Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Balloonman

Trini
  • Start Topic

The episode started off with a misstep. Penguin steps of the bus and sees three crimes on a single block with the span of 10 seconds? I get that Gotham is corrupt but gimme a break. The writing can be cartoon level amateurish. Nevertheless, what is most off about this show isn't the writing but rather the overall tone and (mis)direction.

There is no tonal cohesion; Ben McKenzie is playing a pretty grounded character while others like Jada Pinkett are already flying off the rails with the overdone characterization and over enunciation that seems to be a poorly executed homage to the 1960s Batman. I think her acting is actually getting worse with every passing episode. Why won't the director tell her less is more? Also, overlaying upbeat and quirky score (ie. this episodes scenes with Selena) over the gritty, bleak streets of Gotham further adds to the incongruity.

I really want to like this show as Batman is my favorite comic book hero but the EPs are making it virtually impossible.

Oh, I had a terrible chuckle when that woman was flattened by the falling body.

Shouldn't the con man have fallen first though?  (maybe he landed in a field or the river...)

Agree with PPs who said they should have realized what goes up must come down.  OTOH maybe they thought (as I sorta did) that they'd reach a equilibrium-ish height and stay there.  And the victim freezes to death.

Jade is going to flip when she finally sees Oswald.

If she does, that is.  Gordon has motive to keep him a secret.

I loved Oswald ordering a tuna fish sandwich. Coincidence? I think not, lol.

Yup!  Noticed that.

I enjoyed this once again and like the performances a lot.  Continue to like the look of Gotham City as well.

Thought the reporter asking who would protect Gotham now was over-the-top and something that just wouldn't happen in a real news broadcast.

Yup, a bit much.  And kind of a dis to the GCPD, wasn't it?

Speaking of the look of GC, are all the city scenes CGI?  Very well done.

Holy hell, did anyone else get a huge "The Killing Joke" vibe when Barbara went to answer the door at the end?  

No kidding!  My first thought was "Don't you have a peephole in that door??"

OTOH, in that kind of high-rise, you'd think they'd have a doorman.  And that the doorman would know to call up first.

Oswald will have to hide the fact that he's willing to kill a man for his shoes.  

Yep, that was cold.  Especially since he had $100 from the other guy.   OTOH maybe he killed him to create the job opening he needed.

Edited by kay1864

Yep, that was cold. Especially since he had $100 from the other guy. OTOH maybe he killed him to create the job opening he needed.

I'm willing to say it was both. He has that type of mind that would lead him to kill two birds with one stone that way.

I thought it was hilarious and pretty dark too, the killing method was funny but kind of gruesome too, so right where it should have been for Gotham. I genuinely like Gordon, though I think he should look more conflicted and angry with Bullock. Maybe he should take to carrying a flask of water with him so that he looks like he actually murdered someone instead of just seeming fine. I also really like Bullock and Oswald, but that's hardly a unique position to hold.

• Love 1

Agreed, Oswald probably killed him for the shoes and the job.  I found a picture of Robin Lord Taylor from the Walking Dead.

"Cat-Tween" made it into this week's summary.  Does this make Bruce Bat-Tween?

There are too many regulars. They're going to have to decide that not everyone has to be is every episode.

The time does feel stretched a bit thin by the time the episode checks in with all the characters, and as a result some subplots are not really moving.  I suspect that at some point the herd will be thinned by either Penguin, Fish, Falcone, or a combination of the three.  It seems reasonable for Selina to disapper for a while, since she is in theory on the run.  If major case receeded a bit, that would make some room to tell a more in depth story.

A Fringe alumnus, Clark Middleton, made this episode as the balloon seller.

• Love 2

A couple things that came to mind when watching the episode, that have not been mentioned here:

First, doesn't the Wayne Manor have a ballroom or large sunroom or something where Bruce can fence around? I was a little antsy watching him swing around in a room that contained items probably worth tens of thousands of dollars, and was surprised that Alfred wasn't similarly perturbed. It was necessary, I guess, to show that Bruce was secretly flipping through his parents' murder file, but using the same room (his father's study?) in multiple episodes makes it look like the show is having budget issues. Of course, it makes sense that Bruce might spend 19 hours a day locked up in that room contemplating his future life of crime.

