Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

https://www.thewrap.com/jeopardy-masters-abc-amy-schneider-matt-amodio/

This seems like a cynical ratings grab, but there’s no way I’ll miss it, so apparently they know what they’re doing.

But… shouldn’t Ken be among the highest ranked? I guess his host role excludes him from further play, but I’d be willing to look the other way and let him participate. Of course that would mean Mayim would have to host, so… 

Another case of no good outcome.

• Like 5

From that article:

Fans appeared to be split on whether Holzhauer was being serious or just making a sarcastic joke.

Really?  "Fans" seems to mean those who responded to the tweet, so what is malfunctioning in the half who follow him there, and thus know what he'd posted about Mike Richards (who'd produced during his run) on top of his general sense of humor, yet think he was serious?  I can understand many forgetting he'd posted criticism of Richards, but half?

• Applause 2
30 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On the one hand, I do not believe "a leopard can change its spots," on the other hand, I seem to have an infinite capacity for hoping one might, so:

As for Raut, it appears that his ranting is over for now. He concluded his latest Facebook post with the following, “Anyway, time to wrap things up. My 15 minutes are just about over. So I’ll just say that I haven’t always been the best at listening to those less privileged than me, or at calling out those who judge and punish others without listening to them. Join me in trying to be better.”
(tvinsider.com/1078861/jeopardy-james-holzhauer-yogesh-raut-rants)

• Like 1

I ran across a little interview with Ray Lalonde in Toronto Life magazine.

https://torontolife.com/city/being-a-little-older-can-give-me-an-advantage-jeopardy-champ-ray-lalonde-on-his-delightful-13-game-winning-streak/

ITunes has been coughing up older episodes for the late lamented Ask Me Another. There is a contestant called David Sibley in the Born to Run and Fail round . . . not 100% sure if he is the same one but seems like it could be?

https://www.npr.org/programs/ask-me-another/396848007/smooth-criminal

Mattea will be championing Kate Beaton's graphic memoir Ducks on Canada Reads this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/meet-the-canada-reads-2023-contenders-1.6716837

• Like 2

Sounds like Ken will continue through March 9? Nope!
https://www.tvinsider.com/1080660/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-return-date-ken-jennings/

. . . [Mayim] will begin her latest stint with a High School Reunion Tournament, which will run for 14 episodes in place of regular episodes from February 20 to March 9.
Bialik, who recently hosted the prime-time Celebrity Jeopardy! episodes, will remain on as host of the regular show following the High School Reunion tournament, while Jennings will take a break. . . .

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sounds like Ken will continue through March 9?

No, what you quoted says the regular episodes will be replaced with the High School Reunion Tournament from Feb. 20th through March 9th, and Mayim will host that tourney.  And then she'll stay on as host when the regular games pick up again, until Ken's next turn in the rotation (that date has not been announced).

I don't care for the teen tournaments, so only sporadically watch and won't "know" a lot of the players, but I like this tournament idea -- bringing them back as adults to see how they do now.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

No, what you quoted says the regular episodes will be replaced with the High School Reunion Tournament from Feb. 20th through March 9th, and Mayim will host that tourney.  And then she'll stay on as host when the regular games pick up again, until Ken's next turn in the rotation (that date has not been announced).

I don't care for the teen tournaments, so only sporadically watch and won't "know" a lot of the players, but I like this tournament idea -- bringing them back as adults to see how they do now.

Right.
That's what I get for skimming with fingers crossed:
Dashed hopes. 

Just kidding. 
Sort of.

• Like 2
On 2/8/2023 at 5:10 PM, Bastet said:

Same here. But even if I had watched the teen tournaments, I’m sure I wouldn’t remember the kids. I don’t even remember a lot of the players when Tournament of Champions begins, and that’s from the same year! For me, this will just be a tournament of smart adults who were previously smart kids. (So no different from any other tournament, really.)

Bialik, who recently hosted the prime-time Celebrity Jeopardy! episodes, will remain on as host of the regular show following the High School Reunion tournament, while Jennings will take a break.

