Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Those cauliflower and broccoli sides look tasty, but there is virtually no nutrition if you read the label at the link.  Definitely lower in calories and fat, but I question their claim of "one serving of vegetables" if there is no vitamin A or C in a dish that has either broccoli or cauliflower. 

I recently had a coupon for a free RXbar .  I got the chocolate sea salt flavor.  I enjoyed it.  It was nice and chewy.  I will probably try a few other flavors.

I also recently tried a larabar.  I didn’t care for the texture and I thought is tasted too sweet.

On 10/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, Scatterbrained said:

I recently had a coupon for a free RXbar .  I got the chocolate sea salt flavor.  I enjoyed it.  It was nice and chewy.  I will probably try a few other flavors.

I also recently tried a larabar.  I didn’t care for the texture and I thought is tasted too sweet.

Do any of them not have dates?? I've only ever seen ones with dates. (I absolutely can't stand dates.) The last time I had a Larabar I thought the texture was weird as well. The taste was okay, but I like sweet, not enough to get over the texture though.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:37 AM, kathyk24 said:

Marie Callender has a new line of entrée bowls. My favorites are the Beef and Broccoli and Macaroni and Cheese.

I tried the macaroni and cheese. It is really good. I bought a couple more so I'll have it on hand when the craving strikes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Do any of them not have dates?? I've only ever seen ones with dates. (I absolutely can't stand dates.) The last time I had a Larabar I thought the texture was weird as well. The taste was okay, but I like sweet, not enough to get over the texture though.

Unfortunately, they all have dates.  I’m not sure what you are looking for, but Kind makes a lot of goods products.

21 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

Unfortunately, they all have dates.  I’m not sure what you are looking for, but Kind makes a lot of goods products.

Oohh, some of those Kind bars sound really good (I need that Madagascar vanilla bar like yesterday). Thanks!!!

• Love 1
On 10/15/2018 at 9:42 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I’m partial to the caramel and sea salt variety.

Same.  The peanut butter one is good as well.  And so is the chocolate mint! 

There are some Kind bars that are like birdseed, blech.  I think there's a blueberry one that's like that.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:42 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I’m partial to the caramel and sea salt variety.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:43 PM, larapu2000 said:

There are some Kind bars that are like birdseed, blech.

I love Kind bars as well. I have the dark chocolate nuts and sea salt in my bag today. But I could not agree more about some of them being like birdseed. It's extremely off-putting. I tried the RX Bar and a sample packet of their peanut butter, I also hate dates but wasn't able to taste it. The nut butter package says there is 1/2 a date in it so it's not a ton to begin with. 

On 10/14/2018 at 11:48 PM, Scatterbrained said:

I’m not sure what you are looking for, but Kind makes a lot of goods products.

I tried KIND bars a couple of months ago and my favorites are the Maple Glazed Pecan & Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Pecan.  They are not too sweet and I love nuts.

• Love 2

I'm taking a ravioli with browned butter sauce to a pot luck on Thursday. Tonight I made browned butter for the first time, and it was a success! We poured it on steamed green beans and baked potatoes at dinner tonight. It really does have a delightful nutty flavor.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm taking a ravioli with browned butter sauce to a pot luck on Thursday. Tonight I made browned butter for the first time, and it was a success! We poured it on steamed green beans and baked potatoes at dinner tonight. It really does have a delightful nutty flavor.

Try it in cookies - it makes them sort of butterscotchy. These are very good: Brown Butter and Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies (still good without the toffee).

Edited by MargeGunderson
Added cookie recipe link
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Try it in cookies - it makes them sort of butterscotchy.

While I was Googling how to make browned butter I found a site on how to use it, and they mentioned cookies.

Edited by chessiegal
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Were they not labeled?

They probably were, but I didn't think to look and I had a coupon. However even after eating a small amount, I was kind of surprised by how much they affected me. That tells me that milk is probably the chief binder.

I feel like Kroger has been crushing it on their private brands for a while now.  They have had some interesting kettle and ripple chip flavors, like Smoked Gouda, Carolina Barbecue-and they've all been really tasty!

I just tried their Moroccan style barbecue sauce and it.is.the.bomb.  They also have a Thai inspired one and a few others.  They're in a glass jar, in the barbecue sauce section.  I keep buying them in multiples (i'm single) because I'm terrified they'll get discontinued.  I'm sure I could come up with a recipe, the ingredients statement is pretty basic, nothing weird, but seriously-so good!!  I recommend sauteeing some onions and braising chicken thighs in them, then making a bowl with Garam masala seasoned carrots & sweet potatoes.  Maybe some farro or couscous.  

• Love 2

Got these at Sam’s Club the other day. They are so good. They’re in irregular shapes so I just eat one clump for a slightly sweet treat after lunch. I could devour the entire bag but am trying to show restraint knowing that next Thursday will be ugly diet-wise.

1C196E28-BE8B-435C-A959-C05686801DF0.jpeg

• Love 2

We had a regular salad the other week, but it’s how the lady dressed it was unusual to me. She took a packet of Italian (Good Seasonings) dressing mix and sprinkled it on the salad and then squeezed a lime over it. Tossed and served. The flavor was a little strong, and it was somewhat salty. Usually I see this stuff put in a bottle with oil and vinegar, shaken and served. Interesting. 

