Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Aren't we getting this tournament because they didn't have enough eligible contestants for the ToC so came up with this way to put more people in?

I was referring to this feeder tournament, but yeah. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Aren't we getting this tournament because they didn't have enough eligible contestants for the ToC so came up with this way to put more people in?

Yes, but I wonder if the producers etc. are noticing the regular clearing of the boards, the camaraderie of the contestants, the contestants relative ease in the situation, etc., and if they are wondering how to bottle this phenomenon. 

It seems like a formula similar to competitions such as American Idol, The Voice, and other successful competitive shows that weed out the less skilled contestants over a season to arrive at a winner/champion from among a few who have grown close on camera in front of the audience. 

Jeopardy! already does this to some degree with the regular show followed by the TOC. But the regular show is burdened with a lot of players who don't do well in the actual show for a variety of reasons. Also, we get glimpses of bonds between players, but the standard Jeopardy! format doesn't really foster those relationships on camera where they could be an audience draw.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but I wonder if the producers etc. are noticing the regular clearing of the boards, the camaraderie of the contestants, the contestants relative ease in the situation, etc., and if they are wondering how to bottle this phenomenon. 

It doesn’t totally answer your questions but if you’re not already, you might want to listen to the Inside Jeopardy! podcast. I won’t try to find a link but basically it’s “ wherever you get your podcasts”. They get into a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, including brief interviews with players.  I find it worth 30 or so minutes of my time a week. 

• Useful 4
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was just reading an article on Snopes. At the bottom of the article was this:

"By Jack Izzo

Jack Izzo is a Chicago-based journalist and two-time "Jeopardy!" alumnus."

😊

I looked him up on the archive, and he was one of the Teen Tournament kids brought back for that silly High School Reunion tournament last year.  (I don't remember him, even with a picture, and that was only a year ago.  Sigh.)

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was just reading an article on Snopes. At the bottom of the article was this:
"By Jack Izzo
Jack Izzo is a Chicago-based journalist and two-time "Jeopardy!" alumnus."

😊

Cool. Being a Jeopardy! champion (or player) would be great to put on your résumé for a Snopes writing gig.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I looked him up on the archive, and he was one of the Teen Tournament kids brought back for that silly High School Reunion tournament last year.  (I don't remember him, even with a picture, and that was only a year ago.  Sigh.)

At that age, he may have changed his look.
Well, at any age, but more common when someone is solidifying the identity/persona that they want to project, which is kind of the norm when young.

Anyway, with so many former Jeopardy! players since April(?), I'm averaging 1-2 of the 3 that at least look vaguely familiar. 

I do appreciate that they all seem to be reasonably comfortable on the stage.

• Like 2
On 1/22/2024 at 9:33 PM, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, with so many former Jeopardy! players since April(?), I'm averaging 1-2 of the 3 that at least look vaguely familiar. 

Your face recall is much better than mine! I’ve recognized maybe 4-5 people total. Most people have to stick around for several days to make an impression. That’s partly why I haven’t really been able to get into this tournament.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Your face recall is much better than mine! I’ve recognized maybe 4-5 people total. Most people have to stick around for several days to make an impression. That’s partly why I haven’t really been able to get into this tournament.

Sometimes the name helps. I definitely remembered Sharon Stone.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Your face recall is much better than mine!

Life long portrait artist👩🏻‍🎨

45 minutes ago, opus said:

Sometimes the name helps. I definitely remembered Sharon Stone.

Hah! I'm terrible with names unless I hear them repeatedly, but if I'd caught that one I *might* have recalled it.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Jeopardy Masters was renewed, but no word on who the next crop of "masters" will be (or when it will air). https://tvline.com/news/jeopardy-masters-renewed-abc-spring-2024-1235166170/

If regular Jeopardy! ever does a category of JEOPARDY SHOWS with clues for Jeopardy! Masters, TOC, Jeopardy! National College Championship, etc., it would not be surprising if most of them are Triple Stumpers.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 2

Ike Barinholtz to become first Celebrity Jeopardy winner to compete in Tournament of Champions

>>>Ike Barinholtz is making Jeopardy history. 

