Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

We are having a real issue here in Fort Wayne with people making appointments for the vaccine at the Coliseum where they are doing huge numbers and just... not showing up.  it's awful and wasteful of doses that can't be refrozen and go to waste.  I know they have a wait list for extras that they need to find people to take, but apparently it's still leaving doses having to be thrown away.

My vaccine appointment for the fist dose is a month away, and I would get on the wait list, but I don't have reliable transportation and I don't wanna complicate the process for others. 

2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Long day. My tiny humans were all amped up in the morning, and exhausted and snoozy after lunch. I was much the same.  I wish I was still on the beach. 

I didn't realize any NOVA schools were back in session today.  My girls aren't looking forward to going back tomorrow.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

There is NOTHING available in my neck of the woods. I'll just keep trying....

That's the way it was around here for a while. Now that pharmacies are doing them, folks I know are having better luck. They're randomly checking online registries and finding open slots. I hope you can find one soon.

Even though I'm not behaving and differently, having the vax feels liberating. When my son came home from the hospital in February, and even though he was tested for covid twice, I had mild concerns of him contracting it there and bringing it home. This time we're fully vaxxed and the concerns are almost non-existent. 

It must be stressful for you with your husband working at the hospital. Sending out good vibes for a spot to open up soon for you.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Bewitched said:

I didn't realize any NOVA schools were back in session today.  My girls aren't looking forward to going back tomorrow.

No formal classes yesterday. I should have been more specific. Sorry. I've been tutoring 4 of my tiny humans after school in math and reading. These particular tiny humans are having some problems getting the hang of those subjects and need a little more help.  I had an online session with them yesterday. An hour for math, then lunch break, then an hour after lunch for reading. Let's just say their hearts weren't fully in it.  Hopefully today is better. 

• Love 3
(edited)
53 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

No formal classes yesterday. I should have been more specific. Sorry. I've been tutoring 4 of my tiny humans after school in math and reading. These particular tiny humans are having some problems getting the hang of those subjects and need a little more help.  I had an online session with them yesterday. An hour for math, then lunch break, then an hour after lunch for reading. Let's just say their hearts weren't fully in it.  Hopefully today is better. 

Wow! Even kindergarten kids need tutoring?  Who'd a thunk?  You must be one dedicated teacher to be willing to give up the last day of vacation to do private tutoring.

Of course, you said it was a 'long day' for you in your first post but it sounds like it was about 2 hours of your time.  Not so long in my world.  Until I've been working 12 hours straight, I don't even pretend I've had a long day.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

we randomly just got lucky on appts. My neighbor, who is 70 told me how he got his appt through a big hospital. The website said no appts. available. You had to call the covid vaccination hotline for the hospital at 8 am and they would schedule you. I waited on hold 35min, but got a same day appt. To get an appt that way you had to have an online MyChart thing with them so MrCrazy8s wasn't eligible. For him I found a CVS that said no appts, but when I called their hotline number they had an entire day of appts open.

we are both up for second dose this week🙂

• Love 7

Has anyone heard of the Vaccine Queens?  They're a couple of women here in Northeast Ohio who've scheduled Covid  vaccine appointments for hundreds of people; all for free.  They started out separately, helping friends and family get appointments and eventually found out about each other and joined forces to help anyone who asked.  People just email them with their name, age, zip code and how far they're willing to travel for the vaccine.  They have given lots of interviews with tips on how to get an appointment at the various venues.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/vaccinating-ohio/as-mass-vaccinations-in-ohio-ramp-up-vaccine-queens-share-tips-on-scoring-a-covid-19-vaccine-appointment-online

• Useful 5
  • Love 13
33 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I didn't even know tutoring in kindergarten was a thing. These poor little 5 year olds. The world needs to slow down and let kids be kids.

I had a former neighbor who taught kindergarten.  She said she knew it was time to get out when she had parents complaining that it was Christmas and their kid still couldn't read.  In kindergarten!  As she told me, she had 3 sons, none of them learned to read or write until they entered first grade, and, yet, they'd all grown up to be good students and decent people; they managed to graduate college and get good jobs, even though they weren't reading at age 5.  She thought the kids were losing out on a lot of social skills that used to be the core of kindergarten learning.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Elementary aged kids in our district who need additional reading assistance are pulled out during the normal school day to work with a Title 1 reading teacher for additional assistance. I assume they have a similar set up for additional math assistance. 