Second, I understand the "what goes up, must come down" sentiment, but how high up are we talking here? I thought I heard the word "stratosphere", which means by the time that balloon pops and the body plummets, it ought to be hundreds of miles away from Gotham. Most likely in the ocean somewhere (if Gotham is coastal) or as someone said, some field or forest in the middle of nowhere. Not expecting to find those bodies anytime soon actually makes sense in that context, and the Lt.'s body falling into GCPD jurisdiction seems too far-fetched with what the story and common sense is telling me.

Good thing Gordon didn't run into the Teenage Killer Croc when he was down in that very realistic sewer. 

I liked this episode, and I thought the dialogue was more natural.  I appreciate that they were including character scenes between the action.  The tone was lighter, and Bollock had some funny lines.  I didn't mind the balloon plot... it was Gotham-like, relevant to the theme of corruption and at least gave a twist from crimes in seen in normal police procedurals.  

The exception with the improved dialogue was the clunky stuff between Barbara and Renee.  I agree with the poster above that it would have been preferable to show Jim meeting Barbara, though I suppose that might have distracted Jim from his job.  As it is, I don't feel like I know Barbara at all so it's hard to care.  Renee and her partner seem out to get Jim without really getting to know him, so they feel like pests.  

I tend not to like/watch shows where innocent bystanders are murdered for no reason, so I don't enjoy that aspect of the show with Oswald murdering people left right and center, nor the "humor" of the lady being killed by the falling body.  I do agree Oswald is a very intriguing character despite being basically a serial killer.  I'm not sure how great an idea it is to give him such a big pie of the screentime.  He seems to have second billing behind Gordon.  

The kid plays Bruce very effectively.  You could literally see the wheels churning in his head.  It seemed weird they jumped right into him fencing with Alfred, seemingly recovered from his depression.  What was up with the no-eating thing anyway.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Loved Loved Loved the opening sequence with Oswald getting off the bus.  The look, everything going on.... welcome to Gotham Fucking City.  Personally, I though they nailed it (and the cityscape scene around the action was damn good too).  And it followed through with Bullock's string of informants going from the hookers to the pimp to the dim sum loan shark to the guy who Bullock was just buying a sandwich from.  Really, since they can't actually use Batman and the villains need to come along somewhat slowly in order to keep the show going, the only reason to make the show at all is if Gotham itself becomes a real, distinct place.  They're doing a damn good job of that so far.

That second victim, the police lieutenant who's name I can't remember, how stupid can you get?

Cranston.  Like The Shadow.

I'm willing to say it was both. He has that type of mind that would lead him to kill two birds with one stone that way.

Oh no.  Oh no you din'nt.

• Love 2

So the Balloonman himself was just the sort of 'camp but creepy' villain that you'd find in Golden and Silver Age Batman tales. An odd modus operandi, and turning the benign into something scary. 

I like the focus on Gotham City itself being "sick", and the sentiment that Balloonman's last victim could have been anyone was probably the best choice for that reveal. It shows an awareness from the writers of what is most important in a story like this. One good cop against a corrupt system is powerful, and when you add in the other good cops who are perhaps morally if not systemically corrupt (pursuing Gordon without real evidence, and with every indication of personal agendas), it gets even better.

It's going to be tough for Gordon to find any allies, in this world. Bullock will get better, in time, because you can see Gordon's idealism and strength making the slightest of impressions already. But I like that they're taking that slowly. The other cops are mostly lost causes, so for Gordon to get any help, he'd have to make like Elliot Ness and bring in outsiders.

I liked the scenes with Gordon and Selina, and thought they had a fun, antagonistic chemistry. I'd like to see her become his informant and him try to reform her, with no success. She's a precocious brat, but that's to be expected, and I think the actress plays it well. Loved her waiting for Gordon's head to disappear below street level before immediately picking the handcuff lock, and her obnoxious "you might need these" as she dropped the cuffs into the sewer.

Back to the city of Gotham, the opening scene of Penguin taking in all the seedy, casual criminality and horror of the place was great. Perhaps overkill for that many crimes to be occurring within that space, in that couple of minutes, but it really sold the dirtiness of the entire city. And for Penguin to love it because of that? Great moment for his character. I don't mind him returning so quickly (thought I would) because he's playing it smart and starting from the bottom, but making friends with the right people already.

