Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Pink Cupcakes

• Start Topic

When I read the synopsis I was like "Who the hell is Desiree?" It wasn't until I read the posts that I realized who that is.  I've gotten so used to triple tits =)

Here is another description of what the episode is about:  http://www.breathecast.com/articles/american-horror-story-freak-show-season-4-episode-5-spoilers-pink-cupcakes-showcases-dandys-gruesome-hobby-21372/

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 4

Haha, I guess it's because it's this show but seeing the title "Pink Cupcakes" already has me a little grossed out and I'm not even exactly sure why!

If they're not going to be made of something horrific, they're likely to stand in contrast with something that is.

• Love 1
If they're not going to be made of something horrific, they're likely to stand in contrast with something that is.

That's what I was thinking because pink cupcakes sounds like something that would be served at tea time where everything is so elegant and perfect.  It would be just like R.M. to ruin that image for us =)

• Love 1

I'm at a loss trying to determine the significance of 'Pink Cupcakes'.  Can't wait to find out. 

From the preview commercial, someone injects something into a pink cupcake and gives it to the twins. Could be poison or drugs, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Love 1

Any predictions who will it be if any of the freaks meet their end tonight?

Since the promo has Elsa screaming bloody murder, I'll guess and say Ma Petit, since she cares about her a lot. But since I suck at predictions, I'll most likely be wrong.

Any predictions who will it be if any of the freaks meet their end tonight?

Since the promo has Elsa screaming bloody murder, I'll guess and say Ma Petit, since she cares about her a lot. But since I suck at predictions, I'll most likely be wrong.

I really hope you continue to suck at predictions Valny, because I can't bear to see Ma Petit hurt let alone die!!! The previews don't look good though

...I...he butchered him alive...I watch too much ID because I know such horrors have happened in real life and...nope. That was a big nope nope nope moment for me.

Dandy is so pathetic though he can't even kill anyone after twenty plus stab wounds to the chest and back. The second coming of Twisty he is not.

Gabourey make me chuckle during the phone call with Dandy's nutty mum, it was good stuff.

Dell really needs to die, the sooner the better. I liked seeing Desiree teaming up with Ethel, realizing that Dell is so beneath her and can't give her what she wants and deserves.

So the twins have been sold to Dandy...oy.

• Love 6

This was a good one, I really like it, it had a little bit of everything,. The hour went by really fast I was surprised when it ended because I didn't think the hour was up. I  wanted to see more and
Oh come on, they totally must have shown the wrong clip for this ep because Elsa was screaming in the one I saw and tonight there was nothing. 

Del at a gay bar with Matt Bomer?  Didn't see that coming.  Did someone call that he was into guys?  Matt Bomer, what the hell do you see in Del?!  Not going to picture those two "together" Not going to picture those two  "together."

I would have been REALLY pissed if they killed off Bette and Dot so soon. Damn you AHS for almost faking me out.

Didn't think GLoria would find Dora so soon in the episode. That was really quick.

Tattler's Sisters Hour. I'd like to see that!
Like how they did the two mirror shot with Bette and Dot in that scene with Elsa.
Dandy!  Holy hell, that was some kill scene with Matt Bomer. Cutting him up when he's still alive? Grrross! I don't even think Twisty would do that.  Or did he?
Hey, you guys were supposed to take off all your clothes, underwear are clothes too!  :)

I really hope you continue to suck at predictions Valny, because I can't bear to see Ma Petit hurt let alone die!!! The previews don't look good though

Yes, my record for predictions is still in tact. But in my defense, they didn't even have Elsa screaming in this ep, so there's still a chance I can be right.  Sorry nyjmph.  :)

Dell really needs to die, the sooner the better. I liked seeing Desiree teaming up with Ethel, realizing that Dell is so beneath her and can't give her what she wants and deserves.

Sounds good to me CPP83.  His character got very interesting in the ep. 

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

Thank you Matt Bomer for coming in today,  Wait, did something happen after he took his clothes off?

I loved that Gloria didn't even bother to humor Dandy with Dora's body there.  She knows she is a horrible mother.  She knows she created a monster.  I kinda feel sorry for her, and then she helped hide the body.

If the show keeps this pace up for the rest of the season, I think I will be happy.

• Love 9

Aw poor Elsa. Her song totally bombed with the audience. It's an awesome song guys, why you gotta  be like that? :)  Then they started throwing things too?  Boo on you!

