Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chocolate Milk

• Start Topic

Holt is taken by surprise when his longtime nemesis, Deputy Chief Madeline Wuntch arrives for an inspection of his precinct. Meanwhile, Jake and Terry test the boundaries of "work friends" vs. "friend friends" as they investigate a stabbing at a hipster chocolate milk bar.

I cannot wait to see what this hipster chocolate milk bar is like. And I kind of hope someone on the writing staff watched the totally-up-its-own-arse How to Make it in America for some pointers on how to make the hipster entrepreneurs extra douchey.

Holt having a "longtime nemesis" is going to be hilarious, however it's played. Will she be buttoned up like him, or the sort of extrovert that clearly bothers him?

"I think people see me as a dramatic, serious actress," says the woman whom I will never think of as anyone other than Julia from Heart and Souls.

(It's not your fault, Kyra. Robert Downey Jr. has only escaped the same instant mental association from me by virtue of being in so damn many movies.)

• Love 1

Loved this episode so much.

"Now playing: Scrotal Recall."

Man, Terry Crews continues to be awesome in this.

"When's the last time you had a carrot?"

"Well it's my least favorite cake, so not in a long time."

Heh, Holt has his own version of Tammy 2. I loved the flashback with Holt "refusing to bed her."

• Love 5

Loved Amy in this episode. Teachers need a break too, Amy! 

Jake and Terry were so funny together. Jake having to be the responsible one to Terry's drugged up truth telling was a nice change. Also, Terry's arms are absolutely insane.

I also liked seeing a nicer side of Rosa. She managed to be really sweet while maintaining her edge.

• Love 4

I'm embarrassed to admit that I would totally go to a chocolate milk bar.  

Same here.  I was expecting several types of chocolate, several types of milk...imagine the possibilities!

This was a sweet episode, Rosa helping Boyle out, Terry and Jake being friend friends, etc.  Loved the plot with Kyra Sedgwick.  

• Love 2

I loved the entire vasectomy storyline and everything about it was hilarious, but even as a big fan of The Closer I thought Kyra and her character were kind of pointless. 

There is actually a show called Scrotal Recall.

Three thoughts:

1. Absolutely hilarious.

2. Kyra Sedgewick has impeccable taste in men. Bacon and Braugher. Can't fault the girl.

3. DO NOT! I REPEAT, DO NOT watch this show while eating or drinking anything. I can tell you from first-hand experience. I was mid-chew when Terry was making his comments about wanting his testicles to sing and then fell on top of Jake. Had it not been for a handily placed drink, I might not be in a position to post this.

• Love 6

When I called my mother (going strong at 94) today, she talked about how few TV series interest her these days, and I suggested she might like B99 (she was always a big Barney Miller fan). So naturally it would be the one where they talk about penises nonstop. Story of my life.

The series of puns in the cold open were pretty awesome nevertheless. And the revelation of what the 'straunt was really about made me echo Jake: those are the two least appealing things about chocolate and milk!

After the wonderfully grown-up handling of Jake's feelings about Amy, I was a tad disappointed about the resolution of Terry's storyline. It remains true that no man on a sitcom who says he's going to have a vasectomy has actually gotten one. But I can consider that a minor point if I try.

• Love 1

"I think people see me as a dramatic, serious actress," says the woman whom I will never think of as anyone other than Julia from Heart and Souls.

(It's not your fault, Kyra. Robert Downey Jr. has only escaped the same instant mental association from me by virtue of being in so damn many movies.)

I love that movie!  When he's crying and saying "Julia!"  oh the feels!

• Love 2

As a Yankees fan, I loved the whole, "You embarrassed me in front of Derek Jeter!" "You embarrassed yourself in front of Derek Jeter!"

I'm right with you. I'm crossing my fingers hoping we see a flashback to it.

Terry was hilarious when he was drugged up. 

Loved all the puns about his vasectomy and testicles. 

The stuff with the chocolate milk bar was not what I was expecting. It was funnier. I love how Jake's teeth were black after drinking the sample.

• Love 2

I'd just like to say how amazing Mr. Braugher is. His delivery of " That is hilarious" was genius. He somehow managed to convey amusement while being absolutely stoic.

Also amazing? Rosa. She somehow manages to be an ice queen with a heart of gold.

Almost the whole cast is great, except Gina. I just do not find her funny or interesting.

• Love 5

I went 'aww' out loud when Rosa appeared in the horrible dress, and then again when she made it her mission to help Boyle find a new apartment. There is a tiny bit of me that's worried they're eventually going to get together, but the way he asked felt like he's 100% over trying to woo her and was just trying to get a friend to do him an onerous favor.

Melissa Fumero was terrific in this episode! Her reactions never failed to make me laugh out loud. And I loved how she took the charge and made the Captain swallow his pride. Well done, Amy!

I wasn't such a big fan of A- and C-plots, however. Boyle with the new haircut was funny, but I just don't like him with Rosa. It's really unappealing how she pities him all the time. I wonder if he will ever grow. Sure hope so.