And I realised now that he reminds me a bit too much of Tobey Maguire, which probably means I'll never be able to watch a Tobey Maguire film again without thinking he's creepy. But the psychotic nature of Penguin is being sold well. I really like that he seems to see Gordon as a friend, because Gordon spared him. And I kind of hope that twisted relationship flourishes for a while, and Gordon doesn't make an enemy out of him right away.

Everything about this show just looks so good. It is like looking at the panels of an issue of Batman or Gotham Central, and I really like the richness of the cinematography. They're doing a really good job of meshing the different elements, from noir to 70s realism.

I think the kid playing Bruce Wayne sucks. That scene with him talking to Alfred (think it was immediately after their fencing match)? Painfully recited dialogue. Think I might have to start skipping scenes with just the two of them. I don't need a 20 years in the making easter egg.

As soon as I recognized the guy at the police station ("Hey, it's ...that guy"), I knew who Ballonman was. No other reason to cast a name brand type actor in that role unless there was more to it.

Ballonman was a city official from last week, right?

I liked the balloon man episode, thought it was great! Lighter in how the criminal was committing his vigilante crimes. 

Heh. I see what you did there!

Yeah, I think even elementary school kids would know that the bodies would eventually come down.  Did they really think they were just going to float out into space or something?

I kept wondering about that too but assumed no one cared where they fall b/c it would be far away from Gotham. When what's-his-name asked Gordon and Harvey if they knew about weather balloons, I wondered if there was something about them that made them return to their point of origin, followed by "splat". heh heh. Hey, these balloons can lift people, why not boomerang?

That second victim, the police lieutenant who's name I can't remember, how stupid can you get?

Cranston.  Like The Shadow.

Yes, and did anyone else notice how much the Balloonman looked like The Shadow in that scene?  Scarf and hat.  An in-joke, maybe?

• Love 4

A Fringe alumnus, Clark Middleton, made this episode as the balloon seller.

Yes, the rare book store owner with the trans-dimensional typewriter in the back room and the hots for Olivia.

Gotham is working well for me so far, surprisingly well for a comic-based show. It's walking a fine line between serious and jokey, dark but accessible, retro and contemporary (40s chic with cell phones), and walking it well. It does seem squarely aimed at fans with some degree of familiarity with the material, but I can see newbies being drawn into it as well.

It is surprising how much disturbing and /or violent material is present for such an early timeslot. The Batman angle will surely draw the attention of kids, and unwary parents might be in for a surprise. The child-napping scenes in the previous episode might cause a few nightmares in younger ones.

But I have to say I'm most impressed by Gordon's apartment, complete with giant fireplace and compulsory inside-of-giant-clock that screams eccentric retro penthouse. Not bad for a junior detective and a youngish gallery owner.

• Love 1

It is surprising how much disturbing and /or violent material is present for such an early timeslot. The Batman angle will surely draw the attention of kids, and unwary parents might be in for a surprise. The child-napping scenes in the previous episode might cause a few nightmares in younger ones.

Well, it is Batman. Any parents who aren't aware that his is a world of violence and darkness must have only ever watched the Adam West series. Even the cartoons I've seen are dark in comparison to most other superhero fair. The comics themselves? Very dark, at times. Darker than any other presentation of the character. And I think kids actually like a bit of darkness, when it's presented properly. Personally, I think kids could do with a bit of scaring, from time to time, and TV is a good medium for it.

I'm so confused on something if someone doesn't mind clearing it up?

1.) Do we know yet who is starting up Arkham Asylum? Is it Marone or Falcone? It sounded like Marone was saying he was setting it back up but then when Falcone spoke to Fish later it sounded like it was his doing?

2.) I'm so confused on Barbara Gordon...Is she still being played as the mother of "Batgirl"? I heard someone mention her relationship with Montoya is being played perfectly for her casting as a different character named "Batwoman" who is a drug addict/lesbian or something? Which one is it? And I read that Jim Gordon's second wife in the comic books was named Sarah Essen...That's the Captain of the GCPD in this show? I'm so confused...

1.) Do we know yet who is starting up Arkham Asylum? Is it Marone or Falcone?

Don Sal Marone/ Maroni is behind the reopening of Arkham Asylum. Falcone was telling Fish about the power play, ego-boosting himself/ keeping up appearances so that Fish ( who wants to take out Don Falcone) will understand that he needs all his soldiers and lieutenants behind him so he stays the mob head of Gotham. IIRC.

