Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 9/29/14

• Start Topic

I never understand the point of Marilu Henner being on, um, anything.

I'm right there with you. She's just manic and grating and I really don't want her on my TV. On a rather petty note, I wish some of these women would learn that wearing 47 layers of false eyelashes is really not as attractive as they think it is. A little goes a long way, and looking like you're wearing fat, fuzzy caterpillars on your eyes is generally not great look.

• Love 7

That's my point Marny. These actors with the phenomenal salaries are what is killing the movie industry. Doesn't matter whom Rosie P was referring to. The fact is: the ridiculous expense of paying these 1% actors are passed down to you and me. And the fact is, many of their films bomb anyway, despite the star wattage and supposed draw. Their crazy pay is so unjustified (and catch-22...it went in the red because of the over-inflation of salaries, hence the budget!). And the inflated budgets due to these exorbitant salaries make studios take less chances with scripts with originality and ingenuity, and the studios will try sticking to old tried and proven formulas. And I don't believe they are going to hire less actors. What are they going to do? Start whittling down characters from the film?? 

If they want to stem the tide of people staying away from the theaters and opting to stay at home and watching streaming movies, then they're going to have to cut ticket prices. That means, cutting budgets, and cutting super star pay...from $20 millions to perhaps $5 million a film? I know...it's sweatshop wages...oh lord.

Edited by bluemosaic
  • Love 2

Hate to bring up the race card, but I think ron perlman stuck his foot in his mouth when he told whoopi that she would be the only black woman he would want in his movie. I understand that he was trying to flatter her but it came out all wrong.

Right? Right?

Right! That was a bit awkward. In fact the whole interview was a bit awkward. I think that was one of those moments where it sounded better in his head than it did when it actually came out of his mouth. I love Ron Perlman and he doesn't do very many of these types of short form interviews. I've heard him in other interviews be incredibly charming and cool and funny, so I blame the venue and inept interviewers. He seemed a bit shy and uncomfortable and W and N were all over the place giving the interview a very disjointed and awkward quality. Too bad. I'll bet the book is interesting. The guy has some great stories.

• Love 1

To Rosie P's and Whoopi's point: I get the same reaction when I watch Woody Allen and Nora Ephron films. I grew up in NYC and I'm still in the metropolitan area, and when I watch their films, I'm like...where are all the minorities?? They DO exist in New York, but their films are pretty much "white washed." It's so insipid.

• Love 2

No one really gets 20 million anymore, that was like a late 90's thing.  And the number that does get higher millions and a cut of the profits is so small it can't be blamed for the ticket prices.  Marvel especially pays their stars low salaries because the era of the movie star opening a film is over.  It's a dying industry and Netflix is the future.  The theater owners need to work with them or they will end up like Blockbuster.  But it's pandering to the audience to have the cohosts complain about expensive popcorn.  They are all earning much more than the average American could ever hope for.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 4

No.  That's the top tier, it's not representative, there are like less than 30 people who could earn that much.  Way more is spent on Marketing.  It's a PR thing, a lot of those numbers are inflated with back end deals.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 2

Yeah marketing is way high up there, sometimes almost as much as the film. But that kind of marketing specifically apply to the films that these top tier actors star in...in mega budget films. And the marketing is way high because so much have been spent and so much is at stake...again a catch-22.

And it's these mega budget films that are setting the movie prices! You think the small independent films are doing it?? No. We're talking about the same mega budget films, hence mega paid actors. The failure of these mega films are also offset from high ticket prices from lesser and smaller films...all coming out of the pockets of you and me.

But if you think that that kind of salary is reasonable, then you and I have very different values and common sense.

Edited by bluemosaic

I do not get Whoopi defending the cartoon of the intruder in tub asking about watermelon tooth paste. How can you not be offended? any other line could have been used, can you hand me the shampoo, wash my back anything and point would have been made. I also don't believe Whoopi uses it.

edited to say I do not give Paula Deen a pass either as I am close to her age (not from the south) and do not think that's an excuse.

