Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I bought a bag of Whole Foods 365 potato chips in the flavor "All Dressed" which means it combines the flavors of barbecue sauce, sour cream and onion, salt and vinegar and ketchup. On the front of the bag it says "Canadian Inspired." Question for any Canadians - what makes these chips Canadian inspired? Is it the ketchup? Do you have similar chips combining many flavors? Inquiring minds want to know! 

How do they taste? I don't know if I really like them. I think the predominate flavor is ketchup. I will continue eating them until I figure it out. 

1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I bought a bag of Whole Foods 365 potato chips in the flavor "All Dressed" which means it combines the flavors of barbecue sauce, sour cream and onion, salt and vinegar and ketchup. On the front of the bag it says "Canadian Inspired." Question for any Canadians - what makes these chips Canadian inspired? Is it the ketchup? Do you have similar chips combining many flavors? Inquiring minds want to know! 

How do they taste? I don't know if I really like them. I think the predominate flavor is ketchup. I will continue eating them until I figure it out. 

All Dressed is in itself a flavour in many chip companies up here. It's a Canadian flavour like Ketchup is. It is basically the flavour that includes all over chip flavours.

The taste varies by brand and I haven't had them in awhile, but most of them tasted more of the BBQ to me. Ketchup chips are more distinct than them.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Athena said:

All Dressed is in itself a flavour in many chip companies up here. It's a Canadian flavour like Ketchup is. It is basically the flavour that includes all over chip flavours.

The taste varies by brand and I haven't had them in awhile, but most of them tasted more of the BBQ to me. Ketchup chips are more distinct than them.

Mystery solved! Thanks, @Athena! Still on the fence on whether I like them. I don't not like them.

It was in a gift bag someone gave me.  A candy bar with segments like a Caramello or a Sky Bar.  The filling was white like the creamy center of an Oreo with chocolate cookie bits mixed in covered in a surprisingly good dark chocolate. 

(edited)

Well, my grocery store gave me an electronic coupon for a free Milka Oreo Chocolate Candy bar - heading to the store soon, so I'll be sure to pick one up.

ETA: I'm giving it a thumbs up. Oreo cream with cookie crumbs wrapped in chocolate. Yum. As my husband says, the 1st one is always free. Retail at the store was $1.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

I hope this isn't off topic but here it goes...

My grandson asked me the other day about what are artichokes. I gave him an answer and then asked him and his siblings if they would like me to make them so they can try them. They thought the part about scraping the meat off the leaves with your teeth sounded fun. I'm planning to do it this weekend but would like any recommendations on what type of sauce to dip them in. In the past I've done Hollandaise but would like them to have a healthier choice. Any suggestions? Thank you. 

55 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

In the past I've done Hollandaise but would like them to have a healthier choice. Any suggestions? Thank you. 

My dad always served them with a vinaigrette of some sort. Or sometimes simply olive oil and red wine vinegar mixed together.

Having said that, the heck with healthy, especially for somebody trying them for the first time. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My grandson asked me the other day about what are artichokes. I gave him an answer and then asked him and his siblings if they would like me to make them so they can try them. They thought the part about scraping the meat off the leaves with your teeth sounded fun. I'm planning to do it this weekend but would like any recommendations on what type of sauce to dip them in. In the past I've done Hollandaise but would like them to have a healthier choice. Any suggestions? Thank you. 

I eat a fresh artichoke about twice a week-love them! I have tried the red wine like @JTMacc99 suggested but my favorite way to eat them is with a garlic, mayo, lemon mixture. Never tried hollandaise but the mayo is probably just as bad for you :)

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Having said that, the heck with healthy, especially for somebody trying them for the first time. 

I totally agree.  Let them try it first.  You can go to healthy later or just make it a special treat.  We all need those indulgent special treats from time to time.

Edited by ariel
2 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

My mom always made them stuffed,  mmm delicious.   Steamed and dipped, I use melted butter or ranch.  None of these are healthy of course.