2.) I'm so confused on Barbara Gordon...Is she still being played as the mother of "Batgirl"? I heard someone mention her relationship with Montoya is being played perfectly for her casting as a different character named "Batwoman" who is a drug addict/lesbian or something? Which one is it? And I read that Jim Gordon's second wife in the comic books was named Sarah Essen...That's the Captain of the GCPD in this show? I'm so confused...

Don't worry about the comics.  Gotham's Barbara is potentially Batgirl's mom, but she may not be depending on how things play. (No spoilers or spec. We, the audience, just haven't been given much on Ms. Keene.)

Yes, Captain Sarah Essen in Gotham is bearing Gordon's second wife's name, but, again, don't expect comics continuity for this show. Comics can and do reboot and shift things, which is a pro and a con for that medium.   Here is a link to Batwoman, if you are interested-http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batwoman.

Again, there are some things/characters who are very similar to their comics counterparts, but this show is not a direct transfer. The Batman Vs. Other Versions Thread has some cool talk on it and may help you further!

Why is Penguin such a serial killer in this?  I get that he's deranged, but they're just making him overboard psycho as opposed to criminal mastermind.

I've been liking the show so far.  It looks great and they do okay balancing between Batman noir and buddy cop show.  I've always found the Batman universe too dark and oppressive, but this treatment is very watchable.

I agree that 8:00 is not the appropriate timeslot for this show.  It may be Batman, but a show based on Batman isn't required to show people getting knifed to death with blood spraying.  It's okay if they want to go that route, but the show should air later.

• Love 1

1.) Do we know yet who is starting up Arkham Asylum? Is it Marone or Falcone?

Don Sal Marone/ Maroni is behind the reopening of Arkham Asylum. Falcone was telling Fish about the power play, ego-boosting himself/ keeping up appearances so that Fish ( who wants to take out Don Falcone) will understand that he needs all his soldiers and lieutenants behind him so he stays the mob head of Gotham. IIRC.

Don't worry about the comics.  Gotham's Barbara is potentially Batgirl's mom, but she may not be depending on how things play. (No spoilers or spec. We, the audience, just haven't been given much on Ms. Keene.)

Yes, Captain Sarah Essen in Gotham is bearing Gordon's second wife's name, but, again, don't expect comics continuity for this show. Comics can and do reboot and shift things, which is a pro and a con for that medium.   Here is a link to Batwoman, if you are interested-http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batwoman.

Again, there are some things/characters who are very similar to their comics counterparts, but this show is not a direct transfer. The Batman Vs. Other Versions Thread has some cool talk on it and may help you further!

Thanks so much Actionmage. Just out of curiosity...how could you tell that it's Maroni setting Arkham back up rather than Falcone? It seemed from what Falcone said to Fish that he had just as much intention to do it? I couldn't tell? Fish mentioned that Falcone was the one that closed it down correct? They said in a previous episode that Thomas Wayne was planning on reopening it himself before he died, correct?

Wasn't Arkham on it's own island?

That makes sense on Barbara...I was just confused because other people on threads are saying she is being set up perfect to play Batwoman's character but that lady's name was Kimberly Kane or something?  Also I thought in some versions Jim Gordon was Batgirl's uncle and not father?

Edited by jagfan05

Wasn't Arkham on it's own island?

That makes sense on Barbara...I was just confused because other people on threads are saying she is being set up perfect to play Batwoman's character but that lady's name was Kimberly Kane or something?  Also I thought in some versions Jim Gordon was Batgirl's uncle and not father?

Arkham Asylum is generally depicted as being on it's own little island however the layout of Gotham is not exactly set in stone.  I'm most familiar with this map of Gotham: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_City#mediaviewer/File:Gotham_City_map.jpg  That was from the late 90s, early 00's after the No Man's Land big crossover event they did.  Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy seems to have taken alot of cues from that particular map.

The comparison of Barbara Kean to Kate Kane I think are largely due to the fact that Kate and Barbara Kean are both rich socialites who Renee Montoya dated.  Though I would point out that Kate Kane took a fairly drastic change in looks from her first minor appearance in the comic series "52" (which is where those pictures posted around here earlier were from) and her later debut in "Batwoman" (she has a much more alternative, 'rockabilly' look there as opposed to the straight up rich upper class socialite look she had in "52").  The later look is what she's been depicted as ever since.  Also don't get confused with Kathy Kane, the original Batwoman from the 1950's.  That's a completely different character.

