-since-premiere rating.

TVLine

• Love 1

I have a feeling that they might have skipped showing flashes of Kate's shooting so they wouldn't have to pay Sasha royalties.  I do think it was crappy that they didn't mention her at least tho'.  

I'm not going to miss Diane because this episode brought home how annoying the shrew was.  She really wasn't that important to me (or to the show really, in my opinion) to justify the pathos that Jimmy was showing.  Jimmy met this woman what two or three times at the most?  I appreciate that they wanted to show an emotional scene from the staff but Jimmy wasn't the best choice for this.  McGee, yeah, I can see him being more upset since he spent more time with her than the rest but Jimmy, I don't buy it.  (yeah, I guess it was because it was someone he knew but I really don't see that she could be a "friend") I feel bad, as a long term fan (from episode 1) that I don't remember who the other ex-wife is.  I'm totally blanking on her.  I remember the awful episode with Shannon's idiot mother but not the other ex. 

I did have issues with the location of the shooting because there really aren't any parking decks like that in the District.  The airports, yes, the city, no.  Did they even say where they were supposed to be meeting?  I was too annoyed with Gibbs even believing that was Diane in that crappy phone call.  Where was the famous "gut" feeling?

Was it my imagination or was Tony largely absent during a lot of this episode/case?

• Love 1

More specifically, why was there no mention of Kate?  There was all kind of talk about how Jenny died and how Franks died, but there was no discussion of Kate when Diane died.  I didn't need a monologue, but many of us here in the audience got the connection.  I was sure that's the set of flashbacks we were going to go to, but nope, we got that mashup of Diane scenes instead.  Not mentioning (or seeing) Kate at all makes it seem like the characters don't get the connection, and I don't buy that in the least.  If the team got the connection to Jenny and Franks, they'd most certainly realize the connection to Kate.

I think that's why I feel like the episode should have been a 2-parter. They had this huge thing happen, that could have stirred up a lot of old baggage for those who had been around when Kate's death happened (McGee, Tony, Abby, Ducky, Gibbs), plus the episode felt unfinished. Diane was murdered - where was Wife #2 and her reaction, given they were supposedly 'friends' (enough that Diane knew about her alcohol problem and wanting to make amends and invite Gibbs to her wedding)? And where also was Wife #2 who could still be in danger? I don't think they should all trust that the "plan" was foiled just because they stopped the base operation in that one building. What, that guy can't regroup elsewhere and come up with a new plan that attacks everyone Gibbs cares about? Also, in that final scene Gibbs actually told Tony he wasn't okay - how often does that happen? Next to never, that I can think of. So it feels like something that deserves follow-up. I don't get the gut feeling that next week's episode will have the right tone.

• Love 4

For the record, I liked Wife #2. I like Jeri Ryan and was bummed when they gave her almost the same plot as Diane (wanting Gibbs' approval/blessing for a new wedding). There aren't many actresses that I feel truly capture a decent chemistry between their character and Gibbs (I hated the lawyer, and wasn't fond of Jamie Lee Curtis's character either) but I felt like Jeri had a decent give and take with Mark in her scenes, enough to be believable. I don't need them to get back together (I think Gibbs is pretty vehement about his feelings for his ex-wives, LOL), but I like the idea of him becoming friends with one of them. I was enjoying their reconnection until she revealed she was marrying the Other Man. Boo.

• Love 4

I was too annoyed with Gibbs even believing that was Diane in that crappy phone call.  Where was the famous "gut" feeling?

And aside from that it was obvious, at least to my ears, that the voice on the phone was not truly Diane's but one that had been modified in some way.

• Love 4

I liked it too, jaimesommers. Especially because it's a good reminder that these characters are affected by what they see and have to deal with everyday. They might not realize it, until a moment like this arrives, when the death is more personal, but it does take a toll. And I like seeing that honest reaction when the toll finally takes.

(I do think, however, that Jimmy didn't know Diane enough to have that huge a reaction. I'd expect him to refuse to do an autopsy on one of his closer friends. Then again, I'm not sure NCIS would ever kill anyone else off from the core team. They killed Jenny and Kate, but I can't see them ever doing that to McGee, Tony or Abby. And I don't think I'd ever want them to. That would really break my heart.)

