Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet. Season 4 of CNN's Who's Talking To Chris Wallace, which streams exclusively on Max, is now in its fourth season. The fourth episode of the latest season dropped on October 20th and features Wallace's interview with Ken Jennings. It's 26 minutes in length. If you have access to Max, its an enjoyable watch.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I'm not quite sure if this is Small Talk or Media, but books are media, right?  So...

I just finished Amy Schneider's memoir "In the Form of a Question".  Enjoyable and enlightening, she obviously has a great sense of humor, and by the end I came to appreciate her for what she is - a person who can't freakin' stop with the freakin' footnotes!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 8
On 12/5/2023 at 9:22 AM, illdoc said:

News about TOC: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/12/27-players-in-upcoming-tournament-of-champions.html

Apparently there will be 27 champions, taping early Feb & airing later that month. It will follow 4 weeks of 36 Second Chancers (Dec 19 - Jan 15) and 2 Champion Wildcards (Jan 16- Feb 22). Of course, this is not confirmed, just "likely".

Am I reading this right? Lukas Partridge won't be back at least until March?

On 12/5/2023 at 9:22 AM, illdoc said:

News about TOC: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/12/27-players-in-upcoming-tournament-of-champions.html

Apparently there will be 27 champions, taping early Feb & airing later that month. It will follow 4 weeks of 36 Second Chancers (Dec 19 - Jan 15) and 2 Champion Wildcards (Jan 16- Feb 22). Of course, this is not confirmed, just "likely".

Maybe someday, the show will get back to just being a regular show and not a 24/7 tournament festival. Yes, I understand the strike but this is utterly insane. Davies loves that he's made this like the World Championship of Poker but with Jeopardy instead. I find it impossible to watch now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Maybe someday, the show will get back to just being a regular show and not a 24/7 tournament festival. Yes, I understand the strike but this is utterly insane. Davies loves that he's made this like the World Championship of Poker but with Jeopardy instead. I find it impossible to watch now.

Maybe I’m just not paying enough attention, but if it weren’t for the info the show gives us, I wouldn’t really be aware of the difference between “regular” and “tournament festival”. Maybe fewer TSs? So I know everyone’s MMV but I have no issue with watching now. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe I’m just not paying enough attention, but if it weren’t for the info the show gives us, I wouldn’t really be aware of the difference between “regular” and “tournament festival”. Maybe fewer TSs? So I know everyone’s MMV but I have no issue with watching now. 

I've been enjoying the "tournament festival" more than the "regular."
To me, it's a little like seeing a Broadway in Chicago show versus a local community theater production in Sacramento. 
That is, less cringing on behalf of the contestants.
But, yeah, YMMV.

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

that asshole Yogesh refused his spot since Jeopardy isn't a real challenges.

I thought, however undiplomatic he was about it, Yogesh was quite clear about the fact that he isn't above trying to win money on Jeopardy -- he just wants us to know that when he doesn't have as long a streak as Ken or win as much money as James, it's because the skills you need for Jeopardy (buzzer, wagering, wordplay) are not pure trivia quizzing which is where he excels. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought, however undiplomatic he was about it, Yogesh was quite clear about the fact that he isn't above trying to win money on Jeopardy -- he just wants us to know that when he doesn't have as long a streak as Ken or win as much money as James, it's because the skills you need for Jeopardy (buzzer, wagering, wordplay) are not pure trivia quizzing which is where he excels. 

Undiplomatic?  That's not the word for it.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

That article linked by @proserpina65 makes no sense. They can make up any excuse for a tournament they want (Two-time winners named Tom! Contestants with unusual hair colors!), and while some may get an eyeroll from me, I’ll go with it. But leave the TOC alone. That’s supposed to be an elite opportunity, reserved for the best of the best, where a win is something truly remarkable. It’s not intended for people who are merely above average, or who charmed the audience enough to come back. It’s certainly not intended for the likes of Yogesh. (Although I suspect that invite was solely for the purpose of generating controversy, i.e. attention.)

On 12/11/2023 at 5:39 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

he just wants us to know that when he doesn't have as long a streak as Ken or win as much money as James, it's because the skills you need for Jeopardy (buzzer, wagering, wordplay) are not pure trivia quizzing which is where he excels. 

In other words, he doesn’t have the skills for Jeopardy. The show he chose to compete on. And then disparage because he wanted it to require different skills.

Go design your own show, Yogesh. Leave Jeopardy alone. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

After watching both of them, I did end up thinking Ken settled in and was the best fit, but I don’t hate Mayim. I hope she ends up with a fair deal from Sony. 

I hope Mayim would be willing to fill in for Ken on occasion if he has reasons he cannot be there. 
I think she'd be good enough doing Celebrity Jeopardy! if that's something she would like to do and if Ken would appreciate her taking it over. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I hope Mayim would be willing to fill in for Ken on occasion if he has reasons he cannot be there. 
I think she'd be good enough doing Celebrity Jeopardy! if that's something she would like to do and if Ken would appreciate her taking it over. 

