Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Double Date

• Start Topic

WEDNESDAY, MAY 1, 9:00-9:32 p.m. EDT 

Two teachers head out on a double date, but when they run into familiar bar patrons, it proves to be an unfortunate distraction. At Ava's first book club meeting, the group ends up in a debate over who would be the best post-apocalyptic leader.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Night Cheese said:

I thought the last episode was the season finale, so this is a pleasant surprise! 

The season finale is May 22

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Janine IS the Cinnamon Roll of Abbott, I don't care what anyone says.

"Why do you need apps when you got J-DATE?!" Jacob, no.

So the Abbott faculty that can survive an apocalypse: Melissa, and definitely Mr. Johnson. I got the feeling he's been prepping his whole life. Ava, of course, will have a bunker and will order everyone else around. And it was so so good to see Cree Summer again and her giant hat. It was nice to see Mr. Morton again, too.

And nooooo, Gregory just HAD to be at the same bar Janine was on a date with...Manny?! My jaw hit the floor when I saw that. Thankfully it turned out to not be a date. especially since Tariq was there, too. It was bad for Gregory's date, since he was only gonna be fixated on Janine and Manny. That plot was peak cringe, ESPECIALLY when Gregory got up out of his seat and yelled.

• Like 11

"Maybe I'll see you around sometime?"

"Yeah, maybe...if you're in a serious accident."

The "Ooooooooooh..." I made in response to that comment from Olivia...XD. Poor woman, she was absolutely right to just be like, "I think we're done here." I'm amazed she stayed on that double date as long as she did, honestly!

And Gregory. Oh, my god. Could he have been any more awkward? I loved Jacob trying to alternately help pull him back and distract everyone to try and diffuse the awkward tension, and I'm glad that Gregory's awkwardness didn't mess up his own date in turn. I'm glad he's still seeing Avi and that's still going well :).

Book club was wild. Especially when they started delving into the topic of cannibalism :p. I also liked Melissa being like, "I would rather die than change my mind. It's the American way." XD. 

Good to see the librarian again, too. 

• Like 20

Did Abbott Elementary forget that they are a comedy? I didn't laugh once. There was nothing funny about watching Melissa and Barbara argue or Gregory feeling jealous that Janine was with someone else. Ghosts is better than Abbott Elementary.

• Like 7

Gregory doesn't know what to do? Ask her out, you idiot. 

There is no earthly reason these characters shouldn't be together at this point.

• Like 20
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

At this point I don't want Gregory and Janine together. Whatever was there has become tedious and frustrating and not in that good "just kiss already" frustration. They just both seem so immature and out of touch with their emotions that I can't imagine they'd be good together.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Oh Gregory. You down bad, son. I was both cringing at his jealous antics and cracking up because, could he be any more obvious? I just know when Janine and Erica left, Erica said "Gurl. Ion know what he told you, but he wants him some Janine". I think that's why his dating app dates haven't worked, the heart wants what the heart wants. And Janine knows it too, when she asked him for flowers from his garden, to replace the ones from the district, and smiled. I still ship them because they are still very sparkly together. I'm thinking Manny is gonna ask her out for real and that's gonna push Gregory to confront his feelings. I try to remember these crazy kids are about 30 years younger than I am and don't have the extensive experience of navigating romantic relationships yet, so I give them some grace. We don't even know if Gregory has ever been in love before and been in a long term relationship. We know Janine was with Tariq since she was a teen so she's only recently dated outside of that. It can be frustrating, when you look at them from a more mature eye. But when I remember these characters are still in their 20s, their actions make more sense. 

Between the book club and the double date, I laughed a lot. Oh, and Jacob apologizing to Avi, and Avi saying he had a great time cuz Gregory was so messy? I cracked up. I was also watching his reactions to Gregory's foolishness in the bar and he really was enjoying it lol. 

Come on, Quinta, we almost there. Let us have this before the end of the season! 

• Like 16

I used to run a book club at the library I work at. We never argued but I think it would have been fun. I wasn't a very good leader and I actually liked one of the early questions before it all went to h---. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

Here are your choices, Janine and Gregory:

(1) Fuck; or

(2) Don't fuck

Reading this post next to the Corgi profile pic is hilarious! 

It was nice to see Erica again - I think this was her 1st appearance of the season?