The emphasis on reading in kindergarten has definitely increased since I was in school. Kindergarten teachers are some of the busiest people I know, just managing regular classroom instruction and all the documentation required. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Wow! Even kindergarten kids need tutoring?  Who'd a thunk?  You must be one dedicated teacher to be willing to give up the last day of vacation to do private tutoring.

Of course, you said it was a 'long day' for you in your first post but it sounds like it was about 2 hours of your time.  Not so long in my world.  Until I've been working 12 hours straight, I don't even pretend I've had a long day.

Two of them have mild autism, and the other 2 were barely old enough to go to kinder. I think they should have all been kept out of school for another year. But they're falling behind, and doing better with tutoring. A week off and they forget quite a bit. They had trouble when they came back from Christmas break. I don't want them to fall behind.  Early intervention is key

Also included in my day was catching up on my paperwork, cleaning house and doing laundry and catching up on the mail from last week, and playing referee with my kids. Add in a bad night's sleep because the neighbors dog was barking all night and bothering my dogs, who were restless and pacing all over, and it makes for a long day. I'm glad I've got a pressure cooker, which made getting dinner on the table much easier. 

• Love 8

In my school, there wasn't specialized tutoring for kindergarten students with teachers at our school, but parents could pay for private tutors themselves. Most kids who had significant delays in reading or math simply repeated kindergarten again, along with those who weren't able to handle a classroom setting just yet. Those were always the popular kids in high school because they were driving before everyone else, lol. My friends on the east coast with school age kids are in pretty good moods today, as all of their kids finally went back to school today after spring break ended. Down here, the spring break is Monday through Friday, it never goes Monday to Monday with kids returning on a Tuesday. That would have been nice to have an extra day off to prepare for the routine again.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Down here, the spring break is Monday through Friday, it never goes Monday to Monday with kids returning on a Tuesday. That would have been nice to have an extra day off to prepare for the routine again.

Our district had a teacher workday yesterday to finish out the 3rd quarter.  At the high school level at least, the teachers were busy completing the grade book and grading all the assignments the kids finished up over spring break last week.  Unfortunately, with the majority of the kids doing virtual learning in my area, a lot of the kids are slacking off and waiting until the last minute to complete assignments.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I got really lucky on Saturday and was able to get an appointment at Walgreens for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine (so only one shot). My state got a shipment of J & J on Saturday so I was stalking various sites for appointments. It was truly just the luck of the draw. I had my shot this morning. My husband got his yesterday and has a sore arm today and says he feels pretty foggy but that’s it. My arm is already sore  but it was well worth it. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

In my school, there wasn't specialized tutoring for kindergarten students with teachers at our school, but parents could pay for private tutors themselves. Most kids who had significant delays in reading or math simply repeated kindergarten again, along with those who weren't able to handle a classroom setting just yet. Those were always the popular kids in high school because they were driving before everyone else, lol. My friends on the east coast with school age kids are in pretty good moods today, as all of their kids finally went back to school today after spring break ended. Down here, the spring break is Monday through Friday, it never goes Monday to Monday with kids returning on a Tuesday. That would have been nice to have an extra day off to prepare for the routine again.

My FB feed yesterday was more like a day in September than April. So many 'first day' of school pics.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Even though I'm not behaving and differently, having the vax feels liberating.

100% agree! from the very day i got the first shot, i felt relief. i have been gong to a few restaurants since then (indoors) but i still generally keep my distance from folks.  i did get to visit with  my bff in person finally after over a year. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Even though I'm not behaving and differently, having the vax feels liberating.

Same here. I'm being as careful as I can, wearing my mask, etc., but as I said, at least when I'm interacting with people I just feel less anxious. Much less!

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Same here. I'm being as careful as I can, wearing my mask, etc., but as I said, at least when I'm interacting with people I just feel less anxious. Much less!

Me too.   I still wear a mask in public,, and wear both a mask and face shield in the office because my employer requires it; I just feel better about going to work  each day.  And, seeing the vaccinations ramp up so spectacularly in the past couple months has really started to make me feel like we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, thank goodness.

