Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Here we are in metro Atlanta with enough heavy wet snow to make driving hazardous. I went out this am to drizzle which changed to snow - the cold wet heavy kind and I didn't know if I would make it up the hill to my house. Hunkering down now. 

Stay safe and warm.  It took me 3.5 hours to get home today because like in 2014 EVERYONE left at the same time.  The only difference was that the roads weren't as icy as they were in 2014.  My big thing was rather than getting on 85 North, I took Buford Highway.  Wrong decision - too many buses.  I looked out a little while ago and I don't even see my steps when I came in because of the new snow.   

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

Stay safe and warm.  It took me 3.5 hours to get home today because like in 2014 EVERYONE left at the same time.  The only difference was that the roads weren't as icy as they were in 2014.  My big thing was rather than getting on 85 North, I took Buford Highway.  Wrong decision - too many buses.  I looked out a little while ago and I don't even see my steps when I came in because of the new snow.   

It is still snowing over here in south Cobb. The subdivision streets aren't drivewble because of the hills. I am hoping we don't lose power!!  Son lives near 85 and Buford Highway. They didn't get as much snow as we did.  Hoping for some melting tomorrow daytime. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Did y'all stock up on bread and milk so you don't starve? ;-)

I just blew off the warnings, figuring it would not do anything so I did not stock up last night. My daughter and I walked to the Piggly Wiggly that’s close to us because I was out of cold medicine-and she had to have milk. She’s almost 18 but is like a big baby when it comes to drinking milk. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Don't forget Mama's juice! ?

Minimal snow here in Minneapolis area. Just cold. So glad to see Friday I could cry. 4th quarter is kicking my butt and I took it out on DH. Said some things in anger that needed to be addressed but should have waited for a different time. Need to apologize, but want to run away and join the circus in general.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

So glad to see Friday I could cry. 4th quarter is kicking my butt and I took it out on DH. Said some things in anger that needed to be addressed but should have waited for a different time. Need to apologize, but want to run away and join the circus in general.

I think we’ve all been there, done that. You’ll feel better once you apologize.....I always do. ?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Catfin said:

Don't forget Mama's juice! ?

Minimal snow here in Minneapolis area. Just cold. So glad to see Friday I could cry. 4th quarter is kicking my butt and I took it out on DH. Said some things in anger that needed to be addressed but should have waited for a different time. Need to apologize, but want to run away and join the circus in general.

Was not a fan of the snow over ice the other morning. Boo !

• Love 3

Was supposed to start a couple of hours ago here, and so far we are just seeing random flakes. I haven't looked at the updated forecast yet though...Still having my coffee. It's only supposed to add up to about 6" tops, though, so I'm not sweating it in general.

Updated forecast seems to indicate that it will just be snow showers until about noon, heavier in the afternoon/evening, and tapering off by about 3:00 am (yesterday they had it still snowing well into Sunday morning), so probably less than expected overall. Boo. Maybe they'll change their minds again, like with the one storm last year which we were supposed to get 2-3" out of and ended up with about 14".

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
update
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Nope, I need to go to the grocery store to do my normal shopping, but I figure it won't hang around that long. Maybe I can get out this afternoon.   A few years ago we had snow in the forecast and honestly, I needed toilet paper and milk.  I felt like "one of those people"  LOL.  

• Love 3

Our power went out a couple hours during the night, came back on and just went out again. It is still snowing here. We don't get bread or milk either. It will probably melt off later so we can get out. If power still out will go to son's about 20 miles east of us. 

Edited by lookeyloo
Spelling
  • Love 1

Hang in there my my friends! I lived in Atlanta for 9 years and experienced the 2000 unexpected ice storm that knocked out power for two days lol.  I also grew up in the North East and did tons of shoveling before we finally got a snowblower. I’m now in NV where it does get chilly but everyone gets excited about snow and rain. Go figure!  I hope everyone is safe and is able to travel safely and get the supplies that they need!

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Getting a nice gentle snow here. Grandson scored the first basket of the game (he's 8 so it was exciting, lol).

Congratulations to your grandson from a former basketball mom!

• Love 2

Reporting in from south  of Baltimore.  Still snowing here but it's not on roads & barely on lawns so people are definitely able to get around. Our large evergreen trees in backyard are beautiful - I always say it looks like a Christmas card or something my dad would have drawn.

Like other cities I'm sure,  our weather people are idiots when reporting on snow especially the first snow.  Or they think we are the idiots & have never seen or dealt with  snow before.  When they get their rulers out to show us how deep it is, I lose it.  They have been reporting on this upcoming snow since at least beginning of week like a blizzard was coming.  Our snowless years really drive them nuts.

• Love 2

Last snowfall in Houston was 7 years ago and was about 1/4”, so this 1 to 2”was a BFD. It was a pity that it fell in the wee hours when most of us were sleeping so we didn’t get to see it. Before bedtime, west suburbs were getting big, fat snowflakes. 

