Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

I recommend Paul's baking books too in particular his How to Bake and British Baking. I have most of his books. I actually love the quality of the books in terms of styling and the photography/illustrations. I've made a few of his breads and they've turned out well.

• Love 1

For those who are indeed waiting for the show on PBS...It will be back on Fri Jun 16th (double episode). It seems to be what the Brits call "Series 7" (i.e. the last to air on BBC, last with Mary Berry), originally aired there in August 2016. It appears to be one episode per week thereafter.

• Love 10
On 3/19/2017 at 8:43 AM, Rinaldo said:

I react the same way to Ruby. I know she had her internal issues, but then we all do. I have read defenses of her behavior as "modesty," but to me it's exactly the opposite: arrogance. It's saying "It's important that you know that this is not up to my high standards," rather than just staying quiet and letting your creation speak for you (which it often did quite well, in fact). 

I'm really surprised by the comments about Ruby. I don't see false modesty. I like her a lot. And she's a talented baker.

• Love 6
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, Athena said:

I recommend Paul's baking books too in particular his How to Bake and British Baking. I have most of his books. I actually love the quality of the books in terms of styling and the photography/illustrations. I've made a few of his breads and they've turned out well.

@Athena, do those books have only metric measurements, or are there imperial (American) conversions?

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, illdoc said:

It will be back on Fri Jun 16th (double episode).

Why they continue to drop this wonderful show into the graveyard that is Friday night continues to amaze me.  But better Friday night than not at all.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
9 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

@Athena, do those books have only metric measurements, or are there imperial (American) conversions?

As I live in Canada, most of the cookbooks from the UK have the metric measurements. I would guess that his American editions would have imperial conversions if you buy from a big book seller like Amazon.

19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Why they continue to drop this wonderful show into the graveyard that is Friday night continues to amaze me.  But better Friday night than not at all.

Going by the preview(Look Inside!) on Amazon.com, all his books seem to use metric measurements and the customer reviews are confirming it.

I can't understand what my PBS station is doing. They started airing a new season, I watched the first two episodes, and then they skipped to episode 6. I don't know what season it is (possibly 5) but the next episode is Continental Cakes and the description says that they make a 24 step Swedish princess cake. It's just annoying that I was getting to know these bakers and now suddenly half of them will be gone. Those episodes are also missing on demand. 

9 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I can't understand what my PBS station is doing. They started airing a new season, I watched the first two episodes, and then they skipped to episode 6. I don't know what season it is (possibly 5) but the next episode is Continental Cakes and the description says that they make a 24 step Swedish princess cake. It's just annoying that I was getting to know these bakers and now suddenly half of them will be gone. Those episodes are also missing on demand. 

Do you have Netflix?  They have that season.

If it's any consolation, I just checked wikipedia. It is series 5 (I believe that's the third one to air on PBS, but I could be wrong). Two (non-spoiler) words to refresh memories: Baked Alaska. It has aired (a couple of times) on PBS, so you might have seen that season already.

I just rewatched season 6 and have to say I love Nadia.  I am so glad she won. And her reaction and talking head after winning still make me tear up.  I loved Tamal too...when he was shown joking in the kitchen with his sister.  "But, would you be happy?". "Yeah, I'd have a yacht.". So cute.  Glad all three did fantastic in the Showstopper.  They should be proud.

• Love 6

Season 7 starts on PBS this Friday (June 16.) It's on at 10PM in my area.

As local stations have a lot more leeway about when they broadcast PBS shows than they do with the commercial networks, you should check to see when it airs in your area. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2017-05-22 at 5:23 PM, sum said:

Going by the preview(Look Inside!) on Amazon.com, all his books seem to use metric measurements and the customer reviews are confirming it.

As a Canadian, we are officially metric, but since we're next to the States, we end up using some stuff in Imperial (like cooking).  In my classes, we use metric measurements, but I also include Imperial, since that's what they'll probably use at home.  I've found this website really easy and handy for conversions:  https://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/.  It's great because it will convert based on the ingredient, as different ingredients weight different amounts (if you're using weight measurements).  

Edited by hula-la
  • Love 3

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we're getting the first two episodes episodes of the season (Cake, then Biscuits) on Friday night at 9:00p. Or so says my DVR. So check your local listings!

Thanks for the heads-up. My DVR (cable) originally was just picking up the second (10PM) episode; now it has both of them for Friday night. (I'm in the L.A. area.)

3 hours ago, J-Man said:

Thanks for the heads-up. My DVR (cable) originally was just picking up the second (10PM) episode; now it has both of them for Friday night. (I'm in the L.A. area.)

Same here in Chicagoland.

I woke up this morning to find that my cable box had died in the night.  I made a fast trip to the Comcast store and got a new one but I lost all my saved episodes including a lot of episodes of Master Class.  The only thing that's keeping me from being totally bereft is that a new (to the U.S.) season starts tonight.  Can't wait.  

