Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E11: This Game Rips Your Heart Out

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Austin should of got his idol back that night after TC.. He's all loved up with Dee, so he just has to tell Dee about blind siding Julie.Dummy!

I liked Katurah this episode, more than any other, what a childhood  she had.

Drew is smart, but then so was Emily. Emily was instrumental in getting Bruce out, now she's out. I get they become friends, but don't lose sight of why you are there.
Jakes still hanging in there. lol

• Like 18
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Sigh… I’m rooting for Julie but I wish she had taken a bigger shot there.  

She now knows that Austin and Drew want her out. She also knows that, while Dee is loyal enough to let her know about the plan to vote her out, she wasn’t loyal enough to not actually vote for her. So Dee is at least as loyal to Austin as she is to her, if not more so. Julie is definitely smart enough to see that she needs at least one of Austin/Drew out next. I just don’t think she’ll get another opportunity like this to make it happen. 

Sorry to see Emily go home. She played great, but no one on the yellow tribe had a realistic shot at winning given their track record in challenges. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

That was a bummer, and I guess now I have to shift from rooting for a great underdog player to rooting for the great player I was resisting due to her frontrunner status/team (Julie).

Now if Julie had booted Austin, that would've been magical. And would've been a near perfectly-constructed episode narrative arc, too, what with the the whole Dee/Austin thread throughout.

I hope everyone quickly realizes Dee is putting on a whole show. 

• Like 22
54 minutes ago, me5671 said:

She now knows that Austin and Drew want her out. She also knows that, while Dee is loyal enough to let her know about the plan to vote her out, she wasn’t loyal enough to not actually vote for her. So Dee is at least as loyal to Austin as she is to her, if not more so. Julie is definitely smart enough to see that she needs at least one of Austin/Drew out next. I just don’t think she’ll get another opportunity like this to make it happen. 

Considering that Dee told her to her face that Austin is her number 1, and we know that Julie heard it, she knows that too.  I thought it would be poetic justice for Austin to go since her ruined the plan in the first place.  I'm rooting for Jake.  This ending angered me especially since I had to watch 90 minutes to get to it!!😃

Just now, waterytart said:

Can someone explain the whole Emily lying to Bruce about Julie thing?

She told him Julie was coming for him so that he'd turn against her,  then convinced him that there were enough votes to blindside Julie, so he felt confident enough not to play his idol.  It was indeed a case of Bruce being too arrogant and unable to see his place in the scheme of things 😄

• Like 11
  • Useful 3
9 minutes ago, princelina said:

She told him Julie was coming for him so that he'd turn against her,  then convinced him that there were enough votes to blindside Julie, so he felt confident enough not to play his idol.  It was indeed a case of Bruce being too arrogant and unable to see his place in the scheme of things 😄

Thank you!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Why not stare at the rope puzzle for as long as you can get away with before flipping the hourglass?

With no idol, a tenuous small alliance, and having just made a big move, the safer play was to risk your vote.

Yeah, I didn’t really understand her thinking there.  If you think everyone is going to vote for you, your vote means nothing.  Might as well risk it.

• Like 11

The way Dee told Julie how the vote was going to go, that she would play her idol, told her Dee was voting for her, told her who to vote for and Julie actually did what Dee wanted. This was Dee's move, and I am impressed. Nobody is looking at her as a threat. It really sucks that Emily had to go, but I could see it coming. I was hoping Julie wouldn't listen to Dee and put down Austin's name, no matter what Dee wanted. All in all, Dee played that beautifully. 

• Like 10
12 minutes ago, TVFan1 said:

The way Dee told Julie how the vote was going to go, that she would play her idol, told her Dee was voting for her, told her who to vote for and Julie actually did what Dee wanted. This was Dee's move, and I am impressed. Nobody is looking at her as a threat. It really sucks that Emily had to go, but I could see it coming. I was hoping Julie wouldn't listen to Dee and put down Austin's name, no matter what Dee wanted. All in all, Dee played that beautifully. 

Love the move, don't like the mover.  Julie drank the Kool-aid.

Surprised she didn't nail Jake.

• Like 6

Two more episodes to go, yes? I'm ready for the end. Aside from Jake's inability to go away and Katurah's painful backstory, it's hard for me to feel involved.

At least Drew kept his shirt on during the BBQ. I can just imagine the meat being visible as it slid down his esophagus.

Emily went out as befitting a member of the original Lulu tribe . . . in an excruciating way. Julie could've taken a shot at the other women or Austin (with Jake presumably getting the week off), but she went with the one that helped throw out Bruce last episode.

