Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

On 7/14/2019 at 3:54 PM, chessiegal said:

Anyone tried Daily Harvest? I went to their website and the only thing that appealed was a smoothie, and I have all the stuff to make one of those.

There’s a thread about the home delivery meal companies here. I know Daily Harvest maybe isn’t exactly a meal “kit“, but it’s at least another thread to discuss it in.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Sounds delicious!

I know! I looked for them on Amazon today; either they aren’t quite out yet or they won’t be sold through Amazon (yes I’ve bought food, mostly snack type stuff, through Amazon before & never had issues with any of it). They might end up being a Walmart exclusive or something. The article I linked didn’t say.

I've had a couple of people tell me that they love roasted radishes, so I thought I would give them a try.  I cut them in half and tossed with a little veg oil (I don't like olive oil) and some garlic salt.  Not bad (the usual 'peppery' taste definitely gets mild), but I'll take roasted Brussels Sprouts over them any day. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I haven't tried it, and I don't plan on trying it, but I just heard about pumpkin spice mac & cheese, and it just sounds disgusting.

Yikes, I'll have to agree with you on that one! But I am enjoying the Pumpkin Spice Milano Cookies!

I tried the new Cinnamon Cheerios today.  They're okay -- nothing to write home about.  Seems like most of the cinnamon comes off in milk, and the Cheerios don't taste very cinnamon-y after the first couple of spoonfuls.  They might be better eaten dry, as a snack.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I tried the new Cinnamon Cheerios today.  They're okay -- nothing to write home about.  Seems like most of the cinnamon comes off in milk, and the Cheerios don't taste very cinnamon-y after the first couple of spoonfuls.  They might be better eaten dry, as a snack.

I love dry Cheerios as a snack or breakfast, so I might give these a try! Usually I stick with Honey Nut, but I need to change things up every once in a while.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Sweedish Fish said:

Oui yogurt.  Delicious.  I usually find yogurt to be to tart for my taste.  This one is smooth and very creamy.  Mango or Honey are my favorites.

image.png.40136ccba86a0620c68270bf5109265e.png

image.png

image.png

they make non dairy as well and i kept my little jars with the lids

• Useful 2

If you don't like tart yogurt, try Siggi's Icelandic (I only eat the full fat content one so I don't know what the low fat and non fat varieties taste like). They come in vanilla or mixed berry and I first tried it at the beginning of the pandemic when most everything else had been cleaned off my grocery store shelves. Delicious! and the only brand I will buy now.

• Love 2

Red Boat Salt from Amazon. It is an anchovy flavored salt, smells really funky but when put in food (or Bloody Marys) 😄 just tastes umami, no funkyness. It is amazing! I've used it in spaghetti sauce, on chicken, in scrambled eggs...awesome stuff!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I've tried a couple of new things that tempted me in the Costco deal book lately, and liked both of them.

Amylu chicken breakfast sausage.  Very flavorful, and not dry (like chicken sausage can be).   And a wonderfully simple ingredient list: organic chicken, sea salt, organic spices, vinegar, organic parsley, water, organic extract of rosemary.  Pretty healthy other than the sodium content (but still on the low end for sausage).

Beyond what's at Costco, the brand has a bunch of others that sound good, so the next time I can motivate myself to go to Whole Foods (the only listed retailer I have near me) I'll have to see which ones they carry.  I mostly get raw sausage that's made in-house at a local butcher shop or Sprouts, but it's nice to have a good pre-cooked option sometimes, and I liked Amylu even better than Papa Cantella's.  Thumb's up!

Sonoma Gourmet kale pesto with white cheddar pasta sauce.  It's jarred pasta sauce, and a jarred creamy pasta sauce at that, so it's only going to be so good.  But, while most aren't even edible to me, this was.  It has a tang to it that's a bit odd in that I can't figure out what ingredient it's coming from, but I liked it well enough.  Not as good as Rao's - the only other jarred pasta sauce I've liked - but I'm glad I tried it.

• Love 1
On 3/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, Bastet said:

I've tried a couple of new things that tempted me in the Costco deal book lately, and liked both of them.

