Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I like the spiral cut but I ended up with just a regular one (butt?).  Not because of the price, not because of the cut but because it was the only one in the display that was not the size of a Buick.

• Love 1

I just had a spiral cut ham last night.  My son loves ham, but there is a limit to how much I can eat (it is really a breakfast food for me) and my daughter doesn't eat any.  Most of my extended family in the area are not ham eaters either.  I know there are other types that are smaller, but I've never actually cooked a ham before and not that enthused at the process.

But my nephew and his so are with us for the holidays and they like ham, so I found a smallish one (8.5 lbs) so went with that.  We got all the ham off for either storage and the bone is in a ziploc in the freezer for my nephew to take home with him to make split pea soup.

We kind of snacked mostly for dinner last night - a plate of fruit, some french bread and ham.  Plus watching a movie - Howl's Moving Castle.  Followed by a walk to look at Christmas lights.  Quite nice night.

• Love 4

I bought a "carving ham" at Costco this year.  It is just over 4#, quite lean and boneless. There will just be three of us and I am not a huge fan of ham so hopefully this will work out for us.  I had never seen this type of ham before, so I hope it is good.

Costco carmelized onion dip -YUM!  Along with a big bag of chips and I am all set for NYE.  I have frozen the dip in the past, so that I don't have to eat it for weeks.  Not that that would be a hardship.

• Love 1

We did HoneyBaked for years. Really good but as @JTMacc99 pointed out, a ham is a ham is a ham.

Aaand, we're having ham this year. I got so tired of ham last year the leftovers went home with my brother. Who voted against ham this year. (I did score the beer and Prosecco, priorities, people!)

My kingdom for a turkey.

But I managed to stock in 3 kinds of chips and a bucket of Dean's onion dip. I can't be trusted at home but a holiday rental? I am all in.

We did lights Wednesday night. Years since I had done that. So fun.

• Love 2

Not a food but there isn't an alcohol thread (would their be interest in an alcohol/beer/wine thread?) but a friend just returned from Poland and gifted us a bottle of Żubrówka (apparently called Bison Grass Vodka in the US) it's a vodka made from rye and infused with bison grass and it's absolutely delicious! It tastes like coconut and  vanilla with a hint of grass.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Not a food but there isn't an alcohol thread (would their be interest in an alcohol/beer/wine thread?) but a friend just returned from Poland and gifted us a bottle of Żubrówka (apparently called Bison Grass Vodka in the US) it's a vodka made from rye and infused with bison grass and it's absolutely delicious! It tastes like coconut and  vanilla with a hint of grass.

I see no reason not to fire up that thread. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Does quinoia live up to the hype?  I love rice, potatoes, pastina and other starchy foods, but can't seem to get excited about quinoa

Quinoa is bland on it's own. It needs lots of flavoring. My Whole Foods has 2 quinoa salads on their salad bar that are quite tasty.

• Love 3

I just made Duncan Hines little cheesecake and it's good.  I zested a little lemon in the batter first (a la Ina); next time I'll add a bit more lemon zest.  IMO, this is a good deal if you just want a little cheesecake (and not have tons of leftovers tempting you all week).  It reminds me of the ones my mom was making back in the late 60's, the kind with a little sour cream on the top (it's not THAT good, but hey...it's not as much effort).  So, that's the chocolate cake and the cheesecake we've tried in this Little Cake line.  Next will be the Strawberry Lemon Kiss, a 6" heart shaped cake and glaze mix (maybe closer to Valentine's Day!)  They also have a Red Velvet Cake mix too.

Just tried the Corn Pretz (Pretz are Pocky's uncoated sibling).  It actually tastes like buttered corn - it is pretty good and deeply disturbing at the same time.  I'm kinda afraid to look at the ingredient list.

239f7c166da494701ef69e0ea8459b1b.jpg

Tonight I baked frozen calamari that I bought at Wegman's (Northern Chef oven ready sea salt & pepper calamari).  It is delicious!  I made some pesto aioli that turned out well and also served spaghetti and marinara in which I tossed cooked leftover mushrooms. Plus a salad.  Easy and good. I'm going to buy more of that frozen calamari (cause I don't want to prep calamari myself).

