Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

The difference between Ken's heartfelt thread and Mayim's perfunctory retweet, between advertisements for her podcast and memes about her sitcom, says a lot to me.  Genuine connection to the show and material alone doesn't make a good host (see Burton, LeVar), but I think it can help make a good host great.

I will be interested to see what comes of these spinoffs.  I hope Davies learned his lesson, from his time on the original primetime "Millionaire" with Regis, about overexposing a hot property.  I can't say I'd watch a pop culture spinoff, but I'd look forward to a masters tournament (although "it's a sport!" still makes me roll my eyes).

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The one thing that I don't understand is that I'm sure they figured they were going this way much sooner than now.  I don't know why they dragged things out as long as they did.  There was no need to make such a big deal out of basically maintaining the status quo.

I tend to agree with you, especially since it wasn't a matter of saying goodbye to someone who still had episodes left to air or that kind of thing.  I guess there may have been moving parts we are unaware of, but I don't see why they didn't hash terms out and put us out of our collective misery months ago.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I assume if Buzzy or anyone else was a contender, it would have leaked on social media.  Wait. Wasn’t there something like that on Twitter a month or so ago?? 

Yes, he thanked "the camera guys on [as yet unannounced project]" for recommending some product to him, and later posted a cryptic Yoda GIF in response to a game show blogger's speculation that someone other than Mayim could be hosting in primetime.  I'm not sure we have yet learned what this new project is, but I guess we know what it isn't.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The difference between Ken's heartfelt thread and Mayim's perfunctory retweet, between advertisements for her podcast and memes about her sitcom, says a lot to me.  Genuine connection to the show and material alone doesn't make a good host (see Burton, LeVar), but I think it can help make a good host great.

I just now looked at her Twitter and she has said nothing! I don't have an Instagram account (by choice.) Did she post anything there? Total social media silence seems to me to be a big mistake. Is her mindset that she had already been named as a Jeopardy! host months ago and doesn't need to personally acknowledge this? I truly don't get it. 

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I just now looked at her Twitter and she has said nothing! I don't have an Instagram account (by choice.) Did she post anything there? Total social media silence seems to me to be a big mistake. Is her mindset that she had already been named as a Jeopardy! host months ago and doesn't need to personally acknowledge this? I truly don't get it. 

Nothing at all on Instagram.  I don't know that platform well either but I think it lacks a function like Twitter's "retweet" that allows you to easily copy another's tweet to your own feed (generally understood, in the absence of commentary, as a sort of endorsement).  That's what Mayim seems to have done on the latter platform - fifth tweet down including the "pinned" one at the top.  She did more or less the same thing on Facebook, just shared the show's blog post about it with no additional message.

There seems to be quite a lack of enthusiasm to me - she is more excited about her own podcast and her recent appearance on Justin Long's, on which the blurb says she discussed, among other things, "how she didn't really watch Jeopardy growing up."  Well, quite.  A quick scroll did not seem to reveal any other posts about Jeopardy since her last episode aired.  (During that time Ken has posted about the return of the studio audience, congratulations to Jimmy for his time on the Clue Crew, responses to commentary about game theory, etc. - in other words, nothing she needed to be on air for.)

Perhaps Mayim will get some kind of better offer in a few years and move on to that.  She does seem to have no shortage of work in acting, although heavens to Betsy I don't know why, from what I've seen of her performances in character.  Whatever else happens I can't quite imagine her having taken a place in the proverbial Jeopardy pantheon 10 or 15 years from now.  She just doesn't seem to have any real passion for it whatsoever.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Man, Mayim doesn't even try to make people like her. 

Or maybe she’s been trying to make the Jeopardy! audience like her (like thinking we’d love “Single Jeopardy” 🙄) but it backfires because she doesn’t get the Jeopardy culture, so now she’s going with less is more? 🤷‍♀️ Probably not a bad move in her case.

Or was she expecting to be offered the entire hosting enchilada and is disappointed?  
Something like:   
She feels like it would be just Ken and she’s only included because he’s too busy for full time and/or she’s just necessary for optics since Ken is another white man?

Or she’s posting something nice right now while I’m speculating?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Honestly, I put Mayim's problems on the producers and directors of the show. If they told her what to do, like telling people how much they can bet on a Daily Double, or not to smirk and giggle and so on, she'd either do it or they wouldn't give her the contract. They are clearly happy with her, and want something she's offering, or she wouldn't have gotten the gig.

These are the people who thought Mike Richards was a good idea, until they were forced to reconsider. So what is obvious to me is not obvious to them, and what they value is not what I value, and I can only guess at the way their minds work. 

They are on record wanting to make the show more "exciting," and I'd bet good money that they are looking to get new viewers and younger viewers, and that they are not at all interested in preserving the formula that made the show what it was for decades. I think they are keeping Ken to quell the backlash against Mayim and appease longtime viewers, but that they actually WANT what Mayim offers, because they clearly want change, not more of the same.

I don't agree. I dislike the idea of a more "exciting" style for this show. I prefer having someone who actually understands the game, respects it, is interested in it, and isn't so obviously "on" all the time. I also prefer an orderly, consistent practice rather than the sloppy way Mayim sometimes does and sometimes doesn't tell the players various things relevant to game play.