• Love 1

This was the first episode I have seen in a very long time.  I was surprised at how much I think Bishop has grown to be a part of the team.  I did not find her nearly as annoying as I did-Just keep her from sitting on the desks and file cabinets and being so quirky and I think I would like her as part of the team.

I like Jeri Ryan too and for a while I liked the character until she got all witchy.  Her new husband to be is no match at all for the sexiness that is Gibbs.  I fanwanked that she slept with him in the throes of her alcoholism and that's how she bottomed out.  But my scenario does not explain why she would marry the guy so it doesn't quite work.

I did not get the Kate reference at all until I came here.  And I loved Kate (I also grew to love Ziva so there's hope for Bishop and me).  Of course I get it now but since they brought up Jenny themselves and Mike I just didn't follow through on my own.  I was not crazy about Jenny or Mike so I didn't see the parallels on my own at all.  I am just not that attentive a viewer I guess.

I may have to come back to NCIS.  I just wish they had wrapped up the Sergei story.

• Love 1

In the season premiere, we learned that Sergei has some sort of connection to Ari and blames Gibbs for his death (mistakenly, as it's actually Ziva who killed Ari) and is out to get revenge.

I generally love this show, but I don't buy the ending. If Sergei is out for some kind of revenge he had Gibbs in his hideout and presumably knocked out. Why not kill him then. He just killed 3 of your guys and now I'm supposed to buy that he wants Gibbs to suffer more?

• Love 3
I have a feeling that they might have skipped showing flashes of Kate's shooting so they wouldn't have to pay Sasha royalties.  I do think it was crappy that they didn't mention her at least tho'.

If it's true that CBS has to pay Sasha money every time we see Kate onscreen, I think that's awesome in the karmic sense of the universe.  Bellasario practically tried to wipe Kate and everything associated with her off the map of the show because Sasha wanted to leave, yet here she is getting paid years later.  We may not have seen Kate last night, but we've certainly seen her, and you know what they say about karma...

In any case, even with no flashbacks, the mention could have been in dialogue.  For example, just off the top of my head, they all could have been looking at the plasma, Bishop could have been talking about the scene of Diane's murder, and Tony could have interjected with something like, "Yeah, we're all very familiar with this scene...from a long time ago."

• Love 2

Kate's was the mode of death I immediately thought of when they realized someone was mimicking previous deaths. I guess that one stuck with me far more than Jenny or Mike. I was never fond of either of them. I thought Abby might get in the line of fire (because that's whose face was on the screen when I thought of Kate). I was surprised it was Diane - and surprised that Gibbs didn't just shoot Sergei, since he blasted through the others. That's the second time he didn't make sure he made the killing shot.

I think the headaches are bound to be more than caffeine withdrawal - because TV. No one has any symptoms of anything without it being major. Plus, Gibbs was way more rattled at the end than we've ever seen him, I think.

• Love 1

I had two moments in this episode when I started screaming in my head at the characters to do something they obviously would be doing if the writers decided not to make them into complete idiots so the plot could work, which is something the show usually avoids and one of the things I like about it.

When Gibbs met up with Diane I knew what was coming, so my head screamed "GET FLAT ON THE GROUND NOW!!! DO IT NOW! NO, DON'T START RUNNING TO THE CAR! GET! FLAT! ON! THE! GROUND!" Cue Diane getting a bullet through the brain.

Then when Gibbs storms into the hotel room and shot everybody in the room except Sergi and just starts advancing slowly towards him I also knew what was coming.

Head screamed "SHOOT HIM!!! SHOOT THE BASTARD NOW! RIGHT NOW! NO, DON'T START HITTING HIM! SHOOT! HIM! SHOOT BEFORE YOU GET KNOCKED OUT!!!" Which of course then happened.

Other than those two very predicable annoyances it was a powerful episode. After this I appreciate the writers are having a much lighter next episode. Unless they were going to make this a two parter and thus finish this next episode (and I have the sneaking suspicion Sergi's end is going to be reserved for the end of the season if not a two parter bridge into next season) it's a good idea to bring in a light hearted episode to help bring the audience back down after such a harsh episode so we can normalize before they ramp it up again.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 4

As many have said, wow.  I was distracted by me grandson for the first half of the show so I did not get the connection between the shoot out and Jenny.  Of course there is every chance in the world I would not have gotten it if I had been paying attention. 

