Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Amy appeared on CNN's "Reliable Sources" this morning, with Brian Stelter.  It was a nice interview, not too much that we did not already know.  

She made a very good push for Ken as the host.  I agree with her.  He's eased into it so that I actually like him better than Alex.  (I know...sacrilege) He's easy going, humorous and genuinely seems to like people.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, deemac said:

She made a very good push for Ken as the host.  I agree with her.  He's eased into it so that I actually like him better than Alex.  (I know...sacrilege) He's easy going, humorous and genuinely seems to like people.

Agree with you totally on all points. Having Mayim back is a real downer and puts a sour spin on this show. As some poster said, she's ACTING like a game-show host while Ken IS a game-show host, that's so obvious watching each one. I had some complaints about Alex and how he treated some players, but Ken is so kind to everyone with no snark behind his comments.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Having Mayim back is a real downer and puts a sour spin on this show.

I'm hoping it's just for February, since she's hosting the (evening) College Tournament next week & the week after. This way, there's a consistency--one host for day & night, instead of one during day and a different one at night (not that J! airs during "day" for some people, but you know what I mean). It also allows her to "plug" the nighttime show.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

The Quarterfinals of the College Tournament match-up: https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/national-college-championship

59 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Remind me to skip that.

I will be watching to see the college students. I miss them since retiring, and this way I don't have to share their germs, heh. 
So even though I get regular Jeopardy! on CBS (or YouTube) the College Tournament seems to be coming to my area via ABC, immediately following regular Jeopardy! 
The College Tournament is also "streaming on Hulu," but sometimes that can be substantially delayed.🤷‍♀️

• Love 1

There are a lot of great schools represented, so hopefully it'll be a strong tournament.  And it's nice to see more diversity among those contestants than we tend to get in the regular game.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I will be watching to see the college students. I miss them since retiring, and this way I don't have to share their germs, heh. 
So even though I get regular Jeopardy! on CBS (or YouTube) the College Tournament seems to be coming to my area via ABC, immediately following regular Jeopardy! 
The College Tournament is also "streaming on Hulu," but sometimes that can be substantially delayed.🤷‍♀️

The college tournament is airing on the ABC network  in prime time, like any other ABC show.  The regular Jeopardy! show is syndicated, so depending on where you live, it could be on any of your local stations.

As far as Hulu, normally shows they have are available the next day after they’ve aired. 

• Useful 1
On 2/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, 30 Helens said:

Her comments make no sense to me, but maybe it’s just because I have a tummy ache.

Mayim gives me a stomach ache too. You have my sympathy.

I've been repeatedly seeing the same commercial for the tournament, the one where Mayim pushes her face into the camera so it fills the entire screen, then says, "And it's hosted BY ME! MAYIM BIALIK!"

Talk about giving someone a stomach ache. Way to make the tournament about herself and not the kids who worked hard to get there. I can't imagine Alex doing that, nor Ken. Ever. But somehow it fits her profile.

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Mayim gives me a stomach ache too. You have my sympathy.

Thanks! I’m actually fine. I was just snarking on Mayim’s comment (in the linked article) about how the smallest things- even a tummy ache! -can bring down even the greatest of champions. 

Too bad nobody thought to give Amy some Tums.

10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm not crazy about Mayim and I'm not sure I care for the bracket-style format. 

I'm tending toward watching the Olympics. 

So will I. Cannot stand Mayim.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Are we going to have a separate thread for the College Tournament since it is not interrupting regular play? Or are all comments going to be mashed together in the regular season thread?

I would think there should be a separate thread since this is not part of the regular Jeopardy! run, more like the GOAT tournament.

I wonder if the winner of this tournament will automatically get a spot in the ToC.  I wish they did the CT as they've always done, just a tournament in the regular season.

I don't know if I'll be watching it.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Trey said:

I wonder if the winner of this tournament will automatically get a spot in the ToC. 

