Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

43 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Well yes, but I was hoping for a first hand recommendation of lids that work, rather than leaving it up to chance on the internets.

I believe when I looked into it, turns out Yoplait sells them.

15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I believe when I looked into it, turns out Yoplait sells them.

Yep you can literally buy them from the Oui website. If you don’t want to pay the premium they are basically small weck jars so anything made for those will work and be a lot cheaper.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

I kept saving the jars thinking I'd do something with them I finally recycled them after I had several dozens. I was surprised at the cost of the lids from Oui/Yoplait. Seemed pricey.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

kept saving the jars thinking I'd do something with them I finally recycled them after I had several dozens.

If your ever in that position again they have a whole crafts section on their website!  I find them much too small to be useful for my needs.

Edited by biakbiak

3 hours ago, justspiffy said:

And their jars are so cute!  I even ordered the lids for them!

Wait they have lids??!! I need to get those as I use the jars when I'm cooking or need small jars for lunches at work.

55 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Wait they have lids??!! I need to get those as I use the jars when I'm cooking or need small jars for lunches at work.

I ordered from Oui lids online - they were $3.99 for 4 lids, and the shipping price was small, via USPS.  They came quickly, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

If your ever in that position again they have a whole crafts section on their website!  I find them much too small to be useful for my needs.

I am not a craft person. I kept thinking I could donate them somewhere. I really like the yogurt, but only buy it now if it's on sale. And the jars go into the recycle bin when I'm done.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:54 PM, chessiegal said:

Anyone tried Daily Harvest? I went to their website and the only thing that appealed was a smoothie, and I have all the stuff to make one of those.

There’s a thread about the home delivery meal companies here. I know Daily Harvest maybe isn’t exactly a meal “kit“, but it’s at least another thread to discuss it in.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Sounds delicious!

I know! I looked for them on Amazon today; either they aren’t quite out yet or they won’t be sold through Amazon (yes I’ve bought food, mostly snack type stuff, through Amazon before & never had issues with any of it). They might end up being a Walmart exclusive or something. The article I linked didn’t say.

I've had a couple of people tell me that they love roasted radishes, so I thought I would give them a try.  I cut them in half and tossed with a little veg oil (I don't like olive oil) and some garlic salt.  Not bad (the usual 'peppery' taste definitely gets mild), but I'll take roasted Brussels Sprouts over them any day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I haven't tried it, and I don't plan on trying it, but I just heard about pumpkin spice mac & cheese, and it just sounds disgusting.

Yikes, I'll have to agree with you on that one! But I am enjoying the Pumpkin Spice Milano Cookies!

I tried the new Cinnamon Cheerios today.  They're okay -- nothing to write home about.  Seems like most of the cinnamon comes off in milk, and the Cheerios don't taste very cinnamon-y after the first couple of spoonfuls.  They might be better eaten dry, as a snack.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I tried the new Cinnamon Cheerios today.  They're okay -- nothing to write home about.  Seems like most of the cinnamon comes off in milk, and the Cheerios don't taste very cinnamon-y after the first couple of spoonfuls.  They might be better eaten dry, as a snack.

I love dry Cheerios as a snack or breakfast, so I might give these a try! Usually I stick with Honey Nut, but I need to change things up every once in a while.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Sweedish Fish said:

Oui yogurt.  Delicious.  I usually find yogurt to be to tart for my taste.  This one is smooth and very creamy.  Mango or Honey are my favorites.

image.png.40136ccba86a0620c68270bf5109265e.png

image.png

image.png

they make non dairy as well and i kept my little jars with the lids

• Useful 2

If you don't like tart yogurt, try Siggi's Icelandic (I only eat the full fat content one so I don't know what the low fat and non fat varieties taste like). They come in vanilla or mixed berry and I first tried it at the beginning of the pandemic when most everything else had been cleaned off my grocery store shelves. Delicious! and the only brand I will buy now.

• Like 2

Red Boat Salt from Amazon. It is an anchovy flavored salt, smells really funky but when put in food (or Bloody Marys) 😄 just tastes umami, no funkyness. It is amazing! I've used it in spaghetti sauce, on chicken, in scrambled eggs...awesome stuff!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I've tried a couple of new things that tempted me in the Costco deal book lately, and liked both of them.

Amylu chicken breakfast sausage.  Very flavorful, and not dry (like chicken sausage can be).   And a wonderfully simple ingredient list: organic chicken, sea salt, organic spices, vinegar, organic parsley, water, organic extract of rosemary.  Pretty healthy other than the sodium content (but still on the low end for sausage).

Beyond what's at Costco, the brand has a bunch of others that sound good, so the next time I can motivate myself to go to Whole Foods (the only listed retailer I have near me) I'll have to see which ones they carry.  I mostly get raw sausage that's made in-house at a local butcher shop or Sprouts, but it's nice to have a good pre-cooked option sometimes, and I liked Amylu even better than Papa Cantella's.  Thumb's up!

Sonoma Gourmet kale pesto with white cheddar pasta sauce.  It's jarred pasta sauce, and a jarred creamy pasta sauce at that, so it's only going to be so good.  But, while most aren't even edible to me, this was.  It has a tang to it that's a bit odd in that I can't figure out what ingredient it's coming from, but I liked it well enough.  Not as good as Rao's - the only other jarred pasta sauce I've liked - but I'm glad I tried it.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, Bastet said:

I've tried a couple of new things that tempted me in the Costco deal book lately, and liked both of them.

