Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

Generous of AT's family, but it seems like they had a choice: [1] Donate the clothing to the charity. [2] Sell the clothing to Jeopardy fans, and give the money and any leftover clothing to the charity. Probably many of the recipients were particularly glad to get AT's clothing, but option [2] might have provided more clothing total.

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

The first clue for today's Sunday New York Times crossword was "The man with all the answers" .  The solution was Trebek.

How nice for him; even if he isn’t alive to see it. 😢

• Love 2

Tonight in Rochester NY a virtual local benefit for a hospital is preempting Jeopardy. I have access to Paramount+ (was CBS All Access) which has a “Live TV” option, so it will be interesting to see if Jeopardy airs. I’m guessing not. 
I still don’t understand how Jeopardy is on CBS here in Rochester NY while it’s on ABC back in Chicagoland. 

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I still don’t understand how Jeopardy is on CBS here in Rochester NY while it’s on ABC back in Chicagoland. 

It's syndicated, so it can be on any station at any time (which is why it's not on "Paramount+", which would only have "CBS owned/aired" shows). It's technically not on "ABC" (network)--it's on the "ABC local station".

6 minutes ago, illdoc said:

It's syndicated, so it can be on any station at any time (which is why it's not on "Paramount+", which would only have "CBS owned/aired" shows). It's technically not on "ABC" (network)--it's on the "ABC local station".

Do you mean that even though I normally watch Jeopardy on the Paramount+ Live TV option, it will not be available tonight if the local CBS is preempting?

Sorry for being so dense. 

Edited by shapeshifter

It's on the Atlanta NBC affiliate, (broadcast channel 11) but they have a sister station (channel 36) that will air J! if NBC or the local channel preempts it for any reason. (Breaking news or, locally, some stupid pre-game show for a local team.)

I posted this in the guest host thread, but this belongs here too.

"There's no such thing as bad publicity" may be an old phrase, but somehow I think this is exactly the kind of publicity Jeopardy! absolutely DOES NOT want right now, or ever. And really: is anyone THAT surprised by this, if at all?

https://medium.com/@j.contestants.letter/a-letter-from-concerned-former-contestants-to-mike-richards-executive-producer-of-jeopardy-f2f8e2e53930

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Did you read that whole story?

Missed the last sentence. But still.....they should really up the prizes (and TPIR should increase the amount needed to win a double showcase)

• Love 1

They really should increase the prizes.  If you flew from the east coast, spent a couple of nights in a hotel, and came in third, the $1000 prize would evaporate fast.  Not to mention paying taxes on it.

• Love 4

I've been watching Pointless on Britbox and compared to that Jeopardy is practically princely. Losers get nothing and the winner gets a trophy*. If they manage to get a correct answer in the final round, they get whatever is in the jackpot. It starts at 2500 pounds. It accrues across episodes if no one wins it and the most it ever reached in the episodes I saw was 13,000. The winners don't get to come back, and few teams win the jackpot.

There's also a celebrity version where the winning team, who are playing for two different charities, can win a 2,500 pound jackpot. Which they split between them. If they lose the final round, the show donates 500 to the pair for them to split between their charities. So a whopping 250 pounds to Cure for Cancer or whatever.

*One of the many things I love about the Great British Bake Off is that the winner gets a lovely engraved cake stand. And that's it. There is the potential for more by getting a TV presenter gig or writing a cookbook, but the prizes for winning the bake off are the trophy, the honor of being the best in the tent that year, and public acclaim. That might be why it's so much more fun to watch than the greed-spurred contestants on most US game shows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Not sure where to post this... and now I lost the link.... oops! However, just saw that Buzzy Cohen will be hosting the tournament of champions. I noticed several contestants that I look forward to seeing again.

Wish they'd chosen Brad Rutter to host. Just sayin'.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Bliss said:

Head over to the Guest Host thread; we've been discussing the news about Buzzy hosting the ToC there, and several of us feel the same way.

• Love 1
On 4/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bliss said:

Do we even know if he's interested?  He barely seems comfortable being on The Chase, and that's a more structured job. 

I found that interview quite surprising.  Richards said they would evaluate candidates methodically and based on audience reactions, which makes sense.  But he also said the next host would probably come from one of the guest hosts that have been handling things these intervening months.  I am really surprised.  I thought the guest hosts were just placeholders and a chance to mix things up before they officially start the new season in the Fall.  I figured the new host would be someone we haven't seen before.

I have nothing against the guest hosts, but I don't particularly want any of them to get the permanent job.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Roaster said:

But he also said the next host would probably come from one of the guest hosts that have been handling things these intervening months.  I am really surprised.  I thought the guest hosts were just placeholders and a chance to mix things up before they officially start the new season in the Fall.  I figured the new host would be someone we haven't seen before.

I'm surprised, too; I figured they were talking with candidates with game show hosting experience, taking plenty of time to decide who will take over next season, and the guest host appearances were just fun placeholders to close out this season, not on-air auditions.

• Love 1

I wonder if we will get to vote somehow for the new host.  So far, my vote goes to Anderson Cooper. Although I always liked Buzzy for host, so we'll see how he does.

(edited)
56 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Here is an interesting NY Times article about the guest hosts.

Thanks! I missed it. Regarding:

Bill Whitaker and his wonderfully Trebecois mustache

“Trebecois” is a portmanteau of Québécois and Trebek, right? 

Anyway, I gloat a little every time someone or some publication of import describes Aaron Rodgers as I saw him (for my first time) as a Jeopardy guest host. Hopefully if Aaron Rodgers does find Alex’s mantle passed to rest upon his own shoulders he will be able to live up to Alex’s example of integrity. In today’s world of social media there is neither a closet to contain one’s skeletons nor a content editor of the internet to kill a story. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I've been seeing commercials for a The Connors episode where Jackie is on Jeopardy! with Aaron Rodgers hosting. Not sure when it will be on, if it's tomorrow's show or not. Just a heads up for Aaron fans.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've been seeing commercials for a The Connors episode where Jackie is on Jeopardy! with Aaron Rodgers hosting. Not sure when it will be on, if it's tomorrow's show or not. Just a heads up for Aaron fans.

The Conners is not my thing, so I'll probably just watch his bit, if at all. 
When I saw a preview ad of Aaron Rodgers bit as a Jeopardy host on The Conners' episode, it was not as cringe-inducing as Mayim's brain vitamin commercial, but it did make me cringe a little.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Roaster said:

But he also said the next host would probably come from one of the guest hosts that have been handling things these intervening months.  I am really surprised.  I thought the guest hosts were just placeholders and a chance to mix things up before they officially start the new season in the Fall. 

I think it's a bit of both.  There are some who likely have zero chance of being considered. But it would seem silly of them not to at least put potential hosts at the podium since they are doing guest hosts. And I felt that way from what I've read about the search so the interview aligns with that.

What I'd be curious to know is whether or not it's really an open audition or if this is all about making sure the pre-chosen successor can handle the job.

Edited by Irlandesa