• Love 12

I too feel a great sense of relief with the vaccine hopefully working hard keeping me safe.

Just watched one of the morning shows and they say Covid is rearing it's ugly head again.  It's hitting 10-20 year olds hard.  Ball games and Spring Break are a couple of the reasons.  Not too many in the over 70 due to the vaccine.

I never in a million years would have believed at the end of my lifetime I would be living in a Pandemic.  Wow.

Actually I'm thinking I've got maybe another ten years to go so...what's next?  lol

• Love 6

Since I took in Cosmo, I have been getting so much more exercise. I’m averaging between 8k-12k steps a day! Pre-Cosmo I was getting 2-3k on a typical day. It’s been unseasonably warm in Chicagoland the last few days, today we walked around the entire neighborhood park and worked on our leash manners. He’s a bit reactive to other large dogs. Small dogs he’s fine with, he sees them and knows they are dogs, but they don’t hold his interest. Dogs his size......that’s another story. 

• Love 24
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Since I took in Cosmo, I have been getting so much more exercise. I’m averaging between 8k-12k steps a day! Pre-Cosmo I was getting 2-3k on a typical day. It’s been unseasonably warm in Chicagoland the last few days, today we walked around the entire neighborhood park and worked on our leash manners. He’s a bit reactive to other large dogs. Small dogs he’s fine with, he sees them and knows they are dogs, but they don’t hold his interest. Dogs his size......that’s another story. 

The exercise is wonderful for both of you. 😊

• Love 6

@Scarlett45, it sounds like you and Cosmo are good for each other! 

I am feeling some side effects from my vaccination shot (J & J) yesterday. Last night I had body aches and chills (but no real fever) and today my entire body hurts, especially my back, and I have a headache. All normal side effects, and I was expecting to have some since I usually do with other vaccinations (my immune system is apparently sensitive). My husband got the same shot on Monday and was tired and mentally foggy yesterday but it back to normal today, so I’m hoping that I’ll have a similar experience. 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I am feeling some side effects from my vaccination shot (J & J) yesterday. Last night I had body aches and chills (but no real fever) and today my entire body hurts, especially my back, and I have a headache. All normal side effects, and I was expecting to have some since I usually do with other vaccinations (my immune system is apparently sensitive). My husband got the same shot on Monday and was tired and mentally foggy yesterday but it back to normal today, so I’m hoping that I’ll have a similar experience. 

I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon, and I had the worst night of sleep in awhile.  Fever, chills, and body ache.  I have a slight headache, but that could be from the pollen or the vaccine.  It's Pine Pollen Season here.  I also have limited use of my left arm.  Seriously, why does this shot hurt more than other vaccinations?  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I hope you’ll feel better as the day goes by.  My post second shot was pretty intense, but now I’m wondering if I had some allergy stuff going on too.  With a headache it’s difficult to say. 

2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon, and I had the worst night of sleep in awhile.  Fever, chills, and body ache.  I have a slight headache, but that could be from the pollen or the vaccine.  It's Pine Pollen Season here.  I also have limited use of my left arm.  Seriously, why does this shot hurt more than other vaccinations?  

I hope the worst is over for you.  With my allergies.....idk.  It is difficult to distinguish.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That’s a really good question! I wonder if I am more sensitive than usual right now because I have bad allergies so my immune system is already on high alert. But while that might explain my reaction, it’s sounds like a lot of people are having side effects so there must be a broader issue. Maybe because it’s a new vaccine, and our bodies haven’t experienced it before, unlike the flu vaccine, which most of us are used to getting regularly. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 5
On 4/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, GeeGolly said:

I didn't even know tutoring in kindergarten was a thing. These poor little 5 year olds. The world needs to slow down and let kids be kids.

As some of you know, I taught kindergarten for nearly 20 years in a large urban school district.  The emphasis in “formal” instruction in math, reading and writing just about pushed out learning how to get along with each other, practicing fine motor skills so they COULD hold a pencil or crayon correctly.

I did try to “sneak” fun things in, like cooking activities that went along with books we were reading, or “field trips” to different places around the school to see how the workers did their jobs.  It got harder and harder to do this as time went by...