Amylu chicken breakfast sausage.  Very flavorful, and not dry (like chicken sausage can be).   And a wonderfully simple ingredient list: organic chicken, sea salt, organic spices, vinegar, organic parsley, water, organic extract of rosemary.  Pretty healthy other than the sodium content (but still on the low end for sausage).

Beyond what's at Costco, the brand has a bunch of others that sound good, so the next time I can motivate myself to go to Whole Foods (the only listed retailer I have near me) I'll have to see which ones they carry.  I mostly get raw sausage that's made in-house at a local butcher shop or Sprouts, but it's nice to have a good pre-cooked option sometimes, and I liked Amylu even better than Papa Cantella's.  Thumb's up!

Sonoma Gourmet kale pesto with white cheddar pasta sauce.  It's jarred pasta sauce, and a jarred creamy pasta sauce at that, so it's only going to be so good.  But, while most aren't even edible to me, this was.  It has a tang to it that's a bit odd in that I can't figure out what ingredient it's coming from, but I liked it well enough.  Not as good as Rao's - the only other jarred pasta sauce I've liked - but I'm glad I tried it.

The tang you tasted is indicative of the preservation method used to can.  In this case, it's usually hot fill that's used for glass jars.  Hot fill uses heat and acid to make the product shelf stable.  In products like tomato sauce, hey, acid is no problem.  But in creamy, cheesy products, the tang is not as tasty unless it's a spicy queso with vinegary/spicy notes that kind of cover it up.

I haven't tried this yet, but saw the sign when I was running early morning errands.   I may have to venture back out at lunchtime.  

Wendy's Strawberry Frosty

I wonder if I catch the employee in the right mood, can I get them to mix it with the OG?  

3 hours ago, Quof said:

I haven't tried this yet, but saw the sign when I was running early morning errands.   I may have to venture back out at lunchtime.  

Wendy's Strawberry Frosty

I wonder if I catch the employee in the right mood, can I get them to mix it with the OG?  

Canada only.  Oh well. 

• Sad 1

Ha!! Consider that my revenge on all of the Americans posting "Look what I got at Trader Joe's!" 

• Laugh 6

You also I know got what I'm eating now a year earlier (if you bought it), those Doritos copies of Takis, called Dinamita.  I know from reviews Canada got them a year ago, but I only just saw them yesterday in an American supermarket. 

As I wait for curbside pickup at the grocery store, I watch as the carts come out of the store to see if it's my order.  Virtually every order has Doritos, or Tostitos, at the top of the bags. Except mine.  Mine has Angie's Boom-Chickapop.

6 minutes ago, Quof said:

As I wait for curbside pickup at the grocery store, I watch as the carts come out of the store to see if it's my order.  Virtually every order has Doritos, or Tostitos, at the top of the bags. Except mine.  Mine has Angie's Boom-Chickapop.

I'm cool with the idea of them, but inherently lean away from buying prepared snacks I'm convinced, on at least an unconscious level, I could make on my own.  So popcorn is a tough sell for me. Not that I'm not far too lazy to pop my own corn, then on top of that, garnish it half as well. 

Edited by Kromm

1 hour ago, Quof said:

Ha!! Consider that my revenge on all of the Americans posting "Look what I got at Trader Joe's!" 

Maybe we can look it up on copycat recipes. Right now I'm experimenting at creating a creamy pink beverage similar to Starbucks Pink Drink (but I want mine to be better than theirs!!)

On 5/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe we can look it up on copycat recipes. Right now I'm experimenting at creating a creamy pink beverage similar to Starbucks Pink Drink (but I want mine to be better than theirs!!)

I would be very interested in the recipe! I love Pink Drink more than I should. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, annzeepark914 said:

If you've given up on your own version, but still don't want to continue to hand over a fortune to Starbucks, Dunkin just came out with similar coconut milk based drinks at what seems to be significantly cheaper prices. I've only had the Peach one, not their closest Pink analogue, but it was darn good, and like $3.50 for their largest size, vs. Starbucks smallest. 

Edited by Kromm · Reason: Stupid autocorrect... corrected.
  • Useful 2

11 minutes ago, Kromm said:

If you've given up on your own version, but still don't want to continue to hand over a fortune to Starbucks, Duncan just came out with similar coconut milk based drinks at what seems to be significantly cheaper prices. I've only had the Peach one, not their closest Pink analogue, but it was darn good, and like $3.50 for their largest size, vs. Starbucks smallest. 

Yup... I've just about given up trying to create a creamy Pink Drink wannabee. I'll have to try the pink drink at "Duncan" (would this be Dunkin' Donuts?)

51 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup... I've just about given up trying to create a creamy Pink Drink wannabee. I'll have to try the pink drink at "Duncan" (would this be Dunkin' Donuts?)

Yeah, autocorrect and I didn't bother reading it.  Lol

• Laugh 1

11 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Kromm, thanks for the tip! There is a Dunkin right across the street from my Starbucks so I will give it a try!

Let me know what it's like, please. I just want a delicious, creamy, pink, cold drink :>)

Klondike Shakes in a Pouch.  Don’t waste your money.  Unless I did something wrong, it takes way more than 3 minutes for them to soften enough to get them out of the pouch and the ice cream is nothing special.  I got them on sale and still think they are vastly overpriced.  4.7 ounces/pouch, six pouches in a box for $5.99. (I had a coupon for $1.75 off)   Unless you have a bucket list goal to suck ice cream out of a pouch, buy a box of store brand ice cream bars/fudge bars instead.

• Useful 1