Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, Nicmar said:

Sorry for your Loss ☹️

I love Goats! How many do you have? I love watching the you tube channel Sunflower Creamery or farm they have alot of goats lol.

It’s my daughter’s goat , and today she will be getting a goat playmate. She and the dogs get along and run around and play together.

• Love 4

While doing some yard stuff this morning, I found a young squirrel with no fur on its back laying (lying? whatevs) up against the house. It looked dead but moved its ears. I emailed the nearest wildlife rescue but it's a weekend. A few minutes ago I went out and was relieved to see it was gone. Except it wasn't. It's now curled up sort of upright in a corner and I'm pretty sure it is now dead. I feel so sad for the poor little thing and useless for not helping it.

Sunday a.m. update: It's gone so either it had a miraculous recovery or something took it overnight.

Edited by ABay

One of my cats recently discovered the ceiling fan and SHE DOES NOT APPROVE. For two summers it has been on regularly, but now it is apparently the source of serious consternation. When she looks up and notices it, she puts her ears back and slinks out of the room as fast as she can. So no more ceiling fan, at least until she forgets to look up when she comes in the room.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

When Bandit showed up at my parents' house, it quickly became clear that while he was used to people, he had never lived inside.  The dishwasher, TV, ceiling fans, etc. were all scary.  Especially one of the living room ceiling fans; he'd be trotting across the lawn happily heading for the house, and just getting a glimpse through the bay window would make him stop and have to ponder just how badly he wanted a snack or cuddles.

It didn't take him long to get over that, but every once in a while something on the TV will still scare him over ten years later (to be fair to him, it is a very large TV).  He loves any show with horses or cows - he'll watch intently - and most things he pays no attention to, but sometimes an image will spook him and he'll leave that part of the room.  There's no discernible pattern, but the other night he booked it when a Tom Brady cologne commercial came on.  We were all so proud.  😀

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

Cat humans, I need your help! Please share your cats favorite toys that aren't boxes. My cats have balls and other small chase toys, kick toys, electric chase toys, so many toys and I need new ideas to engage them.

I try putting some up and others out but bow they are bored with all of them. Help!

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Cat humans, I need your help! Please share your cats favorite toys that aren't boxes. My cats have balls and other small chase toys, kick toys, electric chase toys, so many toys and I need new ideas to engage them.

I try putting some up and others out but bow they are bored with all of them. Help!

My cat likes to shred paper.  It's messy and loud, but it's totally her jam.  She also likes the foam bouncy balls for about 3 seconds after they bounce.  She's really mostly all about the paper.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My brat, er, cat, likes crumpled balls of paper and wine corks. Thanks to the pandemic, he's got quite a few of the latter.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

When my feline baby people were young, laser pointers and wand toys were a hit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Things with feathers and the stick end of a wand toy run under paper, especially the brown paper that comes in Chewy boxes. She also likes to lay on her back and catch the stick when I wave it around.

Have you turned the boxes on their sides with the top flap down so the cats can go in and pounce out at a toy or each other?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My cat loves to chase after a piece of twine. She also likes small balls, that keep disappearing as she hoards them under the couch and probably somewhere else too, judging by how many of them have disappeared over the years. She also loves to lie on any piece of paper, plastic bag or anything like that.

• Love 3

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I just need to do a massive toy hunt around the house, put them all in a box and start over. They love all their toys, one of them plays fetch, the other will take a catnip filled kicktoy off to the corner to murder it. They love boxes and bags. I have to be careful with string toys because the kicktoy murderer loves to eat strings. Any strings, all strings. So far we've avoided the vet and I'd like to keep it that way.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Mine liked bottle tops and nickels.  Nickels apparently spin better than other coins.  We could play spin (me)/trap (them) the nickel for hours had I not got tired of it and took the nickel away.

And shoes, Shlamey loved a shoe.  Of course that was the reason one of her middle names was Imelda. 🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

She also likes small balls, that keep disappearing as she hoards them under the couch and probably somewhere else too, judging by how many of them have disappeared over the years. She also loves to lie on any piece of paper, plastic bag or anything like that.

Our cats like this stuff, too  :). And string/ribbons. Give them a piece of string or ribbon and they'll just go nuts. 

