Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 9/29/14

• Start Topic

Mo 9/29: Alicia Keys, Karen Gillan, John Cho

Tu 9/30: Lena Dunham, Analeigh Tipton, Jake McDorman, the latest eliminated couple from "Dancing with the Stars"

We 10/1: Jeff Garlin, Ron Perlman

Th 10/2: Melissa Etheridge

Fr 10/3: B.J. Novak

Why on earth was RO in a sweat suit? Nicole and RP always wear dressy clothes and RO looks out of place the past couple of days. The first few episodes RO wore dressy clothes.

What school did/does her children go to that children are not allowed to be around any media and how is that possible ? Did I misunderstand what she was saying?

What school did/does her children go to that children are not allowed to be around any media and how is that possible ? Did I misunderstand what she was saying?

I think her kids went to Montessori school, which has strict policies about any sort of screen time for young children. From comments I've heard her make in the past, it sounds like she mostly ignored that policy for her kids.

Oops, I'm watching it now and she said Waldorf/Steiner, not Montessori.

Edited by canter

When Rosie P was saying the date and time for that new show Selfie did I hear her say NBC instead of ABC? I had to do something once they went to break so if they mentioned any correction after that I missed it.

People can sign those kind of agreements to keep their kids away from media till the cows come home but in this day and age I don't see how it can be stuck to. Especially if the kids have friends outside of these schools and them just living life in general especially older ones.

I give the Whoopie and Rosie show (opening segment) a huge pass normally because they work really well off of each other. Had they stopped the Palin bit with Rosie's "Comedy is hard" punchline, I think, maybe, it would have been fine. Continuing as they did caused me to FF for the first time during Hot Topics this season; to me they came off as quintessential mean girls and it made me feel as uncomfortable as I would watching any comedian bomb. I'm sure there's footage of other politicians on both sides bombing when trying their hand at comedy. If it was a regular segment or motif to skewered these people (both male and female), I'd be much more appreciative of the routine.

Why on earth was RO in a sweat suit? Nicole and RP always wear dressy clothes and RO looks out of place the past couple of days. The first few episodes RO wore dressy clothes.

I thought she looked cute and sporty, but it made me think of a bit Kathy Griffin used to do, where she talked about Rosie getting dressed up and putting on her "good sweats." Hee!

Edited by canter
  • Love 5

I think they could find a way for her to dress comfortable and casual and not resort to hoodies though.

I think the show is a little boring and everyone is playing it safe. As maddening as Elisabeth and Star used to be, it was kinda fun when a batshit crazy person was on the panel.

• Love 3

So new chairs are coming. I don't mind the ones they have, but I know if I was one of the co-hosts I would probably have a similar problem to Whoopi as far as I have to sit all the way back or on the edge.

That's actually an interesting school Rosie O was talking about. Honestly, it would be hard for me to go completely without media altogether, although I do think it would be a better lifestyle.

When Rosie P was saying the date and time for that new show Selfie did I hear her say NBC instead of ABC? I had to do something once they went to break so if they mentioned any correction after that I missed it.

People can sign those kind of agreements to keep their kids away from media till the cows come home but in this day and age I don't see how it can be stuck to. Especially if the kids have friends outside of these schools and them just living life in general especially older ones.

Yes Rosie P said NBC.... and they corrected it later in the show...... she said she was mortified

Edited by RogerFromOhio

Rosie O was being disingenuous about the media rule in their house. The kids do watch TV and are on the computer because she's said as much in interviews and on her radio show. Her kids introduced her to The Fosters and she fell in love with the show so much that she has a guest starring role on the show.

I think she pays lip service to what the school wants and keeps the media exposure low in her house.

• Love 1

(Somewhat) structured jacket, shoes that didn't hurt my eyes as much , LEGGINGS...who is this Whoopi Goldberg?!  Last few years it seems she seemed relieved when Hot Topics were over because she didn't need to deal with the stupidity for 24 hours.  Now she's  like "(sigh) we need to end it here" but she seems more RELAXED.  

I need to see Alicia's birth certificate.  She looks exactly the same as when she first broke out 13 years ago!

As maddening as Elisabeth and Star used to be, it was kinda fun when a batshit crazy person was on the panel.

