Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 9/29/14

• Start Topic

Now that was funny and embarrassing at the same time

Jeff Garlin just wears underwear on his show The Goldbergs... He said it was not big deal because he doesn't wear pants at home. So Nichole asked.... aren't you going to get comfortable for us?? So he took down his pants.... way too funny

The embarrassing part... when he was pulling down his pants... they turned the camera on the audience..... because we as the public shouldn't see a man's legs?? Then they were using almost any other camera angle except for the wide shot showing his legs... censorship on TV is really embarrassing

• Love 3

I never understand the point of Marilu Henner being on, um, anything.

I agree.  For me, she is in the same category where I put Jane Seymour & her Herve Leger bandage dresses.   You, again?  Why are you on my tv so much?  

• Love 11

That was kinda annoying.... Rosie P gave a shout out to all soldiers especially Latino soldiers. Latino soldiers have been fighting for our country since the beginning and they never get credit...... that just isn't true.... and why does serving your country have to be a race issue??

Rog, I think she was saying it in the context of it being Hispanic Awareness Month. (something I did not know)

And sadly, there are misconceptions and negative stereotypes regarding Latino men (being gang bangers, thieves, tatooted prisoners taking US jobs, etc)  and I think she was merely pointing out that they are serving in our military and giving them a shout out. I don' think they are credited as a group for that.

I, for one, applaud her for bringing attention to this.

Edited by Stacee
  • Love 18

Thanks Stacee I can see that..... I just wish she would have used the issue that you presented instead of making it sound like Latino soldiers have been disrespected and ignored all these years for serving our country. When people focus on race with issues that should not be racial always makes me uncomfortable.

• Love 5

That was kinda annoying.... Rosie P gave a shout out to all soldiers especially Latino soldiers. Latino soldiers have been fighting for our country since the beginning and they never get credit...... that just isn't true.... and why does serving your country have to be a race issue??

Yeah, I don't really understand what she means by credit. Public recognition? With few exceptions (Medal of Honor winners, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, prisoners of war etc.), our military is largely nameless and invisible, whatever a service member's race or ethnicity.

ETA: Oops, sorry, Rog and Stacee, you both posted while I was still writing. I'm slow like that. :)

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 4

I really enjoyed the discussion about the Secret Service issue. I liked there was no blame directed at President Obama or saying it's because a woman is the director. Just informative talk stressing the importance of protecting our president.

I laughed out loud at Rosie saying she's seen them empty elevators for Brittany (Spears). And Whoopi pointed out that there seems to be different standards for this president, which somewhat seems to be the case. They are too laidback, in my opinion, and this department needs an overhaul.

• Love 7

I liked there was no blame directed at President Obama or saying it's because a woman is the director. Just informative talk stressing the importance of protecting our president.

I laughed out loud at Rosie saying she's seen them empty elevators for Brittany (Spears). (snip)

Um, you mean like Nicolle's old show Morning Joe where Mika suggested that might be the cause this morning?  ...and Nicolle is the troublesome Republican. ;)

Me too, Ro sure does love her some Britney, always has, and the visual of Ro in that situation was hilarious.

As to RosieP's remarks about Latinos in the military, I feel like it was context - and perhaps? (this may be controversial) The fence hopper, was a Latino veteran with PTSD - so maybe there is some sensitivity around that as well... ???  I'm probably over thinking this, but I also think the shooter from 2011 was a Latino male.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

Just wanted to say I am so enjoying this new season. A great balance between more news worthy issues and lighter fare. All four hosts are offering heartfelt, intelligent points of view and discussion in a thoughtful way. Just head and shoulders above what was seen with Elizabeth and Sherri (the two worst cohosts in my opinion). Nicole is coming into her own. Love what rosie P and nicole are wearing - cute, stylish, fun, appropriate. And loved the Jeopardy discussion - the fact that perez said she loves it makes me love her more!

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 7

Nicolle's been doing ok so far, but she irritated me twice today.  First with misinformation - there is no cure for Ebola.  Where did she get this info?  Second, Chris Christie did not hedge on the obesity/food addiction question because he was brave.  He hedged because Republicans hate talk like food addiction or anything that even hints at encouraging the public to eat in a healthy manner.