Amylu chicken breakfast sausage.  Very flavorful, and not dry (like chicken sausage can be).   And a wonderfully simple ingredient list: organic chicken, sea salt, organic spices, vinegar, organic parsley, water, organic extract of rosemary.  Pretty healthy other than the sodium content (but still on the low end for sausage).

Beyond what's at Costco, the brand has a bunch of others that sound good, so the next time I can motivate myself to go to Whole Foods (the only listed retailer I have near me) I'll have to see which ones they carry.  I mostly get raw sausage that's made in-house at a local butcher shop or Sprouts, but it's nice to have a good pre-cooked option sometimes, and I liked Amylu even better than Papa Cantella's.  Thumb's up!

Sonoma Gourmet kale pesto with white cheddar pasta sauce.  It's jarred pasta sauce, and a jarred creamy pasta sauce at that, so it's only going to be so good.  But, while most aren't even edible to me, this was.  It has a tang to it that's a bit odd in that I can't figure out what ingredient it's coming from, but I liked it well enough.  Not as good as Rao's - the only other jarred pasta sauce I've liked - but I'm glad I tried it.

The tang you tasted is indicative of the preservation method used to can.  In this case, it's usually hot fill that's used for glass jars.  Hot fill uses heat and acid to make the product shelf stable.  In products like tomato sauce, hey, acid is no problem.  But in creamy, cheesy products, the tang is not as tasty unless it's a spicy queso with vinegary/spicy notes that kind of cover it up.

I haven't tried this yet, but saw the sign when I was running early morning errands.   I may have to venture back out at lunchtime.  

Wendy's Strawberry Frosty

I wonder if I catch the employee in the right mood, can I get them to mix it with the OG?  

3 hours ago, Quof said:

I haven't tried this yet, but saw the sign when I was running early morning errands.   I may have to venture back out at lunchtime.  

Wendy's Strawberry Frosty

I wonder if I catch the employee in the right mood, can I get them to mix it with the OG?  

Canada only.  Oh well. 

You also I know got what I'm eating now a year earlier (if you bought it), those Doritos copies of Takis, called Dinamita.  I know from reviews Canada got them a year ago, but I only just saw them yesterday in an American supermarket. 

As I wait for curbside pickup at the grocery store, I watch as the carts come out of the store to see if it's my order.  Virtually every order has Doritos, or Tostitos, at the top of the bags. Except mine.  Mine has Angie's Boom-Chickapop.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Quof said:

As I wait for curbside pickup at the grocery store, I watch as the carts come out of the store to see if it's my order.  Virtually every order has Doritos, or Tostitos, at the top of the bags. Except mine.  Mine has Angie's Boom-Chickapop.

I'm cool with the idea of them, but inherently lean away from buying prepared snacks I'm convinced, on at least an unconscious level, I could make on my own.  So popcorn is a tough sell for me. Not that I'm not far too lazy to pop my own corn, then on top of that, garnish it half as well. 

Edited by Kromm
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Ha!! Consider that my revenge on all of the Americans posting "Look what I got at Trader Joe's!" 

Maybe we can look it up on copycat recipes. Right now I'm experimenting at creating a creamy pink beverage similar to Starbucks Pink Drink (but I want mine to be better than theirs!!)

On 5/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe we can look it up on copycat recipes. Right now I'm experimenting at creating a creamy pink beverage similar to Starbucks Pink Drink (but I want mine to be better than theirs!!)

I would be very interested in the recipe! I love Pink Drink more than I should. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, annzeepark914 said:

If you've given up on your own version, but still don't want to continue to hand over a fortune to Starbucks, Dunkin just came out with similar coconut milk based drinks at what seems to be significantly cheaper prices. I've only had the Peach one, not their closest Pink analogue, but it was darn good, and like $3.50 for their largest size, vs. Starbucks smallest. 

Edited by Kromm
Stupid autocorrect... corrected.
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, Kromm said:

If you've given up on your own version, but still don't want to continue to hand over a fortune to Starbucks, Duncan just came out with similar coconut milk based drinks at what seems to be significantly cheaper prices. I've only had the Peach one, not their closest Pink analogue, but it was darn good, and like $3.50 for their largest size, vs. Starbucks smallest. 

Yup... I've just about given up trying to create a creamy Pink Drink wannabee. I'll have to try the pink drink at "Duncan" (would this be Dunkin' Donuts?)