• Love 3

Saturday night I made pizza with a low-carb crust, and my husband gave it his seal of approval. Even used the words "really good." That is why you might have felt the earth shift on its axis. He has Type 2 diabetes, and we were both a bit too lax during the holidays. We're now back on our mission to beat his blood sugar into submission. I made low-carb biscuits over the weekend too, which I thought were pretty good, but he didn't like as much.

Earlier in this thread was a discussion about grilled cheese sandwiches. I recently made sausage and egg grilled cheese sandwiches, and it is offically my new favorite comfort food. Kind of messy to make, but so worth it.

• Love 2

Here's the link. I found it on Pinterest. Even better is that it's very easy to put together -- it only took me about 10 minutes. It's made with almond flour and mozzarella cheese. My only mistake was that I forgot to prick the crust with a fork before sticking it in the oven, and so I did have a big dough bubble on one side, lol. But it still tasted good. It was high praise coming from my husband, the ultimate traditional meat-and-potatoes guy.

I tried a cauliflower crust, and it actually tasted pretty good, but it was way too flimsy. I probably spent 10 minutes trying to squeeze out all the excess water after I steamed it in the microwave before mixing it up, and it still was pretty soggy. A friend of mine told me the secret to doing low-carb substitutes with cauliflower is to roast it in the oven with a few cloves of garlic wrapped in foil. She's right -- I did a cauliflower mash that way last night and it was really good, and also easy. Chopped up a head of cauliflower, drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper, wrapped 4 peeled cloves of garlic with olive oil in a foil packet, roasted the whole thing at 425 for 30 minutes, then threw it in the food processor and blended it with a couple tablespoons of chicken broth and more salt and pepper. I really liked it.

Low Carb Pizza Crust

• Love 1

I had strawberry rhubarb yogurt for breakfast this morning.  Rhubarb in yogurt was new for me and it was just okay but it was an eight ounce serving of full fat dairy which blew those dinky little artificially flavored cups away.

I'm not too keen on peanut butter, but I recently found sunflower seeds butter next to it on a shelf. It tasted like liquid (and less sweet) halva Now I need to come up with the way to eat it. Cause I feel too guilty to just spoon it straight into my mouth lmao

I also tried (and loved) raw sushi grade tuna. A little context: I have a mild form of fish allergy, that can be contained by OTC meds. I've had that all my life and never really ate fish, even though I LOVE all other seafood (crawfish, shellfish, etc) and for some reason my allergy doesn't extend there.

I remember my brother making a cedar plank salmon on the grill. It smelled divine, but when I decided to try it (with meds), all I tasted was... sod... really lol. It was such a disconnect, I was so disappointed. So I was reluctant to try any other fish. Maybe I should skip cooked fish and just go for raw, when I want to experience new taste/texture (that I will enjoy lol)

On 2/9/2017 at 1:40 PM, vavera4ka said:

I'm not too keen on peanut butter, but I recently found sunflower seeds butter next to it on a shelf. It tasted like liquid (and less sweet) halva Now I need to come up with the way to eat it. Cause I feel too guilty to just spoon it straight into my mouth lmao

I also tried (and loved) raw sushi grade tuna. A little context: I have a mild form of fish allergy, that can be contained by OTC meds. I've had that all my life and never really ate fish, even though I LOVE all other seafood (crawfish, shellfish, etc) and for some reason my allergy doesn't extend there.

I remember my brother making a cedar plank salmon on the grill. It smelled divine, but when I decided to try it (with meds), all I tasted was... sod... really lol. It was such a disconnect, I was so disappointed. So I was reluctant to try any other fish. Maybe I should skip cooked fish and just go for raw, when I want to experience new taste/texture (that I will enjoy lol)

Sashimi was the only way I would eat sushi for a long time, as I really dislike the flavor of the nori wrapper.  My favorite is hamachi and toro.  If you liked regular tuna, I think you'd love these two raw!

I made German buttercream for the first time this weekend, and I had never eaten it before, either.  I think I might have met my soul mate.  Deeeeeeeeeeeelicious.

• Love 1

Riced cauliflower.  That stuff is amazing!  I love white rice, but I eat it rarely now, since I'm trying to cut out the bad carbs and anything that will give me a blood sugar spike.  I switched to brown rice, which I like okay, but even though it's healthy, the calorie count can creep up before you know it. I bought a bag of frozen Bird's Eye riced cauliflower and just ate the whole bagful (less than a hundred calories) with a smidge of butter.  I'm going to try it the next time I want to use white rice with something (like a stir fry) and see if I still like it.  