It's only recently I've tried fried chicken and waffles and it's a rather intriguing mix of fried with sugary opulence- not unlike bacon with syrup. BTW, since the topic got mentioned in the Commercials That Make You Scratch your head, this is as good a place as any to mention that it's only in recent years that any restaurants in my Southeastern US city have offered it- as it is NOT either traditional meat-and-three/ soul food (those cuisines are virtually identical for good reason). It seems that fried chicken and waffles were first concocted by Harlem musicians in the late 1920's/ early 1930's who had rehearsed/played far too late for supper but too early for breakfast AND liked their traditional Southern fried chicken (since they'd mostly emigrated from the US Southeast) yet also had learned to like waffles which then  were almost exclusively a Northern breakfast item. Anyway, someone got the idea to have BOTH together at the same time in the wee hours ( e.g. from 4AM to 6AM) so they could sup/breakfast and it became a Harlem fave for decades but it's only been in recent years that it spread to other parts of the US!

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It's only recently I've tried fried chicken and waffles and it's a rather intriguing mix of fried with sugary opulence- not unlike bacon with syrup. BTW, since the topic got mentioned in the Commercials That Make You Scratch your head, this is as good a place as any to mention that it's only in recent years that any restaurants in my Southeastern US city have offered it- as it is NOT either traditional meat-and-three/ soul food (those cuisines are virtually identical for good reason). It seems that fried chicken and waffles were first concocted by Harlem musicians in the late 1920's/ early 1930's who had rehearsed/played far too late for supper but too early for breakfast AND liked their traditional Southern fried chicken (since they'd mostly emigrated from the US Southeast) yet also had learned to like waffles which then  were almost exclusively a Northern breakfast item. Anyway, someone got the idea to have BOTH together at the same time in the wee hours ( e.g. from 4AM to 6AM) so they could sup/breakfast and it became a Harlem fave for decades but it's only been in recent years that it spread to other parts of the US!

There’s a place near me that serves chicken and waffles on Wednesday nights for $1.95. It’s a whole waffle (covers a plate) and half a chicken breast. They couple it with $5 glasses of wine...and not the cheapest stuff. Obviously it’s very popular, but the best part is what’s next door. A free Bluegrass jam. You can gave a great night out for $10. (I’m in the south). 

P.S. Thank you for the history of this great combination. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a P.S.
  • Love 3

They sell/sold it at the Motown Cafe restaurants; I once had it at the restaurant they used to have in Las Vegas; Grand Lux Cafe, a sister restaurant to Cheesecake Factory, also sells it—but they make it with chicken strips/fingers instead of pieces like breasts, legs, etc (which I think is a cop out). I think IHOP also has it & makes it with strips. 

KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) has it through the end of the year. They have it as the original chicken & waffles or a piece of chicken between 2 waffles “sandwich”. The KFC website says you can get either version of chicken & waffles with Original Recipe chicken too; the linked article doesn’t mention that.

On 11/24/2018 at 9:54 AM, Blergh said:

There used to be a place, Lucky J, that had locations in Austin and the Hamptons. It didn't have the most successful execution of either the chicken or the waffle, but it had my favorite taste variation: fried chicken, waffle, bacon, swiss cheese, hot sauce, and maple syrup. I suppose you could substitute hot honey or a spicy maple syrup for that last two ingredients, but I did like how the vinegar in the hot sauce cut through the fatty richness of the dish.

There is another place near me that's known for their waffle sandwiches.

https://www.wildchixwaffles.com

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

I never liked sweet mixing with my fried chicken.  I'd tried chicken and waffles a couple of times and...eh.  However, I was in NY in August and went to Spoonfed on 51st street and...wow!  I now "get" chicken and waffles.  It was spectacular!!  As was the rest of the food there.  And the service is so welcoming.  So if you're in NY for brunch, check it out.  Or for any other meal - it's just that they only serve chicken and waffles for brunch. 

• Love 1

Chicken and waffles was never a concept I "got".  I was encouraged (read bullied) into trying it a few times and I was never enlightened.  But I do "get" how some places do such a good job that the appeal is suddenly realized.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:54 AM, Blergh said:

it became a Harlem fave for decades but it's only been in recent years that it spread to other parts of the US!

Yes to originating in Harlem, but it has also been in Los Angeles for a very long time, not just in recent years -- Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles (founded by a Harlem native) has been doing big business here for over 40 years, and there have been several other options for at least twenty.  Roscoe's is an institution, and whenever anyone is skeptical about the combination, I take them there - if you don't like it there, you won't like it anywhere* - and almost everyone loves it, while no one has disliked it yet (just a "sure, tasty, but I don't get the hoopla" reaction). 

*We have enough other restaurants serving it that local publications have "best chicken & waffles in L.A." lists, but Roscoe's is king.

I'm in the "really good when I'm in the mood for it, but that's maybe once a year" camp. 

Edited by Bastet
6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I’ve been to Roscoe’s in Pasadena, so I’m probably in the group who won’t like it anywhere.

