Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: A Tale Of Two Sisters

• Start Topic

The real explanation is this: the writers want to drag out Hook/Emma romance for as long as possible without using the soapy clichés a la "Ex is back from the dead! Amnesia! Curse! Contrived misunderstandings!" (although I'm sure it will come to that eventually) and without giving the characters enough screen time to create something more logical and interesting. 

I agree with this. Because the writers basically seem to have pulled a reason out of thin air overnight as to why she is pulling back a little from Hook. At least if it was over guilt about Regina it would be understandable (even if not reasonable). This seemed as contrived as Rumple finding the Mickey Mouse hat in the random empty mansion Belle found in her woods. Hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

For a character reason, it could be so he doesn't accidentally snag things as he walks by.

That seems a reasonable explanation! Besides, the metal might pull on his muscles if he left his arm hanging. 

Regarding the whole Hook convo, we don't even know if Emma is still calling her parents mom and dad or if she went back to Mary Margaret and David since they literally devoted 30 seconds of screen time to them where Emma and David didn't even speak a word to each other. 

• Love 5

Well, why include Charming, Snow, and Emma doubling their amount of lines for the episode when we can devote endless hours to Regina's angst?

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say he's being needy or even that he wants to put a name on whatever has started.  I think it's fine for him to call her out on avoiding him which is something Emma has basically done to everyone in her entourage once or twice.  I think he was also out to prove the point that when there's no crisis, it's okay to just live in the moment which everyone in town seems to be able to do, including the Charmings.

But I just don't understand why Hook thinks she's avoiding him when she went home last night with her family, slept, and is now walking down Main Street to/from breakfast at Granny's with them. That is normal human behavior, not any sort of freaking avoidance. Was she supposed to show up at his door (does he even have a door) at 6am and throw herself into his arms? Does he need to get a cell phone so Emma can text him 24/7 and reassure him that she still wuvs him? I get what they were going for, but it was just super awkward all the way around, and really did Hook no favors. At best, he came off as clingy and needy.

• Love 5

But I just don't understand why Hook thinks she's avoiding him when she went home last night with her family, slept, and is now walking down Main Street to/from breakfast at Granny's with them. That is normal human behavior, not any sort of freaking avoidance. Was she supposed to show up at his door (does he even have a door) at 6am and throw herself into his arms? Does he need to get a cell phone so Emma can text him 24/7 and reassure him that she still wuvs him? I get what they were going for, but it was just super awkward all the way around, and really did Hook no favors. At best, he came off as clingy and needy.

Yeah.  That would've worked better in a second or third episode, after they've not really spent time together for a while.

Maybe it's because his last actual relationship was 300 years ago, stuck on a ship where they saw each other pretty much 23.5/7?  That's a pretty high "togetherness" bar.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2

I think she did brush him off. He came up to give her info about Regina's whereabouts, and she's just like "yeah cool" barely looks at him and keeps walking. "Avoiding" was probably too strong a word but it would have been polite to say "thanks for checking. Let's catch up later."

• Love 5

I think she did brush him off. He came up to give her info about Regina's whereabouts, and she's just like "yeah cool" barely looks at him and keeps walking.

Yeah, he'd obviously talked to Emma earlier because he'd been sent to check out the crypt to see if Regina was there and she pretty much brushed him off here. Then later in the woods, she admits that she was avoiding him. Despite the fact that it was only a few hours since they'd kissed, I think Hook was feeling the chill and worried that Emma was being Emma and retrenching behind her walls after coming out to play for a bit. With her, it's best to nip that tendency right away or you're likely to have to start all over again.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 7

Yeah, he'd obviously talked to Emma earlier because he'd been sent to check out the crypt to see if Regina was there and she pretty much brushed him off here. Then later in the woods, she admits that she was avoiding him. Despite the fact that it was only a few hours since they'd kissed, I think Hook was feeling the chill and worried that Emma was being Emma and retrenching behind her walls after coming out to play for a bit. With her, it's best to nip that tendency right away or you're likely to have to start all over again.

This is exactly the way I took it from the context in show. She barely turned while he was talking to her. He is not going to take her walling him off without calling her on it. His tag line last night was about fighting for what you want. Hook knows all about fighting, just now he is fighting for his happy ending.

• Love 2
This is exactly the way I took it from the context in show. She barely turned while he was talking to her. He is not going to take her walling him off without calling her on it.

