Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

What I'd be curious to know is whether or not it's really an open audition or if this is all about making sure the pre-chosen successor can handle the job

This article at least gives a sense of the process of selecting the next host:

17 hours ago, Mario500 said:

Of course, processes tend to evolve and change with feedback loops etc.

I usually watch The Conners, though I wonder why I do. Anyway, saw the episode last night. Jackie does poorly, in the red for FJ. Aaron Rodgers was fine, like his guest host appearance. They showed the FJ category, something about cats, but we didn’t see the clue. 

(edited)

Aaron had two scenes. The first showed what Jeopardy actually aired (can't find that clip).

The second shows what happened off air

Edited by opus
  • LOL 1
(edited)

It was better than I expected. He was charming and I do appreciate Laurie Metcalf’s comedic timing  –– I just don’t care for most of her roles. But I did like her last line about being in handcuffs. LOL

ETA:   
As a librarian I’ve been part of many job interviews (on both sides of the table) in which the person interviewing for the job is asked how they would deal with a difficult person. 

I don’t know if “difficult contestant” is a thing on game shows like Jeopardy, but how great would it be for the job candidate to be able to answer that question by showing the interviewers an episode segment from a highly produced television series in which the job candidate had a guest role demonstrating exactly how coolly they would deal with a difficult contestant?

Wait. Isn’t that what Aaron Rodgers just did? LOL. Good for him! And it demonstrates that he understands how important image is on TV, especially for the next Jeopardy host. Bravo!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)

Chicago's WGN radio did an interview with Ken Jennings this morning. If my dogs hadn't woke me up, I would have missed it. Still, I only caught the past part. But, never fear, the entire interview is posted online here.

He does say next season starts taping this summer so the new host should be known soon.

ETA: Obviously, my dogs know I'm a Jeopardy fan because I was sound asleep, and when Ken's interview came on the radio, they started their morning "sing" and woke me up. "Who's a good dog?" "WE ARE!" they said!

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 6/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, saber5055 said:

Chicago's WGN radio did an interview with Ken Jennings this morning.

Thanks for that interesting interview link. Ken sounded very nervous during his introduction at his first episode hosting, something I didn't notice while watching but was evident just hearing his voice. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Jeopardy! won Outstanding Game Show and Alex Trebek won Outstanding Game Show Host at the Daytime Emmys.

"Two of Alex Trebek's children, Matt Trebek and Emily Trebek, reiterate their father's deep love for Jeopardy! and its viewers as they accept the award for Outstanding Game Show Host on his behalf."

edit: What the heck? The video was on CBS's official Youtube channel, so I'm not sure why it was removed. I'll leave it there in case it comes back somehow. Here's most of what his children said:

"For as long as we can remember, he was always so proud to be a part of 'Jeopardy!', to work on a show that was based on knowledge, risk and the challenge — people had to think," Trebek's son said. "He loved every bit of it."

"He was always excited to go to work even during his battle with cancer," his daughter added. "He was so fortunate that he was able to do what he loved and we know that he not once took it for granted."

from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeopardy-alex-trebek-wins-posthumous-daytime-emmy-host/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3b

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm crushed to find out that my local stations are not carrying it. They're carrying WoF but pre-empting J! for the Olympics.

Check to see if they are carrying it on a local channel....our local station told us that we can watch "Jeopardy" on MeTV

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm crushed to find out that my local stations are not carrying it. They're carrying WoF but pre-empting J! for the Olympics.

What BuckeyeLou said, and you could contact the station.  My usual station was going to preempt Jeopardy a while back, so I asked them to put it on their other station that usually airs sitcom reruns.  They must have received a lot of requests, because they did it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I contacted the station and they say they are airing it on another channel, the next day, at a different time. My listings don't reflect this, but I set up a manual record (it's in the middle of the afternoon instead of the early evening, I bet a lot of people will be at work and not able to watch it live). I hope it works. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I contacted the station and they say they are airing it on another channel, the next day, at a different time. My listings don't reflect this, but I set up a manual record (it's in the middle of the afternoon instead of the early evening, I bet a lot of people will be at work and not able to watch it live). I hope it works. 

Cool!
See also: 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Driad said:

Jeopardy.com has a "when to watch during the Olympics" page.  Just put in your zip code.

I tried that last night and it didn't have the correct information. Neither did the local station that usually carries the show here. I think they must have gotten a lot of calls and emails last night, because by this morning they had updated at least the local station's site, though my DirecTV listings still don't reflect the change.

Jeopardy champion Matt Amodio is now one of the top 10 highest-winning contestants ever!

https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-matt-amodio-top-10-highest-winning-contestants-ever/?did=657703-20210730&utm_campaign=ewk-tv_newsletter&utm_source=ew.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=073021&cid=657703&mid=63382813072

Lots of interesting comments that were also made here:

"Of course, as other Jeopardy contestants know, being a successful champion doesn't necessarily make you beloved by the show's fans. Some viewers have called Amodio "the most annoying contestant ever" due to his habit of saying "what's" for every response, rather than "who is" when naming a person. (Per the rules of Jeopardy, responses simply need to be phrased in the form of a question, regardless of the pronoun used.)"

