Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Agreed. I read today that her salary with Sony was 4 million. That works out to be about $100,000 per giggle. (Rough math)

I guess I should retract this upthread comment I made?
Okay, I just edited it:

On 12/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

I hope Mayim does revisit this moment in the future in some public forum (podcast, etc.). It's a very relatable experience.

ETA: If we listeners to the podcast move the decimal point of her salary to the left a few places.

Edited by shapeshifter
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Another take on why Mayim was dismissed… although it’s TMZ, so take it with a grain of salt. 
https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/20/hollywood-strikes-showed-sony-brass-they-didnt-need-mayim-bialik/

TMZ is good about not making up stuff, but, yeah, “Sources” sounds like they recognize it’s hearsay. IDK. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Our sources say Sony is still open to having Mayim host "Jeopardy!" primetime specials, because they feel she's talented and works well with the celebrity contestants ... but we're told Mayim made it clear it was all or nothing. As a result, we're told Sony brass declined and Mayim released her statement Friday without consulting Sony.
Regardless, our sources say the ball is still in Mayim's court ... we're told Sony execs want her for primetime specials, if she accepts the offer.

Stay tuned ...

https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/20/hollywood-strikes-showed-sony-brass-they-didnt-need-mayim-bialik/

This does sound a bit like it was leaked on purpose to control the spin.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
45 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

I mean, they're not wrong about only needing one host.  As long as the host is OK then that's all they really need.

Yep, they got along for years with just one host.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Wildcard said:

Jeopardy! articles by Claire McNear inThe Ringer are arguably the definitive source for all Jeopardy! news, but I came away thinking this is just the first installment of the current saga.
Putting aside the conflicts between Mayim and Jeopardy! management touched on in the article, this bit stood out to me as the reason Ken works in the role:

Bialik said that she suspected she would be reduced to tears if she were a contestant. “People ask if I know all that stuff, and I’m like, ‘No. No,’” she said. “Answering things like that under pressure with a timer is not gonna happen for me. It’s hard!”

The self-effacement presented a stark divergence from both Trebek, who perfected the art of always seeming to know more than the contestants, and Jennings, who won a record 74 games as a contestant in 2004.

Alex had suggested Laura Coates as his successor. But after reading this article, I wonder if, as a civil rights advocate and attorney, she might not have experienced conflicts with Jeopardy! management similar to Mayim's. And, just to be clear, I am a woman, and I don't see Mayim's conflict with Jeopardy! management as depicted in McNear's article as a gender issue. But, as I mentioned above, it does seem like a Part II is likely to follow from Claire McNear, that this is more of a placeholder for something more in depth. Or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Alex had suggested Laura Coates as his successor. But after reading this article, I wonder if, as a civil rights advocate and attorney, she might not have experienced conflicts with Jeopardy! management similar to Mayim's. And, just to be clear, I am a woman, and I don't see Mayim's conflict with Jeopardy! management as depicted in McNear's article as a gender issue. But, as I mentioned above, it does seem like a Part II is likely to follow from Claire McNear, that this is more of a placeholder for something more in depth. Or not.

It sounds like Jeopardy (somewhat understandably) wants someone who expresses absolutely no opinions about any remotely controversial subject.  Some of the other potential hosts (Aaron Rodgers, for example) would not have been able to do that, and I agree that Laura Coates would not have been able to either.  Ken, on the other hand, seems perfectly content to stay within the lines.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

It sounds like Jeopardy (somewhat understandably) wants someone who expresses absolutely no opinions about any remotely controversial subject.

Ken definitely has his own checkered past and present with problematic statements. The comment about the elderly person not being able to stand up being one of the more recent ones I can recall. He hasn't quelled his knee-jerk tendency to want to make funny, Twitter quips from the podium.

• Like 4
On 12/28/2023 at 10:26 AM, TakomaSnark said:

Ken definitely has his own checkered past and present with problematic statements. The comment about the elderly person not being able to stand up being one of the more recent ones I can recall. He hasn't quelled his knee-jerk tendency to want to make funny, Twitter quips from the podium.

