Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

I hope they  pay attention to that poll.  Several days ago reading this forum I realized I hadn't seen a commercial for Mayim's brain pill recently.  Since then I've seen it but hadn't been noticing it because she wasn't in it.  I hope it isn't something they asked her to quit for the Jeopardy job.  I would of disliked her anyway but that commercial sealed it.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, deemac said:

I hope they  pay attention to that poll.  Several days ago reading this forum I realized I hadn't seen a commercial for Mayim's brain pill recently.  Since then I've seen it but hadn't been noticing it because she wasn't in it.  I hope it isn't something they asked her to quit for the Jeopardy job.  I would of disliked her anyway but that commercial sealed it.

I hope they stopped using her because she did nothing for their product.  It was all about me, me, me.  I always thought she came across as smug in that commercial.  I've seen the new one and it uses ordinary people to sell the product.  More believable, in my opinion. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, deemac said:

I have noticed lately that all the commercials I see for J! feature Ken as host. Could mean nothing, could mean… 

41FFA925-BA67-4623-93A2-91AF4E6A186C.gif.68293530e0fddf4c4747c4e7bc695f70.gif

• Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Ken Levine has a podcast in addition to his blog. This week's podcast is about Jeopardy! Apprently. it's a two parter...First part dropped today:

(His description: JEOPARDY has become a nation obsession. This week and next Ken talks to head researcher Suzanne Stone who was with the show for 38 years. Go behind-the-scenes and learn how the questions are assembled, the contestants are chosen, what happens during production, etc. It’s a show and podcast for smart people (y’know, like YOU). )

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2022/06/ep281-inside-jeopardy.htmlou

You can also find his podcast on Spotify and other podcast apps...

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was surprised, listening to that podcast, to learn that Jeopardy! gets higher ratings than some of the shows in prime time.

Jeopardy! getting higher ratings than prime time shows didn't surprise me because it's not really competing with anything else on the major networks at the times it airs, except entertainment news (which reruns throughout the day) and reruns of sitcoms.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Jeopardy! getting higher ratings than prime time shows didn't surprise me because it's not really competing with anything else on the major networks at the times it airs, 

Also, the ratings for many network shows are pretty abysmal these days. Not to take anything away from Jeopardy’s popularity, but I bet the comparison wasn’t as favorable in pre-streaming days.

Or, maybe Mayim’s really bringing in the crowds! 

• LOL 5
On 6/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, 30 Helens said:

I have noticed lately that all the commercials I see for J! feature Ken as host. Could mean nothing, could mean… 

41FFA925-BA67-4623-93A2-91AF4E6A186C.gif.68293530e0fddf4c4747c4e7bc695f70.gif

"could mean..."?

11 hours ago, PBnJay said:

This gets my vote too, times 10,000!

j.png.331f06a88b87784422dc71f7e8837428.png

I read that too fast. I thought it said they wanted both Ken and Mayim to play and that just seemed silly to me because regardless of who you back as a host, I think most agree she wouldn't stand a chance against him.

But I guess that's why they're proposing him as host and her as a player, ha. 

I doubt she could play, though.  From what Ken has said, it sounds like even doing a guest host job precluded him from every playing the game again.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I read that too fast. I thought it said they wanted both Ken and Mayim to play and that just seemed silly to me because regardless of who you back as a host, I think most agree she wouldn't stand a chance against him.

But I guess that's why they're proposing him as host and her as a player, ha. 

I doubt she could play, though.  From what Ken has said, it sounds like even doing a guest host job precluded him from every playing the game again.

Would they let Mayim play for charity? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't think Mayim would want to play & expose her ignorance of most of the categories.

Most, if not all. I'd pay money to see it though.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

She's been imo rather dismissive of trivia in interviews and she seems like she can barely get out the correct answer when it's in front of her on cards, so--yes. I'd love to see her in a game.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

From TV Line...

Pluto TV on Monday, Aug. 1 will launch two new channels featuring classic episodes of Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, Vulture reports. A third game show-centric channel, featuring ’round-the-clock episodes of Wayne Brady’s Let’s Make a Deal, launched earlier today.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, stonehaven said:

Ken Levine's Part Two chat with Suzanne Stone who worked on Jeopardy!  dropped this week:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2022/07/ep282-double-jeopardy.html

(note: various recordings of audio each involving language found to had been vulgar or profane at this World Wide Web address (example: at least one such recording accessed upon selecting a triangle to the left of some text of, "EP282: Double JEOPARDY"))

(edited)
On 7/9/2022 at 5:22 PM, stonehaven said:

Ken Levine's Part Two chat with Suzanne Stone who worked on Jeopardy!  dropped this week:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2022/07/ep282-double-jeopardy.html

“…More with Suzanne Stone who spent 38 years working at JEOPARDY. This week we center on the contestant process, audience reaction to the various hosts, and miscellaneous categories…”

Interesting factoid mentioned:  A third party Standards and Practices group selects the questions from an envelope. 
They also get involved in judgment calls.