• Love 7

Nicolle's been doing ok so far, but she irritated me twice today.  First with misinformation - there is no cure for Ebola.  Where did she get this info?  Second, Chris Christie did not hedge on the obesity/food addiction question because he was brave.  He hedged because Republicans hate talk like food addiction or anything that even hints at encouraging the public to eat in a healthy manner.

Didn't they give the 2 health care workers who were brought back to America with Ebola a new drug that killed the Ebola virus?? Wouldn't that be considered a cure??

• Love 2

They did give the first two at Emory something experimental from Canada that seemed to spur their recovery but that was all they had of it and it will be another six months before more is ready. Then the doctor that recovered donated blood for the doctor in Nebraska, but that only worked because they were the same blood type - so Nicolle vastly exaggerated the situation.  But then again, Frontline, this ain't.

Eh, this Christie stuff is all the wolf-in-sheep's clothing that troubles me about him - because the rest of the panel nodded in agreement.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 8
He hedged because Republicans hate talk like food addiction or anything that even hints at encouraging the public to eat in a healthy manner

For whatever reason Republican politicians think eating healthy is elitist.  Just like they think getting an education is also elitist.  How dare the government encourage people to eat fruits and vegetables and go to the college.  Remember Sarah Palin's reaction to Michelle Obama wanting to improve school lunches?

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 12

I just watched the segment about Jeopardy.... and it seems that they had misplaced outrage again.

The category was what do women want...... the answer seemed to me that they wanted help with the sweeping.... not that they wanted a sweeper.

is wanting help with housework truly sexist??

• Love 4

I thought the question was what do women want - and the answer help with the house work....as in someone else to do (helping with) the vacumnning - and NOT a new vacumn to make it easier for the woman to do themselves.

• Love 3

I got into the habit to rewatch shows because of the AMC series.... they always have a repeat performance.

I just got done watching the Jeff Garlin segment again.... I swear that might have been the funniest segment ever on The View

It totally cracked me up.... Even Nichole W was in tears.... Rosie P was freaking out..... it was all just funny

• Love 3

is wanting help with housework truly sexist??

The assumption that women are the ones responsible for doing the housework is sexist.  Unfortunately, The View only touched on that one question, but the whole category was really pretty gross-- it presumed all women care about is how they look in jeans, drinking tea, keeping a house clean, etc.

On another note, it's been so nice not to find myself getting angry during this show.  Now, even when I disagree with a particular co-host's opinion, it's not because their opinions are stupid, it's just a difference of opinion.  Before this group, I found my blood pressure rising everytime Sherri opened her idiot mouth.  I don't miss her on my tv at all. 

Edited by marny
  • Love 14

I got into the habit to rewatch shows because of the AMC series.... they always have a repeat performance.

I just got done watching the Jeff Garlin segment again.... I swear that might have been the funniest segment ever on The View

It totally cracked me up.... Even Nichole W was in tears.... Rosie P was freaking out..... it was all just funny

Normally I'm not much for that particular kind of humor, but that was pretty damn funny. I thought Nicolle was going to wet herself. When he made the crack about the flashlight I almost fell off my chair.

• Love 3

Hate to bring up the race card, but I think ron perlman stuck his foot in his mouth when he told whoopi that she would be the only black woman he would want in his movie. I understand that he was trying to flatter her but it came out all wrong.

Right? Right?

I caught that too! That was awkward. 

• Love 1

Ron Perlman's whole demeanor seemed off. They were talking about how he didn't have much self confidence when he was young but and how much that's changed now that he's older. As the interview went on I kept thinking maybe he has too much self confidence now. It was just a really weird interview all around to me.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 7

The whole Ron Perlman interview was all over the place and part of that has to do w/Nicolle.  They started out w/how he was insecure w/no self confidence when he was younger, and I thought part of that would go along w/the family photo showing where he looked like and awkward overweight kid, but then it jumped to Ryan Gosling and his blurb for the book to Ron's wife and Whoopi bringing up sistahs... to Mexico and how Nicolle loves Mexico and it was a life changing trip for both of them to next Whoopi bringing up wanting a Hellboy 3.  I'm sorry but Nicolle is not a good interviewer and that's fine, she should be brought out for political interviews and such, but leave the celebrity interviews to Rosie O and Rosie P, and wheel out Whoopi only when it is someone she admires or has a shared interest with or a cooking segment.