And honestly, I think Emma needs that. I think she needs that person who's not going to let her be a (metaphorical) sullen teenager locked up in her room because I think that's where most everyone else has gotten it wrong. They've let her retreat, and she's interpreted it as them giving up on her. So, yes, Hook called her on her shit, but she was closing off again and I think he just didn't want to see her disappear behind her walls again, as much for her sake as for his.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 3

Incidentally, the term "prick tease" or "cock tease" is a monumentally chauvinistic term implying a woman is supposed to be sexually available on demand. It's also used to justify sexual assault and rape because, hey, how much is "Nice Guy" supposed to take?

Thank you. I think if Emma continues to kiss Hook then withdraw from him with little to no justification while knowing he has very strong feelings for her, then that would be unfair and immature of her, but that issue is emotional not sexual. (And I also don't think it is an issue yet because it has literally been a day). 

• Love 9

At some point though, Hook will need to stop calling her out. We don't want people to coddle Regina. Same thing applies to Emma. She has learnt some valuable lessons from her Time Travel adventure. She needs to start applying them. Otherwise, it will make their romance seem damn one-sided. I do think that Hook could have waited for another day or two before calling her out on the brush-offs.

• Love 1

Does anyone wonder who has been feeding and taking care of Sidney for the last year? And why hasn't that person reported this guy stuck in the basement to someone?

No, I don't wonder. He was held in the lower bowels of the hospital, in what was supposed to mimic a mental ward from the early 70s. The staff would have feed and cared for the patients, so no calling anyone. The way Regina just sashayed in, no one wondering what Madame (ex-?)Mayor was doing going to the mental ward, tells me that Regina has "her" people in charge of that ward.

That is still no excuse for why Sidney had caveman hair, except to show time passed. It didn't have to be Classic Sidney hair, just not stereotypical "crazy person" hair.

Otherwise, it will make their romance seem damn one-sided. I do think that Hook could have waited for another day or two before calling her out on the brush-offs.

Except that two days can be several episodes on this show, so it really would feel like they were dragging the angst out if he did that. I'll take "jumping the gun a little" over "painfully plodding and stretched out."

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 5
I do think that Hook could have waited for another day or two before calling her out on the brush-offs.

I chalk that up to the writers wanting to address the issue right away, and not really caring about how much "actual time" has passed in-show. But also in Hook's defense, he literally just confessed to this woman last night that he gave up his ship/home to rescue her - a big fat I Love You in his mind - and had a passionate make out session. Now it's the next morning, and Emma sends him on a mission to check out the mausoleum by himself and doesn't even bother with eye contact when he tries talking to her. He's probably just a bit nervous that his confession might have scared her off after she's had a night to think it over.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 8

Belle spent 28 years locked up in the hospital dungeon, you'd think by now someone would have checked to see who else Regina had locked up down there, especially Rumpel.

I was so excited to see Michael Socha's name in the opening credits and he wasn't even in this episode.

• Love 3
At some point though, Hook will need to stop calling her out. We don't want people to coddle Regina. Same thing applies to Emma. She has learnt some valuable lessons from her Time Travel adventure. She needs to start applying them.

I completely agree that this can't be a long-term solution and at some point, Emma needs to stand on her own two feet and take those leaps of faith. It's just that Emma's Time Travel Life Lessons aren't even 24 hours old yet. Regina's I'm Making Myself Miserable Life Lessons have been coming at her for decades (especially considering she actually felt all 28 years of the Curse). I'm willing to give Emma a little bit more TV time before I start wishing the other characters would stop coddling her.

• Love 2

Does anyone wonder who has been feeding and taking care of Sidney for the last year? And why hasn't that person reported this guy stuck in the basement to someone?

No, I don't wonder. He was held in the lower bowels of the hospital, in what was supposed to mimic a mental ward from the early 70s. The staff would have feed and cared for the patients, so no calling anyone. The way Regina just sashayed in, no one wondering what Madame (ex-?)Mayor was doing going to the mental ward, tells me that Regina has "her" people in charge of that ward.

That is still no excuse for why Sidney had caveman hair, except to show time passed. It didn't have to be Classic Sidney hair, just not stereotypical "crazy person" hair.

Belle spent 28 years locked up in the hospital dungeon, you'd think by now someone would have checked to see who else Regina had locked up down there, especially Rumpel.