If the show keeps this pace up for the rest of the season, I think I will be happy.

Me too! Hopefully they just got off to a slow start.(althought I really liked the last ep)

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3
Guest Accused Dingo

Dandy American Psycho.

Everything with Dandy worked for me. He is shaping up to be my favorie character. I haven't had a male favorite character for AHS since Murder House. (Tate - What? I like psychopaths don't judge.)

I was liking Del for a moment there then he had to go and attack the Doctor

Matt Bomer os a trooper, isn't he?

Maybe next year he'll get a bigger part.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 9

Well, really disappointed that 'clothes off' means 'underwear on'..... Dandy is hot to me.  Strange observation, but did anyone else notice how hairless his body is?  The Dandy family and the bearded lady are my favorite parts.  Jessica's part and the twins are a big fail to me.  Of course this show is a mess and maybe moreso than last season's debacle, but I'll keep watching for some reason....  

Love how they used Longue Vue House for Ruth Fisher and Dandy's house.

• Love 1

So did part with Stanley showing off Bette/Dot's heads to the lady at the Morbidity Museum were in his imagination right? Because I thought maybe he somehow made molds of them and tried to pass off after Dot said no to the cupcakes of death. But of course,we never saw any mold taking.  Just in my wild thoughts.

Dandy is hot to me.  Strange observation, but did anyone else notice how hairless his body is?
I love hairless! So of course I noticed. I actually thought he has a nice body in that first scene where he was working hout, not too muscular or anything but quite nice,

What did everyone think of the modern music they used in the ep?(there's a name for that,I forget)  Fame by Bowie and Slave to Love by Bryan Ferry?(love that song)

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

A few musings: 

The townspeople quickly forgot they came to the show to make amends, didn't they? 

Another song by Bowie! "Fame".

I was faked out by the pink cupcakes. Took me a minute to see that was all his day dreaming.

I learned a new word this week: poof. I looked it up to see if it was from the 50s. It originated circa 1860 and came from the Brits used in disparaging manner. 

The actor playing Dandy is great. He goes from mama's boy to monster in a millisecond. 

Dell's an sob. He doesn't want Desiree but won't let her go.

Good episode.

• Love 6

Dandy is an irredeemable psycho because how can he murder Matt Bomer. I don't care who you are, but if you saw that shayna punim you definitely wouldn't want to stab him with a knife.

Awful deluded covetous Elsa. It looks like we'll be ending up with two plots. Del, Elsa, and Stanley being villainous at the freak show and Dandy murdering people out in the wild.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5

If he was a modern-day character, I would fully expect Dandy to be hairless. Hair would cover up his precious muscle tone, and besides, he's basically striving to be a Ken doll.

But in the '50s, I'm not as sure. It had to be somewhat unusual for men to shave their chests, let alone their legs. The actors he wants to resemble, like Montgomery Clift, certainly didn't.

As for the crowd booing Elsa and throwing things at her, that seemed completely off. The opening number is incredible. Even if they hated Elsa's singing, or the futuristic music, they should still have been amazed, because that number displays all their talent.

These people paid for a freak show, and then they're unsatisfied with a musical act that includes conjoined twins who have two heads on one body, the world's smallest woman, and a man with what appear to be seal flippers? What the hell?

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 4

What was Elsa's number that got booed? It sounded like a very bastardized version of a Rachael Yamagata song I love, and I'm hoping it wasn't (don't want to see her go mainstream).

It was "Life on Mars", by Bowie, that she did a few episodes ago, wasn't it?

• Love 6
It was "Life on Mars", by Bowie, that she did a few episodes ago, wasn't it? 

It was in the first episode,then the next one was Gods and Monsters.  I actually downloaded both yesterday. I didn't care for them one way or another but had heard them playing on a lot of AHS podcasts recently, and they started to sound really good to me,so now I am a fan. 

Gabourey make me chuckle during the phone call with Dandy's nutty mum, it was good stuff.

She was making some good faces too, like, "what the hell is she talking about,this is weird."   The only part that sounded a little off to me was when she said to Gloria that she was at the "Barbizon Secretarial School in NYC."  It sounded so...I don't know.. exposition-y.

• Love 5

I hope that the freak death fantasies Stanley kept having means that he only fantasizes about killing Ma Petit. >:(

I missed a few minutes of it but I thought this was an entertaining episode the whole way through. Probably the best of the season so far. But I feel so bad for that poor, kind doctor. Dandy needs to run into Del in a dark alley.

