Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Mario500 said:

"WRT"?

with regard to

D'oh! I didn't even notice @shapeshifter had posted first.  I've always used regard but I think reference is possibly better. More up to date, anyhow.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Nice post by Ryan. I am really so happy for him and the turn his life has taken. I hope he gets many opportunities from this.

I also saw this today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2022/06/08/jeopardy-champ-ryan-long-his-final-match-inspirational-legacy/7551724001/
So he didn’t exactly throw the game, but it sounds like his old insecurities may have crept in after the missed MLK clue and clouded the rest of his performance. 😔 It just proves he’s only human. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

It reminds me of Brad Rutter's advise to players, which is that each question should be taken as it comes and then forgotten so you're ready to move on to the next one.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am one who has said that I'm not sure how Ryan will stack up in this ToC field, but perhaps the acclaim he has received now that his episodes have aired will fuel him psychologically.  As much as I sometimes think too much openness is expected from anyone in the public eye these days, it is interesting to learn more about what contestants are thinking.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ryan Long was a big hit at our local ABC (Ch. 6 - Philadelphia) studio. All the anchors wanted to meet him and have their picture taken with him. He just seems like a nice person it’s nice he’s won some cash that will help him out. In the open field I’m not sure how well he will do. He seemed a little slower in pace which he did admit was tough and Jeopardy has become more of a race and about speed along with knowing the answers. I’m looking forward to see how he does. I’m also a big Matt Amodio fan so it should be a fun tournament to watch this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Amy threw out the first pitch at yesterday's Giants game. 

What a cool experience for her!  It was Pride Day at the stadium, and the archrivals came together to both wear Pride caps (rainbow flag colors incorporated into their team logos) during the game -- the Dodgers had debuted theirs for their own Pride Day game a week before, and wore them again in this away game as a joint message with one of the very few other teams donning Pride wear.  The Giants manager said:

We’re really looking forward to partnering with the Dodgers on this, and really coming together and emphasizing that it’s not enough to kind of reluctantly accept any community.  It’s really important that everybody feels wanted and appreciated, and that is absolutely true for the LGBTQ+ community.

We’re going to do everything in our power to make sure that that feeling of being welcome is really evident in our ballpark.

I'm a Dodgers fan, but last year the Giants were the first MLB team to wear Pride colors during a game, so I give props where they are due.  Only three teams wore Pride colors on the field this year (Dodgers, Giants, and Rays, although, in a disgusting display, five Tampa Bay players peeled the rainbow patches off their uniforms before taking the field), so this is not remotely an MLB-wide thing; it's such a simple gesture, but with so few teams doing it, it's a big deal.  (All but the Texas Rangers have annual Pride Day events at their ballparks at some point in June, but only those few teams wore Pride colors during the actual game.)

The umpires at the Giants-Dodgers game wore Pride hats (the MLB logo with a rainbow backdrop instead of the usual), too; as far as I can tell, that's the first time such a thing has happened in all of men's pro sports.  It was a special game all around (marred only by the fact the Dodgers lost, heh), so yea for Amy getting to be part of the pre-game festivities in such a prominent way.

Edited by Bastet
  • Applause 6
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

All but the Texas Rangers have annual Pride Day events at their ballparks at some point in June,

Figures.

I live in Texas. I am often not proud of that fact.

• Sad 7
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
On 6/12/2022 at 2:49 PM, Bastet said:

five Tampa Bay players peeled the rainbow patches off their uniforms before taking the field

This stuns me. I mean, WTH. Does wearing a patch all of a sudden make you trans or gay or a lesbian? Jackasses are everywhere it seems, even in MLB. Thanks for sharing that story.

On the plus side, hooray for Amy throwing out that first pitch. Boo-yah!

• Applause 3
  • Love 2

I was disappointed to read that, when this game aired, Fox Sports showed a NASCAR driver doing the ceremonial pitch from a different game instead of Amy.  The analysts quoted here feel this was an ill-considered result of an attempt to promote upcoming NASCAR coverage, rather than to ignore the presence of a trans honoree, but I think they're giving perhaps a bit more credit than I would.

8 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

This is hysterical 

Yes, it is!  Thanks for sharing.  I remember reading the physical newspaper they used to publish.  They've still got it.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The analysts quoted here feel this was an ill-considered result of an attempt to promote upcoming NASCAR coverage, rather than to ignore the presence of a trans honoree, but I think they're giving perhaps a bit more credit than I would.

Yeah, that's some bullshit.  This is a Fox property, after all, and if they wanted to show Busch's ceremonial toss in order to promote their NASCAR coverage, they'd have shown Amy's pitch, then introduced the tape of Kurt Busch's pitch by saying, "And Thursday's pitch here at Oracle Park was thrown by NASCAR driver Kurt Busch.  He'll be racing tomorrow about 40 miles up the road at Sonoma Raceway; tune into Fox Sports at [time] Sunday for live coverage."

Instead they replaced Amy's pitch with his, and never even said it was from a previous game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's some bullshit.

