Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

I'm sure she used it on the College Tournament too–—perhaps even more frequently–—but here are 4 instances of "Single Jeopardy" used on the regular game:

So now she's going to have to do an apology tour for mistakenly saying "I only did it once"?

I'm wondering if someone at Jeopardy! Central (yes, I just made that up) told her she only did it once? Someone on Twitter remarked that she used it at the end of the Jeopardy! round, not at the beginning, so maybe the intern or whoever was in charge of researching her "Single" usage prior to her interview didn't find it and told her she must've only used it "one time"?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm wondering if someone at Jeopardy! Central (yes, I just made that up) told her she only did it once?

I think the likelihood is the reporter said "You said Single Jeopardy on February 4th (or whichever day it was)"  and Mayim assumed that it was the only day.  Because it didn't stand out to her as unusual; she was just reading her script.  If she had consulted with Jeopardy Central her answer would have been more controlled.  If that's what was in her script we should be blaming production and not the host for her saying it.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I honestly don't care that much whether she says "Single Jeopardy" or not, but I find her response to the objections completely annoying.

Seeing Mayim get piled on for all kinds of things makes me want to defend her more than I really want to. I'd rather beat up on her for not telling people how much they can wager in the daily double than this.  Or at least beat up on production for not drilling it into her that she should do it.

• Love 7

I also wondered if all of the instances of her saying it were filmed on the same day - I don't remember all of them well enough at this point, but I thought they were all during the college tournament. I noticed during the regular episodes that were running concurrently, she wasn't using the phrase, and I had wondered at the time when they were filmed relative to each other.

At any rate, I am glad she won't be saying it anymore!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

I also wondered if all of the instances of her saying it were filmed on the same day - I don't remember all of them well enough at this point, but I thought they were all during the college tournament. I noticed during the regular episodes that were running concurrently, she wasn't using the phrase, and I had wondered at the time when they were filmed relative to each other.

Good point. If Mayim only said "Single Jeopardy" on one day–—albeit 4 times–—that might be why she was so insistent that she only did it "once."
I need to go do real life stuff now, but maybe later I'll try to ascertain whether these clips were taped on the same day.

In case the tweet I posted above with the video of Mayim saying "Single Jeopardy" at the end of 4 different Jeopardy! rounds isn't viewable to those who don't use Twitter (?), I downloaded the video and posted it on YouTube:

Edited by shapeshifter
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

I was hoping that Ken would say it and the show would normalize it. It's a logical back-formation to differentiate between the two rounds. But Mayim's argument that it was scripted is undermined since Ken doesn't seem to have ever said it. She also claimed that Alex had said it -- I would love to see that proven but have seen no evidence.

I'd swear that at some point during the whole "Single Jeopardy" kerfuffle, someone on Twitter had shown an old picture of one of Alex's score sheets that he used to keep track of the clues, and it said "Single Jeopardy Round" in great big letters right at the top.

Mayim may not be my favorite person, but I don't really blame her for being a bit prickly about the Single Jeopardy thing.  It's such a silly little thing, and I'm kind of amazed that so many people care about it so much.

• Love 6

Recently there have been clickbait photos with captions about Mayim being accused of something.  I'm not going to click on them.  Are they about this "Single Jeopardy" phrase?

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Mayim may not be my favorite person, but I don't really blame her for being a bit prickly about the Single Jeopardy thing.  It's such a silly little thing, and I'm kind of amazed that so many people care about it so much.

Since at this point I would not be surprised if the next complaint about her is she somehow fails to exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide in the preferred way, I'm not bothered by her reaction to this "Single Jeopardy" business becoming a kerfuffle, either.

• Love 1

If she demonstrated some humility instead of being defensive, it would make her more likable. She could acknowledge that she's the newcomer, and didn't realize it would be such a sore spot, or she could just find some other way to take the backlash with grace and humor. But she comes across as resentful of the people who she's supposed to be serving. It's just a bad look.

And I don't care at all about whether she says "Single Jeopardy" or not. I just think she comes across petulant, immature, and obnoxious in how she's handling the reception. Someone needs to give her some communication training.

