Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Inside The Bubble

The speech patterns on this show drive me insane, and it was especially bad tonight. Each character just HAS to launch into little monologue, getting louder as they go on, and punctuated with hard. stops. at. the. END! And if two characters are talking (ex. Abby and Fitz), then one must keep rambling while the other increases in volume while repeating the same line (ex. "Give her what she wants.: "But-" "GIVE HER WHAT SHE WANTS!") It's a shame because this show has some really amazing actors who could deliver dialogue in much better ways, but I guess this is a Shonda mandate. Anyway, it's distracting. DIS-TRACT-ING! 

Still enjoying seeing Olivia and Fitz apart, they are much more tolerable that way. Mellie continues to be awesome but otherwise I wasn't crazy about this episode. The case of the week was kind of boring, and the male prostitute Michael is just not attractive enough to hold my interest. Man, sorry for the whining! I swear sometimes I enjoy this show. I did love Abby saying "Ethically? You, rigger of elections?" and Jake initially refusing to go to dinner because she is not his girlfriend.  I love when people call out Olivia because so many worship her. Actually, Abby was all around pretty great tonight and I used to dislike her. She, Jake and Mellie are my MVPs this week. Hate to say it because I used to not mind them, but I would not miss Huck or Quinn at all if they disappeared. 

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 9

The speech patterns on this show drive my insane, and it was especially bad tonight. Each character just HAS to launch into little monologue, getting louder as they go on, and punctuated with hard. stops. at. the. END! And if two characters are talking (ex. Abby and Fitz), then one must keep rambling while the other increases in volume while repeating the same line (ex. "Give her what she wants.: "But-" "GIVE HER WHAT SHE WANTS!") It's a shame because this show has some really amazing actors who could deliver dialogue in much better ways, but I guess this is a Shonda mandate. Anyway, it's distracting. DIS-TRACT-ING!

It's Shonda Speak - it's identical on all her shows and it's just so lazy and hackish. But millions of people think it's Deep and Powerful, or something, so yeah. I don't think there are any amazing actors on this show - not even passably good ones - but even Meryl Streep and Daniel Day Lewis couldn't make this idiotic dialogue/speaking style work.

I wasn't even paying attention to this episode. If B613 captured me and tortured me to give a summary of what happened, I couldn't do it. This show has become boring.

• Love 2
Guest Accused Dingo

Hey Millie should get a job as a detective. I would watch an entire show of her solving crimes. Plus she is the only one who knows "Gabby's" name is actually Abby. Speaking of which, I really liked the scene between Abby and Fitz when he appoligize to her but she said what he really needed to be sorry for was not knowing her name.

Hey, Cyrus paying for sex is illegal but on the plus side it is not the worst thing you have ever done and if this is the worst the Lizzie can get on you I will be very disappointed if you don't laugh in her face when she tries to blackmail you with it.

That awkward moment when you have dinner with the man who threw you in a hole and tortured you to be nice to your not girlfriend...and then you blackmail him with a black op murder plot...I mean really awkward dinner.

David is finally in the bubble. I am loving him and his black ops files of blackmail.

I know Quinn isn't popular on this site but I really liked her here. I enjoyed her scenes with Charlie plus she did have a point when she yelled at Olivia and Huck. She was the one who kept in touch with everyone and found Olvia and she went missing for 24 hours and no one bothered to find out why.

<~~~~edited for spelling and grammatical errors.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 8

Ooooo, a battle of wills between Jake and Papa Pope!  I love it!

Fitz is fighting for gun control?  Are we sure he's Republican?  Or did he switch parties?

Maybe Quinn wouldn't be so upset to have sex with Charlie if Charlie was dressed as Superman.

Poor Mellie.  She so wants to be seen as relevant, especially to Fitz.  Plus she wasted all that money and resources.  I, for one, would watch the hell out of a spin-off involving Mellie solving crimes.

How the hell did ape of a man like Huck stealthily enter Olivia's bedroom.  Did he come in on his tippy toes?