• Love 2
On 6/25/2017 at 9:30 PM, adam807 said:

In many markets, the show is airing on Fridays, and they ran two episodes the first week. This is what we're basing our podcast schedule on. But here in New York they only showed one the first week, so we're behind. And it's on Sunday afternoons. Of course it's online and the whole thing aired in Britain already, but it's all very confusing. 

Coming out of lurk mode to ask if anyone knows why the NYC PBS affiliate will not be airing TGBBS next week?

On 7/3/2017 at 1:00 PM, janestclair said:

What a bummer.  Now we're going to be 2 weeks behind everyone else.  Channel 21 and Channel 8 don't even show it.  Why do NYC area PBS stations hate us?

I'm in NY also and have only watched GBBO this season from the PBS website through a Roku because Channel 13 seems to hate the idea of having actual viewers.

• Love 3

I wonder if PBS has the rights to the early seasons.  I know they didn't start on PBS with season 1 and I know there are at least 2 seasons I have never seen. I also wonder whether PBS will be airing the new version of the show.

Maybe channel 13 and CPTV in CT are in a contest to see who can piss off the most viewers in the least amount of time. I've also given up trying to find it on TV and watch the PBS website via Roku. I hate CPTV so much, I refuse to do that fucking Passport thing even though there are other shows I'd otherwise watch. Fortunately, they haven't pulled that shit with GBBO.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

they are showing batter week again for me this week, next week they are going to repeat something else? anyone else having to deal with this? 

No, I'm getting the Desserts episode on Friday.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, mlp said:

I lost all my saved episodes including a lot of episodes of Master Class.

This may not be an option for you, but just a reminder that all 3 previous seasons that aired in the U.S. as well as the Masterclass episodes from those seasons are on Netflix.  (And Netflix has several Masterclass episodes that I know never aired on WTTW in Chicago. )

• Love 1

I woke up this morning to find that my cable box had died in the night.  I made a fast trip to the Comcast store and got a new one but I lost all my saved episodes including a lot of episodes of Master Class.  The only thing that's keeping me from being totally bereft is that a new (to the U.S.) season starts tonight.  Can't wait.

Also you can buy the seasons that have aired here, if you're interested. I had them all but one season on my DVR and would watch them on Netflix (I have a problem) but when I saw I could purchase them I did and made some room for new episodes of things. No Masterclasses on the DVDs though.

• Love 1

Also you can buy the seasons that have aired here, if you're interested.

I didn't know that.  I'm not sure if it's allowed here to say where they can be purchased.  If it is, I'd like to know.  If not, just ignore this comment and I'll check around.  Thanks.

I didn't know that.  I'm not sure if it's allowed here to say where they can be purchased.  If it is, I'd like to know.  If not, just ignore this comment and I'll check around.  Thanks.

The DVDs for GBBO UK seasons 4 through 7 can be purchased through PBS.org.  Cheers!

Yep! I bought them at PBS.

Thanks to everyone above for letting me know where I could buy DVDs and also that YouTube has Master Classes.  Lots of them.  I'll have GBBS to watch for ages.  :)

Realizing that scheduling on everyone's PBS station may vary, just a heads up that WTTW in Chicago will air both the semi-finals and the finals next week  at 9pm and 10pm CDT. So, as they say, check your local listings.

• Love 3

is is just the NY area? this week they are repeating botanical and then next week they are starting over with cake and the week after that biscuits - it is driving me nuts, so I have to stop reading this thread, I have no idea why they can't go forward, but I am losing interest in watching this show. 

I'm in the Bay Area (CA), and they've aired the episodes in conjunction with what the mods put up each week. They aired Tudor Week last night. I don't understand why frigging NEW YORK can't get its act together. Or why the PHX just saw the finale (sounds like they got doubled up some weeks). 

Get your act together, PBS! I realize that this is the last season that we'll get of this format with the change from BBC, but geez, give the viewers a little respect. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, holly4755 said:

this week they are repeating botanical

This isn't a repeat for NYC, as last week we got the pastry ep. I hate that channel 13 is so far behind, and I don't understand why such a big show is given such shoddy treatment. I can't believe the umpteenth airing of some Dion special is more popular than Mary Berry!

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I must have watched botanical on line then but they are going back to the first show again next week, cake then biscuits again. Maybe I should not look at the schedule so far in advance. just get pissed off. So NYC is getting even further behind. 

29 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

We're getting the final two episodes this Friday. Is that standard across the board for those of us whose stations have stuck to the main schedule?

That's what we're getting in Chicago.

4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

We're getting the final two episodes this Friday. Is that standard across the board for those of us whose stations have stuck to the main schedule?

Same here. We get the Watertown NY station.