• Love 3

Ron Perlman creeps me the hell out. 

They were just talking about Whoopi on CNN right now.  Talking about her comments this a.m. about the president & the secret service.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 3

The best part of Jeff taking off his pants was the reaction from the men.  In one shot, one man stood up to applaud, one man just smiled and shoot his head and one man just crossed his arms and STARED.  I have to say Nicolle crying from laughing so hard was enjoyable. 

• Love 4

I'm deeply offended that the co-hosts are free to say 'ovaries' without censorship but the mention of the male equivalent of sexual reproductive organs, namely 'balls' must be bleeped. Talk about sexual inequality!! grrrrr ;)

• Love 2

I'm deeply offended that the co-hosts are free to say 'ovaries' without censorship but the mention of the male equivalent of sexual reproductive organs, namely 'balls' must be bleeped. Talk about sexual inequality!! grrrrr ;)

Don't forget vagina and uterus .... They have even blacked out butt cracks and cartoons..... censorship really freaks me out

Didn't they bleep Kathy Griffin when she used the term "bang"? They get a little sensitive at 11 AM, apparently.

The "Jeopardy!" convo was fantastic, from Whoopi's vacuum/orgasm joke to Rosie O's "I'll take equal pay for $500, Alex."

I like Nicolle on this show because she can share insight that few other people can; for example, the difference between a "planned" presidential visit and an "unplanned" visit. I, too, appreciate that all women shared the sentiment that the First Family needs to be protected and didn't try to politicize it in a way that it didn't need to be.

• Love 4

If they have to do in -house commercials (and I guess they do) this was the way to do it - unlike the last few years; have a guest on, make some small talk and sell the product.   Well, except the Marilu Henner part - whom I guess is available for anything at anytime.  Still, just because of subject I had flashbacks to when Whoopi used to work her 'sensitive' bladder into EVERY conversation - until of course she got an [outside] gig selling Poise pads which was probably the goal.

I'm willing to give Nicole a while longer to get her interview skills up to speed. The bar was set so low, I'm actually liking her.    She's never going to be as good as RO but on the other hand she actually read the book the guest wrote.  i don't remember a co-host actually doing that before (at least so I could tell) except Babs.    I do however remember Bitsy dragging out her bookmarked copy of any book and reading it to the guest.  

I still think Whoopi needs to talk less and RO more, but at least Whoopi has stopped with her pronouncements about How It Really Is The End.   Of all four women, I care the least about Whoopi's opinion so maybe that's part of it too. 

Why am I not surprised that Babs felt the need to issue a press release about her generous gift to Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center?  Isn't enough that the money went towards the creation of the Barbara Walters Acute Care Treatment Center.

• Love 6

The Jeopardy thing, I actually howled when that talk went dirty.  Can you imagine Bitsy with that subject?  It was really stupid of Jeopardy to put that category up - so sexist!

Discussed and commented on elsewhere:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/01/jeopardy-what-women-want-category_n_5912960.html

katelyn @woahohkatie

#whatwomenwant: what are rights over their own reproductive health? what is the end to rape culture? what is an apology from @Jeopardy?

• Love 1

Why am I not surprised that Babs felt the need to issue a press release about her generous gift to Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center?  Isn't enough that the money went towards the creation of the Barbara Walters Acute Care Treatment Center.

Oh no she didn't?  That is beyond tacky.  But yeah Cosmo, not surprised.

Cant' we want equal pay, reproductive rights, end to rape culture, AND a little help with the housework?

Absolutely.  The problem is when it's assumed housework, jeans that make our butt look good, herbal tea and pilates  (you know woman stuff) are our top priorities..

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 3

This show is so much better without dumb and dumber.  The republican Survivor contestant who just parroted idiotic things with a shrill voice, and dopey Sherri who was just embarrasing to watch. It was insulting to think that was supposed to represent women!

Having said that,  I think that Whoopi and Rosie will not last together in the long run.  They are two strong personalities, and Whoopi has a huge huge ego.  Rosie does have some issues, and reacts with emotion, and can be nasty at times, or come across as not actually stopping and thinking before she speaks, but she is sincere and not full of herself like Whoopi.

