Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Queer Eyes, Full Hearts

Haley and Andy are spending a lot of time together, but Phil and Claire find things are not what they appear. Gloria pushes Manny to learn Spanish, and hires a very handsome tutor. Mitch and Cam meet a popular news reporter at a school function and one of them piques her journalistic interest.

How on earth did Haley get a job with a major fashion designer having little to no experience? The show seemed to have way too many storylines tonight, none of them being entertaining or funny.

Not a fan of the Andy character at all.

Caught the Fizbo episode from the first season yesterday. Maybe I'm being too tough, but it's truly sad to see how far the show has fallen from the first season.

• Love 3

When did Andy get back together with Beth? Last thing I remembered, Beth dumped him and he kissed Haley.

I cracked up when Alex lost it when studying and Phil announced that he was right and that Claire was wrong.

It was sweet that Jay decided to learn Spanish. 

Mitchell with the doll and Lily was very funny. Cam was being a bit thoughtless, but I thought it was understandable. The media coverage was a big deal.

• Love 2

I laughed out loud several times too, though the only punchline I can remember at the moment was Phil's assisted suicide line. Still missed the three families interacting with one another, though I can't say I missed Luke or even noticed until afterwards that he didn't appear at all.

There's been lots of talk about how much Ed O'Neill has aged over the course of the show, but what was up with Ty Burrell tonight? His face looked like a corpse.

I thought the episode was pretty funny, especially the Dunphey storyline. This was the most I've enjoyed Haley in a while, she was actually funny and not annoying. Her breakdown in the car and the line about her wide eyes were pretty amusing.

I still do wish the families would go back to interacting more instead of everyone staying in their own little immediate family bubble.

• Love 2

How does Manny not know any Spanish, at all? 

There's been no continuity on how long Gloria and Manny have lived in the US. But there have been so many references to Manny going to school in Colombia that it's ridiculous to think he wouldn't speak any Spanish.

That was my only complaint about the episode, though. I loved that they addressed Cameron's self-absorption. And I loved the look on Jay's face when it looked like Gloria was talking about shooting him.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

Why not rename the show "Three Miodern Families"? If I had not seen previous seasons, I would be wondering who on earth these different pods are and how they are connected. Three weeks with zero interaction between the families.

Remember the chess set that Jay gave Phil? Remember Gloria and Manny talking in Soanish about how he needed to let Jay win? Manny"s Spanish was just fine. And he spent a summer in Colombia.

• Love 4

How on earth did Haley get a job with a major fashion designer having little to no experience? ...

Caught the Fizbo episode from the first season yesterday. Maybe I'm being too tough, but it's truly sad to see how far the show has fallen from the first season.

By showing gumption, darn it! Just like with and Phil and Andy, because that's a totally parallel situation?

And yes, this show has fallen mightily. I am really tired of plots where Cam's biggest problem is Mitchell, or vice versa. They did very little of that in the first season, IIRC, but it seems like that's every Cam/Mitchell plot these days.

Mitchell with the doll and Lily was very funny. 

I liked it the first time when it was just a bit with Michell and Lily. The second use of it at the pancake breakfast did nothing for me. It sounds terrible, but I secretly like the idea that Cam and Mitchell are not great parents, but Lily can deal with it. (I liked the play date with the precocious girl a few episodes ago, for example). In real life, I would feel awful about a situation like that.

How does Manny not know any Spanish, at all? 

Seriously, he and Gloria were super-close, and didn't his dad whom he idolized, ever want to speak Spanish with him?

I did like that he accused Gloria of adding an extra middle name though.

And you'd think that Gloria would have been more concerned with finding a tutor Manny liked than one she liked.

• Love 1
Haley get a job with a major fashion designer having little to no experience? T

He wasn't a fashion designer, he was a stylist. Given some of the idiots that work with Rachel Zoe, didn't seem much of stretch, especially because it has been stated that her fashion blog was popular and she has worked at high end boutique shops as well.

