Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

On 1/31/2019 at 4:59 PM, chessiegal said:

My grocery store offered a free Larabar. I chose a chocolate chip and something flavor. I'd say I got exactly what I paid for it. I'm not sure I'd get another one even if it was offered for free.

Giant Food, right?  I got one too (peanut butter/chocolate) and had the same reaction.  Blech.

I have kefir, yogurt, Kerrygold cheese, and three types of vegan milk in my fridge right now. Living the life!

Anyway today I tried Planet Oat extra creamy unsweetened plain oat milk after suddenly realizing Shop-Rite now has a million different types of oat milk out of nowhere. I guess it's a trend now or something? This brand apparently was just launched a few days ago by the Hood milk company (yay dairy companies getting into the plant game). I think I have had oat milk before, but it was years ago. I should have been having oat milk this whole time! It's really good. It has a creamy, nutty, starchy taste...if you've ever had rice milk it's pretty similar but thicker consistency. Another great thing is that it's high in calories (120 cals per cup, 90 for the non "extra creamy" version). Nut milks have hardly any calories and are just basically for putting in tea or recipes.

Am I allowed to put oat milk in my oatmeal, or...?

Also tried Silk unsweetened vanilla soy milk today. I get the plain unsweetened all the time but decided to try the vanilla. It was pretty much as you would expect. Will probably be good in oatmeal or with my chicory coffee substitute.

The interesting thing is companies really try to get plant-based meat substitutes to taste like meat, but they don't care at all about getting plant milks to taste like milk. The reason probably being that plant milk on its own tastes wayyyyy better than milk. I've always been really grossed out by milk for some reason, like the taste and smell of it, even though I love yogurt and like cheese. I was drinking plant milk for years long before I ever went vegetarian.

On 1/31/2019 at 4:59 PM, chessiegal said:

My grocery store offered a free Larabar. I chose a chocolate chip and something flavor. I'd say I got exactly what I paid for it. I'm not sure I'd get another one even if it was offered for free.

Larabars are annoying because they would be so much better taste and digestibility wise if they just blended the nuts into a nut butter.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, PRgal said:

Ummm, whoever thought of that has weird tastebuds...

I actually enjoy chocolate hummus (haven't tried the chocolate mint). It's like a healthier chocolate pudding. I think a lot of people automatically dismiss the dessert hummuses because they expect hummus to be savory and have garlic and so on. But chickpeas, tahini, and oil don't really taste like much so they are a good base for many flavors.

6 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I have kefir, yogurt, Kerrygold cheese, and three types of vegan milk in my fridge right now. Living the life!

Anyway today I tried Planet Oat extra creamy unsweetened plain oat milk after suddenly realizing Shop-Rite now has a million different types of oat milk out of nowhere. I guess it's a trend now or something? This brand apparently was just launched a few days ago by the Hood milk company (yay dairy companies getting into the plant game). I think I have had oat milk before, but it was years ago. I should have been having oat milk this whole time! It's really good. It has a creamy, nutty, starchy taste...if you've ever had rice milk it's pretty similar but thicker consistency. Another great thing is that it's high in calories (120 cals per cup, 90 for the non "extra creamy" version). Nut milks have hardly any calories and are just basically for putting in tea or recipes.

Am I allowed to put oat milk in my oatmeal, or...?

Also tried Silk unsweetened vanilla soy milk today. I get the plain unsweetened all the time but decided to try the vanilla. It was pretty much as you would expect. Will probably be good in oatmeal or with my chicory coffee substitute.

The interesting thing is companies really try to get plant-based meat substitutes to taste like meat, but they don't care at all about getting plant milks to taste like milk. The reason probably being that plant milk on its own tastes wayyyyy better than milk. I've always been really grossed out by milk for some reason, like the taste and smell of it, even though I love yogurt and like cheese. I was drinking plant milk for years long before I ever went vegetarian.

Larabars are annoying because they would be so much better taste and digestibility wise if they just blended the nuts into a nut butter.

I agree that the nut milks taste way better on their own.  I'm not a vegetarian and I try to eat very little dairy (I am obsessed with skin care and dairy is TERRIBLE for that).  I think coconut or almond milk yogurts are actually really  yummy, and lend themselves well to that application as well.  I use dairy when needed in recipes, etc, but if I'm sauteeing something, it's olive oil; my coffee creamer is almond milk, etc.  

I've hated milk since I was a kid.  We actually had REAL milk, like from a cow, when I was really young.  I disliked it because it was a little yellow and it was super rich.  Kids are so stupid, right?  LOL.  It still cracks me up how great I had it and didn't appreciate it at all!!  