Morbs, I agree.  I think the show needs a little bit of crazy.  I think they may have over-corrected.  But I no longer throw a  shoe at the tv or feel the need to take my blood pressure when it goes off.  I'm still counting on RO to go off just a little one day.  I think she is holding it in.  Nicolle is still feeling her way around, trying to fit in.  I think she will find her voice as she gets more comfortable.  The only one I find authentic is Rosie P.  I am really enjoying her.  She seems very natural and thoughtful.

• Love 3

Rosie O was being disingenuous about the media rule in their house. The kids do watch TV and are on the computer because she's said as much in interviews and on her radio show. Her kids introduced her to The Fosters and she fell in love with the show so much that she has a guest starring role on the show.

I think she pays lip service to what the school wants and keeps the media exposure low in her house.

That may be true, but to be fair, as I understand it the Waldorf schools discourage TV and computer etc use only for preteens. Since RO has 5 kids of varying ages, eventually she would have had one or more kids on and one or more off at the same time. I'm guessing that it's pretty tough to keep the younger ones completely segregated from the older ones in the same household when the TVs or computers are in use. The school's position is that too much electronic media is not good for kids in the early stages of child development (which I generally agree with), but I think as much is anything it's also intended to be an added incentive to discourage parents from the tendency to use the TV or the computer as a babysitter for hours at a time.

• Love 1

I think RO looked adorable today! It was a little discordant with the others' dressier outfits, but she wasn't wearing ratty faded old sweats.

I liked it too.  It's a bit too casual for hosting a daytime show, but if she's feeling comfortable wearing it, I don't see the harm.  Hell, compared to what Whoopi and Sherri wore in the past, this is a step up.  

• Love 6

I don't think they mentioned Eric Holder.

I'm torn about tomorrow's interview with Lena Dunham, because I just know Rosie will call her "sister friend" and sing her praises. I gave up on Girls the second season because I thought it was unbearable, yet I think Lena can be fun on Twitter. And when I read her New Yorker pieces, I think that they are something I should be reading on Tumblr and not The New Yorker. It has the potential to be a very annoying segment.

• Love 1

I really didn't mind Rosie's clothes today.

Much better than a cocktail dress - or sausage dress, or even shorts.

Plus isn't this how some of us dress when very casually meeting girlfriends.

Oh - forgot to mention "serious news journalist" clothes as well.

For me it is a 10am talk show here. LOL, and they are sitting at a kiddy table.

ETA - and Rosie was in hair and makeup before and her clothes looked very fresh and not used.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 4

I don't think they mentioned Eric Holder.

I'm torn about tomorrow's interview with Lena Dunham, because I just know Rosie will call her "sister friend" and sing her praises. I gave up on Girls the second season because I thought it was unbearable, yet I think Lena can be fun on Twitter. And when I read her New Yorker pieces, I think that they are something I should be reading on Tumblr and not The New Yorker. It has the potential to be a very annoying segment.

I'm not a huge Lena fan either, mostly because I just find her to be a bit too smug and deliberately confrontational for my taste, but I do think she has a voice that speaks to a lot of young women today.

• Love 1

I have been skipping the show lately, but watched Hot Topics today.  I'm struck by how much smarter the show is, and more enjoyable since the days of Bitsy and Sherri.

Two things -

Palin makes fun of the president, and looks like an idiot doing it.  They were able to talk about it, without having to dread Bitsy shrieking about how Obama clearly was disrespecting all the "men and women who defend our great country".

Then, they talk about a christian mom re-writing Harry Potter, making it about religion and miracles.  And they all were able to agree it was the wrong approach.   No Sherri jumping in and asking why "christian kids would have to be deprived of Harry Potter." 

The show just seems smarter, and closer to the original vision of intelligent conversations about issues that affect us all. 

• Love 14

That may be true, but to be fair, as I understand it the Waldorf schools discourage TV and computer etc use only for preteens. Since RO has 5 kids of varying ages, eventually she would have had one or more kids on and one or more off at the same time. I'm guessing that it's pretty tough to keep the younger ones completely segregated from the older ones in the same household when the TVs or computers are in use. The school's position is that too much electronic media is not good for kids in the early stages of child development (which I generally agree with), but I think as much is anything it's also intended to be an added incentive to discourage parents from the tendency to use the TV or the computer as a babysitter for hours at a time.

