Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Halloween 3: AwesomeLand

When Claire lets Phil take charge of Halloween, he decides to do something different than her usual fright-fest theme. Jay wants to be Prince Charming for Halloween -- complete with a full head of hair. Cam becomes overwhelmed.

This episode just wasn't funny to me. None of the plots did it for me.

The one surprise for me was when it turned out Gloria didn't have anything to do with Jay's hair being missing. She didn't seem to want him to find it, and I fully expected that she buried it in the backyard herself, or something like that.

As for Cameron and Mitchell - I'm glad they weren't at each other's throats the whole time. But really, Cameron, how stupid do you have to be to never be able to find Waldo? It's one thing if other people always find him before you, but to be unable to do it, period?

• Love 1

Yes, especially as she was referred to as "feminist hero, Tess McGill." The neighbors making up the "nuthouse" claim was pretty telegraphed, though.

I also liked Mitchell "winning" his case with Lily. It was a loving, supportive thing he did for Cam. It was one of the first times I saw Mitchell's affection for his husband, but in a truly "Mitchell" way. Really nice scene.

And "joint Thanksgiving." Heh.

• Love 4

I thought the gag with Cam not being able to find Lily on the playground was pretty funny. Otherwise, meh.

That was my favourite bit, too.  Especially the part where Mitchell says 'she's standing next to the kid who's dressed like a hobo' and Cam says 'I don't think that's a kid, maybe I should get an adult'  hee.

With that said, I think the arrival of the wild & crazy new neighbours is Modern Family's shark.  I do not care about them, nor am I interested in getting to know any new characters at this point in the show.  I am only interested in the core characters and they are the reason I tune in.  If the writers have run out of new ideas then get new writers.  Don't bring in new characters. 

New neighbours aside, this has been a really weak season so far and I am disappointed.  Been watching since the first season and found last year so much stronger & funnier than the previous season which I found to be really bad.  Along with the new neighbours thing, I find there is way too many mugging for the camera moments this year -- as in someone makes a joke and then makes a face to the camera.  This was funny when it was done occasionally.  When it's done 5 times an episode, it's not funny.  Too many throw away one liners and not enough time spent on story lines. Seems as though they aren't putting any effort into it. 

Edited by Cementhead

I was pleasantly surprised that the Cam-Lily storyline was not the usual "Daddy is neglecting the kid for work and needs to learn a heartwarming lesson," but rather "Kid needs to learn that Daddy's other obligations are also important, and she needs to take some responsibility for their relationship too."

• Love 15
I think the arrival of the wild & crazy new neighbours is Modern Family's shark.  I do not care about them, nor am I interested in getting to know any new characters at this point in the show.

A million times yes. The new neighbors are without question the shark that has now been jumped. This was the worst Halloween episode they have done to date and just another poorly written episode in a season of crappy episodes (thus far). I found Lily in her Waldo costume next to the hobo bit funny. Everything else, not so much. RIP, Modern Family. This has been the worst season yet and with every passing episode, my hopes for the writers getting it together are waning.

I thought the gag with Cam not being able to find Lily on the playground was pretty funny. Otherwise, meh.

I thought it was an ok episode and a nice change from Claire's all out gorefest for Halloween. There were some classic MF moments like the Waldo stuff and the spider costume on the stenographer, but overall it was only ok.

Did anyone understand a word of what Gloria said when she walked in with Joe? I listened to it about 10 times and did not pick up one word-at some point it became a challenge and still was not able to crack it.

I don't.mind the new neighbours because I like Phil getting taken down a peg sometimes. He's just such a childish oddball.

On that note, the Awesomeland thing was just weird, who does that? He knows Halloween is scary and the Dunphys do a house of horrors every year, so what was with the bright colourful props? And really, where did all that stuff come from, and where did it go? Are we supposed to believe they own all that giant junk? And that they have storage space for it? Or did Phil rent all those huge props and then Claire returned them, and then rented them again? I know, I know, it's a sitcoms, but even over-the-top antics have to be physically possible. ( Not to mention financial, but we've tapped that well many times).

And if Claire had to work - which makes sense since Halloween is a Friday this year - why didn't Phil? Or Haley? Or why weren't Alex and Luke at school? What does Haley do all day to support her clothes and pot habit?

I liked the Cam and Mitchell plot, and it was nice that they weren't bickering for once.

Jay is right, male-female costume sets are often in the beauty and beast vein. Although so are Jay and Gloria themselves, so... Sorry, Jay. You're a funny guy, but you ARE the JayZ to Beyoncé every day.

• Love 3

Lily's Waldo costume was great. I remember when my son was little I thought that would be a good costume, but I couldn't find the right shirt -- I don't sew -- or the right hat… Anyway, I loved Lily's costume, esp the hair. I also liked that Lily was at fault re the flier and her general attitude. I enjoyed Mitchell taking her down a few notches. But again, it's too bad about the "actress."