Anyone else look at Michael and see Christian Bale's character from American Psycho?  Cyrus should beware for more than one reason,  especially if Michael wants him to come over to listen to some Huey Lewis and The News.  Also, every time I see Portia Di Rossi, I think "She would have made a good Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class".  Anyone else think this?

David shows a ruthless side, but has regrets about it.  Suck it up, David!  This is Scandal!

Abby will not be ignored, Mr. President.  Also, if he ever needs a rebound girl...

And, yes, Quinn - no one gives a shit about you.

Speaking of the way characters talk, their speeches remind me of that episode of 30 Rock where Queen Latifah guest starred.  She played a Congresswoman who usually went on these nonsensical tirades, but she still got standing ovations because of how she emoted and it didn't matter if what she said.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2
Speaking of which, I really liked the scene between Abby and Fitz when he apprized to her but she said what he really needed to be sorry for was not knowing her name.

I bet they're ramping up for Abby and Fitz to

because they both hate Olivia.  
Hey Millie should get job as a detective.  I would watch an entire show of her solving crimes.

I'd watch the hell out of Millie's detective show.  Can we get Jensen Ackles on board for the spin-off?  When does Supernatural end? 

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 4

I'd watch the hell out of Millie's detective show.  Can we get Jensen Ackles on board for the spin-off?  When does Supernatural end? 

Oh my, I thought my weirdo friends and I were the only ones who reference that masterpiece! I think I love you. Or know you in real life. Either way, what a video. And man, Abby/Fitz would piss Olivia off sooo much.

• Love 2

So I was right about David channeling J. Edgar. I wonder if he gets harder or stops as he faces the consequences of his blackmail schemes.

Cyrus was so easy. He really must be lonely. Poor sex worker, he is in over his head with some of the most ruthless people on the planet. No doubt he will dead or run out of town soon enough. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

NCIS: Mellie!

Hey, roomful of people feeling so sorry for Mellie and her crime-solving kung-fu--kindly keep in mind that up until that morning, the crime wasn't solved by some witnesses. (Of course there were other people nearby in the video, so Mellie could have called Ranger Jeff and gotten a status report before going off, but what fun would that have been?)

• Love 2
Anyone else look at Michael and see Christian Bale's character from American Psycho?

Yes. There's something off about him in a "too perfect to be real" kind of way. I also think his peen must be made of gold and ejaculate Champagne for the $$$$ he's charging Cyrus to be later blackmailed .

Hope they're not planning to have David use the B613 dirty files as a deus ex machina device every week. I'm already getting bored with it.

Poor Mellie. My heart broke for her. I guess they just need to find her an issue to obsess about that won't end up causing her or the administration any embarrassment. I think that's largely what's been wearing her down all along; she's a very intelligent woman who needs something to engage and challenge her brain.

Jake does know he's not immortal, right? What's to stop Daddy Pope from just having Jake killed? Probably no one other than Olivia would miss him and even she's questionable, IMO. Also, is it possible that gun lobby guy is related to Jake somehow? I see a facial resemblance between them.

A lot of drop in ons happened in this episode: Olivia on Eli, Abby on Olivia, Huck on Olivia, Olivia on Jake. And then there was Cyrus and Michael pretending to stalk each other. Is that what "inside the bubble" is all about, being able to assume it's okay to ignore the time and property boundaries of people you have (or want to have) significant history with?

Just when I was starting to enjoy how much more tolerable Fitz and Olivia are when they're not swooning all over each other, then comes the previews for the next episode. Gah!

Edited by Oblique Angle

Fitz is fighting for gun control?  Are we sure he's Republican?  Or did he switch parties?

He did get shot in the head- something the show never mentions, not even in his passionate State of the Union address.

As for Jake- he is trying to passive aggressively make Olivia say they are dating? I don't get his schtick.

• Love 5

Who was the actress who played Kathryn (Katherine?), the mom?  (I think she was on Flashforward, if I am remembering the title right?)