True, but there's a difference.  Ken might say (or tweet) stupid, offensive stuff in a misguided attempt to be funny, but he's also far more likely to immediately back down with a canned apology.  Hosts taking a stand on an issue they truly believe in are far more likely to dig in (I'm saying what needs to be said, this counts as free speech, etc.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since the announcements that Ken is now officially The Host, I am noticing a few of his unique qualities in the role, especially:

Ken quickly expresses empathy for a player’s mistake, perhaps easily recalling from his own experiences (and also now from observation of many other players in the studio) how natural it is to make a particular type of mistake when presented with a tricky clue and a silently ticking timer.
Plus I imagine he quickly re-works through the clues in real-time (having prepped earlier).

With the advent of James Holzhauer’s board-hopping technique, there are somewhat unforeseen errors players are likely to make, especially if, say, they play a last clue first in a category with a tricky name. 
Ken is quick to explain the reason it was the wrong response, using just a few words conveyed sympathetically, but firmly too.

After all the mistakes TPTB made in trying to fill Alex’s role, they lucked out (lucked in?) by getting Ken.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 11
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, that will be a bit different. I do like Stephen Fry, and he is a very smart guy. I might try to catch it on YouTube if someone puts it up.

I just did a search for ITV on my Roku TV, but it's confusing. 
For instance, I see the ITV logo, but it says "ITV Patagonia."

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, that will be a bit different. I do like Stephen Fry, and he is a very smart guy. I might try to catch it on YouTube if someone puts it up.

I know in Canada they are planning to broadcast the UK Jeopardy on BBC First starting on January 10. (Confusingly, the guide in our TV listings has associated the program with a series about teenagers searching for UFOs ... but the ads make it clear it is the Stephen Fry quiz version.) Is there a similar US channel?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Is there a similar US channel?

BBCAmerica would probably be the closest thing, but they stopped showing UK programming some time ago. The Graham Norton show is the only show that actually comes from the BBC nowadays….

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

In the US, it'll probably be on either Acorn or Britbox, both pay streaming channels. But those two have so much other great programming, it's worth the $70 (each) per year.

Haven't seen it mentioned on Britbox yet amongst the coming soon so I'm not holding out much hope.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

BBCAmerica would probably be the closest thing, but they stopped showing UK programming some time ago. The Graham Norton show is the only show that actually comes from the BBC nowadays….

Losing the Graham Norton show was the most painful part of cutting the cord. We watch bits on YouTube, but that's not the same as watching the interactions from start to finish. It's like an appetizer instead of the main course.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Just a 20-game series? 
Perhaps it will eventually be released in the US, like the UK Ghosts has been.

I'm guessing the 20-game series is a pilot. I wouldn't be surprised if it's picked up for a longer run if it's successful.

• Useful 1

Night two of the Creative Arts Emmy Awards were held last night. The Emmy for Outstanding Game Show was awarded to Jeopardy! 👏 Both Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik were nominated in the Outstanding Host for a Game Show category but the Emmy was awarded to Keke Palmer for hosting Password. 

You can see the full results via The Hollywood Reporter here:

Creative Arts Emmys: Complete Winners List

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Yeah, I'm gonna pass on "Audio Jeopardy!

TuneIn To Livestream Champions Wildcard Play-In Round January 12 & February 2

TuneIn, the world’s leader in live audio, announced today in collaboration with Sony Pictures Television that fans can stream three “Champions Wildcard Play-In Games” exclusively on TuneIn for free. The winners of the Wildcard Play-In Games will advance to the Season 39 Champions Wildcard competition, in which every contestant who won one or two games last season will compete for a chance to play in the highly anticipated 2024 Tournament of Champions. These will be the first official Jeopardy! episodes to be presented exclusively in an audio format. 