The Mindy Project actor is set to become the first-ever Celebrity Jeopardy winner to go head-to-head against some of the game show’s greatest minds in this year’s Tournament of Champions, Sony announced in a press release on Tuesday. He will compete against fellow contestants Melissa Klapper and Ray Lalonde in the seventh quarterfinals match on March 4. <<<

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Interview with Ken where he talks about fan reaction to Mayim. Also, bad news for anyone expecting a return to regular play after ToC. Instead, we’re getting— wait for it!— another tournament.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2024/02/23/ken-jennings-talks-tournament-of-champions-return-mayim-bialik/72571591007/

Another story about tournaments and why’s taking so long to get back to regular play:

https://slate.com/culture/2024/02/jeopardy-final-game-tournament-champions.html

3 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Also, bad news for anyone expecting a return to regular play after ToC. Instead, we’re getting— wait for it!— another tournament.

Good gods.  I'm not experiencing tournament fatigue, as the games are pretty much all the same to me for how I watch (I'm here to see how I do with the clues, so once they got past episodes produced during the strike, I resumed my normal routine and barely notice we're repeating contestants), but I understand those who feel fed up with not returning to regular episodes until "early spring", as it is quite a lot (and unprecedented)

As for this latest tournament:

For the first time this year we're going to do a “Jeopardy!” invitational tournament where we bring back some favorite contestants from the past years, in some cases the past decades. And one winner of that competition will advance to “Jeopardy! Masters.”

If they do too many of these "all-star" tournaments, they're going to dilute the grandness of them in a hurry.

Kudos to Ken for this exchange, especially that individual people may not think gender played a role in their reaction, or degree of reaction, to Mayim, but it clearly was at play overall, because for some it did, and for more than think it did.  We're unfortunately not going to get anywhere until more men (and women, but especially men) acknowledge that simple truth.

During the panel, Davies also talked about diversifying hosts of potential tournaments, saying, "I don’t think a straight, white man is the only person to host 'Jeopardy!' and as we expand, we will fail if it is seen that is the only person to host 'Jeopardy!' " What are your thoughts?

Agree 100%. I love that I get to host “Jeopardy!” and it's my dream job, but we have seen straight, middle-aged white guys host “Jeopardy!” for decades. It's kind of been done, and I do feel like some of the criticism that Mayim got was clearly misogynistic. It was people who were not there to see a woman host “Jeopardy!” and whether they understood that about their soul or not, they were not ready to accept a woman in that position of authority.

And one thing I love about Michael talking about broadening the franchise – different kinds of “Jeopardy!,” different levels of “Jeopardy!” for different outlets – is that I think you will see a bunch of different hosts, and it will look more like America.

I'm good with one host for the regular syndicated version and fine with that being Ken (just as I would have been fine with it being Mayim, or someone else who isn't Mike Richards), but I would definitely like to see some variety in hosts to go along with the variety in prime time special tournaments they're planning.

• Like 2

If they do too many of these "all-star" tournaments, they're going to dilute the grandness of them in a hurry.

Exactly. If they don’t want to keep inviting the same people, they will have to expand the definition of what makes an all-star. Just like they’ve expanded suitability for ToC. Maybe Oprah should start hosting these tournaments. “You get a championship! You get a championship! Everyone gets a championship!”

I'm good with one host for the regular syndicated version and fine with that being Ken (just as I would have been fine with it being Mayim, or someone else who isn't Mike Richards), but I would definitely like to see some variety in hosts to go along with the variety in prime time special tournaments they're planning.

Same here. I’d like to see Mayim do the celebrity stuff, because she was very good at that. I’d prefer it if Ken kept any primetime ToC/ Masters games because of continuity from daytime. But it sounds like there will be other primetime spin-offs and I would welcome more diversity there. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

It would seem that they're really not allowing Buzzy to play. 😢 (We've had the Jeopardy! adjacent discussion here before.) I'm very disappointed. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CBS Sunday Morning had a segment with Ken Jennings this morning (3/17/24).  He told the interviewer about how he came to love the show, and his preparation for his first appearance on the show. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Thanks for the heads up @laredhead. Here's the clip of the segment.

Thank you for this! I was just going to go look for it when I scrolled down and there it was!

And thanks to @laredhead for letting us know about it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4

I like what he said about it being half an hour out of each day when this country agrees facts do matter, and we adjudicate things based on science and history.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I just hope this invitational tournament is the last for a long time. I'm tired of the tournament. I'm tired of Michael Davies and his quest to turn J! into a sporting event. This is a show about regular people who, by dint of a few quirks, can with their mind alone gain a measure of success and notoriety outside of things society deems valuable (or at least what contemporary society does). Some even have their lives become defined by it (long running champs and the like). We need the fresh blood. Yes I love the camaraderie that develops in tournaments, especially the last few ToCs, but those are so special bc tournaments should be rare.

