Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Matt seems very kind and level-headed. 

https://www.newsweek.com/matt-amodio-romance-jeopardy-1639057

I appreciate his description of what was happening with him during the last game, which many wanted to know, and which a lesser player would not have been so candid about:

...The day I lost, I went in feeling a little "off" physically, but I had felt worse before and then won with no problem, so I didn't think anything of it. Then, I gradually saw that I wasn't remembering things that I really should have been able to remember, and I was mis-reading clues in front of me. As that was happening, I began to see where the path ahead of me was leading. I'm quite pleased with how I kept steady throughout. I don't think my emotions or confidence played that much into it, what I did feel was that there was evidence that my mind wasn't working at full capacity....

So, basically, during the game Matt lost, his brain was working the way mine typically does these days, heh.

BTW, I could not read the article in my usual browser (Chrome), but when I copied the link into the Edge browser, Newsweek said I still have 4 free articles left for the month.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Matt was on CNBC this morning with David Faber and Jim Cramer.  He was gracious as always.  He plans to finish his PhD by the end of this school year and will look for a job as a professor.  They talked about investing his winnings, and he says he wants to invest for the long term in fairly safe funds and bonds.  He isn't planning on touching any of it right now.  

Cramer was like a fangirl talking about his run on Jeopardy and how it got his daughters watching every night.  It was pretty funny.

The CNBC interview with David Faber and Jim Cramer is online now: 
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/10/14/jeopardy-champ-matt-amodio-on-whats-next-after-1-point-5-million-win.html

• Love 4

Dates for the J! College Tournament (Feb, opposite the Winter Olympics). It looks like this one will be prime-time. The previously mentioned Professors Tournament, although originally seemed to indicate prime-time, looks to be during the regular slot (starts Monday, so Friday's champ (Dec 3), whoever that may be, will have to wait two weeks to continue. Thus, Professors Tourney will still count in the contest, whereas the College Tourney will not. https://tvline.com/2021/12/02/american-idol-jeopardy-college-championship-premiere-date-abc/

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

A Note From Jeopardy! EP Michael Davies

Short excerpt. This is the final paragraph from the linked piece. 

Finally, I never forget that, at root, we wouldn’t be here without the loyalty and passion of our fans and viewers. This note is for you, and I really hope you enjoy it. Please send your feedback to me and the team here. This is the first of many initiatives to bring you more access to the show we all love. And as with everything else on “Jeopardy!,” we want to get it right. And in time, with your help, I know we will.

• Useful 5
On 12/10/2021 at 12:43 PM, ProudMary said:

Short excerpt. This is the final paragraph from the linked piece.

There's also a good little chart comparing Matt and Amy's runs up to the 13th episode.

A question:  If Amy's run were to go up to the TOC, does she still appear in it?  Or would they push her off to the next season?

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

There's also a good little chart comparing Matt and Amy's runs up to the 13th episode.

A question:  If Amy's run were to go up to the TOC, does she still appear in it?  Or would they push her off to the next season?

Good question! I think they would push her off to the next season and just let her run continue. JMO, of course.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

7 minutes ago, Trey said:

Good question! I think they would push her off to the next season and just let her run continue. JMO, of course.

Agreed - I'm pretty sure you're not eligible for TOC until your run is over.  But that's just something I vaguely remember, I don't have a source for it.

• Love 3

I think last year there was a champ who lost not long past the cutoff date (because Ken mentioned it and that's how I discovered that the cutoff date was in January (not near the end of the season as I thought)) and Ken said "see you at the next TOC" (meaning this year's).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I think last year there was a champ who lost not long past the cutoff date (because Ken mentioned it and that's how I discovered that the cutoff date was in January (not near the end of the season as I thought)) and Ken said "see you at the next TOC" (meaning this year's).

I can't find the reference but I was under the impression that the cutoff is flexible depending on the number of 5+ day champions accumulated since the last cutoff. Too many long runs could in theory prevent them from getting 15 contestants in one season. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Copyright issue rather than censorship according to Amy:

🤷‍♀️
Amy is a classy person who is better at picking which hill to die on than most, IMO.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wouldn't mind Martin as host!  But I wouldn't want to take him away from his other endeavors.  As a contestant, I think he'd clean the clocks of the other two, whomever they are.

I think he'd be perfect giving clues in a category about film, SNL, banjos...😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Poor Amy.. This is awful. 

Screenshot_20220103-233737_Twitter.jpg

Not gonna lie, I saw the headline saying she was robbed and initially panicked that they meant she was unfairly robbed of a win and lost.

Glad she is okay though - that is awful. I hope she wasn't targeted due to her Jeopardy fame, and it was just a random thing.

And I will choose to interpret her "if I keep winning" as "I will keep winning".

• Love 6
16 hours ago, secnarf said:

I hope she wasn't targeted due to her Jeopardy fame, and it was just a random thing.

It's certainly possible she was targeted, but there has been a lot of trouble around Lake Merritt recently.  My walking path from a movie theater and piano bar I like to visit back to the train takes me within two blocks of where Amy was attacked.  I would have described it as somewhere you want to be alert, especially after nightfall, and where you might encounter quality-of-life nuisances, but not overtly dangerous.  Then came at least 4 or 5 shootings that I can recall since this summer, plus an increase in other crime.  There is definitely something wrong there that needs to be addressed.  Where Amy was walking is just off the main drag and therefore possibly more isolated.  It's terrible this happened once, but I just hope she doesn't have to worry about repeated targeted acts against her.  Hopefully this was just a one-time crime of opportunity (that seems so odd to say!).

