Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

If anyone wants to know about anything anyone wears or has worn on Jeopardy, you need to check out Lilly on Twitter. Her entire thread is about outfits worn on the show (and she has addressed the Mayim-blazer thing). She keeps track  of who wears what when. She's very entertaining and always positive, it's just fun when she notes Ken wore the same tie last Tuesday that he wore once five months ago. She even comments on clothing worn by contestants, also fun and always positive.

@OneEclecticMom

Thanks, @PBnJay!
I am still coveting Mayim's blouse from last Thursday. 

image.png.6aa8f09907e787d7c0b79a7299248f9b.png

• Love 2

This whole clothing thing is a non-issue, IMO. People notice (and comment on) women’s clothes more often because they are more varied. Colors, patterns, different lengths and cuts, skirts or pants, sweater or blouse, subdued or flashy— there are lots of components in a professional woman’s wardrobe that can be combined in many different ways.

Men, on the other hand, tend to wear a blue or gray suit with a rotating supply of similar shirts. The ties may change, but when has anyone ever had an interesting conversation about ties? There simply isn’t that much of interest in a man’s wardrobe.

The other thing is, wardrobe comments tend to come from women. Generally speaking, women are more fashion-minded than men, and the fashion they are interested in is women’s. They look to what other women are wearing for style ideas, for examples of what not to do, or simply for items to covet.

What I’m saying is, I don’t think anyone is picking on Mayim. Of course her wardrobe gets more notice, but not because she’s being unfairly held to a higher standard than Ken. 

• Love 4

Vulture.com Mattea Roach interview

Interesting interview by The Vulture. She talks about the reaction to her mannerisms and chatter, plus her playing style. I liked this part:

"The reason I didn’t bounce around is I thought it would be too confusing. Especially when there are categories that have specific running themes or sequences. If you’re going back and forth and jumping in and out, it’s difficult to remember what each category is looking for. There are so many different things you have to pay attention to while playing. That was me trying to minimize errors."

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, Fex said:

Vulture.com Mattea Roach interview

Interesting interview by The Vulture. She talks about the reaction to her mannerisms and chatter, plus her playing style. I liked this part:

"The reason I didn’t bounce around is I thought it would be too confusing. Especially when there are categories that have specific running themes or sequences. If you’re going back and forth and jumping in and out, it’s difficult to remember what each category is looking for. There are so many different things you have to pay attention to while playing. That was me trying to minimize errors."

Thanks for the link.  I really like that she said the following :

As someone who taped with both Ken and Mayim, who do you see as the best choice for a permanent host?
"I would say Ken because of his history with the show. As a contestant, there’s something really special about being onstage with the greatest player of all time. Someone who understands in a very visceral way what it’s like to be in your position. Mayim is fantastic, but she doesn’t have that same experience."

• Love 19
(edited)

Lovely interview with Mattea Roach on CBC's The National tonight. (video will start at Mattea's segment)

Edited by argrow
  • Love 5

Wow, what a transformative experience for her, even beyond the financial security:

If I looked like I was having the time of my life while taping my games, it’s because I was — I genuinely did not believe, prior to a few months ago, that I was capable of enjoying myself with such wild abandon. And the realization that such joy is possible for me has changed me forever for the better.

And this brought a happy tear to my eye:

Especially meaningful to me have been the messages and tweets I’ve received from fellow young LGBTQ+ people who have felt a kinship with me throughout my run, and who feel that their families’ acceptance and celebration of my performance on the show has opened the door for them to be accepted and celebrated too.

• Love 20
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Well done, Mattea. So proud of you and your enormous maturity - and your bright light. You are a living demonstration of Marianne Williamson's prose (spoken by Nelson Mandela, and please excuse my Reader's Digest version), "Who are you not to shine?... Your playing small doesn't serve the world... "

Looking forward to the TOC this year! Hoping Matt, Amy and Mattea end up in a threesome (battle of brains). LOL

• Love 7

Mattea has posted an interesting Twitter thread about her final day of taping and the end of her run on Jeopardy.

I also unrolled the Twitter thread here for those who prefer the web page format.

• Love 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Mattea has posted an interesting Twitter thread about her final day of taping and the end of her run on Jeopardy.

I also unrolled the Twitter thread here for those who prefer the web page format.

Thanks for sharing Mattea’s post-Jeopardy! Twitter post, @ProudMary!