Austin brought up Ramber. That won't get him the $1 million or any sort of money from Sia, but it'll probably net him some under-the-table cash from the production staff. What a putz. He didn't know about the blocks having letters on both sides, so it would have been fitting for him to get voted off.

I've lost track . . .  who is running the show now?

Seriously, why didn't we get Katurah's origins before tonight? She might have gotten more sympathy rather being "The One That Really Wanted Bruce Gone."

• Like 9
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Why not stare at the rope puzzle for as long as you can get away with before flipping the hourglass?

With no idol, a tenuous small alliance, and having just made a big move, the safer play was to risk your vote.

If you are not confident in your ability to do puzzles, it might not matter how long you stare at it. There was an especially daunting warning that a bunch of people had already failed at this particular puzzle. Which I am not sure about. Did this air in previous seasons and I just forgot about it? 

Also, Emily recently experienced losing her vote and not being able to get it back by solving a puzzle, so that might have shaken her confidence/skewed her perspective.

While I agree that in general, it seems like it would be smarter in Emily's situation to risk it for the biscuit, I can see the flipside too.

That flipside being:

1. Being without a vote is being powerless, and being powerless sucks.

2. It was unlikely that there would be four votes put against her. She hadn't been a target up till now, and there were easier people to continue to target as well as bigger threats. Jake for one, since he was kind of lucky to have survived the last couple of tribals. There was the possibility that there would have been a plan to go after the Reba 4. 

3. She may have felt like she had inroads with Drew/Austin, and could count on them to not vote her out. 

Her going home was sort of a fluke on a fluke on a fluke. If Austin hadn't let his hormones get the best of him, he would have just let Julie get blindsided. But he felt like he needed to warn Dee, who he had to know would warn Julie. And Julie focused on Emily when she could have just as easily written down anyone besides Drew. 

What gets me is that they apparently didn't even discuss a vote split here, even though a) they had to know there was a possibility of Julie playing an idol and b) They apparently had the votes to put one or two on Backup Plan Jake.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

There was an especially daunting warning that a bunch of people had already failed at this particular puzzle. Which I am not sure about. Did this air in previous seasons and I just forgot about it? 

I believe it was the puzzle from the first episode this season where the two tribes tried to win their camp tools but failed. Unlike recent seasons where they had to choose between brains and brawn, this season they had to do both (in this case, moving a large pile of rocks followed by that rope & hoop puzzle). Both tribes completed the rocks but didn't have enough time to get far on the puzzle. There were 2 members from each tribe who competed on the challenge, hence the warning this episode about "4 people have already tried."

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Seriously, why didn't we get Katurah's origins before tonight? She might have gotten more sympathy rather being "The One That Really Wanted Bruce Gone."

She already had my sympathy for having to put up with Bruce.

Although I did feel for Bruce tonight, thinking about him watching the beginning of the episode at home and witnessing how overexcited everyone was at his demise.

• Like 18
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 3

Such a major bummer. Austin telling Dee, ffs. Mind you, if Emily hadn't convinced Bruce he needn't play his idol and instead told him to play it for sure we'd have had Julie out last week, Emily not seen as a threat, and a far more interesting end game than what-Dee-wants-goes.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1

When Emily voted she succinctly declared the reason why Drew, and others, wanted to vote Julie out. She promised if Julie makes it to final three she has her vote. The others should be concerned that she will get jury votes if she goes to the final three. That's the reason she needs to be gone. Austin's name got thrown out there for the first time last night. The positive thing that went his way was flushing out Julie's idol. What a stupid move to give her the idol in the first place.  Next week is the last time he can play his amulet so he should play it and not take a chance of going home with it burning a hole in his pocket like dear old Bruce. Drew is the only name that hasn't been thrown out there by anyone. I hope he gets to final three. Don't think he'll get the votes for the million though. Austin wants Dee, or himself, to win the million and to ride off into the sunset together like Boston Rob and Amber. Not going to happen. Dee wants it badly. She wants the million more than she wants Austin. Nothing wrong with that.

Jake is still there. LOL. Katurah, what a back story. Good for you for all you've accomplished.

Edited by Matty
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, princelina said:

She told him Julie was coming for him so that he'd turn against her,  then convinced him that there were enough votes to blindside Julie, so he felt confident enough not to play his idol. 

With the added bonus being that vindictive Bruce will never vote for Julie in the final 3.

8 hours ago, princelina said:

Considering that Dee told her to her face that Austin is her number 1, and we know that Julie heard it, she knows that too. 

