Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Where are the wonton wrappers stocked?

They're refrigerated (there are also frozen versions), so it just depends on the market as to which particular case they're in.  At my local market, they're near produce.  At the Asian market closest to me, they're near eggs.  🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Where are the wonton wrappers stocked?

I don't know about stores in your area, but ones in my area tend to store them in the same fridge as fresh pastas.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

What was the paste she squeezed out of the tube when making the sauce? Garlic? 

Looks like the garlic in a tube I buy. ATK did a taste test on garlic short cuts and says you need freshly chopped garlic to get the full flavor. My palette must be dull, the garlic in a tube tastes fine to me.

• Like 1

I tried creme brulee, sold in a little pot at Fresh Thyme, since they no longer seem to sell the individual slices of cheesecake. :/ It was okay. I might try making some myself, to use up cream that will go off otherwise.

I want to try mochi. I've seen it in a little fridge at FT.

Tiramisu. I bought it from the same store, in the same area. I don't like coffee, so my first spoonful almost had me not eating any more of it. But I tried a bit more, and ended up liking it. 

I went to a day long conference/retreat last Friday that included breakfast and lunch. The lovely people hosting us had gone to a local ostrich/emu ranch and they bought two ostrich eggs, one of which they used to serve us scrambled eggs (very creamy and delicious) - apparently one ostrich egg is equal to 24 chicken eggs. (No, I did not ask how much they cost :).

Yup, tastes just like chicken (egg). No difference at all I could tell and the scrambled eggs had no spicing other than some salt and pepper at most.

• Useful 5

Aldi

Protein keto bread: delicious and hearty! 2 slices are plenty. I really love bread and 2 slices hit the spot.

Frozen sushi-$5. Don’t laugh it’s pretty good lol. I now buy 2-3 boxes on each trip. Nice quick meal. I usually eat a fresh avocado on the side.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
11 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Aldi

Protein keto bread: delicious and hearty! 2 slices are plenty. I really love bread and 2 slices hit the spot.

Frozen sushi-$5. Don’t laugh it’s pretty good lol. I now buy 2-3 boxes on each trip. Nice quick meal. I usually eat a fresh avocado on the side.

How does frozen sushi work?  Thaw it in the fridge?  

3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

How does frozen sushi work?  Thaw it in the fridge?  

I don't know. I see in the freezer case at my local grocery store, but have always thought YUK! when I saw it. Will wait eagerly for the response you get and maybe give it a try...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I don't know. I see in the freezer case at my local grocery store, but have always thought YUK! when I saw it. Will wait eagerly for the response you get and maybe give it a try...

If it’s $5 it’s worth trying in my opinion. I didn’t think I’d like it either. But I do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how new they are, but I tried some of the El Paso brand Fiesta Twists Cinnamon Churro flavor.  I love Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar pita chips, but I can only find them in one store that's not close to me, so I thought I would give these a try.  I was not impressed.  They had a little 'bite' (maybe a touch of pepper) along with the cinnamon that I probably would have gotten used to and maybe even started to like, but to me the crunch was too 'hard' (instead of a just melty crunch).  It was the same type of crunch I find in kettle-style potato chips (which I don't care for either). 

I bought a can of Bush's No Sugar Added Baked Beans, because DH and I are trying to cut down on sugar where we can.  I got suspicious when I licked the spoon after scooping the beans out into the saucepan to heat up--the sauce was suspiciously sweet for something that wasn't supposed to have any sugar added.  I checked the label and found out it was sweetened with Sucralose.  Now I don't mind me some artificial sweetener in things like diet soda and iced tea (I'm particularly fond of 4C caffeine free diet tea mix), but IMHO it tastes funny in other products.  I did not care for it in the bean sauce.  Lesson learned:  Read the label!