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 4

Why oh why would Rosie O be going commando yesterday?

How is that even remotely comfortable?  There are SEAMS in pants/jeans that'll be sneaking in where they don't belong!  (Not to mention the extra "wear and tear" on the pants...)

• Love 1

I do not get Whoopi defending the cartoon of the intruder in tub asking about watermelon tooth paste. How can you not be offended? any other line could have been used, can you hand me the shampoo, wash my back anything and point would have been made. I also don't believe Whoopi uses it.

edited to say I do not give Paula Deen a pass either as I am close to her age (not from the south) and do not think that's an excuse.

In the wise words of Rosie P, that is mad suspicious! Edited by imjagain
  • Love 4

In regards to the Obama cartoon, was anybody thinking that if Barbara was still on this show we would have gotten an explanation on the correlation b/t african americans and the stereotype regarding watermelon as well as other stereotypes.  It's so nice that this panel realizes the intelligence of their audience and not have to talk to us like we are ignorant.

• Love 9
Melissa Etheridge's personal life is a mess.  I wonder if she will finally be able to get her shit together in this new relationship; the one that started because she needed someone to move in to help her take care of the 4 kids she had with 2 other women -- my, how romantic.

...and RosieO, the ever-loyal friend, will continue to bring her back on the show (if there is a show), to delight over marriage after marriage, CementHead.   These celebrities seem to gush over every celebrity's new relationships...no matter how badly they left the previous ones.

As for the editorial cartoonist's use of "watermelon toothpaste," I'm with RosieP...mad suspicious.  Would he really have used that same flavor if our president were all white?  Surely not.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 6

Maybe one person is stupid enough not to not know the racial stereotype, but certainly not all the editors and staff of the newspaper.  It shouldn't have made it to print.

Whoopi actually did the racial warnings for Tom & Jerry DVDs (which sounds strange, but she's big on African American history especially in regards to media and stereotypes), I think she just wants them to reuse her intros so she could get paid again.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 5

So there I was, watching another episode of the show "Whoopi's View".*   I almost turned it off, tired of hearing her voice and opinions only, pretty much.  And it dawned on me.  I tune in only for Rosie.  Yes, I like the others:  I have always liked Whoopi, Rosie P has proven a very nice surprise, and Nicolle is often pleasant.  As much as I am liking the other three, I have to be honest - I wouldn't be watching at all if Rosie was not on that panel.  I became a little sad thinking and knowing she has signed on for only one year.   I find her entertaining and engaging and I am not hearing her voice.  I don't care what she asks for should she wish to stay and I am totally unconcerned with how they make it happen to keep her.  But I believe that letting her walk away a second time would be very foolish.  To TPTB - make no mistake, I watch only because of Rosie.  And Rosie the Ratings Juggernaut is being wasted here. 

Watermelon toothpaste.  Someone told me today it was better than saying "I'll have another drink, please", or "hand me a towel, would you?"  I was very offended by the watermelon toothpaste and believe there's no way the cartoonist didn't know what he was doing.  I think the other two things would have been funny and could apply to any president. 

Observations from shows this week.  Alicia Keys looks amazing.  Jeff Garlin was so funny!!  It was also fun to see Nicolle having so much fun.  I thought Rosie P overreacted, first by standing up and stepping back (what did she think he was going to do to her?), then moving her chair which obviously happened out of camera range because when they showed it again, her chair was much farther away from his than previously!  Get with the program, girl, and have some fun because we're not watching for boring.  Karina Smirnoff was so pretty when DWTS first began, then she did the first go-round to her face, and looked really pretty still.  Then she went so far as to adopt a trout pout and was not as pretty.  Now she's gone full on platypus face.  Why do they do that?  But their dance showed us exactly why they were eliminated, and The View would do well to eliminate that as a weekly segment, however tempting it might be to feature the eliminated couple.**  Love Lena Dunham.  Loved the interview with her and Rosie.  We've criticized for so long the stereotype for young girls that they'd better be super model perfect, even though we all know that even they are photo shopped when they appear in print anywhere, and then someone comes along unafraid to show the world how real young women's bodies look, and she's criticized for it.  Scary.