Oh I would love to see her as the Joan Rivers to his Johnny Carson! But without the ugly stuff at the end. 

• Like 1

I don't care which one of them hosts, so him doing the syndicated show and her doing the prime-time specials works for me as well as anything else, but I did get a sick kick out of how much she bugged some people (it was either that or get annoyed by the repetitive hyperbole, so I opted for schadenfreude), and I'm going to miss that.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

She was never my favorite but I did think she did well with Celebrity Jeopardy. The more relaxed game fits her style better, I suppose.

• Like 8

It'll be interesting to see if she wants to continue with the show doing prime time/Celebrity Jeopardy shows after she chose to let everyone know Sony chose to move on for the syndicated shows. 

Otherwise, I think Sony/Jeopardy! might have changed the announcement to make it seem like they mutually decided to revert back to the original arrangement where she was slated for the prime time stuff and Mike Richards, now Ken Jennings, was slated for the syndicated shows. 

• Like 2

I am happy to learn that Ken is the sole host. He is by far the better option, IMO, and the switching back and forth was too disruptive to game flow.

But if this decision had anything to do with Mayim’s decision to support the writers’ strike rather than fall in line as a corporate drone, then I am not at all happy. She should not be punished for standing up for her principles.

I would like to see Ken host all primetime events that feature “regular” contestants (like the TOC) for the sake of continuity, and have Mayim continue to host Celebrity Jeopardy-style spin-offs.. She does a great job at that, and deserves the chance to continue with it if she chooses.

• Like 10
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I am happy to learn that Ken is the sole host. He is by far the better option, IMO, and the switching back and forth was too disruptive to game flow.

But if this decision had anything to do with Mayim’s decision to support the writers’ strike rather than fall in line as a corporate drone, then I am not at all happy. She should not be punished for standing up for her principles.

I would like to see Ken host all primetime events that feature “regular” contestants (like the TOC) for the sake of continuity, and have Mayim continue to host Celebrity Jeopardy-style spin-offs.. She does a great job at that, and deserves the chance to continue with it if she chooses.

Ditto to all of the above, except maybe TPTB just decided not to have any member of SAG-AFTRA host because, although Jeopardy! is excluded from their strikes, a host who is a member of the SAG-AFTRA union might decide again in the future to not host during their strikes?

I keep wondering if Mayim watched the show during the strikes — perhaps to sharpen her hosting skills — and came away from watching with a sense that Ken was the natural host that she would never quite be.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3

I think it was always Sony’s plan to eventually have a single host for the syndicated version. They just went with the two-host plan for a while because they botched the process to select Alex’s immediate successor so badly, and they didn’t want to further alienate anyone by choosing Ken over Mayim (or vice versa) back then.

But it’s disruptive to have two different hosts for the daily show. And from a budgetary standpoint, there’s no reason for it.

I’ll give Ken credit: he’s improved quite a bit since his early episodes and has settled in. I still wish they had gone with a true broadcaster as the host as opposed to a former contestant. But Sony doesn’t really care what I think.

• Like 7

Don't miss the "fine print" : Hours after Bialik shared the news, Sony released the following statement: “We made the decision to have one host for the syndicated show next season

NEXT SEASON. In other words, we are still stuck with her for the remainder of THIS season. At least, that's how I read it.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She was never my favorite but I did think she did well with Celebrity Jeopardy. The more relaxed game fits her style better, I suppose.

I agree - also, on that show she's working with "her peeps" as it were, so I'd guess she's much more comfortable with them.

1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Yeah, I thought that was odd wording. Still, I’ll be surprised if she shows up again on the syndicated version. She may have a contract for this season but perhaps they’ll rework it and apply it to the ABC specials.

The wording was in some ways a little vague - yes, we can translate "syndicated" into the daily show, but since there was nothing specific about the rest of the season, who knows if she'll show up in ... January?

I've always felt Ken was the best choice, since he provides what no host has ever provided - a long experience as a contestant, thanks to the number of his wins, and subsequent contests.

I didn't hate Mayim, at least after she settled in a little, but Ken is, to me, Alex's rightful successor.

• Like 7

You could also read “next season” as “the next season of regular games that will begin once this interminable string of tournaments is over”; i.e. February. That’s how I choose to take it, as that is what will let me stay in this bubble of contentment. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

image.png.1acbd9c0800383307566b86212b47e59.png

Oy. I've been in the situation where I was "informed" of a decision regarding my employment. 
It's never a psychologically good experience, and often not good for one's career, although sometimes it can spur one to look in a different direction that is a better fit.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Oy. I've been in the situation where I was "informed" of a decision regarding my employment. 
It's never a psychologically good experience, and often not good for one's career, although sometimes it can spur one to look in a different direction that is a better fit.