Oh dear me, must we do another super villain with a personal vendetta against Gibbs?  Been there (many times) done that (many times) don't need to do it again.  

Someone above mentioned that Tony seemed a bit MIA and I agree.  He was in several scenes, but it did feel like he just wasn't there as much as usual.  One of the things I did like was him calling Gibbs on not waiting for back up.  If Gibbs had just waited a few minutes they would have gotten Sergie, or what ever his name is, so him being in the wind is all on Gibbs.

Diane was not one of my favorites so her death doesn't bother me.  Do feel sorry for Emily and Fornell though. 

There were a lot of things that didn't add up.  First, how in the world did they get all of the blood from where they killed all of those victims to where they staged them in the café?  They would have bled out very quickly in the warehouse and there should not have been much blood left for their final performance.  Also, why random people?  If this is supposed to make Gibbs suffer, wouldn't they all be people Gibbs knows?  Sure Gibbs is upset about all of those people dying, but he was not connected to them in any way, with the exception of Diane.

Not sure how I feel about ex number 2.  Jeri Ryan is not one of my favorites, but I do tolerate her.  I feel like she ate Voyager at the expense of the rest of the characters so have never had real fond feelings for her.

• Love 2

I had a really hard time separating Jeri Ryan from Seven of Nine. It was just weird for the entire time she was onscreen, though I did like her character.
I was only half-watching, so I didn't clue in to the diner thing, and I didn't think of Kate at all. When Gibbs and Diane were on the roof, I knew they were going to get shot at, but I still didn't think of Kate and I didn't actually think Diane would die. It wasn't until they showed Diane's face with the gunshot wound in the forehead and the pool of blood seeping out from behind her head that I realized it was mimicking Kate's murder, so I was suitably shocked at her death.

I am definitely expecting a continuation of the next episode and I would love to see Gibbs actually tell Fornell. Gibbs said he was going to do it in person, so the phone call should just be them arranging to meet up or something. Glad Fornell will be in the next episode (sans hair!).

• Love 2

I had a really hard time separating Jeri Ryan from Seven of Nine. It was just weird for the entire time she was onscreen, though I did like her character.

The last thing I saw her in was episodes of Leverage (loved that!) and in guest spots on various shows, so I'd completely forgotten about her as Seven of Nine. 

I am definitely expecting a continuation of the next episode and I would love to see Gibbs actually tell Fornell. Gibbs said he was going to do it in person, so the phone call should just be them arranging to meet up or something.

That would have to be the most horrible conversation to have. I hope this doesn't hurt their friendship. I love Gibbs and Fornell and their cranky conversations on the elevator.

• Love 2

This is the second episode in a row that surprised I really didn't expect it since its been years since I really liked the show. I'm not a fan of Bishop but honestly I haven't liked most of the characters in so long I usually only have it on in the background as I work or clean. But I was surprised by Diane's death. Even after the one that looked like Jenny's and Mike's and the obviously fake phone call, given how annoying Diane is and Gibbs's hates her I didn't expect her to be killed off.  But was very surprised and actually wanted to see what happens next. But agree this should be a two part at least to see Fornell's reaction and it seems too quick to switch an upbeat episode. 

• Love 1

While there were moments that I loved in this episode, such as Jimmy's emotional speech, I really didn't like the way the ex-wives showed up unexpectedly, or the way the team took such joy in Gibbs' discomfort.  It's possible that I've missed signs throughout the series that pointed to Gibbs as being a terrible husband, (and not just an inattentive one), but I don't feel as if he deserved two exes showing up out-of-the-blue, relishing in trying to humiliate him.  Perhaps "humiliate" is too strong of a term, and if so, perhaps I wouldn't have been so disgusted at watching the team enjoy watching the interrogation scene so much.  I hated Rebecca's "couldn't get enough last night?" taunt, and would have preferred that she had been the ex-wife killed off, but that might be some residual hatred left over from when Geri Ryan's character ruined Boston Public for me.  

On the other hand, if Fornell now has full custody of Emily, there could be some amazing scenes with Fornell, Emily, and Gibbs in our future, and anything that gives us more Fornell is OK in my book!