Which is even more baffling why Julie didn't boot Austin.  She's afraid of angering Dee?  Whose game is she playing?

6 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

What gets me is that they apparently didn't even discuss a vote split here, even though a) they had to know there was a possibility of Julie playing an idol and b) They apparently had the votes to put one or two on Backup Plan Jake

I don't get it either.  They all knew Julie was going to play her idol because Austin couldn't keep his trap shut.  They all just laid down for her.  (So why didn't they all vote for Emily if they knew Julie was going to vote for her?  Now Julie distrusts the boys.  And Dee's rationale for her throw away vote should have made no sense to Julie.)

I'm so sick of these 4.  I am going to hate that any of them wins.  They've all been lazy about playing the game.

Katurah broke my heart with her story.  What an awful way to grow up.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Is it possible that Julie just couldn’t write down Austin’s name because he gave her his idol?  And how did Austin take the chance of not playing his amulet?  Did Julie convince him she was voting for Emily and he trusted her?  

The question remains to me as to why Austin didn’t demand that idol back from Julie right after the Tribal council before which he gave it to her.  It never made sense to me how he let Julie think it was hers.  

I liked the show.  Nah, there will be no relationship between Dee and Austin after this is over.   Dee cares for herself first. 

• Like 17

Well, Emily kind of got pay-back for her 'big' move last week in getting out Bruce who was NOT a threat to win instead of getting out Julie when they had the chance.  I thought that getting Bruce out was a wasted opportunity and tonight kind of verifies that.  Emily wanted to be the hero for getting Bruce out because the tribe disliked him so much, but that is really just another example of playing other peoples' games instead of one's own game.  It seems like this season that loyalty is seen as more important than winning.  

• Like 22
  • Useful 2

I think Emily should have kept her mouth shut on the Bruce stuff. Had she not told, she might have been able to survive the vote tonight. Alas, she did and she ensured that she was seen as too big of a threat to keep in the game. But hey, respect on that front. Emily went from a terrible player who was surely getting voted out after Hannah's quit to one of the best players in the game. I have never seen an arc on Survivor like hers, where she started off abrasive and rude and making major mistakes left and right, and course correcting so quickly and finding her place not just with Kaleb, but with other members.

The women this season are WAY WAY WAY better than the men and Austin just solidified that. This man was so wrapped around Dee's finger that he threw away his entire game for her (and Drew's). Now Austin has Julie ready to take him out, Drew's pretty much a goner next if he doesn't win another immunity, and he's only helped Dee out.

But honestly, good on Dee. She's playing a stellar game, she's been in control since pre-merge, and she's doing a fantastic job if hardly anyone is actually targeting her. Her name has barely floated around. Otherwise, she's been a blip on people's radar, not realizing how much she's running the game. The fact that they showed HER making the decision to tell Julie and then Dee giving the choice on who to take out to Julie while maintaining the whole "you gotta vote logically, not emotionally" argument that led to Emily's departure instead of Austin's was great for her.

Katurah gets her backstory told and it is heavy. I think it does explain her immediate bullshit detector with Bruce and why she's been playing how she is.

It sucks to see Emily leave. Who knew I'd go from hating her to wanting her to win? 

• Like 21
  • Love 2

I do really wish that they had Austin or Julie or someone explain why

a) Austin didn't repossess the idol he gave Julie immediately after it turned out she didn't need it. I don't think I remember anyone just giving an idol to someone and not asking for it back almost immediately.

b) Why Austin gave her the "better" idol (in that it  has power for an extra tribal)

Anybody have any ideas?

• Like 16
24 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Austin is not very bright?

Possibly true, but Drew isn't stupid (although presumably not as smart as he thinks he is). And I believe Drew knew Julie had Austin's idol. Even if Austin was dumb enough to not initially ask for the idol back, why did they act like trying to send Julie home with it in her pocket was the only option as opposed to asking it back at this episode? 

Presumably in the past no one has said, "Sorry, you're never gonna get it" (h/t En Vogue) because doing so would likely be a dealbreaker for jury votes. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:

Austin should of got his idol back that night after TC.

Production sure as hell isn’t running tape for us on this - but I kinda got the impression Austin may have tried to broach the subject of his idol’s return with Julie and gotten some degree of rebuff in response; if not a direct refusal, then a deflection of some sort.  

A rebuffed initial approach might explain Austin’s “alarm bells” comment, in that he’s afraid a repeat attempt would ping mightily on Julie’s threat radar.