I like to use unsweetened non-dairy milks in making my overnight oatmeal so that I can control the sweetness level and flavor.  But I do love the chocolate coconut milk with oats and bananas.  I wake up excited for breakfast when I make that!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

I agree that the nut milks taste way better on their own.  I'm not a vegetarian and I try to eat very little dairy (I am obsessed with skin care and dairy is TERRIBLE for that).  I think coconut or almond milk yogurts are actually really  yummy, and lend themselves well to that application as well.  I use dairy when needed in recipes, etc, but if I'm sauteeing something, it's olive oil; my coffee creamer is almond milk, etc.  

I've hated milk since I was a kid.  We actually had REAL milk, like from a cow, when I was really young.  I disliked it because it was a little yellow and it was super rich.  Kids are so stupid, right?  LOL.  It still cracks me up how great I had it and didn't appreciate it at all!!  

I like to use unsweetened non-dairy milks in making my overnight oatmeal so that I can control the sweetness level and flavor.  But I do love the chocolate coconut milk with oats and bananas.  I wake up excited for breakfast when I make that!

Unfortunately stores in my area need to stock more unsweetened vegan yogurt. The vegan yogurts they have are all full of sugar. They do have this one unsweetened cashew milk yogurt which is good, but it's expensive so I have only bought it once. The So Delicious brand also has unsweetened coconut milk yogurt that has really good reviews, but none of the stores in my area have it :( I also love putting plant milk in oatmeal, overnight or otherwise, and I just put some frozen berries or bananas and cacao powder and/or vanilla extract in there for flavoring.

It's probably for the best you didn't drink raw milk anyway. Maybe your body was telling you something!

Coke just introduced (or is just about to introduce) Orange Vanilla Coca-Cola & Coke Zero Sugar. The Today show’s Kathie Lee Gifford & Hoda Kotb tried it on Friday’s show. They were confused by the taste and didn’t seem to like it—Ms. Gifford even reminding that Vanilla Coke was a previous flavor bust (I thought that tasted like somebody dumped a powder compact in a Coke)—but their opinions don’t necessarily mean that much, or are accurate. I like that orange vanilla flavor combo, so I’m hoping it’s better than plain Vanilla Coke was—but because of that flavor being so bad I’m not holding out much hope for the new flavor. I wish they’d just bring back Coke Lime, or Lime Coke (whichever way the name went)!

23 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I wish they’d just bring back Coke Lime, or Lime Coke (whichever way the name went)!

YES! Even remember them using a riff of that song "Lime in the Coconut" in the commercials for it. (I do like the California Raspberry Coke out now. The Peach Coke was fine but I tasted little "Coke" in that; that tasted more like Snapple Peach Iced Tea, honestly. And I like Cherry Coke.) 

I agree that Vanilla Coke tasted horrendous. Although someone somewhere must still make it as I see it sold on Amazon.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, auntlada said:

Coca-Cola reintroduced Vanilla Coke in the U.S. in 2007 (according to Wikipedia). It may not be common, but it's there. It's also on Coke's website.

We were talking about bringing back Lime flavored Coke. I think I knew the Vanilla had been brought back; it can stay gone, as far as I’m concerned.

7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

We were talking about bringing back Lime flavored Coke. I think I knew the Vanilla had been brought back; it can stay gone, as far as I’m concerned.

I'm aware of the talk about lime Coke. The tenor of the conversation, however, seemed to me to imply a belief that Coca-Cola no longer made vanilla Coke. (Personally, I like the vanilla Coke, although not as much as cherry, and I hated the lime.)

I like Vanilla Coke and hated Lime Coke - it tasted like Furniture Polish Coke.

Vanilla Coke is sold in cans (12 packs) at all the grocery stores I frequent.  

Last winter, I think it was winter, I tried Pepsi Fire which was a cinnamon flavor.  I didn’t make it past a few sips - it was horrendous.

35 minutes ago, janestclair said:

I don't drink soda any more, but if they brought back lemon flavored Pepsi (Pepsi Twist?) I would absolutely make an exception. I loved that. 

Lime Pepsi and Coke both tasted like floor cleaner.

Coke and Pepsi in general taste like floor cleaner to me. I don't know why people like it so much.

I tried some new products recently.

*Bear Naked granola, peanut butter flavor -- Pretty good, tastes about how you would expect, would be a good snack for outdoor activities.

*NuGo Slim vegan protein bar in peanut butter flavor -- This was great. It had a nice dark chocolate coating around a crunchy peanut butter center (kind of Butterfinger-esque). It doesn't have sugar in it but you can't really tell. I think it's sweetened with glycerin or something. This will be my emergency on the go food. It's not that expensive either. I think it was like $1.50 which is cheap for protein bars.

