Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Because the kid thought it was "hungry." And Jill says that Phillip thinks they're "hungry for the Word." 

They're Catholic, Jill. 🙄

Does Philip know they speak a different language there?

3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m shocked that none of these fundie families go to Eastern Europe/Russia to convert people. Obviously not now but even last year. 

I don't know if they're fundie, but there are quite a few Baptists in Russia, and they're native-born.

Per Wikipedia:

In August 2012 the first large-scale survey and mapping of religions in Russia based on self-identification was published in the Arena Atlas, an extension of the 2010 Census, with data on seventy-nine out of eighty-three of the federal subjects of Russia.[1][2] On a rounded total population of 142,800,000 the survey found that 66,840,000 persons, or 47.4% of the total population, were Christians.[1] Among them, 58,800,000 or 41.1% of the population were believers in the Russian Orthodox Church, 5,900,000 or 4.1% were Christians without any denomination, 2,100,000 or 1.5% were believers in Orthodox Christianitywithout belonging to any church or (a smaller minority) belonging to non-Russian Orthodox churches (including Armenian and Georgian), 400,000 or 0.2% were Orthodox Old Believers, 300,000 or 0.2% were Protestants, and 140,000 (less than 0.1%) were Catholics.[1] Among the non-Christians, 9,400,000 or 6.5% of the population were Muslims (including Sunni Islam, Shia Islam, and a majority of unaffiliated Muslims), 1,700,000 or 1.2% were Pagans (including Rodnovery, Assianism, and other religions) or Tengrists(Turco-Mongol shamanicreligions and new religions), 700,000 or 0.5% were Buddhists (mostly of the Tibetan schools), 140,000 or 0.1% were Hindus (including Krishnaites), and 140,000 were religious Jews.[1]Among the not religiouspopulation, 36,000,000 people or 25% declared to "believe in God (or in a higher power)" but to "not profess any particular religion", 18,600,000 or 13% were atheists, and 7,900,000 or 5.5% did not state any religious, spiritual or atheist belief.[1]

• Useful 3

I’ve been absent for a few weeks due to internet problems—long story.  Right now I am working with a hotspot that I have borrowed from the public library.  It’s really easy to set up and works well with all of my devices—iPhone, iPad, desktop, laptop and Chromebook.  I’ll have it for a two week period and can renew for another two weeks.

Anyway, I hope everyone doesn’t mind if I comment on a few topics :

@ChiCricket:  I enjoyed your post about “decrapifying” your house (great word by the way).  

I am the oldest of 8 (6 boys, 2 girls; 1 brother died in 2004).  My father died in 1983, and my mother suddenly in 1994.oddly, both of them died in the kitchen of our house.  My mother had made no plans—no will or trust.  She did however make sure that the dress she wanted to be buried in was neatly covered in her closet so it wouldn’t get dusty.  She also had the documents from my father’s VA burial where I could have easily found them.

When I got ready to sell our house 8 years later, it was certainly one of the most difficult things in my life.  I had lived there since I was 3 years old—one of my earliest memories is the day we moved in.  With some of my siblings, all they cared about was how much money they would get and how fast. 
I had a large Beanie Baby collection, and kept them for years in a basket in the living room.  I finally decide to part with them.  I brought them to the parish outreach office.  I was very friendly with the director, and I asked her if she could let the children who came to the food bank with their parents to select one to take home.  
I also was able to do that with some lovely new books that I received from First Books.  They are an organization that helps children receive new books of their own.  These books are donated by publishers.  I would go when there was a “free” distribution.

**Some of the other posters mentioned about bad weather, and school closings.  I taught in the NYC schools for over 27 years.  When it came time for me to give my retirement speech, I honestly could count maybe 12 weather related closings in those years, including one for a hurricane in the late 1990’s that was mostly over before school had started. 

@GeeGolly question about belief and God’s answers to prayer makes me think about something one of my brothers said:”God has three answers to prayer:  ‘Yes’, ‘No’, and ‘I’ve got a better idea’.” Sometimes my faith in Him is tested, but so far, it’s still there.  I may not have faith in some of those people who are running His business here on earth, and I find myself questioning their motives, but I try to remember that ultimately God is in charge.

@libgirl2  I loved your post about reading the evil Catholic bible.  The main difference between the evil Catholic versions (there are more than one) is that the Catholic version has seven more books in the Old Testament than the Protestant version—Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), Wisdom,Tobit, 1&2 Maccabees, Judith, Baruch and the letter of Jeremiah. You can look it up on Google for a deeper explanation.