Boo! Although we did have him a month longer than expected, so…

I’m actually happy for Ken, that he has a schedule that allows him to take breaks, spend time with his family, and do other projects if he wants. And maybe having him on the show only part-time will make us appreciate him all the more. (Trying to stay positive, as I gaze into the abyss.)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

The official Jeopardy! podcast says that, to date, only 5 champions have qualified for the Tournament of Champions, and that's including Ike B, so 4 wins doesn't automatically qualify. I'm still assuming that high-earning four time champs will make the cut. The TOC info is during the first 9 minutes of the podcast episode.

https://decider.com/2023/02/28/jeopardy-fans-furious-mayim-bialik-scheduling/

Same old- same old Mayim v Ken in this story, but it does confirm that Ken will return March 10 and host until the end of April. Then Mayim will take over in May and continue hosting through the summer, until Ken returns in September.

I was hoping Mayim’s Call Me Kat schedule would keep her busy through the summer like it did last year, but alas.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

I was hoping Mayim’s Call Me Kat schedule would keep her busy through the summer like it did last year, but alas.

Call Me Kat is at death's door. I'd expect it to be axed and her schedule will be much freer for more syndicated hosting next season.

• Sad 4
16 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It's been at deaths door since the first episode.

It has been getting lower and lower ratings. With the death of Leslie Jordan, it lost probably the one spark people were interested in seeing. To renew it for a fourth season pretty much sets them up to *have* to go for a fifth (to hit syndication threshold). If they don't pull the plug now, I'd be shocked.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, opus said:

Is that actually still a thing?

Not really. Traditionally, it took 100 episodes, but nowadays they reach 80 or so and say, “eh. That’s enough.” Probably because of shows having shorter seasons and not that many hanging around for that long. So Call Me Kat may already qualify.

(edited)
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Not really. Traditionally, it took 100 episodes, but nowadays they reach 80 or so and say, “eh. That’s enough.” Probably because of shows having shorter seasons and not that many hanging around for that long. So Call Me Kat may already qualify.

Call Me Kat has only produced forty-six episodes so far through three seasons. S1 was thirteen, season two was 18 and season three is stalled due to the delay in filming after Leslie's passing.

As I said, if they renew for a season four, there would be no point in *not* going for a fifth season to get closer to that end line.

The Mayim bashing is beyond tiresome. I don't watch for the host, I watch for the contestants. 

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If Mayim was hosting, could Ken compete?

I thought that once Ken accepted a job with J! (before Alex died) that prohibited him from competing. Wasn't there a contestant within the last couple of years who said her dream job was Clue Crew or something and Ken said it was lucky she had become a contestant first because she could still be hired in the future but could not have gone the other way?

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Autocorrect put completing instead of competing.
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If Mayim was hosting, could Ken compete?

Not per the current rules, but the executive producer has said if Ken ever came to him saying he really wanted to compete again, he'd likely find a way to make that happen.  (I don't anticipate Ken making such a request, however.)

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

Not sure where to put this, thought here was the best 'fit'. I recently saw the Golden Girls episode where Dorothy dreams she's on Jeopardy!, and realized that she pulls a Clavin! I never noticed that before. Granted, it's a silly segment because it's Dorothy's dream, but she's way ahead going into FJ, wagers everything, and loses. 

It got me thinking, did this happen pre-Cheers? So I looked it up. Nope, Cliff was first. The Cheers episode, "What is...Cliff Clavin?", aired on Jan. 18, 1990, and the GG ep, "Questions & Answers", on Feb. 8, 1992.

So 'pulling a Clavin' won't have to be changed to 'pulling a Zbornak'!

• Like 2

Fantastic article about a JEOPARDY! champion whose run was almost erased from history...

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2023/5/2/23705821/jeopardy-lost-tapes-barbara-lowe-mystery-champion

The Search for the Lost ‘Jeopardy!’ Tapes Is Over. The Mystery Behind Them Endures.

In 1986, Barbara Lowe Vollick won five games of ‘Jeopardy!’ in a row. Her episodes were then taken out of circulation. What followed was a nearly 40-year hunt for the missing tapes—and a quest to find out what really happened between the show and its most enigmatic champion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 4