• Love 1

I thought the two women were complete jerks for disrupting his crime scene, and hello - it's a CRIME SCENE, ladies! You don't get to barge in on something like that, and potentially compromise evidence on the scene. Also, I refuse to believe that those two women are so hard-core made of iron that a vicious crime scene like that wouldn't bother either of them because they're sooo intent on yelling at their ex-husband. I mean, there were five dead bodies, and it was bloody. That's not something either of them see every day. I think it was bad direction and bad acting choices and bad writing to not have that be a factor in the slightest for either character. (I would find it pretty believable that Gibbs got several calls from those two women and he ignored them and didn't call back. We've seen him do this. So they probably felt they had no choice but to bombard him where they knew he would be. But I do think they shouldn't have been so rude to the police officer who was trying to protect a crime scene, and they shouldn't have demanded to talk to Gibbs while standing in the middle of his crime scene. That was ridiculous behavior.)

As for Gibbs... he dishes out, I think he can take it. There have been times when he hasn't been so sympathetic to his own team. In fact, I'm pretty sure he gave McGee a hard time for "sleeping" with his ex-wife in a previous episode. McGee got no benefit of the doubt from teasing and humiliation, even though he's a stand-up guy and everyone on that team should have known he would never do such a thing to his boss or to Fornell.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 6

The only reason I'm really upset about Diane's death is because of its effect on Emily and Tobias. I freaking love Emily Fornell and don't want anything bad to happen to her ever again, even though I'm fairly sure she would deal with it like a pro and have a lovely bonding moment with Uncle Jethro while she recovers.

• Love 4

My goodness or Wow, so not expecting that for a meet another of Gibbs ex wives ep.

I didn't get the connection to Director Sheppard death until Abby was talking to Gibbs even then my thoughts weren't copycat killing, nor the Mike Franks one until Ducky worked it  out. But by the time we got to the roof top i did wonder why Gibbs didn't automatically start freaking out.

And Sergei must have been planning this long before the first ep since this was the whole point of Kevin's virus to find out all the hidden info on Gibbs but why now ? Especially if this is about Ari and i think it is mainly cause Dianne was targeted and killed like Kate and killing the women in Gibbs life was Ari's thing. But Ari has been dead for a long time and who actually knows that Ziva killed Ari ? Since that lawyer guy knew in Season 10, so many questions.

But why Dianne ? Why not the second ex wife or Abby or Bishop even. Sergei put the innocent victims together based on their "tax problems" so that meant Dianne was getting involved in the case , new ex wife or not. Is there also a Fornell connection to Sergei ?

I liked the end Gibbs stuffing up, Tony mentioning it, Sergei getting away because that was his plan as Bishop said Checkmate. Sergei knows how Gibbs reacts and has already planned for it. Lone Wolf won't work this time.

I also liked the phone call rather than the convo, i don't need to see Fornell shatter we know that's going to happen. But we know that Fornell has no idea why he is calling Gibbs and that just made it all the more sadder

• Love 2

I had two moments in this episode when I started screaming in my head at the characters to do something they obviously would be doing if the writers decided not to make them into complete idiots so the plot could work, which is something the show usually avoids and one of the things I like about it.

When Gibbs met up with Diane I knew what was coming, so my head screamed "GET FLAT ON THE GROUND NOW!!! DO IT NOW! NO, DON'T START RUNNING TO THE CAR! GET! FLAT! ON! THE! GROUND!" Cue Diane getting a bullet through the brain.

Then when Gibbs storms into the hotel room and shot everybody in the room except Sergi and just starts advancing slowly towards him I also knew what was coming.

Head screamed "SHOOT HIM!!! SHOOT THE BASTARD NOW! RIGHT NOW! NO, DON'T START HITTING HIM! SHOOT! HIM! SHOOT BEFORE YOU GET KNOCKED OUT!!!" Which of course then happened.

Other than those two very predicable annoyances it was a powerful episode. After this I appreciate the writers are having a much lighter next episode. Unless they were going to make this a two parter and thus finish this next episode (and I have the sneaking suspicion Sergi's end is going to be reserved for the end of the season if not a two parter bridge into next season) it's a good idea to bring in a light hearted episode to help bring the audience back down after such a harsh episode so we can normalize before they ramp it up again.

I'm with you 100%! I too was yelling "get down". And why was Gibbs so stupid too not wait for backup at the end! He could hear alot of voices in there. And Sergi has proven to be a very formidable enemy! Just stupid! Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 1