Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Anymore, I see them everywhere, including at carry-out places.  Went to the county fair a few weeks back and several of the vendors selling cotton candy and hot dogs on a stick had tip jars, too.

13 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

As a result of my own work history, I am a frequent tipper. I tip for carry out. But I went to Panera yesterday and there was an option to tip the gal taking my order when I ran my card, and I passed. I agree, it's weird. 

I would hope that it's shared by all employees because they do bring your order to the table now. I'm going to ask next time I go.

On a personal note, my granddaughter worked in the local bakery weekends and summers for 2 yrs before going to college. They had a tip jar. The first weekend she made over $30. in tips. Weekends were so busy that there were at least 2 other girls behind the counter as well so you can imagine what they were racking in. I told her I had never tipped someone for putting buns in a bag or a cake into a box. She thought I was hysterical. It was nice for her since she bought lots of her college essentials with that money, but to me, totally unnecessary ( especially since their small layer cakes were $16 without the tip)

• Love 1

UGH!!! My husband has decided he wants to go with cell phones instead of our regular land line telephone. I hate cell phones! Now I have to call a group of places to let them know my number has changed. Goody! I told him he is going have to be the one who calls certain places to let them know our number has changed because I refuse to do so. I am now trying to figure out how to call the United States District Court to let them know my number has changed again in case I might be called for jury duty in the next two years. I know I sound cranky, but I think cell phones are a nuisance. I admit I do not know how to call 911 on one. When I can afford it, I might look into getting a regular land line phone with an unlisted number in my name and put it in the back bedroom. I guess I do not want to get with the modern times when it comes to cell phones. Now you kids get off my lawn. *shaking my cane at you meddling kids and dog*

My husband wants to get rid of our land line too. I'm also not a big fan of cell phones. All I can think of is that I'd have to carry it around all day! What if I have an outfit with no pockets?! Do I carry it in my hand all day? Most of the time, my phone is in the bottom of my purse and I don't hear it ring. Seems like way too much trouble to me. 

• Love 2

I can't imagine my life now without a cell phone (and I'm old.) But "they say" you should also have a land line in case of emergency if the cell phone towers should fail. That is confusing to me, however, as it seems the cell phones were the only connections to the outside world many people had in the two recent hurricanes.

• Love 2

I am old too and love my iPhone. When we moved we gave up our real landline. It was a really and truly land line which believe me was hard to cancel. The company kept thinking we had a "Home phone" with the battery backup like a Vonage but their brand. Home phone and true landline are different and landlines becoming harder to get. I called 911 on my cell when Mr lookeyloo had his stroke and there were no issues. You call it the same way. Dial 911.  It is much more convenient than a home phone/landline. We rarely miss a call. Never have to stay home if we are waiting for a doctor to call back. And can turn off ringer if we don't want to be disturbed. Best invention almost ever. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I called 911 on my cell when Mr lookeyloo had his stroke and there were no issues. You call it the same way. Dial 911.

Tip for calling 911 from a cell phone: always add in your location early into the call. Reason being is that because your cell phone isn't tied to a specific location like a landline would be, it helps the dispatcher send help quickly anyway if the call drops for any reason.

They can figure out a general location based on what cell towers your call bounced off of, but that takes time you might not have and doesn't even get them an exact location. Easier to say that you're at 123 Main street when describing your emergency than make them do some detective work to get to you if you can't stay on the line for some reason.

• Love 5

It is going to be a hard week. My poor 14 year old sweet kitty fur baby  Tia is not doing well at all. She is sleeping a lot, drinking her water, but she is having a hard time trying to use the cat box and trying to eat. We probably will be making an appointment to have her euthanized because the poor little darling is suffering, and we do not want to prolong any discomfort and pain she is going though. She has been with us for 14 years, and she is one of the sweetest fur babies I know. I am going miss her.

16 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

It is going to be a hard week. My poor 14 year old sweet kitty fur baby  Tia is not doing well at all. She is sleeping a lot, drinking her water, but she is having a hard time trying to use the cat box and trying to eat. We probably will be making an appointment to have her euthanized because the poor little darling is suffering, and we do not want to prolong any discomfort and pain she is going though. She has been with us for 14 years, and she is one of the sweetest fur babies I know. I am going miss her.