* I thought it was just me, but then I remembered I taped it, and yep, Whoops talked so much and the others so little that next time I will turn it off.  I wish she'd talked that much before, therefore sparing us from hearing so much from Sherri and Twitbits.  But, nooo, she has to talk that much now, when there's finally a panel of members whose opinions I'd actually like to hear?  In the words of Whoopi, What The Hell??

** They could still mention DWTS if they must, and show a really, really short clip, and only if something noteworthy happens that week. 

• Love 6

Yikes, I now feel bad (paraphrased) said Whoopi about the watermelon toothpaste Obama cartoon HT. Rosie P and O had been pointing out issues with it.

I think that is the first time I have seen Whoopi pause and consider another view!

Good for her.

• Love 1

So there I was, watching another episode of the show "Whoopi's View".*   I almost turned it off, tired of hearing her voice and opinions only, pretty much.

I have turned it off already. I only tuned back in because Rosie was back (and also thought the other two newbies might be interesting) but it was Whoopi's show from the beginning and I only lasted about two weeks. She's crass, rude, loud, and uneducated and as I bitched in an earlier post, her job is to moderate, not monopolize. So...again...The View has lost me as a viewer.

• Love 7

The second run of the Boston Herald and the syndicates changed the watermelon cartoon to raspberry...... because of this many people thought the watermelon part was a hoax.... but it wasn't... this is what I found when I went looking

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2014/10/01/boston-herald-cartoon-watermelon-toothpaste/

Holbert told Chabot and Battenfeld that the idea to use “watermelon” instead of “peppermint” or another common toothpaste flavor in the text of the cartoon came after he looked through a cupboard and discovered someone had left “a kids Colgate watermelon flavor” there.

“I, myself, love watermelon, and I thought that would be a great one,” he said.

After images of another version of the cartoon that were featured on a syndicate site called GoComics.com made the rounds online, there was speculation—including from Boston—about whether the Herald chose to change the name of the toothpaste flavor right before the newspaper went to print.

But Holbert clarified Wednesday that it was his intention to include the term “watermelon” in his cartoon, not thinking about the racial connotations, and the switch to “raspberry” was made by outside editors since his cartoons are syndicated.

My question is... why did the editors allow it to be published in the first place

• Love 5

her job is to moderate, not monopolize

I remember you saying that, shok, and I agreed then and even more so now.  I really don't recall other moderators doing that.  I watched the years Meredith Vieira was moderator and I know she did not monopolize.  In fact I believe she allowed others to speak more than she did, there would be an interesting discussion with everyone having equal time (I remember she would ask for their opinions and gave them time to speak) and she would then move on. 

I have tried to overlook Whoopi's monopolizing but it's just getting too frustrating to do that, and today's show was just awful for that.  Too bad, because it's a panel I finally like.  But it's become a panel of one.  I won't believe that anyone tunes in just because of Whoopi (if that were true, they would have tuned in for the past seven years she's been on), or for Nicolle or Rosie Perez.  They may in the future because they have grown to like them a lot, but Whoopi is really alienating the fans who have tuned in this season because Rosie is back.  For the first time since this season's debut, I'm not watching the show tomorrow.

• Love 4

If they have to do in -house commercials (and I guess they do) this was the way to do it - unlike the last few years; have a guest on, make some small talk and sell the product.   Well, except the Marilu Henner part - whom I guess is available for anything at anytime.  Still, just because of subject I had flashbacks to when Whoopi used to work her 'sensitive' bladder into EVERY conversation - until of course she got an [outside] gig selling Poise pads which was probably the goal.