Edited by jjj

Liked Olivia pointing out Jake had no job, when he kept saying he was working. She didn't seem to care at all about what he was doing with his time, so the fact he had Quinn for 24 hours she probably wouldn't care just like she doesn't care that he killed James. Yet she rants and raves in the premiere about Harrison and how he's her friend and tells off Abby. 

Quinn was awesome pointing out that Olivia is in Olivia's bubble and didn't even notice or care that she was missing for 24 hours just like Harrison. Also liked Abby telling her off at the apartment about ethics and everything else.  Seems now the characters are being able to voice out against her and not bow at her feet. 

Loved True Detective Mellie. She;s great, she just needs a cause to be focused on. 

• Love 2

I liked this episode better than last week. Last week was a boring mess, sans Mellie. I like Olivia, but I am enjoying seeing other people point out that she is not the sun anymore; to borrow from Grey's. I thought the client of the week was a little weak. But it was fun to see Olivia get all hand-sy w/her in the morgue.

I still hate Gabby, I mean Abby (I couldn't resist), but it was about time she stood up to those white house folks. It has seemed ridiculous that she would be hired by them to have a high profile job like press secretary, but then run around acting like she is the biggest rube in DC.

But then that leads me into my big problem, and question from this show. I said it last week, and it still holds. Especially given the whole "Abby, Olivia, and the client went to law school together, and have been besties since". WTF? Again, if I am remembering correctly, didn't Abby become part of Olivia's sphere, a gladiator, and pledge everlasting devotion to her, and OPA b/c of domestic violence. The story went that Abby was married to a high society, old money asshole, who was kicking her ass. And Olivia got her out of that, and got her a divorce. But then she was always worried about said asshole finding her. And that was also why she started freaking out in S1, when Cyrus starting investigating the spokes on the OPA hamster wheel. See. WTF?

If I'm right, what has changed? Law school or battered wife? Needs to lay low vs on Nat'l tv daily? Re-write, or did I imagine all of that?

Still feeling the sympathy for Mellie. I do think that she is going full tilt bi-polar though. Nutty farm, or rehab, is right around the corner.

And Jake is going to get killed by Papa Pope, and I can't wait. He holds himself above it all, but pimped out Quinn. Most people on this show are balls to the walls evil, or at least a very dark shade of grey. And I don't mind that. But for some reason, Jake hoping Quinn would ho-as-low-as-you-can-go really pissed me off.

• Love 2

2KllMckngBrd -- Thank you for asking about the law school besties -- I had to go look up their characters, and apparently there is a back story of them being friends in law school.  I keep forgetting the Olivia went to law school -- and don't know if she graduated. 

• Love 2

Who was the actress who played Kathryn (Katherine?), the mom?  (I think she was on Flashforward, if I am remembering the title right?)

Sonya Walger. If you were a Lost fan, she was Penny (ironically, in love with Desmond, who was on Scandal in Season 1.) #notpennysboat

• Love 4

Sonya Walger. If you were a Lost fan, she was Penny (ironically, in love with Desmond, who was on Scandal in Season 1.) 

She was also the psychiatrist in Common Law and the badass secret agent in the first Librarian movie.

• Love 1

I liked Quinn telling Charlie that she had people and included Jake in the mix.  Jake, the one who pimped her out and locked her in that room with Charlie 12 hours earlier.

I also like Jake putting put boundaries with Olivia (if that's really what he's doing).  Talking to her through the crack in the door and then rolling his eyes and closing the door in her face when she said "I'm done" cracked me up.

• Love 1

DONE!

"In The Bubble" should really have just been titled ""In with the Cool Kids" because this is all just some over the top teenage narcissistic high school cliche garbage at this point. Actually I could probably swallow this all a little better if it were "Scandal: The High School Years".

David Rosen (the school nerd) the ONE character with an ethical backbone from the get go of this show, has now been assimilated into the whole "hurt anyone to get what you want" (or really what the star quarterback...I mean President wants). And we are suppose to root for him because he's finally made it! It makes as much sense Sandy becoming a tramp to fit in with Danny and his crowd in Grease.