42 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

language found to had been vulgar or profane

At the end of the interview Ken Levine does drop a single F bomb, at which Suzanne Stone laughs good naturedly.

Edited by shapeshifter

The audience is returning

>>>Ken Jennings has shared the news that Jeopardy! is welcoming back its live audience for Season 39, and fans are wondering if he’s about to be named permanent host.

The current stand-in co-host shared a video from the official Jeopardy! Twitter account that revealed tickets are now available for fans to return to the Alex Trebek Stage for new episodes. The long-running game show has not been filmed with a live studio audience since February 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.<<<

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ken-jennings-drops-big-news-about-next-season-of-e2-80-98jeopardy-e2-80-99/ar-AAZwNWTf

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 7/10/2022 at 6:30 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't think Mayim would want to play & expose her ignorance of most of the categories.

Depends on the categories. “I’ll take pseudoscience for 600, Ken!”

• LOL 8

TMZ just ran a segment on the Taylor Swift clue from Wednesday that was a TS: "And I'm just like oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh you need to just stop like can you just not step on my gown?" Of course all the TMZ staffers knew next line/title was "You Need to Calm Down." In the players' defense, Harvey said it should have been the $2000 clue, not $400. 

The show editor got a kick out of replaying Ken's "oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh" multiple times.

• Applause 1
(edited)

Ken is on $100,000 Pyramid tonight, Sunday, July 24, 9 p.m. central. It's on my must-watch list! He's playing against Ross Mathews, a fav of mine. Second half hour is RuPaul against Carson Cressley, two more of my favorite people. Will be a great hour ... for me, anyway!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Update: Ken ROCKED Pyramid, fastest answers EVER. He was awesome and so funny, that entire episode was so much fun. The second half hour, however ... I love Carson and RuPaul but couldn't finish watching, it was gruesome after Ken's blazing performance. Poor Ross Mathews didn't stand a chance!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I think this is a mistake if true (and sources reporting it have had the scoop these last 18 months or so).  Consistency is such a big part of the appeal of the show to many.  I imagine even some without a strong preference between Ken and Mayim might prefer to have one or the other.

I've given it some thought and, the way my mind works, I think I'd rather have the host I like less on the show full-time, and have to get used to them or watch something else, than experience the sensations of "on weeks" and "off weeks," tracking when they're coming and going, etc.

This just feels like an incomplete transition.  I don't think it is the way to go.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Well, so much for Sony paying attention to polls. I did get a laugh out of this sentence: "Should the show narrow it down to a single host, or should we not mess with it a good thing?"

I guess I don't see anything good about having these two hosts continuing as they have been.

I guess I'll just have to hate watch half of Season 39 and search for some anti-skin-crawling ointment during one person's stint. And that sucks.

7 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I've given it some thought and, the way my mind works, I think I'd rather have the host I like less on the show full-time, and have to get used to them or watch something else, than experience the sensations of "on weeks" and "off weeks," tracking when they're coming and going, etc.

This makes no sense to me when I'd rather have the host I like full-time so I can go on enjoying this show that's the highlight of my week days. End of story.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I imagine even some without a strong preference between Ken and Mayim might prefer to have one or the other.

As someone who has no preference:  I do think they should have picked one host (whether it be Mayim, Ken, or someone else) going forward, but I'm not bothered they didn't, as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show for two of them to trade off.  I just think it was a lazy decision.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dbklmt said:

No emoji to express how I feel about this.  I'll just say UGH!

This was my first reaction.  I have no other words for this stupid decision.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, dbklmt said:

No emoji to express how I feel about this.  I'll just say UGH!

I know! This will be the THIRD straight season with multiple hosts. Come on, TIIC, pick ONE host and be done with it!!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Screenshot_20220725-215442_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Variety has the dual-hosts story posted also, "according to a person familiar with the matter," although a Sony spokesperson did not respond to queries for a comment.

‘Jeopardy!’: Mayim Bialik, Ken Jennings Will Keep Splitting Host Duties

Yes. And this too:

“With all of our plans for ‘Jeopardy!’ — which is more ‘Jeopardy!,’ not less, more versions — we’re going to need multiple hosts to represent the entire audience, to represent the entire country, in order to take this franchise forward,” executive producer Michael Davies told Variety in June. 

But I can’t help wondering if the decision to keep both hosts for now isn’t at least in part to capitalize on the buzz generated by fan outrage?

Also, having 2 (or more) hosts is a little insurance against social media posters canceling one or the other. These days, they probably do need backups. Plus, as happened recently, Covid, which can be contracted repeatedly due to potentially infinite variants.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I know! This will be the THIRD straight season with multiple hosts. Come on, TIIC, pick ONE host and be done with it!!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

"TIIC"?