Lily also likes to play with this little round green toy that she's kind of claimed as her favorite, and we also have a couple little stuffed fish toys that she and Mitsi love as well - they'll happily pounce on them and bat them around, and Lily likes to carry them in her mouth on occasion. 

It seems like it really doesn't take much to entertain a cat, honestly :p. 

• Love 3
On 9/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, theredhead77 said:

I actually made a cat toy that 9 out of 10 cats who got one liked.

It is a pipe cleaner and some plastic t beads. I will send pictures tomorrow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

My cat doesn't play as much now that he's older. He's always been a cheap date though. Some of his favorite "toys" have been the SmartyKat catnip mice that come in a 3pk from Walmart, straws, broken pens, toilet paper cores, bottle caps and as I found out recently plastic utensils.

I dropped a plastic utensil on the floor the other night and Captain went to town with it acting more excited then I had seen him in awhile. He's played with it a couple times since too. It got him moving which is good for him health/urinary wise so I've decided to leave it out to see if he bats it around again.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 8

Beautiful pups!

OK, I need y’all’s opinion:  I’ve decided to try another pet fountain, and I’ve narrowed it down to two:  the Seaside stainless-steel  and the Creekside ceramic .  The Seaside is cheaper, and most likely easier for me to pick up as I’m disabled, but I’m afraid that it would be easy for Shadow to push around or knock over the tower, as it doesn’t seem to be attached to the base.  The Creekside seems more stable, being ceramic, but I wouldn’t put it past myself dropping it.  I’ve already resigned myself to her dipping her paw into the water; I plan to set it on a cafeteria tray with maybe a puppy pad.

Thoughts?

• Love 2

I just clicked on both links, and the Seaside said it was out of stock, if that influences your decision.

Those are both so very different from the kind we have that's it's hard for me to form an opinion. We have the Cat Mate, which is plastic (since neither of your choices is, I'm assuming that's not something you want) and as a material might be lightest of all for you to pick up. But because it's three levels, it is bottom-heavy, which might make it harder for your cat to knock over. Of the two you're considering, I think I'd go with the one that's easier for you to manage (the out-of-stock one, of course).

No help at all, right? I'd just say make sure it's returnable if it ends up being not great.

P.S. I use cafeteria trays for all kinds of things (under plants on the floor for one), so a big thumbs-up for that idea.

• Love 2

I had the Pioneer Pet Raindrop Stainless Steel Pet Drinking Fountain for my late cat with chronic kidney disease. My cats now are completely uninterested in water, but they eat solely wet food, so I assume they get enough moisture.

The fountain was sturdy and wasn't able to be tipped over by my cat. I washed the stainless parts in the dishwasher and hand washed the plastic parts (pump and housing) weekly with dish soap and a toothbrush. The pump completely disassembles, which is important because it gets gunked up with cat hair. Non-brand-name replacement filters are inexpensive.

The cat can drink from the spouting water or the open bowl.

image.thumb.png.da700d9ae408a86dd5b3d5c66a7c66e9.png

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

My cats love to chase/hit the dum-dum lollipops from the bank.  I think they like watching them spin around.   Also mesh laundry hampers like this.  One cat likes to lay on her back while I throw toys/paper wads on the “roof” of the hamper, then hooks her nails in the mesh, pulls down and then lets go, launching the toy in the air.   And both cats agree that adding machine paper rolls make the best paper wads. 

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 5

Our apartment complex installed new windows this summer. I am a nervous freak about the cats getting out when the windows are open—they slide open horizontally—despite there being screens. Well, I opened the living room window wide this afternoon, thinking maybe I just need to relax a little because these new screens are sturdy. I was in the living room with the cats.

And yet...while I was on a Google Duo call with my friend, Erin decided to scale the screen to the top of the window. So now there are holes in the screen. And now the windows are closed and will only be open two inches from here on out.

This is why we can't have nice things!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, smittykins said:

I tried the CatIt Flower fountain a few months ago, but she managed to pull out the center section where the flower sits(seen at 1:04 in the video) after a week.  She’s a stinker. 😁

I also have a Cat-It fountain but they won't use it if the center flower is in it, so it just bubbles away. Flowing water isn't the issue, HRC (his royal catness) demands to drink from the bathroom sink, and behaves as if there is no other water available to him (he also drinks from other water sources, he's just being prissy).

