Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

@wilsie Thank you for your thoughtful response and helpful information. I think that I’ll give it a go. I don’t mind it when I’m out of my milk (non-fat...I buy them 2%) but I can’t stand wasting it or not having it taste fresh for them. 

• Love 1

@Mindthinkr You are very welcome.  Since you only use, at most, 3 TBLS, use really small containers so you can thaw out what you want in a short time.  I thaw mine in the fridge.   I freeze them in quart plastic bottles and it takes about two days.  I think it's worth a little time and thought to save a bit of money.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wilsie said:

@Mindthinkr You are very welcome.  Since you only use, at most, 3 TBLS, use really small containers so you can thaw out what you want in a short time.  I thaw mine in the fridge.   I freeze them in quart plastic bottles and it takes about two days.  I think it's worth a little time and thought to save a bit of money.

You can freeze it in an ice cube tray and store the cubes in a Ziplock bag. Just defrost one cube at a time.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, stillhere1900 said:

Jackfruit: Ive been a vegetarian for the pass 11 yrs. I've always like to try different fruits/veggies but until recently I've never had jackfruit.

I found some fresh and canned at a International market. The fresh is really good, I haven't used the canned stuff yet.

Anyone here have any experience with jackfruit ?

Filipino Turon .  Sliced and sugared banana and jackfruit wrapped in an lumpia wrapper allowed to rest for a bit then deep fried. The sugar can seep through the wrapper and caramelize.

Sooooooo good!  First time I had them was at a birthday party. They gave me two, one for me one for my friend. She almost didn't get hers. I went into the kitchen and sort of got their recipe and watched them cook them.... plus I got to eat more of  'em.

I like it fresh but never had canned.

• Love 1
(edited)

I went to look for recipes of this and I want one NOW! 

Do you use bananas or plantains?  Most of the recipes I looked at said plantains...

Had to edit this because @Giselle's post about Filipino Turon got me all distracted!

I made tonkatsu last night at the kids' request.  They wanted to skip the traditional sauce as it is too sweet for them.  I used a combo of black vinegar and soy sauce as a dipping sauce for mine and it was really good!

A few months ago I saw a recipe calling for black vinegar and bought myself a bottle at the Asian market.  Life happened so I never made the recipe and then I forgot what recipe I had wanted to try with it.

It's got a more muted sharpness than apple cider or white vinegar, more flavor than rice vinegar, more depth than red wine vinegar and just different than balsamic to me.  It is the Goldilock's of vinegars apparently.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I went to look for recipes of this and I want one NOW! 

Do you use bananas or plantains?  Most of the recipes I looked at said plantains...

Had to edit this because @Giselle's post about Filipino Turon got me all distracted!

I made tonkatsu last night at the kids' request.  They wanted to skip the traditional sauce as it is too sweet for them.  I used a combo of black vinegar and soy sauce as a dipping sauce for mine and it was really good!

A few months ago I saw a recipe calling for black vinegar and bought myself a bottle at the Asian market.  Life happened so I never made the recipe and then I forgot what recipe I had wanted to try with it.

It's got a more muted sharpness than apple cider or white vinegar, more flavor than rice vinegar, more depth than red wine vinegar and just different than balsamic to me.  It is the Goldilock's of vinegars apparently.

Plantains are easier to find here. Saba bananas are traditionally used. I was told to use very ripe plantains if I couldn't find a Saba source.

I can usually them (Saba) at Island Pacific markets or Seafood City Markets, they are Filipino chains, and sometimes 99 Ranch here in So Cal.

Edited by Giselle
On 5/28/2018 at 11:35 PM, Giselle said:

Filipino Turon .  Sliced and sugared banana and jackfruit wrapped in an lumpia wrapper allowed to rest for a bit then deep fried. The sugar can seep through the wrapper and caramelize.

Sooooooo good!  First time I had them was at a birthday party. They gave me two, one for me one for my friend. She almost didn't get hers. I went into the kitchen and sort of got their recipe and watched them cook them.... plus I got to eat more of  'em.

Lumpia is, basically, a Filipino egg roll. If you can't find lumpia specific wrappers, just use regular egg roll wrappers or maybe won ton wrappers. But I'm not sure if I'd use the more see-through wrappers, like for a lotta the spring rolls.