And for the LOVE OF GOD if I have to listen to these people constantly quip about how great their sexual prowess is, with the least clever double entendres ever written, for another hour of my life I'll destroy a sweet new TV we just got and my family will be pissed.

• Love 1

Cyrus was so easy. He really must be lonely. Poor sex worker, he is in over his head with some of the most ruthless people on the planet. No doubt he will dead or run out of town soon enough. 

When Michael asked Cyrus if he was single, I didn't really expect Cyrus to reply, "Yes, I'm a widower--my husband was shot to death in the street. Oh, and I have a child," but didn't all that make news?  Doesn't Michael at least know about James? Doesn't PdR? (can't remember the character's name...)

• Love 1

David Rosen (the school nerd) the ONE character with an ethical backbone from the get go of this show,

Oh, I don't know about that!  David has had some very squishy ethics in the past seasons.  I realize some questionable choices were made under threat, but he had some large gaps a Congressional hearing would be able to drive through.

I didn't really expect Cyrus to reply, "Yes, I'm a widower--my husband was shot to death in the street. Oh, and I have a child,"

I thought the child had conveniently been forgotten by the writers? 

• Love 2

Yay Kyle Secor!  I love when he shows up on shows I watch.  Good guest star ep, with Penny turning up too. 

Poor Abby, keeps winning and losing and winning and losing. Of course he brought up Liv.

Oh David Rosen.  The wrong things for the right reasons is how everyone gets into messes, remember?

Mellie is the best.  Honestly. I was watching that scene with her and all the bigwigs through my fingers.

Quinn actually isn't annoying me as much this season.  She's right that they should care that she vanished.  That whole thing with Charlie was super-weird though. Do not care.  Can't we let a few characters go already?

I would definitely watch a show "First Lady Detective"!

Jake is beginning to get interesting with all his detective work too. Maybe he and Mellie can start a detective agency?

I am liking the new (improved?) David

I too, was thrown by the law school buddies thing, and I've been watching from the beginning

• Love 3

I got the same impression.  I was like, "Oh, shit.  So that's gonna be the big theme for the season.  Olivia and Abby fight over Fitz.  If it turns out that way, I am removing this show from my DVR list immediately."

• Love 3

Oh for fucks sake can we wrap up the Mellie show already. I am not here for that. I want to see the STARS of the show. I could care less about Mellie and her weepy, loss of sanity. 

If this were 1st season Mellie who decided to get pregnant because her husband's mistress wasn't doing her job I'd be interested, but this weepy person is of no interest to me AT ALL.

Can we please stop with the super spy stuff it's getting old. I'm not here for Quinn either.

Abby is still the character I hate the most though. Really don't care what she thinks, feels or where she's from. I want her off my screen.

Oh Cyrus you must truly be in mourning that you cannot see such an obvious set up. Let's hope you're just getting it in before you have to drop the hammer on the pretty boy.

• Love 5

Nice to see ABC's Home For LOST Wanderers is still in effect. Elizabeth Mitchell on "Once Upon a Time" and now Sonya Walger here.

Was it meant to imply the crooked judge killed himself or that the NRA had him killed? (with the gun)

I love Charlie/Quinn. I can't help it. They're like Rob and Laura Petrie compared to Quinn/Huck.

• Love 3

Poor Mellie.  She so wants to be seen as relevant, especially to Fitz.  Plus she wasted all that money and resources.  I, for one, would watch the hell out of a spin-off involving Mellie solving crimes.

I wouldn't. Like everything else Mellie does, her crime solving was not nearly as clever as she thinks it is, nor did it accomplish anything. In fact, like all her other schemes, it blew up in her face and all that was missing was the classic "wah wah" sound effect. Where is the Secret Service man with a deadly virus when you need him?

• Love 4

Was it meant to imply the crooked judge killed himself or that the NRA had him killed?

It was meant to indicate he had killed himself, presumably because of the Scandal lurking in his past or his shame at voting for a decision he did not support.  But on this show, we never necessarily believe that things are what they seem.  So maybe they are reserving the true story of the killing of the judge as a possible future plot point. 

