Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm sorry, too. He sounded like a wonderful cat, and I'm glad you've got those good memories to reflect on and cherish.

I love the cat toy idea you came up with. That sounds neat :). 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

We lost our cat, Malcolm this morning . He was in bad health and we had been expecting this for 16 months, it it is still hard. He was 13.

Good memories: he was an alpha cat in his prime, his will to live battled his body but the body eventually won. It it is a blessing but still… 

He put his “toys” in the food bowl: once it was a baby scorpion. His favorite toys were pipe cleaners, ear plugs, and binder clips. Every now and then he was interested in a actual cat toy. I made a cat toy with beads and a pipe cleaner since he inspired me. Given them to about 15 friends who are cat owners and only one reported that their cat wasn’t interested. Now this is the same cat who bites everyone.

My hubby named the toy “Malcolm’s Paw”

His brother/litter mate has had a rough day but might but is sound asleep on my lap, so that’s good.

There are never words that suffice, but trust that you have all my sympathy.  I'm facing the same sadness very soon.  Hug his brother double tonight~

• Love 4

@Stats Queen My condolences on Malcolm's death.  While there's the little bit of comfort derived from his death not being out of the blue, it still happened before the typical lifespan and, more importantly, you still lost someone you adored.

Back when a friend left out a big bowl of dry food for her three cats, one of them would hide toys - toys by his designation, not according to what she'd purchased, so things like the plastic ring removed when opening a carton of milk or juice - in the mound of food, so for a couple of days after he died, his "toy" placement was revealed.

This sounds similar, and I hope in time you'll come to smile as much as cry about the changes to the food bowl, and eventually do more laughing.

I'm glad his brother seems to already be taking comfort; my best to all of you.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

We lost our cat, Malcolm this morning . He was in bad health and we had been expecting this for 16 months, it it is still hard. He was 13.

Good memories: he was an alpha cat in his prime, his will to live battled his body but the body eventually won. It it is a blessing but still… 

He put his “toys” in the food bowl: once it was a baby scorpion. His favorite toys were pipe cleaners, ear plugs, and binder clips. Every now and then he was interested in a actual cat toy. I made a cat toy with beads and a pipe cleaner since he inspired me. Given them to about 15 friends who are cat owners and only one reported that their cat wasn’t interested. Now this is the same cat who bites everyone.

My hubby named the toy “Malcolm’s Paw”

His brother/litter mate has had a rough day but might but is sound asleep on my lap, so that’s good.

I am sorry @Stats Queen. I know you gave him a good life. I am glad you have his brother to comfort you.

• Love 4

All of you are amazing - thank you for all your kind words and love. It’s so nice to connect with all of you.

We still have three kittens in our back yard which has helped ease the pain. It’s really hard on my hubby.

• Love 10

Cosmo is okay, they think he stepped on some glass and cut up his paw pretty badly. 

So a pain med, and a baby powder type thing to shake on the paw to keep it dry. 

He should be fine soon, but the cone is so that he doesn’t keep licking it. 

He can be cone free for meals and walks. 

I took him in yesterday because he was limping since Monday morning and when I tried to touch his paw he growled. (forgive the dog hair in the corner)

IMG_3677.jpeg.527ccad17679228de8dba79a6f775f8c.jpeg

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cosmo is okay, they think he stepped on some glass and cut up his paw pretty badly. 

So a pain med, and a baby powder type thing to shake on the paw to keep it dry. 

He should be fine soon, but the cone is so that he doesn’t keep licking it. 

He can be cone free for meals and walks. 

I took him in yesterday because he was limping since Monday morning and when I tried to touch his paw he growled. (forgive the dog hair in the corner)

IMG_3677.jpeg.527ccad17679228de8dba79a6f775f8c.jpeg

Oh, poor baby!  That must have been very painful for him to growl.  I hope it heals quickly.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Oh, poor baby!  That must have been very painful for him to growl.  I hope it heals quickly.

I had never heard him make that sound before, in all the years I had known him or in the 6months he has been here. I am glad they could give him something for the pain poor baby. He can enjoy his peanut butter with his pill.

• Love 12
(edited)

Chester's very long battle with cancer will end in a few hours; although skin and bones, he's maintained quality of life for nearly two years longer than anyone thought he would, but today his body just wore out.  He'll be euthanized at home, on his favorite spot on my parents' bed. 