In Jay & Gloria's storyline, I was sure that Joe was wearing the hair. I thought Gloria was hiding it under his hood. I kept waiting for this reveal, but I liked what she said about getting turned on by Jay being happy.

Awesomeland was not. I agree with the other criticisms that this didn't make much sense for Phil, as well as the question about where all their props come from and go to. And, yes, it was no surprise that the neighbors were tricking Claire into changing their decorations. I did like the House of Whores.

I liked Andrea Anders' line reading of "my Confederate flag bikini."

Of course there were many great lines.

• Love 1

I love Middle, Goldberg's, and Black-ish, so I just keep my tv on during the 900 half-hour and ill catch bits and pieces of this show, but after last night no more.

I use to love this show, but now even only half-watching makes me want t to murder Cam & Phil. Why Mitchell & Claire, respectively, haven't murdered those two assholes is beyond me.

I found then Zahn/Anderses much more enjoyable in this episode. They were toned down and indicated that they had some interest in being good neighbors, especially if it meant they got to push some buttons. 

To be honest I'm a little over the Halloween theme in a lot of shows these days. The characters always have incredible and immaculate outfits that are put together by a costume department and love expressing how much they LOVE Halloween. And Modern Family has been around enough at this stage that the material doesn't really seem that fresh (especially as it applies to the Dunphy's House of Horrors). I enjoyed Jay loving his hair, that was a fresh spin.

• Love 2

I hope the neighbors are limited to 2 or 3 mentions/scenes this season.  I love Steve Zahn, but the trailer trash neighbors will wear thin if we have to see them every week. 

It's been beaten into our heads for years. Sofia Vagara is a stunning looking woman and has an incredible figure. We get it.  Can the actress be allowed to cover up her cleavage now?  Or is it in her contract that there must be maximum boobage exposed in all of her scenes or that every other character in a Gloria scene must comment on her appearance/sexiness in some way?  And why does every Jay- Gloria story need to be about how gorgeous she is and he's so old and unattractive? It's gotten to the point that it isn't even mildly funny anymore. The freshness of this sitcom as gone stale for me.

• Love 3

I appreciated the elaborate set up to get there. It reminded me of the Frogger bit on Seinfeld in that respect. I also liked the tag at the end that referred back to it.

With that said, I think the arrival of the wild & crazy new neighbours is Modern Family's shark.  

The only jokes that really land there for me is Haley's interest in the medical marijuana connection. ("A joint Thanksgiving?"). Because, let's be honest, Haley smokes up on a regular basis.

I like the character of Alex, but unfortunately, when she has the best lines (as I think she did this time) on the Dunphy plot, it's because everyone else is being extra stupid.

I haven't had the pleasure of being in court on Halloween, but I can't imagine judges go in for that sort of costume in the courtroom, and especially worn by staff, and especially in a civil suit involving millions of dollars.

• Love 2

I love Middle,

Seriously?  I watched The Middle last night for the first time in a while, and holy cow was it bad.

I know people on this forum are really down on Modern Family, perhaps because it isn't what it was a few years ago - or isn't as fresh - but it's still better than most network comedies.  The Middle and Modern Family started the same year and from my periodic viewings of The Middle it has always been lame.

• Love 5

It's ironic that the new neighbors is essentially the reverse of Ed O'Neil's previous show Married...With Children. There the boorish, low class family(complete with slutty teenage daughter) were the main characters and the first episode was the more straight and uptight couple moves next door.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who wanted to be petting those puppies like Luke was? So adorable! I thought the Awesomeland fit goofy, silly, childish Phil more then going all out on a creepy scary Halloween.

As someone who used to love Where's Waldo and went as him for Halloween when I was about her age loved that costume. I actually enjoyed Lily this episode. I thought she was better and more realistic then snarky, quippy Lily (who can grate on me).

• Love 2

Phil's awesomeland just didn't make sense. It's Halloween, it just bugs. I hate what has happened with Haley and Luke. Haley seems to toke so much she has no braincells left. Luke... its just bad. Poor, Jay and I was happy with how the Lily/Cam story ended but poor Mitchell. The recorder comes dressed as a giant spider... really? Any other court would have had her on report, you can't dress like that even in a small 300 town population. It was serious case, there is suspension of belief and then there is that.

Did anyone understand a word of what Gloria said when she walked in with Joe? I listened to it about 10 times and did not pick up one word-at some point it became a challenge and still was not able to crack it.

She was explaining to him how Shakira (I assume she meant the famous singer) was his third cousin and that it at least gets them some free tickets. 