I was so excited to see Michael Socha's name in the opening credits and he wasn't even in this episode.

I think the jig should have been up on that locked ward sometime after Belle got out.  She is the type of person who would care about who else was down there, and numerous other people like Archie, Dr. Whale and Emma should have been all over that.   But this is Regina's world, everyone else is just living in it. 

• Love 3

Except that two days can be several episodes on this show, so it really would feel like they were dragging the angst out if he did that. I'll take "jumping the gun a little" over "painfully plodding and stretched out."

I wish that were true. I rather think that the writers are warning us in advance of more angst to come. I don't mind angst, as long as it's not idiotic (like the dumb kiss-curse). :-p

I completely agree that this can't be a long-term solution and at some point, Emma needs to stand on her own two feet and take those leaps of faith. It's just that Emma's Time Travel Life Lessons aren't even 24 hours old yet. Regina's I'm Making Myself Miserable Life Lessons have been coming at her for decades (especially considering she actually felt all 28 years of the Curse). I'm willing to give Emma a little bit more TV time before I start wishing the other characters would stop coddling her.

I'm not saying Hook is coddling her right now, but I was disagreeing with the idea that Emma needs to be someone who will call her out on her shit. Maybe in general it is good, but in this case, Hook's feelings are on the line. I love the idea that Hook is Emma's friend, but Emma needs a girlfriend (who's not Regina) to discuss matters of the heart. I would prefer that someone else called her out on such occasion (like Mary Margaret or Elsa). I want Emma to recognize that Hook's happiness matters too, which I'm not really seeing right now (nor did I see that in 3B), while Hook is all about Emma's happiness. I don't want it to happen overnight, but I want her to start moving in that direction. The CS moments were not bad, and even good in some ways, but some of the dialogue and pacing of the conversations felt clunky. But that's also a general criticism of the writing, which included nobody batting an eyelid over the fact that Anna literally walked out (or sailed off) on her Wedding Day.

So, I finally saw the full episode (it was a long day at work) and I didn't like it very much. I never imagine I would say this, because I didn't like Frozen and I've been very vocal about my dislike for it and this storyline, but it was the only part from the episode I actually liked. Well, I don't like the girl playing Anna but I loved Elsa and I liked Kristoff and the troll well enough. But the Storybrooke stuff? I hated all of it. I knew I was going to be frustrated with Hook and Emma, but not that much and not in the first episode. And I prefer not to talk about Regina, because I can say something inappropiate.

I want Emma to recognize that Hook's happiness matters too, which I'm not really seeing right now (nor did I see that in 3B), while Hook is all about Emma's happiness.

When she was talking to Regina about her happy ending I was thinking about Hook. He is her friend, and a better one than Regina, so she should worry a bit about his happy ending too, before the next monster kills him (that line was totally foreshadowing). I'm not talking about romance here, but friendship.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 7

Yeah, during Regina's scenes I had to pause the video and vent to my husband (who doesn't watch the show) about how much I hate this storyline and how they've completely ruined Robin Hood and that I'd quit this show if I couldn't share my frustrations with similarly-minded people. It's even worse than Rumbelle. At least during their scenes, I simply got distracted because Belle manages to make everything around her boring. I didn't even noticed he froze her with magic. Dammit, that's cold.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

Olaf

is not supposed to appear

. I am very fond of Marshmallow, the big snow monster. I liked what they did with his textures and with the blue glowing cracks. The worst CGI for me was the ship at the beginning. It looked like a toy in a bath tub. Small things like the flakes that appear when Elsa became afraid were just lovely. 

Marian - I loved that she was angry and confused about Regina and also that she pulled a bow and arrow on the snow monster even after all of our Big Damn Heros were knocked over. I can see why she was on Team Bandit Snow in the Enchanted Forest. I also don't see the problem with her asking for help. Anyway, I hope she remains feisty. 

Over all I like the episode. I knew they would have a lot to do but think the show did a pretty good job. There were a lot of little character things that made me happy. 

As for Elsa's costume I was a bit disappointed in it as well. I'm working on one for my daughter for Halloween and have looked at dozens of Elsa cosplays and so many are better. The costume is so iconic I fear the actress is stuck in that thing. Fortunately, the parts around the shoulders isn't too bad. Hopefully there won't be too many more power walks down main street. (When I shopping for the fabric for my daughter's costume there were 4 of us in line at the cutting table. Three were making an Elsa.) 