10 hours ago, princelina said:

And Dee even told her Austin was her #1!  That's why Julie doesn't deserve a win.  Maybe she has a reason and a plan, but she'd better articulate it really well next week if she wants me rooting for her! 😄

I expect Julie’s reason for not voting Austin parallels Austin’s reason for spilling the beans to Dee; not doing so would incinerate their game relationship with Dee, AND there’s still a few TC votes to go.

• Like 6

I'd like to know more about Katurah's backstory. Which extreme religious cult did her family join? So her mother helped her escape this cult when she was about to be forcibly married to someone and they left together, did they leave her father behind? Why did she eventually cut off contact with her mother? Did her mother go back to the cult? I realize this is none of my business but now the info I have leaves me wanting more.

It struck me around last week I don't really care who wins at this point. The only one I kind of like is Jake. He's a lawyer who also teaches theater kids. But I doubt he has any shot at winning.

Julie rubbed me the wrong way very early in the season, although I can't remember just why. I think it was that she and Dee had this sense of entitlement very early on that just reeked of smug.

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

So… I haven’t liked Dee on a personality level since early days - on occasion her THs have fairly screamed a sense of game entitlement - but I guess she’s my pick to win now, because everybody else is SUCH a frikkin’ moron. I continually find myself surprised everyone not named Dee is successfully converting oxygen to carbon dioxide without professional assistance.

• Like 7
  • LOL 13

I am so confused about why the tribe didn’t at least split their vote or something, knowing Julie knew about the plan and that she had an idol she intended to play (at least Austin, Drew and Dee knew). Especially with Austin’s name being floated around. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

I think at the point when Austin gave the idol to Julie, that his amulet hadn't become a full fledged idol yet.  That happened when Kellie was eliminated in the following TC.  

Loved Jake's comment about having been cast as a tree all this time, but now becoming at least a supporting character.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

To echo Valerie, but in reference to Dee, she went from "You suck" to "You're pretty cool." 

Actually, it went from "Who?" to the above.

Austin is just a little about average, but that's about it

I can take it or leave it in terms of Katurah's story.  I guess I can sympathize, but several people have issues within one's family in the history of the Planet everywhere.  OTOH, IDK.  I'm fortunate to have never had any disconnect with my family, so I don't have an opinion here

• Like 1

Every once in a while, we get an episode like this where almost everyone is playing like a moron.

Emily, telling everyone she engineered the Bruce ouster instead of saving that information for after she's in the F3. Also drawing for a rock when she didn't want to go on the boat trip, then not playing the challenge when losing her vote would not have put her in a worse position, and also thinking that anyone would believe anything she said when she came back from the trip.

Drew, telling Austin about the Julie vote, as if it's not obvious from space how inexplicably smitten Austin is.

Austin, telling Dee about the Julie vote and then being stupid enough to believe Dee didn't tell Julie. And correspondingly not playing his idol when he would be Julie's obvious target. It only worked out for him because ...

... Julie was dumb enough to let Dee control her vote even after Dee was dumb enough to tell Julie Austin was her number one.

Honest to God, when KATURAH is playing better than you, you should just quit. I hate them all. Except Jake. Jake FTW.

4 hours ago, weaver said:

Nah, there will be no relationship between Dee and Austin after this is over.   Dee cares for herself first.

When Austin and Dee were going on about how they're the new Boston Rob and Amber, I flashed back to Lloyd Bentsen telling Dan Quayle he was no Jack Kennedy.

3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

b) Why Austin gave her the "better" idol (in that it  has power for an extra tribal)

Anybody have any ideas?

I wondered about that too, and thought that maybe it's possible that the amulet-turned-idol is not transferable. HIIs can be given away, but they've had other advantages in the past that were not, the one I'm thinking of specifically being whatever that advantage was that Sarah gave to Cirie that Cirie tried to play before Jeff shut her down. The alternative explanation is that Austin was just stupid.

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

I know she has arguably the least chance of winning, but I’m tickled that Katurah’s name hasn’t been written down once this season.

Austin less so, because I find his confessionals snooze-worthy, and don’t know why he hasn’t been targeted.

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

I know she has arguably the least chance of winning, but I’m tickled that Katurah’s name hasn’t been written down once this season.

Sorta like Sugar back in Season 17.  Unfortunately for her the cast did so one tribal council too many.

On a related note, to this day I'm still livid at Erinn for being loyal enough at one of the later tribals in Season 18 as we would've had an entire TV year where someone went through a season without their name being written down.  Still a little surprised though since I figured Fishbach would lose 6-1.