• Useful 4

Last week I was in World Market. On the way out, I noticed boxes of Nonni's Almond Cookies with Pistachios. I love almond anything so I bought a box. When I got home, I grabbed a cookie, took a decent bite & blech! I can't even describe the awful taste. I had to quickly eat some grapes to get that nasty taste out of my mouth 🤢. I love Nonni's Almond Biscotti. Wonder what's wrong with these cookies?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1

I attempted cottage cheese ice cream this weekend.  Well, I used quark "cottage cheese" (as some stores label it).  My food processor failed to function, so I had to move it to my immersion blender.  Turned out okay, but like all homemade frozen desserts/ice creams I've made, it tends to freeze rock solid.  Need tips on how to make it...creamier.

So, I volunteer at a local food pantry twice a week and we get food donated from grocery stores as well as from individuals and various local organizations. Every single shift I have worked there (5 years now) I find a food item I have *never* heard of previously - its really remarkable! So this last Monday we had a carton of stuff from Trader Joe's and it was full of little tubs of cream cheese that is "hot cocoa flavored". What??? What do you put this on or in? All our clients were pretty happy to take it when asked so there was none left at the end of the day to try therefore I have no idea how it actually tastes. Anyone out there sample this?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Anyone out there sample this?

Not me, since I hate cream cheese.  But here's the TJ's write-up on it, which suggests:

Bagels are always a top cream-cheese complement, and this instance is no exception. We might add that the Hot Cocoa flavor is especially nice smeared on freshly baked Mini Croissants. Try spreading some on a Cinnamon Graham Cracker that you top with a Dark Chocolate Covered Marshmallow. For a different spin, put some on slices of your favorite apple, bringing the taste of tart-sweet fruit to the Hot-Cocoa-Cream-Cheese table!

I skimmed a few reviews, and most were positive.  This one had some additional suggestions:

Some great ideas popped up in comments from followers, such as the one from Instagram user @christinahollyjuarez who suggested rolling the ingredient into balls and topping with cookie crumbs and chocolate to make truffle-like chocolate cheesecake bites. Other users adore the cocoa cream cheese on brownie brittle, while another recommended using the ingredient to top an English muffin along with fresh strawberries for a sweet breakfast or easy dessert. One follower pointed out that the Trader Joe's local to them had been sampling the new cream cheese with its cinnamon graham crackers — with just two ingredients you can't ask for a much easier snack. If you really want to flex your kitchen expertise, you could also try putting a chocolatey twist on the classic New York-Style Cheesecake.

• Useful 3

Supreme Brie Bites

I occasionally have to travel 3.5 hours one way via automobile.  On my last trip all the Starbucks near the interstate were out of the fruit and cheese snack packs.  So, I’m considering just making my own.  I purchased these for consideration.  I thought they were a bit pricey, but might be worth it for convenience.  OMG!  They are so, so good!  Dangerously delicious.  Usually, I can’t stand the taste of rind, but theirs actually is edible flavor-wise.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Oh my! I am going to have to look for those. I normally buy the President Wee Brie. It comes in a wheel like Laughing Cow cheese wrapped in foil wedges. It is kind of messy to eat though so these with the rind look perfect for travel purposes. Albertsons sort of near me carries them. Will look next time I am up in town. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

I like quite a few varieties of Aidells chicken sausage, and thanks to a deal at Costco, tried a new-to-me flavor: bacon, mushroom, and Swiss cheese.  Yum!  I don't like that, unlike many other Aidells flavors, it has sodium nitrite, not to mention a small amount of brown sugar (why?!), but since I'm not eating it every day, I'll get over it.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

the Cheetos are not really spicy and I loved them.

I got those for my dad recently, and we both thought they should be spicier, but they were tasty.

We both like Kettle jalapeño potato chips.  Lay's kettle cooked jalapeño are okay.

(I don't keep chips in the house because I will eat WAY too many of them at once, so I only snack on them at my parents' house or if I'm somewhere that has them offered.)

• Like 4
On 7/31/2023 at 5:17 PM, oliviabenson said:

I tried: jalapeño Cheetos and baklava. 

Baklava is too sweet but the Cheetos are not really spicy and I loved them.

Baklava CHIPS or baklava?

On 8/24/2023 at 8:49 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Trader Joe's Cajun Style Al Fredo Sauce. I put a spoon in it to see what it's like...🥴. Not sure what I can do with it to make it taste better.