(edited)
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. And this too:

But I can’t help wondering if the decision to keep both hosts for now isn’t at least in part to capitalize on the buzz generated by fan outrage?

Also, having 2 (or more) hosts is a little insurance against social media posters canceling one or the other. These days, they probably do need backups. Plus, as happened recently, Covid, which can be contracted repeatedly due to potentially infinite variants.

"Covid"?

"Wordnik" ("covid"):

from The Century Dictionary.

noun A variable measure of length in use in India and neighboring countries. The covids of Batavia, Madras, Bombay, and Calcutta are stated at from 18 to 18.6 inches; those of Mocha and Sumatra at from 15 to 16 inches. The covid of China is the chin, equal to 14.1 inches.

"Oxford English Dictionary" ("covid"):

Anglo-Indian. Obsolete.

A lineal measure formerly used in India: its length varied, at different places and times, from 36 to 14 inches.

"Covid [Inc.]":

About Covid  

Who Is Covid?  

As a leader in the AV industry, Covid has been manufacturing innovative audio-visual connectivity solutions for nearly 40 years. We provide industry leading customer service and quality products at competitive prices. Product offerings include; custom wall plates and panels, cable products, bulk cable, connectors, signal management solutions and many other A/V accessories.  Located in Tempe, Arizona, Covid works with many well-known A/V dealers, distributors and representative firms throughout the U.S. and abroad.  Covid products are sold in over 15 different international countries and carried by distributors in Canada, the Middle East and Europe.

Edited by Mario500

I might be in the minority if not solo  for being okay as it relates to the co-host thing; I guess.

That's fine for me.  To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with both permanently.  I hardly think the show would crumble if they split duties going forward.  I do not think there's a law that mandates just one person hosting a gameshow series.  For me, it's show first, host or hosts second.

If and when they go with one, I might bet on that being the result of Jennings or Bialik moving on to greener pastures than TPTB making a final official call in the one person that will succeed Alex.

That being said, I still would prefer for them to stick to one person as it's uncommon for several people running the show.  Especially this one, where it's not just returning champions, but the "play until someone beats you" format for returning contestants.  If they don't, so be it.  Mayim & Ken sharing duties is nothing like the mess that was 2021

• Love 3

If true then I will continue as I have been. I watch the full game with Ken. I watch the opening then switch off before she is introduced. Then go back at end to see who wins. Cowardly Sony. And negotiations are probably her making sure she earns the most.

• Applause 2
5 hours ago, Carey said:

I might be in the minority if not solo  for being okay as it relates to the co-host thing; I guess.

That's fine for me.  To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with both permanently.  I hardly think the show would crumble if they split duties going forward.  I do not think there's a law that mandates just one person hosting a gameshow series.  For me, it's show first, host or hosts second.

I guess I am in that minority with you  I don't know why people insist there must be only ONE host.  Could have 4 or 5,  Might make things more interesting.

And yes,  "it's show first, host or hosts second"  I never particularly love or hate individual contestants the way some viewers do.  And I don't love or hate any of the hosts in the past couple of years,

• Love 2

Well, it's official:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mayim-bialik-and-ken-jennings-named-permanent-jeopardy-hosts/ar-AA101PG1?li=BBnbfcL

Ugh.  Why don't they put Mayim on the specials and the Celebrity Jeopardy show like they originally planned and keep the regular show with Ken?  This switching host thing sucks.  I'm not going to say I won't watch when Mayim hosts, but I'm not going to knock myself out to be home on time for those shows.  At least when I record it, I can ff through her painfully bad introductions and interview segments.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm glad that Ken will be hosting the TOC, especially this TOC with multiple super champions. 

So, it looks like I'll be watching from September through the end of the year. Hopefully, Ken will then be back in the spring. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm glad that Ken will be hosting the TOC, especially this TOC with multiple super champions.

I am glad he's doing the TOC too.  And I hope they do it in prime time.  I can't help but get irritated when people make Jeopardy! host jokes on TV shows and it's always Mayim except for the one joke on Call Me Kat. I'd hope his profile gets raised.

The one thing that I don't understand is that I'm sure they figured they were going this way much sooner than now.  I don't know why they dragged things out as long as they did.  There was no need to make such a big deal out of basically maintaining the status quo.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I am glad he's doing the TOC too.

The opposite would have been another mistake. They are fortunate to have a GOAT Jeopardy! champion to host the TOC. Perhaps we can see the choice to have Ken host the TOC rather than Mayim (as well as Ken accepting) to be a sign of positive course correction in decision making for Jeopardy! although Ken as TOC host should have been a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't know why they dragged things out as long as they did.  There was no need to make such a big deal out of basically maintaining the status quo.

Maybe it was just that Ken wasn’t sure he could fit it in his schedule?

I assume if Buzzy or anyone else was a contender, it would have leaked on social media. 
Wait. 
Wasn’t there something like that on Twitter a month or so ago?? 

• Like 1