I believe back when the RO show was on, and her kids were young, Rosie used to say that they did not watch TV, however, they did watch lots of DVDs.  For some reason "Beauty and the Beast" seems to be the movie I recall her obsessing over at that time.

I'm loving the *new* VIew, and think the 4 women are doing a great job.  As someone who watched The View in the beginning, it's great to have intelligent women discussing topics again.

BTW, I'm a convert from TWOP and though I probably won't post much, I'll probably be lurking.

• Love 6

Maybe if Rosie dropped the crunchy Waldorf schtick she would realize there's a whole equally creative pixelated world outside of Frozen, lol. Is there some great moral difference between a Disney DVD and an hour of Nickelodeon? She's nowhere near as bad as that insufferable twat Madonna, though, who won't sully her children with television while whoring herself out to every camera lens from here to eternity.

• Love 8

Trying to tell if Whoopi is using her acting skills to pretend she likes it there or is actually happy and engaged. She is so UP today and seems fake to me.

Rosie P. said she has a medical condition (that she can't talk about) that she needs a cane. The other day, they talked about how she is in martial arts for years and showed a pic of her doing a pretty decent form with her master. Huh. Way to leave me hanging, lol.

Are we allowed to talk about the show while it's on here at Previously TV? Sorry if we are not! Couldn't find that specific rule.

• Love 1

Trying to tell if Whoopi is using her acting skills to pretend she likes it there or is actually happy and engaged. She is so UP today and seems fake to me.

Rosie P. said she has a medical condition (that she can't talk about) that she needs a cane. The other day, they talked about how she is in martial arts for years and showed a pic of her doing a pretty decent form with her master. Huh. Way to leave me hanging, lol.

Are we allowed to talk about the show while it's on here at Previously TV? Sorry if we are not! Couldn't find that specific rule.

RosieP was talking about having to use a cane when she visited the White House which I thought was some time ago & not really pertinent to the conversation.

Yes, we can blab all we want during the show!!

• Love 2

I thought Rosie P story about the cane when she visited the White House was because security had concerns about the cane being used as a weapon.

I wonder if she was injured and she sued.... and in the settlement there was a gag order so she cant speak about it

total speculation..... I wonder what year it was so we could investigate it  hmmmm

• Love 1

WRT the Harry Potter books, does anyone remember Elisabeth doing something similar? She bought a book and didn't like the way the story was told, so she ripped pages out and wrote over things?

Why buy the at all? There are millions of books to buy, why destroy a book because you're not smart enough to not buy it?

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 4

If Rosie is going to criticize US military intervention in an attempt to break and destroy ISIS, more power to her, but I sure do wish she would outline an alternative solution, then. I really want to hear her thought process on this and not just pacifist platitudes that make for great needlepoint. In Rosie's view, how many heads have to roll, literally, before the world acts?

• Love 6

That story about the woman making the "Christian" Harry Potter annoyed me so much. It sounds like she stole JK Rowlings' stories and changed all the magic into prayers and miracles (but does she keep the monsters? is the sorting ceremony a big prayer marathon?) Why can't she just make her own story about a group of kids going to a Christian boarding school where they pray all the time and miracles happen? She could probably create a better story about the power of prayer that way. Then again, if she did there would be a lot of people who wouldn't be drawn to buy it as a Christian Harry Potter (and when did stealing become Christian behavior?) it would just be some book at the Christian book store.

Actually, the more I think about it the less it makes sense to retell Harry Potter that way. But I'm probably giving it more thought than she did.

• Love 9

I believe back when the RO show was on, and her kids were young, Rosie used to say that they did not watch TV, however, they did watch lots of DVDs.  For some reason "Beauty and the Beast" seems to be the movie I recall her obsessing over at that time.

That is how I remember on her radio show and the DVD viewing would be on Friday nights. The kids would choose which DVD they wanted to watch.