I was neutral about her being hired, but I like her less and less over time. It's not a prejudice against her or a "pre-hate" for me. I just think she's not well-suited. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Driad said:

Recently there have been clickbait photos with captions about Mayim being accused of something.  I'm not going to click on them.  Are they about this "Single Jeopardy" phrase?

No. It's something about some performance-enhancing whatever - her CBD gummies, brain pills, something like that. I wasn't interested enough to read the whole thing.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

^^^This. And I'm someone who's hoping she's gone sooner rather than later. 

While it registered with me as unusual when Mayim called it Single Jeopardy, it didn't really bother me. It seems to me that Alex used to refer to it, if necessary, as "the Jeopardy round" just to differentiate from the show's title. It was a small error in the overall scheme of things. The fact that staff didn't correct her right away, would seem to speak volumes. (That's just my opinion. )

• Love 1
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

If she demonstrated some humility instead of being defensive, it would make her more likable. She could acknowledge that she's the newcomer, and didn't realize it would be such a sore spot, or she could just find some other way to take the backlash with grace and humor. But she comes across as resentful of the people who she's supposed to be serving. It's just a bad look.

And I don't care at all about whether she says "Single Jeopardy" or not. I just think she comes across petulant, immature, and obnoxious in how she's handling the reception. Someone needs to give her some communication training.

I was neutral about her being hired, but I like her less and less over time. It's not a prejudice against her or a "pre-hate" for me. I just think she's not well-suited. 

Well said. A little humility goes a long way. 

• Love 2

The winner of Friday's game is blogging about his J! experience (getting the call, preparing, rehearsing, taping - everything up through the result of Friday's game so far).  It's interesting to read how tired they all were by the time they taped this game.  Also interesting to read how it was to see, in person, the reveal of Margaret's weird FJ wager that ended her run (not to mention learning Ken badgered her about it after the game).

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 3/12/2022 at 4:22 PM, Bastet said:

The winner of Friday's game is blogging about his J! experience (getting the call, preparing, rehearsing, taping - everything up through the result of Friday's game so far).  It's interesting to read how tired they all were by the time they taped this game.  Also interesting to read how it was to see, in person, the reveal of Margaret's weird FJ wager that ended her run (not to mention learning Ken badgered her about it after the game).

Thanks for posting! I have read other contestants’ accounts before, but it’s always interesting to get a new perspective. And it makes me that much more invested in seeing how Matt does on Monday.

I wonder why the returning champ gets to participate in rehearsals. She doesn’t need it and it just gives her extra practice, which may mean an ever greater advantage. But on the other hand, the newbies get to see who they’re dealing with.

If the green room for J! is the Wheel of Fortune stage, does that mean WOF contestants hang out on the Jeopardy stage on their taping days? 

• Useful 1

Some news in our periphery: The Chase is back May 3.  Ken and Mark Labbett are out.  Buzzy, Victoria Groce, and Brandon Blackwell are in.  Brad and James are returning, so there will be 5 chasers.  No mention of the length of the season, but I think 5 is too many for fewer than at least 20 episodes (which means they'll probably do 10!).  I wondered whether all concerned parties would want Ken to stay in that role if he continues to host Jeopardy! so maybe it's not a bad sign that he's stepped down on Chase.  Victoria and Brandon are not known to me but are apparently big names in the quizzing world.  She was a one-time Jeopardy! champion and he was a teen tournament semifinalist.  I think they could have done so much more with the superchamp gimmick while it was applicable, but probably not without paying Sony a pretty penny, and there it goes.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:39 AM, Driad said:

I hadn't seen any of this, but someone made an accusatory post about it on Reddit the other day, and I looked into it.  Those headlines link to a Fox News story which describes the restorative powers of Mayim's line of CBD gummies.  The trouble is that Martha MacCallum is suing in an attempt to get Mayim off the air, so Tucker Carlson is defending her against this latest manifestation of "cancel culture", and to allow those suffering with dementia to be made aware of these curative gummies as an alternative to "Big Pharma."