Dandy's outrageously unconvincing "Oh darn, someone broke into the house and killed her" act was only topped by his mom's instant disbelief and anger. Horrible but hilarious. And his "How to be a good killer" monologue reminds me of Cher from Clueless. That boy is a mess.

Jimmy coming onto his stepmom had me yelling at the tv. No! No, what are you doing?! Desiree and Jimmy can't be that stupid. Del will beat Jimmy to death if he finds out about what happened there. Plus that's his stepmom! No! The more we learn about Desiree, the more I like her though.

It's always one step forward, two steps back with Elsa. I think selling the twins can only blow up in her face horrifically from every angle. I'm kind of starting to wonder if her German soldier boy wasn't so special and she showed disdain towards everyone anyway. But honestly, I'm glad that losing her legs didn't completely humble her. Her continued gloryhounding is a nice example of the profound resilience and narcissism of the human spirit.

• Love 7

Valny said:

So did part with Stanley showing off Bette/Dot's heads to the lady at the Morbidity Museum were in his imagination right? Because I thought maybe he somehow made molds of them and tried to pass off after Dot said no to the cupcakes of death. But of course we never saw any mold taking.

Yeah, that entire sequence was Stanley's dream sequence of how he wanted to kill Bette and Dot.

I like how many visual quotes they're making this season from various thriller/horror movies.  Zodiac (the picnic scene), Freaks, and now American Psycho.

• Love 1

The scene of shirtless Dandy working out definitely reminded me of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

So the madness runs in the family because of inbreeding? Interesting, I'd kind of like to know a bit more about Dandy's father now. Gloria seems pretty crazy too and she's almost as mad as Dandy if she thinks he isn't above killing her one day too.

I don't know how I never noticed that Dandy is a croquet fan until now but that is too perfect.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 2

I was kind of hoping for some Dandy/Matt Bomer sexytime.

Their hairless chests had me snickering.

So did part with Stanley showing off Bette/Dot's heads to the lady at the Morbidity Museum were in his imagination right? Because I thought maybe he somehow made molds of them and tried to pass off after Dot said no to the cupcakes of death. But of course,we never saw any mold taking.  Just in my wild thoughts.

I love hairless! So of course I noticed. I actually thought he has a nice body in that first scene where he was working hout, not too muscular or anything but quite nice,

What did everyone think of the modern music they used in the ep?(there's a name for that,I forget)  Fame by Bowie and Slave to Love by Bryan Ferry?(love that song)

Sorry, but I need hair on my men:)

The music was fantastic as always; more Bowie AND Roxy Music!

Lol, poor Matt Bomer. Murphy said it was going to be a  terrifying and disturbing scene or something like that, but the Monty Phyton did it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXY9TuuwyL8

I don't know who's worse, Dell or Stanley. What happened to the sisters in his fantasy gave me the creeps; to me, it was worse than Dandy killing poor Matt. (On  the other hand, Ryan Murphy, stop killing Matt Bomer!)

Elsa's the worst too. I can't believe she wants to "give"  the sisters to Dandy and  his mum.             

• Love 1
Elsa's the worst too. I can't believe she wants to "give"  the sisters to Dandy and his mum.

I'm now at the point where, of the major characters (I'm not counting Jyoti Amge as Ma Petite) the only ones I want to survive the season are Ethel and Desiree.

• Love 2

Damn, that was a good episode.  Had to be at work early today and I got up EXTRA early so I could watch.  :)  I loved Gloria sending Dandy to his room for committing a horrific murder like he had just gotten caught stealing an apple at the store.  Oh, and the smile on his face as he walked away from her...so perfectly creepy.  I hope we get to learn more about his father.  I am laying odds that DandyDaddy's suicide was helped along by Gloria or someone else.  Gloria and Dandy are such good fun when they are together.  I feel a little bad for Gloria because she obviously knows she has raised a psychopath but then, at the same time, she raised a freaking psychopath and she is still helping cover up his little adventures so my sympathy level is pretty damn low.

