Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: Battle Lines are Drawn

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Another really fakity-fake scene: The "ex-anniversary party!!!!" First of all, who does that? Oh right- Christine, who hopes to stay relevant at least a little longer to squeeze some $ off TLC. She really over-acted this episode, between the family dinner (where everyone sat on one side of the table) where she acted as if she knew nothing about the Kody/kids rife; and this scene, where she supposedly had these ride-or-die women friends who, if the timeline is correct, she got to know planning a graduation party for Ysabel- who graduated mere months before she left Flagstaff? And the "friends"- especially the one who acted as if she knew NOTHING about the Browns ("now, there are what- 2 other wives? What are their names?") You know they all were so happy to get on TV and play-act the besties! I got a huge kick out of Janelle just sitting at the table shoveling in her dessert while they all talked about Christine's failed marriage. She looked like I know I'd feel being the extra who knows no one there. Ugh. Introvert's nightmare.

And Christine, just because you are delighted to be divorced! It's wonderful! Yay! It's not cool to be encouraging others to go for it. Stop already.

Speaking of wanting to be relevant- now that Meri is on her way out and is (finally!) seeing the writing on the wall, we are treated to her fun shenanigans with Jen and Jen's husband at Lizzie's. What a yawn. I guess since she doesn't interact with any of the other wives (with the exception of an occasional backyard conversation with Robyn) we need to see her do SOMETHING, so we get a snippet of Mr. Jen's underwear waistband and him putting screws into something. Bo-ring.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

I itch for scissors especially for the two dangly clumps in front.  Actually clippers would be better than scissors.

Scissors, clippers or just yanking it out.  It needs to go!  

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, onatrek said:

I suspect, especially for Meri, the issue is they want someone else for her to film with to "process" or progress her storyline with or even just do other filming with. 

If she can't with her child, and she's really not in active relationship with anyone else in the Brown family (beyond the brief stuff with K/R), plus with her mom gone, they would only have her alone in talking head scenes really or alone going about some activity and fully narrating to herself.

So basically, she's "hopeful" that the money train will continue?

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Orcinus orca said:

Those Dolly Dingle curls don't come naturally....

I thought Robyn taught him the curly girl method? In the only moment of good parenting towards Truly that I can remember he offered to spend time with her and do her hair and explained how Robyn taught him about soaking his hair, putting in the product and creating and scrunching the curls etc.

He's bleaching it to hide the greys but I think he comes by those curls naturally. 

• Like 2

Late to the party, watching now after reading every comment. Gabe, Garrison, Gwen and Savannah are wise beyond their years. The three G's could barely contain their emotions. Love what Garrison said- "we won't chase you". Kody, you are sorry excuse for a man, a father, a human being. You don't deserve your 13 OG kids. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 3
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, BAForever said:

Late to the party, watching now after reading every comment. Gabe, Garrison, Gwen and Savannah are wise beyond their years. The three G's could barely contain their emotions. Love what Garrison said- "we won't chase you". Kody, you are sorry excuse for a man, a father, a human being. You don't deserve your 13 OG kids. 

When I watched that scene at the dinner table, I thought how much more mature the G’s were than their father. However, seeing Gabe ‘s face and Gwen holding back tears made me sad. No matter how big of a jerk their father is, he’s the only one they have.

My father died last year (aged 88) and even though I am an older adult, sometimes I wish I could still talk to him, ask him things, etc. We argued many times during my teens and twenties— often disagreeing on many issues including politics and religion. However, he always let me express myself, as long as I was respectful. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 11
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

It amazes me that all but three people in the world thinks he looks ridiculous.  But he, Robyn, and his (paid) hairdresser like it, so it stays.

Well Robyn does have terrible taste.  Too bad he listens to her.  The hairdresser is just getting a payday HA!.  Doubt that douche tips well.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Well Robyn does have terrible taste.  Too bad he listens to her.  The hairdresser is just getting a payday HA!.  Doubt that douche tips well.

Between his hair and her eye brows, they're a double hot buttered Glamour Don't mess

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 15

God knows I am in no position to judge other people based on looks. (For years, I ran an in-home daycare and one of the kids once told me that my mouth is a rainbow, lol, so I got nothing to say about Robyn's down-turned mouth.) However, what Robyn does with her eyebrows is a choice. A confusing, perplexing choice. It's so strange to me that she looks in the mirror and is like yeah, this is what I'm going for! IMHO she was so much more attractive when she looked more natural and it's weird to me that she sees the current eyebrow situation as an upgrade. 

