Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, emma675 said:

That doesn't and shouldn't matter. You should not have to feel unsafe in your own home because of a neighbor's dog. You should not have to adjust your routine or worry about opening the door at the right time because of a neighbor's dog. It's your house, your property, and they need to control their damn dog. Sorry, but I get worked up over people who cannot control their animals.

No, I agree with you. This dog has attacked other dogs, I may or may not have mentioned that, and every other neighbor walks their dog on the opposite mall or on the other side of the street.

So these people are putting the burden on you and everyone else in the neighborhood to adjust your behavior because they're unwilling to do what they're supposed to do. And that will continue until all of you decide to use the law and whatever other means you have to push back on them. I hope you do. That's no way to live.

Besides, if they're really elderly, how hard would it be to knock them over?  😈

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

So these people are putting the burden on you and everyone else in the neighborhood to adjust your behavior because they're unwilling to do what they're supposed to do. And that will continue until all of you decide to use the law and whatever other means you have to push back on them. I hope you do. That's no way to live.

Besides, if they're really elderly, how hard would it be to knock them over?  😈

Now that's just mean 😂 (Besides, the dog can knock the man half of the neighbors over if he pulls even a little on the leash. The man is 91, woman is 80s - even though she likes to tell everyone she's in her seventies - and she makes him walk the dog/take him outside, usually.)

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1

Thank you again, everyone.

I haven't been able to go day yet, where I don't suddenly start crying; even if I'm working. Or watching something. A memory will just blip in my brain, and I can't stop the waterworks.

While Ralphie was my niece's fur baby, and not mine, he was mine. Does that make sense? Whenever I would visit him, he knew his hooman slave had arrived, and I spent as much time as I could with him, and my niece didn't mind, because she knew I loved him. And my other niece also told me that he knew I loved him. I remind myself, he's met Micky, the Golden I loved and spoiled in my college years--who belonged to my favorite professor. They're best buds now. That eases the pain a little.

Sometimes I'm good with words; most times not; I can't express that there's this giant hole inside me now, and dammit, just typing this has set me off again. Sorry.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

@GHScorpiosRule, I can sympathize with what you are going through. When I said goodbye to my best cat Emma, I cried every day for weeks, then it was every few days, and now it’s occasionally (3 years later). It sucks, and it’s hard and you should allow yourself to feel whatever you feel for as long as you need to. This was sudden and just happened. You will feel better over time, still sad at times but it won’t be so raw. 

• Love 11

@GHScorpiosRule I feel your pain. When my Baby Boo crossed the rainbow bridge 3 years ago, I cried a lot, then a bit less then only on special occasions. I haven't been able to bring another cat into my home but a family of ferrals have made me their mama. I love them to death, but they are wild and run from me even when I am putting food out. But watching their antics in the yard brings smiles back to my face and warm my heart.  

You will find peace at some point and may be able to open your heart once again. It is a process and it takes time.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

@GHScorpiosRule I feel your pain. When my Baby Boo crossed the rainbow bridge 3 years ago, I cried a lot, then a bit less then only on special occasions. I haven't been able to bring another cat into my home but a family of ferrals have made me their mama. I love them to death, but they are wild and run from me even when I am putting food out. But watching their antics in the yard brings smiles back to my face and warm my heart.  

You will find peace at some point and may be able to open your heart once again. It is a process and it takes time.

It does take time, we loss our first two cats (litter mates) 10 months apart. Lennier was my soul mate, we spooned at night and I could drum his belly. It takes a lot of time. This was in 2011 and I still dream we are spooning together. 

• Love 8

Story time!!!

Halloween is my fav holiday so I got Cosmo two new squeak toys (a Mummy and a pumpkin spice latte cup). 

We went out for our evening potty break and an OPOSSUM was on my back steps!! I saw Cosmo chasing it before I saw it and then I saw that big ass TAIL!

I went back downstairs to tell my Mom what happened and show her. It was still on the stairs behind the slats. 

8D8D994D-B852-4A9D-97B1-77BC22381E1D.jpeg

46B342F5-1067-4D37-A796-C5E337AE22EE.jpeg

BED3A40D-4217-4D3D-9491-86957AA97B13.jpeg

A78A889E-21C1-485C-AA08-E926FA77F2D4.jpeg

C4F387D8-96B7-40A3-8B5E-AD9E5733899B.jpeg

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

We went out for our evening potty break and an OPOSSUM was on my back steps!! I saw Cosmo chasing it before I saw it and then I saw that big ass TAIL!

Heh. 

A few years ago, I looked out on my back porch and saw my lab Danny (see below) just sitting there, about 8 feet away from the door. 

It was in the fall, probably 7:30 PM, and it was dark out. He had been out in the yard doing his business. It was unusual that he was sitting there. Typically he would just be standing right by the door waiting to come in. (Again, see below for what that looks like.) So I turned on the light and said to him, "let's go!"  He stood up and trotted into the house. 