Glad someone else finds Whoopi extra enthused and put on, or maybe the light bulb went on over her head that says she gets pretty darn good money for this gig and should act like she is engaged.

• Love 4

maybe the light bulb went on over her head that says she gets pretty darn good money for this gig and should act like she is engaged.

She makes the same money if she's engaged or not, I'll bet the reason for the new attitude is the company she's keeping.  Putting up with Sherry, Jenny, Bawa and Getty's bullshit had to have been demoralizing.

• Love 11

Did anyone else think the laughter was fake when they brought up John Cusack called Hollywood a whore house..... and Whoopi said "This is what happened to old hos"

Especially Rosie P..... but Rosie O threw her head back like it was the funniest thing ever said..... honestly I hate fake laughter

• Love 1

Issues discussed on The View seem to always have a piece missing.... The NFL "celebration" was being touted that he was flagged for praying.... which was not the case..... to be fair.... the NFL statement didnt really clarify it either.

I knew there is a rule about celebrating while on the ground.... too many players had a whole skit made up for TD celebrations... so they attempted to curb them...... so I did a little research on the religious aspect of it..... since Tim Tebow was known for his prayers on the field.

This is what I found.... http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article2324330.html

From the article

The league’s rule book prohibits players from celebrating while on the ground, but spokesman Michael Signora wrote in an email Tuesday that “the officiating mechanic in this situation is not to flag a player who goes to the ground as part of religious expression, and as a result, there should have been no penalty on the play.”

There are exceptions made for religious expressions, such as Tim Tebow’s prayer while kneeling. But Abdullah may have drawn the flag by sliding with both knees into the prayer.

“For me, I just got a little too excited,” Abdullah said. “I think it was for the slide.”

• Love 3

I knew there is a rule about celebrating while on the ground.... too many players had a whole skit made up for TD celebrations... so they attempted to curb them...... so I did a little research on the religious aspect of it..... since Tim Tebow was known for his prayers on the field.

I kept waiting for someone to explain that it was probably a results of the slide rather than the prayer.  They are never quite fully informed.  I guess someone reads a story, briefs them on the major points, and they don't have enough intellectual curiosity to research further.  They should try getting up an hour earlier.  I always thought Nana (BW) was well informed about the issues.

BTW, would anyone care to try to describe or explain Whoopi's outfit today.  I tried looking at it, but my eyes turned to pinwheels and I lost vision.

• Love 5

Observation (petty observation):  the interview with the actors from Manhattan Love Story featured Analeigh Tipton's very pale (pasty?) skin...face, arms, legs.  There too were the white face, white upper chest, and white arms of Nicolle Wallace.  But wait!  No white legs?  No!  Nicolle's legs are tanned...nicely "tanned," and not even a close match for the rest of her skin.  See...petty.

Putting up with Sherry, Jenny, Bawa and Getty's bullshit had to have been demoralizing.

It sure was for me, Sugarbaker Design...it sure was for a lot of us.

• Love 5

From what I hear the Christian HP ripoff is online fan fic. The View crew made it sould like a published book. It's just like any other fan fic on the Internet, not something that falls under copywrite laws.

Oh, and meant to add how fabulous it was to hear Nicole say she made phone calls to, you know, research and clarify the stories on the blue cards. What a concept! Know what you're talking about!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6

From what I hear the Christian HP ripoff is online fan fic. The View crew made it sould like a published book. It's just like any other fan fic on the Internet, not something that falls under copywrite laws.

That makes a lot more sense than what the hosts were talking about..... isnt it funny how they inflate issues to create drama to discuss.

I notice that we got a taste of DWTS.... probably an ABC demand.... along with the others guests from ABC shows

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 1

I remember that too.  Her kids attended a Waldorf school but they were in grade school and this was before Facebook, Twitter, tumbr, etc. blew up and kids could watch TV on their phones.   

Maybe if Rosie dropped the crunchy Waldorf schtick she would realize there's a whole equally creative pixelated world outside of Frozen, lol. Is there some great moral difference between a Disney DVD and an hour of Nickelodeon?

The biggest difference isn't the show but the commercials. 