Me too. The only thing they get dipped in is the cooking liquid/broth.

8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Butter.  Show them to only dip the tip in and not over do it.  That is the best way to start with kids, most if not all of them love butter.  I do too!  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

My mom always made them stuffed,  mmm delicious.   Steamed and dipped, I use melted butter or ranch.  None of these are healthy of course.

What did she stuff them with? Where did she put the stuffing? Hollow out to the heart and fill or stuffed in between the leaves?  How do you cook it stuffed (or do you cook first and then stuff?) If you have a recipe that you'd like to share I'd appreciate it. 

She stuffed them with fresh Italian breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and lots of garlic.  You trim the pointy parts of the leaves, stuff the crumbs right into the leaves as much as you can, drizzle all over with olive oil and steam in a small amount of water in a covered pot until you can pull the leaves out easily.  You can find many variations of these in Italian restaurants though many use buttered cracker crumbs instead of bread.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

She stuffed them with fresh Italian breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and lots of garlic.

I saw Ann Burrell make a version like this. They looked fantastic. Here's the recipe and directions.

• Love 1

Artichokes are low in calories (40), delicious and nutritious.  They are low in saturated fat, very low in cholesterol, good source of Niacin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.

My thought on the topic. :^)  Why load them up with bread crumbs and cheese when dipping each leaf in a small amount of butter or seasoned mayo is so good.   I use only 1 Tbs of either,  which brings the calorie count to 140.  For me it is a meal.  The flavor is subtle and you get to taste it this way too!  

• Love 2

My favorite stuffed artichoke preparation is the Stuffed Artichokes Fontecchio recipe from The Silver Palate Cookbook.

As for lighter dipping sauces, you can sub yogurt for mayo (well, you can if you like yogurt; I don't, so that's out for me).

Or a lemon juice/olive oil/white wine base with whatever flavors you want to add (e.g. garlic and chiles) - that I have done, although I usually just make a mayo-based sauce because that's what I like best.

A salsa verde can work, too.

I remember mentioning this recipe (I've never made it) when someone else asked about lighter dipping sauces; it uses butter, but only a tablespoon for 4 artichokes worth of dip.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ariel said:

I have heard that artichokes are hard to pair with wine.

Well, on their own, they don't go particularly well with tannic reds, but will be fine with light reds. 

And if you stuff them with cheese and butter and breadcrumbs and other wine friendly stuff, have at it with a Cabernet. 

2 hours ago, ariel said:

Apparently they are and Tiffany did it on TC to the amazement of the judges. 

8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I saw Ann Burrell make a version like this. They looked fantastic. Here's the recipe and directions.

That's very similar to what I ate growing up, but we added the olive oil after stuffing the leaves so it wasn't a "paste."  Either way is probably great.

6 hours ago, wings707 said:

Artichokes are low in calories (40), delicious and nutritious.  They are low in saturated fat, very low in cholesterol, good source of Niacin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.

My thought on the topic. :^)  Why load them up with bread crumbs and cheese when dipping each leaf in a small amount of butter or seasoned mayo is so good.   I use only 1 Tbs of either,  which brings the calorie count to 140.  For me it is a meal.  The flavor is subtle and you get to taste it this way too!  

Well, why make caprese salad when you can eat fresh tomatoes for a lot less calories?  Who needs cheese?  Variety, after all, is the spice of life as they say.  Why not try a variation on the food you love?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Well, why make caprese salad when you can eat fresh tomatoes for a lot less calories?  Who needs cheese?  Variety, after all, is the spice of life as they say.  Why not try a variation on the food you love?

I get your point!  LOL.   Artichokes are a food I adore and I love their subtle taste.  I certainly indulge,  but this vegetable is one I think is best left alone.  I eat well but do keep my eye turned toward calories and carbs. I have to.  My metabolism is not as it used to be so I take advantage of foods that require less to make them tasty.  I would rather take my calorie hit at the Cheesecake Factory.  That is one dessert I consider a meal in itself and indulge occasionally.   Another passion is Lays Kettle Chips with a tuna sandwich on buttered toast. And there is bacon, of course, love that and eat it often.  