I'm willing to give Nicole a while longer to get her interview skills up to speed. The bar was set so low, I'm actually liking her.    She's never going to be as good as RO but on the other hand she actually read the book the guest wrote.  i don't remember a co-host actually doing that before (at least so I could tell) except Babs.    I do however remember Bitsy dragging out her bookmarked copy of any book and reading it to the guest.  

I still think Whoopi needs to talk less and RO more, but at least Whoopi has stopped with her pronouncements about How It Really Is The End.   Of all four women, I care the least about Whoopi's opinion so maybe that's part of it too. 

Why am I not surprised that Babs felt the need to issue a press release about her generous gift to Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center?  Isn't enough that the money went towards the creation of the Barbara Walters Acute Care Treatment Center.

Usually the press releases are sent out by the Hospital or recipient of the donation. I think it was a very generous gesture on Barbara's part.

When a hospital or foundation receives a grant or donation of that size, they usually want to publicize it. It encourages others to donate, too. I've worked in development, and this is how it goes.

• Love 1
* I thought it was just me, but then I remembered I taped it, and yep, Whoops talked so much and the others so little that next time I will turn it off.

I think the director is expecting Rosie to talk more, Dreamboat Annie.  I've noticed several times when the camera is on Rosie alone--she's not really reacting, and sometimes her mouth is open like she doesn't know what to say next.  It's odd directing and odd camera work.  It makes me wonder if someone is trying to prove to Rosie that she needs that earpiece she refuses to wear.  If she watches each day's show, she will not like what she sees.

I think this group of women have the potential to be DYNAMITE!!!  However, Whoopi can't give up the reins long enough to let the others shine.  Even when they are saying something intelligent (which we haven't heard for many years), her voice is in the background "blessing" whatever they're saying.  It must be really hard on RosieO because she KNOWS how things should go, if everyone is playing "nice".  I won't give up on this show just yet.  Just sayin'.

I really must say that I've become "addicted" to a Canadian talk show called The Social.  All the women are 40-ish & state their opinions on the topics one at a time, without interruption!!!  It's so refreshing!!

• Love 6

I think the director is expecting Rosie to talk more, Dreamboat Annie.  I've noticed several times when the camera is on Rosie alone--she's not really reacting, and sometimes her mouth is open like she doesn't know what to say next.  It's odd directing and odd camera work.  It makes me wonder if someone is trying to prove to Rosie that she needs that earpiece she refuses to wear.  If she watches each day's show, she will not like what she sees

I would agree with you, Former Nun, if I didn't think that Whoopi would cut her right off if she tried.  I do see her react, and I haven't seen her mouth open without knowing what to say next.  She has plenty to say and I know I'd like to hear it.  She knows Whoopi has made it The Whoopi Show, and it's not lost on her that people online are hating her for daring to ask Whoopi why she cut her off (I remember that, and it had nothing to do with having to go to commercial break).  And, there have been a few subtle yet obvious instances which lead me to believe Rosie is wearing the ear piece.  She's too much of a pro to not want to know what is going on, and this time she's not the moderator, Whoopi Goldberg is, and I think she'd make it her business to know what's going on.  She may pretend she's not wearing it, but I do think she is. 

• Love 4

Fair or not, Rosie knows she has a reputation for being a bit of a domineering bull in a china shop. I think she's been acutely aware of that from day one and is still feeling extremely gun shy about becoming a lightning rod again so she's trying very hard not to dominate the hot topics segments. RP and NW are still feeling like newbies and are still a bit hesitant to jump in without being prompted (N more so than RP). Unfortunately, all of that combines to leave W free to pontificate unchecked if it's a subject she has a strong opinion about. Hopefully that will all balance out better with time as they all start to settle more into the gig. At least I hope so because Whoopi is getting on my nerves as well.

• Love 6

It seems like Whoopi went from weed to amphetamines. I'm thinking she'll eventually calm down and go back to her normal. I think she was threatened that she'd better wake up and bring it and she's way overcompensating. Mostly I can't stand how she will almost without fail read the prompter and LAUGH about the next story. That drives me nuts.