I haven't posted for a few days because honestly, Whoopi is working my last nerve.   I know.  But all these good improvements with better co-hosts, new set, no Geddie and yet Whoopi is still the moderator.  I think she's still horrible at it.  Sure, she's acting more engaged but that's about it.  That sponsor giveaway last Friday was soooo awkward and that whole thing about Walmart before they talked about 'hot topic' involving Walmart was poorly done too in my opinion.  She dominates WAY  too much of the conversation after introducing a topic and yet still doesn't seem to know that much about it.   

I almost believe that story in that Daily Mail rag because after all these years Whoopi doesn't know how to moderate smoothly and I'm tired listening to her blather on with her bathroom jokes while RO appears to bite her tongue. 

One last note - today after the discussion about the Walmart truck that hit Tracy Morgan's car Rosie said something like, "There should be a union for truck drivers with rules about how long they can drive, etc."  I don't know if she was trying to be funny - I hope so.  Because no one at the table seemed to have ever heard of the TEAMSTERS.  Sheesh.  

• Love 14

One last note - today after the discussion about the Walmart truck that hit Tracy Morgan's car Rosie said something like, "There should be a union for truck drivers with rules about how long they can drive, etc."  I don't know if she was trying to be funny - I hope so.  Because no one at the table seemed to have ever heard of the TEAMSTERS.  Sheesh.  

I guess they also never heard of the DOT (Dept of Transportation) because it's the federal government who makes the rules on how long they can work/drive, not any union. 

• Love 6

Oh, dear, I did note that Nicolle was on a learning curve but it seems she's learning her interview skills from Bitsy:

Hi, guest.  Rather than following up on that rather interesting thing you just said, I'm going to ask you a question that has nothing to do with anything.  But first, I'm going to tell a personal anecdote that vaguely relates to the topic which I'll have to read verbatim from this blue card...uh oh... I looked up...big mistake:  now I've lost my place.  What was I talking about?  Puppies?  Rainbows?  Republicans?  Let's start again... As a mom... no, that wasn't it.  Is it getting hot in here?  Abort!  Abort!  Um, you're on TV, RIGHT!?!?!?!?!?

• Love 10

...and I'm still very much appreciating the 100% increase in intelligence enough that I just can't nitpick.  I thought it was hilarious yesterday when Nicolle teased about the Wal-Mart number that it might be a Republican thing.  She's poking lots of people in the eye with it, and that makes it funny to me.  Sure, they're still missing a few facts in some of the discussions, but the quality of the discussion overall is so much better, that I don't mind.

eta: that was 500% and I meant to switch it to 1000% but sigh, ended up with 100%, my bad! 

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 7

Oh, dear, I did note that Nicolle was on a learning curve but it seems she's learning her interview skills from Bitsy:

Hi, guest.  Rather than following up on that rather interesting thing you just said, I'm going to ask you a question that has nothing to do with anything.  But first, I'm going to tell a personal anecdote that vaguely relates to the topic which I'll have to read verbatim from this blue card...uh oh... I looked up...big mistake:  now I've lost my place.  What was I talking about?  Puppies?  Rainbows?  Republicans?  Let's start again... As a mom... no, that wasn't it.  Is it getting hot in here?  Abort!  Abort!  Um, you're on TV, RIGHT!?!?!?!?!?

Nice.. I can almost see her struggling.... I noticed yesterday when she asked her question she looked at the audience and asked Right? so she could get an applause for a great question...... I thought it was Barbara that came up with the "explain every detail of your question for your dumb audience" and the famous "explain the show to the guest who is promoting their show so not to confuse them" question

The influence of Barbara Walters still haunts The View

• Love 1

That was kinda annoying.... Rosie P gave a shout out to all soldiers especially Latino soldiers. Latino soldiers have been fighting for our country since the beginning and they never get credit...... that just isn't true.... and why does serving your country have to be a race issue??

• Love 7

I thought it was Barbara that came up with the "explain every detail of your question for your dumb audience"

Oh absolutely.  Barbara IMO always had a very low opinion of the View audience.  I remember years ago reading an interview she gave and she likened the View audience to Wal Mart shoppers.  I knew what she meant.  And I took it as an insult.  Just because she hired uninformed twits as co-hosts didn't mean the people watching were as well.

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 9