Felt for Inez during the book club disaster.  She would have been better off with Jacob and Janine for sure.

I skipped past most of the double date scenes once Gregory spotted Janine. I knew what was coming, and saved myself a few minutes. I like them both individually, but I'm not interested in revisiting romantic angst.  

• Like 7

Oh Gregory, you have to know your being too messy when even Jacob thinks your being too awkward. Olivia seemed really nice and she and Gregory did seem to be hitting it off, but then he saw Janine (looking amazing) and everything spiraled downward quickly. Gregory, either ask Janine out or let her go, your not allowed to say you just want to be friends and then freak out when you see her on what looks like a date. 

"Yeah maybe...if your in a serious accident." 

Maybe Manny will finally ask Janine out and that will make Janine and Gregory stop hemming and hawing and just get together?

Book club certainly took a wild turn, although I'm not too surprised when it involves Mr. Johnson. I would definitely imagine Mr. Johnson and Melissa doing well in a post apocalyptic world, but Ava's cult would be a lot more fun. It was great to see Inez again, although I'm betting that she's wishing she had asked Jacob and Janine to be in her book club, especially when Mr. Morton is going on about cannibalism and hentai! 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Oh, and Jacob apologizing to Avi, and Avi saying he had a great time cuz Gregory was so messy? I cracked up.

Me too. Avi was one of the best things in this ep. Loved his face when he looked at the camera in joy at Gregory's messiness.

I also loved Mr. Morton having a bigger part. 

Other than that...? Not one of my favorite eps. I can only take so much cringe, and there was too much. Plus I couldn't really believe anyone, even someone so socially awkward as Gregory, would act like that. I really didn't enjoy it.

Olivia was lovely. I'm glad she left Gregory with that burn.

Oh, and I always like seeing Tariq. "Remember that time you screamed and then everyone looked at you?"

I didn't particularly enjoy the book club either. 

• Like 11

I thought Inez's school pulled out of the librarian program.  Is she still working at Abbott? 

I don't know what it is about this season of the show, but I really haven't loved it.  I'm tired of Gregory and Janine circling a relationship.  I also feel like the main characters are kind of losing their human side to just being a bunch of eccentric weirdos who crack one liners and cater to whatever character beat the network has told the writers to play up.  It's like the Urkel-ization of the show.     

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Ghosts is better than Abbott Elementary.

In other news, water is wet. Sorry, I try to control my snark because I respect that a lot of people really love this show, but for me it’s more of a filler and I tend to cringe at things that others bring up as their favorite moments. Whew, got that off my chest!  Off to watch Ghosts now. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

In other news, water is wet. Sorry, I try to control my snark because I respect that a lot of people really love this show, but for me it’s more of a filler and I tend to cringe at things that others bring up as their favorite moments. Whew, got that off my chest!  Off to watch Ghosts now. 

I think Abbott Elementary is inconsistent. Some episodes are great others are awful. Ghosts is always funny and usually heartwarming. I think Ghosts deserves the Emmy this year.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Not only was Gregory's plotline cringey as hell, but it was such a cliche, too. I feel like I've seen that "someone treats their date badly because they're obviously in love with another main character" schtick a million times on sitcoms. 

And the book club plotline just made me dislike the characters. Why on earth would Barbara and Melissa join a book club run by Ava, anyway? Why would they ever agree to let her be in a position of power over them outside of work?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Not only was Gregory's plotline cringey as hell, but it was such a cliche, too. I feel like I've seen that "someone treats their date badly because they're obviously in love with another main character" schtick a million times on sitcoms. 

And the book club plotline just made me dislike the characters. Why on earth would Barbara and Melissa join a book club run by Ava, anyway? Why would they ever agree to let her be in a position of power over them outside of work?

Right? The show is really slipping.

• Like 4

I'm so over Gregory after this episode.  I HATE being embarrassed for somebody and that was my reaction to his over-the-top response, actions, and rudeness.  Janine, who was never my #1 favorite (that would be Barb or Melissa, depending on the episode), was poised and mature.  

As for the Book Club, that seemed like filler.  

Sadly, Abbott Elementary is not what it used to be.  Blame it on the writer's strike?  I don't know enough to make that judgment.  