So sad to hear this. We have been down that road numerous times and it is heartbreaking. Sending from hugs your way. 

• Love 3
On 9/17/2017 at 0:24 PM, bigskygirl said:

UGH!!! My husband has decided he wants to go with cell phones instead of our regular land line telephone. I hate cell phones! Now I have to call a group of places to let them know my number has changed. Goody! I told him he is going have to be the one who calls certain places to let them know our number has changed because I refuse to do so. I am now trying to figure out how to call the United States District Court to let them know my number has changed again in case I might be called for jury duty in the next two years. I know I sound cranky, but I think cell phones are a nuisance. I admit I do not know how to call 911 on one. When I can afford it, I might look into getting a regular land line phone with an unlisted number in my name and put it in the back bedroom. I guess I do not want to get with the modern times when it comes to cell phones. Now you kids get off my lawn. *shaking my cane at you meddling kids and dog*

See if you can keep your landline number! Often, you can. 

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I am so sorry! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

So sorry...it's always so difficult to have to make those decisions eve when you know it's he right thing to do...

• Love 1
On 9/17/2017 at 7:06 AM, momofsquid said:

I have a tip jar in my laundry room. My daughters don't always clean out their pockets before dumping their clothes in the wash. After years of trying to track down the owner of money found in the washer, I labelled an old detergent scoop TIPS and announced that everything I find goes into my my vacation fund. It was piling up fast for a while but has slowed down since my youngest went away to school. After she left I cleaned out her room and made a killing off loose change on her bedroom floor. 

i do too!! (have the tip jar.)   once in a while i get dollar bills in the laundry!

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 1

Three weeks ago, we aquired a cute 2 yr old poodle-bichon dog. She's adorable and her name is Zoe.  I keep finding myself calling her in a voice that I've never used before.  Zoooeeeeeee!  Zoooeeeeeeeeeee!  Hiiiiiyyyyyy!  Zooooooeeeeeee!

It finally dawned on me that I am mimicking JillRod who calls her baby "Hiiiiiyyyyyy !!!! Soooopheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaa!!!!!

I am talking to my doggie just like JillRod talks to Sophia!

I've obviously watched way to many JillRod videos!  I promise not to put my dog in a box with the lid on; nor will I tease and blow dry and gel and spray my dog's hair into a 1980's frazzled mess.

• Love 11

We said goodbye to Tia this afternoon. I know she is in a better place with no pain and discomfort, but I miss her. It is so weird to look at the water dish and not see her sitting there giving me looks to change her water, seeing her sleeping on the bed, or hearing her loud purring across the room. She is with our cats who have past on, so we know she has friends to be with it, but it still hurts. R.I.P. sweet girl

29 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

bigskygirl, I'm sorry for the loss of your fur baby. Even when it's the right thing to do, letting go is never easy.

No it's not. I've had to do it nearly 10 times for meezers and once for a dog.  I can tell you it never gets any easier. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

We said goodbye to Tia this afternoon. I know she is in a better place with no pain and discomfort, but I miss her. It is so weird to look at the water dish and not see her sitting there giving me looks to change her water, seeing her sleeping on the bed, or hearing her loud purring across the room. She is with our cats who have past on, so we know she has friends to be with it, but it still hurts. R.I.P. sweet girl

I am very sorry, bigskygirl. I know how much this hurts. May your dear memories comfort you. 

• Love 3

I have a 16 year old (Mitzi) at home. She is spry as ever, still "hunting" toys almost every night. Losing her will be especially hard. We also have a middle aged girl, Boo, who I want to get acclimated to another fur baby before we lose sweet Mitz. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

I want to tell you a funny story about me and the cell phone I am only 34 years old and I was talking To my best friend on my cell phone I was tearing up the house looking for my cell phone because I thought I lost it?