Hugs to everyone affected by the wildfires.  I can’t imagine anything more terrifying than perhaps a volcanic eruption.  Even though Harvey flooded many homes here, the existing structure was still there.  With a fire, nothing is left behind. So sad. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

We’ve had gentle but steady snow since around 9:30am in the greater Boston area. About 4-5 inches so far and expected to wind down tomorrow morning. Perfect day to put up the Xmas tree!

Jealous! We've had flurries here since noon-ish, but I doubt there's more than 2" on the ground...expected to wind down to minor flurries in a couple of hours and be over by 3:00 am. We always seem to get pretty much the least snow in the state, except for some of the coastal areas which always seem to get mostly rain. And I do love me a good snowstorm!

• Love 1

Snow and cold...just another winter day in the Midwest.  I would enjoy a white Christmas because all the lighted decorations look so pretty reflecting in it.  I have two nuclear blue snowflakes on my front porch and will start lighting them up in the next couple of days.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Volcanos are scary and son in Puyallup lives sort of in path of Mt. Rainier.  There are volcano evacuation route signs all over.  But, sadly, the locals say once it erupts it would be too late to evacuate. Don't know how true that is.  And Seattle seems to be a target of North Korea.  

http://geology.com/usgs/rainier/

I’ve seen more than one documentary that says there wouldn’t be enough time to escape. The snow melt alone would almost instantaneously trigger a lahar that no one could escape from with little or no warning.  Mt Ranier is VERY steep so the mud flows would travel fast while cars just sat on the escape routes.  It’s a matter of simple physics and thermodynamics, and it’s not pretty. Nature can be a brutal force.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Volcanos are scary and son in Puyallup lives sort of in path of Mt. Rainier.  There are volcano evacuation route signs all over.  But, sadly, the locals say once it erupts it would be too late to evacuate. Don't know how true that is.  And Seattle seems to be a target of North Korea.  

http://geology.com/usgs/rainier/

Born, raised, and current resident in the Seattle area and a geologist. When Rainier erupts, Seattle and Tacoma will likely be wiped off the map. But if it shows the same signs that Helens did before it erupted, we may be able to relocate before it erupts.

A nuclear sub base is across the Puget Sound from Seattle, which is one of the reasons we are a target.

• Love 5

I'm putting up Santa photos of my 2nd and 3rd kids.  I'm sad every year that I don't have Santa photos of my oldest, who is much older than the other two.  When he was a baby, I became a Seventh Day Adventist in a rural church that didn't do Santa.

Later, we moved to a city where Santa pictures were not seen as evil.

• Love 2

It has been cold where we live because of an air inversion sitting over the valley. People are using their wood stoves and starting up their vehicles more to warm up and defrost causing the air to get polluted and causing the cold air to settle in. Does not help people with certain medical conditions at all. My sinuses, chest tightness and pain, and asthma type symptoms have been acting up due to the cold and bad air. We also had a minor earthquake Thursday west of Helena. I did not feel it at all, but I know people are still a little nervous after the one we had in early July. I think the bears have the right away about hibernating all winter. If I could do it, I would.

On 12/9/2017 at 11:55 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Last snowfall in Houston was 7 years ago and was about 1/4”, so this 1 to 2”was a BFD. It was a pity that it fell in the wee hours when most of us were sleeping so we didn’t get to see it. Before bedtime, west suburbs were getting big, fat snowflakes. 

Hugs to everyone affected by the wildfires.  I can’t imagine anything more terrifying than perhaps a volcanic eruption.  Even though Harvey flooded many homes here, the existing structure was still there.  With a fire, nothing is left behind. So sad. 

Thanks!  So far I am right under an evacuation area but I am packed and ready to go.  It sucks having to work but my husband has been taking me so if we have to evacuate he can get the cats quickly.  

On 12/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, zoomama said:

checking in from smokey southern cali.   all is well in my town but was sad to hear the big fire is moving ever closer to santa barbara.  

YES IT IS!  So far it is staying pretty much at the ridge and hasn't come down the foothills.  I would hate to lose everything but as long as I have my kitties and my husband I am good.

• Love 8

natalie68, my thoughts are with you.  i will be watching the updates. you may recall ( i think i shared here) that we were evacuated in September for a fire that literally came down to the backyard fences of the houses across the street. we suffered no damage, but leaving on short notice like that was daunting.  i hope never to experience that again.  leave early if you need to so you have time to grab all that is important to you without relative panic. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, zoomama said:

natalie68, my thoughts are with you.  i will be watching the updates. you may recall ( i think i shared here) that we were evacuated in September for a fire that literally came down to the backyard fences of the houses across the street. we suffered no damage, but leaving on short notice like that was daunting.  i hope never to experience that again.  leave early if you need to so you have time to grab all that is important to you without relative panic. 

Thank you!  Scary stuff.  I am glad you didn't lose your home.  I haven't had once come that close to me but my sister did.  Her house was the only one on her street to not burn.   It is absolutely scary.  We had to evacuate in 09 and it was scary. We didn't lose anything luckily.  I have put all the stuff together I need and should only take moments to get out.  If it moves over night I am bringing stuff to my office just in case.  What is really scary??  The freaking emergency notices that come through the phone.  I know they are helpful and glad they are there but geez, the sound is awful.