But on this show, we never necessarily believe that things are what they seem.  So maybe they are reserving the true story of the killing of the judge as a possible future plot point. 

If Charlie hadn't been trapped in a cell, scratching "I <3 Quinn" into the concrete, I'd say he was the prime suspect. That kind of death has Cyrus/Cyrus equivalent (Portia del Rossi) written all over it.

I guess they just need to find her an issue to obsess about that won't end up causing her or the administration any embarrassment. I think that's largely what's been wearing her down all along; she's a very intelligent woman who needs something to engage and challenge her brain.

I thought the point of Mellie's ineffectual investigating was just that: to show how desperate she was to have a distraction from her son's death. A month postpartum, one of my friends called her husband at work to tell him Don Craig had fallen off the roof on "Days of our Lives." I saw this as something similar. If she wasn't the First Lady, she'd have been glued to Reddit, debunking conspiracy theories, googling the trajectory of a fall, looking up the average physical fitness of a young woman herself. But because she's the First Lady with tons of resources at her disposal, she got the Secretary of the Interior to give her soil samples and the Surgeon General to work up a profile.

At least if she was just at her computer screen, she would've been spared some dignity when her distraction melted away before her eyes. As it was, she had to watch a room full of men feel sorry for her. I like how the show is addressing grief in a very realistic way, and Mellie is a good vehicle for it.

• Love 4

It's Shonda Speak - it's identical on all her shows and it's just so lazy and hackish. But millions of people think it's Deep and Powerful, or something, so yeah. I don't think there are any amazing actors on this show - not even passably good ones - but even Meryl Streep and Daniel Day Lewis couldn't make this idiotic dialogue/speaking style work.

If SNL hasn't done a "Thanksgiving Dinner at the Rhimes' House" sketch yet, they really need to. They could have everyone from Great Grandma Rhimes to some Rhimes Toddler speaking the. exact. [breath] same. way.

• Love 3
I thought the point of Mellie's ineffectual investigating was just that: to show how desperate she was to have a distraction from her son's death.

I agree but I think probably during most of Fitz' presidency Mellie has likely suffered from lack of intellectual challenges. It's probably what helps her get obsessive about things she can't really do anything about. In her case, idleness may very well be the devil's workshop.

• Love 1

Any negative comments about a woman's body are uncalled for and won't be tolerated. We don't allow Misogyny on this site. I will be deleting the posts upthread that mentioned Quinn's backside. Think before you post next time.

• Love 8

Oh for fucks sake can we wrap up the Mellie show already. I am not here for that. I want to see the STARS of the show. I could care less about Mellie and her weepy, loss of sanity. 

If this were 1st season Mellie who decided to get pregnant because her husband's mistress wasn't doing her job I'd be interested, but this weepy person is of no interest to me AT ALL.

Can we please stop with the super spy stuff it's getting old. I'm not here for Quinn either.

Abby is still the character I hate the most though. Really don't care what she thinks, feels or where she's from. I want her off my screen.

Oh Cyrus you must truly be in mourning that you cannot see such an obvious set up. Let's hope you're just getting it in before you have to drop the hammer on the pretty boy.

PREACH!!!

Loved Jake laying the verbal slap down on Olivia. Too bad he is still trying to protect her in his attack against Papa Pope. She is so unworthy of his love.

• Love 1
When Michael asked Cyrus if he was single, I didn't really expect Cyrus to reply, "Yes, I'm a widower--my husband was shot to death in the street. Oh, and I have a child," but didn't all that make news?  Doesn't Michael at least know about James? Doesn't PdR? (can't remember the character's name...)

I wanted Cyrus to ask why someone who looks like they are in their mid to late 30s is in a position where they have to hook their way through business school.  That's nothing against Matthew Del Negro, but it felt like that cover would be more plausible for someone ten years younger.  And I can't even start with how naive Cyrus seems in this plotline.  I mean, this is the same guy who arranged to have someone killed when they got in his way, so that he can't see what is going on here is just incredible.    