ToC, Teachers, College, High School... fantastic, but that's it. No more second chance or wildcard. Let's get back to JEOPARDY!!!!! ❤️ 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

This is a show about regular people who, by dint of a few quirks, can with their mind alone gain a measure of success and notoriety outside of things society deems valuable (or at least what contemporary society does). Some even have their lives become defined by it (long running champs and the like).

Well put.

9 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

Yes I love the camaraderie that develops in tournaments, especially the last few ToCs, but those are so special bc tournaments should be rare.

But it doesn't make sense to me that the camaraderie among the contestants is directly proportional to the rarity of contestants playing against each other repeatedly. 

It's kind of ironic that the Second Chance Tournaments were birthed because there weren't enough 4 and 5-time winners for the regular TOC. 

I don't know whether or not:

22 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

Michael Davies and his quest to turn J! into a sporting event.

but I do think the more esoteric clues of the tournaments can be discouraging to viewers.

• Like 1
On 3/14/2024 at 9:34 AM, illdoc said:

The field of contestants who will be trying to get into the next J! Masters (ie those competing in the tournament immediately following the end of the TOC) was just announced. https://thejeopardyfan.com/2024/03/2024-jeopardy-invitational-tournament-field-announced.html  

I love this field, but I wish that Bob Verini was one of them. I was too young to see his original run, but in subsequent events I grew to love him. He's the best.

• Like 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mario500 said:

Interesting. Twice in the interview piece he is quoted as saying that he "always thought Ken was the guy."

This line is at least an attempt to convey that he's accepted what happened:
"There was widespread belief that whoever got the job first wouldn't make it."

He also says a certain someone "…was so lovely to everyone on staff."  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

If he was aware enough to be worried that the host choice was going to be scrutinized as closely as a presidential election then he really should have had the foresight to disclose his old podcast stuff.  Or maybe he assumed he could ride it out and survive - if you can get past the initial burst of outrage then it'll usually be OK. I think if that was it he would have survived, but the addition of the Price is Right stuff (and the perception he rigged the process in his own favor) doomed him.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

There must be some reason he is talking about this now.

In the article he kind of states that the time is ripe to refresh his image, I guess because enough time has passed:

…As for why he's speaking out about it now, two years after it happened, he says he's come to terms with being canceled — and is hoping for more open discourse moving forward.…

And "why now" is also towards furthering his career:

…For now, he's working on packaging and selling more shows, and says more than one person has told him he should write a book about what really goes on behind the scenes at game shows since he has the stories.

"If I wrote a book, it would be as a fan," he explains of getting the chance to work with people like Dick Clark, Bob Barker, Monty Hall, Pat Sajak and of course, Trebek. "Unless it's about those people? I'm not interested."

Of course, he's also still pitching game show concepts, but as for getting behind the podium again? He's not gunning for it.

"If I pitched a show and someone asked, 'Would you be you hosting it?' I say, only if you think I'm the right man for the job. I don't care if you have someone else in mind," he says.

https://people.com/jeopardy-producer-mike-richards-opens-up-being-fired-after-1-day-exclusive-8611125

• Like 1
(edited)

“The Best Of Both Worlds”: Regular Play & Tournament Play To Combine on Jeopardy!

In an April 1 announcement exclusive to The Jeopardy! Fan, it has been announced that regular play and tournament play will be combined.

In what is being billed as “the best of both worlds,” regular play and tournament play will be combined on Jeopardy!

18 new players will be a part of each 2.5-day taping cohort; all 18 players will play over 6 episodes to begin. From there, a “double elimination” bracket will take place, with 2 players advancing out of each block of 16 episodes to a season-ending Tournament of Champions, alongside a Celebrity winner (For the 2025 Tournament, this would be Lisa Ann Walter.) In calendar year 2024, this will mean that we see 10 16-episode tournament blocks, giving us the planned 160-episode regular play calendar.

More at the TJF link above.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

be sure to read the comments.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't click on the article originally, just laughed at the joke and moved on, but now I've also laughed at one of the comments, about adding an option for contestants to tap out and switch places with a Wheel of Fortune contestant in the name of cross promotion. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I have to admit, The Jeopardy Fan got me for a minute with this. I was going to make a "pay attention to the date" comment when I posted the link, but I thought you all deserved the laugh, by figuring it out on your own. 😉

• Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

That sounds like an April Fool's joke to me, especially when the announcement is dated April 1.

It's stupid and completely unfunny, so definitely an April Fools joke.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Scott said:

It's stupid and completely unfunny, so definitely an April Fools joke.

What rock have you been living under - stupid and unfunny is EXACTLY how these endless tournaments have been.  ;-)

• Like 1