Edited by MedievalGirl
  • Love 2
As for Elsa's costume I was a bit disappointed in it as well. I'm working on one for my daughter for Halloween and have looked at dozens of Elsa cosplays and so many are better. The costume is so iconic I fear the actress is stuck in that thing. Fortunately, the parts around the shoulders isn't too bad. Hopefully there won't be too many more power walks down main street. (When I shopping for the fabric for my daughter's costume there were 4 of us in line at the fabric table. Three were making an Elsa.)

Yeah, I've also seen better cosplays. I don't know why the costuming department chose this one, but they're hit-or-miss, generally - just look at Belle's ridiculous skirts and stripper heels (not to mention last season's hot pants and tights).

Edited by FurryFury

I would really love it if Marian was brought in to be the voice of commonsense (and us viewers) to point out how crazy it is that this mass murderer is an accepted member of the community and allowed to walk around freely.  Especially with people saying things like “well nobody is incinerated yet” when we JUST witnessed Regina burn Snow at the stake and thoroughly enjoy it.   Marian is right; Regina IS a monster.  If we needed any more proof, we then see poor Sydney unjustly imprisoned by her TWICE (and who knows who else is still disappeared into that secret hospital wing). 
However, it is obvious that Marian is just a plot device/obstacle for Woegina’s happy ending and will not be developed especially with A&E’s attention being taken by their shiny new Frozen playset.

While I couldn't care less about Hook and Emma, her not being interested in nooky because she "feels guilty" about Regina was ridiculous even if she was just using it as an excuse!  At least she said one smart thing last night about not apologizing for saving a life.  However the fact that she had to come out and say it, is just sad.

• Love 3

When she was talking to Regina about her happy ending I was thinking about Hook. He is her friend, and a better one than Regina, so she should worry a bit about his happy ending too, before the next monster kills him (that line was totally foreshadowing). I'm not talking about romance here, but friendship.

I think that's what they're leading up to with this. Anna walks out on her Wedding Day over a vague hope that she can help her sister out on a non-urgent matter. Emma keeps putting off her own life so she can focus on Regina's happiness (WTF). In the meantime, Hooks gets put in mortal danger, and this will make Emma realize she needs to live her life, and not take her pirate for granted. Anna will probably have the same epiphany about Kristoff. Basically, a rehash of Emma's arc every season. Someone she cares about dies, or almost dies before she accepts her feelings for them.

• Love 6

Luckily, knowing they'd be doing Frozen this season -- possibly at least for the first half -- I caught the movie on Starz for the first time ever just last week to bone up on it.  And I'm so glad I did!  So many nods!  Elsa!  Anna!  Kristoff!  Sven!  The trolls!  A mention of Hans and his twelve older brothers!  The snow monster!  All we were missing was an Olaf appearance!  What fun!

How long do you all think it'll be till a "Let it Go" reference is made, though?

As for the Storybrooke half . . . I didn't hate it.  But yeah, there could've been more for the core characters.  Though since everyone else has touched on other things I wanted to note, I'll just end here.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 2

I absolutely hated that we got a repeat of the Zelena battle scene where Hook, Emma, Robin and co were knocked out and Regina had to save the day. Making that much laughable is that Regina appeared from nowhere with absolutely no reason for being there. She spoke to nobody, saved the day and then left.

They should have at least given us a reason for her to be there (Grumpy yelling outside her window about how Emma and Robin were about to die or a pleading phone call message from Henry for help). Nope. She pops up in the middle of the forrest in a blindingly white suit and pumps to save the day - just a brief stop on her way from one business meeting to another.

Why can't the other characters be useful once in a while?

• Love 14

I automatically record Once and was able to watch after The Good Wife. I absolutely hated the episode and I am a Once lover. Been there through thick and thin. Was looking forward to a new season. But, to me, this was a jumbled up hot mess as if Sleepy were driving the plot all over the place. I am so disappointed.

• Love 4

I personally liked the premiere. I'm glad Regina brought up finding out where the book comes from/who controls it; that's something I've been wanting to know since season 1. Also, nice to see Sydney return. Rumpel finding the sorcerer's hat was an unexpected plot development. I do like that he made sure Belle has his real dagger rather than a fake one. The only plot I don't care for is the romance delay for Emma and Hook. I'm ready to have that set already so they can stop with the love drama.