Kind of like a Dallas tv station having "technical problems" during some Uvalde aftermath coverage, the only station in the United States that did. At least the tv station apologized.

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

There are no words.

4 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Kind of like a Dallas tv station having "technical problems" during some Uvalde aftermath coverage, the only station in the United States that did. At least the tv station apologized.

Yeah, that occurred during Jimmy Kimmel’s opening monologue about when will there finally be enough dead kids for the nation to reconsider its stance on guns. But our very forward-thinking WFAA “accidentally” replaced all that with some high-priority commercials. Kimmel forgave them. I haven’t.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I watch a fair amount of baseball, and they almost never show the ceremonial first pitch on television, unless it is some sort of promotional thing like the Fox/NASCAR tie-in. No conspiracy here...

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I watch a fair amount of baseball, and they almost never show the ceremonial first pitch on television, unless it is some sort of promotional thing like the Fox/NASCAR tie-in. No conspiracy here...

Do they typically show the ceremonial pitch from an entirely different game, while speaking like it happened that day? 

I like Amy's response:

• Applause 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Do they typically show the ceremonial pitch from an entirely different game, while speaking like it happened that day?

Hard to say, it's so rare that I've even seen one. Honestly, what I've seen more of is during a NASCAR race, they show a clip where a driver threw out the first pitch at a stadium near the track, or showed some other sporting event nearby that they visited during the race weekend.

Edited by Moose135
(edited)
1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Had difficulty sleeping, so I put on Arthur (no judging, please).

What an episode!

The Jeopardy! Riddle Quest part 1 of "Arthur and the Big Riddle" starts at https://youtu.be/eti7rJNVDmQ?t=139

Part 2 is here: https://youtu.be/uNMlmqWfUr8

Happily for Arthur, even though he kind of threw the game, his friends and family still celebrated his accomplishment of being on the show. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ken will be facing off against Ross Mathews. That should be fun. I think (THINK) his will be the third episode, with Carson Kressley vs. RuPaul as the second half hour. I love both of them, too. Good times ahead! (Well, for me.)

ETA: I read down further and Ken will team with Mario Cantone later in Season 6. Big yikes! LOL!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Applause 2
56 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

Based on the part of the video👆 that I watched, if Mayim got COVID some time last week, she would not have been able to host shows after about mid August, since the June 17, 2022 show was taped about 8 weeks earlier on April 20 (jboard.tv/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=d2235d566d337c504a6fe111dfb2ec08).
Is Jeopardy! even on then?

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Based on the part of the video👆 that I watched, if Mayim got COVID some time last week, she would not have been able to host shows after about mid August, since the June 17, 2022 show was taped about 8 weeks earlier on April 20 (jboard.tv/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=d2235d566d337c504a6fe111dfb2ec08).

It is on in August but they usually run repeats of different tourneys.  The last new episode for this season should be shown on Friday, July 29th.  If you go back 8 weeks then that will mean the episode was probably shot on Monday, June 6th or the 13th and she caught it after she was done taping or perhaps Ken had returned.  Guess we won't know until the July episodes begin.

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The season finishes airing at the end of July.  There's usually about a two-month delay between taping and air date, so they should be done already.

• Useful 1

In early May, Ken tweeted that Mayim would be taking over “for a few months”, but that he would be back “before the end of the season”. If the season concludes at the end of July, then I would expect him back around the 1st. Because what would be the point of hosting for less than a month?

However, Ken’s use of “a few months” seems to indicate that Mayim will be onscreen through July. So who knows. Maybe, with 2 hosts, the show can run through August without taking a break for reruns? Either way, Ken should have been back taping before Mayim caught Covid.

• Applause 4

Confounded by all the ‘Jeopardy!’ winning streaks? You’re not alone.--Washington Post, 6/24/22

Ryan Long, on conspiracy theories about the game being rigged (it is not):

“I felt it was goofy, and at the time when I saw it, I also felt a little insulted,” Long said. “Because a lot of people work very, very hard on the show and they’re very, very careful.”

Accusations like that, he said, devalue “Jeopardy!” staffers and contestants.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Jeopardy just won the Daytime Emmy Award for Best Game Show.  Michael Davies, the Producer, accepted the Award & thanked both terrific Hosts, Ken & Mayim, and also congratulated all the super-winners this season like Amy & Matt Amodio.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, dcalley said:

Confounded by all the ‘Jeopardy!’ winning streaks? You’re not alone.--Washington Post, 6/24/22

Ryan Long, on conspiracy theories about the game being rigged (it is not):

The theories suggesting that all contestants are generally better prepared or all questions are easier can't account for long-running champions because if all contestants were equally better-prepared or all had better chances at knowing the answers to easier questions, we would expect to see new contestants defeat the champion just as regularly and therefore shorter streaks.