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

From what I read (in the media), the next season of Jeopardy! starts six weeks from Monday.  They must be taping shows already.  Yet I can't find anything (in the media) about who the new host is.  They are apparently doing a good job keeping it a secret.  J! is always good about keeping who wins games confidential before they air so I guess the producers have experience at clamping down on news they don't want to leak.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

From what I read (in the media), the next season of Jeopardy! starts six weeks from Monday.  They must be taping shows already.  Yet I can't find anything (in the media) about who the new host is.  They are apparently doing a good job keeping it a secret.  J! is always good about keeping who wins games confidential before they air so I guess the producers have experience at clamping down on news they don't want to leak.

Would the new season shows with the "permanent" new host have taped before the ones we're seeing now? 
If this question doesn't make sense, my excuse is that I am suffering from a very painful root canal procedure, 

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Would the new season shows with the "permanent" new host have taped before the ones we're seeing now? 
If this question doesn't make sense, my excuse is that I am suffering from a very painful root canal procedure, 

FYI - Ibuprofen was invented as a dental pain reliever.

• Love 3

I do wonder why they gave him 5 shows instead of 10, when 10 was the norm. Maybe they thought he was terrible.

I also think that if they are already taping, before all the guest host hows have aired, then they made their decision without looking at the ratings, which surprises me.

(edited)
On 7/31/2021 at 4:20 PM, possibilities said:

I do wonder why they gave him 5 shows instead of 10, when 10 was the norm.

I have no idea why they scheduled as they did, but here's a list I made because I couldn't find one without a lot of text and pictures.

Ken Jennings hosted for 6 weeks.
The next 10 hosts each had 2 weeks.
The last 5 hosts each had 1 week.

• Ken Jennings: January 11 - February 19 (6 weeks)
  • Mike Richards: February 22 - March 5 (2 weeks)
  • Katie Couric: March 8 - March 19 (2 weeks)
  • Dr. Oz: March 22 - April 2 (2 weeks) 
  • Aaron Rodgers: April 5 - April 16 (2 weeks)
  • Anderson Cooper: April 19 - April 30 (2 weeks)
  • Bill Whitaker: May 3 - May 14 (2 weeks)
  • Buzzy Cohen: May 17 - May 28 (2 weeks)
  • Mayim Bialik: May 31 - June 11 (2 weeks)
  • Savannah Guthrie: June 14 - June 25 (2 weeks)
  • Dr. Sanjay Gupta: June 28 - July 9 (2 weeks)
  • George Stephanopoulos: July 12 - July 16 (1 week)
  • Robin Roberts: July 19 - July 23 (1 week)
  • LeVar Burton: July 26 - July 30 (1 week)
  • David Faber: August 2 - August 6 (1 week)
  • Joe Buck: August 9 - August 13 (1 week)
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, dbklmt said:

I don’t know.  I’m sure he was told when the article would run and didn’t address anything that happened after that date.  They are really good at keeping the results secret, and the episodes airing recently were taped a couple of months ago. But all runs do end eventually.

Nice guy though.  I like him and would not be sad if he is still champ when the next season starts.

• Love 3

I really think the "What's" helps him. There's such a thing as "decision fatigue" where the more you have to make decisions, the more energy it takes to make them. That tiny bit of an edge probably keeps him just a little less tired and lets him put every tiny bit of cognitive effort into dredging up the info he needs for each clue.

• Love 9

I just read online that Mike Richards in in negotiations to become the permanent host of Jeopardy.  Of course, official sources are denying this report but the temporary hosting gigs are ending soon and it is time to make the big decision.  I don't dislike Richards, but many people favor an "outsider" rather than promoting from within the Jeopardy organization.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sharwoods said:

Of course, official sources are denying this report

Do you have a link to any of the sources that deny the report that Richards in a sure thing? 
I ask because I'm hoping they exist. 🥺

• Love 5

I posted this link in the S37 thread in response to another member's post, but it makes more sense here. The Daily Beast has posted an article on the sexual harassment lawsuits against Mike Richards. To this point, I had seen coverage only on entertainment oriented sites. The TDB coverage moves it to the political arena. Not a good look for the game show that has stood above all the rest for decades. I believe they'll have to re-think this decision. 

Jeopardy!’ Host Frontrunner Mike Richards’ Alleged History of Harassment, Discrimination

Edited to add: @shapeshifter, in answer to your question just above, here's a sourced quote from this article:

a source told The Daily Beast that discussions with potential hosts remain ongoing.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Edited to add: @shapeshifter, in answer to your question just above, here's a sourced quote from this article:

"a source told The Daily Beast that discussions with potential hosts remain ongoing."

Thanks. 
About the author of the article from yesterday: 

Laura Bradley is a New York-based entertainment reporter for The Daily Beast. She holds a master’s degree in journalism from Northwestern University and has previously written for Vanity Fair and Slate with a focus on television.

If I ever get around to populating the blog a daughter set up for me, maybe I'll call it "A Source," just to mess with hundreds of years of free press.

I wonder if there's any chance the "in negotiations" info was dropped as a means of testing the public reaction?

• Love 1

The original article regarding "advanced negotiations" with Mike Richards was published in Variety on 08/04/21, but I noticed that the following day the same source revealed the nature of the past sexual discrimination lawsuits against Richards that could derail his chances of acquiring the Jeopardy hosting gig.   

• Useful 1