On the plus side, there's no way any actor could be in the business as long as Mayim and not figure out how to cope with stuff like this.  She also has the benefit of having had a successful career before this, so it's not like she's going to be scouring the want ads.

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

On the plus side, there's no way any actor could be in the business as long as Mayim and not figure out how to cope with stuff like this.  She also has the benefit of having had a successful career before this, so it's not like she's going to be scouring the want ads.

All true, but as a woman of a certain age, it can be very stressful. 
(Note: It can happen to men at certain ages too, just not at that particular age.)
Of course, Mayim undoubtedly has enough financial resources so that stress is not as totally life-shaking as for the rest of us Average Bears.

• Like 3

I just read that she's probably still up for primetime Jeopardy - she was pretty good in Celebrity Jeopardy, so I hope she keeps this up.

It's still unclear to me if she'll be hosting for the rest of this season. Although the Sony statements talk about next season, Mayim's continuing statements seem to indicate she won't be hosting at all. I've seen no "She'll" or "I'll" be around for the rest of this season. I don't expect that of Sony, but I do think Mayim would say something if she was still going to be hosting for this season.

It bugs me, because I've experienced a lot of corporate speak that is clear about the ultimate outcome, but some steps to that outcome (which might cause controversy) are left unsaid. (controversy isn't the right word, but it's still early in my day and my brain isn't fully intact)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, baldryanr said:

I also love that Mayim told the fans straight up what happened. A lot of times in situations like this, the actor or host will be pressured by the production company to say that it was their choice to leave. Saves face for them and makes it easier for their employer. “I was informed…” - good for you, Mayim.

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I also love that Mayim told the fans straight up what happened. A lot of times in situations like this, the actor or host will be pressured by the production company to say that it was their choice to leave. Saves face for them and makes it easier for their employer. “I was informed…” - good for you, Mayim.

The post from the J! facebook page says "Mayim has announced"...then it's sort of ambiguous as to whether it was her choice or theirs (did they make the decision about having one host before or after it was decided she would leave?). I'm guessing they agreed to let her be the first to announce it..

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2

I've watched almost all of the Jeopardy! games since late 2020. 
I suppose all the hosts are their own worst enemies.

On 12/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, Egg McMuffin said:

Yes, but hopefully she won't regret the frankness of her statement.
That is, over time, she may see how her own life choices (including starring in a show at the same time) led to this result, and wish she had not posted "I was informed." But I'm probably just projecting from my own experiences.

I hope Mayim does revisit this moment in the future in some public forum (podcast, etc.). It's a very relatable experience.
ETA: If we listeners to the podcast move the decimal point of her salary to the left a few places.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

On the one hand, Mayim wasn't able to overcome her shortcomings as the host of this show, but on the other hand, she was one of the only actors to ever successfully join the hit cast of a well-established and much loved tv series at the end of the 3rd season and make it better.  Amy Farrah Fowler was one of the best things to come out BBT and that was all due to Mayim.  We can't all be great at everything.  🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm guessing they agreed to let her be the first to announce it..

My read on it is the opposite -- she forced their hand by making a social media post about it before they put out a press release, thus them starting with "Mayim has announced".  If accurate, I love it.

• Like 9

Yep, I think you’re right. If Sony had had its way, they would have quietly announced this closer to Christmas or in the week between Christmas and New Year’s. “Mayim has decided to step away from the daily version of Jeopardy to focus on her acting. We’re looking forward to working with her on the ABC specials.” But she foiled that little plan.

• Like 2
On 12/15/2023 at 9:15 PM, shapeshifter said:

She did the first season of the prime time Celebrity Jeopardy.  It was not good.

24 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She did the first season of the prime time Celebrity Jeopardy.  It was not good.

I enjoyed it.  I didn't watch this season because it was filmed during the strike (although not in violation of the strike, obviously, since the clues were written before the WGA went on strike; I just am not comfortable watching anything that hadn't already been produced), but I liked the camaraderie of the first, and the charities the celebrities chose -- not to mention getting almost all the clues correct, heh.

• Like 4

Neuriva was the worthless brain supplement that Mayim did commercials for.

Prevagen is the worthless brain supplement whose advertising dollars Jeopardy gladly accepted for several years, thus making all the "How dare Mayim shill for a worthless brain supplement!" outrage ring rather hollow.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Neuriva was the worthless brain supplement that Mayim did commercials for.

Prevagen is the worthless brain supplement whose advertising dollars Jeopardy gladly accepted for several years, thus making all the "How dare Mayim shill for a worthless brain supplement!" outrage ring rather hollow.

Ooops!  My bad.  Maybe I should take some worthless brain supplement so I can remember which is which!  😉

• Wink 1
  • LOL 11
23 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about Mayim. She has an established acting career, she’s a director, a writer, and a neuroscientist. I’m sure she will have plenty of options for her future. She’ll be fine.

Agreed. I read today that her salary with Sony was 4 million. That works out to be about $100,000 per giggle. (Rough math)

• LOL 6