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 1/4/2022 at 7:54 PM, secnarf said:

And I will choose to interpret her "if I keep winning" as "I will keep winning".

I hope so! I know she is required to be ambiguous, so I read nothing into that. 

I do wonder if she was still playing at the time of this incident. Because something like that could really throw a person off their game… ☹️

• Love 1

I’m glad Amy wasn’t hurt.  Oakland is kind of dangerous these days.  My son and his wife recently moved away from that area.  My daughter-in-law worked at a store and used to go in early (4am) to unload the new merchandise.  In a little over a year she had her back window smashed while she was at work, and one of her co-workers was almost robbed by some armed kids.  She told me that when she was driving in early if there were no other cars she would not stop at red lights, just slow down.  I must admit I was relieved he got a transfer to Washington State. 

• Love 1

Any posters who have ever grown weary of winning streaks on the show might me especially interested in this NY Times article that came out Sunday "‘Jeopardy!’ Keeps Seeing Winning Streaks. Champions Ponder Why" (nytimes.com/2022/01/09/arts/television/jeopardy-streaks-amy-schneider.html). 

The use of the internet to prepare was discussed, but not stats about the growth of Internet use and the ubiquitousness of smart phones, or the advances of search engine's (Google) algorithms.

An interesting point by Holzhauer, who should have a sense of Jeopardy!'s statistical probabilities: “People always assume everything is a paradigm shift...when it’s actually fairly normal for results to occasionally cluster.”

A few more bits:

...Since “Jeopardy!” got rid of a rule in 2003 that had limited contestants to no more than five wins in a row, only a dozen contestants have managed to win 10 or more games in a row. Half of the dozen, or six streaks, have occurred in the past five years, while half of those six have been this season....

...“I actually think the show may be getting harder,” [EP] Davies wrote, noting that the subject matter covers an ever-wider range of material. “Let’s face it, so few people read the same books anymore or watch the same TV shows. And we have massively diversified the history, cultural and pop cultural material we expect our players to compete over.”

...Asked if it was possible for the show to try to engineer streaks by, say, pitting champions against weaker opponents, Davies said, “I can assure you that that isn’t the case.”

He said that a diverse pool of contestants is selected for every taping and that an outside compliance agency randomly selects which games they will play in and in which order....

If anyone has trouble getting the full article (I've quoted 10-15%), I have 10 free "gift" articles to share per month, which I have rarely used, so message me if you want to read the rest.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

The first 3 minutes of this week's Hidden Brain podcast, "Choose Carefully," relives the moment when Ken Jennings lost in 2004: https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/choose-carefully/

Here's the transcript of that portion:

Shankar Vedantam: This is Hidden Brain, I'm Shankar Vedantam. It was November, 2004. Jeopardy Champion, Ken Jennings kept winning and winning and winning.

Alex Trebek: He now has $1,004,960.

Shankar Vedantam: His streak seemed unbreakable.

Alex Trebek: And now, a total of $2,006,300.

Shankar Vedantam: With Christmas approaching on his 75th appearance on the show, the champion seemed likely to win yet again. It was Final Jeopardy, the last challenge of the episode. If Ken got this one answer right, the streak would continue. Host Alex Trebek presented the question.

Alex Trebek: The category is business and industry and here is the clue, ladies and gentlemen. Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white color employees work only four months a year. 30 seconds, good luck.

Shankar Vedantam: Columbia University psychologist, Eric Johnson describes what happened next.

Eric Johnson: So, Jennings thought and thought it must be seasonal, it must be something about Christmas. So, he was thinking maybe it's like someone who does delivery like FedEx or maybe it's people who put up sidewalk centers like Salvation Army.

Shankar Vedantam: The other contestant with a chance to win, Nancy Zerg, went in a different direction. She picked the tax preparation company, H&R Block, which hires a lot of accountants each year come tax season.

Alex Trebek: Nancy, you wrote down your response rather quickly, I thought. I hope it's correct. Let's take a look.

Nancy Zerg: I hope so too.

Alex Trebek: What is H&R Block? You're right, your wager, 4401 taking you up to 14,401, you have a $1 lead over Ken Jennings right now. And his final response was FedEx. His wager was 5601. He winds up in second place with 8790 and Nancy Zerg, congratulations. You are indeed a giant killer, our new Jeopardy Champion, 14,401. Ken, take a look at the audience.

Shankar Vedantam: Ken Jennings knew that H&R Block hired lots of white collar workers during tax preparation season. It's just that once his mind gravitated to companies that were especially active around Christmas, he couldn't pull himself out of that mental groove.

Eric Johnson: And he claims later on, there was absolutely no way that came to his mind, he was just blocked by his initial thoughts. This is something psychologists call inhibition, that when you think about one thing you can't think about the other.

Shankar Vedantam: This week on Hidden Brain, how our minds can be influenced by the way options are presented to us and how we can make choices more wisely....

• Useful 1
  • Love 4