While Gloria's monologue about wanting to speak to someone in her own language in her own home was nice, it was so glaringly odd that she didn't teach Manny Spanish when he was first learning how to speak, not to mention they have stated that he spends summer in Colombia.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

While Gloria's monologue about wanting to speak to someone in her own language in her own home was nice, it was so glaringly odd that she didn't teach Manny Spanish when he was first learning how to speak, not to mention they have stated that he spends summer in Colombia.

In a past episode, Gloria says Manny forgot most of his Spanish since they moved to America. So it's not that Manny never knew Spanish, he just hasn't retained any of it since he hasn't used it in a long time. I'm not sure how old Manny was when they moved from Colombia, but he'd have to have been really young and Gloria would have had to almost never speak Spanish in front of him after the move for it to be believable that he'd forget the language completely.

I was hoping the end tag would show how while Claire was worrying about Haley and Phil was worrying about Alex, Luke was off getting into serious trouble.

Poor Luke. No one even seemed to care that he was gone. Including me.

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 2
In a past episode, Gloria says Manny forgot most of his Spanish since they moved to America.

They are just fast and loose with Manny's birthplace, in the episode where we learn Manny spends time in Colombia during the summers, it's also the gay marriage becomes legal episode and Manny and Jay go to the courthouse to pick up a copy of his birth certificate, which makes no sense in the context of the episode because you don't need a birth certificate to travel internationally, you need a passport. But also would make no sense if Manny was born in Colombia.

Edited by biakbiak

Plus, there have been a lot of references to Manny's life in Colombia - like how Gloria didn't want to pull him out of class in the middle of the day, because he's used to Colombian schools, where being pulled out of class means you have to identify a body.

And in the first season, Manny was completely unaccustomed to how Americans celebrate Christmas.

So I don't buy for a second that Manny could forget so much Spanish that he can't even recognize basic words.

• Love 3

Didn't they establish in previous episodes that Beth was either cheating on/going to dump Andy? He and Haley had conversations about it. The "she serves with 26 men" or something?

I like Andy as the idea of Phil's protege (if we ever see that happen), but I'm utterly confused as to where they're going with Haley and Andy. It's like the writers changed their minds about them midway through the story.

I did love that whole conversation: "Now make me buy you!" and Andy purposely forgetting how to use "quit," because he "doesn't know the meaning of the word."

But wow, major fail at that Downton Abbey reference. Their first reference several years ago (Downton Disney) was inspired, but "the Duke" as the most handsome character? He hasn't been seen since the first episode of season 1! Come on, writers -- I thought Cam was a superfan.

Okay, I'm probably alone on this but Andy makes my skin crawl. He just seems like a candy-coated fundie psycho half the time and if he and Haley did end up together he'd have her wearing floor-length schmattas, having a baby a year, and respecting his "headship of the family."

• Love 5

The entire tutor with Manny made no sense. It has been shown several times that Manny can speak Spanish just fine. As for the rest of the episode, there were plenty of moments I laughed out loud. I knew they were going to bring back Beth and Andy's toxic relationship again in case the writers didn't want to go forward with Hailey. It has been said by Andy several times how many times she has broken up with him or cheated on him and Beth always came back. Too bad he can't get the idea and dump her for good and only comes back because the sex is great. I have no idea what was going on with Alex and why she was studying so much to the point she hadn't slept in days. Come on writers, give her a decent story line you make more effort with Luke and he wasn't even in the episode.

• Love 1

Ugh, of course Haley snags a great job just because she's pushy. Yes, that's how real life works. I guess it does for a pampered Dunphy. I did like that the fashion guy said she looked like a cartoon lamb, because she totally does.

Cam and Mitchell don't seem like spouses, they're more like competitors. For attention, for best parent, for job success... It's always about who is doing better. Tiresome.

Manny not knowing Spanish was beyond absurd. Maybe the writers don't watch previous episodes, but do they realize that most viewers do? Even if Gloria didn't speak much Spanish around Manny anymore, he'd remember it. I'm the fifth kid of European immigrants and they didn't speak much of the old country language by the time I came along, yet I understand it pretty well.