• Love 2

I got the Pfizer vaccine in February, well before allergy season here (which is in full swing today and I have the allergy headache from hell), and got the same side effects many have mentioned. Maybe it's the mRNA technology in it? I got the TDaP vaccine with no side effects other than a sore arm and I haven't gotten the flu shot in years since it messes with my thyroid meds, but I don't remember getting sick after that one. Maybe doodlebug our medical guru has an idea on it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

For those who are still having trouble getting the vaccine, have you tried the Dr B waiting list? It connects extra doses with people nearby. Anyone can get on the list regardless of eligibility, but it does prioritize who it contacts first. Sorry if this has already been posted. I’m very behind and couldn’t read all the posts I missed. 
https://hidrb.com/

Eta: Also, if you are in the Chicago area, there is an amazing FB group called Chicago Vaccine Hunters. People post tons of helpful info in real time and some are helping others get appointments. My family got our appointments thanks to information from this group. It’s a private group so it doesn’t come up when you search Facebook.  The link is in this news article.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/hundreds-join-chicago-facebook-group-searching-for-leftover-covid-19-vaccine-doses/2436891/

Edited by EVS
Added link
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I saw this headline in my local news today:

Vaccine supply starting to outpace demand as state makes all adults eligible

Apparently now the issue is getting the vaccine to the underserved population.

I live on the border between two counties and the difference in approaches has been interesting.  The neighboring wealthier county has been focusing on large drive through clinics.  Great for many people but it leaves those without transportation out in the cold.  My poorer county outsourced the vaccination administration to the large university hospital system in the area.  While you can get on the waitlist online or via phone, all actual appointments are done via phone only to even out the playing field a bit.  They take patients at their main large vaccine clinics where they have the infrastructure support to provide things like wheelchairs, and then they added local clinics in the economically depressed areas of the county.   The idea is to be within walking distance of people who may not have transportation, or to be near multiple bus routes.  My second dose is actually scheduled to be in an abandoned rollerskating rink that the county took over for the purpose. 

• Love 15

I found it interesting and a bit gratifying that the wealthy town I grew up in was not favored in receiving vaccines. They had the vax site set up months ago, but have yet to receive any vaccines. Gratifying in the sense this town uses their wealth in very privileged ways within their borders and only makes vanity efforts to help others.

I can enjoy this only because they do have the same access to vaccines as the surrounding communities and the means to obtain them.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I got the Pfizer vaccine in February, well before allergy season here (which is in full swing today and I have the allergy headache from hell), and got the same side effects many have mentioned. Maybe it's the mRNA technology in it? I got the TDaP vaccine with no side effects other than a sore arm and I haven't gotten the flu shot in years since it messes with my thyroid meds, but I don't remember getting sick after that one. Maybe doodlebug our medical guru has an idea on it. 

From what I understand, it's an immune system thing.  The headaches, fevers, aches and fatigue are due to the immune system's response to the vaccine.  I don't think it is caused by mRNA.  It varies from individual to individual, some people will get symptoms and others won't.  There are reports that older people and men seem to be reporting fewer side effects than younger people and women.

Some people do have a similar immune response to Tdap and other vaccines.  I am not sure, but, I wonder if, with time, researchers are able to refine a vaccine so that it causes fewer side effects?  That most of us don't have much problem with Tdap and flu shots because those particular vaccines have been around long enough that we can prevent most immune reactions?  I don't actually know, but I think it is possible.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

I'll be getting my 2nd Pfizer shot in exactly 1 hour.  I have some mid-range allergy drama (drainage, mild headache).  I'm hoping the allergies and vaccine don't team up to make things even worse.  😐

Wish me luck!

• Love 17
25 minutes ago, peppergal said:

I saw this headline in my local news today:

Vaccine supply starting to outpace demand as state makes all adults eligible

Apparently now the issue is getting the vaccine to the underserved population.