They also mentioned the name of the EF was Misthaven (spelling?). Have they said that in the past or something, because I didn't know it had a name until this point.

Oh, I'm so glad that Cindy's recapping this somewhere because I was rather disappointed in this site's "recap." I love them forever for providing us this forum, but I don't think I'll be reading the coverage for this show. I felt like I must have seen a different version.

Anyway, coming in late because I didn't get to watch until late last night and then had to catch up on life stuff this morning before I could freely play online. It may have just been that I was utterly exhausted, but I found the episode mostly "meh." I liked Frozen but am not obsessed, and since I deal often with small children, I've been known to think the words "Make it Stop" to the tune of "Let it Go." That said, I think the Frozen stuff was the only part where I perked up while watching this. TV Anna is just as adorkable as her movie counterpart, and while skipping her wedding to dash off on a mission to help her sister is rather stupidly impulsive, it seems entirely in character for her (remember, this is the chick who got engaged to a near stranger after one musical number and who then charged off into a snowstorm on her own, with no preparation). I like TV Elsa better than movie Elsa, who pretty much left me cold (no pun intended). I loved the effect of the little snow flurries around her when she was upset and distracted. I wonder how many effects were involved in doing "Sven" because that was a rather brilliant acting job by a reindeer. Or did they just film the reindeer a long time and edit in the snorts and movements that seemed to fit the scene?

I don't even know what the hell they're thinking with Regina anymore. She almost belongs on that thing that my friends with kids keep passing around Facebook about "reasons my toddler is crying." Or else she's a lovesick tween. If the other characters were allowed to react realistically to her, I wouldn't have minded so much her behavior in this episode because she is a sociopathic narcissist, and she was acting consistently with that. The problem is that nobody's behavior makes any sense at all in light of recent episodes. As others have said, if they're all worried that she's going to start flinging fireballs and going on a murderous rampage, then they must not have actually believed in her redemption, and then what are they doing hanging around with her and letting her have any contact with Henry? Not to mention the fact that she was not too long ago doing True Love's kiss with the son she utterly ditched to wallow in her anger and hurt about the breakup of her two-date relationship and she was wielding the most powerful light magic ever while keeping someone locked up for her own crimes and while her heart was in the kind of state where she'd instantly want to murder a woman so she could have that woman's husband. If they wanted Regina to flip out this much, they needed to have established much more of a relationship between her and Robin. As it is, I was all "Oh, come on, put on your big evil queen panties and grow the hell up." The "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" homage just sabotaged both Regina and Emma and made them both look silly. With Regina, they flip-flop so much that they need to spell out what they want me to think, but I'm assuming that getting the flashback with Marian made Regina think that maybe she really was a monster, and that's why she went out there to help and prove that she wasn't, but then she went right back to the Land Without Self-Awareness in thinking that because she doesn't have a boyfriend Right!Now! she isn't getting the happy ending she deserves for not killing people for maybe a whole year. That's the big thing I want someone to call her own because it is possible to have a happy ending without romance. Lots of people don't kill people and still don't find true love.

I was thinking "oh, yeah, there's no way this could go wrong or backfire" when she was talking about getting the book rewritten so she'd get what she deserves and so she could create a world where villains get happy endings because I'm not sure she'd like getting what she deserves, and a world where villains get happy endings would be pretty horrible. And then I remembered what show I'm watching. I don't think they think along those lines.

I picked up my knitting during the Beauty and the Beast dance because I didn't want an upset stomach. They can't ruin that movie for me! I won't let them! I'm not worried about Mickey Mouse playing any role here because the whole point of the Sorcerer's Apprentice cartoon was that Mickey wasn't the rightful owner of the hat.

As for the Charmings and Hook, I got the feeling that the bit of "you're avoiding me/be patient" translates to: "We know that they've just reached a big relationship milestone, but there was so much else going on in this episode that we couldn't deal with it properly, so we used a delaying tactic to defer it to a future episode." I did love Emma and Hook's reactions to the snow monster.

• Love 7

I absolutely hated that we got a repeat of the Zelena battle scene where Hook, Emma, Robin and co were knocked out and Regina had to save the day. Making that much laughable is that Regina appeared from nowhere with absolutely no reason for being there. She spoke to nobody, saved the day and then left.