This show is utterly ridiculous at this point. In no way can someone EVER challenge a law that hasn't even been passed yet. I mean the ever loving fuck?

I thought the NRA guy made some comment about the law actually passing?  Though it is totally ridiculous that the Attorney General is the person arguing the case in front of an appeals court.     

Edited by txhorns79

The main problem this season is no clear cut story arc has been established.  It seems to still be dealing with fall out from season 3 without a clear direction mixed with the case3 of the week.. which I think shouldn't just be for one episode.. but could carry over into multiple episodes (i.e. Lisa Kudrow's character last season).

Finally, does anyone else think Portia De Rossi is being wasted thus far?

Finally, does anyone else think Portia De Rossi is being wasted thus far?

I think they're just doing a slow burn with her, kind of like they did with Kate Burton's Sally - Sally just had bits here and there as I recall, and then her presidential run came.

Quinn and Charlie forever! Actually, it's not that I ship them, but I detest the Quinn/Huck pairing so much that I'm desperate for anything that might derail it. At least Charlie never licked her face while torturing her.

I agree but I think probably during most of Fitz' presidency Mellie has likely suffered from lack of intellectual challenges.

Mellie told Fitz outright in a past episode that being First Lady is really boring. All right, so in this episode she ended up solving a case that had already been solved and everyone felt sorry for her - I still hope the main takeaway they'll have after the initial pity wears off is that Mellie can kick ass when given something to do, so give her a project already. Loved Mellie here, as I usually do - I mainly watch this show for her. Olivia and Fitz could be other reasons for me to watch, if only the show would stop with the Olitz. It drags both characters down terribly, and I've appreciated these last couple episodes where they've had basically no interaction and have only talked about each other a little bit - too bad that's inevitably coming to an end. The only positive thing I can find to say about Olitz is that at least they're not Quinn/Huck.

My goodness, Cyrus can’t see the obvious set-up being telegraphed from the heavens? I hope Cyrus is  playing a long con with this guy at the same time he’s getting his rocks off. $2500 for a night? He must know some special tricks.

I can’t even buy that he’s so distraught over his husband’s death that he’s missing the obvious. The same man who tried to have that same husband killed. Yeah ok.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who has trouble following this show? It confuses the heck out of me sometimes.

I started watching last season and am currently watching the season where Grant gets shot (on Centric) and that has helped with some of the backstory. But they seem to jump around so much and talk in code. Maybe it's me. Now Quinn is also "Robin"?

Having said that, loving Mellie and the tension between Abby/Gabby and Olivia.  I also think they may be setting up a Abby/Gabby -Fitz "encounter".  I miss Harrison, I think too. Huck and Quinn are just not likeable for me.

$2500 for a night? He must know some special tricks.

Charlie Sheen, a famed Sociologist who has done extension work with American sex workers, once said, "I don't pay them for sex. I pay them to leave."

Cyrus can't be dumb enough to fall into this honey trap, right?

• Love 1
At least Charlie never licked her face while torturing her.

Did Charlie ever torture Quinn? Quite possibly, but I don't remember it. I do know that we've seen Huck torture Quinn. And Huck torture Charlie. And Charlie torture Huck. But I don't remember Charlie torturing Quinn. And Quinn's never tortured either of them. Girl has some catching up to do!

I have had nothing but love for Fitz this season. Until Abby sat down and I said "don't ask her about Olivia", and what does he do? Ugh.

I continue to find Mellie the most interesting character, I'm still holding out hope for her and Fitz!

I would definitely watch a show "First Lady Detective"!

Jake is beginning to get interesting with all his detective work too. Maybe he and Mellie can start a detective agency?

I am liking the new (improved?) David

I too, was thrown by the law school buddies thing, and I've been watching from the beginning

There's a book series about Eleanor Roosevelt solving crimes. It's written by a descendent. All the books have titles like "Death at the <insert famous DC location>".

There's a similar series written by a Truman.

Or maybe both are ghostwritten by Adlai Stevenson.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 2