My good Sunday story is being back here with my friends 😊

Sorry this post was so long.

• Love 22
53 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

I had a large Beanie Baby collection, and kept them for years in a basket in the living room.  I finally decide to part with them.  I brought them to the parish outreach office.  I was very friendly with the director, and I asked her if she could let the children who came to the food bank with their parents to select one to take home.  

I think that is a beautiful way to deal with that.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Good news Sunday: I’m still alive. That’s it.

I wish it was warm already so I can go places. I’m so tired of being cold and shivering!

My weather story. Our forced air heater broke last Tuesday and has to be replaced. It will hopefully be replaced this Tuesday. Meanwhile, it has been some of the coldest nights in Southern California (mid-forties). I know, I have absolutely NO reason to complain compared to what the rest of you have dealt with in other parts of the country. So, we are wearing three or more layers and keeping our tiny space heaters near us whichever room we are hanging in. So grateful for those mighty heaters! 
However, today has finally been warmer, and tomorrow, completely normal for Southern Cal, it will be 80 degrees. I am all ready to complain about the heat! I find I have absolutely no tolerance for cold OR heat anymore. I’m such a pain. LOL

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Has anyone else been having problems with their Libby app lately? I have to delete and reinstall it to open it. 

Yes mine has been wanky too. My library here in Florida has just informed me they are migrating to a new platform next month, so I thought that might be the problem. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Yes mine has been wanky too. My library here in Florida has just informed me they are migrating to a new platform next month, so I thought that might be the problem. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I got an email from mine saying that I’ll need a different passcode or something? I need to go re-read. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cavendish loves bags. And Lady Reese loves to CHEW THEM. She chewed on the CAT LITTER bag! (fresh step comes in a carton of 4 10lbs bags)IMG_5412.JPG.thumb.jpeg.6e202165d68ecad443ce427bbe4bc6a5.jpeg. I shared this in the Pet thread but I know there are a lot of feline fans here.

BC11394E-A049-4F75-9D7C-E61AB7AED8D2.jpeg

It always brightens my day to see what these beautiful fur babies are up to.  Thanks!

• Love 6
Just now, Suzn said:

It always brightens my day to see what these beautiful fur babies are up to.  Thanks!

You're so kind. Cosmo has a grooming appointment on the 18th- I will likely get him groomed 2x a year, March and September. He is looking like a werewolf in the feet!

C8DB2679-46D0-44CA-837E-AAE1922D89E7.jpeg

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I got an email from mine saying that I’ll need a different passcode or something? I need to go re-read. 

My email also explained that my account would not include any holds I had, I guess I will have to redo those. Frustrating as some books I’ve been on the list for months and will have to start over.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Has anyone else been having problems with their Libby app lately? I have to delete and reinstall it to open it. 

My only problem with it lately is that none of the books I want are ever available!  It’s a 4-8 week wait for everything on my list. Blah. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, awaken said:

My only problem with it lately is that none of the books I want are ever available!  It’s a 4-8 week wait for everything on my list. Blah. 

I feel weirdly like I’ve achieved something when I’ve maxed out the number of permitted holds. Then I’m pleasantly surprised periodically over the next few months when I get emails telling me it’s my turn to read books I’d forgotten I’d requested. 

I love digital library books so much! (Except for the time I read Jinger and Jeremy’s book. I would have been too embarrassed to pick up a physical copy, and now I’ve read it and can’t un-read it.) 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

Last night my cat, who is definitely not a lap sitter, deposited himself on my knitting project on my lap and just sat for about an hour. I couldn't knit. I couldn't get up. I just waited because he was so happy. I'm desperately trying to finish an afghan for a late March birthday, but now that he's so fond of my project, I may have to go knit in a room with the door closed!

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
(edited)
On 2/21/2022 at 9:12 PM, GeeGolly said:

This woman I know was married to guy involved with the mob. He ended up going to prison for a very serious crime. It was so bad for her kids, she sold the house and moved to a different state. They're not famous, but lived in a smallish town. Folks can be cruel.

I know a woman whose husband was involved in a mass shooting.  He got angry at the neighbors for shooting off fireworks in the driveway on July 4 and shot and killed several people.  She divorced him, changed her and the kids' names to her maiden name and moved out of state.  I don't blame her a bit.  He got life without parole and I suspect has no contact with his kids who were preschool/elementary age when it occurred.  They would be late teens/early 20's now.  This happened in a large city, BTW, but, of course, was big news.  