I read somewhere that the winner won't be in the ToC, but don't quote me. The show producers haven't been all that forthcoming about this tournament.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, PBnJay said:

The show producers haven't been all that forthcoming about this tournament.

If fact, if you notice by the match-ups, for the 8 days (2 episodes per day) of the tournament, 6 days are taken up by the quarterfinals. That will leave 12 players going into the semis with 4 episodes remaining (assuming only the winners move on, instead of regular tournaments where there are "wild card" spots). How will that work? If they do 3 players per semi, that will leave 4 going into the final with no episodes left! Will they come up with a "4th" podium and have 3 semis with 4 players each and 1 episode of a final with 3 players???? 

• Love 1
On 2/5/2022 at 9:37 AM, illdoc said:

If fact, if you notice by the match-ups, for the 8 days (2 episodes per day) of the tournament, 6 days are taken up by the quarterfinals. That will leave 12 players going into the semis with 4 episodes remaining (assuming only the winners move on, instead of regular tournaments where there are "wild card" spots). How will that work? If they do 3 players per semi, that will leave 4 going into the final with no episodes left! Will they come up with a "4th" podium and have 3 semis with 4 players each and 1 episode of a final with 3 players???? 

Here is your answer from jeopardy site.....

"Tuesday, Feb. 8 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 1, Quarterfinals 1 & 2
Wednesday, Feb. 9 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 2, Quarterfinals 3 & 4
Thursday, Feb. 10 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 3, Quarterfinals 5 & 6
Friday, Feb. 11 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 4, Quarterfinals 7 & 8
Tuesday, Feb. 15 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 5, Quarterfinals 9 & 10
Wednesday, Feb. 16 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 6, Quarterfinals 11 & 12

***There will be 1 winner per quarterfinal game. 12 winners will advance to the semifinals.

Thursday, Feb. 17 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 7, Semifinals 1 & 2
Friday, Feb. 18 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 8, Semifinals 3 & 4

***There will be 1 winner per semifinal game. Out of those 4 winners, the 3 with the highest semifinal game total will advance to the 2-game finals.

Tuesday, Feb. 22 (8 - 9 p.m. ET) - Episode 9, Finals 1 & 2"

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2022 at 9:51 AM, chitowngirl said:

Are we going to have a separate thread for the College Tournament since it is not interrupting regular play? Or are all comments going to be mashed together in the regular season thread?

On 2/4/2022 at 10:36 AM, Trey said:

I would think there should be a separate thread since this is not part of the regular Jeopardy! run, more like the GOAT tournament.

I wonder if the winner of this tournament will automatically get a spot in the ToC.  I wish they did the CT as they've always done, just a tournament in the regular season.

I don't know if I'll be watching it.

I started a new topic thread for the College Tournament. Please post comments about the Tournament there: 

• Love 1

Interview with Mayim:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/mayim-bialik-jeopardy-host-1235168705/

I’m fascinated by the two red buttons. What’s the distinction? And since they took one away, does that mean production  has to figure out why she’s slapping the one remaining? Do they reinstall the second button when Ken hosts, assuming he has more button control? 

Also revealed: “Call Me Kat” wraps for the season in March, freeing up Mayim for even more hosting time. (Booooo…) Fingers crossed it goes back into production very soon thereafter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Does she really call herself “missmayim”?

Afraid so. Just search Twitter for @missmayim and you've found her.

42 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

How do I get a job copying other people's tweets and calling it journalism?  That seems like a pretty sweet gig.

Kind of like calling yourself a neuroscientist when you aren't. Evidently, anyone can claim any profession these days.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

The two most interesting pieces of information: 

1.  Only contestants from this season will be eligible.

2.  The 4th semifinalist from the college tournament will be included because they agree that it's kind of unfair that they don't make it to the final. 

• Useful 3
17 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The 4th semifinalist from the college tournament will be included because they agree that it's kind of unfair that they don't make it to the final.