A lot of lovely nuggets, including “…23 wins at 23 feels kind of perfect…”

Ooo!   
If the date for the TOC is in November (goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a39652230/jeopardy-host-ken-jennings-2022-tournament-of-champions/), Mattea will be 24 by then.   
Just sayin’!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Thanks for posting. It made me like/appreciate Mattea even more as the very special person she is.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Oh, neat - I've never seen anyone do that before (I don't use Twitter), but it's a lot easier to read.  Thank you.

I thought she was done for in Thursday's game, so I'm not surprised she felt the same, and for the same reasons - Sarah has done really well, she's in the lead heading into FJ, and, oh look, FJ is an instaget and will be for her too (thankfully for Mattea, we were both wrong on that last part).  Interesting to read she was in a food coma at the time.  I suspect her reaction to losing in Friday's game wouldn't have been terribly different had the previous game been one of her typical victories rather than a close call, but I love that having made what turned out to be premature peace with her streak ending meant her initial reaction to losing was pride in what she'd accomplished.

• Love 6

The longer she went on, the more Mattea annoyed me, but I have to say her guess of Churchill & Downs was hilarious, especially now that she's said she didn't think of any other kind of race track beyond horse racing.  Well done, Mattea.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Thanks for posting. It made me like/appreciate Mattea even more as the very special person she is.

I enjoyed reading her thoughts & Mattea comes across as a very charming & interesting young person...It will be fun to see her in TOC

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, neat - I've never seen anyone do that before (I don't use Twitter), but it's a lot easier to read.  Thank you.

You're welcome. I'm glad you mentioned that you read the thread that way. 🙂

• Love 4

Thanks for that @secnarf. It was fascinating to read all the mental gymnastics that went into Danielle's FJ wager, especially her taking the possibility of making the then newly announced Second Chance Tournament into consideration. So many variables!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, dbklmt said:

Here's a good article that was published in Publisher's Weekly today about one of tonight's contestants, Editor-Author Mallory Kass (5/10/2022) with no spoilers as to whether she wins.

Excellent article, plus I love her photo at the top! Good luck to Mallory today.

On 6/1/2022 at 12:44 PM, shapeshifter said:

New Ringer interview by Claire McNear with LeVar Burton, including (of course) a bit more about Jeopardy!:
". . . the fix was always in"

I had been thinking, while I did not like Burton as J! host for several reasons, I had been thinking I would prefer him over the woman who is hosting now. Then I watched both nights of the Spelling Bee and he was ... let's say, not very good. Clumsy and awkward in the interviews, which thank goodness were not a big part of the broadcasts and his involvement was minimal. So thank goodness for that. The two former-Bee-participant hosts were quite good. Burton ... not so much.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, I was enthusiastic about LeVar Burton when the idea was first put out there, and I agree with him that Mike Richards was probably always the intended host, and the "auditions" were largely a sham.  But unfortunately, Burton's actual performance as host was not very successful.  I didn't watch the Spelling Bee, but it sounds like he hasn't improved that much.

Unfortunately, he's probably not really suited to the job.  No disgrace, not everyone is, but I'm sorry to say he's coming off a bit sad when he talks about Jeopardy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One of my first responses to the McNear interview was that Levar's agent really ought to tell hm to respond to questions about Jeopardy in no more than a few sentences before moving on, but I guess that wouldn't really fly given who he was talking to.

I wish he could accept that two things can be true - the fix was certainly in WRT Richards (and he might have done better with more rehearsal and different editing), and his own performance was still not exceptional, especially given the way he's built himself up.

I don't know much about his biography - maybe he's used to "try and try again" until he nails something, whatever it is?  In this case I hope he moves on to something more in his wheelhouse.  I don't think doing a different trivia game show is what he needs right now.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I wish he could accept that two things can be true - the fix was certainly in WRT Richards (and he might have done better with more rehearsal and different editing), and his own performance was still not exceptional, especially given the way he's built himself up.

Absolutely. To me, he’s coming off as very entitled. He really seems to believe that he was the best and most deserving of the job, even though that was clearly not the case. I really wish, for his own sake, that he’d let this drop. Talking about it is not doing him any favors.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

One of my first responses to the McNear interview was that Levar's agent really ought to tell hm to respond to questions about Jeopardy in no more than a few sentences before moving on, but I guess that wouldn't really fly given who he was talking to.

I wish he could accept that two things can be true - the fix was certainly in WRT Richards (and he might have done better with more rehearsal and different editing), and his own performance was still not exceptional, especially given the way he's built himself up

"WRT"?