They should have at least given us a reason for her to be there (Grumpy yelling outside her window about how Emma and Robin were about to die or a pleading phone call message from Henry for help). Nope. She pops up in the middle of the forrest in a blindingly white suit and pumps to save the day - just a brief stop on her way from one business meeting to another.

Why can't the other characters be useful once in a while?

Yeah, I hated that Regina was, once again, the one to save the day. But she actually had a reason to be there. When she was talking with Sidney before she putting him back in the mirror (yay for reformed Regina), they were in her crypt. So she was probably going back home from there when she found the snow monster.

I've rewatched the scene between Emma and Hook, and the netflix line is so ridiculous. It's totally Adam and Eddy mocking the fans who want to see the characters doing something that is not running around like headless chickens. I'm probably going to lose my Captain Swan Shipper Card, but I hated that scene, all of it, including the kiss. Emma comes off from that scene like she is bipolar.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 3

But I have had it up to here with Regina. She is so busy whining about HER happiness and HER love and HER life that she never stops to consider what it's like for Robin's kid to have his mother back or for Marian to have her freedom and her family back. No one should be allowed happiness if it interferes with Regina's!

I will give Regina a little tiny bit of latitude here, although her indignation at the thought that killing and torturing people might have consequences never ceases to annoy me. (Actually, no, I wouldn't mind her whining if the show's creators didn't seem to think we should sympathize with her.) Anyway, whatever else I blame her for, I can't blame her for not thinking about Robin and Roland first in this situation. I'm more of a Snow than an Evil Queen, but when I recently found out that an ex who became an ex because of massive commitment phobia is now in a long-term relationship... well, my first thoughts were not that I was pleased that he had found someone to help him over his issues. Not that I started gathering ingredients to go back in time and murder the new girlfriend, but... being angry or irritated that someone else got what you wanted in itself isn't a huge problem for me. Not getting over it, or attacking the people in question is.

• Love 6
But she actually had a reason to be there. When she was talking with Sidney before she putting him back in the mirror (yay for reformed Regina), they were in her crypt. So she was probably going back home from there when she found the snow monster.

The geography of Storybrooke is a little fluid, but isn't the crypt near the town itself? Robin and his Merry Men are supposed to be camping near the town line. Also, in that outfit, I'd poof myself back and forth. I wouldn't be treking through the woods and I don't see Regina as the type to do that either.  She poofs away from there.

• Love 1

You can tell in this episode Regina really didn't care about Robin. She wasn't mad because she lost someone she loved, she was mad because she didn't get her "happy ending". From what I saw, I don't believe the triangle really matters, at least to her. I knew Outlaw Queen was just a bonus for her from the start, so it wasn't shocking. In one way I'm glad it's not about romantic angst, but on the other it just spotlights how selfish Regina truly is. At least we didn't get a fresh new revenge pledge on Emma, Marian or Robin.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

No, I don't wonder. He was held in the lower bowels of the hospital, in what was supposed to mimic a mental ward from the early 70s. The staff would have feed and cared for the patients, so no calling anyone.

Except the question was about who fed him in the last year.  There was nobody in Storybrooke the last year.  They all were in the Enchanted Forest.  Was Sydney there too?  If not, where was he?

• Love 1

At least we didn't get a fresh new revenge pledge on Emma, Marian or Robin.

No. Regina's turned to inanimate objects now. I guess I understand why the library was closed for 28 years. Books are evil. They hate villains and they must be stopped! 

• Love 8
I would assume he got taken back to the Enchanted Forest...perhaps he was in Knifingham's dungeons and Regina just forgot about him there, too, while her guards kept dutifully feeding him?

Wouldn't he have just been returned to his form as the Magic Mirror back in the EF? The way Archie turned back into a cricket?

• Love 1

Wouldn't he have just been returned to his form as the Magic Mirror back in the EF? The way Archie turned back into a cricket?

That's what I think. Which means Regina either never looked at a mirror in the whole year, or that she needs to "summon" Sidney for him to appear in front of her. 