Is it spicy? 

What does it taste like?

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Baklava is not chips

Its a dessert 

I know that.  I love Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines and have had it before (many times, in fact.  I think my husband introduced me to it, around the same time I had hummus and falafels for the first time).  I was just wondering if they made a chip flavour or something.  :D 

• Like 2
On 8/26/2023 at 8:30 PM, PRgal said:

I know that.  I love Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines and have had it before (many times, in fact.  I think my husband introduced me to it, around the same time I had hummus and falafels for the first time).  I was just wondering if they made a chip flavour or something.  :D 

I understood your question, lol.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2023 at 7:12 PM, Mittengirl said:

I tried the Kraft frozen Mac & Cheese and I thought it was horribly salty.  I bought the 4 cheese flavor and never would have bought it if i had read the sodium level before I got it home.

There used to be frozen Kraft Mac & Cheese "dinners" in the 90's that were so good. I'd overheat mine so it would get burnt on top a little. They came in the cardboard containers back then. This pic from Pinterest kind of proves they actually existed. Hard to find visual proof online.

image.png.1e8ca577574e9c29836622af1bdb71b0.png

• Like 1
On 9/24/2023 at 4:54 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Trader Joe's sells two kinds of frozen mac and cheese. One is regular, the other is called "Guilt Free" (that's the one I buy to keep on hand for a day when I'm too lazy to cook). I just add paprika and ground pepper. It's not bad.

Okay, gotta ask. What makes it "Guilt Free"?

12 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Okay, gotta ask. What makes it "Guilt Free"?

I just did a search, and can only find one called "Reduced Guilt" -- it has less fat and fewer calories than the regular version, but apparently that's because it has less cheese, but also simply because it's a smaller serving?  I didn't verify, but the first two results were from unhappy shoppers making that complaint.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yes...Reduced Guilt (sorry!). The package is the same size as the regular mac & cheese. IMO, it's a lot better than other brands of reduced calorie mac & cheese. I add seasonings before I do that stir & nuke another minute. 

I had a feeling that would be it...generally less fat/calories means more carbs and chemicals. I avoid all foods like this as (a) fat is your friend and (b) if its hard to pronounce, its not natural, Gary! (that last is a British-ism that may be unfamiliar to the 'murricans hereabouts 😸). Then again, I can't remember the last time I had mac n' cheese. It always seemed like filler food to me (fills you up but with little long lasting nutritional value).

4 minutes ago, isalicat said:

It always seemed like filler food to me (fills you up but with little long lasting nutritional value).

That's why it's delicious. 😄  It's something I crave a handful of times in a year, so it's not an issue.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's why it's delicious. 😄  It's something I crave a handful of times in a year, so it's not an issue.

Which I totally get! My "crack" would be a freshly baked baguette of sourdough with a stick of butter (and yes, I would probably eat the whole damn thing). Unfortunately since I am 4'11" and 67 years old, I have to choose between being entirely rotund and unhealthy vs. slim and still moving around with alacrity, so carbs have been (mostly) jettisoned. To get back to topic: I keep trying these low carb pizzas made with cauliflower crusts and they are all nasty. Anyone have a recommendation of one that actually tastes good?

I don't need gf products but I mentioned to some friends that I dislike graham crackers. One of them suggested that I try the gluten free graham crackers at Wegmans. I did & want to report that Schar's gluten free Honey Grahams are delicious. I also tried a different brand, but they tasted like prunes! So, from now on I'll only get Schar's. It's a German brand (says Deutschland on the pckg!) but I think they're made in NJ.

• Like 1

Swamp soup, from wishbone kitchen. She raved about it, said she doesn't like leftovers, but she ate it all week. Made more, same deal. Re-posted pictures and videos from others who tried it, and apparently loved it.

I hated it.

We went to a neighbor's open house tonight. My husband made me a plate of goodies. I ate what I thought was roast beef. My husband asked me how I liked it, I said it was good. Turns out another neighbor, who is a hunter, brought it. It was venison. Tasted like beef to me.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 2