51 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup... I've just about given up trying to create a creamy Pink Drink wannabee. I'll have to try the pink drink at "Duncan" (would this be Dunkin' Donuts?)

Yeah, autocorrect and I didn't bother reading it.  Lol

• LOL 1

Klondike Shakes in a Pouch.  Don’t waste your money.  Unless I did something wrong, it takes way more than 3 minutes for them to soften enough to get them out of the pouch and the ice cream is nothing special.  I got them on sale and still think they are vastly overpriced.  4.7 ounces/pouch, six pouches in a box for $5.99. (I had a coupon for $1.75 off)   Unless you have a bucket list goal to suck ice cream out of a pouch, buy a box of store brand ice cream bars/fudge bars instead.

• Useful 1
On 6/29/2021 at 5:27 PM, AimingforYoko said:

New food for the Minnesota State Fair.

Personally, I plan on trying: The Banh Mi sausage roll, The Kerala Fried Chicken Kati Roll, Carmelized Banana Pudding and The Naughty Biscuit (Pork Belly, arugula, pickled red onions, candied jalapeños and a beer-cheese sauce.)

I will report back in August.

OMG YUM! 

(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 7:27 PM, AimingforYoko said:

New food for the Minnesota State Fair.

Personally, I plan on trying: The Banh Mi sausage roll, The Kerala Fried Chicken Kati Roll, Carmelized Banana Pudding and The Naughty Biscuit (Pork Belly, arugula, pickled red onions, candied jalapeños and a beer-cheese sauce.)

Listen if you need help properly evaluating the carmelized banana pudding and/or the pork belly dish, I'm 100% here for you cause that's the just kind of internet friend I am. We just got work out the minor issue of me living in Florida.....#friendsdontletfriendssamplebananapuddingandporkbellyalone.

Edited by callie lee 29
  • LOL 4
19 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Listen if you need help properly evaluating the carmelized banana pudding and/or the pork belly dish, I'm 100% here for you cause that's the just kind of internet friend I am. We just got work out the minor issue of me living in Florida.....#friendsdontletfriendssamplebananapuddingandporkbellyalone.

I'm happy to take on the Banh Mi sausage roll and Kerala Fried Chicken Kati Roll.  Now we just have to work out the not-insubstantial logistics of being in Minnesota, Florida, and Oregon.

• LOL 2

I don't eat a lot of processed cheese, but the House of Flavor line from Yancey's Fancy offers several exceptions.  I love the wasabi horseradish cheddar, and the smoked gouda with bacon and habanero & jalapeño cheddar are good, too.  Today I had the steakhouse onion cheddar and that's seriously good - it's like a much more onion-y version of the Trader Joe's caramelized onion cheddar.

I want to try the other hot pepper cheddars, especially the ghost pepper one, but I haven't found them anywhere locally.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I don't eat a lot of processed cheese, but the House of Flavor line from Yancey's Fancy offers several exceptions.  I love the wasabi horseradish cheddar, and the smoked gouda with bacon and habanero & jalapeño cheddar are good, too.  Today I had the steakhouse onion cheddar and that's seriously good - it's like a much more onion-y version of the Trader Joe's caramelized onion cheddar.

I want to try the other hot pepper cheddars, especially the ghost pepper one, but I haven't found them anywhere locally.

I love the smoked Gouda and bacon too. My local deli counter has a steakhouse onion cheddar that is so good with roast beef. One of the deli guys recommended it instead of regular cheddar I was going to get, and he was right, it is awesome.

• Love 1

My husband eats Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast every day. He loves chocolate, so when I saw chocolate Cheerios, I brought them home. My husband described them as "disappointing". He said they weren't chocolatey enough.

5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My husband eats Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast every day. He loves chocolate, so when I saw chocolate Cheerios, I brought them home. My husband described them as "disappointing". He said they weren't chocolatey enough.

I didn’t like them either. They tasted like dusty old cocoa powder. I will occasionally buy apple cinnamon Cheerios but generally stick with Honey Nut because I’ve disappointed with the other flavors I’ve tried.