Just now, Sew Sumi said:

@Natalie68 STAY SAFE! All the FF hugs to you, Mr. Natalie, and the fur babies. 

THANK YOU!!!

• Love 7

@Natalie68, OMG, so sad to hear of all of your distress. I’d be losing my shit worrying if I were in your shoes. Thoughts and hugs and prayers for you, Mr Natalie, your furries, and all others dealing with this.

I keep after Mr E that we need to have each other, our most important stuff, and the kitties all in reach and be able to get out in minutes if we would ever have such an emergency.  It’s a good safety lesson for us all to keep in mind. We are all one blown circuit, lightning strike, careless camper or neighbor away from having to flee our homes due to a fire.

• Love 2

On a lighter note, my cat is so happy to see the Christmas tree up. She sits under it, climbs it, chews it and just keeps an eye on it in general. Every night she sits under it and sings the song of her people. I adore her. 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

A scary thing happened to me today a suspicious thing was found on the light rail    Near my work and my office was evacuated I only work two hours today

that IS scary!!!  the world has lost its mind.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Catfin said:

On a lighter note, my cat is so happy to see the Christmas tree up. She sits under it, climbs it, chews it and just keeps an eye on it in general. Every night she sits under it and sings the song of her people. I adore her. 

I bought a Christmas tree skirt last year. I got tired of replacing them thanks to cats pooping on them. With my malicious pooper (who I adored otherwise) on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge and losing my sweet old girl in September, the only cat with run of the house is our old tuxedo, I might put the skirt around the tree this year. Ornaments that aren’t durable are out of reach.

How pretty for you to hear her sing the songs of her people! I never heard that described before like that.  Love it!!!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Catfin said:

My old girl (21!) is feeling good these days. She is chewing on the (artificial) tree and putting her favorite mice under it. Once I get the tree skirt on later today she will be sure to throw up bits of tree on it at least once a day. It’s a Christmas tradition. 

Well wishes to all of you in California dealing with the fires.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 6

Good news we are getting some snow to clean out the bad air and get some much needed moisture. Bad news is the snow is making roads icy, and there was a terrible accident on the interstate between Helena and East Helena. Sadly someone died due to the accident.

I do not have a Christmas tree due to space and Sassy. I know as soon as the tree goes up she will be attacking it. I would be hearing *jump* *thud* *crash* *thud* *thud* and the sound of a fifteen pound cat running and trying to find a good hiding spot. *lol*

Edited by bigskygirl
On 12/13/2017 at 11:09 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

I bought a Christmas tree skirt last year. I got tired of replacing them thanks to cats pooping on them. With my malicious pooper (who I adored otherwise) on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge and losing my sweet old girl in September, the only cat with run of the house is our old tuxedo, I might put the skirt around the tree this year. Ornaments that aren’t durable are out of reach.

My nearly 18 year-old kitty was a malicious pooper until recently. With my dad's health issues, my husband and I have had to take six out of town trips this year and Hillary decided to express her displeasure by pooping in random places. I've been home for a couple of months now without leaving and she is finally calming down and not leaving "presents" anymore.

My younger kitties are almost two and almost three. The older of the two was a terrorist to the tree the first time she coexisted with it. I took it down on boxing day because I was so tired of chasing her out of it. This year, though they will obsess about a different ornament daily, they are much more civilized. Strategic decorating helps, too. Nothing breakable or heavy goes within reach.

• Love 2

I call the malicious turding, Grizzlets.  Mr E came up with it after I nicknamed our Tortie terror Tabitha Grizzabella.  We thought she was showing her contempt for us until we realized it was the tux who was the target of her ire. There were always 3, which we called the Turdy Trinity. 

They were often artfully arranged and stunk to high heaven, that terrible trifecta of hers.  You’d be sitting there relaxing, and this malicious miasma would assault your nose.  My brother said the arrangements were like a voodoo priestess throwing bones.  I wonder what TLCs resident voodoo priestess Mambo Gladys would have to say about that.

26 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Hillary decided to express her displeasure by pooping in random places. I've been home for a couple of months now without leaving and she is finally calming down and not leaving "presents" anymore.

So she marched her nasty little paws feet to the ballot litter box? Just a play on a quote for the sake of humor.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I call the malicious turding, Grizzlets.  Mr E came up with it after I nicknamed our Tortie terror Tabitha Grizzabella.  We thought she was showing her contempt for us until we realized it was the tux who was the target of her ire. There were always 3, which we called the Turdy Trinity. 

They were often artfully arranged and stunk to high heaven, that terrible trifecta of hers.  You’d be sitting there relaxing, and this malicious miasma would assault your nose.  My brother said the arrangements were like a voodoo priestess throwing bones.  I wonder what TLCs resident voodoo priestess Mambo Gladys would have to say about that.

So she marched her nasty little paws feet to the ballot litter box? Just a play on a quote for the sake of humor.

Such tiny, tidy tidbits of alliteration there! 

• Love 3