Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Good lord, the horror...

I have not had these, but I know I would hate them. This abomination should not be!

halloweiners.jpg.3ddff5b3453704b437b0033605448d41.jpg

That's disgusting. Almost as bad as a recipe that came on a news feed for pumpkin spiced crab cakes. An abomination! I know purists who won't put Old Bay in their crab cakes, say it masks the sweetness of the crab. My fish monger doesn't put any Old Bay in his crab cakes, and they are delicious.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Good lord, the horror...

I have not had these, but I know I would hate them. This abomination should not be!

halloweiners.jpg.3ddff5b3453704b437b0033605448d41.jpg

Oh my god.  Disgusting isn't a strong enough word for how disgusting those look.  Even without the licorice, they look gross, but the licorice takes them to a whole new level of disgusting.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

That's disgusting. Almost as bad as a recipe that came on a news feed for pumpkin spiced crab cakes. An abomination! I know purists who won't put Old Bay in their crab cakes, say it masks the sweetness of the crab. My fish monger doesn't put any Old Bay in his crab cakes, and they are delicious.

I'm with you -- this pumpkin spice madness has gone way too far if crab cakes are being ruined by it.

• Love 5

Since Chowhound has bitten the dust, along with it's Trader Joe's Yay May Nay thread, I've come here to post that I tried Trader Joe's Cuban Style Citrus Garlic Bowl - and it was disgusting!  The chicken bits were okay but the rice was sweeter than anything I would choose for dessert, never mind a main course.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Healthy Choice has larger frozen dinners called Healthy Choice Max which are very good.

A bit of advice: Every time you think to buy one of these "healthy" frozen meals (whatever the brand), check the sodium count. I've noticed that a lot of them use great organic ingredients and are low on calories and sugar, but most are incredibly high in sodium (anything over 600 on the sodium meter is going to be all your salt for the entire day, which isn't really practical for most people needing to keep their blood pressure down). I am on my own and would love to have a few frozen dinners stashed in the freezer for meals when I am rushed but can't find any that don't have too much salt! Getting back to the topic: Trader Joe's Chicken Tikka Masala and Lamb Vindaloo frozen dinners have proven to be delicious and relatively low in sodium I recently discovered!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Has anyone else tried the 90-second instant cooked rice packets? I think they were first created by an Indian rice company but Uncle Ben's and Rice-a-Roni have  quickly picked up on the technology and offer  a very wide variety! Anyway, for those of us who have a limited time to prepare food due to our work schedules,etc. these are VERY convenient and actually quite delicious & flavorful.

Oh, and just by adding another packet of precooked meat/tofu to the perfectly and instantly prepared rice then mixing it up as well as having some apples sauce and some milk/juice to wash it all down, it makes a satisfying meal! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Has anyone else tried the 90-second instant cooked rice packets? I think they were first created by an Indian rice company but Uncle Ben's and Rice-a-Roni have  quickly picked up on the technology and offer  a very wide variety! Anyway, for those of us who have a limited time to prepare food due to our work schedules,etc. these are VERY convenient and actually quite delicious & flavorful.

Oh, and just by adding another packet of precooked meat/tofu to the perfectly and instantly prepared rice then mixing it up as well as having some apples sauce and some milk/juice to wash it all down, it makes a satisfying meal! 

I've tried those. I like the curried potatoes, and other things in the international food section of my grocery store. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/10/2022 at 9:23 PM, Blergh said:

I love them.  I am an excellent cook, but always seem to not nail rice.  And it's so simple which is why it's so frustrating!!!!

• Love 2

I recently bought gluten free oreos for my father who has celiacs. I have to say they're probably the best gf version of a food I've ever tried. The taste and texture is virtually identical to regular oreos. And as an added bonus, at least in my area, they're the same price and package size as regular oreos.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

image.png.357528f055e120ddf670d1f9d2f1e77a.png

Impossible Burgers, UGH!!  