• Like 5
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

I'm so over Gregory after this episode.  I HATE being embarrassed for somebody and that was my reaction to his over-the-top response, actions, and rudeness.  Janine, who was never my #1 favorite (that would be Barb or Melissa, depending on the episode), was poised and mature.  

As for the Book Club, that seemed like filler.  

Sadly, Abbott Elementary is not what it used to be.  Blame it on the writer's strike?  I don't know enough to make that judgment.  

I'm new to the show having binged the first two seasons prior to season 3 being out and I have to say, it still has great moments but I prefer the first two seasons so much  more. 

• Like 3

I didn't actually hate this episode - I laughed at stuff in both plots. Jacob and Gregory together are my favorite dynamic because I think it brings out different sides of themselves. Jacob's facial expressions always get me! Gregory was so cringe this episode though! I do like seeing him a little unhinged because he's so buttoned up, but yes, Quinta B has played the will they/won't they out long enough. 

I think this episode really highlighted a problem for sitcoms when they reach this kind of popularity and this many episodes - beloved characters start becoming cartoon versions of themselves. I think the book club definitely went that direction. Ava starting a book club and thinking she's the obvious leader? Good character growth. Ava stealing food and throwing the bones all over the stage? Not cute. Same with Barb and Melissa. Overall, weaker plot.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3

I was excited when the book was announced.

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler is one of my all time favs.

I do wish they could have had some of the humor refer to the book in some way but they were off and running right away.

Compared to what we are used to this was a weak episode with some funny moments - throwing chicken wings on the stage NOT being funny.

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Agree 1000%. Abbott Elementary can do better than this late-season Three's Company nonsense. To go full cliche, they should have had Gregory spy on Janine by hiding behind a plant.

I did like the book club storyline, though. It was silly and fun. They had me at "Ava and Her Reading Bitches."

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
18 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Jacob's facial expressions always get me!

OMGosh! Me too! This ep he had a new, weird, funny expression. Right now I can't remember what the scene was, but Gregory (I think) told him to change his face.

14 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

I was excited when the book was announced.

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler is one of my all time favs.

Ahhhh. I couldn't understand them when they said what the title was, but I was wondering if it was a real book. Thanks.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I think this episode really highlighted a problem for sitcoms when they reach this kind of popularity and this many episodes - beloved characters start becoming cartoon versions of themselves.

Yet another reason that I think TV seasons should be limited to only 10 episodes, as they are throughout the Commonwealth. It's almost impossible to be funny or riveting throughout long seasons. But American TV prefers beating dead horses to leave 'em wanting more. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Yeah, this is probably the weakest episode of Abbott in a long time.  I checked to see who the writer was and he had only written one other episode, one that fell a little more on the serious side.

I agree this had funny moments but wasn't funny. Everyone felt like a caricature instead of themselves.

The Gregory stuff was cringe and not in a good way.  But I will say Janine looked great, Erika and Tariq were 100% themselves and Manny looked goodt!  I am not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind if Janine and Manny became a thing.

The book subplot was a little better, but I am kinda disappointed that Mr. Morton turned out to be such a weenie. 

Parable of the Sower is no joke.  That book is prophetic!!

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

I haven't really commented on the third season of Abbott Elementary. I still find it funny and entertaining, but the third season is rather weak compared to the two first seasons. Perhaps, the writers and actors strike had something to do with it. The show had to quickly regroup after the strikes ended, and couldn't put out such top-notch content. And I'm afraid the characters are becoming for like caricatures at this point (though I do appreciate Janine's growth).

Gregory getting totally unhinged over the possibility of Janine being on a date with Manny was so cringeworthy, and not in a good way. How many times have we seen this tired sitcom trope? Either Gregory and Janine are end game or they're not. The show has to make up its mind. And I hope no matter what, Abbott Elementary remains a workplace comedy with its focus on public education, and not some romantic gooeyness. I guess we'll find out in the fourth season.

• Like 5

I don't see any reason to keep Janine and Gregory apart. Parks & Rec continued to be funny after Leslie and Ben got together. It's not impossible to do.

I do really like Manny's character. He's always so positive. Sometimes his positivity seems like denseness, but I like that he is kind and has a good outlook. Has he ever said anything negative?

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

For me, this show lost some of its appeal when I found out that it's filmed in LA--not Philly.  So, I feel like the Philly jokes and references are a hoax.