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Thanks so much @Turquoise! I’m a little nervous but ready. Best wished to you for your surgery. Is yours Friday?

Yes. Have to be there a 5am (yikes!), so we got a hotel tomorrow night close to the surgery center. Will be glad to have it over with and start healing.

• Love 11

Dropping in to say that 6 weeks after my initial screening mammogram, I was finally able to get in for the re-screening, and all was ok.  Wish I could have gotten the news sooner, but due to scheduling and location issues it was a long wait!  Gearing up for next year, now!  I sure am glad this technology exists and suspicious areas can be detected and investigated!  

• Love 22
23 minutes ago, awaken said:

Dropping in to say that 6 weeks after my initial screening mammogram, I was finally able to get in for the re-screening, and all was ok.  Wish I could have gotten the news sooner, but due to scheduling and location issues it was a long wait!  Gearing up for next year, now!  I sure am glad this technology exists and suspicious areas can be detected and investigated!  

Glad you're in the clear! I can't believe it took 6 weeks though. The hospital called me even before I got my letter, inside of 3 days, to schedule my follow up mammogram. I was seen less than a week after that. It was still agonizing. I can't imagine waiting 6 weeks!

• Love 6
(edited)

I go every year and I get  an ABUS; Automated Breast Ultrasound System. I have very dense breasts and this is what is recommended. 

I have had biopsies done and after those, it's a 6 month visit. 

Edited by realityfan26
  • Love 4

@Turquoise & @Ijustwantsomechips-best wishes to both of you.  Speedy recovery!

I somehow managed to get my POTS eval with a cardiologist tomorrow morning.  I'm expecting this to be a chatting/get to know you type appointment more than anything.  I don't think I'll be having any tests, save for maybe an EKG and/or blood work.  Mr. Six is going with me and then working from home the rest of the day.  I've already told him he's going to hear some surprises tomorrow.  Even though I tell him a lot, I don't tell him everything that goes on with me with a day-to-day basis.  I am nervous and downright scared about the actual test itself, but I have to cross that bridge when I get to it.  At least I can come home tomorrow, put on some comfy clothes and enjoy kitty snuggles X4.

• Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

How often do you all go for mammograms? I'm embarrassed to say I don't go often enough.

Annually also. But I skipped 2020 because of Covid.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

How often do you all go for mammograms? I'm embarrassed to say I don't go often enough.

Every year. I get the scrip at my annual physical. I’m paranoid about breast cancer, having lost a few friends much too young from it. So reassuring to have things scanned!

• Love 6

I once had a very bad mammogram experience. So bad that I went 5 years without one. Yes I understand the risks of that, but couldn’t conquer my fear. My last one was 4 years ago and again it was an unpleasant experience. Now I have had “normal” ones where they didn’t leave my beast badly bruised or berate me for my fear. I need one, but getting me to comply isn’t going to be easy. I applaud all of you who do. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have always gone once a year.  One year it caught breast cancer.  I still go once a year. The breast with the lumpectomy and radiation is painful but it is worth the few minutes of "misery" to me.  I don't love it but I do it.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I once had a very bad mammogram experience. So bad that I went 5 years without one. Yes I understand the risks of that, but couldn’t conquer my fear. My last one was 4 years ago and again it was an unpleasant experience. Now I have had “normal” ones where they didn’t leave my beast badly bruised or berate me for my fear. I need one, but getting me to comply isn’t going to be easy. I applaud all of you who do. 

That’s me with the dentist. Unless I’m pain I don’t go.

• Love 3

@Turquoise and @Ijustwantsomechips -I'm late to the party as to posting but also send you good wishes for your procedures and recoveries.

@Mindthinkr - I was appalled and upset to read that you were berated for your fears when having a mammogram. OMG, that behavior toward a patient should NEVER happen in any health care facility. Dang. I suppose I've been very lucky that I've never experienced anything but courtesy and kindness when having mammograms at my HMO. 

• Love 14
(edited)

On my way to the hospital. I’m hungry as a hostage, but other than that I’m feeling good. Of course, that could be the Neurontin I just took. 

I’ll check in as soon as I’m coherent.

ETA: Thanks Jeeves.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 19
11 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@Turquoise and @Ijustwantsomechips

@Mindthinkr - I was appalled and upset to read that you were berated for your fears when having a mammogram. OMG, that behavior toward a patient should NEVER happen in any health care facility. Dang. I suppose I've been very lucky that I've never experienced anything but courtesy and kindness when having mammograms at my HMO. 

THIS! The tech(s) should have been reported. 

• Love 11