You know what's evil? Those "flavored" seltzer waters that smell like they'll taste good, but ultimately taste like bubbly ghosts of tasty beverages past ? I fall for one of these things at least once a year SMH...today was one of those new "Bubly" waters.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

You know what's evil? Those "flavored" seltzer waters that smell like they'll taste good, but ultimately taste like bubbly ghosts of tasty beverages past ? I fall for one of these things at least once a year SMH...today was one of those new "Bubly" waters.

I've only tried the Lime version of "Bubly" because I received a sample of it. I didn't like it at all. If all seltzer waters taste like that I guess I'm not a fan.

• Love 2

I don't like chocolate either. whenever I say that to anyone, one of the first questions is "are you allergic to chocolate?" Like the only reason, *I* as a woman wouldn't like chocolate is because i'm allergic to it . lol

I like chocolate okay, but if given a choice between something chocolate-y and a big fat, soft sugar cookie (or better yet, a Snickerdoodle) I'll take the cookie any day.  My mom loved chocolate (especially Hershey's Kisses) and used to ask me 'are you sure you're my child?'  Lol.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I like chocolate okay, but if given a choice between something chocolate-y and a big fat, soft sugar cookie (or better yet, a Snickerdoodle) I'll take the cookie any day.  My mom loved chocolate (especially Hershey's Kisses) and used to ask me 'are you sure you're my child?'  Lol.

Sugar cookies!  Those were the cookies I most looked forward to when I was an undergrad - the cafeteria had different types of cookies on rotation every day and plain sugar cookies WERE THE BEST!  My favourite is still chocolate chip, but really, chocolate chip is ONLY GOOD if it's warm (great with milk, just like warm brownies are AMAZING with vanilla ice cream).  That said, my parents chuckle every time I say that I like warm chocolate chip cookies and milk.  I think it's too North American for them to fathom (they're from Hong Kong).  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

I'm solidly in the omnivore camp, but the Impossible Burger is fantastic.  It tastes and eats like real meat!  Their meatball is delicious,  too.  ??????

I agree!  It’s delicious! My husband even orders it.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, Giselle said:

Plantains are easier to find here. Saba bananas are traditionally used. I was told to use very ripe plantains if I couldn't find a Saba source.

I can usually them (Saba) at Island Pacific markets or Seafood City Markets, they are Filipino chains, and sometimes 99 Ranch here in So Cal.

I just found frozen Saba bananas at Trader Joe's so I bought some to give it a try.  Also frozen Mango & Sticky Rice Spring Tolls.

(edited)
On 5/28/2018 at 11:35 PM, Giselle said:

Filipino Turon .  Sliced and sugared banana and jackfruit wrapped in an lumpia wrapper allowed to rest for a bit then deep fried. The sugar can seep through the wrapper and caramelize.

A few years ago, every once in awhile, my mom would do just the banana in an egg roll, or similar, wrapper. In case I haven't mentioned it, my dad was Filipino. So, yeah, we had banana turon around my house too.

There are recipes you can Google; I just read a couple. But it almost seems to me you shouldn't need a recipe for this. All you do is cut up the banana, sprinkle it with cinnamon & sugar, wrap it like you're making an egg roll, fry it, then sprinkle the outside with more cinnamon & sugar, & enjoy... maybe with a little vanilla ice cream (I think my mom would do that sometimes). Oh... I almost forgot. A turon .brecipe I was looking at was more like a demo, 'cause it was a (short) video. It said you could use spring roll wrappers. But the ones they used looked more like egg roll wrappers, to me--they weren't see-through, like I always think of spring roll wrappers as being. I'm not sure I'd use the see-through (I guess rice paper) wrappers for this.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 1

I had the chance to try a sample of chocolate flavored Ripple, which is pea milk.  Based on the taste, texture and mouthfeel of the product, I'll give this one a hard pass.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, EllieH said:

I had the chance to try a sample of chocolate flavored Ripple, which is pea milk.  Based on the taste, texture and mouthfeel of the product, I'll give this one a hard pass.

Because I have a 6-year-old, pea milk sounds bad.

• Love 1

My local grocer has two newish flavors of Coke called Local Flavors (or something similar): California Raspberry Coke and Georgia Peach Coke.  I am intrigued by the raspberry, but at $4.99 for a 4 pack of 12 oz. bottles I dont see myself buying.  Anyone here tried either flavor?

