Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Queer Eyes, Full Hearts

Cam is just a super annoying narcissist with every activity he is involved in.  Least favorite character on the show, this once again reinforced it.  Everything has to be about him and everything has to be an over the top production. 

• Love 4

I too cannot suspend my disbelief long enough to think Manny has forgotten Spanish so much he doesn't remember basic words anymore. He could speak it at least to some degree as a young child -- kids tend to retain languages far better than adults, even if they haven't spoken it in years. Ditto to WHY FFS doesn't Gloria speak Spanish to him all the time, and Joe? Her speech about struggling in English was the part of the episode that really got to me — I've been there and it all rang true -- and it would have been far more effective if there were a plausible reason behind Manny or Joe not being able to speak Spanish. All she has to do is speak to them in her own language; it's literally the easiest thing in the world. Step it up, show writers. This is unaccepable.

I did like Haley losing it in the end, and Mitchell's line after smacking the doll the first time, "this never worked on you" -- but the rest -- wow, so bad. 

• Love 1

Didn't Gloria tutor Haley for her Spanish class?  I think it was the ep where Phil thought he was dying. (Jay bought a coffee cake and all that, after the races with Javier.)  Why would she need to hire a tutor for Manny, especially since she expressed the need to talk to someone in her first language? 

I should really just watch this as a silly sitcom and be done with internal logic.

While the show has been highly inconsistent with how much Spanish Manny knows and why, I thought the exchange that went

"I really think French is a better fit for me."

"Your name is Manuel Diego Alejandro Delgado! How can French be a better fit for you?"

"I'm pretty sure you threw in a name I've never heard before."

was both in character and nicely played. I also liked Phil's line about the assisted suicide hotline.

I was glad that Mitchell finally got Cam to recognize how he does make everything about him all the time.

To some extent I agree that the scenes of Cam and Mitchell being competitive or pissy with each other outnumber the scenes where they behave like a loving couple, but I'm not sure they're unique among sitcom marriages in that way.

• Love 1
it seems it was an interview for the job and he was just being difficult and moody, as is probably his style.

AKA the way every gay man acts in the Modern Family universe.

I think there has been only two non-flamboyant, non-over the top gay men in the entire series: Matthew Broderick's character who hit on Phil and Mitch's ex Teddy. The rest have been amusing but so affected: Pepper and literally of all of their friends, the wedding planner, Mitch's assistant with a crush on him, and a million others I can't recall (mostly their friends).

Longiness. Crispin. Stephen and Stefan. Andre (painted the cheesy cloud portrait above Lily's crib).

Just to prove I'm not completely obsessed, however...I can't remember which one of their friends owned the store where Mitchell tried to get Cam a job, the name of the guy who got the perm, or the names of either of their lesbian friends, although their baby's name was Connor.

And yes, every last one a screaming stereotype, although at least with the gay female couple they made fun of the stereotypes ("I assume you have an unfinished woodworking project in YOUR living room.')

do we know the guy that hired Haley is gay? i mean it wouldnt surprise me, but i don't think it was stated he was. I wasn't saying he was difficult and moody because he was gay. I was stating that tends to be the stereotype of those in the art and fashin industry.

Edited by DrSpaceman

Poor Luke. No one even seemed to care that he was gone. Including me.

I didn't miss Luke.

I can't say I missed Luke or even noticed until afterwards that he didn't appear at all.

I'm sorry.  Did Luke or Nolan shoot your puppies?  Don't get the hate for him.  Except for his moments of stupidity (which, admittedly, are plentiful), I've always liked Luke just fine.

• Love 2

I usually notice about halfway through an episode when one of the kids is absent and that the actor probably isn't used this week.

I love when the stylist said Hayley's face litteraly  looked like a cartoon lamb and they cut to Sarah Hyland looking just like one!