Whoopi acts like she is some all knowing sage. She is the epitome of a perfect women. Wise and above it all.  But, in reality she is biased as can be.  Her own experirences with the press have made her unable to ever admit one of her hollywood colleagues is wrong, even when convicted of rape,  like Roman Polanski! 

Her attempts to make herself appear above it all, show she is an idiot in many ways.  She just has a huge ego, and it shows.  She also doesn't bother to try to get all information before spouting out her opinions.

The other day Whoopi was laughed at the statement that Geena Davis made that entertainment can influence people to feel comfortable about a female president.

All knowing Whoopie thought that was just ridiculous.  She was dismissive and once again, arrogant.    But, she will never pass up an opportunity to bring up the fact that  when she was a child there were not black singers, or people of color in the media, and it had an effect on people.  

Rosie P is not bad.   Way way better than Jenny or Sherri, and I do like her way better than Whoopi, but it is irritating when everything is about being Latino. The soldiers comment was just annoying.  

I guess part of me is sick of the need to bring up color and enthnicity all the time.  Many times it is a true issue, and it should be discussed, but why must we bring up the fact that Latino soldiers were not recognized.    When I was a kid,  I  grew up at a time when being ethnic was not "in". I was dark, short, and Italian.  My mom spoke with an accent and made 'weird" food, that people now pay a lot of money to eat in fancy restaurants.   My dad faced a lot of predjudice getting jobs because he was "dark" and had a vowel at the end of his name. I faced similar problems that Rosie P describes, since I have her body type and I am darker than she is.   I saw my granparent laughed at when the worked on farms because of their food and clothing.  We had anglo neighbors start a petition to stop us from moving in a neighborhood, and to this day,  we never see an Italian American running for office without the "mafia" question or "crook" question or lable being thrown around.  

I guess when bothers me, is that people now act like predjudice and hate only happens to people who are black, Latino or from the middle east.   And the constant victim thing is just plain annoying when it is about something as silly as Latino soldiers not being recognized.    I never heard of shout outs to soldiers of other ethnicities.   

When real injustice  happens, I think we need to speak out, and I do not deny bias and racism is alive and well, but to get to the point where everything has to be about somene's race or enhniicity if they are part of the right groups is annoying, especially when many of us or our grandparents faced predjudice and still do, but we are considered "lucky" because we are not part of a particlular race or group.

• Love 13

Actors' salaries might take a hit?? Oh my god, what will these "1% actors" do without their 10, 15, or 20 million+ dollar paychecks?? Can they survive on that if they never work again?? lol.

Maybe the fact that actors' salaries are so exorbitant is the reason why movie budgets are so overblown and ticket prices sky high?? Most people don't even make a fraction of what they make on a single film in a lifetime. I am so sorry a more sensible salary will cut into their entitlement for mansions, estates, private jets, and extravagant lifestyles.

• Love 6

Rosie P was saying that it's the non-1% actors who will take a hit. The majority of actors aren't making millions of dollars-- it's only the ones you read about in People magazine that make a lot of money. Think about all the actors you see in movies whose names you don't know and are lucky to have a few lines. Those are the ones she's talking about who will be affected.

• Love 6

Melissa Etheridge's personal life is a mess.  I wonder if she will finally be able to get her shit together in this new relationship; the one that started because she needed someone to move in to help her take care of the 4 kids she had with 2 other women -- my, how romantic.

And granted, I was only half-assed watching/listening as I was in & out of the shower but did another guest cancel today or something?  Because Melissa seemed to have been on a long time today; like she was given an extra segment or two.

Oh, and edited to ask:  Why oh why would Rosie O be going commando yesterday?  And sorry Rosie, I know you & Lena Dunham just told us viewers the other day that you both hate the expression "TMI,"  well, sorry babe, TMI!

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2

Yes, all actors are protected by the union. No matter what the budget is, they have to be paid a certain amount. It's the actors that are paid above and beyond the union wages that are the 1%. 

Edited by bluemosaic
  • Love 2

Isnt there an Actors Union who sets standards on pay and such?? I doubt those standards will be lowered

Yes, there's union scale-- their version of minimum wage.  But a smaller budget means hiring fewer actors or paying the minimum to the non-famous actors and not more.  They aren't going to pay Julia Roberts or George Clooney less money since their names sell the tickets.

• Love 2