On 7/13/2018 at 3:39 AM, Mittengirl said:

My local grocer has two newish flavors of Coke called Local Flavors (or something similar): California Raspberry Coke and Georgia Peach Coke.  I am intrigued by the raspberry, but at $4.99 for a 4 pack of 12 oz. bottles I dont see myself buying.  Anyone here tried either flavor?

They are called Local Flavors. I haven't tried either; while I like peach, I'm not sure I'd like it as just a soda flavoring (as opposed to a company making a peach soda like they make an orange or grape soda--so it looks like the flavor & isn't just the flavor in a caramel-colored soda). I'm not necessarily a raspberry fan. If I tried either, it would be the peach flavor.

I didn't even know about the new flavors until I read your post, though it seems like they may have been available for a few months already, if I'm reading this right. As far as the other "regular" Coke flavors go, I like cherry (including Cherry Coke Zero); I can't stand vanilla (good in a milk-based drink, but not in a caramel-colored soda); & I really wish they'd bring back Coke Lime or make Lemon-Flavored Coke (which I think they had as a Diet Coke flavor in other countries, if not here).

On 7/14/2018 at 3:43 PM, BW Manilowe said:

make Lemon-Flavored Coke

I’d happily try that as I love a wedge of lemon in my coke as it helps to lessen the sweetness. 

(I also drizzle lemon on my pizza. It takes away any greasiness. Mini addiction but I can think of many worse!) 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’d happily try that as I love a wedge of lemon in my coke as it helps to lessen the sweetness. 

(I also drizzle lemon on my pizza. It takes away any greasiness. Mini addiction but I can think of many worse!) 

I have had the Diet Coke with lemon and it tasted like lemon pledge. For some reason I have found that the lime is fine but no one can really get the lemon flavor right.

• Love 1
Just now, biakbiak said:

I have had the Diet Coke with lemon and it tasted like lemon pledge. For some reason I have found that the lime is fine but no one can really get the lemon flavor right.

That’s disappointing. Since I rarely drink sodas I should just keep it to a regular one with a wedge of something. 

Lemon pledge...yuck! 

5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

What I assume lemon pledge tastes like! I don’t go around licking tables that have been cleaned with it!

Lol...Sometimes I’ve sprayed things and caught an accidental taste. Yucky. 

Speaking of fruit flavored sodas, I used to really like Izzie pops.  Haven’t had one in years though.  I don’t know why.  

I recently tried the following products from Trader Joe’s:

cauliflower gnocci - meh.  I am not a big pasta eater, so I would just rather have the real thing if I have a craving.  My current fave pasta is the pesto shells from Aldi.  I like to toss them in the rapid rice cooker.  They get a nice carmelized crust on the bottom.

cauliflower fried rice - ok.  I might buy again,  but we eat a lot of cauliflower and regular cauliflower is more substantial. This cooks down to not much.  Still, nice for a change when bored, probably won’t become a staple.

triple cream Brie - yum!  It never seemed to be in stock where I used to live, so I grabbed it when I saw it here.  

Frozen meatballs - I bought two kinds, one was turkey.  Not for me, for the kid who likes them.  He liked them.  I might buy again.  I like Aldi’s version a little bit better.  Ultimately, I’ll buy which ever one the kid eats best.

shue mai - I bought chicken and pork.  They are ok.  The person I bought them for only eats shrimp ones.  So that was a fail on my part.  The picky eater has eaten some today.  So there’s that, at least.

green goddess dressing - wow!  This packs a powerful punch of flavor.  I like it.  I need to continue to experiment with uses for it.

Everything But the Bagel seasoning - ditto the above.  I tried it on broccoli last night and loved it that way.  In some things, the taste is too strong.  I will definitely buy again.

frozen chicken cilantro wontons - a big hit in my house.  I will probably buy multiple packages per trip in the future.

13 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

Boar’s Head Dark Chocolate Dessert Hummus

This has been raved about on a CICO (calories in, calories out) message board.  My curiosity was finally piqued and I found it at the local grocery, so I gave it a try.  Everyone says it tastes like brownie batter.  It pretty much does.  80 calories per 2 tablespoons.

How many tablespoons are in the container? I'm thinking if it tastes like brownie batter, a serving is whatever size the container is.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, auntlada said:

How many tablespoons are in the container? I'm thinking if it tastes like brownie batter, a serving is whatever size the container is.