*Garden of Life Organic Fit vegan protein bar in chocolate almond flavor -- This was one of those dry and hard kind of protein bars. It was decent but not as good as the NuGo Slim one. I was hoping it would be more like the chocolate almond Balance bars I used to have in high school after track. It also doesn't have sugar and I think it's also sweetened with glycerin. I would buy this if I couldn't get the NuGo Slim one but I think it's also more expensive. Also it's marketed as a "weight loss" bar and it has green coffee extract and ashwagandha, which I didn't realize when I bought it, but I would prefer if it didn't have those kinds of ingredients since I don't know how well regulated they are or if there are adverse effects.

*So Delicious coconut vegan yogurt in unsweetened vanilla flavor -- It took me months to come across the unsweetened So Delicious yogurt in stores and I found it in a hippie supermarket today. It was more runny than I thought it would be, and it tasted pretty similar to the Forager unsweetened cashew milk yogurt. Overall I thought it was decent. It definitely had that tangy yogurt taste but it wouldn't be mistaken for non-vegan yogurt.

• Love 1

I just tried almond milk in my cereal for the first time ever this morning. I need to cut down on my dairy. It was pretty tasty. For those that drink it, would you use it in a recipe that called for milk like say, Tuna Helper or a casserole?

3 hours ago, festivus said:

I just tried almond milk in my cereal for the first time ever this morning. I need to cut down on my dairy. It was pretty tasty. For those that drink it, would you use it in a recipe that called for milk like say, Tuna Helper or a casserole?

I'd rather use unsweetened soy milk for recipes like those. The almond flavor might throw off the other flavors.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I'd rather use unsweetened soy milk for recipes like those. The almond flavor might throw off the other flavors.

That’s interesting because I always think that soy milk has a much stronger taste than almond milk. However, I always avoid almond milk because it’s bad for the environment so don’t use it anyway.

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That’s interesting because I always think that soy milk has a much stronger taste than almond milk.

... It is also possible that I'm just really used to the taste of soy milk.

I found salted egg flavored potato chips at an Asian market. It was surprisingly good and really tasted like salted eggs. I don't think I can eat a bowl full of them regularly like I can with plain chips but I might like a small bag once in a while.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I found salted egg flavored potato chips at an Asian market. It was surprisingly good and really tasted like salted eggs. I don't think I can eat a bowl full of them regularly like I can with plain chips but I might like a small bag once in a while.

I bet they would be good crushed up and sprinkled on noodles or maybe used as part of a breading on chicken.

• Useful 1

The new orange vanilla Coke. I had the zero calorie version since I can't have a lot of sugar. It was good but has that "diet soda" taste. I think the full sugar version would be much tastier and wish I can have that.

• Love 1
On 3/11/2019 at 7:58 PM, Snow Apple said:

I think the full sugar version [of Orange Vanilla Coke] would be much tastier and wish I can have that.

Trust me. It's not. (I thought it was horrible.) Got through half a can, couldn't take it anymore, and dumped it down my bathroom sink. I'll stick with regular Coke, Cherry Coke, or the regional Raspberry or Peach flavors. (But, as was said before, I wish Lime Coke would make a comeback!)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Trust me. It's not. (I thought it was horrible.) Got through half a can, couldn't take it anymore, and dumped it down my bathroom sink. I'll stick with regular Coke, Cherry Coke, or the regional Raspberry or Peach flavors. (But, as was said before, I wish Lime Coke would make a comeback!)

Raspberry and peach Coke? How intriguing.

On Will and Grace, Grace once said the reason to travel is to taste that country's coke and now I understand what she means. LOL

• Love 4

I have a former colleague who went to work for that small soft drink company in Atlanta (ahem). We're both chemists. He invited me to visit his lab, and showed me all the different flavors of Coke they had for different countries. It was fascinating.

Edited by chessiegal
becaue spelling is important
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a former collogue who went to work for that small soft drink company in Atlanta (ahem). We're both chemists. He invited me to visit his lab, and showed me all the different flavors of Coke they had for different countries. It was fascinating.

They have Coca-Cola Stores, as part of the World of Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta, by 1 of the resorts on the Las Vegas Strip, & at Walt Disney World’s Disney Springs area in Orlando with areas where you can try different versions of Coke & other beverages made & sold by the Coca-Cola Company in other countries from around the world (apparently you should beware of the drink called Beverly though). At least 1 of these stores has Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, like in many fast food places & other restaurants now, where you can take a beverage made by the Coca-Cola Company & modify it to your tastes (as far as adding flavors is concerned, anyway; I don’t think you can remove anything from your base beverage).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

People don't believe me when I tell them that the Diet Coke tastes better in Latin America!  There's *something* about that regional recipe that's different...my money is on cinnamon.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I also like Birch Beer.