Edited by waterytart
  • Like 13
  • LOL 6

So what comes next?  I don't think more years of this family feud will last.

I think they are trying Robyns kids to carry the show without any success.

A new wife would never fit into Robyns plan.

I really thought the show would die with the divorce but here we are commenting even more on every episode!

Amazing!

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I really thought the show would die with the divorce but here we are commenting even more on every episode!

Amazing!

I think now comes asking all the questions that have never been talked about.  Really getting down to the dirt.  This show is still earning money for TLC, it's either 1-3 has their highest ranking show.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
20 hours ago, Adiba said:

When I watched that scene at the dinner table, I thought how much more mature the G’s were than their father. However, seeing Gabe ‘s face and Gwen holding back tears made me sad. No matter how big of a jerk their father is, he’s the only one they have.

My father died last year (aged 88) and even though I am an older adult, sometimes I wish I could still talk to him, ask him things, etc. We argued many times during my teens and twenties— often disagreeing on many issues including politics and religion. However, he always let me express myself, as long as I was respectful. 

I am sorry for the loss of your father. Every child deserves parents that love them, respect them, encourage them to be their best selves. No one has perfect parents (least of all me), but when you are lucky enough to have a Dad like you had their loss cuts so deeply but you can be comforted by the memories.

Kody is a dip shit- I think the kids are better off without him, IF that is what they want. I would never judge a child for wanting a loving relationship with a parent, we are biologically hardwired to follow our first caregivers. I just dont want them to twist themselves in knots for someone who doesnt give two shits about them. However they feel about their father, I want them to know it's NOT a reflection on them at all. At least they have loving Moms (not that its the same, but if you have ONE amazing parent that you are close to, you have someone, versus not having any parental relationships).

• Like 6
  • Love 5
On 10/16/2023 at 8:30 AM, altopower said:

Maybe because the youngest 2 siblings are still minors and their mom would be shopping for them to find gifts?  Thinking as Robyn, mind you, which hurts my head and heart.

Well, there you do have a valid point. However, Robyn could have just hung back until the names were drawn (or whatever method of choosing was finished ), and then gotten involved, perhaps to gain insight as to what might be desireable gifts.

Other than that, she should have just butted out.

• Like 16
On 10/16/2023 at 12:40 PM, General Days said:

Possibly, but I do think Kody was supportive off-camera, as well as on, when Leon (who was then still publicly identifying by their birth name) came out as gay. I think he was supportive off-camera, because he and Leon seemed to continue to have decent conversations. He was glad they got engaged to Audrey. They talked on the phone about Covid, when Leon and Audrey were quarantining there after leaving Chicago, but before they went to Parowan to help out Grandma Bonnie with the B&B. 

That is to say, I wouldn't think Kody who accepted Leon as gay would get his panties in a bunch about Gwen being bi.

Whatever it was, it's just one more conversation on this show that feels like it was actually code for some other conversation.

And I get it. I get that the family has no incentive to share their darkest moments that managed to escape the camera, but so don't allude to them, Browns. Ugh. they just drive me nuts.

In this one instance, on this topic, I wholeheartedly agree with Kody. At least he has something right.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I think now comes asking all the questions that have never been talked about.  Really getting down to the dirt.  This show is still earning money for TLC, it's either 1-3 has their highest ranking show.

I agree, and that’s why Christine is welcome on my screen as much as she wants.  She’s even getting Janelle to open up.  I’m loving it. The truth is finally being revealed and good for her for making money. Christine and Janelle raised some very good kids/adults.  My heart breaks for how their dad dumped them, but they are better off without him in their lives.

I can’t remember where I read it, but did Christine really throw Paedon out?

• Like 5
8 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

It depends on how you look at it. When they were going to move to Arizona Christine said he’d have to find a place to live. He has said he’s grateful for that.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

It depends on how you look at it. When they were going to move to Arizona Christine said he’d have to find a place to live. He has said he’s grateful for that.

Was he 18 and not in college?  Christine had a policy at one time that the kids were to move out at that stage.    Did Paedon even want to follow them to Arizona?  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Did Paedon even want to follow them to Arizona?  