According to the nutrition info, 16 tablespoons per container.  8 oz./ 226 g. according to the front of the package.  I did not weigh it to double check.

Lay’s introduces 8 new (but limited time availability) “Tastes of America” flavors, based on popular foods in 8 areas of the country. They will be available July 30-September 23. But... the chips will only be available in the region they’re designated as coming from.

If you wanna try all 8 flavors, this article says you can get a variety pack with all of them from Lay’s (I think I either read or heard that all 8 flavors will also be available other places online, like Amazon, but don’t shoot the messenger if they’re not. OK?) The article also says some past flavors, it appears mostly in Lay’s Wavy Chips style, will be rereleased with the 8 new flavors.

By the way, I didn’t try them personally (honestly, I’m not sure I’d try any of them—most, if not all, of the foods the flavors are meant to represent aren’t in this picky eater’s usual dietary preferences). A group of People magazine writers &/or other staffers tried them though. Their impressions of each of the 8 new flavors is the basis for the article linked above. So the post is still in the spirit of the thread title, in my opinion.

Chips are my weakness, and I have absolutely no ability to portion control with them, so I don't buy chips; I just gorge on them when offered elsewhere.  If I was going to buy the variety pack, though, most of them sound worth trying, and several of them sound really good -- the Cajun, fried pickle ranch, and chile con queso ones (even though that last one is described as Tex Mex inspired and I hate Tex Mex, the flavor combo sounds good for a chip). 

I love crab cakes with Old Bay, but the crab spice flavor doesn't sound good as a chip.  Same with the lobster roll flavor.  But I'd try them.  Along with the Thai sweet chili and pimento cheese. 

But deep dish pizza sounds awful, and not just because I hate deep dish pizza -- it's basically just pizza sauce flavored chips, and I don't like traditional pizza sauce all that much (I usually get mine with olive oil, pesto, or alfredo sauce instead), and definitely don't want it on a chip.  Blech; that sounds as gross to me as ketchup-flavored chips. 

These are what I think of when pizza chips are mentioned. I liked them at the time. Not sure if I would now though since I was younger when they came out.

65ca3675fb236e9b50cc8f76407c20d7--best-o

• Love 3

I have just switched to Unsweetened Almond Milk and love it!  It's lower in calories and fat than regular low fat milk and taste just as good, if not better, imo.  I'm getting conflicting information on the other nutritional content though, like calcium, but, I get that in my yogurt, so, I think I'm okay.  I mainly use it for my coffee, but, am planning to start making some smoothies with it.

I've also stopped using artificial sweetner in my coffee.  I'm finishing up my last Diet Sunkist and going with Perrier Sparkling Water with a hint of Orange.  I tried it and really like it.  It's hard to find in the stores though, so, I'll have to order online. 

These are small measures toward a more healthy diet, but, I hope it helps a little. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've also stopped using artificial sweetner in my coffee.  I'm finishing up my last Diet Sunkist and going with Perrier Sparkling Water with a hint of Orange.  I tried it and really like it.  It's hard to find in the stores though, so, I'll have to order online. 

Good for you cutting out artificial sweeteners!

I drink a lot of Talking Rain flavored sparkling water (orange, lime, etc).  It's way cheaper than Perrier or San Pellegrino.  (I don't like the taste of Talking Rain in cans -- too metallic.)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I drink a lot of Talking Rain flavored sparkling water (orange, lime, etc).  It's way cheaper than Perrier or San Pellegrino.  (I don't like the taste of Talking Rain in cans -- too metallic.)

I can try Talking Rain.  I've tried so many sparkling waters and hated most all. I finally lucked up with the Perrier, as I actually liked it.  It's not the cheapest, but, if I enjoy it, I'll pay more.  

4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can try Talking Rain.  I've tried so many sparkling waters and hated most all. I finally lucked up with the Perrier, as I actually liked it.  It's not the cheapest, but, if I enjoy it, I'll pay more.  

Certainly worth paying more for something if it helps you follow through!  Let us know if you try it.  They have some pretty weird fruit combos that I don't like, so I stick to the citrus ones.

Not sure where you live, but I just went to their website and found out that they're a Pacific NW company and list places you can buy it in OR, WA, ID, MT, UT, AK.

