Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

On 8/25/2022 at 10:06 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I've heard of Ray Romano. That's it. No CJ! for me.

You would probably recognize most of them when you see them, if you watch much TV. Michael Cera was the youngest son on Arrested Development. Aisha Tyler was on Friends, as the scientist girlfriend of Ross and Joey. Patton Oswalt is a standup comedian and voice of Ratatouille (ok, not recognizable from that). BJ Novak was Ryan the Temp from the Office. Constance Wu was in Fresh off the Boat and Crazy Rich Asians.

All in all, not a terrible cast. But I probably still won’t watch because, you know, Mayim. 😉

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

You would probably recognize most of them when you see them, if you watch much TV.

I literally only know half of them and don't like any of that half enough to put up with both Mayim and the fucked up tournament structure.  (Note: I don't dislike them, but am not a big fan of any of them.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Not sure if this is really from 8 hours ago or a repost on YouTube, but I thought it was a pretty good interview.

really enjoyed this

if they can be happy to share this, i don't see why there has to be such hate for either of these nice people

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Not sure if this is really from 8 hours ago or a repost on YouTube, but I thought it was a pretty good interview.

I just came across this while scrolling facebook (came here to see if had been shared yet); it was posted there last night (Sept 1). I looked up the podcast on iTunes* and the episode this interview appears to have come from was August 30 (haven't watched yet; just going by the episode description). Just added to my Watch Later list on youtube (which I am watching as I do stuff around the house since I got out of work early).

*Not surprisingly, all of the episode titles are in the form of a question.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
On 9/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Wow! Who knew she has a PhD.?

Seriously, it's a good interview.

And who knew Ken had been a contestant?

Really good interview overall. I like both Ken and Mayim, and I think both are good in the host role.

• Love 1

Being called on what? That some people who post in Twitter don't know the rules and want them to be different? All the talk about time limits is wrong. The time limits apply when there is no answer. Once you answer, you have however long it takes the host to indicate yes or no to correct a mistake. She didn't make it. He did. She was good and I liked her, but she was also generally slow and made a classic mistake of giving an unasked for first name. Ken doesn't make or chose the rules; he just delivers the judgment. And gets the blame. Trebek's obvious patronizing of so many female contestants didn't ignite this level if attention. Though the article was very thin and only apparently found three people to use.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
On 9/17/2022 at 11:52 AM, Trey said:

It didn't sit right with me either.  It wasn't so much that he ruled the woman's answer incorrect, it was that he gave the champ (unfairly, I thought) a 2nd chance to give the correct answer.  I like Ken, but how could he not have heard what we all did.   

However, the article made it sound sexist, which is ridiculous. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

It didn't sit right with me either.  It wasn't so much that he ruled the woman's answer incorrect, it was that he gave the champ (unfairly, I thought) a 2nd chance to give the correct answer.  I like Ken, but how could he not have heard what we all did.

The judges could have reversed his ruling, hence they deserve the blame for not doing so. Would it have made a difference in the final outcome? I don't recall.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SyracuseMug said:

The judges could have reversed his ruling, hence they deserve the blame for not doing so. Would it have made a difference in the final outcome? I don't recall.

Since all 3 players knew FJ, and since Luigi's wagering was highly variable, it's not possible to say definitively whether Harriet would have won.

But if we subtract $2K from Luigi's score at the end of DJ (because he would not have rung in on the Le Guin clue), and if Luigi did bet the same ($3K of his now $15,800 at the end of DJ),
and if we add $4K to Harriet's score at the end of DJ for the Le Guin clue (giving her $12,600), and if we presume Harriet again bet all but $100, yes, she would have won.

HOWEVER, Luigi *did* bet enough to cover Winston betting everything, so, IDK.
Would Luigi have bet enough to cover Harriet betting it all? Maybe. Probably?
j-archive.com/showgameresponses.php?game_id=7434#:~:text=Scores at the end of the Double Jeopardy! Round

But he sure didn't on his last day. 🤷‍♀️
j-archive.com/showgameresponses.php?game_id=7437#:~:text=Scores at the end of the Double Jeopardy! Round%3A

ETA: I agree that

• the judges are ultimately "to blame"
    (that's their job)
  • that Ken can't help routing for the champ 
    (didn't Alex tend towards this too?)
  • Ken would have done the same if it was Luisa The Champ and Harry The Challenger instead of Luigi and Harriet.
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

How do you feel about the idea of bonus money for running a category?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jeopardy-bosses-considering-big-rule-change/ar-AA124FRa?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=52ce884b52584a5593cbe63e2654b8ca

Jeopardy!‘s executive producer Mike Davies is toying with an interesting format change to help shake up the long-running game show, but not everybody is on board with the idea.

Speaking on the Inside Jeopardy! podcast on Monday, September 19, Davies brought up the concept of offering cash bonuses to contestants who correctly answer an entire column of clues under one topic. The producer, who took over from the ousted Mike Richards in 2021, first touched on the idea last week but went into more detail on this week’s podcast.