So last weekend I ordered a couple of these….one for dinner and one for my mom’s lunch the next day.  I had no idea they were plant-based soy burgers, I thought they were called impossible because they were impossibly good! 

I took a bite and was thoroughly grossed out!  I thought they weren’t cooked all the way, despite my asking for them to be well done.  I put mine in the microwave to cook more, only for it to taste the same....plus, it had an awful after taste.  I called my delivery service and went on a rant, saying that the restaurant where I got them should be closed for serving crappy burgers and I wanted a full refund immediately.  From Saturday night into Sunday night, me and the toilet were as close as peas and carrots!

It wasn’t until I spoke with Mr. Yogisbooboo later that evening that he informed me, through coughing fits of laughter, that my burgers weren’t made of ground beef but of soy.  Ever since, he’s been singing The Impossible Dream and he’s never going to let me live this down!

Boo Boo antics brought to you by:

image.png.35f4e6201a269dcac72b86781541ab0d.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/16/2022 at 1:56 PM, chessiegal said:

There's a restaurant near me that started selling Impossible Burgers. I tried one, and if I didn't know it was plant-based, I would have never known. It was very good. 🤷‍♂️

Just be aware of the salt content if you have any issues with high blood pressure. That is besides all the unidentifiable chemicals also in them (which is one of many reasons I won't even try one of these....at the food pantry at which I work we can't get any of our clients to take them when they are donated to us....).

• Love 1

Chesapeake Bay Foundation has a farm. They offer CSA products from the farm. This year I signed up for 13 weeks of products. Last week was the first week, and 2 of the offerings were something I'd never heard of - garlic scallions and Hakurei turnips. Yesterday I made a potato frittata with asparagus and the garlic scallions that I cut up and sauteed with the asparagus. The garlic scallions were mild with a slight taste of garlic. Tonight, the Blue Apron dinner had roasted veggies of carrots, broccoli. and red onion, so I added the Hakurei turnips with the mix. They were good, nice crunch with a bit of sweetness.

I think what you're calling garlic scallions might be the same as what we call garlic scapes. Are they curly and tapered? They're the tender stems of hard-neck garlic--I don't know if that grows in other parts of the country. I've been making the most delicious pesto from them for years. Lucky you if you can use yours for that. They won't be in the market here for another month, but I always look forward to them.

9 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think what you're calling garlic scallions might be the same as what we call garlic scapes. Are they curly and tapered? They're the tender stems of hard-neck garlic--I don't know if that grows in other parts of the country. I've been making the most delicious pesto from them for years. Lucky you if you can use yours for that. They won't be in the market here for another month, but I always look forward to them.

No, not curly and tapered. It's not what I called them, it's what Clagett Farms (owned by Chesapeake Bay Foundation) called them. They looked like bulky scallions and were more fibrous than scallions.

14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Chesapeake Bay Foundation has a farm. They offer CSA products from the farm. This year I signed up for 13 weeks of products. Last week was the first week, and 2 of the offerings were something I'd never heard of - garlic scallions and Hakurei turnips. Yesterday I made a potato frittata with asparagus and the garlic scallions that I cut up and sauteed with the asparagus. The garlic scallions were mild with a slight taste of garlic. Tonight, the Blue Apron dinner had roasted veggies of carrots, broccoli. and red onion, so I added the Hakurei turnips with the mix. They were good, nice crunch with a bit of sweetness.

Ugh, I'm jealous!  Our CSA doesn't start until JULY 5 this year.  No idea what's going on with the farm this year; I live in Pennsylvania, so it's not like I'm so far north that my growing season is radically different from Maryland!