OH yes!!!  I think that company also makes Sparkling Ice.  I have tried the Sparkling Ice drinks.  I didn't connect the name.  For some reason, I was connecting that more with a flavored drink, rather than a flavored water.  Not sure what difference it makes, but, I think that I was trying to avoid sweetners and the Sparkling Ice contains Sucralose.

https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=BA844D90-5F51-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

I guess I could still try the water.  I'm in NC, so, if I can't locate it, I could just order it.  I have to order the Perrier too.  I found one store that carries it, but, they are out. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

If you weren’t aware, Talking Rain also puts out Sparkling ICE brand fruit flavored sparkling water, iced tea (with lemon & other flavors) & lemonade (original & other flavors). I’m in NE Indiana & we get it here. But sometimes 1 store will have a flavor/flavors another doesn’t.

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OH yes!!!  I think that company also makes Sparkling Ice.  I have tried the Sparkling Ice drinks.  I didn't connect the name.  For some reason, I was connecting that more with a flavored drink, rather than a flavored water.  Not sure what difference it makes, but, I think that I was trying to avoid sweetners and the Sparkling Ice contains Sucralose.

https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=BA844D90-5F51-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

I guess I could still try the water.  I'm in NC, so, if I can't locate it, I could just order it.  I have to order the Perrier too.  I found one store that carries it, but, they are out. 

Amazon carries the L’Orange Perrier. I think in cans & bottles.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Update on the sparkling water:  I found the Perrier sparkling water hint of orange online with Walmart for $19.98, but, yesterday, by accident, I ran across the same item, Perrier 24 bottle pack at Ollie's in strawberry flavor for $9.99!  I decided to go with it and just change my taste in favor of the strawberry, rather than orange and I'm glad I did.  Huge savings and I love it.  I like the orange, better, but, it's not worth the extra costs.  I'll keep checking Ollie's now for my sparkling water.  I love the prices there. 

I also get my coffee there too.  HUGE savings.  They sell Aspen Ridge Donut Shop coffee, 48 K-cup pods for $9.99!  The savings are just insane.  AND it's very good.  Coming from a Starbucks snob, that's saying something. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

My daughter wanted to make cupcakes this weekend and picked a boxed frosting to go with it.  This one:

image.png.d3c3d6fca6bf999a69f22ed75583a314.png

The small box makes a ton of frosting!  It was fluffy, but kind of had a marshmallow-y taste and texture to me.  Not overwhelmingly sweet though so that was nice.

We made the frosting and decorated the cupcakes, but also had a square pan of cake we made too (not enough cupcake tins).  I decided to make a mix of whipped cream and some of the leftover boxed frosting* to put on the square cake.  I loved how the Frankenfrosting tasted!  More stable than a whipped cream frosting and lighter and not so marshmallow-y tasting than the box mix.

*already made.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, forumfish said:

Back a year or so ago, I bought a jar of fig and muscat wine preserves. Stuck the jar in the pantry and forgot about it. I opened it recently and it is soooo good! I put a little mascarpone on half of a graham cracker and top with a small dollop of the preserves. Heavenly, and just the right amount of "something sweet" after supper.

I bought my jar at World Market.

That is also good spread on a crostini with a bit of goat cheese on top. It’s a hit at my neighborhood block parties! 

• Love 2

I recently tried Luigi's Italian Ice, lemon flavor.  It's really good.  Bought it at Harris Teeter but I think it's sold at other supermarkets.  I'd never had Italian ice before so it was a nice surprise.  The texture is very smooth and the lemon flavor is tart enough so that it isn't OTT sweet.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I recently tried Luigi's Italian Ice, lemon flavor.  It's really good.  Bought it at Harris Teeter but I think it's sold at other supermarkets.  I'd never had Italian ice before so it was a nice surprise.  The texture is very smooth and the lemon flavor is tart enough so that it isn't OTT sweet.

That's what I crave in the summer. All flavors like watermelon, strawberry, etc. are all good.

• Love 1

I like lemon and cherry the best.  

When I was pregnant with my daughter I went through several stages where the only things that I wanted and that wouldn’t make me sick were super cheap frozen pizza and lemon Italian ice.