I personally think that the likelihood is that the breadth [or rather the accessibility] of the anytime test, following on the pandemic period where they really only had very local contestants, did mean that they could have a glut of truly exceptional contestants this season in amongst the simply good ones. There's not a lot else that has changed noticeably -- the occasional ruling seems a bit questionable but surely not enough to be throwing whole streaks to one player. The issue of buzzer timing and comfort with the studio should not be different from what it was in previous seasons, unless they have somehow changed the buzzer calibration to imperceptibly give the champion an advantage.

This might be crazy talk, but I might consider the radical step of having the player positions assigned by lot every show, so that the champion is not always in the leftmost position from our perspective. If having that position does confer an advantage somehow that would remove it.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
clarification of what I meant by "breadth"
(edited)
7 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The theories suggesting that all contestants are generally better prepared or all questions are easier can't account for long-running champions because if all contestants were equally better-prepared or all had better chances at knowing the answers to easier questions, we would expect to see new contestants defeat the champion just as regularly and therefore shorter streaks

Excellent point!

the breadth of the anytime test, . . . did mean that they could have a glut of truly exceptional contestants this season in amongst the simply good ones.

Does the content of the online test differ significantly from the old in-studio tests?

Regardless of more questions(?) in the Anytime test than the in-studio test, the advent of the online Anytime test could select for those more likely to excel at Jeopardy!, supposing the online pretest takers might include more who are quick on the buzzer and quick to answer.

Even if the Super Champ contestants did not show up in tandem with the advent of the Anytime test, that could just mean awareness of the Anytime test took a little while to saturate the pool of willing Jeopardy! participants.
Also, have they stopped offering in-studio tests altogether, and, if so, when?

Perhaps most significantly, those who might not have been motivated to go in person to take a test, might have been less likely to have been Super Champ material. I’m sure there are reasons for this that I have not considered, both psychological and——at least equally important——practical, such as financially-struggling Ryan Long, or serious students (e.g., PhD candidates) like Matt Amodio.

This might be crazy talk, but I might consider the radical step of having the player positions assigned by lot every show, so that the champion is not always in the leftmost position from our perspective. If having that position does confer an advantage somehow that would remove it.

Not crazy talk at all, @SomeTameGazelle
This may be the determining factor in the run of Super Champions!
I’ve read quite a few post-game comments by contestants who remarked on how small the screen with the clues is, and how far away it is. 
I wonder if Social Distancing requirements moved the clue screen farther from the contestants, and if the Champ position (on the viewers’ left) is significantly enough closer to the clue screen to give an advantage.🤔

Perhaps not related to the increase of super champs:
Whenever I read another one of those comments about how small the screen is, it makes me mad, because it seems easy enough to fix (make the damn screen bigger!) and means those with visual impairments that are not obvious are at a disadvantage. I wonder if the distance also inadvertently penalizes those with mild hearing loss?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Ryan Long forgot his glasses at home for his first several games and you could see him struggling to see the clues. It was especially obvious when he came back wearing them and he looked more comfortable not squinting to see.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Does the content of the online test differ significantly from the old in-studio tests?

Not to my knowledge -- by "breadth" I was thinking not of the content of the test (which, again, would be the same for all applicants) but of the convenience which as you described much more clearly allows  more contestants to start the process whenever it suits them.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps most significantly, those who might not have been motivated to go in person to take a test, might have been less likely to have been Super Champ material. I’m sure there are reasons for this that I have not considered, both psychological and——at least equally important——practical, such as financially-struggling Ryan Long, or serious students (e.g., PhD candidates) like Matt Amodio.

Yes, exactly.

• Love 2

They buried the lede!

(Note: The below is about the primetime/celeb shows.)

Adding to the mystery of the seemingly imminent reveal, Jeopardy! vet and sometime guest host Buzzy Cohen (who’s currently on ABC’s The Chase) recently hinted on Twitter that another (perhaps his?) name is in the mix.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

“But with all of our plans for Jeopardy! — which is more Jeopardy!, not less, more versions — we’re going to need multiple hosts to represent the entire audience,” Davies added, “to represent the entire country, in order to take this franchise forward.”

You get a Jeopardy! You get a Jeopardy! You all get to host a Jeopardy!” Just how many versions are they planning? And will they ever ask Brad to host any of them?? 😉

I’m not sure how I feel about all these new plans. While it might be fun to have a little more J! in primetime, my fear is a) the questions will be dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience; b) this will inevitably trickle down to the daytime version; and c) the show will be over-exposed to the point where it dies a slow and painful death, a la Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
30 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

You get a Jeopardy! You get a Jeopardy! You all get to host a Jeopardy!”

🤣

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

For a variety of both Jeopardy! and non-Jeopardy! related reasons I was glad to be able to cast my little vote in the little TVline survey for host--but then:

image.png.40df9b2c1799afc1f203a97cc1c1e895.png

Argh. I'm torn between all but the first option. 
Ah well. At least this is one decision I do not have to make.

But why is "Someone else" so far down in the votes as compared with you-know-who?
I do not like this pole.

image.png.76bfc8c4dea3139a43d797bb5caa355e.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2