As you have probably guessed, it's all bunk.  The photos are doctored, the quotations are made-up, and the supposed Fox News story is hosted at [random characters].com.  We've covered the Neuriva supplements, but Mayim hasn't endorsed any CBD products.  As far as I can tell, her name is being used totally without her permission.  I think she's a terrible game show host and I don't much care for her otherwise, but I was happy to defend her on this point, because nobody deserves to have their identity misused, and the Reddit poster who clicked the link and actually read this ridiculous article really should have known better than to take it as fact.  Based on the tortured English used, I assume the company is offshore. Otherwise, Mayim may choose to pursue them legally, and I couldn’t blame her if she did.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:
On 3/11/2022 at 10:39 AM, Driad said:

I hadn't seen any of this, but someone made an accusatory post about it on Reddit the other day, and I looked into it.  Those headlines link to a Fox News story which describes the restorative powers of Mayim's line of CBD gummies.  The trouble is that Martha MacCallum is suing in an attempt to get Mayim off the air, so Tucker Carlson is defending her against this latest manifestation of "cancel culture", and to allow those suffering with dementia to be made aware of these curative gummies as an alternative to "Big Pharma."

As you have probably guessed, it's all bunk.  The photos are doctored, the quotations are made-up, and the supposed Fox News story is hosted at [random characters].com.  We've covered the Neuriva supplements, but Mayim hasn't endorsed any CBD products.  I think she's a terrible game show host and I don't much care for her otherwise, but I was happy to defend her on this point, because the Reddit poster who clicked the link and actually read this ridiculous article really should have known better than to take it as fact.

And, because I'm old enough to have surfed the World Wide Web before there was Google, I still go to Snopes to verify: 
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mayim-bialik-cbd-allegations/
And Snopes also debunked the similar accusations against Alex and others:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cbd-oil-alex-trebek/

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And, because I'm old enough to have surfed the World Wide Web before there was Google, I still go to Snopes to verify: 
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mayim-bialik-cbd-allegations/
And Snopes also debunked the similar accusations against Alex and others:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cbd-oil-alex-trebek/

Good ole Snopes!  This is dated yesterday, but it must have been put up after my little research.  How thoughtless of them. ;)  The name of the supposed CBD company on the link I fact-checked is not one of the five listed in this article.  Some of this online stuff really is hydra-like. 

I will say that it makes me like Mayim even a bit less than I did before, which is quite an achievement, to realize that these scammers thought she was the right kind of person to use to appeal to those who want to read Fox News stories about cancel culture.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Some news in our periphery: The Chase is back May 3.  Ken and Mark Labbett are out.  Buzzy, Victoria Groce, and Brandon Blackwell are in.  Brad and James are returning, so there will be 5 chasers.  No mention of the length of the season, but I think 5 is too many for fewer than at least 20 episodes (which means they'll probably do 10!).  I wondered whether all concerned parties would want Ken to stay in that role if he continues to host Jeopardy! so maybe it's not a bad sign that he's stepped down on Chase.

I certainly hope this is a good sign for Ken’s J! future. The Chase lounge was a good outlet for his snark, though, so I’ll be sad if he ends up gone from both places.

I have no memory of Victoria or Brandon. I wonder if they considered Amy, or even Matt. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I wonder if they considered Amy, or even Matt. 

I think I have read that contestants are contractually restricted from certain other media appearances until a year after their last games.  They may not be eligible to do something like The Chase or a GSN show until November of next year, given the ToC.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, 853fisher said:

I think I have read that contestants are contractually restricted from certain other media appearances until a year after their last games.  They may not be eligible to do something like The Chase or a GSN show until November of next year, given the ToC.

When I was on the show in 1997, we were told we could never be on Jeopardy again nor another game show for something like 10 years or something like that. It’s been a while (and didn’t include when you might make the TofC.)

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, HelenBaby said:

When I was on the show in 1997, we were told we could never be on Jeopardy again nor another game show for something like 10 years or something like that. It’s been a while (and didn’t include when you might make the TofC.)

Did that include producing or hosting as well as appearing as a contestant?  James is certainly not outside the 10 year line.

Earlier this week Amy (not Schneider) mentioned to Ken that it had been her childhood ambition to be a member of the Jeopardy Clue Crew, and he made a comment about how that was still a possibility (whereas becoming a contestant after working on the clue crew would not have been allowed).  I don't recall that they discussed timelines though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Did that include producing or hosting as well as appearing as a contestant?  James is certainly not outside the 10 year line.