I live on the border between two counties and the difference in approaches has been interesting.  The neighboring wealthier county has been focusing on large drive through clinics.  Great for many people but it leaves those without transportation out in the cold.  My poorer county outsourced the vaccination administration to the large university hospital system in the area.  While you can get on the waitlist online or via phone, all actual appointments are done via phone only to even out the playing field a bit.  They take patients at their main large vaccine clinics where they have the infrastructure support to provide things like wheelchairs, and then they added local clinics in the economically depressed areas of the county.   The idea is to be within walking distance of people who may not have transportation, or to be near multiple bus routes.  My second dose is actually scheduled to be in an abandoned rollerskating rink that the county took over for the purpose. 

Here in Cleveland, they have opened a mass vaccination center at the Convocation Center at Cleveland  State University downtown.  They are vaccinating up to 7000 a day.  The site is being run by the military including the national guard which makes sense since they are experts at vaccinating large numbers of people.  The city and county are running all sorts of shuttle buses, many of them from churches in the inner city.  Multiple pastors from those churches have gone down and gotten their vaccine and are publicizing it through the church bulletin and from the pulpit.  The shuttles run literally door to door.  The regional bus system has also promised free rides to anyone going down to CSU for the vaccine.

They started out mainly giving the Pfizer vaccine, but, from what I understand, they are switching to J&J from this point forward to avoid having to schedule second doses.  I have spoken to at least a dozen people who've gone down for the vaccine and not a single complaint; every single one was in and out in minutes and raved about the fast, efficient system.

• Love 14

Good luck, Jenniferbug, you got this! 

I'm wondering if 1) we'll have to get the Covid vaccine yearly like a flu shot and 2) if subsequent vaccines will have fewer or less severe side effects? My nurse cousin says they are still studying how long the immunity lasts, but it's at least 6 months so far. I'm hopeful that if we do have to do this once a year they'll get it down to one shot and it won't knock people out for days on end. And I'm hopeful that the vaccine is good against the new variant that seems to be taking over and has more severe side effects. I HATE COVID. Why won't it just go away already? Doesn't it understand everyone hates it and it's not welcome at the party?

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I'll be getting my 2nd Pfizer shot in exactly 1 hour.  I have some mid-range allergy drama (drainage, mild headache).  I'm hoping the allergies and vaccine don't team up to make things even worse.  😐

Wish me luck!

Exact same! I’m leaving the house here in about 20 min for my 2nd Pfizer vaccine. And my allergies are already out in full force. Here’s hoping we both have a positive experience .

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Good luck, Jenniferbug, you got this! 

I'm wondering if 1) we'll have to get the Covid vaccine yearly like a flu shot and 2) if subsequent vaccines will have fewer or less severe side effects? My nurse cousin says they are still studying how long the immunity lasts, but it's at least 6 months so far. I'm hopeful that if we do have to do this once a year they'll get it down to one shot and it won't knock people out for days on end. And I'm hopeful that the vaccine is good against the new variant that seems to be taking over and has more severe side effects. I HATE COVID. Why won't it just go away already? Doesn't it understand everyone hates it and it's not welcome at the party?

I would not be surprised at all if we don't need an annual COVID booster when all is said and done.  Especially with all the new variants out there, I think they will refine the vaccine to suit whatever versions of the virus are currently rampant just like the flu shots.

So far, both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines show no loss of immunity 6 months out.  The hope is that it will last a lot longer than that, it just hasn't been around long enough to know.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Here in Cleveland, they have opened a mass vaccination center at the Convocation Center at Cleveland  State University downtown.  They are vaccinating up to 7000 a day.  The site is being run by the military including the national guard which makes sense since they are experts at vaccinating large numbers of people.  The city and county are running all sorts of shuttle buses, many of them from churches in the inner city.  Multiple pastors from those churches have gone down and gotten their vaccine and are publicizing it through the church bulletin and from the pulpit.  The shuttles run literally door to door.  The regional bus system has also promised free rides to anyone going down to CSU for the vaccine.

They started out mainly giving the Pfizer vaccine, but, from what I understand, they are switching to J&J from this point forward to avoid having to schedule second doses.  I have spoken to at least a dozen people who've gone down for the vaccine and not a single complaint; every single one was in and out in minutes and raved about the fast, efficient system.