• Love 1

Noticed an visual problem when Balloonman and Jim were shot down...

Balloonman was handcuffed to the balloon. When the balloon was shot, Balloonman (and Jim) both fell.

When they landed on the truck, nothing was attached to Balloonman's wrist and the balloon never came down.

Totally irrelevant, but this was on my mind. I feel better now.

• Love 1

Jim figuring out who the balloon guy was seemed too easy.  I almost expected a cartoon thought bubble to pop up over his head. 

I thought the falling guy/smooshing of the lady was a pretty good callback to the 60s show.  SPLAT.  In the moment we saw her walking her dog, I thought she reminded me strongly of the Danny DeVito Penguin character.  I did chuckle in the next few moments when we saw the cop walking the same dog in the aftermath.

-------------------------

Somehow I am stuck by the fact that the female characters, except for Cat and Montoya, seem to be only shown in one location.  It makes their world feel stunted somehow.

Barbara is in the apartment (the costuming funds must small on this show as she apparently is only able to wear Jim's button downs ;) )

The police captain is only at the station.

Fish is only at the restaurant, though they did let her into the alley that one time.

It's true, the majority of female characters have been location locked.  Their locations match their roles relative to Gordon; these are the places where he would normally see them.  However, that also means that female characters don't interact much with each other.  Montoya and Barbara's meetings have been one-note.  It would be a nice to see a setting where more of the characters have a chance to interact. 

Barbara popped up at the police station looking for Jim after he was kidnapped by Fish in the Pilot.

Maybe that's why Bullock looked so stunned.  It wasn't over Jim's disappearance, but he couldn't believe she was able to leave the apartment!

But, now that it's mention, it does seem like a lot of the female have been location locked, with the exception of Montoya and Selina.  Still, it's early, so hopefully that will change, or that's going to be one of those things that is used in a Gotham drinking game (obviously, you will have to do two shots if Barbara is not only in the loft, but wearing only Gordon's shirt.  I guess she doesn't believe in PJs.)

• Love 3

Maybe that's why Bullock looked so stunned.  It wasn't over Jim's disappearance, but he couldn't believe she was able to leave the apartment!

But, now that it's mention, it does seem like a lot of the female have been location locked, with the exception of Montoya and Selina.  Still, it's early, so hopefully that will change, or that's going to be one of those things that is used in a Gotham drinking game (obviously, you will have to do two shots if Barbara is not only in the loft, but wearing only Gordon's shirt.  I guess she doesn't believe in PJs.)

Hopefully it's just about establishing character and place, and they'll get to venture further afield in later episodes. Though I find myself wondering what exactly Barbara Kean does with her time. I know she's rich, but have they said whether she has a job or spends a lot of time doing charity work? Does she just lounge around in Jim's shirts all day, waiting for him to come home, and being periodically tempted by old flames? If so, she's going to become tiresome very quickly.

Montoya needs to do more than believe every negative rumour she hears about Jim, and immediately tattle them to Barbara, as well.

I don't mind Fish only being shown in her club, because that's her base of power. That's where people go to find her, whether it's cops or other villains. Same goes for the captain. She's the captain, where else would she be but the precinct? I'm sure she has a home and a family, but I don't see how either of those things would be relevant to the show's main characters.

• Love 2

It's interesting that the Balloonman first used

the same mask used by a totally unrelated comic book character, Professor Pyg.  Not that I think it means anything--the stories and characters involved are far too different.

I liked this episode a lot.  It struck out in a pretty original direction and moved all the other ongoing plots along really well.

• Love 2

Even the ending of the episode really interested me.  I totally wasn't expecting that--more cliched writing would have been to play Barbara's doubts about Jim out over a whole season.  But they've settled them within ONE episode, and put a cap on it that totally brings her, by necessity, further into Jim's trust.  Bravo, writers.  Bravo.  Damn good choice. There's plenty of room for trouble with their relationship down the line, but it's good you didn't use the predictable route to do it. Of course now Jim is unintentionally complicit in all of the murders (many of innocents) this psycho has done since Jim let him go.  Not that Jim knows anything about those.

I think it also does

parallel the comics somewhat, in that more than any of the other Gotham crime Kingpins, The Penguin is the one who acts most often as an informant/cooperative person with the cops and/or Batman (and Riddler is probably second on that list). Looking back at the comics you can certainly argue that an earlier relationship with Penguin and Gordon like this is at least possible, even if many of the finer details don't match up.