As far as the power struggle with Rosie - it looks like Rosie was promised more one-on-one interviews in exchange for not being moderator. Lena and now Melissa (was there anyone else?). You could easily throw someone else in there too, but Ro must have some agreement that she gets them alone. And yes, I'm also worried that she'll bail after a year. I hope not. Like she said, her kids want her to go to work and be busy (and honestly, I think most spouses also want a little alone time too).

All in all, still loving the show. Do not miss Sherri, her bad wigs, and her fake southern accent one bit. And while I know that Nicolle will get increasingly partisan as politics get more heated, she doesn't feel like an ugly, grudge holding twit. And damn she's pretty with the magical View lighting!

• Love 8

I miss the disengaged Whoopi; I feel she talks too much now. I get that she is super excited (or acting super excited) now but the more she talks, the less I like her. Maybe with Sherri and Jenni there, it was easier for me to overlook certain flaws of hers because those two were way way worse.But now with them gone, her horrible moderating is on full display.

I can't wait till she goes on one of her acting gigs and needs to miss days at work (like she would the last couple of seasons).  I'm interested in seeing the dynamics with just Rosie, Nicolle and Rosie P and how the show goes without Whoopi present. I think the moderating will be so much better without the silly giggly-ness and stupid vagina/vibrator/sex jokes. Plus in all these years, her segues to commercial breaks and off-the-cuff-comebacks are still lacking. I'm just not impressed.

I was at first disappointed with Rosie and how she sometimes seems a little tuned out. I'm now wondering if she is playing this right; holding back and letting people see how awful Whoopi is.

• Love 7

I was at first disappointed with Rosie and how she sometimes seems a little tuned out. I'm now wondering if she is playing this right; holding back and letting people see how awful Whoopi is.

Stacee. I think you might be right.  Rosie isn't a stupid person.  I'm inclined to believe she is more than content to sit back and let Whoopi be Whoopi and let the cards fall where they may.  I found Whoopi to be horrible as the moderator and her mugging for the camera when other things were going on bugged the shit out of me.  I think TPTB let is slide because they had Elisabeth, Sherri and then later Jenny to deal with they probably thought Whoopi was the least  problematic co-host.  But it's a whole new ballgame at the View and I think Whoopi's flaws are a lot more noticeable now.

I do think she has been a draw for big name celebs who might not otherwise have come on the View but Rosie O and Rosie P also have a lot of A-lister friends they can call on.  I think any leverage Whoopi might have had as a movie stah might have slipped a little.  IMO Whoopi has never done the View because she wanted to be a talk show host.  She has simply shown up because the money is good.  Rosie O I absolutely believe loves being a talk show host.  Wouldn't be surprised if Whoopi leaves next year and Rosie O stays.

• Love 6

OK, Whoopi made me all verklempt when she spoke passionately about medical marijuana. Don't think I've ever seen her so overcome with emotion. And brava to Rosie O for explaining that medical marijuana is possible without having the hallucinogenic components. I think I saw a 20/20 segment on this...or one of those TV news magazines. And may I add, to the woman who is friends to the mother of the boy with seizures and who ratted her out to the authorities: If this is true, may you rot in hell! 

• Love 8

Watching Wendy quiz Nicole about all those pop culture people made me laugh. She really is a political nerd, I love it. It doesn't make her better or worse, it's just interesting. ( I wish I didn't know who some of them were)

As I watched her really IMO not know who those people were, it made me think that Whoopi really does have to get in there and pull her weight.

In the past Whoopi was the one who would say "who is that?" Or scrunch up her face as other co hosts yammered on and on, about some pop cultural show/ Hollywood gossip.
And as an another poster pointed out, Both RosieO and RosieP have plenty of Hollywood A list friends. So Whoopi no longer the only Hollywood insider.

Her enthusiasm might be that she is enjoying talking to adults at the table, but I bet it is also that she knows these women are bringing good stuff and she better bring hers too.