My local hospital took over the convention center in town for their mass vaccination site.  They mapped out every inch of the space to make it as quick and painless as possible.  I volunteered there in March in the back and got my first dose after a shift.  I was in a room entering data into our state's corona database.  Yesterday, I was a regular patient getting my second dose.  Leaving out the 15 minutes they made me wait after the shot, it took me longer getting into the building than getting the actual shot.  I pulled into the parking lot at 1:30 and left at 2.

• Love 13
(edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Humm. I wonder if you go to a place they are giving vaccinations at the very end of the time set up for administering there might be some extra doses?

I pray everybody that wants one is able to get them.

My state of Indiana is now vaccinating anybody over 16!   Hoosiers have done a wonderful job.

Reading Michigan is in trouble with a lot of 10-20 year olds in the hospital.  Spring break and ball games.

God bless our children and grandchildren.

Well I'm pretty excited!  My yearly bloodwork all came back in the average range!  I was so afraid it was going to show I had diabetes!  I wasn't eating very healthy the last few months!  Boredom and covid made me crave sugar.  I baked and ate!

So after my doctor visit I started eating much healthier!  Now the good news all is well.  A great day for sure.

I just returned from the market with cabbage, carrots, red peppers,  baby cucumbers, eggplant, Apple's and oranges!

A change for sure.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 12

Hope environmental allergies aren't a factor in vaccine side effects. I have year-round allergies, but spring is always bad for me, and this year is no different. I get second dose in two days. I didn't get my annual steroid shots for allergies last year due to the pandemic and have been putting them off again until after this shot. Am looking forward to that shot almost as much as the COVID one! (Said without sarcasm.)

I think my granny has reached her maximum capacity for anti vax bullshit. She told me one of her friends told her it was the mark of the beast, and my grandmother asked her why you would need the vaccine record if they could just scan you. Lol I gather the conversation deteriorated from there. 

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

Hope environmental allergies aren't a factor in vaccine side effects. I have year-round allergies, but spring is always bad for me, and this year is no different. I get second dose in two days. I didn't get my annual steroid shots for allergies last year due to the pandemic and have been putting them off again until after this shot. Am looking forward to that shot almost as much as the COVID one! (Said without sarcasm.)

I think my granny has reached her maximum capacity for anti vax bullshit. She told me one of her friends told her it was the mark of the beast, and my grandmother asked her why you would need the vaccine record if they could just scan you. Lol I gather the conversation deteriorated from there. 

I don't see a link between 2nd dose reaction and environmental allergies.  I have a headache today that is either because of my shot or because of the Pollening.  The body ache OTOH is all vaccine.  Even my boobs are sore and according to Clue it's not because of my period. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, EVS said:

For those who are still having trouble getting the vaccine, have you tried the Dr B waiting list? It connects extra doses with people nearby. Anyone can get on the list regardless of eligibility, but it does prioritize who it contacts first. Sorry if this has already been posted. I’m very behind and couldn’t read all the posts I missed. 
https://hidrb.com/

Eta: Also, if you are in the Chicago area, there is an amazing FB group called Chicago Vaccine Hunters. People post tons of helpful info in real time and some are helping others get appointments. My family got our appointments thanks to information from this group.

Are you sure that is the correct name for the FB group? Perhaps you could provide a link to the group? I couldn't find it on FB. I'm vaccinated, but would like to help my sister to get vaccinated in the Chicago area. TIA @EVS

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Humm. I wonder if you go to a place they are giving vaccinations at the very end of the time set up for administering there might be some extra doses?

I pray everybody that wants one is able to get them.

My state of Indiana is now vaccinating anybody over 16!  He Hoosiers have done a wonderful job.

Reading Michigan is in trouble with a lot of 10-20 year olds in the hospital.  Spring break and ball games.R

God bless our children and grandchildren.

I live in a "severe risk level" county in southeast Michigan. It's scary here. I cringe whenever people come within ten feet of me, but I am the only person in my condo building who wears a mask to and from my car. 

I had covid in November thanks to an idiot or idiots in my office. My case was mild-moderate, and it still sucked. I still don't have all my senses of taste or smell back. Covid is no joke and I want to punch anybody who doesn't take it seriously. 