The Wildcard Play-In Games feature nine single-day champions from Season 39 who are competing for one of three spots in Champions Wildcard. The Play-In Games will air in two parts, premiering ad-free on TuneIn on the following dates, and will be available On Demand immediately after the episodes live stream:

Play-In Games 1 & 2: Friday, January 12 at 8 p.m. ET

Play-In Game 3:  Friday, February 2 at 8 p.m. ET

• Like 2
19 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Yeah, me too. When I was a kid on a base in Europe, I used to listen to College Bowl on the radio, but those were different times (there was tv, just not American tv). We're already inundated. But I could see a small audience for the livestream, for those who are on the road or otherwise not in front of a screen.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah, me too. When I was a kid on a base in Europe, I used to listen to College Bowl on the radio, but those were different times (there was tv, just not American tv). We're already inundated. But I could see a small audience for the livestream, for those who are on the road or otherwise not in front of a screen.

As I understand it, these are games that will not be broadcast on television. Apparently they have too many contestants for the Wildcard and so they have chosen to play these rounds in order to narrow the  field for the actual CWC broadcast.

I was thinking I didn't need to listen to these and then I read that Buzzy will be hosting. I thought he did a tremendous job hosting the TOC in 2020 so now I am actually a bit tempted to listen. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was thinking I didn't need to listen to these and then I read that Buzzy will be hosting. I thought he did a tremendous job hosting the TOC in 2020 so now I am actually a bit tempted to listen. 

Well now, that's a bit of important information. Probably still won't do it, but I do like Buzzy a lot. Though I'd miss his clothing choices if I couldn't see  him.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm pretty sure all of the week's NY Times "Flashback History Quiz" events were taken word-for-word from this week's Jeopardy! clues. 
I don't have a gift link for it, but you should be able to see it if you either haven't visited very many NYT articles so far the month, or if you open it in either a different browser, or possibly in a "Private" window. Or I can copy the clues and post them here:

nytimes.com/interactive/2024/01/05/upshot/flashback.html

On 1/11/2024 at 12:47 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I probably won't listen to these, but it's good they have Buzzy on. I didn't really care for him when he was a contestant, but I loved him when he was guest host, and would have really enjoyed having him as the permanent host of the daily show.

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm pretty sure all of the week's NY Times "Flashback History Quiz" events were taken word-for-word from this week's Jeopardy! clues. 
I don't have a gift link for it, but you should be able to see it if you either haven't visited very many NYT articles so far the month, or if you open it in either a different browser, or possibly in a "Private" window. Or I can copy the clues and post them here:

nytimes.com/interactive/2024/01/05/upshot/flashback.html

Or you could use 12ft to skip the paywall... https://12ft.io/

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

When will Jeopardy end the second chance and celeb games and return to the regular games? Or, has this already happened? TIA.

Celebs are a different show (and ending in two weeks--last semi this Tues and the final following Tues). As to Second Chance, it's ending Monday, but the Champions Wildcard (Season 39) starts Tuesday. I believe that is followed by the TOC. Regular games? What's that? It's been so long! I think they may resume in March.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

As to Second Chance, it's ending Monday, but the Champions Wildcard (Season 39) starts Tuesday. I believe that is followed by the TOC.   Regular games? What's that? It's been so long! I think they may resume in March.

Correct.  Per an article posted upthread, the wildcard thing runs through 2/22, and then we get the ToC.  That is reported to feature 27 contestants, so that would be nine regular games, then three semi-final games, and a two-day final.  That would take us through March 6, with regular games resuming on the 7th.  The 6th is a Wednesday, and you'd think they'd want the ToC to end on a Friday (doesn't it usually?), but just looking at the calendar and slotting in what has been reported, that's what we've got so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Correct.  Per an article posted upthread, the wildcard thing runs through 2/22, and then we get the ToC.  That is reported to feature 27 contestants, so that would be nine regular games, then three semi-final games, and a two-day final.  That would take us through March 6, with regular games resuming on the 7th.  The 6th is a Wednesday, and you'd think they'd want the ToC to end on a Friday (doesn't it usually?), but just looking at the calendar and slotting in what has been reported, that's what we've got so far.

Thank you!
This time I'm putting it on my calendar. 🐘

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

you'd think they'd want the ToC to end on a Friday (doesn't it usually?)