Under his butt where he was sitting was an opossum. It was on it's back, head tilted to the side, eyes closed, tongue out. It was also clearly still breathing.  So I turned off the porch light and closed the blinds. Fifteen minutes later I looked out on the porch and it was gone. Yep. The possum was playing possum when Danny picked it up and brought it to the porch. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I think opossums are so weird looking they're cute.  They come through my backyard at night, and years ago I had one living in my firewood stack.  She/he had big ears for its head, so I named it Mickey.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

One scared the ever-living shit out of me one night many, many years ago. I was a teenager still living at home, and my mom and I heard a noise on the carport. We thought it was probably a dog getting into the trash cans we had out there. She told me to run it off, but when I opened the wood door and looked down through the screen door, I saw directly in front of me a huge white face with beady black eyes staring up at me. I slammed the wood door in terror. My mom still laughs about that.

• Love 5

We have a feral cat population. A few year ago, Callie wanted to be everyone’s friend. A poor opossum came to eat out of the cat food bowls. Callie kept running to it rubbing again the poor creature trying to make friends. It was funny but I did feel bad for the poor creature.

• Love 3

So I just returned from the vet where I sent my Louis the cat over the Rainbow Bridge...and although it was the right, responsible thing to do, I am so sad. He was 19 years old (we think...came to us from the shelter with a guesstimated age of 12-13) and until a year ago was doing great despite some issues left from his life-before-us (a wonky hip that may have been the result of being hit by a car or kicked really hard). Unfortunately starting last October he became increasingly incontinent and then his hip issues were exacerbated by arthritis so he was only making it to the litter box about 25% of the time and basically just eating, sleeping, drinking insane amounts of water (yes, his kidney were going too) and looking miserable. The last few months he could not groom himself properly so I was giving him washcloth baths with daily brushing which he did not like at all. So I had to say goodbye and hopefully we will meet again along with all my other beloved cats that have gone before us. He was a very good and brave cat!

@isalicat So sorry for your loss.  Thank you for adopting an older kitty who are too often overlooked and giving him a nice long life filled with love.  I am sure we will all meet our pets again.  I like to think that someday I will get to see all the animals I have loved in my life - mine and other peoples!

• Love 7

I'm sorry to hear about the death of Louis, @isalicat.  His suffering is over, but yours is intense.  These early days are the hardest, when the absence of your pet punches you in the heart, and you'll be in my thoughts as you muddle through them. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm sorry to hear about the death of Louis, @isalicat.  His suffering is over, but yours is intense.  These early days are the hardest, when the absence of your pet punches you in the heart, and you'll be in my thoughts as you muddle through them. 

Thank you so much. My husband died almost two years ago and having Louis here was my main source of companionship up until today. Now the house feels really, really empty.

I will definitely be adopting (from the local shelter, of course) another cat or two (I'll probably look for a bonded older pair) in a month or two. I can't imagine life without a cat (I was 16 when I left home for college and adopted my first cat within a week - my parents do not like cats so we always had a dog, which is fine, but I'm a cat person!) and there are so many sitting in the cages waiting for a proper home.

• Love 7

So sorry for your loss @isalicat, it is always hard to lose a dear pet. Take comfort in knowing he is no longer in pain. Your pain will eventually pass, lost my Baby Boo several years ago, it took me a long time not to be missing him every day. I will be looking for him at the Rainbow Bridge.

(((hugs)))

• Love 6
On 9/18/2021 at 12:18 PM, isalicat said:

So I just returned from the vet where I sent my Louis the cat over the Rainbow Bridge...and although it was the right, responsible thing to do, I am so sad. He was 19 years old (we think...came to us from the shelter with a guesstimated age of 12-13) and until a year ago was doing great despite some issues left from his life-before-us (a wonky hip that may have been the result of being hit by a car or kicked really hard). Unfortunately starting last October he became increasingly incontinent and then his hip issues were exacerbated by arthritis so he was only making it to the litter box about 25% of the time and basically just eating, sleeping, drinking insane amounts of water (yes, his kidney were going too) and looking miserable. The last few months he could not groom himself properly so I was giving him washcloth baths with daily brushing which he did not like at all. So I had to say goodbye and hopefully we will meet again along with all my other beloved cats that have gone before us. He was a very good and brave cat!

I am so sorry. You gave him a wonderful life. 

22 hours ago, isalicat said:

Thank you so much. My husband died almost two years ago and having Louis here was my main source of companionship up until today. Now the house feels really, really empty.

I will definitely be adopting (from the local shelter, of course) another cat or two (I'll probably look for a bonded older pair) in a month or two. I can't imagine life without a cat (I was 16 when I left home for college and adopted my first cat within a week - my parents do not like cats so we always had a dog, which is fine, but I'm a cat person!) and there are so many sitting in the cages waiting for a proper home.

How kind of you to open your home and heart again so soon after your loss. Yes there are always more cats to give our love too. I like bonded pairs to- Blake is my last cat standing, when he goes I’ll get another bonded pair. I also couldn’t imagine life without a cat. 

