Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

I have absolutely no desire for Ken Jennings to be joining Jeopardy! as a producer or anything else. I think it's obvious, now, that they're greasing the skids for Jennings to replace Alex Trebek as host when the day comes. I'll be a former-fan before I ever watch an episode where he's the host. He's a little too obnoxious and impressed with himself for me.

In fact, I might be a former-fan next week depending on how much Jennings is actually on my TV screen.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 1

I will also be out if Ken Jennings takes over.  After watching pretty much every single episode since Alex hosted, plus many back in the days of Art Fleming.

I understand that I tend to be in the minority of forum posters as well as Hollywood types in that I am conservative. I don't understand why stars can't keep their opinions to themselves.  We KNOW they are all liberals (and don't care one way or the other) but honestly, it's just a quiz show.  Nobody cares about their opinions and we certainly don't need to be reminded that they think we're morons.  I have read enough rude, smug Twitter comments from Ken Jennings to know that I will not watch him.  We get it Ken, you're at the cool kids table for the first time in your life, but remember, conservatives watch TV too.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, saber5055 said:

Agree. He's also talented with a burn. His Twitter posts are a bright spot in my day.

I’ve never run into him, but know plenty of people who have, here in Seattle, and everyone who has met him in the streets or shops is lit by the enjoyment of talking with him.  He comes across as very genuine.  

On 9/4/2020 at 4:16 PM, Tabasco Cat said:

He's a little too obnoxious and impressed with himself for me.

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Someone has to take the place of Alex when the unfortunately inevitable event occurs. I’d be fine with Ken. I pay no attention to him outside of his Jeopardy appearances so he doesn’t bother me. I’d prefer him over some other random celebrity personality that has no ties to Jeopardy. 

• Love 2

FanDuel has a whole series of commercials featuring various sports figures mysteriously appearing in people's houses while they're using the app.  One of them has a football linebacker showing up to tackle the guy, another has someone sitting on his couch eating all of his food.  Strange and vaguely creepy seems to be the whole point of the campaign, so the James appearance fits right in.

I watch the Chase on the Game Show Network (I think of it as my Jeopardy warm up) with Mark Labbett as the Beast who usually stamps out his opponents. I saw James H. when he did that show and beat the beast. I like the premise, but am not sure about this new version. I’ll check it out. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I watch the Chase on the Game Show Network

I'd never heard of The Chase until the chat here that James had been on it. I'm looking forward to it. Game shows seem to be my tv staple these days since other shows I used to watch are out of production. With Ken, Brad and that other guy, this should be good smart fun.

• Love 1

Just finished Alex’s autobiography. Apparently I was first on the hold list at my library. I don’t know for sure but it sounds like he didn’t have a ghost writer. I enjoyed it - a good mix of sincere reminiscencing (is that a word?) with just a touch of “shut up Trebek !”

*Reminiscing.  That’s a word. Right? Brain = mush today. No idea why. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just finished Alex’s autobiography

"Good for you." —TM Alex Trebek

Just kidding. Good to know the book is enjoyable, and yes, the reminiscing would be fun to read. Thanks for the report.

• Love 3

Not sure if it should go here, in the main season thread, or have a thread of its own, but the Jeopardy twitter feed tweeted a few minutes ago that Alex Trebek passed away early this morning.

RIP, Alex.

Damn it. I am way behind on watching my recorded episodes but thought he looked so good. I was so hoping he could somehow beat this. Damn it. 

What an emotional roller coaster this week has been. From crying tears of happiness yesterday to tears of sorrow today.

Rest in peace, Alex.

• Love 1

Like so many others, my first thought on hearing the news was to come here.  He was a consummate professional on all his shows (I watched a lot of GSN and Buzzr during this past year) and while no one is perfect, viewers could see he always tried to do his best.  I am old enough to remember Art Fleming and I know I will adjust over time to any new host but Alex is the one I watched for so long with Mother Grundoon and he will always be special.  I hope his family takes comfort from knowing he has millions of fans who to some small degree share in their loss and grief.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

This man was an icon. I don’t envy his replacement.

Thanks, 2020. Its like you saw how happy everyone was yesterday and figured you’d stick it to us once last time.

"One last time"? You think this is last time 2020 sticks it to us. You sweet summer child...

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

Sean Connery and now Alex Trebek within a week of each other. Saturday Night Live spoofed Jeopardy! more than once with Will Feral and Darrell Hammond imitating Trebek and Connery respectively. A strange coincidence... the two real people being spoofed both passed away so close together. Damn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

They have scheduled two weeks of reruns beginning December 21 and have moved Alex’s final week of shows to the week of January 4th.