I also think they could have found a competent, calm, not melodramatic and awkward and sloppy and time-wasting host, and still hired someone other than a white male, since it's been suggested that "diversifying" was why they wanted Mayim. There are lots of people who could have done it. I also don't think they cared about "diversifying" because if they cared about that, no way would they have hired Mike Richards. Even if you happened to like him, he was certainly not a "diversity" hire.

But I think they like Mayim. I think they think she's relatable to people who haven't historically watched Jeopardy, and who don't care about the consistency or the calmness, and don't like the quietness of the show. 

I don't know if it's because her ratings are good, of if they just flat out like her because they like her. I have to assume the ratings are their main concern, especially ratings for younger viewers. But who knows, really? I haven't seen a breakdown of the ratings, and I don't know whether younger viewers are watching now, or watching more than when Ken hosts. I just think the people running the show are trying to make changes, and those of us who like the old format are going to be forced to deal with it. I think they could have found someone less polarizing. But I also think they like the controversy. They probably think it keeps people thinking about the show.

• Applause 11
  • Love 2

Excellent thoughtful post @possibilities. And good point about Mike Richards not exactly being diverse, TPTB's first choice. If they want to catch younger viewers (Seriously, do people watch this show for the host or the clues/answers? I don't think it's the host, unless one sucks so badly it turns viewers away, I'll mention no names) they could have hired JoJo Siwa away from SYTYCD. 

I just can't believe Mayim is bringing new viewers in. Just can't. There has to be some behind-the-scenes something that we'll never know about ... until someone writes a "tell all" in a few decades!

• Love 2

I like the Second Chance Tournament, but I pay so little attention to contestants I recognize a few of those faces but can't remember the circumstances under which they lost.  Only Sadie's -- the one who didn't finish the N on Harriet Tubman in FJ and got ruled incorrect for being incomplete.  I could go look up their games on the archive, but I'm too lazy; I wish their names on that jeopardy.com page were links to blurbs about their circumstances.

Oh, one more -- I just realized why I recognize Pam; she played a strong game a couple of weeks into Amy's run.  I definitely want to see her again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Here are a few comments from someone who attended the first taping next season.  I guess this isn't really "in the media" but it seemed the best place for it.  There are no spoilers about the events of the games, just remarks about things like graphics / sound and personnel that sometimes change between seasons.  Sounds like hardly any changes we will notice.

Most interesting to me is that Ken is now introduced as "the host of J," rather than "hosting J."  I think it is right for him and Mayim to be introduced the same way.  I always thought it was some kind of contractual thing.  I rolled my eyes at the folks who'd insist, with no evidence, that Ken thought only Alex could be "the host of J" and so elected to be introduced differently.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Thanks for the link, @853fisher. Sad to know Clue Crew is gone though. I always thought those were fun categories.

My pleasure!  And yes, I think it will be too bad to be without the CC.  I doubt they will dispense with video categories, so I think we will get more of the promotional news crews / upcoming documentary stuff, or maybe they will send the hosts into the field like they used to with Alex.  I don't think that's been done with anyone since his last episodes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Some Baby Ken Jennings to tide us all over the current break:

He's just won "over $900,000" dollars at this point, and got a nice media appearance run during Ken's taping break, as a record-breaking Jeopardy! contestant. 

Ken's still a computer programmer by the day here, but his comic timing is splendid. I've always found him to be enjoyable personality, which is also be cause of his well-written books. He's great at that too. Thanks, Ken. [/snerk on the last bit]

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

For those who didn't watch Dave regularly, there was a guy on the crew, Pete Fatovich, who would show up on camera every so often, and just about the only thing he ever said was, "Who gives a rat's ass?"  It was a running joke, of which there were so many on Letterman.

Pete also played the accordion, mostly "Lady of Spain."  Dave was always so generous to his staff and crew.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 8/3/2022 at 10:27 PM, 853fisher said:

Here are a few comments from someone who attended the first taping next season.  I guess this isn't really "in the media" but it seemed the best place for it.  There are no spoilers about the events of the games, just remarks about things like graphics / sound and personnel that sometimes change between seasons.  Sounds like hardly any changes we will notice.

I love that the forum in your link is in the "old school" forum layout.  I miss that.  You can tell "where you're at", you can see the what topics are under what heading, how many replies and views, who started it and who posted last...  Now every forum I visit or participate in has a different layout, different ways to do things.  I'm tempted to join it but I waste enough time here already.

• Love 2
On 8/4/2022 at 7:44 PM, pancake bacon said:

Some Baby Ken Jennings to tide us all over the current break

While all 10 were good, I laughed especially hard at No. 2, thanks to @Prevailing Wind, and No. 1 was the tops as well. And Baby Ken did a fab job. He was a natural even back then. Thanks for the link!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 8/4/2022 at 8:44 PM, pancake bacon said:

Some Baby Ken Jennings to tide us all over the current break:

He's just won "over $900,000" dollars at this point, and got a nice media appearance run during Ken's taping break, as a record-breaking Jeopardy! contestant. 

