Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Don't Put All of Your Eggs in One Basket

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Christine is excited to celebrate her first Easter since divorcing Kody; Janelle says her life is better without Kody, but reveals she would consider polygamy again; after learning Aurora is interested in a boy, Meri reflects on marrying so young.

Air Date: October 22, 2023

Reminder- Real time events are spoilers within the episode thread, discussion of information outside of the episode should be discussed in participant threads. 

• Like 2

Sorry but Christine needs to STFU.  She's not Janelle and she has no business insterting her opinions into Janelle's life.  If she was truly a friend, she would support Janelle's decisions and not turn it into a "you're nuts if you don't stick it to Kootie" situation.

And her chewing the scenery is getting on my last nerve.  She apparently feels like she's the spokeman for the entire "not Kootie" group.

Of course Janelle would be nuts to stick around after what Kootie said to her but that's not Christine's place to say.  

Meri is pathetic.  First of all that stupid giggle session with whatsherface was apparently just to use up air time.  Then, after the drama of "I'm moving to Parowan for my business and getting a smaller place" she reups on her lease.  So the whole awkward scene leaning over her wet bar was for what purpose?

This whole season has been wash, rinse, repeat with the same rhetoric repeated endlessly.  BORING!

• Like 14
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1

Ysabel (hopefully I spelled that right) is a beautiful girl, seemingly inside and out. She is one of the kids that I am truly imressed with, and clearly somebody did something right. I am not a fan of Meri at ALL but it makes sense to me that she is the way she is due to her upbringing. Janelle, I don't get. I am rooting for her to have a happy ending, but why she would want to put herself back in a polygamous relationship is beyond me. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Well, I have to admit that I was jumping back & forth between this shitshow and the Astros-Rangers game.

Unfortunately, BOTH of those endeavors were unrewarding!  I had a hard time with the whole timeline... We're at Easter, we're in July, we're in the spring... Yikes!  And it's just BORING with the yap over and over.  Douchie's married to the love of his life (DOAH!), Sobbyn wants Meri to keep on TRYING to make it work with Douchie (DOAH!), Meri decides it's easier to NOT move into a smaller rennal (DOAH!) and keeps that ginormous house in Flagstaff to live in part time... Christine is aging in reverse after having that 180 lb tumor removed from her back (DOAH!) and Janelle can't decide WHAT to do (DOAH!) but is pretty much DONE with the Douchecanoe....

And... the Astros lost 9-2.

NIGHTY!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

Each week Kody inadvertently and self righteously reveals a partiality to Robyn and hurts the others. This time he said he was getting a second chance with getting his youngest kids to school. Even Robyn noted that this was wrong. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 19
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I just can't help but feel like what we are seeing this season isn't scripted or at least dramatized to look like what was happening in the present when it all really happened a long time beforehand over a longer period of time.  I suspect that the women were going along with presenting the "one big happy family" fiction on screen long after that was not the case and were holding their true feelings from the cameras because that was what Kody demanded of them - or else.  For a long time they were willing to do it for the sake of keeping the show from falling apart (and the $$ they got out of it), but after a while as ratings fell and it became harder for them maintain the fiction anymore Kody and/or they realized something had to change.  It was becoming ever more obvious to the viewers that this family was not so happy, especially after the catfish episode and the BS about Meri's divorce from Kody not being a "spiritual" divorce and that Robyn really wasn't taking Meri's place or anything like that.  BS she wasn't.  That was so freaking obvious it pissed me off that they would even try to push that crap on the public and expect them to buy it.  There were so many cracks in the facade with this family after a while it became impossible to continue to push any kind of happy family fiction.

So recently Kody and/or TLC decided to reverse the premise of the show to be all about the family breaking up.  Maybe TLC came to them and told them that the show's ratings were falling and if they didn't pursue that angle there was a chance it wouldn't be on the air much longer.  Or the women just decided it wasn't worth going along with that fiction anymore for what they were getting in return for it.  I think that the only thing this former family is united about is keeping the show on the air for as long as possible, even if it means changing the focus of the show from promoting this fictional wonderful polygamous family to one that documents the very real breakup of a polygamous family.  And I don't think Kody even cares how bad he looks - he is so determined to keep the show on the air that he is willing to look like the villain in the audience's eyes to accomplish that.  I actually don't think he is that delusional that he doesn't realize how the vast majority of the audience is going to see him.  He is so desperate to keep the money rolling in that he doesn't really care.  He's found what he wants and the only people's opinions that matter to him are just as warped as he is and would see it from his point of view.  