And if Gloria wants Manny and the other kid to know Spanish, then she should speak it to them in the house all the time. Jay would speak English, and both kids would easily be fluently bilingual. That's how it works in many immigrant families; the kids know two languages.

• Love 3

I could easily buy the idea of Gloria hiring Manny a tutor because she was concerned that he wasn't fluent enough. My mother is a German native and even though I grew up around the language and spoke it reasonably with relatives I still took formal lessons as a kid to get better (that German grammar doesn't teach itself!)  The mistake the writers made was linking it to decision of whether Manny should be taking French or Spanish in high school - it's laughable to think that Manny would seriously still be at the stage of "Hola, me llamo Manny" or whatever you learn in Spanish 1.

All good points about Manny knowing spanish in the past.  I guess you could aruge he was just being a difficult teenager and acting like he didn't know it to get out taking the class, but in that case his mom hiring a tutor would be taking it to an extreme

Okay, I'm probably alone on this but Andy makes my skin crawl. He just seems like a candy-coated fundie psycho half the time and if he and Haley did end up together he'd have her wearing floor-length schmattas, having a baby a year, and respecting his "headship of the family."

I think they tried to make him like a younger Phil but he just can't pull it off as well as Ty Burrell, it comes across as you describe. 

I have never cared for Andy and Haley together either, I hope they don't keep suggesting that or hinting at it.  As much as Claire does not like him Haley and Dylan are made for each other

I assume Haley's trying to get the job with whoever that was was not out of the blue, she probably knew of the opening somehow and applied.  He said he looked at her blog, he knew she was coming in for an appointment, it seems it was an interview for the job and he was just being difficult and moody, as is probably his style. 

Also I am confused......Is Manny still going to be the Manny for Gloria and Jay, or is that over now? 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 2

And yes, this show has fallen mightily. I am really tired of plots where Cam's biggest problem is Mitchell, or vice versa. They did very little of that in the first season, IIRC, but it seems like that's every Cam/Mitchell plot these days.

Cam and Mitchell don't seem like spouses, they're more like competitors. For attention, for best parent, for job success... It's always about who is doing better. Tiresome.

I just can't with this show anymore. Almost nothing makes me laugh, and it's disappointing to see where they've gone with the Cam and Mitchell relationship. In the first season or two, they were the funniest and in some ways best couple on the show. At this point, it seems like they barely even like each other, much less love each other. I find Mitchell totally insufferable and condescending to his husband at every turn, and the constant plots that turn on the two competing with each other are beyond tiresome. I suppose at this point I'll just delete it from my DVR rather than continue to be annoyed at how much the show has deteriorated.

• Love 3

I assume Haley's trying to get the job with whoever that was was not out of the blue, she probably knew of the opening somehow and applied.  He said he looked at her blog, he knew she was coming in for an appointment, it seems it was an interview for the job and he was just being difficult and moody, as is probably his style. 

All true, but if this guy is really that famous, then the line of applicants is a mile long. Haley has a blog, but she doesn't have a degree and I can't imagine she's got anything impressive in the way of recommendations. For a job that desirable, no one would just hire her on the spot. It just doesn't work that way. (Also, unfortunately, an entry level job like that would probably be in the form of an unpaid internship).

• Love 2

As much as Claire does not like him Haley and Dylan are made for each other

I was not a Dylan fan at all, I really got tired of the whole: "He's good looking but dumber than a post." Last three appearances, he has gotten a job, is doing well in the nursing program and even admitted it was time to grow up. He isn't sharp by any means but has shown when he applies to things he succeeds. At this point, I say bring back Dylan and get it over with. With Andy, throwing back in that he and Beth are back to the entire: "We are great at sex so we keep getting back together and never see her" is beyond tiresome now. Having Andy also leave behind his manny job at this point works since Joe would be heading towards Preschool soon. 