I have a five year old daughter, so I've seen Frozen about a million (give or take 999,900) times at this point. I was kind of dreading the Elsa and Anna storyline, but I thought it was pretty good. Looks-wise, they cast the parts really well (especially Kristoff), although I'm with everyone who thinks Elsa's dress looks like a cheap Party City costume and her hair is too ratty--she should be MUCH more fabulous. That said, I thought the Grand Pabbie CGI was pretty good, and I was glad Kristoff wasn't speaking for Sven the way he does in the movie.

I'm afraid I don't have much to add on Regina that hasn't already been said--selfish, whiny, etc. I can't root for her while they're making her into a petulant child.

Finally, if Emma doesn't want Hook, she can just send him right on over to me (I'm sure Mr. Nutjob won't mind, right?).

• Love 2

Frozen had a lot of plot holes and stuff but I loved it anyway and was overall quite pleased with the casting and depiction of Frozen characters and scenes so far.  Even the Marshmallow wasn't that bad.  Papa Troll was pretty perfect and they even made Anna and Elsa's parents' gravesite, of all things, look just like in the movie.  I'm not saying they have to do every fairy tale exactly the Disney way and never add any new aspects to stories, but I was glad to see them stick close to the movie in this instance.  So far no signs of having it turn out that Hans was really Regina or Rumpel in disguise or something else annoying like that.

(I am still suffering flashbacks because Peter Pan turned out to be Rumpel's dad and almost simultaneously older and younger than his son etc.  Bzzzt.  Bzzzt.)

Elsa and Anna were pretty perfectly cast and garbed.  I thought Kristoff didn't look quite "himself" but I didn't hate him.  And hi, Sven!  The only thing that really annoyed me is that it just didn't look realistic for Elsa to walk around everywhere in her frozen dress and once Anna tried on their mother's wedding gown she was wearing it everywhere, too, in the fairy-backs.  Like does she use it for a nightgown also?  It just looks funny on live action characters as opposed to the cartoon counterparts.  I do like to see them in their elaborate Disney-fied costumes but it needs to get toned down for what is supposed to be the characters' daily lives.  The outfit Anna was wearing on the boat I did like.  It looked almost exactly like what Anna wore for most of the movie.

I half expected Emma to start singing "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" when she talked to Regina through the door.

Me too.  So does this mean Emma and Regina are like sisters?  Hack, kaff.

I liked the angle with the parents going on a mysterious journey (though now I'm worried this mystery will evaporate when we find out the "surprise" that they were planning to go see... Rumpelstiltskin, and they had made a deal a long time ago and Elsa's powers was the "price" they paid).

Oh lordy.  I could see them going this way.  Please no, Show.  I've always enjoyed watching Rumpel because I like Robert Carlisle's acting, but even so I think it'd be really tired and a real retread if they did this.

And finally, I actually found the Rumple/Belle stuff just as bad as Regina for once.  Robert is a good actor, but no one can make a scene work when it's meant to provide exposition for new viewers.  That long-winded explanation at the gravesite about how he switched daggers and lied to Belle?  Telling some made-up story about Baelfire we never saw?  That was an extremely clunky way to get new viewers up to speed and completely took me out of the scene, much less made me feel for the loss of his son.  Freezing Belle like that was just sick.  It reminded me of Regina mind-wiping Henry.  And then following that with the Beauty and the Beast dance almost sullied that iconic scene from the animated movie.  Ick!

All this times 1000.  And if they were gonna have that crappy exposition, they should have at least cut out the sappy story about Baelfire and the first time that Rumpel felt like a man who could protect his son blah blah whatever.  Go cry over your cornhusk doll and come back when interesting again!

Whatever the heck is going on with Regina I don't even know anymore.  So is she still planning on trying to go back in time or what?  Because she really thwarted herself by not just hiding behind a tree and letting the Marshmallow kill Maid Marian.  She wouldn't have been blamed since no one would even have to know she knew about the Marshmallow or was around to stop it, and she wouldn't have to dig up all the cockamamie ingredients for a time travel recipe and what not.  I mean if she's evil enough to kill Marian outright, why wouldn't she be evil enough to just stand by and let the Marshmallow do the work for her?

(And just for the record, even though I'm not rooting for Regina in this relationship, I did think Robin handled the whole thing in a douche-baggy manner.)

This is really very annoying because Lana Parrilla and Robert Carlisle are IMO awesome but watching their characters on this show is an exercise in frustration.  If those two cannot sell me this crap then it is indeed crap.

• Love 2