Earlier this week Amy (not Schneider) mentioned to Ken that it had been her childhood ambition to be a member of the Jeopardy Clue Crew, and he made a comment about how that was still a possibility (whereas becoming a contestant after working on the clue crew would not have been allowed).  I don't recall that they discussed timelines though. 

Well, like I said it’s been 25 years since I was on the show so lots of changes. And there weren’t as many quiz shows as there have been since. There was one show on Game Show Network where the host stayed in the shadows. There were 3 contestants and three rounds where they would be eliminated after the first & second round with one person at the end doing some kind of timed quick quiz for a specified prize (it’s been a while—I’m thinking the host was called the Inquisitor or something like that.) Anywho the point of that story is that I saw a multi day champion as a contestant on there once. It had to be after I was on Jeopardy because I remembered the guy from being on Jeopardy and how was he able to be on the second show when it probably had been less than 10 years since he’d been on Jeopardy. 

• Useful 1

I think they should dump Ken and Amy as hosts and bring in Billy Crystal instead.  Not only would he look mahvelous but he could do the accents like Alex used to do! From what I've seen he's not been too busy lately either. 

5 hours ago, HelenBaby said:

There was one show on Game Show Network where the host stayed in the shadows. There were 3 contestants and three rounds where they would be eliminated after the first & second round with one person at the end doing some kind of timed quick quiz for a specified prize (it’s been a while—I’m thinking the host was called the Inquisitor or something like that.)

This was not a show I had heard of but some searching based on your details turned up Inquizition. The nastiness of the Inquizitor sounds a bit like The Chase or The Weakest Link. 

21 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not sure how much I trust an article that repeatedly mentions Mayim "Balik."

Not exactly the most well known source for entertainment news the last time I looked. The Sidney Herald? Damn that's stretching believeability a bit.

I don’t even understand that article. “Their first mistake was to can Richards”? Ken is “boring and stodgy”? People are so invested in their preferred host that choosing the wrong one will cause ratings to “plunge much like the Hindenburg plummeting to Earth in a ball of fire”?

I think that whole article evolved from the writer’s desire to make a good “double jeopardy” pun. (PS, he failed.)

• Love 6
On 3/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, Prevailing Wind said:
On 3/11/2022 at 10:39 AM, Driad said:

No. It's something about some performance-enhancing whatever - her CBD gummies, brain pills, something like that. I wasn't interested enough to read the whole thing.

Several Mayim CBD ads popped up in my FaceBook feed, almost faster than I could report them as "Misleading or Scam."
I've reported stuff before to Facebook and received a response saying that the item did not violate their policies, so I could block it, but they weren't removing it.
But for the fake Mayim CBD ads, Facebook sent me a reply saying the ads were removed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

58 years ago today. Nice story; entertaining piece. 

Meet the First-Ever Jeopardy! Champion and Listen to the Audio from the Premiere in 1964.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/contestants/meet-first-jeopardy-champion

On March 30, 1964, Jeopardy! made its television debut on NBC and crowned a witty 26-year-old homemaker with Southern charm as its first-ever champion. 

Mary Cabell Eubanks won the first official game and unknowingly cemented a spot forever in American pop culture history.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

The unaired Jeopardy pilot. Loved how literal they had to make their questions. 

I "coulda been a contender" back in that day! LOL 
I mean, really? FJ of "he prowled through the Transylvanian night" was a TS for Dracula?

To be fair, I guess the guy in the middle couldn't see the clue well enough to read it and thought he heard "Pennsylvania" since his response was "What did William Penn do?" 
Based on current players squinting and one on Twitter wishing she'd worn her glasses because the font is so small and far away, I guess not much has changed?

I can't quite tell if the bit about the artist's hobby being plumbing was scripted or not.
It's then followed by the "housewife" working harder for less money than when she was working, so I think they were being progressive for 1964? Or maybe poking fun at being progressive? But the contestants seemed pretty sincere. 
But oof, that dig by Art Flemming at the male contestant for knowing "Peeping Tom."