He stopped purring a few days ago, so I knew he was in the final stretch, but it still hits like a ton of bricks (I love my parents' cats like they're my own). He and my mom are super close - I know he hung on as long as he did for her - so she has to keep leaving the room sobbing to avoid upsetting him.

Poor Bandit; this will be the second brother he's lost.  Chester refused to play with him, but they were cuddle buddies (in fact, Chester frequently slept partially atop Bandit, who just rolled with it).

I hate this.  I've said goodbye to too many cats.  It's worth going through this heartbreak over and over because life without cats is unthinkable to me (although I think Bandit will be my parents' last cat, given their ages and health), but it's horrible.

I'm heading over to my parents' house shortly, but wanted to let y'all know since you've heard about his little sweater-clad self over the years.  Here's Chester in healthier form:

Chester as Fainting Goat.JPG

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Chester's very long battle with cancer will end in a few hours; although skin and bones, he'd maintained quality of life for nearly two years longer than anyone thought he would, but today his body just wore out.  He'll be euthanized at home, on his favorite spot on my parents' bed. 

He stopped purring a few days ago, so I knew this was coming, but it still hits like a ton of bricks (I love my parents' cats like they're my own). He and my mom are super close - I know he hung on as long as he did for her - so she has to keep leaving the room sobbing. 

Poor Bandit; this will be the second brother he's lost.  Chester refused to play with him, but they were cuddle buddies.

I hate this.  I've said goodbye to too many cats.  It's worth going through this heartbreak over and over because life without cats is unthinkable to me (although I think Bandit will be my parents' last cat, given their ages and health), but it's horrible.

I'm heading over to my parents' house shortly, but wanted to let y'all know since you've heard about his little sweater-clad self over the years.  Here he is in healthier form:

I am so sorry @Bastet. Chester has had a beautiful life with such loving people. I understand how you feel, I couldn’t imagine a life without cats either- I lost two of mine last year and it doesn’t get easier. 

Much love. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Chester's very long battle with cancer will end in a few hours; although skin and bones, he'd maintained quality of life for nearly two years longer than anyone thought he would, but today his body just wore out.  He'll be euthanized at home, on his favorite spot on my parents' bed. 

I'm so sorry. Wishing you and your parents strength to get through this. He had a wonderful life, I'm sure of that.

• Love 8

Oh, @Bastet, I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear this.  My heart breaks for all of you left behind, human and feline.  As others have said dear Chester had a wonderful life and could have have asked for a better family to take care of him.  I have no doubt he knew that and adored you all in return.  His love will always be a part of you all.

• Love 8

Oh @Bastet, I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve enjoyed your stories about Chester, he was a very special cat and quite the fighter. I’m glad that you were able to have him at home, and that his last days were spent with the people he loved and that loved him so very much. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Thanks, everyone.  I'm back home, and completely worn out, but it was so peaceful.  My mom wound up sitting in the recliner with him, so the last thing he ever knew was being cuddled against her chest.  My dad, Bandit, and I were all there.  This is the first time it has worked out to do it at home, and I'm thankful for that, and for the fact the final stage of his illness (systemic organ failure) happened suddenly - yesterday and today were as different as night and day.  But he still talked a little, and he rubbed my chin when I took him outside for some final sunshine and fresh air.

When he first got sick (IBD) eight years ago, his owners dumped him at the shelter rather than dealing with it.  That horror wound up being the best thing that ever happened to him, though, because he wound up with us and was loved and pampered right through to the end.  He was delightfully odd in ways we'd never seen before, and very even-keeled, just observing so many things without any reaction, so we joked that he was here from another planet, collecting data.  I'll miss the little alien.

What a huge loss.! Chester had a wonderful personality.  You all gave him a happy life and I'm sure he knew what a lucky cat he was.  Those of us who can't live without cats set ourselves up to have heartbreak after heartbreak, but it is always worth it.

I've had several losses in recent years and early last year started over with two babies.

• Love 10
On 7/31/2021 at 2:38 PM, Bastet said:

Chester's very long battle with cancer will end in a few hours; although skin and bones, he's maintained quality of life for nearly two years longer than anyone thought he would, but today his body just wore out.  He'll be euthanized at home, on his favorite spot on my parents' bed. 

He stopped purring a few days ago, so I knew he was in the final stretch, but it still hits like a ton of bricks (I love my parents' cats like they're my own). He and my mom are super close - I know he hung on as long as he did for her - so she has to keep leaving the room sobbing to avoid upsetting him.