• Love 4

Wendy keeps pretending she doesn't know Nicolle's name on her show, she will always act stumped about who she is but then laughed once and admitted she watches Nicolle on Meet the Press and Morning Joe.  She just likes to be shadey, but now that she has met her maybe it will stop.

It's funny to me when celebs talk about liking Wendy's show because all she does is invade people's privacy, spread rumors, or just completely makes up her own rumors.  They just don't like it when their own privacy is invaded or their own kids get their picture taken, but they still can't resist the fun of celebrity gossip.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 6

Rosie P's analogy about the postman (regarding celebrity and privacy) was PERFECT.

It really was.

And wth Nicole, really you don't get there is private life then public life when an actor is doing their job promoting a film/show?

That did have me smh.

• Love 4

Wendy keeps pretending she doesn't know Nicolle's name on her show, she will always act stumped about who she is but then laughed once and admitted she watches Nicolle on Meet the Press and Morning Joe.  She just likes to be shadey, but now that she has met her maybe it will stop.

Ain't that the truth. The thing that turned me against Wendy Williams in the end is how arrogant and hypocritical she is. She always tells everyone to say it like you mean it, but then lords her opinion over other people's and tells her guests what they should do as if they would ask her (her Friday roundtables are more of a cluster**** than The View has ever been). The worst lately is saying how nobody 24 or under should be married, and even getting on Jordin Sparks after her recent breakup saying, "Well, you shouldn't be married anyway!!!" Such an ignorant and busybody thing to say. And, yes, I've seen the belching myself--Rosie O's toes were nothing in comparison. So disgusting.

Rosie P and Whoopi were on fire today. That first story about the woman with the son who has seizures...just wow. What a friend that person was that called the police. To echo from above--disgusting. I also loved Rosie P's comparison of a celebrity to the postman. For some reason, Nicolle, like a lot of conservatives, think rights don't count for celebrities or that they don't have a right to feel/act like normal people. By the way, she's getting into a habit of always interrupting Rosie P. Maybe it's just because she's more comfortable with her than Whoopi or Rosie O, but it's getting to be a trend.

• Love 1

For some reason, Nicolle, like a lot of conservatives, think rights don't count for celebrities or that they don't have a right to feel/act like normal people.

I've felt for awhile that she seems to have a certain amount of disdain for celebs. I don't know if it's a political thing but it seems many people in the Republican Party tend to put down celebrities. Possibly could be because their positions tend to lean left, I don't know. But she comes across as if their feelings they don't really matter because they are getting paid (i.e. don't complain, just be happy!) . Seems like an odd position, considering Nicolle took this job where they must interact with them on a weekly basis.

Edited by Stacee
  • Love 3

As far as the power struggle with Rosie - it looks like Rosie was promised more one-on-one interviews in exchange for not being moderator. Lena and now Melissa (was there anyone else?). You could easily throw someone else in there too, but Ro must have some agreement that she gets them alone.

I think Rosie is a very talented interviewer - and she's got a shelf full of Daytime Emmy's to prove it.  Whoopi on the other hand?  Not so much.  I don't know if RO has a solo agreement or not but I don't think Nicole or RP needs to be sitting next to her either.  I loved the Lena Dunham interview, and actually ordered the book the same day. 

What I didn't expect is how much I am enjoying Nicolle and I think it's because she's been 100% real on this show, whether it's laughing until tears come out like she did with Jeff Garlin or not knowing who The Real Housewives are - which I often wish I did not, lol.  I feel like I am getting the real Nicole and I can't help it, it's refreshing after Bits the Twit and her Made Up Stories complete with Fake Friends. 

I've felt for awhile that she seems to have a certain amount of disdain for celebs. I don't know if it's a political thing but it seems many people in the Republican Party tend to put down celebrities. Possibly could be because their positions tend to lean left, I don't know. But she comes across as if their feelings they don't really matter because they are getting paid (i.e. don't complain, just be happy!) . Seems like an odd position, considering Nicolle took this job where they must interact with them on a weekly basis.