Jimmy and Desiree was kind of nasty (what is it with this show and incestuous type relationships?!) but, in their defense, I don't think either of them were aware (at that point anyway) that Dell is Jimmy's father.  I actually rather like Desiree and I loved Ethel for taking her to the doctor and staying with her when she was so obviously afraid.  I want Dell to come to a VERY nasty end after what he did to the nice doctor who has been treating the freaks so well.  I don't suppose a "strong man" body would be of much interest to a museum so I guess our "light in the loafers"  villain wont be killing him off for me any time soon.  Maybe Dandy will hook up with him at that local gay bar (I am sure THAT was a popular place with the locals in 1950s rural Florida!) and do unspeakable things to him for me before he chops him into little bitty pieces.  :) 

The scene with Dandy and Matt Bomer (did we even learn the character's name?) in Twisty's RV was hysterical to me.  Dandy really did play it off smart, with the suggestion of them getting naked and "seeing what magic happens"....very believable approach.  The both of them leaving their underwear on for that part...too funny!  The hairlessness kind of raised the "ick" factor for me (apologies to those who like it, but I like my men furry LOL) although I have to admit Dandy's body was looking just dandy (see what I did there?!) during his work out montage. 

• Love 5

I don't think Desiree knew Del was Jimmys father until after the doctor visit. Ethel must have told her then. Jimmy doesn't know Del is his father.

When Desi went to the doctor he said she had a miscarriage. Right? So she must of had sex with Del. From last week I thought that wasn't happening between them.

I felt bad for the poor doctor. I hope Del finds himself in that trailer in the woods with Dandy some day soon.

That stab fest was crazy! And where did that big vat of acid come from?

Great episode, nice shocking moments too.

Pity Matt Bomer only appeared on the show to get bumped off by Dandy but at least we learned a bit more about Dell, even though I dislike him.

Desiree got some better screentime in this episode and I'm glad she stood up to Dell as well in this episode. Jimmy coming onto her I could've done without.

Maggie doesn't seem to mind the idea of Stanley killing everyone else but she clearly has a soft spot for Jimmy.

I don't sympathise with Elsa. She lost goodwill for me when she handed Bette and Dot over to Gloria and Dandy.

I'm guessing Regina will be around for the remainder of the season then, 8/10

Hey, so if Dandy's mom knew how he was, did she hire the derelict clown to serve as a victim nobody would miss?

This is what I suggested in the episode thread back when she picked him up. I can't think of any other reason why she would tell Dandy that he could do "whatever he wanted" to Twisty. She also picked Twisty up after she suspected that Dandy was feeling frustrated enough to go out and get himself into trouble that she might not be able to get him out of as she has previously. 

When Desi went to the doctor he said she had a miscarriage. Right? So she must of had sex with Del. From last week I thought that wasn't happening between them.

There was a flashback scene where she is having sex with some guy (in front of the guy's friends?) and Del walks in and ends up killing the guy. I had the impression that she might have been making money on the side as a prostitute. 

I don't sympathise with Elsa. She lost goodwill for me when she handed Bette and Dot over to Gloria and Dandy.

I don't really sympathise with Elsa either but I also don't think she has any idea of what Gloria and Dandy are all about. Certainly I don't think she'd suspect either of them of being murderous but maybe there was something I missed.

I'm a little confused by the reaction to Jimmy and Desiree's interaction as being incestuous. They're not blood relatives and unless I missed something, he had no prior relationship with her - of any kind, let alone one where she assumed a motherly role over him which would at least lend a feeling of an inappropriate relationship in spirit, if not in fact. They're are just two unrelated members of the freak show.

I feel the same way. I didn't get an incestuous vibe at all from either end. They just seemed like two lonely people. For a moment though I did cringe thinking that the scene was going to go all Monster's Ball on us.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3
Guest Accused Dingo

So far the only characters i have a hate for are Del and Stanley. I am not sure how I feel about Elsa. Is she using the freaks like Del and Stanley are...almost definetly. The moment one of them rises higher then her (Bette and Dot) off they go. However she also takes care of them in her own way as long as they are useful to her which isore then you can say for Del and Stanley.

• Love 1
The moment one of them rises higher then her (Bette and Dot) off they go.

My guess is that this is the first time Elsa has felt eclipsed by one of the performers in her show. She's so used to being the star of this band of performers that it never occurred to her that the twins might have actual talent. Her instinct was to reject Gloria and Dandy's offer the first time around and I felt like there was some camaraderie forming between the group until the Fiona Apple performance that brought about all of Elsa's jealousy and insecurities. 

I didn't get an impression that she has a history of doing this though. If it turns out that she does have a history of getting rid of her more talented performers then feel like there should have been a line from another performer about seeing how long the twins last now that Elsa knows they have talent.

• Love 4