As for the episode, I did like Jay's calling out Manny's lame "I did it my way" gag by pointing out that Sinatra did have other songs. The Waldo storyline was also cute and I enjoyed someone acting like a parent with Lily for a change and calling out her bratty behavior. That said, I too rolled my eyes at the entire courtroom scene with Mitchell. This is one of the major things I think has been hurting the show this season. Modern Family used to be far more clever with their humor and set ups but now so many things come across as the writers not putting much thought and just going for a cheap laugh. 

As for the new neighbors, my problem with them, aside from not finding them particularly funny is that another weakness I've found in the season so far is that the Dunphy's are almost coming across as being on their own show separate from the rest of the family. And I feel like this new trashy neighbors thing will be more of their storylines revolving around that gag than moments with the rest of the family. This is the second straight episode where none of the different families had scenes with each other. It's odd. Like if I didn't know any better, I'd think the actors hate each other and want to avoid working together.

• Love 1

For anyone who wants a Waldo costume, get a plain shirt and hat (with the pom pom) and find some red sticky tape if you can (or white tape if you have a red shirt/hat). My workplace department did this one Halloween and it looked surprisingly good.

• Love 1

I also liked Mitchell "winning" his case with Lily. It was a loving, supportive thing he did for Cam. It was one of the first times I saw Mitchell's affection for his husband, but in a truly "Mitchell" way. Really nice scene.

That was one of the few times the three of them seemed like a real, loving little family. Usually it seems like Cam is throwing some tantrum or other and Mitchell is being fussy/uptight and Lily is given a too-clever-for-her-age quip or two, and that's it. But this episode showed them in a warmer, sweeter light. I liked that.

Too bad I didn't like much else. What a tired episode. Oh and I might be alone in this, but I thought Awesome Land was far scarier than any haunted house. The creepy uncanny valley-like feeling, oversized objects, and neon colors were just unsettling.

• Love 3

Seriously?  I watched The Middle last night for the first time in a while, and holy cow was it bad.

I know people on this forum are really down on Modern Family, perhaps because it isn't what it was a few years ago - or isn't as fresh - but it's still better than most network comedies.  The Middle and Modern Family started the same year and from my periodic viewings of The Middle it has always been lame.

The Middle, even at its worst, has never sent me into a murderous rage as Phil & Cam started to do towards the end of season two. They are both so whiney and selfish, that I just couldn't take it anymore. I just wish that kangaroo that punch Phil last season had punched Cam too.

Even last night, I get the whole point of Mitchell's 'closing argument' was that Lily needs to do her part too, but all I saw was Cam once again making it all about him.

As someone who often finds Cam's diva antics incredibly grating and am usually annoyed with him, I have to say last night's episode was one of those rare ones where I didn't think he was making it all about him. My annoyance with Cam last night actually was his falling over himself apologizing to Lily rather than reminding her who the parent is. That's why like the poster above stated, I liked that the storyline didn't go the predictable route of his apologizing some more about being a coach and promising to spend more time with her and basically making it seem like he was wrong. Instead, Mitchell acted like a parent and gave Lily a well-deserved talking to, which led to her rightfully apologizing to Cam.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I thought at the end the reveal was going to be Phil's awesome ends up winning the prize anyway

I too liked the Cam/Mitch storyline for once. Nice to see them stick up for each other. And thought it was hilarious with Cam not being able to find Waldo/Lilly.

Didn't care much for Jay and Gloria's story, mainly because even with the hair, Jay still didn't look like Prince Charming.

• Love 1

I was so hoping that Phil's awesome land was going to turn out unintentionally more terrifying than their usual haunted house routine, but no they went the more predictable route of falling for that ridiculous lie of the neighbors.

Time to bring in some new writers, the old ones are starting to run out of gas it seems. 

• Love 3

It's ridiculous, her accent has gotten thicker as the series has progressed. Watch season one reruns and Sophia had a modest accent and was pleasant and funny. She also had better hair. Now she's screechy, demanding and her accent gets stronger each season (which is the opposite of what happens in real life). And her hair does not look good blond; I don't care if that's her natural colour.

It's just typical sitcom stupidity, exaggerating the character traits because the producers think that if the viewers think a bit of Diva Cam is amusing, then a lot of Diva Cam is high-larious! They are wrong. Subtle humour is gold. Over the top gags are cheap.

• Love 2

I hope the neighbors are limited to 2 or 3 mentions/scenes this season.  I love Steve Zahn, but the trailer trash neighbors will wear thin if we have to see them every week. 

I'm with you on this. I don't like the characters at all. Even Steve Zahn can't save it. He did have my favorite line of the night though - "I'll just give her a box of Capn Crunch and set her down in front of the fish tank. It seems to calm her down".

Lily's acting still needs help but I have to admit it doesn't annoy me like it use to. She's the one who had me laughing the most the past couple of episodes. On the other hand, Mitchell's affectations are getting on my nerves. I wish he'd keep his hands away from his face.