I think there is a long history of  disdain for the "Hollywood Elite" by some parts of the Republican Party, but it has more to do with money than anything else.  Big fundraisers for big  Democratic candidates often feature these artists and their endorsements.  I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head from 2012.     Hell, Oprah practically anointed President Obama during his first presidential campaign.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

Doesn't Nicole realize: Now that she is on a very visible, national, network TV talk show, her belief that the lack of privacy is justifiably linked with fame might just come back to bite her on the rear end some day??

• Love 7
All in all, still loving the show. Do not miss Sherri, her bad wigs, and her fake southern accent one bit.

...her bugged eyes, buffoon act, jumping uterus, boob talk, shorts, man-groping, lookee me, lookee me, lookee me...and so much more.  Sorry to pile on, EmeraldGirl.

• Love 7

I finally got a chance to tune in for the first time in a long time. I did watch regularly when Rosie was on the first time, and semi-regularly before that, but have only caught bits and pieces since. Rosie really is riveting TV. I care about what she has to say, even if I disagree with her. I never found myself waiting in anticipation for Sherri or Jenny or Whoppi's opinions (Elizabeth yes, but only because they were often childish). On virtually any topic, I'm waiting for her to speakup, but she was relatively muted when I watched the episode with Etheridge.

They were discussing the Secret Service stuff and Whoppi made this horrid, horrid transition into the clip of the baby doing the muscle flexing. Are her transitions always that absolutely terrible? I know they want to cap a heavy discussion with something light, but when the discussion is rolling right along like it was, let it go on. For the first time since Rosie's first tenure the show appears to be back to what it originally aimed to be and was during the Meredith/Joy/Starr years. Don't put that in the box.

I think it helps a lot that there's only one comedian on the panel (I don't include Whoppi, who hasn't been funny in over a decade), instead of 3 like last season. Nicole is an excellent edition, even if I don't agree with her politics it's great to have somebody with gravitas in that area. Like when they would wade into legal issues and Starr would throw her weight around. And Rosie P is holding her own. 

So far so good!

• Love 4

By the way, she's getting into a habit of always interrupting Rosie P. Maybe it's just because she's more comfortable with her than Whoopi or Rosie O, but it's getting to be a trend.

I tuned in for the first half of the show today and I saw that interruption of Rosie and attempt to talk over her by Nicole. Did you see the look Rosie gave her? As the old saying goes...'if looks could kill', Nicole would be flat out on the floor. I think there are some potential fireworks there just waiting to go off.

• Love 2

DB - I agree, I care what Rosie says as well even if I don't agree. For me she is thought provoking, and I like that.

So glad the "commedians" are no longer there. And appreciate the fun the current cast is having.

I really wish they wouldn't try and get all the HT's in when they are on a roll with one.

• Love 2

They were discussing the Secret Service stuff and Whoppi made this horrid, horrid transition into the clip of the baby doing the muscle flexing. Are her transitions always that absolutely terrible?

Yes.  Well, not always - sometimes they are worse.  Unless she uses her old standby of "Hey!  How about this!"  which I find lazy and annoying  but at least not horrible.  I need RO to take the moderator reins. 

• Love 1

I agree completely! I never see anyone explain medical marijuana versus get-high marijuana he way Rosie did. Why is that??

It's such a valuable tool in educating the public about this topic.

Having Rosie on the show is a bonanza. She's knowledgeable on a spectrum of issues because she is genuinely curious. Unlike past co-hosts, I feel she doesn't just read up on the research before the show and dishes them out so we'd know she can Google (or stock up on Fox News and regurgitate their talking points...the co-host who did that shall be nameless...lol). She brings to the show knowledge that's derived from her natural curiosity and genuine caring for people. That comes through. She's not always perfect, and not everyone will agree with her viewpoint, but she is definitely a step up from some of the past co-hosts.