I liked Adam Devine's work earlier from Workaholics and Pitch Perfect so I don't mind him as Andy. The only thing off putting to me was when they first started trying to pair him with Hayley(in the school fair episode) because he is so much older than her. Adam is 31 and Sarah is 23 playing 19.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I'm sorry.  Did Luke or Nolan shoot your puppies?  Don't get the hate for him.  Except for his moments of stupidity (which, admittedly, are plentiful), I've always liked Luke just fine.

No hate. I simply don't mind that he wasn't featured in this episode. His absence was just not felt by me. 

I thought the episode would've better without Alex. Watching her walk into walls? Yawn. (She must've stolen my Grandmother's purse, I guess.)

I'm glad it's On Demand. This season is not worth me making any effort to watch it first run.

i think Alex was needed to show that Claire was so busy focusing on one child, she wasn't providing focus on the others like Phil was.  But other than that, she could've been removed, I guess.  I still liked the realization hitting Claire when she realized how much she was missing what Alex was doing to herself, though.

• Love 3

The best parts of this episode were the references to FNL and the title. 

Also great: Phil saying "mother nature!" when Andy scared him by standing behind the refrigerator door. I loved the tag of him from a seasons ago where it's clips of his "swearing".

I feel like I don't even need to watch this show anymore because I can predict every storyline in every episode. Jay/Gloria: one or both need to prove that their marriage isn't a sham and that they both love each other despite their shortcomings. Mitch/Cam: argue about something (usually who is the more selfish one) and generally act as though they don't even like each other. Phil/Claire: neglect Alex, trying to prove the other one wrong about something. Throw in a couple scenes/plots based on misunderstandings (like they did with the first scene between Gloria and the tutor, where Jay thought they were making fun of him) or something being misheard between characters. That's it.

• Love 3

I agree with comments upthread that a funny ending would have been to reveal that Luke had been up to something legitimately worrisome while his parents were focusing on the two girls.

While I was watching I kept expecting the ending tag to be Luke and his friends smashing light bulbs over their heads or something. .

i think Alex was needed to show that Claire was so busy focusing on one child, she wasn't providing focus on the others like Phil was.  But other than that, she could've been removed, I guess.  I still liked the realization hitting Claire when she realized how much she was missing what Alex was doing to herself, though.

I agree. Alex's role this episode was small but necessary in order to show that Claire's obsessive worrying over Haley was not only unwarranted, because Haley actually was thinking about her future, but also came at the expense of her other children. Using Luke to show Claire's negligence wouldn't have worked as well because Claire isn't as likely to brush off Luke as being fine and capable of handling himself since he has a history of getting into trouble, whereas with Alex, Claire has a history of letting her take care of herself because she's always sort of behaved like an adult. Plus, Phil's pure joy over Claire being wrong about everything, including Alex not needing their attention, was pretty funny so her appearance paid off for me. 

• Love 3

I liked this epi.  I agree that it was annoying that Manny suddenly does not know any Spanish since he is seen speaking it fluently in earlier seasons.  I like Andy, but Haley?  Don't feel any chemistry there at all.  I feel it with Claire and Phil.  It was an "up" episode of a declining show...

• Love 1

The only thing off putting to me was when they first started trying to pair him with Hayley(in the school fair episode) because he is so much older than her. Adam is 31 and Sarah is 23 playing 19.

I'm not getting Haley being 19 -- she took her driver's test (after several fails) in Season 1, so was well into age 16 then, went to college in Season 4, so would be 20 going on 21 this season.  And I'm with Claire:  21 is time to be on a path, so I hope this stylist path turns into something for Haley.  I'll have to go back and look at the car she is driving -- I don't even remember her getting a car at any point, but maybe my memory is faulty. 

I'm not getting Haley being 19 -- she took her driver's test (after several fails) in Season 1, so was well into age 16 then, went to college in Season 4, so would be 20 going on 21 this season.  And I'm with Claire:  21 is time to be on a path, so I hope this stylist path turns into something for Haley.  I'll have to go back and look at the car she is driving -- I don't even remember her getting a car at any point, but maybe my memory is faulty. 

Yeah, Haley is 20. Phil said it in this episode. And I believe she was driving Phil's car to the job interview, at least it looked that way.