Edited by Kromm

Watching this on Hulu. First thought...Really cool episode. Sending the dirty ponzi schemer skyward was sorta cool.  Sword fight was sorta cool. Not as thrilled about the Major Case detectives. Seem to be overacting a bit. Cobblepot is still creepy, Selina Kyle is clever. Cool that they got The Balloonman. Cool that Cobblepot knocked on Gordon's door. Bonus was Markham from Fringe fame.

Good episode. Looking forward to the next installment.

Even the ending of the episode really interested me.  I totally wasn't expecting that--more cliched writing would have been to play Barbara's doubts about Jim out over a whole season.  But they've settled them within ONE episode, and put a cap on it that totally brings her, by necessity, further into Jim's trust.  Bravo, writers.  Bravo.  Damn good choice. There's plenty of room for trouble with their relationship down the line, but it's good you didn't use the predictable route to do it. Of course now Jim is unintentionally complicit in all of the murders (many of innocents) this psycho has done since Jim let him go.  Not that Jim knows anything about those.

As long as Jim doesn't unknowingly sabotage himself by not telling Barbara who the guy is, so she ends up thinking it's just some other crook that her fiance is having dealings with. That would actually make her more suspicious than she was before. And I can actually see that being the way they go, because I feel like the writers want to undermine this relationship, and push some sort of love triangle with Barbara thinking of turning back to Montoya.

Jim Gordon has some major self control. His hot girlfriend is wandering around the apartment in just a shirt and he...leaves?

Ha!  I didn't really think much of it, as, room temperature permitting, a lot of women don't wear pants around the house, but my husband was like, "Does she only wear his shirts?"  So maybe Jim is so used to it he doesn't care.

I do have questions though. does Bruce have any friends? Does he go to school? Have servents besides Alfred? I mean the Waynes live in a big house they had to have had servents right? What happened to them? Or should i just write it all off as weird rich people behavior and move on?

When Alfred was complaining about the dinner he had to cook, I was like, really?  There isn't a cook?  But I think if there were more people around he'd be less likely to turn into a weirdo, which he does end up being. 

They could rename the show Oswald or Cobblepot or Penguin, and I wouldn't mind one bit. He is carrying this show, and that's saying something because Gordon, Bullock, and Falcone are all bringing it. This is Robin Lord Taylor's show.

There's really nothing I hate in this show. So far so good, but like I said this is Oswald's show.

Oswald is easily my favorite character.  He's a psycho but he's so sweet about it.  He's like a puppy who chews on something he shouldn't.  It's bad but the puppy's so goddamn cute you can't be that mad.  (Regarding his role in The Walking Dead, we were watching that very episode the other day, and we recognized him at first but not from where and we were kind of startled when we realized who it was.)

But I have to say I'm most impressed by Gordon's apartment, complete with giant fireplace and compulsory inside-of-giant-clock that screams eccentric retro penthouse. Not bad for a junior detective and a youngish gallery owner.

I thought it was Barbara's?  Montoya said she still had a key.  I figured her family had money and Jim moved into her apartment.

I'm loving this show but there are two things I'm already tired of.  1.  Montoya and the other cop constantly up Gordon's ass.  And anyway, I'm sure they have plenty of crimes they're assigned to that they need to investigate, and second of all, there are plenty of dirty cops they could be hassling.  Why him?  (Well, I know why him, but still.)  2.  Barbara.  She's pointless.  She doesn't do anything besides fret about whether Jim is a bad guy.  And smoke weed apparently.

Did Fish Mooney have her boytoy killed or just fired?

Edited by janie jones

I thought it was Barbara's?  Montoya said she still had a key.  I figured her family had money and Jim moved into her apartment.

It's definitely Barbara's.  Aside from how they set this up with Renee having a key, you can also go outside of the show and into comics continuity for some assistance in seeing why the show writers may have done this...

(Barbara Gordon very famously uses a space that looks just like this place, only ramshackle and long abandoned, as her headquarters as Batgirl).

Fish/Falcone was is interesting. But are we seriously supposed to believe that Fish would be stupid enough to  put herself out there by snitching on Gordon? There's not that many people who know about the supposed murder so  it's not like that info couldn't be traced back to her.