• Love 4
On 1/30/2017 at 2:20 PM, ShellSeeker said:

Earlier in this thread was a discussion about grilled cheese sandwiches. I recently made sausage and egg grilled cheese sandwiches, and it is offically my new favorite comfort food. Kind of messy to make, but so worth it.

Protip: Use crumbled bulk breakfast sausage, much easier to eat.

• Love 1

I've never really been a brown rice eater so I got one of the Minute Rice set of two Instant Bowls. I ate one with some chicken tenders last week and thought that it tasted ok. So I purchased a box of brown rice over the weekend and fixed it with my roasted chicken last week. It was a different brand but still the kind you can make in the microwave and oh em geez was it awful.

When I fix brown rice I use the Green Giant brand of frozen.  You just zap it in the microwave for four minutes.  It's pretty good.  I usually 'doctor' it up with some grilled chicken, sauteed onion and a drizzle of stir fry sauce (and sometimes some broccoli if I want more veggies).  I know I've tried some of the 'boil in bag' stuff and I didn't care for it.  It was mushy. 

14 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Riced cauliflower.

Recently began reading about this stuff - I may be several decades behind most trends and breaking news.  I did see some in my local Trader Joe's this last week.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Riced cauliflower.  That stuff is amazing!  I love white rice, but I eat it rarely now, since I'm trying to cut out the bad carbs and anything that will give me a blood sugar spike.  I switched to brown rice, which I like okay, but even though it's healthy, the calorie count can creep up before you know it. I bought a bag of frozen Bird's Eye riced cauliflower and just ate the whole bagful (less than a hundred calories) with a smidge of butter.  I'm going to try it the next time I want to use white rice with something (like a stir fry) and see if I still like it.  

I eat chicken with rice a lot and that riced cauliflower from Bird's Eye sounds very good and sounds good in stir fry too. Thanks for posting that. I'll look for that at the store.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, BooksRule said:

There's frozen riced cauliflower? Mind=blown.

• Love 4

I stopped by Wal Mart after work to pick up a few things, including some more bags of riced cauliflower.  If you buy some, be sure and look at the package.  I didn't know there was anything except plain, but apparently, there are some that are 'lightly sauced' with roasted garlic, or with herbs, and also Italian cheese.  Those sound tasty, but the 'extras' raise the calorie count high enough that I might as well eat brown rice (which is cheaper).  I put four bags in my cart before I realized that I had grabbed the ones with herb sauce.  They only had one bag of the plain, but I'll be near another Wal Mart on Friday, so I'll stop in to see if they have some plain.  I think I paid $2.48 for the bag, so if you're watching pennies, you would be better off buying fresh cauliflower when it's cheap and making your own (although buying the bag already made is so much easier!). 

The bag and convenience really appeals to me. I agree the plain is the much better option for the cauliflower. Cheese with vegetables is not something I like anyway.

$2.48 doesn't sound too bad to me.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, rcc said:

The bag and convenience really appeals to me. I agree the plain is the much better option for the cauliflower. Cheese with vegetables is not something I like anyway.

$2.48 doesn't sound too bad to me.

I don't think that price sounds bad either considering how much it costs to buy a head of cauliflower.   And no cleaning the food processor!  Unfortunately my grocery store is almost always out of the riced cauliflower.   But I did pick up something called VeggieTots which is basically tater tots, but made with cauliflower.  I liked them a lot, but I had to cook them much longer than the package instructions to get them crisp.

(edited)

I agree that the price for the riced cauliflower isn't too bad when a head of cauliflower is sometimes $2.98 or more.  It would just be better to make your own if you could find cauliflower cheap cheap.  To stay on the topic of cauliflower, I did try the frozen roasted cauliflower, but wasn't impressed.  It tasted okay, but roasting it fresh is much better.  

ETA:  I might give the cauliflower Veggie Tots a try. 

Edited by BooksRule

I've made zucchini veggie tots and cauliflower veggie tots, and they're very good and very satisfying.  I've eaten them with meat, or with another veg side or salad, but they were hearty enough to actually be a main, if you're looking to cut calories.