Is Temple Grandin a big hugger?

• Love 1

It's like they brought in the actors for each family for one week to film just their segments for three episodes, then gave them two weeks off while the other families came in and did the same.

• Love 1

It's like they brought in the actors for each family for one week to film just their segments for three episodes, then gave them two weeks off while the other families came in and did the same.

I wonder if this is their attempt to change things up since the show has been on for awhile now. Maybe they think viewers were getting tired of the formula where the family's stories all inevitably intertwine at the end of the episode no matter what else happened. I get that I guess, but for me, one of the things that made Modern Family work as it did and be so likable was that family coming together aspect.

That said, I could be fine with them not having the big family dinner at the end of every episode but the problem is they aren't even interacting. Like in past seasons, different family members would have different storylines with each other - Gloria and Claire, Manny and Luke, Jay and Phil, Claire and Mitchell, Jay and Cam, Alex and Mitchell, etc. It's the second episode in a row where the different families were off in their own storylines , doing their own thing with no interactions with each other at all. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I work with courtroom clerks and we all dress up for Halloween, take our pictures to send to HR for the contest, and then CHANGE into acceptable clothing for court.

I did like Phil saying exactly what Haley said he would, the Cam/Waldo joke, and the "joint" Thanksgiving. Definitely not on par with the "fog cue" Halloween. But it was an ok episode.

I work with courtroom clerks and we all dress up for Halloween, take our pictures to send to HR for the contest, and then CHANGE info acceptable clothing for court.

I did like Phil saying exactly what Haley said he would, the Cam/Waldo joke, and the "joint" Thanksgiving. Definitely not on par with the "fog cue" Halloween. But it was an ok episode.

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 1

I was hoping someone would point out to Gloria that she should have painted herself green and put padding in her costume to give her more of an apple shaped look. Shrek wasn't about promoting traditional hour glass figures as being the only kind of beauty.

Claire would have been well served to have built on Phil's concept. It wouldn't have taken much to tweek AwesomeLand into something terrifying. The giant cupcakes and bunny were close to being scary as is. 

• Love 1

Overall I didn't like the episode and don't have much to say that hasn't already been said...

I love Sofia & Ed, love the characters they play, but I see less than no chemistry between them. Am I alone in this? Anybody else?

I was just glad to see Lily in a confessional, even if it was with Mitchell.  Other than this one and her solo one last season (when she expressed relief that Joe could walk now and that she could blame more of her misbehavior on him), has she had any others?  Honestly asking here.

I was hoping someone would point out to Gloria that she should have painted herself green and put padding in her costume to give her more of an apple shaped look. Shrek wasn't about promoting traditional hour glass figures as being the only kind of beauty.

But she was Fiona as non-ogre.

• Love 1

I love Sofia & Ed, love the characters they play, but I see less than no chemistry between them. Am I alone in this? Anybody else?

I don't see any between the characters. A few episodes back I was thinking I'd never seen alot of lust between them. There's affection with pecks, etc. but nothing too exciting.

It took me a little bit to get the Yard of Whores/Horrors joke. I blame the way the actors were saying it Ha Ha.

I was just glad to see Lily in a confessional, even if it was with Mitchell.  Other than this one and her solo one last season (when she expressed relief that Joe could walk now and that she could blame more of her misbehavior on him), has she had any others?  Honestly asking here.

One with Cam in the episode, I think "Party Crasher" from season 4, where Cam keeps accidentally hurting Lily. He talks about how silly he was being and they engage in playful shoving ("You're silly""No, you're silly") until he accidentally pushes her off her chair.

• Love 2
But she was Fiona as non-ogre.

I understood that; it's just that it would have been fun for Gloria to dare to be different than her norm. She's done that a bit this season and it would have been fun for her to try it on Halloween too, or at least have it suggested to her. On a different subject, Lilly's costume was terrific. for a person who can't see Waldo (even on the cover of the book) Cam did an amazing job making Lilly's costume.

• Love 1

Another episode where there was no interaction of the families.  IMO those are what make the episodes good.  Why were Jay and Gloria dressing up in elaborate costumes, to take baby Joe trick or treating?  Didn't care much for the Dunphey's storyline.  Thought Cam. Mitch and Lilly were the best part of this episode.  The Hobo line in the school yard was pretty funny.

• Love 1
Another episode where there was no interaction of the families.  IMO those are what make the episodes good.

Yes, I just saw the rerun where Lily drops the F-bomb.  We had three storylines but they all ended up in the last scene at the same wedding.  Unless I missed something, we never even figured out who the wedding was for and how the three sub-families even knew them.  It was just great in the end to see them all sitting together in the same scene.  Honestly, I think that is the magic of this show, and they are really dropping the ball (or pitching it over a shark) by not including the big family scene this season.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1