So anyway, to get back to my initial idea, I think this season is a culmination of something that was going on behind the scenes for years but never revealed so directly until now.  When I see Christine getting frustrated with Janelle, perhaps that was something she felt for years with her, but I don't believe that at this point Janelle was still hanging on to anything.  In fact, I think she was only hanging on in the trailer at Coyote Pass because she didn't want to forfeit whatever she thought she would lose if she didn't do something to keep up the image of still being in a relationship with Kody.  But I do think that at that point he had already given himself over to complete monogamy with Robyn and Janelle was not living in denial about that to herself - just to the cameras to keep up her end of the "fictional" bargain.

Robyn is still spewing fiction about her "good intentions" with the other wives.  Her telling Meri all that garbage about not wanting her to leave is to make her look well intended but it's obvious after Meri saying that she rarely hears from her and was not invited to Easter with them that it is yet another fiction that Kody wanted Robyn to put forth to try to make her look better in the eyes of the audience.  Too bad, asshole, the audience sees right through that.

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Robyn has been the love of his life ever since he hooked up with her.

I'm thinking of the scene where Meri is tying Kody's tie for his wedding to Robyn.  Do you recall the look in his eyes as he gazes down at Meri?  It SEEMS like he's loving Meri, but now I think he's thinking about his next honeymoon and if there's anything he's feeling towards Meri is grateful that she's going to let him bang the love of his life.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Kody blaming the lack of loyalty on the part of his other wives as the reason for the family breakup and his disinterest in his other wives and children is a smokescreen. Robyn has been the love of his life ever since he hooked up with her. During Covid when he stayed with her and her children it confirmed to him that he no longer wanted  polygamy and that what really made him happy was a monogamous relationship with Robyn. He didn't have the guts or decency to admit this so he turned it around on the 'bad wives."  And of course it's all about making Kody happy so his other 13 children are now jerks and he wants nothing to do with them. He is despicable

This times 1,000!  I firmly believe that Kody practically ghosted the other wives as soon as he married Robyn, but wanted to keep pushing the fictional polygamous happy family image for the show.  And the other wives were strong-armed into it.  They were between a rock and a hard place so they kept up that BS on screen as much as possible.  I remember how Christine in particular flipped out as soon as she realized what was going on, and for a few years after that in Las Vegas she became the "basement wife", begging for scraps under Kody's table.  It was very hard to watch. 

On the show they make it sound like either moving to Flagstaff and/or Covid were the events that started the falling out, but I think those events only made it ever more obvious to the public what was really going on.  I think at first Kody fully expected the other wives to go along with moving into some ginormous house or cluster of houses in Flagstaff to keep on pushing the fiction on the show, but something changed along the way to derail his plans and they got their power back from him.  They kept resisting it and no matter how many times he tried to reel them back in to continue to live that fiction it wasn't working after a while.  

19 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

it was cringey back then but now, given that we know Robyn is the "love of ihs life", it was absolutely evil.  

I know!  I firmly believe (and even posted my suspicions on that years ago) that in entertaining what she thought was another man for a relationship Meri wasn't doing anything he didn't tell her to do after he divorced her.  The way he is acting now is probably the way he was acting to her back then, telling her to go live her own life, she was free, etc.  Meanwhile he was acting on screen to make her look like the villain.  Completely despicable.  Why Meri let that happen and at that point didn't go to the gossip rags or a publisher with her "tell all" is beyond me, but his hold on these women to this date has been more than just emotional and psychological.  I am sure she was worried about any legal implications.  I posted years ago that I wondered if his divorce settlement with her didn't include contracts and/or non-disclosure agreements about what she could and could not reveal without serious financial or legal consequences.  I have no love for Meri but I never saw this situation any other way.

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

Really, this just sounds like a guy who divorces his wife and once he finds a new wife and family, abandons all his prior relationships and children. It happens more often that people may think. 