I did a CSA a few years ago and the farm went bankrupt before I got all my boxes. in fact, I only got one. CBF offered 13 weeks or 26 weeks. I opted for the 13. They say it will be mostly greens to start. I also got a half pint of strawberries and 2 different tomato plants and a basil plant. I thought maybe I would have to go every other week, but the woman at the pick-up said I can come whenever they have something I want. She suggested I might want to keep aside some pick-ups for when tomatoes are in full swing. I'll be interested to see if they have other new veggies I haven't tried.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Hostess gets in the crypto game with a not-very-well-thought-out name:

image.thumb.png.582dd7c52ec34a9f5d58cab58d01cc05.png

I wish we had an ellipsis emoji, for those times you stare at a post and your brain just kinda... goes blank.

• LOL 1

Has anyone here had "dragonfruit"? We were giving it out at the food pantry at which I volunteer yesterday and frankly I had not a clue as to how one eats it (clearly the outside is super tough so I assume you peel it or something to start with). Do you eat it raw or does it need to be cooked? We get random donations a lot, and there was certainly one of them!

4 hours ago, isalicat said:

Has anyone here had "dragonfruit"? We were giving it out at the food pantry at which I volunteer yesterday and frankly I had not a clue as to how one eats it (clearly the outside is super tough so I assume you peel it or something to start with). Do you eat it raw or does it need to be cooked? We get random donations a lot, and there was certainly one of them!

I've had the common variety with white pulp and black seeds (there are at least a couple of others, but I don't know what any of them are called).  Yes, you eat it raw.  You can peel it, but it's easier to just cut it in half lengthwise and use each half like a self-contained bowl, eating the pulp with a spoon.  If you're going to cut it up and put it on a salad, I still think it's easier to scoop it out with a spoon and do so (like you can do with an avocado) rather than trying to peel something that thick.

It's good, but mild; not as sweet as many tropical fruits and with the very slightest bit of tartness to it.  I think it became popular because it's interesting looking, both whole and then once cut into.  It can make a cool cocktail garnish/ingredient because of its appearance.

• Useful 3
On 5/22/2022 at 10:01 PM, chessiegal said:

No, not curly and tapered. It's not what I called them, it's what Clagett Farms (owned by Chesapeake Bay Foundation) called them. They looked like bulky scallions and were more fibrous than scallions.

Are they these?

A while back at a luncheon, we were served croissants filled with chicken salad.  That was really good salad and I mentioned it to the person who had brought the food.  She laughed and said that she had bought it in the deli at WalMart (or maybe Sam's--basically the same thing). It is white meat chicken with dried cranberries, pecans, and celery.  It's expensive, but I splurged on a nice-sized container of the stuff.  And, because there's just me and the cats at home and I'm not picking out chicken bits for them to eat, it's mine, all mine!  Mwahhhh! :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, BooksRule said:

A while back at a luncheon, we were served croissants filled with chicken salad.  That was really good salad and I mentioned it to the person who had brought the food.  She laughed and said that she had bought it in the deli at WalMart (or maybe Sam's--basically the same thing). It is white meat chicken with dried cranberries, pecans, and celery.  It's expensive, but I splurged on a nice-sized container of the stuff.  And, because there's just me and the cats at home and I'm not picking out chicken bits for them to eat, it's mine, all mine!  Mwahhhh! :) 

WalMart may make a version of this, but Trader Joe's makes this as well and it is excellent! So is their tuna salad. I highly recommend trying it!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I ordered a small bag of dried sardines from Amazon. Thought they would make a good keto snack. No, nope, no they were yukky! Thank goodness for the cats they think they are yummy! :)

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

So this is real, and will be sold exclusively in Walgreens.  I am fairly certain I'll be going out of my way to get a bag, just because.

image.thumb.png.fedd5520a5c5c6e7af46e5166dbe01b9.png

As if regular candy corn weren't bad enough.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

They’re going to have ketchup and mustard ice cream at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition…aka The Ex) this year.  It’s back after a two year break due to the pandemic.  Not sure if I’d try it.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

They’re going to have ketchup and mustard ice cream at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition…aka The Ex) this year.  It’s back after a two year break due to the pandemic.  Not sure if I’d try it.