Edited by CVC
Misspelling
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I saw a commercial for The Chase the other night. James was wearing a suit for the first time ever. I think Ken probably had to tie his tie for him. Handsome Brad was sporting a bow tie. And Ken, his usual suit. Did Ken ever not wear a suit during his 70+ run?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I saw a commercial for The Chase the other night. James was wearing a suit for the first time ever. I think Ken probably had to tie his tie for him. Handsome Brad was sporting a bow tie. And Ken, his usual suit. Did Ken ever not wear a suit during his 70+ run?

I think he wore suits the whole time, but yet, I seem to envision him n a LaCoste/Izod shirt. Perhaps that was later.  During his run, I always wondered if he ever repeated the styles of writing his name and how did he keep track? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

They have scheduled two weeks of reruns beginning December 21 and have moved Alex’s final week of shows to the week of January 4th.

This is probably better because many people will be too busy to watch or remember to watch on Christmas, though I had visions of crying in front of my whole family.

Not a fan of Ken Jennings and while I will watch his 2 weeks (or whatever) of guest hosting shows, if he is named the permanent replacement I will probably stop watching.  Though given the cancellers have found a couple of problematic tweets, this could be up in the air.

• Love 4

There's a segment on J! on today's Decades network show, Through the Decades. It's actually about Nov. 30 being the anniversary of Ken Jennings' loss in his 75th game, but it's about the show as well, with some old clips. Runs again tonight at 8 p.m. Eastern. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

There's a segment on J! on today's Decades network show, Through the Decades. It's actually about Nov. 30 being the anniversary of Ken Jennings' loss in his 75th game, but it's about the show as well, with some old clips. Runs again tonight at 8 p.m. Eastern. 

About a week ago, I read the section in Alex's book about Ken, and took notice of his impressions of Ken's run... and Alex's thoughts about the final game when Ken answered "What is Fedex" instead of H&R Block.

Flipping through the unwatched shows on my pvr, I noticed Ken's last game was there (during the Covid lockdown, J! aired a bunch of shows from the vault which I've stored on my pvr), so I watched it. Now for a confession: for some reason, I missed the Ken run... I think I was doing home renovations and becoming a new Nana at the time - not an excuse, just a fact of life. Sometimes, tv watching isn't a priority for me. e.g., I actually missed 4 years of tv back in the 70's when mine broke, and being a new mom I didn't have time for tv anyway!

To put it another way, I'm not a longstanding member of the KFC = Ken Fan Club. I don't dislike him - I'm just not a huge fan like many of you are, and I'd much rather see someone else host J!, especially a youngish, talented, witty woman... preferably easy on the eyes and ears. (They haven't asked me yet. LOL)

When the GOAT tournament ran, I thoroughly enjoyed the James/Ken/Brad battle and truly didn't care who won. However, I'd have preferred either James or Brad to win over Ken because I'd watched their J! sessions and knew them better. This may not make sense to anyone other than me!

What I noticed most about Ken's 75th show was Alex's voice. It was his usual strong, peppy, quirky, sometimes sarcastic yet always smiling enunciation. Right afterwards, I watched a current show and heard his Thanksgiving message. I just lost it. 💔

• Love 4

I had never heard of Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter, nor did I see any of their games. Jeopardy airs at 4:30 p.m. here, and I worked until 5. When we got flex time, I left work at 4 and was able to listen to Jeopardy on my car radio on the one-hour drive home. Who knows who the players were, I listened for the clues/answers only. The one and only time I heard about Jennings was on a day off when I was at a friend's house. At 4:30 she INSISTED we watch Jeopardy because some guy was on some hot winning streak and she had to watch. I guess that guy was Ken.

I have no idea when Brad was on.

Now that I work at home, I did see James' entire run and let's just say that out of the three in the GOAT tournament, he was my choice for third place.

I do follow Ken on Twitter and find him clever, insightful and a lot of fun, and with a self-deprecating sense of humor. Much of it goes over my head, but that's why he's Ken Jennings and I am not. Once he replied to one of my posts and I about had a fangurl heart attack.

As for the new host, I pity anyone who will be taking Alex's place. They will be raked online, which is why I won't go into the Alex's Replacement thread. Too much hate and vitriol. I will support whomever the show chooses as new host, because that is what Alex Trebek wanted. Plus it's not about what I want, it's that "the show must go on," and I trust TPTB to make that happen in the way that's best for them.

Geesh, happy NOT happy anniversary to Ken today, I guess.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
On 11/24/2020 at 9:41 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

During his run, I always wondered if he ever repeated the styles of writing his name and how did he keep track? 

I thought of you when I came across this in Mr. Jennings' twitter yesterday. I couldn't download or find the gif, so here is the link. If you watch long enough, "something different" will pop in.

• Love 1