Ken's still a computer programmer by the day here, but his comic timing is splendid. I've always found him to be enjoyable personality, which is also be cause of his well-written books. He's great at that too. Thanks, Ken. [/snerk on the last bit]

Here’s one Alex did (Apologies if it was previously posted)

Edited by opus
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

This new ToC format seems interesting.  My kneejerk reaction was not positive, but sometimes I think I'm just averse to change.  This was a remarkable year or so of play, so I guess it's fair enough to make a few tweaks.

I have seen it raised elsewhere that Amy, Matt, and Mattea could be somewhat disadvantaged by their "bye" into the semifinals, because they will be coming in "cold."  Maybe they'll work something out for that.

My pitch: start the tournament off with a charity match between the three of them.  That way they will get a chance to warm up, and further anticipation will be built.  I can see some "why nots," but I think it'd be fascinating.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, 853fisher said:

This new ToC format seems interesting.  My kneejerk reaction was not positive, but sometimes I think I'm just averse to change. 

I'm seriously considering not watching it for the first time in decades because they're completely fucking it up with this stupid new format.

18 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I have seen it raised elsewhere that Amy, Matt, and Mattea could be somewhat disadvantaged by their "bye" into the semifinals, because they will be coming in "cold." 

They won't be disadvantaged.  They'll have the advantage of playing fewer games and thus having fewer chances of being eliminated.  It is really unfair.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I'm sure it will be very funny (because of Ken).  You all will have to let me know. 

If it's Call Me Cat is a FOX show, it's probably on Hulu the next day?

Edited by shapeshifter
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If it's a FOX show, it's probably on Hulu the next day?

Hulu is owned by Disney &  Jeopardy isn't available on Hulu the day after or later, I just checked, it is only available on Hulu+ live when it is broadcast. It is produced by Sony and syndicated to different channels in different areas, where I am (CA) it is on ABC but may be on Fox, NBC or CBS depending on where you are.

It's all as clear as mud but the short answer is no it's not available on Hulu the next day & you tube is probably the easiest place to find it.

Forgot to say that Disney also owns ABC as well as Hulu.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
additions
2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Hulu is owned by Disney &  Jeopardy isn't available on Hulu the day after or later, I just checked, it is only available on Hulu+ live when it is broadcast. It is produced by Sony and syndicated to different channels in different areas, where I am (CA) it is on ABC but may be on Fox, NBC or CBS depending on where you are.

It's all as clear as mud but the short answer is no it's not available on Hulu the next day & you tube is probably the easiest place to find it.

Forgot to say that Disney also owns ABC as well as Hulu.

So sorry to send you on that “wild goose chase,” @Welshman in Ca
I edited my post to replace the vague pronoun “it” with the proper noun/title of the show on which Ken Jennings is appearing: “Call Me Cat,” which apparently is on Fox live, and then on Hulu the next day.

At least we have a good example of why we should always use nouns and proper nouns (names, titles, etc.) rather than pronouns (she, it, their, etc.) to avoid misunderstandings when writing.

As an aside, I don’t think Jeopardy! is ever on Fox, but I could be wrong about that.  I stand corrected👇

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
On 8/19/2022 at 1:51 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

You'll regret it.

I disagree. It took a bit to get into it, but I’ve mostly enjoyed it. I’d watch it for Leslie Jordan anyway, but overall I think it’s a show that’s worth it.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, dcalley said:

This may or may not be interesting to you: http://jeopardy.mattcarberry.com/stations.html (I have found it useful in the past when traveling.)

On 8/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, shapeshifter said:

As an aside, I don’t think Jeopardy! is ever on Fox, but I could be wrong about that.  I stand corrected👇

Yes, @dcalley, it does interest me. Thank you!
Mostly because I feel less dumb in (wrongly) supposing Jeopardy! is not broadcast on Fox,
because, although Jeopardy! is broadcast on Fox, it is only listed
here on Fox in 12 cities, 
whereas:

• NBC: 70 cities
  • ABC: 51 cities
  • CBS: 70 cities

and 5 cities are listed as IND (independent, perhaps?).

This factoid seems ripe for a Jeopardy! clue, or perhaps a crossword or other quiz game clue.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was watching Call Me Kat because it had cats in it (literal, for real live cats). But they had fewer of those near the end of the season, and this disappoints me.

I really don't like that they are sending Ken to do a cameo, though. It's too desperate.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I disagree. It took a bit to get into it, but I’ve mostly enjoyed it. I’d watch it for Leslie Jordan anyway, but overall I think it’s a show that’s worth it.

glad i am not the only one - i enjoy it too

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Thanks, Jeopardy producers, for giving me absolutely no reason to watch Celebrity Jeopardy.  Hell, I haven't even heard of half these people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mayim-bialik-reveals-which-stars-made-the-cut-for-celebrity-jeopardy/ar-AA112RBm?li=BBnbfcL

I've heard of most of them. I might watch, since it is Jeopardy!, but I tend to avoid shows with "Celebrity" in the title.

For the record, there seems to be a separate forum for Celebrity Jeopardy. I know we will probably continue to talk about it here.

We really should be posting in the Celebrity Jeopardy thread since this is just the Media thread.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2