It did when they used the 15>9>3 structure with 5 quarterfinal, 3 semifinal, and 2 final games, but the last TOC which Amy won had 6 quarterfinal + 1 exhibition game, 3 semifinal, and then a first-to-3-wins final that allowed for as few as 3 to as many as 7 games so could end on any day of the week.

I thought they would use the first-to-3-wins in this TOC as well but I can't keep up with all the tournaments and what it takes to be included. Last year's TOC had 21 competitors. Now this one has 27. Season 40 will have so few new contestants they will either have to have an ultraslim TOC next year or come up with even more second chancers from somewhere.

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought they would use the first-to-3-wins in this TOC as well

Maybe they are; that would explain it not being scheduled to end on a Friday, if the format is such that they have no idea what day of the week it will end.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Mattea was interviewed on CBC [radio] about when contestants don't know pop culture (and how the internet judges them harshly).

Which to me is strange because of the questions on Jeopardy & the type of people it attracts the last thing I would expect them to know is pop culture. But that's the internet for you & the people who do the harsh judging tend find an issue with everyone & everything. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Here’s another article about the audio-only tournament games. 

https://www.tvinsider.com/1119012/jeopardy-buzzy-cohen-ken-jennings-mayim-bialik/

I don’t really understand it. So the winners of these games will just be dropped into the televised games later? Just when you think this tournament can’t get more confusing… or longer. 😕

As I understand it, they have played 2 of these games already and Nik from Thursday and Rachel from Friday were the winners who advanced to the TV CWC games. There is one more radio "play-in" game to play and that person will be in one of the future CWC games already scheduled. This does not change the Champions Wildcard schedule which has Group 1 until Feb 2 and Group 2 from Feb 5-22.

I don't know whether they decided on how to bracket the CWC first and then found out how many surplus players they had in order to come up with this solution, or if they got all of their acceptances and then decided on the play-in solution as part of the structure. But I really don't understand how they decided the rankings since Devin who competed against Juveria on Wednesday was a one-day champion with only 1,200 (plus 3rd place on his second game) was apparently not put through the play-in round and all of the players who have been in the play-in so far were 1 day champions with much higher winnings.

I had never heard the term "play-in" before until these games were announced, but apparently it is a known thing in the NBA (and possibly other sports for all I know).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I have a feeling I'm not the only viewer who has given up on trying to figure out the ridiculous layers of competitions the J! producers have set up to ultimately get us to the TOC. I really don't care any more. I'm just watching some sort of Jeopardy! game at this point, where I occasionally recognize one of the faces.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Same. I just feel like, if you have so many eligible contestants that you can’t fit them all into your regular schedule, maybe it’s time to rethink your tournament. By the time the show finally gets to TOC, so much time will have passed from their previous appearances that I probably won’t remember most of those players, either.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Same. I just feel like, if you have so many eligible contestants that you can’t fit them all into your regular schedule, maybe it’s time to rethink your tournament. By the time the show finally gets to TOC, so much time will have passed from their previous appearances that I probably won’t remember most of those players, either.

It does seem like these call-back contestants have had far fewer audience-annoying quirks than the regular players. 
I wonder how this translates to ratings.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I have a feeling I'm not the only viewer who has given up on trying to figure out the ridiculous layers of competitions the J! producers have set up to ultimately get us to the TOC. I really don't care any more. I'm just watching some sort of Jeopardy! game at this point, where I occasionally recognize one of the faces.

That's been my attitude all along - as long as I'm watching a game, I'm okay. Yeah, I get a little confused, but that's okay. It's not like regular season games (categories) don't confuse me sometimes. But it will be nice to get back to non tournament games eventually.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

if you have so many eligible contestants that you can’t fit them all into your regular schedule

Aren't we getting this tournament because they didn't have enough eligible contestants for the ToC so came up with this way to put more people in?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Aren't we getting this tournament because they didn't have enough eligible contestants for the ToC so came up with this way to put more people in?

Yes.

• Like 1

It seems a lot of the second chance and wild card contestants don’t hesitate to make big DD bets. I wonder if that will change when we get back to regular play. And if we will continue to clear the boards…

• Like 1