Not a clue. He moved to Utah and joined the National Guard. First he lived in Saint George, then he moved to Salt Lake.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
On 10/18/2023 at 10:50 PM, General Days said:

I actually think it is grotesque that the child "performers" (because that is what they are, whether or not the industry or the law recognize them as such) don't get some sort of guaranteed salary for their contributions to reality TV series, the way child actors do, so I'm not going to criticize these kids for "making bank" on the show that exploited their childhoods.

This part I can wholeheartedly agree with.  I think some of them will regret being so public in the future, but they should make bank off of this while they can.  My problem with Mykelti is that sometimes her motivation seems to be to stick it to her mother.  She has said things that make me think she still carries a grudge that Christine didn't immediately turn handsprings when she brought Tony home and announced they were engaged.  I get it in one way because Christine was so over the moon about Maddie getting married, but on the other hand any parent would be reserved on meeting a total stranger that their child had decided to marry.

• Like 7
On 10/21/2023 at 5:36 AM, Jeanne222 said:

Amazing!

I wonder if she could be persuaded in order to keep the show going?  You know we would all tune in to see that!

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
22 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

11 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Was he 18 and not in college?  Christine had a policy at one time that the kids were to move out at that stage.    Did Paedon even want to follow them to Arizona?  

As I recall, when Kody, Robyn, Janelle, Meri, and the minor kids moved from Las Vegas to Flagstaff, Paedon was waiting to go to basic training, so he didn't move with them, because he didn't see the sense.

9 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

This part I can wholeheartedly agree with.  I think some of them will regret being so public in the future, but they should make bank off of this while they can.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you that some of them will regret it.

(I don't think Mykelti is trying to stick it to her mom, though. I think she's just trying to please all sides.)

• Like 3

Last night I watched the More to Love version of this episode (well, fast-forwarded through all the old stuff and watched the bonus scenes).

There is a big discussion about the term "gaslighting." Christine really doesn't know what it means, and kind of shuts down whenever she hears it being thrown around (you and me both, girl - for different reasons).

Savannah and Gwendolyn - who both want to be psychiatrists in the future (revealed in a previous bonus scene) - attempt to explain it to her. I will give Savannah a pass on this one because she is still in high school, and I think her definition of gaslighting is what most teens probably think. Gwen though, being in college and on her way to becoming Dr. Gwendolyn Night Hawk (a whole other discussion in the previous bonus scene 🙄), almost seems to have a worse understanding.

Savannah says something along the lines of, "If I went to Gwen and told her that what she did really hurt my feelings, and Gwendolyn says 'it's your fault for getting your feelings hurt, not my fault for hurting them.' That's gaslighting" And Gwendolyn states that it's like someone saying, "you're gaslighting me," and the other person says there is no such thing as gaslighting... well, that is gaslighting. 🤦‍♀️

At the beginning of all this, Gabe starts to talk at the same time as Savannah, but Christine cuts him off and says she wants to hear Savannah's explanation. From the few words that Gabe got out, it sounds like he knew the true definition. Christine should have just let him talk - he is, Christine admits, the smartest of them all (also in the previous bonus scene).

On another note, Christine made more than a salad bar for dinner! There was also a pot roast and mac & cheese.

Tl;dr. After dinner, they should have a movie night at Garrison's house and watch the 1944 movie, Gaslight.

Edited by juicyfruit
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Useful 6

Keep dreaming Gwen.  Does she realize to be a psychiatrist, she has to become a medical doctor, to do that she has to get into med school and part of that is passing organic chemistry?  Unless Gwen has been hiding her capabilities, I don't think is going to work out.  

• Like 9
14 minutes ago, General Days said:

Doesn't Gwendlyn want to be a psychologist, not a psychiatrist?

Also, I think Savanah has some science related major, but I don't remember it being psychiatry. 

A lot changes in almost 2 years. 🧐

• Like 4

Savanah is 18.  She has less than a semester of college right now, right?  

I was going on the post above.  I'm barely making it through the episodes.  I doubt I'll go fishing for bonus scenes.  Whoever thought of that trick to get more viewers needs to be hung over a waterfall by their ankles.  (figuratively of course)

• Like 2
  • LOL 4