• Useful 1

Ava And her Reading Bitches. I would join that book group.

I didn't find Parable of the Sower a book you could hurry through. But apparently Barbara had already made up her mind what it was about so it didn't matter.

Melissa thinks she would thrive in a dystopia. Of course she would. In her worldview, she who has the most weapons wins.

Not sure I liked Gregory's date Olivia. She didn't deserve way he treated her though.

Janine & Manny!!!!! If only. I think they'd make a cute couple.

A freak'um dress. A date beard.

Tipsy, jealous Gregory. Bet the bar had a hard time scraping his face up off the floor after it closed.

Bend the knee and kiss the wings. Game of Thrones, meet Abbott Elementary.

Yep, Gregory is hella messy. And now Janine has his number. YOUR MOVE, GREG!

• Like 2
On 5/5/2024 at 12:53 PM, Crashcourse said:

For me, this show lost some of its appeal when I found out that it's filmed in LA--not Philly.  So, I feel like the Philly jokes and references are a hoax.

Quinta Brunson was born and raised in Philly. It's not as if the jokes and references aren't genuine. 

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Quinta Brunson was born and raised in Philly. It's not as if the jokes and references aren't genuine. 

I know that, but it's still misleading to have the show shot in LA.  That's just how I feel about it.

I usually enjoy the show, even though I feel it's not as good as it used to be and has become repetitive. But boy, this must have been my least favorite episode of all. Both storylines were childish and extremely unfunny, with the silly competition at the book club on the one hand, and the cringeworthy double date, with Gregory almost skirting stalker/ harrassment territory. I'd have been out of that book club in a hot minute (also, who would meet in the middle of a gym?!).

And I'm so over the Janine/ Gregory thing.

• Like 5
On 5/4/2024 at 5:09 PM, mojito said:

Yet another reason that I think TV seasons should be limited to only 10 episodes, as they are throughout the Commonwealth. It's almost impossible to be funny or riveting throughout long seasons.

I hear you but also: Frasier seasons 1-5. And even later seasons were often decent to good and had some outstanding eps. (Also cringey storylines, like Daphne's family, but...) Long seasons.

• Like 2
On 5/4/2024 at 11:09 AM, mojito said:

Yet another reason that I think TV seasons should be limited to only 10 episodes, as they are throughout the Commonwealth. It's almost impossible to be funny or riveting throughout long seasons. But American TV prefers beating dead horses to leave 'em wanting more. 

I disagree this season of Ghosts was ten episodes long and it was too short. You would also have too constantly be applying for work which wouldn't be good for the people who work behind the scenes. That was one of the reasons SAG went on strike. 

On 5/4/2024 at 11:09 AM, mojito said:

Yet another reason that I think TV seasons should be limited to only 10 episodes, as they are throughout the Commonwealth. It's almost impossible to be funny or riveting throughout long seasons.

I disagree to some extent.  Smaller episodes work better for a tighter story when you are telling one story though the season.  An Anthology or limited series , for instance is great for a 10 -13 episodes.  Is is harder to sustain a single story over 22 episodes where you have to string out the central plot/mystery and pad it.  It is why when we get genre series for instance where they have a Big Bad each season, we get these filler episodes. 

Episodic tv is well suited to a longer season because the viewer gets the best of both worlds. You get self contained stories that finish in one episode but you get the luxury of time to get to know characters, watch them grow and develop and live with them through a bunch of different seasons in almost real time. 

There was this big trending discussion on twitter about this very thing around the time of the strike. People were lamenting the erosion of the network tv shows that follow the 'school year' season.  Where you meet the  new class (the new shows picked up by the network) in September.  You get holiday episodes (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc.) in real time with people on the screen.  And at the end of the year some shows graduate (end or get cancelled) and the rest take a summer break so you can anticipate for next year again.

I think this season probably hurt Abbott because of the strike.  A show like this probably plans for the full 22 episodes and they probably had everything planned  to be paced a certain way.  But with the shortened season and the inability get back into the writer's room without enough lead time to really break the episodes, everything is compressed.  And it doesn't help that even with the truncated season we get gaps in airing so you lose  viewer momentum.

I still think this season was pretty funny overall, with this episode was an outlier. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1