• Love 7

Most sincere condolences @isalicat.  I hope your pain is brief.  It really is difficult to understand why the creatures who often give us the most unconditional love and companionship, are here for the least amount of time.

I'm not a particularly religious person, but I've always felt that to be rather profound, like there's a lesson there if we'll see it.  

Go get 'em Louis.  You've earned it.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, isalicat said:

I'm only a fairly new pet owner and except for when the only cat I had in childhood went missing, I haven't had to deal with the loss of a pet yet. But you all sharing your grief here is helping me to prepare a bit for that inevitable loss. So, thank you, @isalicat for sharing. You have my condolences for your loss. You gave him a home in his later years and I'm sure he had a wonderful life with you despite hating the washcloth baths.

• Love 8
On 9/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, Bastet said:

@JustHereForFood I'm glad you took her in, and that the surgery went well.  I know it's strange not having her around (even when they're just at the vet for several hours getting a dental cleaning, it's weird!).

This happened to us yesterday!  Our dog was at the vet for several hours for a dental cleaning. We missed her little collar jingles. So weird.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

This happened to us yesterday!  Our dog was at the vet for several hours for a dental cleaning. We missed her little collar jingles. So weird.

Yes this happened to me Friday- I dropped Cosmo off at the groomer, and rather than going to the coffee shop down the street I just came home (there was another dog in front of him). It was the first time since he came to me that I was home without him. Home was so quiet! Blake was sleeping peacefully in his box. 

Photo of Cosmo post groom. He feels so soft and fluffy! He looks thinner too. 

DE79B65D-8B26-4D84-8F7A-3AA60BE9A102.jpeg

• Love 23

Being a cat, Riley spends a good bit of time sleeping, so the 99.9% of the time she's home consists of many hours that I don't see or hear her.  But, boy, if I have to leave her at the vet, her absence is something I'm aware of the whole time she's gone.  And with a cat-less house due to death, the emptiness becomes an almost palpable entity.

@isalicat, I'm glad to hear for your sake and that of whatever cats are lucky enough to become your next companions you'll soon be ready.  I hope when the time comes you find a bonded pair, but, if not, I've had great luck adopting two at random - they were both just so happy to have a home, they dealt with each other fairly quickly (Baxter adored Maddie, Maddie tolerated Baxter - and then there were adorable moments where she admitted she loved him [and she was very protective if something scared him]).

• Love 11
On 9/18/2021 at 10:33 PM, isalicat said:

My condolences for your loss. It's admirable that you will be adopting again so soon, especially older cats. Hope you all make some great memories together.

• Love 6
On 8/26/2021 at 5:43 PM, GaT said:

This is my cat O.C. She was old & pretty sick for a while, & last night she suddenly died. One minute she was perfectly normal, & the next she wasn't. I'm sad.

3ppuUZ4h.jpg

Sorry for your Loss ☹️

On 9/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, ginger90 said:

Nala and Luna……..screenshots from a video, so they’re blurry. They check each other out, and then they run!

987790EE-5F88-455B-97CD-9638F1EAEF37.jpeg

76BD3EDD-71D7-4712-8567-14AF5FF13641.jpeg

I love Goats! How many do you have? I love watching the you tube channel Sunflower Creamery or farm they have alot of goats lol.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

What the heck did they get into?

Yeah, I'm going to need an inventory of the evidence.  Because it looks to me like they decided they needed an afternoon snack of apples dusted in paprika and then decided it would be more fun to just roll around in it instead.

57 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Are we going to force them to testify, or will they plead the Fifth?

I think they're career criminals who know the only answer you ever give the cops (Kathleen Madigan fans will recognize this, but it's true):  "I do not recall, and I need an attorney."

The evidence is all circumstantial - maybe their DNA has been on the spice bottle since they helped carry in groceries.  Or maybe it was placed there today, but there was an ant invasion, and they'd read on Facebook that sprinkling spice all around the room will kill them and deter all future invaders, so they were just helping.  So can bosawks prove the necessary mens rea of the charged crime beyond a reasonable doubt?  Risk jury nullification because of those cute faces?  Nah, there's a very generous plea bargain in their future.

• LOL 19
  • Love 1

In reference to the above matter pertaining to the case of the great paprika, apple massacre of 2021 the defendants will need to be tried separately.

The reason for this request for separation by the defendant known as Harper is the discovery of evidence during the defendants morning “constitutional” pointing guilt towards the above defendant known as Alli…..

Edited by bosawks
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1

I see now that those are apple chunks, so I guess that does make it a meal of sorts.

But I think what's absolutely crucial to determine is how they got the lid off the paprika jar. Because unless I'm totally mistaken, this can only mean that one of your dogs has opposable thumbs. And that . . . is terrifying.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I see now that those are apple chunks, so I guess that does make it a meal of sorts.

But I think what's absolutely crucial to determine is how they got the lid off the paprika jar. Because unless I'm totally mistaken, this can only mean that one of your dogs has opposable thumbs. And that . . . is terrifying.

Or maybe just opposable teeth?  I would subpoena their dental records...

• LOL 13