This was the biggest problem for me -- plot-wise. She already knows that he already knows that he is on to her. And then she also attacks his girlfriend. Obviously, it's not smart, when I think we're supposed to be impressed with her scheming.

I don't think death by balloon is going to be topped by any other crime show this year.

Somewhere, a CSI writer just bolted upright in a cold sweat.

I do have questions though. does Bruce have any friends? Does he go to school? Have servents besides Alfred? I mean the Waynes live in a big house they had to have had servents right? What happened to them? Or should i just write it all off as weird rich people behavior and move on?

The show could do with focusing on just few of the characters and fleshing them out. I'd really like more backstory/details on a few of the main characters.

"Cat-Tween" made it into this week's summary.  Does this make Bruce Bat-Tween?

Nah... he's not an overtly a mini-version of his adult persona --yet-- like Selina is.

Of course now Jim is unintentionally complicit in all of the murders (many of innocents) this psycho has done since Jim let him go.  Not that Jim knows anything about those.

I don't think he is; and I just don't like this type of reasoning, anyway. Oswald made his own choices, and Gordon had no idea what he would do after saving his life. I don't think that makes him responsible  for Oswald's actions.

Are we supposed to like Montoya/Allen? Because all they've done so far is be a pain in the neck for Gordon. Either give them something to do, or leave them out of the episode.

• Love 2

I don't think he is; and I just don't like this type of reasoning, anyway. Oswald made his own choices, and Gordon had no idea what he would do after saving his life. I don't think that makes him responsible  for Oswald's actions.

Oswald made his own choices, but arguably Gordon knew enough about him to know that he's a very very bad man.  Not that Jim really had many choices in the situation he was placed in, but at the very least it's probably correct to say he chose his own morality over the crimes he'd have a reasonable reason to suspect Oswald of committing, or alternately his own life over those (since Option 3 might have been to try and take Oswald into protective custody, but then probably get murdered by Harvey).

It was definitely a no win scenario--although one could also argue that Jim maybe could have done more to track down Oswald after than incident on the pier.  Oswald finding him is an interesting twist, but we've yet to see if Jim has to make himself complicit in a lot more to protect his own hide (since even Oswald still being known as alive cooks Jim's goose--and Oswald is going to know that and be perfectly willing to leverage that).

Of course now Jim is unintentionally complicit in all of the murders (many of innocents) this psycho has done since Jim let him go.  Not that Jim knows anything about those.

Considering we know the Penguin can't die on this show, I think it's a mistake to make him into a murderer of so many innocent people.  It reflects badly on Jim's character to be working with basically a serial killer.  I get it's played for laughs and it ups the violence factor which increases ratings, but I think it's frustrating to watch someone like that roam free.  It is only the charisma of the actor that makes me feel almost sympathetic for the guy despite all that he has done.  But I don't think I can justify that feeling for much longer if they have him murdering innocent minimum wage workers for their shoes.

"I was walking up Sixth Avenue when Balloonman came right up to me

He was round and fat and spherical

With the biggest grin I'd ever seen

He bounced on up toward me

But before we could be introduced

He blew up very suddenly

I guess his name was probably Bruce"

• Love 2

I don't think he is; and I just don't like this type of reasoning, anyway. Oswald made his own choices, and Gordon had no idea what he would do after saving his life. I don't think that makes him responsible for Oswald's actions.

Oswald made his own choices, but arguably Gordon knew enough about him to know that he's a very very bad man. Not that Jim really had many choices in the situation he was placed in, but at the very least it's probably correct to say he chose his own morality over the crimes he'd have a reasonable reason to suspect Oswald of committing, or alternately his own life over those (since Option 3 might have been to try and take Oswald into protective custody, but then probably get murdered by Harvey).

But as far as even the audience knows, Oswald never killed anyone before. He was an errand boy, a low level player. There was no reason for anyone to think he was going to go on a killing spree. And here's the thing people seem to forget--he's a good guy. That means he tries to do the right thing for the right reasons all the time. Now, he's human, he will make mistakes, and it won't always be easy to do the right thing, and sometimes he may even do the wrong thing. But killing someone who, as far has he knows, is basically an accountant who snitched, is entirely NOT the right thing. Gordon came up with a way to save them both, and warned Oswald to stay out of Gotham. He did the right ting here, and he's not repsonsible for anything Oseald chooses to do afterward. Free will, baby!