I put artichokes in the good without much ado category. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ariel said:

The late great Julia Child said " everything in moderation, including moderation".  I miss her.

I loved her "a little butter"  watching her put half a stick in the skillet.  Adorable! 

• Love 3

Just had a second try at baking Pistachio and White Chocolate Chiffon cake.

My first trial was decent but not sweet enough due to my obsession with cutting sugar for the boys. The texture was great though for a nut meal ladened cake!

Will see how this second round fares tomorrow when we cut into it! 

On 5/3/2017 at 7:18 PM, wings707 said:

Butter.  Show them to only dip the tip in and not over do it.  That is the best way to start with kids, most if not all of them love butter.  I do too!  

This. Just butter.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ariel said:

I haven't had a Big Mac is over 20 years.  I had one the other day.  They suck. 

It's the sauce that's good. If they would sell the bottles in grocery stores I would buy it.

1 hour ago, rcc said:

It's the sauce that's good. If they would sell the bottles in grocery stores I would buy it.

I thought the sauce was just Thousand Island Dressing?

About the artichoke discussion from earlier? The French way is often the best and in this case it it. Dip the tips in a "heavy" vinaigrette (that includes Dijon mustard in addition to oil, vinegar (or lemon juice), and salt and pepper). Yum yum.   

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ariel said:

I thought the sauce was just Thousand Island Dressing?

Yes, but which one and I've heard that there is ketchup in it too.

Whatever it is it is the best condiment for a burger IMO but I hate McDonald's food and haven't eaten there in a long time.

7 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

I tried a traditional  "cream tea" in Cornwall and Devon in England and OH MY GOD IT IS THE BEST THING EVER CLOTTED CREAM IS AMAZING.

Yep. I miss it too. You can find it in North America, but it doesn't feel the same even though it is imported. Making it is a pain. Ahh well; I'll have to live with my memories.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, ariel said:

They would pair well with a Sancerre. Alas, I'm feeding them to kids so wine is not an option. 

• Love 1

Here's the recipe for my special sauce I sometimes use when I give my kids one of those Purdue home style chicken patties on a bun:  Mayonnaise, Ketchup. Mix together with a spoon. 

• Love 3

Went to a restaurant last night with friends to try their barbecue oysters. They were breaded and fried, then covered in Crystal Hot Sauce with crumbled blue cheese on top. I would have called them Buffalo oysters! They were the best I've ever had. They melted in your mouth with no chewiness whatsoever. As I'm allergic to anything else out out the water (except clams and oysters) this was quite the treat (hearing when you are going out to dinner with friends to a seafood place when you are allergic is usually a ho hum experience so I was iffy about eating there) and I'm going to try and copy them when I get home. 

Red Fish Grill...if you are ever in New Orleans I highly recommend it. Everything was perfection. 

• Love 4

I tried a bahn mi sandwich today for the first time at a new Vietnamese place that opened near me.  That's all they serve and the place has almost a solid five star rating on Yelp.  It was tasty, but I wasn't really blown away, especially since I've been off carbs for a while and hadn't had any actual sandwich in a really long time.  Too bad, from everything I had read about bahn mi sandwiches, I was kind of hoping to become a regular at that establishment. 

Hi Guys 

Hubby is visiting the States soon and he wants to bring back food for us to try. 

Any chocolate/lollies/cookies that are American classics we should try?

Preferably stuff that's easy to get from the supermarket.

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hi Guys 

Hubby is visiting the States soon and he wants to bring back food for us to try. 

Any chocolate/lollies/cookies that are American classics we should try?

Preferably stuff that's easy to get from the supermarket.

Where in the US is he going? A lot of the good/special things are regional.

• Love 1