So true, but at least in the case of women who are legally married to an asshole that does this, they at least have some legal protection and leverage in the form of child custody and visitation agreements, etc.  In the case of Janelle and Christine in particular, they didn't have such legal protection.  So he thought (and rightly so) that he could neglect their children as much as he wanted and get away with it.  What a bastard.  They probably could have fought for it legally anyway but their own hang ups about bringing the law into it made them not do that.  It's regrettable.

15 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

I have to go on the official record and say that Janelle is an odd duck that I never really understood. She wasn't born into polygamy but saw it in action and like what she saw. Frankly, I just think she doesn't want the full time responsibility of having a man in her home 24/7 that she has to cook and clean for, but at the same time, she was some kind of commitment and tie to a man. She just wants more of a commitment but only needs to see him a few times a week for a little slap and tickle and companionship, but then wants him on his merry way so she can garden, read or whatever else she does that makes her feel independent.  I can respect that but I don't necessarily think she needs to sign up for polygamy again to get that, but whatever. 

This is something I have wanted to say myself, almost word for word!  I think the only reason Janelle is saying she would still like being in a polygamous marriage is that it takes the responsibility off of her to be a fully participating spouse.  But d'oh, how could she not realize what else that comes along with after she has been at the losing end of it herself?  I think she'd be better off having a long term relationship with a divorced man who doesn't want a full time relationship anymore and just wants a couple of days a week with someone as a companion.  That kind of relationship is fine and can be a very committed one, but it's not marriage.  Why does it have to be marriage?  Maybe she hasn't realized that yet.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

Ugh, I thought we were getting Meri finally leaving and Robyn's ugly cry last night, but apparently I was wrong. I went back and re-watched the end of e9 and realized it was framed more as a midseason trailer and not as 'on the next episode of SW" Damn!

I get and love that Christine is giddy over leaving that jackass but she needs to slow her proverbial roll with Janelle.

I admit that sometimes I am like Dory and forget stuff that happened just last season, but is this the 1st time Kody ever admitted that Robyn is the love of his life? Why would he even admit that and then claim, with a straight face, there is no favoritism? What is worse is that he makes his ill treatment of the 0G3 their fault by saying they are not loyal, like Robyn. It is disgusting! Also, that is like a series ending statement. The grand experiment is over and he has chosen his dark queen over all else, including his non-Robyn kids. Take that horse out back and just put it out of his misery.

<snip>

I think it might be the first time he said "the love of my life" but he has made similar comments several times this season.  He's talked about having one wife that he is in love with.  He's a colossal douchebag.

Robyn's comment about it being important to Meri to have a relationship with her kids stuck out to me as well.

Kody and Meri have had no relationship for years upon years yet Robyn wants Meri to just hang on until the situations with Christine and Janelle are resolved and Kody is no longer angry and then Kody and Meri will magically have this blissful marriage??  This is such utter bull.  This woman cannot be serious. 

Kody could not tuck his and Christine's kids in at night when they were really young and they all lived in the same dwelling and she was working nights (after caring for a massive brood of kids all day long) but he has to rush over to Robyn's house every morning to get those kids ready for school.  He is such an ass.  This isn't a new development, either.  This was talked about when they still lived in Vegas.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, islandgal140 said:

Frankly, I just think she doesn't want the full time responsibility of having a man in her home 24/7 that she has to cook and clean for, but at the same time, she wants some kind of commitment and tie to a man.

Absolutely this.  

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Meri said something in one of her couch interviews along the lines of, Kody has already been through one divorce, does he want another?  I feel like she was talking about Janelle at that point, but does she really not consider her divorce from Kody an actual divorce?  Because he surely does.  It was the only "real" divorce so far, but it boggles my mind how Meri still seems to think she can get back with Kody after he not only gleefully divorced her, but has stated outright that she can pack her bags and head for Parowan and he wouldn't care at all.

I just find it unsettling that Meri doesn't seem to see herself as divorced, just because she still has the hots for Curly Sue.  It doesn't work that way, Mere.  

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I just love Christine and new-found happiness. I don't fault her for wanting the same thing for her best friend, Janelle. She even indicated that she's probably overstepping, but probably feels that Janelle needs a little push to finally make a clean break...once & for all. 

No doubt all the that talk is irritating for Janelle, but I'm sure she realizes that Christine means no harm. And let's face it, Janelle wouldn't be shy about telling Christine if it comes down to it.

I doubt Janelle is really irritated by Christine.  Hello, there is a camera right there.  Christine says what Janelle is too afraid to say.  I love their friendship.