Still I am so over Cam and Mitchell's crap, the courtroom was funny but I can't take this anymore with their whining and competition on who is better.

• Love 2

Where were the judge and bailiff in that courtroom scene? A judge would have had Cam and his phone evicted long before he was crawling in the floor, and by that point security should have been on it. A courtroom is not a bus stop.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

Still I am so over Cam and Mitchell's crap, the courtroom was funny but I can't take this anymore with their whining and competition on who is better.

Sorry to be a broken record, but those 2 just do not like each other and don't even seem to care about each other. As a lawyer, my spouse has some idea what I do-Cam seems to have none-maybe that is because Mitchell's practice area seems to jump around from environmental to employment to who knows what next. In general, I see no spark between them. As different as Jay and Gloria are, they are given chances to show the connection as are the Dunphys, but nothing for Cam and Mitchell.

Did love the meta comment about Haley looking like a cartoon lamb. Also loved how she knew not to slam the girl in front of her, but once given permission ripped right into it.

What did Haley say about Beth when she was in front of the refrigerator-I played it several times and could not tell.

Didn't notice no Luke until I came to this board-didn't miss him at all. Got more shots of Fulcencio than Luke, which is good since the little one is less awkward on screen than Luke

• Love 1

Ugh, of course Haley snags a great job just because she's pushy. Yes, that's how real life works.

I would say that the guy (Gavin?) is more impressed by people with a backbone than those who cower before him. Yes, the receptionist is a sycophant, but her position isn't that important to him. In other words, I had no problem with his hiring Haley. Besides, it's Michael Urie, and I want to see him again.

I also didn't have a big problem with Manny needing Spanish lessons. He said that Spanish doesn't feel right for him, that he's more suited for French, so he's basically rejecting Spanish. He doesn't even want to try. I see it as a psychological aversion to it. Maybe that's not completely realistic, but sometimes I don't get bothered by a lack of realism in sitcoms.

I loved when Gloria told Jay how she feels to have to speak English all the time and been seen as stupid. Loved her line that was something like, "Do you know how smart I am in Spanish?" And then it was sweet when Jay hired the tutor to teach HIM Spanish. And again, I loved Gloria's happy response as he fumbled with talking in Spanish. "Oh Jay I love it. Now YOU sound like the stupid one!"

I really love the lines they give Gloria, and Sofia is very good at delivering them.

I didn't really care for Alex's story line, although I loved when Phil said she looked like a human Roomba.

I didn't miss Luke.

I thought Cam and Mitchell's story line was fine. Usually this kind of thing bugs me, but it didn't seem too outlandish to me. 

I guess I'm in a small group that likes Andy. Loved when he surprised Phil and said, "Sorry. Stupid little cat feet." I do admit though that I'm confused about him and Beth. I can't remember what last happened with them.

• Love 2

Manny describing the newer warships as "steamier" got a good laugh out of me as they panned across the tutor's abs.

I feel like the show is rehashing the same Cam and Mitchell storylines though. Surely there's something for them to do outside of their jobs.

They are just fast and loose with Manny's birthplace, in the episode where we learn Manny spends time in Colombia during the summers, it's also the gay marriage becomes legal episode and Manny and Jay go to the courthouse to pick up a copy of his birth certificate, which makes no sense in the context of the episode because you don't need a birth certificate to travel internationally, you need a passport. But also would make no sense if Manny was born in Colombia.

You do need a birth certificate to get a passport, however.

I thought it was a decent episode.  Having worked in news (specifically shooting high school football), that 'LIVE' bug when they were interviewing Cam was ridiculous.  HS football games end way before the 11pm newscast starts. 

I feel like Cam and Mitchell don't like each other any more and are staying together because of Lilly which then spurs on the competition (i.e. if they split up who would be the better, more stable parent in terms of custody).

Neither, imo.

• Love 1
As a lawyer, my spouse has some idea what I do-Cam seems to have none-maybe that is because Mitchell's practice area seems to jump around from environmental to employment to who knows what next.