I love birch beer. I love the Stewart’s brand but when I went to order some on Amazon it was over $18 for the 6 pack plus over $8 shipping (not Prime). Too much. I did try an Pennsylvania Dutch one that was ok, but here in the south it is seldom seen. I’m jealous of a friend in NJ who gets a bottle (glass...Stewart’s) for $2. Le sigh. 

5 hours ago, Lovecat said:

People don't believe me when I tell them that the Diet Coke tastes better in Latin America!  There's *something* about that regional recipe that's different...my money is on cinnamon.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Mexican-made Coke (the drink, not the illegal drug) tastes better than American-made. I think it’s something to do with the Mexican version having real sugar in it while ours has something else to sweeten it (& I’m talking about the “regular” version of Coke here, not the diet/“zero sugar” versions, which I know have 1 or more fake sweeteners in them).

On 3/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Mexican-made Coke (the drink, not the illegal drug) tastes better than American-made. I think it’s something to do with the Mexican version having real sugar in it while ours has something else to sweeten it (& I’m talking about the “regular” version of Coke here, not the diet/“zero sugar” versions, which I know have 1 or more fake sweeteners in them).

Euro Fanta is 40,000,000 times better than American Fanta, too.  Euro Fanta is paler, and tastes like actual oranges may have been involved at some point.  It tastes more similar to the sparkling Pellegrino sodas you can buy here.  So good.

I also have been trying to cut back on dairy and really enjoy the almond/coconut yogurts.  My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Coconut.  

I never noticed a difference in Cokes in Europe. But then, I didn't order it much. I do recall being in a McDonald's in Bergen (where I got a Coke & it tasted just like our Coke) where, while standing in a long line, I was shoved aside two different times by men who were crossing to the other side of the room. Never experienced that before. 

• Love 1

I tried the Coke at the Coke museum in Vegas. Not flavored or international versions. Just what they claim is regular. 

It was the best I've ever tasted and remember thinking this is not what's on the store shelves in the US. My travel companions thought the same too so it's not just me. 

My local grocery store chain offered a Non-Dairy Chobani yogurt for free. The ingredients say it is coconut based. I got a blueberry flavored one. It was very soupy in consistency. I add Grapenuts to my yogurt. It was okay, I wouldn't pay money for it, but I guess if you can't do dairy it's an option.

6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oh, they look so good! I’m going to have to try that chocolate hazelnut one pronto. 

I handed my husband a partially eaten tub saying, here, have some crack cocaine. His response - the first one is always free. It is now gone.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

O.M.G. !!!!  I tried this for the first time and may have made a big mistake. It was like what crack cocaine is like for the first time.

Magnum Ice Cream Tubs

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I handed my husband a partially eaten tub saying, here, have some crack cocaine. His response - the first one is always free. It is now gone.

I have one of those in my freezer right now after having a good coupon for one and another for a box of bars along with a sale at the grocery store. The Magnum White Chocolate Bars are really good too. I've been saving the tub because I only have one. I probably sound silly saving a tub of ice cream but they are really expensive at their regular prices.

• Love 1

Two or three times a year I buy a can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and got a craving this week.  I chose a can (of 8 rolls) because they had the buttercream icing (which I figured would be better than the 'plain').  I didn't realize until I had baked them and tried one that they are the kind marketed as 'flaky cinnamon rolls'.  They were really, really good.  (I like the taste of cinnamon rolls, but sometimes they can be a little 'bready'.  And tough if you leave them baking too long.)  I took these out at the minimum baking time and they were brown on top, soft in the middle and definitely flaky around the outside (kind of like sweet crescent rolls). My diet won't let me buy them often, but when I do want to splurge, I'll have to be careful to get those. 

• Love 5
On 7/9/2019 at 10:09 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I blame @Jaded and @chessiegal for this! But my store had the Magnum ice cream tubs on sale, and I just tried the double chocolate. It is NOT crack. It's worse. But OMG!

Soooooooo good. I think I gained 10 lb just looking at it. But YUM!

The Magnum pints with cherry ice cream are divine too.  

• Love 1

I bought a bottle of green tea w/ lemon & matcha in it. Blech! What the hey is matcha? Thank goodness it's in a small bottle & not a big ol' jug. I'm using the remainder as some liquid in smoothies (which hides the nasty matcha taste).