Well, Kody’s statements are getting harsher and harsher.  I can’t imagine how hateful he is in person.

Robyn looks horrible.  That preview for next week had me rolling.  I’ve never seen such a group of sad sacks in my life.  Even Robyn looked pissed.  I love it.

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Meri decides it's easier to NOT move into a smaller rennal (DOAH!) and keeps that ginormous house in Flagstaff to live in part time...

And... the Astros lost 9-2.

Well, everything gets resolved when this show finally ends and these people have to make hard choices when the TLC money runs out.  No more property roulette.  And the baseball game was better than this crap.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

Absolutely this.  

She needs to stay single and date.  I like Janelle….sadly, she seems so beaten down and has a hard time expressing her feelings.

She raised some good, strong children that support her.  I love her boys.

1 hour ago, JoannKBC said:

Janelle saying that she wants to stay in polygamy because she wants a partner but she also wants independence is kind of sad, because it means she has not seen a monogamous marriage where the wife is independent. There are plenty of monogamous relationships - married or not - where both partners have the independence she enjoys. Hopefully she can figure that out.

Also...Robyn's been sobbing all season about how she just wants a big family and she's losing her dream of them all being a family together...and then instantly shuts down the idea of  the whole family gathering together. What is that about? Does she even hear herself talking?

Just like Robyn shut down Christmas because it could be dangerous to have the boys there.  What a bitch.  She can only hope that her kids support her like Janelle and Christine’s are doing.

Can Meri and her best friend just go away already..

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

BREAKING NEWS:  Christine and Jenelle are separating Asshat from his kids.

(Of course, he didn't travel with his daughter when she was getting major surgery even though she practically begged. It must've been Jenelle and Christine that prevented it.  and all this time, we thought it was his fault. We bad!)

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 9

Kody and his "Christine is turning the kids against me" rant...dude, odds are the older kids watch the show themselves and can see and hear what you are saying. And can figure out for themselves what you actually think of their mother and themselves.

But I'd bet Dayton, Aurora and Breana aren't allowed to watch the show, which is why the girls are still parroting Robyn's interpretation of events.

Kody is going to be in for a massive shock when Ari becomes a teenager and no longer thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Girl already has a strong personality.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4

I only watched the first part of the episode so far, but I'm confused. Kody banned Easter in favor of celebrating Passover instead. Christine and Janelle didn't protest, and Meri didn't care. Then Robyn came along and said she was going to take her kids to her mother's house to celebrate Easter because they always celebrate Easter. So Kody said that they could celebrate Easter at home, which is what Christine wanted anyway. This implies they started celebrating Easter again 10 years ago. But now Christine says she is only now getting to celebrate Easter, and Janelle is saying they need to recreate traditions. But if you follow Christine's and Kody's initial story, they were ALREADY celebrating Easter 10 years ago.

I don't feel like we are ever getting the real story with these people. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

I'm beginning to wonder if the production crew is staying in Meri's house while they are filming and TLC is paying for this.  Otherwise why is Meri paying to rent this huge 5 bedroom house? Maybe it is just so that Robyn and the kids can come over once every 3 months and sit outside and talk. It seems to me like living in that huge house by herself with no family and probably no friends visiting would be hugely depressing. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

I don’t understand a Christian family not celebrating Easter/Whatever you want to call Christ’s resurrection? Christ dying for our sins and his resurrection are the biggest component of Christianity. 
Nothing wrong with acknowledging Passover, bc of Jesus’ Jewish roots, events leading to his death happening around Passover, etc. I get that tie in for some people. I also get not doing the more commercial or more Pagan components of eggs, bunnies, etc. But to not do Easter/Resurrection Sunday at all? Is this a Kody thing, an AUB thing, etc? Is this like when they couldn’t afford gifts and downplayed that aspect of Christmas? Kody is so weird.

• Like 7
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I just love Christine and new-found happiness. I don't fault her for wanting the same thing for her best friend, Janelle. She even indicated that she's probably overstepping, but probably feels that Janelle needs a little push to finally make a clean break...once & for all. 

No doubt all the that talk is irritating for Janelle, but I'm sure she realizes that Christine means no harm. And let's face it, Janelle wouldn't be shy about telling Christine if it comes down to it.

Agreed 100%. 