Kinda like when I've lost my glasses on my face. :)

• Love 5
On 9/16/2017 at 11:09 PM, Marshmallow Mollie said:

As a result of my own work history, I am a frequent tipper. I tip for carry out. But I went to Panera yesterday and there was an option to tip the gal taking my order when I ran my card, and I passed. I agree, it's weird. 

Went to Panera for lunch today. Happy to report there was no tip jar anywhere in sight. This was in northern N.J. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Kinda like when I've lost my glasses on my face. :)

Hey!  Here is the recipe for crispy choc chip cookies:

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 tsp cream of tartar
41/2 cup flour
2 cups chips
1 cup nuts

Make sure all is room temp.

Mix 1st 6 ingredients.  Add baking powder, cream of tartar, salt

Add flour and mix. Add chips and nuts.

Drop rounded tsp onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 min or till light brown.

my personal notes:  I cook at a lower temp but for longer.  I have used various chips including M&M's and they are great.  I have also subbed cocoa powder for some of the flour for a chocolate cookie base.  This makes a ton of cookies!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Hey!  Here is the recipe for crispy choc chip cookies:

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 tsp cream of tartar
41/2 cup flour
2 cups chips
1 cup nuts

Make sure all is room temp.

Mix 1st 6 ingredients.  Add baking powder, cream of tartar, salt

Add flour and mix. Add chips and nuts.

Drop rounded tsp onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 min or till light brown.

my personal notes:  I cook at a lower temp but for longer.  I have used various chips including M&M's and they are great.  I have also subbed cocoa powder for some of the flour for a chocolate cookie base.  This makes a ton of cookies!

My weekend project!  Thanks?

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, bigskygirl said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.  We had to say goodbye to one of our fur babies last year.  I still miss her & get a little misty eyed when I think of her.

• Love 5

Just want to share that there is still some good  left in this world.  

We took our son's car to our local mechanic for some routine maintenance & also to check out a hole in the muffler/exhaust. They weren't able to fix the muffler, they don't do welding so they recommended a muffler shop.  My son works long hours & a distance away so making arrangements to fix hole was going to be another pain. (It took weeks coordinating this repair.)  I had to call mechanic back & he said he had a surprise for me - they are taking the car to the muffler shop this morning to have hole repaired.  He said it would only take 10 minutes to fix & since they are waiting for another part,  it wouldn't be any trouble for them. I was so surprised -  I think I thanked him a million times.

What customer service. They are just small town honest mechanics. They never fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. We've been going there for years, along with the rest of the community & they know everyone by name & car.  

I wonder if the Duggar Garage ( is there such a thing?)  treats their customers this way.  

• Love 22

We take our vehicles in to a locally owned shop in East Helena. They do great work and always so nice and friendly.

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. It is still hard without Tia here with us. Sassy seems to be doing okay. She is sad too, and she tries to comfort us. Sassy is our silly and adorable goofy fur baby.

This afternoon I will be going on a tour of the local detention center. They have been trying to pass a levy to get a newer center because the one we have now is overcrowded and needs updating to the point it is not safe for inmates and the staff and the county. The funny thing was when I called to set up a tour the sheriff department administrative assistant recognized my name because I post on the sheriff department's facebook page. I do not know if this is good or bad. *lol* I think they do appreciate all the support they can get. I will be voting yes for the levy again, but I thought it would be interesting to see the jail and meet some of the staff. If you do not hear from me after 1:30 p.m., you can always send me a cake with a file in it in case I get locked up. Just joking...

So sorry to hear about Tia @bigskygirl. Pet guardianship is so rewarding but it has the bitter thorn of loss, too. *Hugs*

It's funny you should mention the detention center being unsafe. We're trying to get a new high school built in my city and will need to pass an override (I think). I learned recently the school does not have fire suppression system or sprinklers. Isn't that awesome? So safe for students and staff. I knew that the pipes to the heating system were under the concrete because that was smart building design. It turns out that it would cost just as much to renovate as it would to build new but at least with building new, the state kicks in half, so it would actually cost less to build new. And people are still saying nothing needs to be done, just have the kids paint the walls and stuff. WTF? All of this to say that I would vote for the levy. Buildings do not last forever and it is our responsibility to take care of them and sometimes that includes building new.