• Love 1

I tried Brave Robot Vegan Ice Cream because I had a coupon for a free pint. My flavor choices were very limited. I think there were only three left to choose from: Buttery Pecan, PB & Fudge, and Vanilla. I ended up with the vanilla.  I figured that would be the best flavor for comparison purposes.

It was...okay. It had a weird aftertaste that I can't quite describe. Maybe if I had gone with one of the other flavors the aftertaste would've been mitigated. But it was creamy and ice cream-like.

If you're vegan and craving ice cream, it's probably a good choice. But as an omnivore, I'm not going to pay $5.69 for a pint this when I could pay a dollar or two less for a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, scriggle said:

I tried Brave Robot Vegan Ice Cream because I had a coupon for a free pint. My flavor choices were very limited. I think there were only three left to choose from: Buttery Pecan, PB & Fudge, and Vanilla. I ended up with the vanilla.  I figured that would be the best flavor for comparison purposes.

It was...okay. It had a weird aftertaste that I can't quite describe. Maybe if I had gone with one of the other flavors the aftertaste would've been mitigated. But it was creamy and ice cream-like.

If you're vegan and craving ice cream, it's probably a good choice. But as an omnivore, I'm not going to pay $5.69 for a pint this when I could pay a dollar or two less for a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

I have mixed feelings on plant based ice creams.  I enjoy the option to eat fewer meat based options, and I will agree with you on the flavors-vanilla isn't your friend here.  I have been pleased with some of the oat and coconut milk options I've tried over soy or almond milk variations.  There is an oat milk oatmeal cookie flavor that's great, and a S'mores one that was also rather good amongst the ones I've tried.

The biggest thing missing from plant based options is the softness and creaminess of real dairy.  You have to let it get a little soft since it's rock hard, and the mouth feel is so much better with dairy.  

I've also tried some of them with the hope they would suffice as a lower calorie option for ice cream, which I crave in the summer but am looking to lose weight, and they do suit that craving well enough.  However, I will save up calories any day for a good DQ blizzard over the plant stuff.

I can't seem to find where we had the discussion about powdered Sriracha. I just got the McCormick brand from Amazon.  It was tasty with a bit sprinkled in my bloody mary, but it needs to be cooked to soften the seeds and fine pieces of skin. I'm going to add some into hamburger patties that should do the trick. I think I like the liquid in the squeeze bottle better, it is a bit milder but the dried will have a use also.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2021 at 6:27 PM, AimingforYoko said:

My report:

1. The Naughty Biscuit: Pork Belly was nice and smoky, went well with the pickled onions and jalapenos. The beer-cheese sauce may have been too much as it kind of made a mess of the biscuit. Had to eat the majority of it with a fork. 7.5/10
  2. Banh Mi Sausage Roll: The sausage was solid, but the kimchi was a bit bland (Minnesota, dontcha know) and the bun was too big for the sausage. 6.5/10
  3. Kerala Fried Chicken Kati Roll: We have a winner! The chicken was flavorful and went well with the apple slaw and chutney. The paratha (layered flatbread) was just right as the holder. Definitely would eat again. 9/10
  4. Carmelized Banana Pudding: I love banana anything and banana pudding (Homemade, not instant) with bananas, caramel sauce and whipped cream are right in my sweet spot (pun semi-intended). The only markdown is the cocoa krispies sprinkled over the top, did not want. 8.5/10

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go lay down.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don't eat a lot of frozen food, but sometimes when Costco has a deal on dumplings of some sort, I grab a bag for convenient snacks.  A few months ago I tried some beef bulgogi mandu from Bibigo.  They were delicious.  In the most recent book, they offered chicken & vegetable steamed dumplings by the same brand, but those are a disappointment.  They're not bad, but they're a little bland and the texture of the dough is off.  The former is easily overcome since I make dipping sauce (I don't love the soy sauce that comes with them, and I don't want that salty a sauce on top of the dumplings' sodium content), but the latter I think is an inherent function of how they're cooked and then heated in the microwave.  Plus, I hate the plastic packaging.  I won't buy those again.

I also picked up some pre-cooked chicken Andouille sausage from AmyLu, since I really liked their pre-cooked chicken breakfast sausage I bought there a while back.  It's no substitute for a pork andouille, and I wish it was spicier, but it's quite tasty.

• Useful 1