I just assumed that they would get the 3rd place finalist prize (granted, screwed out of a chance at 2nd or 1st place).

5 hours ago, rubaco said:

Among the Super Bowl commercials last night was one that included a Jeopardy bit and "don't blink or you'll miss him" Buzzy Cohen.

Oh, I didn't even notice him in the midst of Dennis Rodman storming off.

5 hours ago, rubaco said:

I didn't care for Buzzy when he was a contestant, but I have to say, he's been a kick lately. 

Same here.

• Love 1

That was definitely a theory in search of a proof. He starts from the presumption that she's got the job, and finds things to support it. The difference in introducing Mayim versus Ken means the show wants her--not the widely commented on here belief that Ken asked for the different "hosting" designation. The show illegally prioritizes women contestants over men to attract young women in the audience (for real?!?). Mayim "won" the stupid prime time spot (which she got from Mike Richards anyway) and that tournament was kind of embarrassing on several levels. Just a click bait drivel of opinion with no factual support. Since "real" Jeopardy! fans know it's always called "single Jeopardy!" 

Needless to say, his lack of facts make his conclusions useless in my opinion.

• Love 2

A couple of months ago, I wrote this in the Season 38 thread:

On 1/6/2022 at 6:06 PM, dcalley said:

Someone on twitter discusses every contestant outfit if anyone's interested in that. It's all pretty positive commentary, from what I can tell, or else I would not link to it. ... https://twitter.com/OneEclecticMom

Jeopardy.com recently chatted with her: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/who-wore-it-best-every-jeopardy-contestant-according-twitter-user

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hour long interview with Amy

https://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/archive/video/shes-got-all-answers-jeopardy-champion-amy-schneider

She talks about a lot of things.

One point I found particularly interesting is her reflections on how it feels to watch people on TV who you met in person, and how it's made her aware of how different people might seem from just a tiny slice of who they are being on display. 

She's writing a book, which also sounds interesting. 

• Useful 1

Amy Schneider is featured in the new PEOPLE magazine(March 14 with Lizzo on the cover), it has several articles about women who are changing the world.  There is a very pretty photo of her next to the article where you can see her blue & yellow fingernails.

• Love 1

In this interview Mayim claims she only said "Single Jeopardy!" once:
"Mayim Bialik defends her controversial 'Jeopardy' change: 'It not like Mayim's going rogue!'" (Yahoo! Entertainment, Mon, March 7, 2022)
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mayim-bialik-jeopardy-single-jeopardy-amy-schneider-180034072.html

I know I heard her say "Single Jeopardy!" more than once.
Does anyone have an exact count?
Hey! Maybe that could be a future Jeopardy! clue:

• Jeopardy! host Mayim Bialik actually used the term "Single Jeopardy!" on the air this many times. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hey! Maybe that could be a future Jeopardy! clue:

• Jeopardy! host Mayim Bialik actually used the term "Single Jeopardy!" on the air this many times. 

Yes, but it needs a slight change in wording:

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
  • Former Jeopardy! host Mayim Bialik actually used the term "Single Jeopardy!" on the air this many times. 

There, isn’t that better?

Quote from that interview:

MAYIM BIALIK: I did it once! I did it once. There are, like, if it wasn't right, they would have had me redo it. Meaning, there's nothing I do-- like, I barely act alone. I promise. Like, there's so many things that we retape, we go back. I mean, I flub things. Like, you know, you're seeing an edited version.

So it's funny. When I saw that, I was like, but if it was like literally not kosher, there's like a million producers and writers and researchers. Like they're all listening to me. So I was like, I know it may not be the norm, but when I saw that Alex had referred to it, it was not out of the norm. It is definitely not normative. I will never do it again, even if it's in the script. I will not say it. People care a lot! I get it, and I'm sorry, and I'm doing my best.

Like, defensive much?

• LOL 8
  • Love 3