Terry was damn funny at times, but the whole vasectomy subplot was just predictable and felt padded out. It would have been a better B-plot than A, imho.

• Love 1

I think the show had to make Terry and Jake the A plot, as it furthers a key relationship between characters.  And since I firmly believe that this show will have a long run not because of funny lines or interesting plots, but rather the great characters and their interactions, I really enjoyed it and what it does for my enjoyment of the show.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 3

I still can't stand Gina or the actress who plays her (though it doesn't rival my hatred for April/Aubrey Plaza!), but aside from that I think this show is scarily close to perfect. I just love it so, so much. It's just as sweet and optimistic as Parks and Recreation, but in my opinion a lot funnier and filled with more characters I happen to adore. I'd never been much of a Kyra Sedgwick fan, but this episode was enough to change my mind! 

• Love 4

I think the show had to make Terry and Jake the A plot, as it furthers a key relationship between characters.  And since I firmly believe that this show will have a long run not because of funny lines or interesting plots, but rather the great characters and their interactions, I really enjoyed it and what it does for my enjoyment of the show.

This is something that the show really has in common with Parks and Recreation--no matter what combination of characters the writers use, it's going to be funny. 

• Love 4

Gina was great this week and I liked that we see her and Jake interacting. Just like Aubrey Plaza's RL friendship with Anna Kendrick is one the most awesome things to watch it's also hearing about Chelsea Peretti's being childhood friends with Andy. She was on appearance talking about her crush on Andy on Conan recently.

I hope the move to Sunday Night plays out rating-wise. For my money this is one of the top network comedies out there right now. This episode only further solidified that. Everyone seems to be growing based on development. Rosa gave a damn about her friend, and the situation wasn't awkward. Terry openly stated that he didn't believe Jake and he were more than work friends, but was willing to give it a shot, Jake embraced responsibility, Amy stood up to Holt, and Gina was a voice of reason without ulterior motives.

The comedy comes because the foundation is so key.

• Love 1

I think the show had to make Terry and Jake the A plot, as it furthers a key relationship between characters.

It's hard to say what constitutes an "A" plot vs. a "B" plot, unless you're just basing it on whatever story Jake is in. I'd say the inspection with the Kyra Sedgwick character was equally an "A" plot in this episode in terms of air time and importance.

I hope the move to Sunday Night plays out rating-wise.

Unfortunately ratings took a huge hit this week, going down to a 1.6 from a 2.6 last week, and that's a lot. I think it was hovering down around 1.2 or 1.3 by the end of the first season on Tuesdays and there are higher expectations on a Sunday night.

It remains true that no man on a sitcom who says he's going to have a vasectomy has actually gotten one

Tim Allen's character on Home Improvement had one in an episode that was actually somewhat supportive of the notion that a real man takes responsibility for the size of his family.

• Love 2

Another good episode, although I easily loved the Holt/Amy B-story the best, since I probably consider those two my favorite characters (which, is saying something, since I love almost all of them.)  Holt's face-off with Kyra Sedgwick's characters was made of win.  Andre Braugher can deliver any line perfectly.  Holt is so deadpan, but with Andre, you always still know what his emotions are, and I can't figure out how he pulls that off.  But, like for example, when he first hears Kyra's voice, you can just tell that Normal Holt has changed to Angry Holt, as soon as he responds.  And, again, the pauses and way he says certain things, can make simple lines like that Derek Jeter bit and "Looks like we both want the stapler", be some of the funniest things ever.

But, damn, do I continue to think Melissa Fumero is a real great surprise for this show, and is more then keeping up with him.  Her facial expressions are just killers: from the horrified reaction to Holt's "bedding her" bit, to her "OMG, I can't believe I did that!", to after she got on Holt's case; she just brings it every time.  But, I like that we got a sign of a change in their relationship, in that she still is a major teacher's pet ("People love their pets!"), but is slowly, but surely, more willing to confront Holt, if she thinks he is being unreasonable.  I'm glad the show is finding ways to not completely change characters, but have them grow on some levels.  Either way, Holt/Amy is one of my favorites.

The stuff with Jake and Terry was fun.  The vasectomy stuff didn't surprise me (nine times out of ten, they don't go through with it on TV), but I really dig their interactions.  I like how Jake is different with everyone.  With Terry, I got the sense Jake not only respects Terry, but does look up to him as a boss, and despite being Jake, he really does want to be a good friend to Terry, and someone Terry can trust.  And, of course, Drugged Terry was awesome.  I loved when Drugged Terry claimed he did the stabbing (and was dead serious), and his "Holt needs to smoke some WEED!" line.  Terry Crews is the best!

Didn't really care much about the stuff with Boyle and Rosa, but it wasn't bad.  I do hope they continue to refrain from ever going there again.  So far, I think they're doing a good job, but keep their relationship platonic, please.