Now if she'd only play nice with all the other girls! (jk)

Edited by bluemosaic
  • Love 4

I think there is a long history of  disdain for the "Hollywood Elite" by some parts of the Republican Party, but it has more to do with money than anything else.  Big fundraisers for big  Democratic candidates often feature these artists and their endorsements.  I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head from 2012.     Hell, Oprah practically anointed President Obama during his first presidential campaign.

I think that this could very well be what is going on with Nicolle, the predisposition for disdain towards "Liberal Hollywood Elite".  I know that she has a lot of detractors and I can't repeat it often enough that I'm a left of lefty leftist, but she doesn't bother me in the way most Republican Pundits do.  I don't think she is a "Conservative" either.  All that said, she does seem to be enjoying the "celebrities" and often seems a little star-struck about about them.  It's only been a couple weeks - but her contribution about the Secret Service and the different levels of vetting before POTUS appearances was very helpful.  I found it endearing that she was clearly lost, stated so and posited "I'm just a political nerd".

I very much appreciated the discussion about medical marijuana but boy oh boy, there was a lack of facts in that discussion.   If we're to pick at it one time, this is a time it should have been.  Weed 2 with Sanjay Gupta just aired again this past Sunday - the brothers in Colorado are not considered to be doing anything illegal, they are amazing though because they risked some of the $$ by producing marijuana low in THC and high in Cannabidiol (CBD).  This is such an important topic and clearly it has touched Whoopi, so ladies?  DO YOUR DAMN RESEARCH, please.  Especially if they are going to have the Stanley Brothers on the show, and I really hope that they try to!

And yes, what a bi@#!h that woman was for calling the police on her "friend".  We have a governor (MN) that has been really reticent about medical marijuana I'm pretty sure because he's had mental illness and dependency issues, so while we're a pretty liberal state a lot of the time, we are really behind the curve on this subject, both from a medical standpoint and the legalizing/decriminalizing aspects.  He reminds me of Patrick Kennedy before his "conversion" and all in with pushing for the FDA to get in on this and making it legal federally. (Kennedy is still vehemently against legalizing for recreational use.)

• Love 3

Watched Friday's show today and I really enjoyed it. All four cohosts spoke intelligently and passionately about issues (like the child with seizures that was aided by marijuana, fame and privacy, etc.) and the show is great to watch. today's show would have been so so so different with Sherri and Elizabeth there to discuss the issues, interact with guests. Its just night and day to me and shows how important the choice and mix of cohosts is...how odd bitty and sherrie last as long as they did? ugh

And on a more petty note, I am loving the fashionable, cool, age appropriate clothese the are wearing. Rosie P always looks classy and great. Nicole's outfits are frat. Ro and Whoopi have their own unique styles and good for them! I liked Whoopi's red and white striped top and whisked I could have seen the fabric Better because the black "stripe" looked like it was made up of black human shapes. I'd love to have that top - love a dolman sleeve!

• Love 1
I liked Whoopi's red and white striped top and whisked I could have seen the fabric Better because the black "stripe" looked like it was made up of black human shapes.

That's exactly what the pattern on that fabric was...red and white stripes with "human shapes" that created diagonal lines.

Good to see that RO is helping to spread information instead of misinformation. For anyone here who is interested in some specifics re curative/medicinal benefits of THC:

Check out the CBD vertical column at this link, and the results across the board for CBD and some of the other cannabinoids under "Analgesic" and "Anti-Inflammatory."

https://weedmaps.com/medical-marijuana-testing

And then some quite promising results of CBD pre-clinical studies:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

I'm so glad that RO is promoting this type of public education because it's badly needed.

• Love 4

Rosie P's analogy about the postman (regarding celebrity and privacy)  was PERFECT.

It really was.

And wth Nicole, really you don't get there is private life then public life when an actor is doing their job promoting a film/show?

That did have me smh.

Whoopi thinking the paps were interested in her enough to send photo drones over her house made me shake my head. 

• Love 6