“I have been thinking about trying out, perhaps in one of our other tournaments this season, experimenting with giving out a cash bonus for contestants who run a category,” Davies said in conversation on the podcast with show producer Sarah Foss and Jeopardy! alum Buzzy Cohen. “It’s a moment in the studio; it’s a great thing.”

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

That would make a player's strategizing interesting -- do you jump around the board looking for DDs and hoping to throw your competitors off-balance if you're on a roll, or do you stick with a strong category in the hopes of running it and picking up immediate cash?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Explanation of why the Constant/ LeGuin rulings happened:

https://z100.iheart.com/content/2022-09-21-jeopardy-producer-address-recent-controversial-episiode/

Although I think the timings for rulings are inconsistent (Ken didn’t “interrupt” Harriet, as the article initially asserts, but it was a very quick ruling; sometimes contestants get more time to correct themselves), that’s what happens when you have actual humans hosting instead of robots. It’s ridiculous to call this sexist.

Likewise, if Ken really didn’t hear Luigi, then he didn’t hear him. He followed the rules. Sometimes Twitter people just have too much time on their hands. 

I don’t really care for the idea of adding cash bonuses to the game. I’m not sure why, maybe I’m just a traditionalist. But it just seems gimmicky, and unnecessary. Running a category should be simply a source of pride, just like when I get a FJ at home. Throw cash at me when I do that, and maybe I’ll reconsider.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Y'know, "Wheel" increases their potential winnings in the bonus round to reflect the season they're in.  Now that they're in season 40, the least amount in the bonus round is $40k. Last season it was $39k.  I've been wondering if they can afford to do that, why can't J! afford to pay more to the non-winning contestants? $1000/$2000 seems so piddly.  NOW they wanna throw cash at category runners?  No. Pay the other contestants more.

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Jeopardy producers: for the love of whatever god you worship, STOP FUCKING AROUND WITH THE SHOW!!!!  This is a perfect case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Ken didn't do anything wrong here.  It's perfectly within the rules of the show.

but i don't think he would have changed it if ken had not asked him to repeat it

and i think there would be some who would object if it was mayim at the podium when this happened

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, cinsays said:

but i don't think he would have changed it if ken had not asked him to repeat it

and i think there would be some who would object if it was mayim at the podium when this happened

Probably not but Ken did not hear his answer clearly and asking him to repeat it was not wrong.  As for your second point, maybe, but those people would be wrong too.

• Love 1

I don't think it was sexism or deliberate favoritism, but I still think it was wrong, even if it was "just a mishap". They have judges, they have tape. If Ken didn't hear, the judges could have ruled that the first answer was the answer, not the one the player came up with after a long pause and being given a second chance.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't think it was sexism or deliberate favoritism, but I still think it was wrong, even if it was "just a mishap". They have judges, they have tape. If Ken didn't hear, the judges could have ruled that the first answer was the answer, not the one the player came up with after a long pause and being given a second chance.

Yes. 
And if there is a rule in place that says Ken gets to ask for a repeat if he didn't hear, there should be a corollary to the rule that states that if, upon review of the tape, the contestant answers with a clearly different and correct response, the second response does not count.

Perhaps rules haven't been adequately updated since they started reviewing tapes?

ETA: I guess this is why they now have "second chance" shows.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/22/2022 at 12:45 PM, shapeshifter said:

I guess this is why they now have "second chance" shows.

That's not a new thing, although they'd usually just bring back a contestant who the judges or producers decided were the victims of a mistake and have them play regular games, not a special tournament.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

ETA: I guess this is why they now have "second chance" shows.

I don't know. This is kinda like, to me, everyone gets a trophy, you get a trophy, you get a trophy, YOU get a trophy ...

It's like no one can be a "loser" any more.

• Love 1
On 9/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, proserpina65 said:

That's not a new thing, although they'd usually just bring back a contestant who the judges or producers decided were the victims of a mistake and have them play regular games, not a special tournament.

That was a much better solution, IMO. But the show has become increasingly tournament-happy, so this was not a surprising move. One of these days, the entire season is going to be one long tournament. “Now introducing our first two hundred contestants…!”

• Fire 1
  • LOL 4

I love all the new J! possibilities. Also love their embracing of Buzzy on the podcast. The writing has changed for the better - more current events and pop culture. It has to evolve to stay relevant as knowing all the things becomes easier.

This is a comment from the NYT article linked above. I think this isn't from a J! fan, though, given how easy this person thinks it is to "know all the things" and that pop culture is necessary to stay relevant. I find a lot of people are convinced they know all about the show but don't actually watch it. That's the feeling I got from a lot of those comments.

• Mind Blown 1
11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Really nice Washington Post article on Ken. 

It was very interesting to me that they mentioned that it was harder to attract new contestants during Ken's run. I wonder whether Matt Amodio's run suppressed candidates and somehow contributed to the number of superchamps in season 38. And if that is part of what drove the idea of the Second Chance as well.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Matt Rogers, who was a Celebrity Jeopardy contestant recently, was on Seth Meyers's show last night. They talked a little about CJ and Seth asked him if it's really true that the clues are so much easier on CJ vs regular J.

Rogers: Yes, they are like: Where is the United States? and What color is the ocean? It's really all about buzzer timing on CJ.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1