Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, awaken said:

Happy the forums are back up!  I've missed you guys, and my nightly Duggar snark reading!  

Me too. The PTV hiatus coincided with my beginning to read about Digital Minimalism. I believe I would benefit from less time online but I'm not ready to quit PTV. Yet. Sigh.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Me too. The PTV hiatus coincided with my beginning to read about Digital Minimalism. I believe I would benefit from less time online but I'm not ready to quit PTV. Yet. Sigh.

Did you read the series of articles about quitting the Big 5? That's Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Apple, and Facebook? It seems near impossible. Someone pointed out in the comments that even withdrawing money from an ATM likely involved technology and information from one of the Big 5.

This is the final article in the series where she quits ALL five.

https://gizmodo.com/i-cut-the-big-five-tech-giants-from-my-life-it-was-hel-1831304194

• Love 3

I was surprised to find myself writing posts in my head or thinking, "I can't wait to see what people said about THIS" for nearly every show I watched during the forum hiatus. It was a long two days. I can quit anytime?

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I'm so glad we're back! Missed you guys. It's been a big week! I got to meet with the recruiter on Thursday, and it went really well. We had to cancel our meeting last week because I was sick (just a virus that wasn't too bad). I hope she will have some work for me! I'm starting to really question if I will ever find something. my friend's mom knows a lot of employers, and had someone contact her about a temp administrative assistant job. She gave her my resume, and the manager said she wouldn't hire me because I didn't have Microsoft word on my resume. Seriously?! I just feel like:

1. Who doesn't know how to use Microsoft word? At least among people under 40? That's all we did for three years in middle school computer class, haha. I wouldn't even have thought to put that on there because it is soooo obvious, and I have actual accomplishments to list, but I guess I'll add it.

2. I went to a prestigious (at least for this area, but with a good reputation on a national scale) university. What do they think I wrote my papers on? A typewriter? The job only requires a high school diploma. How would I get through that university being computer illiterate?

3. I have eight years of yearbook advising experience, and experience working at a newspaper. Both of those obviously require harder software than word, plus I did design and pictures (and that is all on my resume). 

But seriously. MS Word. Even if you somehow lived under a rock and didn't know how to use it, it's not hard...at all. I can't imagine anyone struggling to pick it up. 

And this is for a temp job, on top of that!

geeez Louise. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

OK, I was worried about the new emoticons (I have some irrational fear of being downvoted lol) but these aren't too bad and they are generally positive.

Me too. Omg, do you guys ever have Facebook friends use the "haha" for something completely weird? Like, if the post isn't funny, AND they're not mockingly disagreeing with it? Sometimes I'll scratch my head trying to figure out why they think something's funny. Maybe they hit it on accident. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

Me too. Omg, do you guys ever have Facebook friends use the "haha" for something completely weird? Like, if the post isn't funny, AND they're not mockingly disagreeing with it? Sometimes I'll scratch my head trying to figure out why they think something's funny. Maybe they hit it on accident. 

I usually assume it was by accident. I've hit the wrong emoticon by accident on FB, especially when I'm on my phone.

• Love 1

I missed PTV so much the two days it was down, I may have a problem! 

It is going to take me a while to figure things out and customize my homepage again. I don't think everything I was following carried over.

• Love 4

You can't choose to change the ads as a setting.

If I understand correctly, if your browser isn't big enough to have the ads as a sidebar then they show up inline with text. If your browser window is big though to have a sidebar then ads will be in the sidebar.

But it's not a choice you can make, other than resizing your browser.

From the "tour related questions" help topic:

Ad placement is dictated by screen width, it is not customisable by users. If you prefer seeing ads inside topics vs at the side you can manually reduce your browser width until the ad placement switches.

7 hours ago, Totally said:

I’m not liking the text box moved to one side of the page so that that ads are taking up half the page space, I’m finding it distracting 😢

I think Dave said in the tutorial for the site that it would go back to normal if you turned your ad-blocker off? (I might be making this up in my head,too) It looks almost the same as it did before for me, at least.  Ooo..and we have gif search here now! (the little rocket icon)

hillary clinton GIF

I'm not a person who likes change but so far so good.

Besides PTV, I've also had to adapt to QVC recently changing their on-air price description box (don't know what else to call it). Except that wasn't a big change. It looks like they just updated the style of print but it's still a change. 

Missed all of you & had to go down the Maxwell family hole a few times to keep up my fundy reading. 

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I'm not a person who likes change but so far so good.

Besides PTV, I've also had to adapt to QVC recently changing their on-air price description box (don't know what else to call it). Except that wasn't a big change. It looks like they just updated the style of print but it's still a change. 

Missed all of you & had to go down the Maxwell family hole a few times to keep up my fundy reading. 

The QVC graphics change is driving me batty. The print is so tiny you have to squint to read it.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The QVC graphics change is driving me batty. The print is so tiny you have to squint to read it.

Glad others are having the same problem.  I thought it was just me & my need for new glasses.

• Love 2

So we are celebrating a wedding anniversary soon?! @Celia Rubenstein And her “Kitten?” I remember because my hands are finally healed from all the sewing I did for the modesty panels for the bridesmaids dresses. Can’t wait for the party!

Who is bringing the pickles?

Edited by Westiepeach
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

Speaking of new glasses- I had the second cataract removed Tuesday. It is now almost like sensory overload with how good my vision is. Crystal clear. Vivid colors. I will need readers for very close work. I knew that going in because of the type of correction I needed. I think I want glasses with the reader part on the bottom and clear on top. I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 7 and I don’t like the wind in my eyes. And I don’t like keeping up with readers and the on and off. I already equipped every nook and cranny where I would use them. Still annoying. 