I didn't know they had FROZEN riced cauliflower!  I have seen it in the fresh section, and I don't care if it's $6 a bag and I'm only getting a half a head of cauliflower in there, it's totally worth it for the convenience because ricing cauliflower is a pain in the arse.

I can't make brown rice to save my life, it always ends up really starchy (even if I rinse it!), so I buy the Minute Rice brown rice and I think it tastes pretty good.  It takes 10 minutes, and I always make extra of that for other meals or freeze it.  

I had never eaten farro until about a year ago, and now I'm obsessed.  It's so much better than quinoa, more flavor and texture.

• Love 2

Zucchini spirals from Wegman's.  A neighbor raved about them so I tried them.  Sauted in olive oil in large skillet with lid on, then when almost done, tossed some grated Parmesan on them.  They were ok (but rather expensive but then I didn't have to do the work of spiraling them).

Some wasabi cheese.  I don't know the brand, as I found a wedge of it in my parents' fridge while cat-sitting, but it is so delicious I will head to the local cheese shop where I'm sure my mom got it and look for it; I hope it's part of the regular stock, and not one of their one-weekend specials (they have a display table available on weekends for people to offer free samples and sell their product).

• Love 1

I bought a couple of the new Duncan Hines 'Perfect Size for 1' mixes and just tried the brownie flavor.  It tasted good (like a gooey fudge brownie hot out of the oven), but you don't get much, considering that it's 340 calories for the 2 or 3 spoonfuls you get (and once it gets the slightest bit cool, whatever left really sticks to the mug so you can't scrape the last bits out--it gets gluey).  So, it's tasty, but not really worth the calories. (I also bought the lemon flavor, but will try it another day.  Each box has four envelopes in it.)

ETA:  You definitely don't get as much 'baked' product in the mug as you see on the box!

https://www.duncanhines.com/products/perfect-size-for-one/ps41-brownie-mix/

Edited by BooksRule

@BooksRule, I posted a comment on the Cookbooks review thread about a couple of baking books full of recipes that only make two or three servings.  If you don't mind the effort of making things from scratch, I recommend them highly.

• Love 1

I always roll my eyes when advertisers try to pass off yogurt as being as good as dessert but the Chobani Dulce de Leche Greek yogurt  is so delicious it's better than dessert!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Qoass said:

I always roll my eyes when advertisers try to pass off yogurt as being as good as dessert but the Chobani Dulce de Leche Greek yogurt  is so delicious it's better than dessert!

Totally agree.  And although it's not as creamy or sweet as the Dulce de Leche, have you tried their Passionfruit flavor?  Only one grocery store in my area stocks that flavor, grrrrrr.

• Love 1

Mushroom truffle fried rice.

Had it at a fancy chinese restaurant which charged $40 for plate of it.

Went home and decided to make my own. Used king oyster and shitake mushrooms in the fried rice. Ordered a jar of truffle paste for $100 which was delicious and very moreish in the rice but I had to use so much to get the truffle smell. Thought about it and decided to buy a nice truffle oil to add to the fried rice which had a much stronger smell so I could reduce the amount of truffle paste used.

I think I finally have it just as yummy as the restaurant's version!

• Love 3
On 4/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, biakbiak said:

Did you go Animal Style? It's the only way to go!

I have one close to me but have never gone because I don't know how to order!  Lol

ETA.  Just googled.  In will get animal style, extra toast which means a more toasted than usual bun and medium rare.  I am ready!  

Edited by wings707

The boys love friands but it's a pain saving up enough egg whites to make them since there is only so much curd I can make with the leftover yolks! Plus we need egg whites for Pavlovas too! 

Anyway today I found a recipe for what looks like a modified frangipane batter and have used that to make pear "friands". So yummy and it uses up whole eggs! 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, larapu2000 said:

Totally agree.  And although it's not as creamy or sweet as the Dulce de Leche, have you tried their Passionfruit flavor?  Only one grocery store in my area stocks that flavor, grrrrrr.

yes on a passion fruit! Sometimes I can find Noosa in my area. Something about passion fruit and yogurt combination... I'd add peach to it (honestly I'd add peach to almost anything lol)

will have to try and see if we have dulce del leche here. taste of childhood for me when we used to boil cans of swett condenced milk.