That I think is somewhat explainable. Last season there was an entire multiple episode storyline around Mitchell leaving that firm with his man-child boss where he was practicing more environmental law and going to the smaller firm that seemed more centered on human rights issues. So the cases he's talked about recently actually make sense. 

I agree with others about Andy though. That character just bugs and he always has in my opinion. I have come to the conclusion that for me it's because he has a punchable face. Like there's something about his doh! face and stupid expressions that makes me want someone to just hit him hard. I know that sounds a little awful and I swear I'm not a violent person in real life. Quite the opposite actually. I feel slightly the same about Cam sometimes too. Like the character is obnoxious enough as it but sometimes I swear something about his face just makes everything he does way more annoying and insufferable to me. 

As for the whole Andy and Beth thing, if I remember correctly, it was made clear in the season finale that Andy went to win Beth back. That was the thing that sparked Haley telling him that Beth was basically playing him because she knew she could and she enjoyed the power she had over him and she knew because she was a "Beth".

I think there was also the sense that Beth had told Andy it was definitely over but he was still going after her because he insisted she always changed her mind and would again. There was the whole drawn out thing with him and Haley where Alex told Haley to be sure because it was very hard for people like Andy and her (Alex) to get over the popular ones like Haley, etc. So Haley backed off and Andy I assumed went to the airport after all and went after Beth. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I agree with others about Andy though. That character just bugs and he always has in my opinion. I have come to the conclusion that for me it's because he has a punchable face. Like there's something about his doh! face and stupid expressions that makes me want someone to just hit him hard.

I think you've nailed it---it's the smug bland dumb but know it all thing. That's probably where I get that religious cult vibe from his character--they never have any doubts, either.

Phil is super-chirpy-positive-cheerleadery but he at least doubts himself occasionally and has enough human "OMG I screwed up" moments that he's likable...Andy, NSM.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I want Andy's character to disappear on some missionary trip and never be heard from again because I associate the timing of his first appearance with the huge decline of quality in this program...and dammit, I want my MoFy back. Now.

• Love 3

Okay, I'm probably alone on this but Andy makes my skin crawl.

You're not, I don't like him at all.  And I guess now that he's Phil's assistant, we're going to be seeing more of him.

I miss the families interacting too.  Phil and Claire have never been my favorites, and for some reason I am finding Claire more annoying this season.   I always liked Luke and I did miss him (well, at the end of the show, I noticed he hadn't been on).

• Love 1
You do need a birth certificate to get a passport, however.

Yes, but they were getting his birth certificate on the morning of his planned flight, so it made no sense because they would have gotten a passport earlier. And they line was specifically that he needed his birth certificate to get back in the country.

What did Haley say about Beth when she was in front of the refrigerator-I played it several times and could not tell.

She said, "She's like, really obsessed with us."  But it wasn't about Beth.  Haley was talking to Andy in response to Claire asking, "Oh, so you two (Haley and Andy) aren't really together?".  Andy answered Claire by saying no, and then Haley told Andy that Claire was obsessed with them. 

Alex's storyline was really a throwaway in this ep, wasn't it.  And, like a lot of others, I didn't even notice no Luke. 

I enjoyed this episode for the most part and laughed out loud a few times, which is sort of unusual for the newer seasons. I liked Lily's deadpan "ha ha" response to Mitchell smacking the doll the first time and saying this never worked on you.

I laughed hard (and it still cracks me up) at Phil being embarrassed when he realized he inadvertently wore Haley's leopard-print skirt as a headband while power walking that morning.

Didn't like the Spanish story line at all. And, yes, I really don't understand why the three families are being kept so separate, not even phone calls or references to each other.

• Love 2

I have no trouble believing that a "celebrity stylist" would come across a really attractive young woman who has a successful fashion blog (and a sense of style he likes), and offer her an interview.

I don't get the impression that it's a world where you need lots of experience to be taken seriously.

• Love 7