• Love 12

Y'all...serious dating question. So I just started talking to a guy I met online, and he seems fine so far. His pictures online were fine, and I definitely thought he looked attractive. However, we've only been talking one day, and he said, "wanna see something funny?" Then he sent me multiple pictures of him dressed as Santa, which were revolting!!! The suit was open in the front, and he had a belly sticking out. I guess if you already knew him it might be funny, but eeeeeew!!! Seriously, does no one believe in putting their best foot forward anymore?!

It reminds me of that first guy I went out with, who sent me that disgusting picture of him dressed up weird at that nascar race, where he'd grown this fumanchu and looked big as a house. Then, when I met him, he looked pretty good...even better that his good pictures!

But I mean...is this a thing? Never before when i've dated has anyone clamored to send me their worst pictures that border on inappropriate / gross from day one. What good could POSSIBLY come of it?! Does it seem weird to anyone else? And this is NOT about appearances...obviously I like their appearance if I'm talking to them. But if you're a (and I hate the # system) 6 on a regular day, 7 in your best pics, and you send me a picture where you're a 2...whaaaat?!

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Y'all...serious dating question. So I just started talking to a guy I met online, and he seems fine so far. His pictures online were fine, and I definitely thought he looked attractive. However, we've only been talking one day, and he said, "wanna see something funny?" Then he sent me multiple pictures of him dressed as Santa, which were revolting!!! The suit was open in the front, and he had a belly sticking out. I guess if you already knew him it might be funny, but eeeeeew!!! Seriously, does no one believe in putting their best foot forward anymore?!

It reminds me of that first guy I went out with, who sent me that disgusting picture of him dressed up weird at that nascar race, where he'd grown this fumanchu and looked big as a house. Then, when I met him, he looked pretty good...even better that his good pictures!

But I mean...is this a thing? Never before when i've dated has anyone clamored to send me their worst pictures that border on inappropriate / gross from day one. What good could POSSIBLY come of it?! Does it seem weird to anyone else? And this is NOT about appearances...obviously I like their appearance if I'm talking to them. But if you're a (and I hate the # system) 6 on a regular day, 7 in your best pics, and you send me a picture where you're a 2...whaaaat?!

I find it odd to even share pics on day 1 of talking to someone, but I am old school. Why not just talk for a while and share thoughts?

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I find it odd to even share pics on day 1 of talking to someone, but I am old school. Why not just talk for a while and share thoughts?

That's what I was thinking! He literally said, "you wanna see something funny?" and sent me that picture. Maybe they are trying to show their humor? Maybe they're insecure about their looks and want you to see them at their worst, so they can figure you'll be interested in their real look? It's just odd because I have never had anyone do this until recently. Sending them a slightly unflattering pic kind of makes sense, because people tend to put their best on dating sites, but I can't imagine sending someone such a bad  outlier. It reminds me of those (IMO mean spirited) pics of morbidly obese women in bikinis or lingerie that people make memes out of. If you were a morbidly obese woman, you would not send a guy that picture from the beginning! Just...strange. Seems to be the thing these days. 

Edited by Christina87

Update: WOW this guy is controlling! I nipped it in the bud. He insisted on talking on the phone and I said no, and he had a hissy fit. Then he "joked" that he would trick me into talking to him by calling him from his work phone, and accused me of being an old man and catfishing him. And he was really upset that I couldn't go out the day he suggested. Red flags everywhere! His blowup kind of scared me, and showed me he would not respect my boundaries. Onto the next!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Update: WOW this guy is controlling! I nipped it in the bud. He insisted on talking on the phone and I said no, and he had a hissy fit. Then he "joked" that he would trick me into talking to him by calling him from his work phone, and accused me of being an old man and catfishing him. And he was really upset that I couldn't go out the day he suggested. Red flags everywhere! His blowup kind of scared me, and showed me he would not respect my boundaries. Onto the next!

I thought you were giving up the online stuff? Or just took a break?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I thought you were giving up the online stuff? Or just took a break?

I took a short break after that really bad incident where that guy was so mean to me, but sadly, I don't have many ways to meet guys, so I have to use it as at least one tool. I feel like I never go on dates anymore because I see red flags, but I guess it's preferable to being naive and going anyway, like I did in my twenties, only to discover down the line that he's controlling. 

• Love 5

Remember back several weeks when someone here posted a pillow that holds a tablet?  To use while reading bed?  I'm looking on Amazon and I can't quite find the same thing, although there are plenty of other things choose from. I really liked the one posted here.

20 hours ago, louannems said:

Remember back several weeks when someone here posted a pillow that holds a tablet?  To use while reading bed?  I'm looking on Amazon and I can't quite find the same thing, although there are plenty of other things choose from. I really liked the one posted here.

I made the original post.  I have the Lap Pro mini from Amazon, and I love it.  It is listed as "Amazon's Choice".  There is a choice of colors, patterns and sizes.  The mini is perfect for any reader up to the new 9.7 iPad Pro.  Hope this helps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

I made the original post.  I have the Lap Pro mini from Amazon, and I love it.  It is listed as "Amazon's Choice".  There is a choice of colors, patterns and sizes.  The mini is perfect for any reader up to the new 9.7 iPad Pro.  Hope this helps.

Thanks!  Sorry for my bad grammar!  I must have been falling asleep.

4 minutes ago, louannems said:

Thanks!  Sorry for my bad grammar!  I must have been falling asleep.

No problem.  I really like this holder because it is extremely light weight since it is filled with micro beads.  I've been using it with my iPad pro in it's case, and it holds the iPad very securely and easily.  "Look Ma, no hands" 🙂  Mine is sort of teal blue.

• Love 1