While the motives and gameplay have been not really great, I don't think Katurah was much of a threat & more of someone that can get beat with ease.  Not the first time it's happened; people will eventually get to her if & when possible

2 hours ago, Carey said:

I can take it or leave it in terms of Katurah's story.  I guess I can sympathize, but several people have issues within one's family in the history of the Planet everywhere.  OTOH, IDK.  I'm fortunate to have never had any disconnect with my family, so I don't have an opinion here

Her whole "I'm Not Telling Anyone I'm a Lawyer" schtick because she thought it would get her farther in the game is just plain dumb.

I think they cast 4 lawyers this season, so no one probably would have even thought twice about it if she had told people what she did for a living, yet she thinks she has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes somehow.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Valerie said:

Man, Emily went from my most-hated to the one I was really rooting for. Who would have thought?

I'm rooting for Austin or Dee at this point.

I WAS rooting for Austin until he said he was fine to lose if it meant Dee won, and when he sold out the plan to Dee because "he felt bad". The moment he showed his head isn't in the game, it solidified that he's just too bad of a player for me to want to see win.

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

IMHO Jake and Katurah really missed their chance to make an indelible impression upon this season.  With (a) Julie almost certainly playing an idol and (b) everybody else still planning on voting Julie, the tribe de facto handed Julie sole power of eviction for this TC.

To be fair, they didn't know Julie had an idol; only the Reba 4 knew.

ETA: Unless I'm wrong about that. I know Drew/Austin emphasized it has to be a total blindside, but I didn't think it was because everyone knew about the idol.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

Austin being game-submissive because twu wuv....lame.

Julie not taking a shot when she had really good reason to know she had the power....lame.

Jake and Katurah still hanging around, floating along....amazing.

This is my first time ever watching this show; I give zero fucks who wins.  If I watch in the future, hopefully there'll be someone I find both appealing and worthy this late in the game.

• Like 6
32 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Her whole "I'm Not Telling Anyone I'm a Lawyer" schtick because she thought it would get her farther in the game is just plain dumb.

I think they cast 4 lawyers this season, so no one probably would have even thought twice about it if she had told people what she did for a living, yet she thinks she has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes somehow.

I think that they cast three lawyers this season, all of whom are still here: Katurah, Julie and Jake. Jake is the only one who is openly admitting he's a lawyer, I believe.

I don't think it's "just plain dumb" to hide your identity as an attorney. It's hard to say with any given cast, but in general:

1. I would suspect that people might think of lawyers as less trustworthy than others, and seek to vote them out.

2. I would suspect that jurors might think of lawyers as likely to be richer than the average person and therefore jurors would be less likely to give them $1 million over someone who "needs the money" more.

3. I would suspect that people might think that lawyers would do a better closing argument to the jury than non-lawyers and therefore would want to prevent them from getting to the FTC. (Never mind that most lawyers aren't trial lawyers...of the three we have this season, only Jake is).

From this list of attorney-contestants I found on Reddit (so I can't vouch for its accuracy/completeness), there have been plenty of attorneys on Survivor, but seemingly few who got to argue why they should be given a million:

Stacy Stillman (Borneo 14th place)

Nick Brown (Australia 7th place)

Paschal English (Marquesas 4th place)

Deena Bennett (Amazon 8th place)

Andrew Savage (Pearl Islands 10th place, Cambodia th place)

Eliza Orlins (Vanuatu 4th place, Micronesia 10th place)

Caryn Groedel (Palau 5th place)

Willard Smith (Palau 13/14th place)

Jolanda Jones (Palau 18th place)

Brooke Struck (Guatemala 15th place)

Bobby Mason (Panama Exile Island 12th place)

Becky Lee (Cook Islands 3th place)

Alex Angarita (Fiji 6th place)

Charlie Herschel (Gabon 9th place)

Dan Kay (Gabon 11th place)

Candance Smith (Tocantins 15th place)

Russell Swan (Samoa evacuated, Philippines 15th place)

Liz Kim (Samoa 13th place)

Monica Padilla (Samoa 7th place, Cambodia 16th place)

Jaison Robinson (Samoa 5th place)

Francesca Hogi (Redemption Island 18th place, Caramoan 20th place)

Kristina Kell (Redemption Island 16th place)

David Murphy (Redemption Island 12th place)

Matt Quinlan (One World 16th place)

Hope Driskill (Caramoan 18th place)

Kass McQuillen (Cagayan 3th place, Cambodia 13th place)

Hali Ford (Worlds Apart 11th place)

The aforementioned "Chaos Kass" didn't get to argue her case, because it was a F2 tribal council, and Woo cost himself a million by choosing to take Tony over her. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5