Also, as a divorced woman with many divorced friends, I've never met a woman who regretted it (only that they didn't do it sooner) so I get where Christine is coming from. She's high on her own freedom and I'm here for it. :)

Edited by Cheery Divorcee
added a word
  • Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I'm thinking of the scene where Meri is tying Kody's tie for his wedding to Robyn.  Do you recall the look in his eyes as he gazes down at Meri?  It SEEMS like he's loving Meri, but now I think he's thinking about his next honeymoon and if there's anything he's feeling towards Meri is grateful that she's going to let him bang the love of his life.  

his 11 day honeymoon. Gag me.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

That preview for next week had me rolling.  I’ve never seen such a group of sad sacks in my life.

Me too. I love when Kody talks about there being a lot of pain...looking totally stone-faced. He doesn't look like he's in an pain at all.

He acts like a man who's shed a whole bunch of dead weight.

• Like 6

I have to say it again:  Sobbyn proved she's every bit a snake in the grass with that reptilian print top.  She dresses like she's a hundred years old, and she isn't aging well, either.  Lying liar says she misses the big family events, yet says a reunion won't happen because some of the OG 13 (ya know, the ones Kootie doesn't give a shit about) would cause trouble.  

Kootie calling her the love of his life was just another jab at the wives and kids he's either pissed at, or ignores anyway.  Those two toxic people get worse with every season and every episode.  I wouldn't be sorry if that ugly as mud house goes into foreclosure, without the worker bee wives to share the cost.  

Meri re-upping her lease, and acting like she's in middle school with "just Jenn" make me think she's truly taken leave of whatever senses she had.  Cringeworthy.  

What a shitshow.

• Like 14
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5

Kody said it’s “pathetic” that Janelle was so easily swayed by Christine.  Which means that Janelle has no mind of her own and is unable to think for herself.  Explains why he is so eager for them to reconcile.  If I were Janelle, I’d be offended.

• Like 21
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pingaponga said:

Kody is going to be in for a massive shock when Ari becomes a teenager and no longer thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Girl already has a strong personality.

I LOL'd when Robyn told us that Ari is more like Kody, like that's a good thing.

Don't worry, Eyebrows, we see it.  Ari is annoying, bossy, gets in people's personal space and has no filter.  We see Kody in her, plain as day.  Give Kody a mullet and they'd be twins.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

I only watched the first part of the episode so far, but I'm confused. Kody banned Easter in favor of celebrating Passover instead. Christine and Janelle didn't protest, and Meri didn't care. Then Robyn came along and said she was going to take her kids to her mother's house to celebrate Easter because they always celebrate Easter. So Kody said that they could celebrate Easter at home, which is what Christine wanted anyway. This implies they started celebrating Easter again 10 years ago. But now Christine says she is only now getting to celebrate Easter, and Janelle is saying they need to recreate traditions. But if you follow Christine's and Kody's initial story, they were ALREADY celebrating Easter 10 years ago.

I don't feel like we are ever getting the real story with these people. 

I don't think they were celebrating Easter with the bunny and egg hunt the way Christine wanted to, they were celebrating Resurrection Sunday for the last 10 years without the non-religious extras.

Kody's new talking point is definitely that Christine and Janelle are trying to separate him from his kids. How many times did he say that this episode? It's laughable. Those "kids" are adults (with the exception of Truly), they have their own lives, and homes, and spouses. He is separating himself from the kids - nothing stopping him from reaching out and interacting with them without the mothers' involvement (except his giant ego and the love of his life). He can't even accept an invitation to Garrison's house? No, the kids have to come to him! And if they don't, it's because their mothers have been trashtalking his curls.

Edited by OldWiseOne
  • Like 15
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

I also think it's strange they didn't celebrate Easter til Robyn came along and changed everything. Easter is the biggest holiday in my religion. 

Its from last week but I love that Janelle’s boys said they will be wherever Christine is for the holidays. Perfect. 

Meri friend hub does things Kody should be doing for her. And yes Meri has shown her ugly sides numerous times but still, when she said Jen is the only person who defends her, that is quite sad. Another Kody fail. He had a child with her, for crying out loud, and is not spiritually divorced from her.

And Janelle,you were never married to Kody legally. You can do whateverthe hell want. You always could !

Robyn is such a 2-faced asshole, I can't stand her.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1