What a great story, @Barb23!

• Love 6

Hi @frenchtoast Yes being a pet owner is rewarding, but it is so tough saying goodbye. We might get a kitten sometime next spring. I told my husband I want at least one four legged family member with us. Sassy will chase a cat out of the yard, but she will be friendly, or should I say try to be playful and friendly with a cat outside of our yard. The silly girl! She is big girl (15+ pounds) so I would be a little nervous bringing in a kitten and seeing if Sassy would scare the poor thing. I guess we will wait and see next spring. Of course, no kitten could ever replace Tia.

East Helena is looking at building a new high school. I remembered people talking about building a high school when I went though K-8 grades in East Helena. I wished they did have a high school back then because I hated going to high school in Helena. Going from a small school district to a school with over 1000 kids was not fun.

Edited by bigskygirl

When I moved in with my son and grands, I inherited the dog and cat. The dog, a dachshund chihuahua mix was a foster, is epileptic and has one eye. She takes Phenobarb. to control her seizures, but is very intelligent, The cat is fat, and eats and sleeps. Both are old, in their teens. My grands are now both in college, and I dread the day we will have to tell them that one or both has passed. They are so attached to these little creatures. ( I am as well). Sorry for your loss @bigskygirl, I've been through it a few times with my wonderful golden and beautiful husky and still miss them.

My other son and DIL have 2 rag doll cats. They are beautiful, big and furry. Great personalities. My son taught the one to bark (sort of) when he wants food. When you pick them up they go limp, that's why they're called rag dolls.

RE: the new high school, about 7 yrs, ago, my old hometown built a new high school. At the time the town only had 15k people but a lot of young families., so the vote passed. The cost was a whopping 79million.  Our taxes increased quite a bit. But this good old N.J. with the highest taxes in the nation.

• Love 2

I will not complain about my former job working in a group home for the developmental disabled and being sent to work at other group homes because they were understaffed after learning the detention center only has three staff members on each shift for 90 plus inmates.

bigskygirl, I'm a little late (was on vacation this week) but I wanted to say how sorry I was to read you had to let your fur baby go. My sweet pup has been gone for about 6 weeks now and it's still hard. I did start looking this week at rescue dogs, so we'll see.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

bigskygirl, I'm a little late (was on vacation this week) but I wanted to say how sorry I was to read you had to let your fur baby go. My sweet pup has been gone for about 6 weeks now and it's still hard. I did start looking this week at rescue dogs, so we'll see.

{{{HUGS}}} @emma675  The hubby and I have talked about getting another pet, but we probably will wait until next spring. I am just grateful Sassy is doing well. I know she misses Tia and is sad like we are.

Edited by bigskygirl
14 minutes ago, lianau said:

3 Kardashians are pregnant/expecting via surrogacy at the same time . Your move Duggars.

Let's see, we've got Joy, Kendra will be knocked up before Halloween, and I'm expecting an announcement from Jessa any day now. 

• Love 3

Just read an article about crazy old Jim Bakker. He's still selling the food buckets, and preparing for the end of the world. Apparently he's ramping up the Apocalypse talk. Trying to save people from Cannibalism and their "useless money".  (Obviously money will be useless during the Apocalypse.)  He does seem to be targeting people with some cash.  One of the other hosts of his infomercial claims the buckets will be miraculously refilled if you run out. It's quite the scam.

Edited by Temperance
I meant no offense to people of the Caribbean, and their current status. Obviously emergency supplies can be good in case of disaster and there are real disasters.
  • Love 3

I know there are other people on these forums who are either married to a Puerto Rican (like me) or are Puerto Rican themselves.

I just wanted to share some information that is really helping my husband and me manage the stress of not being able to reach his family (at all.)

My suggestion is to download the Zello walkie talkie app.  Then sign up and search for this channel:

Huracan Maria (that's hurricane Maria in Spanish)

& then add the village you're looking for information about.

So, in our case, we typed in: Huracan Maria Lares

(Type the village you're interested in, in place of "Lares")

Be patient, sometimes it's silent, and then all of sudden someone will talk.

Hope this helps someone else!

• Love 19