I've never been to that one - I'm iffy on satellite locations in general when it comes to restaurants - but I'm sure it's close enough to the original that, yep, you're just not into it.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, DeLurker said:

I bought some Panera Baked Potato soup at a grocery store since I’ve had, and liked it, in the restaurant.  It was incredibly bland and disappointing.

In that same vein. I bought their grocery store mac n cheese which I love in the restaurant and it was so wet and overly cheesy that I was disappointed I wasted the money. I also tried their store version of the tortilla soup and it was overly bean-y (so many beans - it was more beans than broth!) and tasted nothing like the store. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mishy said:

In that same vein. I bought their grocery store mac n cheese which I love in the restaurant and it was so wet and overly cheesy that I was disappointed I wasted the money. I also tried their store version of the tortilla soup and it was overly bean-y (so many beans - it was more beans than broth!) and tasted nothing like the store. 

Same for the broccoli cheese soup . And worse- I live alone and got it at Sam’s (the 2 bucks off sale or whatever got me) so I wasted a ton of it. 

However anytime something is described as “overly cheesy” my ears perk up so maybe I should give the mac a go in a normal persons serving. I’ve never had the real at Panera to compare. 

I used to go to Panera a lot and do the pick two. Then when it became like tiers of pick two they’d say “that will be 10.75 (with water)” and while I’m not a huge eater often wondered if I could say “please sir, I want some more”.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 5:57 PM, KnoxForPres said:

However anytime something is described as “overly cheesy” my ears perk up so maybe I should give the mac a go in a normal persons serving. I’ve never had the real at Panera to compare. 

It was overly wet/loose and maybe I read that as overly cheesy and it's not like that in the restaurant. In the restaurant it's just nice and creamy but this was very gloopy and wet for some reason. But perhaps it won't turn you off like it did me because I am used to the restaurant version and you haven't it before.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, DeLurker said:

I bought some Panera Baked Potato soup at a grocery store since I’ve had, and liked it, in the restaurant.  It was incredibly bland and disappointing.

I got Panera lemon chicken soup at the grocery store and there were very few pieces of chicken. My favorite store does their own soup to go and I prefer it to Panera.

In the last 5+ years, new (to me) apple varieties keep showing up in my grocery stores and I feel obligated to give each of them a try. 

Yesterday I found Autumn Glory and Evercrisps. 

Evercrisps seemed very similar to Honey Crisp apples (very popular in casa DeLurker) so that one will be bought again. 

Autumn Glory was the most unapple like apple I've ever tasted, although I did like it very much.  The packing box said stuff about notes of cinnamon and a caramel like taste.  It was nice and firm, although not necessarily crisp.  I wonder how it would hold up in baking?

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

In the last 5+ years, new (to me) apple varieties keep showing up in my grocery stores and I feel obligated to give each of them a try. 

Yesterday I found Autumn Glory and Evercrisps. 

Evercrisps seemed very similar to Honey Crisp apples (very popular in casa DeLurker) so that one will be bought again. 

Autumn Glory was the most unapple like apple I've ever tasted, although I did like it very much.  The packing box said stuff about notes of cinnamon and a caramel like taste.  It was nice and firm, although not necessarily crisp.  I wonder how it would hold up in baking?

On a recent Martha Bakes episode, she had an apple orchard guy on who is working to save a bunch of heirloom varieties that have kind of gone under the radar or almost lost completely.  It makes me wonder if your 2 new ones are one of the ones he saved!  Bonus points that he looked like Johnny Appleseed's long lost grandson, lol.

I love Honeycrisp.  I don't care what they cost.  They are unparalleled.  I made Ina Garten's mile high apple pie with them, and I called it the $20 apple pie, haha.  But that's what it cost.  (It was delicious, BTW).

• Love 2

If you like peaches, try “ PF Flamin’ Fury 17”.  Freestone, born and bred in SW Michigan and amazing.  They keep wonderfully in the fridge, great for pies, and freeze well too, for winter peach eating.  (Yes, I am eating some right now.)

From USA TodayM&M’s Introduces New Flavors, Candy Bars

The story is from last fall (I think). I’m posting now because the candy bars are/should be out now. There are 5 flavors: Milk Chocolate, Peanut, Crispy, Almond & Crispy Mint. All are milk chocolate bars with M&M Minis. I bought 3 single bars (1 each of the Milk Chocolate, Crispy, & Crispy Mint) through Amazon & got them last week but I haven’t tried them yet.

I doubt I’ll try any of the new M&M flavors. None of them really appeal to me; especially not the Chocolate Hazelnut flavor & the 1 with jalapeño, the name of which I’ve forgotten already.

I tried the wavy Pringles in the regular flavor.  Seemed less salty than regular Pringles (which I quite liked) and not oily like most regular wavy chips.  The texture seemed wrong though.

I’d eat them if they were around, but wouldn’t choose them over the original style.

5 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

I am hopelessly addicted to Cocoa Dusted Almonds from Costco / Kirkland.  :P

Trader Joe's once had those, too. I was heartbroken when they were discontinued. But it's probably just as well. No more temptation to eat an entire plastic tubful!

• Love 1