Loved the return of Flashback Holt, but after the P.E. bit, I demand this show does a flashback of Young Amy.  I bet she was hoot in school!

The cold opening was a good one; loved Amy's glee over the "And shooting blanks!" joke.  She was so proud of herself!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6

I was disappointed in this episode because I dislike aggressive ignorance -- in this case the many incorrect statements/jokes about vasectomies.  Had hoped that this show would be more intelligent than that.  I generally find Jake tedious anyway, but I adore Holt.

I'd have expected to dislike Jake, as I can't stand those smug manchild characters who've become so popular these days, so it's a huge credit to this show that I actually really like the guy. If I had to pick two favorite characters I'd go with Amy and Holt, both of whom are easily among my favorite characters currently on TV. I really love Rosa and Terry as well, though. I agree with the person who worries that they make Boyle a little *too* ridiculously pathetic sometimes, but I actually think is eagerness is really endearing overall, and his friendship with Jake does a lot to make both characters more likable for me. I dislike Gina, but even she was more tolerable than usual for me this past episode. 

This comment from the A.V. Club's review of this episode amused me:

Terry being a “Ross head” when it comes to Friends cuts me to the core. Come on, Terry—you’re better than that.
I dislike aggressive ignorance -- in this case the many incorrect statements/jokes about vasectomies.  Had hoped that this show would be more intelligent than that.

My take on it was that everyone (Jake included -- he did describe it correctly later in the episode) knew exactly how vasectomies work. They were just busting Terry's balls (ahem) about it, as work colleagues, particularly those in a down-to-earth sort of job, will do. And part of the game in such a situation is to maintain the straight face, and not break down and admit you were kidding.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 5

It's becoming redundant to say it, but this show is so fricking funny!

Loved the cold open, with the gang all weighing in on Terry's decision to get the snip, especially Jake deciding to believe it involves the penis being chopped off. Adored Amy sniping from the sidelines: "And blanks! Sorry, I just never get to think of jokes." Love her so much.

And she was extra adorable and funny (and needy) this week. "No offense." "None taken. People love their pets." Come on, Amy! You were doing so well at the end of last season! And of course she failed recess. Holt's not the only one who needs to smoke some weed. Loved her increasingly distressed expressions as she was forced to watch her two bosses hate each other. And how great was her little "oh my god!" to herself after she yelled at Holt?

Speaking of, Holt's bitter hatred of Wuntch was fun to watch, and the stilted, absolutely-no-chemistry interactions being passed off as hot sexual tension were great. I've no idea what happened with Derek Jeter, but it'd be great if they got him to cameo one day, and he remembers Holt.

The pretentious, hipster douche chocolate milk bar was perfect. Of course they don't just serve normal chocolate milk. Reminds me of the sort of people who claim to only like 70% cocoa dark chocolate. Posers.

Looks like they've hit on a surefire winning formula as well. It consists of getting Terry Crews to act crazy, and it's amazing. Him playing Terry high on anaesthetic was hilarious. "And they made me black". Everything he said had me laughing out loud so much I kept having to rewind the episode.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

Following on his mature declaration to Amy last week, I appreciated the writers cementing that with Jake being sincerely hurt that Terry did not consider him a friend he could call for a ride to the hospital.  He seemed genuinely taken aback that he was just a work friend.  I liked that, without dialling back on the comments and the comedy, Jake still tried to do his best to be supportive, even down to pulling his badge to stop the surgery.  Medicated Terry was beyond awesome, no filter and no balance. 

I love Amy and Holt too.  I got in trouble for reading during recess instead of being active so I share Amy's shame!  Kyra Sedgwick and Holt were excellent together; their delivery was bone-dry and the Derek Jeter part was brilliant, given the timing.  I thought I was sick of hearing about Derek Jeter, but I was wrong!  I continue to like Rosa but I hope she and Boyle never get together.  I don't mind his earnestness, but he's way too needy.

This show is totally worth missing most of the latter half of Once Upon A Time.

the way he asked felt like he's 100% over trying to woo her and was just trying to get a friend to do him an onerous favor.

I'd like to note that I made that post just before powering everything down and going to bed last night, and as I was shutting off the computer I thought, "Dammit, I should have said 'trying to cajole a friend.'"

OF COURSE hipsters can find a way to ruin even chocolate milk, damn it!

I loved the combination of Rosa's deadpan expression and her insane Jamaica themed outfit. I like that she is trying to be a better friend to Boyle. Even more important than going to the party with him was telling him that she was going to help him find a new place to live so that he won't be living in his ex-wife's basement anymore.

I got in trouble for reading during recess instead of being active so I share Amy's shame!

Seriously?! In US high schools, somebody monitors the students activities during recess? Damn! I usually used the recess to finish the homework I've neglected at home.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

High-schoolers in the US don't get recess; it's a grade-school thing only, and often only the lower grades where a) the average kid needs a little bit of running-around time to keep them from going completely off the rails and b) they're trying to foster the habit of regular physical activity for fun.