Hard pass, although I did try lobster ice cream when I was in Maine.  Would not recommend that, either.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

Oh, gross! My only foray into ice cream weirdness was at the annual artichoke festival I used to attend decades ago and I had artichoke ice cream - not terrible, but not good. At my local pumpkin festival in Half Moon Bay, California (lived there for 8 years in the 1980s) there was pumpkin ice cream and that was pretty good, as you might imagine.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't like ketchup or mustard, so no thanks to it infecting perfectly good ice cream.

7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

although I did try lobster ice cream when I was in Maine.

Me too, at a place in Bar Harbor (it was their signature ice cream).  Same place?

I've also had garlic ice cream.  I liked it, for about four spoonfuls, and then I was done.  My friend I was sharing it with felt the same.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't like ketchup or mustard, so no thanks to it infecting perfectly good ice cream.

Me too, at a place in Bar Harbor (it was their signature ice cream).  Same place?

I've also had garlic ice cream.  I liked it, for about four spoonfuls, and then I was done.  My friend I was sharing it with felt the same.

I once had truffle gelato thinking it was truffle as in chocolate.  Nope, it was the OTHER truffle.  I like truffle, but only in something like risotto or cheese.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

It was in Bar Harbor, so yes, probably the same place.  I only had a tasting spoonful of the lobster, and ended up with a scoop of mint chocolate chip, which was delicious.

There is garlic ice cream available at the local annual garlic festival. One year, when my kids were probably 8 -10 years old, after wolfing down garlic smashed potatoes and other various garlic infused foods, we decided to get ice cream.

They, wisely, chose to go with non-garlic ice cream so I've never tried it. Even when it was right there in front of me, it was "pass", and I'm usually up for trying 90-95% of reasonably normal sounding things.

Does anybody know if garlic ice cream uses roasted garlic, or if it's just flat out raw garlic?

5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Does anybody know if garlic ice cream uses roasted garlic, or if it's just flat out raw garlic?

The one I had (at The Stinking Rose, a garlic-obsessed restaurant in San Francisco and Los Angeles) uses roasted.  But it seems many of the recipes are very simple, just the usual ingredients for vanilla ice cream with some amount (varying by recipe) of minced garlic added to the milk and vanilla. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The one I had (at The Stinking Rose, a garlic-obsessed restaurant in San Francisco and Los Angeles) uses roasted. 

That make sense to me. Just tossing in some minced garlic seems like a way to say "It's garlic ice cream!"  The fact that a place that named itself after garlic went with roasted makes me think they were actually trying to make something that people would think is good.

But still... even roasted, I'm imagining that it wouldn't be for me.

22 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The fact that a place that named itself after garlic went with roasted makes me think they were actually trying to make something that people would think is good.

Most people either lap up the bowl or take one spoonful and reject it; apparently my friend and I were oddballs when we thought it was tasty in a small amount, but sharing the whole bowl was a big fat no.  We love garlic - it's why we went to a restaurant that proclaims "we season our garlic with food" - and have enjoyed all the appetizers, entrees, and sides we've had there over the years.  But garlic ice cream was a one and done.

• Love 2

I roasted a couple pounds of garlic in my air fryer. Soooo good! I popped the cloves out of the skins and froze most. I can thaw a couple cloves to use in dishes and it is so yummy!!

Don't think I will be making any ice cream though!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

Ok everyone.  Just look,   I found it today.   Num-Num. Nummers.

So bad but so good.

image.png.b71f14a4547b105a661d19551f33ba19.png

There is no actual food there...its like a hobgoblin of chemicals arranged in a strangely attractive concept. For me, any package that has very large letters spelling out: "Artificially Flavored" on it is not coming into my house 😸 But that is because I am an old...if I was a 20 something I would so try these. Now I am thinking about how you could make these au natural with corn tortilla strips rolled up and fried and then you would put some butter and caramel sauce on (and of course you need some vanilla ice cream - this would be a rad dessert!).