• Love 13

Mr Jyn got his second vaccine today, so will see how he feels tomorrow. We have a pretty solid day of fairly heavy gardening planned, so hopefully it won't hit him too hard. Then again, he has a habit of working harder than usual when he is sick, in the hopes that he can ignore it into submission. I'm more the one who has the typical "man cold", and just want to stay in bed and get lots of sympathy and attention. Mr Jyn is not a sympathy and attention kind of guy. He hates it, so doesn't feel that it's any use for anyone else.

My second jab is on Saturday. Hopefully I don't get too much of a reaction. My immune system seems to be pretty well on its toes most of the time, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Are you sure that is the correct name for the FB group? Perhaps you could provide a link to the group? I couldn't find it on FB. I'm vaccinated, but would like to help my sister to get vaccinated in the Chicago area. TIA @EVS

Sorry, I forgot to include a link. It’s a private group. The link is in the news article. 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/hundreds-join-chicago-facebook-group-searching-for-leftover-covid-19-vaccine-doses/2436891/

• Useful 2

Since there's a lot of vaccine talk here, and a lot of women-in-their-60s, I'll just throw into the conversation that my 2nd vaccination date came and went and I did not take it because I continue to experience side effects from the first. Started around 10 days after the first vaccine, and continue unabated (worsening, actually). A multitude of examinations and blood tests revealed NOTHING. Two different doctors threw up their hands and said "side effects!" Fever, headache, overwhelming exhaustion, joint pain, etc etc etc. 

I attribute this to my extreme competitiveness. Gotta be the best at everything! And I'm the best side-effect-er. 

I am very fearful that this is permanent. Also concerned what it will mean to not be fully vaccinated in a future "vaccine-passport" world. I'm hoping there's a passport version that says "I really TRIED! I know it's not the mark of Satan or an implanted chip!"

Also, I'm just venting here because I can't anywhere else. I mentioned this in a single group text to my (now former) gym friends, and I was (figuratively) assaulted with "See? SEE? Untested vaccines are dangerous! That's why I'm not getting it!" I already know I've become "This Lady" in numerous "I know This Lady who got crippled by her first vaccine" facebook posts that are spreading like wildfire locally. 

Hopefully someone here will post a picture of a puppy. I love dogs!

skatelady, a nurse at my eye surgeon's office is experiencing something similar. She is still experiencing fatigue and extremely sore joints weeks after having the vaccine. At first, she could barely use her right hand because her joints were so stiff and swollen. She said it's slowly getting better with time, but it's taking a freaking long time. They were considering giving her steroids to see if that helped but she's not a fan of the side effects from those, either, so she's waiting it out for now. I hope your symptoms get better soon, that sounds pretty miserable. 

Also, I'm stealing "the Pollening" and "man cold" for future use, lol.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, skatelady said:

Since there's a lot of vaccine talk here, and a lot of women-in-their-60s, I'll just throw into the conversation that my 2nd vaccination date came and went and I did not take it because I continue to experience side effects from the first. Started around 10 days after the first vaccine, and continue unabated (worsening, actually). A multitude of examinations and blood tests revealed NOTHING. Two different doctors threw up their hands and said "side effects!" Fever, headache, overwhelming exhaustion, joint pain, etc etc etc. 

I attribute this to my extreme competitiveness. Gotta be the best at everything! And I'm the best side-effect-er. 

I am very fearful that this is permanent. Also concerned what it will mean to not be fully vaccinated in a future "vaccine-passport" world. I'm hoping there's a passport version that says "I really TRIED! I know it's not the mark of Satan or an implanted chip!"

Also, I'm just venting here because I can't anywhere else. I mentioned this in a single group text to my (now former) gym friends, and I was (figuratively) assaulted with "See? SEE? Untested vaccines are dangerous! That's why I'm not getting it!" I already know I've become "This Lady" in numerous "I know This Lady who got crippled by her first vaccine" facebook posts that are spreading like wildfire locally. 

The future vaccine passport world will have accommodations for people who for various medical reasons cannot get the vaccine.  Not everyone can get the Covid vaccine, and the powers that be are fully aware of this.  That is how herd immunity works, those who can get the vaccine in order to protect those who cannot.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, skatelady said:

Sorry you're having such severe side effects from the vaccine. Hope they abate soon. And hope Pete and Queenie will make you feel better. ❤️

FB_IMG_1617468546235.jpg

• Love 18