Poor Bandit; this will be the second brother he's lost.  Chester refused to play with him, but they were cuddle buddies (in fact, Chester frequently slept partially atop Bandit, who just rolled with it).

I'm heading over to my parents' house shortly, but wanted to let y'all know since you've heard about his little sweater-clad self over the years.  Here's Chester in healthier form:

I am so sorry @Bastet. We lost our boy Malcolm early Monday morning. He’s been on death’s door for 16 months and his will lasted a lot longer than his body. He was 13 and his litter mate, Jack, is healthy but missing him. 
I think knowing the end is in sight is better than a sudden loss. That’s only because you have sort of started the grieving process. But when it happens, the pain is still awful. This past week the house itself feels different because one soul is gone.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:31 PM, Stats Queen said:

I am so sorry @Bastet. We lost our boy Malcolm early Monday morning. He’s been on death’s door for 16 months and his will lasted a lot longer than his body. He was 13 and his litter mate, Jack, is healthy but missing him. 
I think knowing the end is in sight is better than a sudden loss. That’s only because you have sort of started the grieving process. But when it happens, the pain is still awful. This past week the house itself feels different because one soul is gone.

I'm sorry for your loss.  So much sad news.  I hope Jack is dealing with the loss of his litter mate.

• Love 3

89C1FD8F-ABEB-4CE9-8EB1-D81DC9C40BAB.thumb.jpeg.8a38d1b88e1233566d7ebaf4b743d4ed.jpeg

I don’t have a dog, just cats, but thought that this might be information may be of interest to some of you. (It looks wonky because I copied someone else’s picture of it) 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 8/4/2021 at 7:36 AM, Mindthinkr said:

89C1FD8F-ABEB-4CE9-8EB1-D81DC9C40BAB.thumb.jpeg.8a38d1b88e1233566d7ebaf4b743d4ed.jpeg

I don’t have a dog, just cats, but thought that this might be information may be of interest to some of you. (It looks wonky because I copied someone else’s picture of it) 

Thank you. I always buy the natural peanut butter because I prefer the taste, but I did know before Cosmo came to me that he cannot have artificial sweeteners. So it just works out that I can give what I have to him. As a vegetarian cat lady, having a pet that wants my food is a new thing!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 8/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Cosmo is now cone free, he still has a day and a half of pain meds left, but his paw isnt red any more and he is moving gracefully again. My Mom had pity for him with the "cone of safety" (her phrase) she bought him a bunch of jerky treats and he is very please about that. 

Edited to add a photo. 

image.jpg

Cosmo gives me joy.

• Love 13

Okay, this is weird and I'd like to get other opinions.  Cat people, you know how some cats will make a chirpy noise at birds when they watch them from the window?  Well, I have one that does that, and since a couple of weeks ago, he's started to make that same noise at me when I sneeze.  He'll do it for the first couple of sneezes, but if there's more than that, he'll just give me a dirty look.  Fortunately my antihistamine keeps things pretty much under control.  We already knew he was weird, but I can't figure out what made him start doing this now.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, this is weird and I'd like to get other opinions.  Cat people, you know how some cats will make a chirpy noise at birds when they watch them from the window?  Well, I have one that does that, and since a couple of weeks ago, he's started to make that same noise at me when I sneeze.  He'll do it for the first couple of sneezes, but if there's more than that, he'll just give me a dirty look.  Fortunately my antihistamine keeps things pretty much under control.  We already knew he was weird, but I can't figure out what made him start doing this now.

I love to play the cat game of Why Do They Do That.  My speculation is that the chirpy sounds is expressing aggression and your cat does not like your sneezes.  I could be wrong, but they never explain themselves.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just guessing, but I'm thinking that what your cat is doing is imitating you because he loves you and that's what cats do. I admire his ingenuity: if he doesn't actually have to sneeze too, that sound is probably the closest he can voluntarily get.

After too many sneezes (in his opinion, of course), he's probably thinking "Ok, that's enough -- you're on your own."

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

Just guessing, but I'm thinking that what your cat is doing is imitating you because he loves you and that's what cats do. 

Yeah, I've heard something about cats doing things like that - it's called "mirroring". Whatever the human does, they want to do it, too :D. I think, too, depending on what human action they're trying to imitate, it helps with their sense of routine (they may eat around the same time you do, for instance).

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

it's called "mirroring". Whatever the human does, they want to do it, too

I think this is true, because my cat didn't start knocking things off shelves till I started doing it first.  😉

• LOL 16