But really, like the board game Scrabble, Jeopardy! has changed very little.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But really, like the board game Scrabble, Jeopardy! has changed very little.

I am glad for some of the changes -- like having to wait until the clue is read before ringing in.

I guess some things don't change, though, like the contestants starting in the middles of the categories.

• Love 1

A new article from Entertainment Weekly, in which Mayim makes hay of what is presented as "all day people are freaking out on Twitter and Instagram" with "obsessive commenting" about her having worn the same pieces more than once on Jeopardy!

Now I've read a lot of criticism of Mayim, most of it deserved, but I can't remember a single comment about her wearing clothes multiple times, can anyone else?  This semes to me like a savvy PR move, furthering the narrative she has put forward in the past that criticism of her performance is based in misogyny or other -isms.

There's no question women are judged more harshly for what they wear than men in the same positions.  However, I really think Mayim is being disingenuous by invoking this issue,  The actual discussion was casual, but this was obviously something she'd brought up with Drew and wanted covered.

While I'm here, Drew's response, "I like when people repeat something, because that's normal life," seems silly to me.  Hosting a TV show is not "normal life" and nobody should be under any misapprehension that Hollywood celebrities are "just like you and me" because they wear a blazer more than once.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

I haven't noticed whether she's worn anything more than once, or if anyone else has noticed. In theory it's possible that conversation is happening elsewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Men wear the same suits over and over again, so if it IS happening that she repeated an outfit and people are freaking out about it, I think it's definitely a BS double standard.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I haven't noticed whether she's worn anything more than once, or if anyone else has noticed. In theory it's possible that conversation is happening elsewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Men wear the same suits over and over again, so if it IS happening that she repeated an outfit and people are freaking out about it, I think it's definitely a BS double standard.

You might be onto something with how BS it is to criticize a woman for wearing the same outfit twice in comparison to men wearing the same suits. 
I had been thinking Mayim must have a PR person who pretty much made up an issue that doesn't exist. But until I read your post above, I was also imagining the PR person must secretly hate Mayim (which might be an interesting TV episode, haha).
But now I'm thinking either Mayim or her PR person (if she actually has a PR person) didn't exactly "make up a story out of whole cloth"
   —–sorry, after today's game, I couldn't resist the METAPHOR, hee–— 
but that Mayim's mom (mentioned in the article) and maybe one other person noted that Mayim wore the same thing twice and the decision was made to use this example in the interview with Drew Barrymore, so Barrymore could follow with:

The good news, Barrymore told her, is that no one is taking Bialik to clothing court over the repeated fashion instance. "There's no attitude, no negativity, there's nothing slanderous or upsetting about it," the host reiterated to Bialik. "Just an absolutely observant obsessive commenting about how you repeated a jacket."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Like that male newscaster in Australia who wore the same suit for a year to prove that, unlike all the daily frothing commentary about what his female co-workers wore on the air, no one would even notice.  And they didn't:

No one has noticed; no one gives a shit. But women, they wear the wrong colour and they get pulled up. They say the wrong thing and there's thousands of tweets written about them. Women are judged much more harshly and keenly for what they do, what they say and what they wear.

I've worn the same suit on air for a year –- except for a couple of times because of circumstance –- to make a point. I'm judged on my interviews, my appalling sense of humour – on how I do my job, basically. Whereas women are quite often judged on what they're wearing or how their hair is ... that's [what I wanted to test].

Of course, The Daily Mail didn't learn a damn thing (shocking for tabloid scum, I know) -- a few years later, they felt the need to run a bit about his female co-host because she had worn the same blouse twice (four months apart).  In a terrific response, all her coworkers - male and female - wore that same blouse.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

If anyone wants to know about anything anyone wears or has worn on Jeopardy, you need to check out Lilly on Twitter. Her entire thread is about outfits worn on the show (and she has addressed the Mayim-blazer thing). She keeps track of who wears what when. She's very entertaining and always positive, it's just fun when she notes Ken wore the same tie last Tuesday that he wore once five months ago. She even comments on clothing worn by contestants, also fun and always positive.

@OneEclecticMom

Edited by PBnJay
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2