• LOL 7

I can only raise my windows about 3-4 inches because Shadow likes to do the scratchy-scratchy, especially when the neighbors’ cats are roaming around(one of them even jumped onto the outside of the screen a couple summers ago).  I’m a renter, and I can’t afford to have the screens replaced.  I’m probably going to lose my security deposit because she’s destroyed the blinds.

• Love 2

My windows have retractable screens (because, even when made to be as "invisible" as possible, I don't want to look at them, plus they catch dust, so I like only having them extended when I need them), so the screens are more easily pushed out.

Maddie and Baxter were fine with them, but when I adopted Riley I wasn't sure.  Maddie and Bax had plenty of supervised outside time with me, and immediately came back when called if they ventured too far (I know - almost unheard of for cats, and I somehow had two of them!), and Riley seemed to have been indoor-outdoor in her previous home (I adopted her from the shelter when she was probably about six; her owner had died and the family had dumped the five cats), but she was so very scared of the unknown.

So I didn't know if she'd even get curious enough in the first place to test the screen, but I was afraid of how she might panic if she did and got out.  I spent many months with the windows closed (oh, my AC bill that first summer!), and then many more months only opening windows during my waking hours, just in case she - despite showing no inclination towards busting through a screen, even when a bird, squirrel, etc. was outside - might get the urge while I was sleeping.

Thankfully, it all worked out.  She's less interested in looking out windows than any cat I've ever had, and when she does she seems to regard the screen as an impenetrable barrier like glass.  I'd have just hermetically sealed myself inside here if need be for her safety, but I'm quite glad it didn't come to that!

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That makes me mad.   Out of respect for that pet owner who had passed away, the living relatives should have done all that they could to find homes for those pets.  Of course in a perfect world all pet owners would have a plan for someone to take care of their pets just in case they are no longer able to do so.

They were all varying degrees of disasters when they came into the shelter - one was euthanized, two were deemed unadoptable and transferred to a sanctuary, and two were put through the socialization program; five months later, Riley was still there, cowering in a box inside her cage - so, while I don't know how much time passed between the owner dying and the family bringing the cats to the shelter, I don't think they had a very good home while the owner was alive.

When my sweet Baby Boo was alive one of his favorite "toys" was what I called his "springy bouncy toy". It was simply a tie from a loaf of bread or a part of a pipe cleaner that I coiled around a finger and tossed to him, it bounced and he chased it, batted at it and it bounced more. A very cheap pleasure for a good kitty!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, EighteenTwelve said:

The cats made me cry a little yesterday.  The floors are finally cold enough for Quirk to sleep on the couch, and Lily discovered her there and curled up with her, and Quirk washed the hell out of Lily's ears and they fell asleep in a pile.  It was so like Lily and Snip used to be that I melted.  It's not entirely the same, though, because Quirk thinks there's something going on if I get up, so she has to get up too and come see what I'm up to and whether it's edible.

cats.jpg

Well, then you obviously shouldn't get up. Unless there is something edible.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Last weekend I was chatting with a couple who stopped me to spend some time with Norman. They told me that they had a female golden at one point, and told me some stories about her.

He also had spent time in his life training service dogs, specifically seeing eye dogs. So he spent a lot of time with Goldens and Labs.  As he's petting Norm, he says "This is a great dog. You can see the intelligence in his eyes."

Norm:

D63194C9-EC52-4EAC-B055-94D3E1C66737.jpeg

"I growled at an inflatable ghost decoration on my walk this morning. It was scary!"

Ha! My pit mix Boo lost her mind over an inflatable Christmas penguin (I have no idea) in my neighbor's yard last year. Barking, growling, jumping around on the leash. I tried to take her across the street so she could see it up close and calm down and she was NOT having it. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 9/28/2021 at 7:26 PM, praeceptrix said:

My brat, er, cat, likes crumpled balls of paper and wine corks. Thanks to the pandemic, he's got quite a few of the latter.

they have this paper sounding bags hat covered in some of fabric that the cat can into and play or what not. I saw them at Petsmart and they come in patterns. they are called cat sack toys. https://www.petsmart.com/cat/toys/tunnels/whisker-city-meow-crinkle-sack-cat-toy-43057.html?cgid=200504

• Love 1