It's interesting to compare this to the rather similar situation on Once Upon a Time, with Emma saving Marion. But there, because Marion isn't a multiple murderer (Oswald is not actually a serial killer, by definition), so no one is blaming her for things Marion might do--although the Evil Queen bames Emma. Perhaps that's a hint that saving the innocent--or at least not committing murder--is in fact the right thing to do.

• Love 3

When Rick and Carol went on a supply run they found a couple hiding in the bathroom of a house, Sam and Ana. He played Sam -- the guy with the separated shoulder -- by the end of the episode, Ana was walker-food and Sam was never seen again.

Or was he?

Second, I understand the "what goes up, must come down" sentiment, but how high up are we talking here? I thought I heard the word "stratosphere", which means by the time that balloon pops and the body plummets, it ought to be hundreds of miles away from Gotham. Most likely in the ocean somewhere (if Gotham is coastal) or as someone said, some field or forest in the middle of nowhere. Not expecting to find those bodies anytime soon actually makes sense in that context, and the Lt.'s body falling into GCPD jurisdiction seems too far-fetched with what the story and common sense is telling me.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe it's possible for a weather ballon to land very close to the vicinity it was released. The reason I say this is because I took a weather class and we watched weather balloons fall near locations where they were released. It could be wrong, but thats what I wasn't throw off by it. And these balloons DID go into the stratosphere.

There is no tonal cohesion; Ben McKenzie is playing a pretty grounded character while others like Jada Pinkett are already flying off the rails with the overdone characterization and over enunciation that seems to be a poorly executed homage to the 1960s Batman. I think her acting is actually getting worse with every passing episode. Why won't the director tell her less is more? Also, overlaying upbeat and quirky score (ie. this episodes scenes with Selena) over the gritty, bleak streets of Gotham further adds to the incongruity.

Sadly it seems JPS never learned the less is more acting lesson. Every scene of her's is campy and over the top and honestly.....painful to watch. It reminds me of high school kids in their first play SCREAMING their lines.

Manhole covers are pretty heavy, and often locked down.  And even if you're a strapping young detective, you can't lift them with your fingers -- you need  a tool like a manhole hook to remove them.

Come on now....there is nothing Ryan Atwood cannot do by brute force alone. ;)

The thing in the episode that absolutely cracked me up is when Gordon jumped on the Ballonman's legs to force Bullock to shoot them both down, in essence saving Balloonman......after Jim hits the roof of the van, he smiles at Bullock and gives the most awkward *thumbs up* I couldn't help but love it and laughed out loud.

• Love 1

"I was walking up Sixth Avenue when Balloonman came right up to me

He was round and fat and spherical

With the biggest grin I'd ever seen

He bounced on up toward me

But before we could be introduced

He blew up very suddenly

I guess his name was probably Bruce"

I thought of this too! One of my favourite Robyn Hitchcock songs, but didn't mention it before as he's so under the radar. And yes, my name is probably the same.

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with Jada Pinkett Smith's performance. I'm not a huge fan of the Batman franchise, I'm only going on my memories of the films but to me she seems to be representing that flashy psycho criminal world that I've seen with the Joker, Riddler, and Penguin, etc. She just doesn't have a costume. She's the beginning of a new era. Falcone and the other crime lord [ I forget his name] are like the old school of the Gotham criminal underworld that's dying out.

Edited by AstaCharles

Manhole covers are pretty heavy, and often locked down.  And even if you're a strapping young detective, you can't lift them with your fingers -- you need  a tool like a manhole hook to remove them.

This was a CBMC -- Comic Book Manhole Cover: Just as heavy as it needed to be.  And of course those were CBWB, which stayed up as long as they needed to for PLOT!

I really liked this episode. The whole thing where Bullock would not let the killer of another cop, even a dirty cop go free was a nice call back to the pilot and how he tried to rescue Gordon.  Plus it was cool seeing Sal "the boss" Maroni show up. I wonder if we will soon see a young DA Harvey Dent, or at least a younger Harvey Dent working his way through law school soon?

<Doux Reviews> <Gotham> <The Balloonman>

I remember this as one of the most ludicrous episodes of the first season, and one which nearly made me quit the show. It's also an episode that consistently comes up whenever people want to make fun of Gotham.

In retrospect, after having spent two seasons with it, I realize I simply didn't understand the show back then, and this installment has improved a lot with repeated viewing.