• Love 4

I haven't been to Olive Garden in a long time but honestly, they make the best Eggplant Parmigiana (better than a lot of Italian restaurants IMO).  The eggplant is crispy and good.  The marinara is delicious. Hope it's still as good as it used to be.  My husband likes that Tuscany soup (not sure if that's the name but it's a potato soup with sausage in it - it's very tasty). I think we need to go back and see if these items are still as good as I recall!

• Love 3
On 9/4/2018 at 9:50 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I haven't been to Olive Garden in a long time but honestly, they make the best Eggplant Parmigiana (better than a lot of Italian restaurants IMO).  The eggplant is crispy and good.  The marinara is delicious. Hope it's still as good as it used to be.  My husband likes that Tuscany soup (not sure if that's the name but it's a potato soup with sausage in it - it's very tasty). I think we need to go back and see if these items are still as good as I recall!

It’s Zuppa Toscana and my SO loves it as well. There are some good copycat recipes on the net, too. 

I worked at Olive Garden in college (it was a hard serving job actually) and I think the quality has gone down quite a bit since then (early 2000s). Not that it was great then but I think it’s sadly worse now. 

Their rule was number of people + one on breadsticks and I always gave more bc it made my life easier. Same on salad. I did about double. And didn’t really have waste so it worked out and I wasn’t a constant refill machine. 

Im not sure how new it is but I tried Cracker Barrel brands Mac and Cheese. They had one like traditional shells and cheese and I got havarti and it’s fine if on buy one get one and otherwise not worth cost. Also tried a more home style one in a bag you baked and it was a letdown. 

I love homemade Mac and cheese and have tried so many recipes it’s comical but also enjoy some of the boxes occasionally. The creamy packet kind and traditional where you add butter and milk- I like them both. Latter only when I cook noodles 6 minutes and eat it almost out of the pan. It loses flavor each moment it sits. A leftover it is not. 

• Love 1

Pumpkin pie pop tarts. Yummy! A coworker used to make Trader Joe’s pumpkin tarts at work because they smelled so good as they were toasting. He liked making the rest of us jealous. I like the pumpkin pie pop tarts better than TJ’s version.

Edited by jenh526
On 9/16/2018 at 9:22 AM, KnoxForPres said:

It’s Zuppa Toscana and my SO loves it as well. There are some good copycat recipes on the net, too. 

I worked at Olive Garden in college (it was a hard serving job actually) and I think the quality has gone down quite a bit since then (early 2000s). Not that it was great then but I think it’s sadly worse now. 

Their rule was number of people + one on breadsticks and I always gave more bc it made my life easier. Same on salad. I did about double. And didn’t really have waste so it worked out and I wasn’t a constant refill machine. 

Im not sure how new it is but I tried Cracker Barrel brands Mac and Cheese. They had one like traditional shells and cheese and I got havarti and it’s fine if on buy one get one and otherwise not worth cost. Also tried a more home style one in a bag you baked and it was a letdown. 

I love homemade Mac and cheese and have tried so many recipes it’s comical but also enjoy some of the boxes occasionally. The creamy packet kind and traditional where you add butter and milk- I like them both. Latter only when I cook noodles 6 minutes and eat it almost out of the pan. It loses flavor each moment it sits. A leftover it is not. 

Stepping in here, regarding the bolded, because I’m not sure if some clarification on “Cracker Barrel” is needed here or not.

If it is, if you’re familiar with the Cracker Barrel Country Store (& Restaurant), this mac & cheese isn’t made by them, though they do serve mac & cheese in the restaurants & they also have some products available for home consumption that, I’m fairly sure, are sold in other stores besides Cracker Barrels.

The Cracker Barrel mac & cheese being discussed is a relatively new product available many places, or wherever, you can find other brands of mac & cheese. It’s another mac & cheese product by Kraft (besides the kinds in the blue boxes—they put the microwaveable cup version of the original blue box product in blue cups/boxes as well; they also had a kinda short-lived frozen version of the blue box kind some years ago), using various varieties of their Cracker Barrel brand cheeses. I knew those from when I was a kid—from all those Kraft sponsored TV specials aired mostly around the holidays, which would include commercials showing how to make various kinds of usually holiday/party foods using Kraft products, & the recipes would usually be printed in TV Guide the week the special program aired—though, until the mac & cheese commercials started airing fairly recently, I hadn’t heard of Kraft Cracker Barrel cheese in so long that I thought it was no longer being produced.