Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E02: Biscuit Week

• Start Topic

It's Biscuit Week and the bakers get stuck into a marshmallow-based Signature challenge, before cracking on with a custard classic in the Technical. Finally, in an illusion-themed Showstopper, the bakers make their favourite meal out of biscuits.

UK Original Air Date: October 3, 2023.

US Netflix Date: October 6, 2023.

The "food illusion" challenge is my least favorite in any baking show. I do not want my dessert to look like a pizza or a hamburger. Having said that, these eliminations are rough. It clearly meant so much to him, and last week's gent too. 

I loved Paul admitting he could barely even function after having to eat so many cookies. 

• Like 9

These biscuit challenge were tough but everything looked so delicious. 
I like everyone so much it’s sad when someone goes home. Poor Keith did so well last week. I think if Nicky hadn’t done so well in the second challenge it would have been her going home. Tasha won, good for her! 

• Like 5

Only two episodes in and this is already a better season than the past few. The return to "basics," Matt leaving, and Allison as a new host are working well. I'm glad they paid attention that the changes to try to make it more "flashy"(?) weren't working and were smart enough to change it back. Just because you've been doing it a certain way for a long time doesn't mean its bad. 

This show works in large part because it is so comfortable -- trying to make it more "edgy" by adding the ridiculous challenges was awkward and uncomfortable. 

I love all of these competitors -- this is going to be a rough season of goodbyes! 

• Like 24
22 hours ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

I love all of these competitors -- this is going to be a rough season of goodbyes! 

It occurs to me that I can't remember there ever being a contestant I disliked. They manage to find the most affable people. Perhaps bakers by nature are just nice.

I want to say an hour and a half was too short for the technical, since most of the entries were judged as underbaked or underchilled. But Dan and Abbi managed to pull it off. I don't know, my biggest gripe about this show is that speed is not an indicator of baking prowess, nor a criteria for being a good baker. It's a strange thing to judge.

Josh's showstopper was a work of art. So glad he got the handshake after all, I was kind of pissed when he walked away without one.

I think Nicky is circling the drain. Saku seems to have slipped a bit this week as well.

Edited by iMonrey
Abbie not Tasha
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I want to say an hour and a half was too short for the technical, since most of the entries were judged as underbaked or underchilled. But Dan and Tasha managed to pull it off.

Tasha was eighth in the technical. I think you meab Abbi, who was second after Dan.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Josh's showstopper was a work of art. So glad he got the handshake after all, I was kind of pissed when he walked away without one.

Handshakes are pretty unusual in the showstopper, haven't there only been a couple? I know when he gave one to Rahul, that was the first. 

Overall, I thought the showstopper was a good challenge. The illusion seems like it requires a bit more than, say, making a biscuit board game, but it's far less ridiculous than having them make self-supporting biscuit mobiles, where there's as much concern on the contestants' part for engineering as for baking. This was all about the bakes and the looks.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

This is a lovely bunch of bakers.  Even in these early episodes when I don’t have all the names straight yet, it’s been sad to see any of them leave.  So far they’re laying off the insane engineering challenges and I hope to the baking gods it stays that way.  

I really like Alison, she’s great with the bakers and she fits in well with Noel.  

• Like 23

Another lovely episode. Every baker is good. Every baker is likable, some lovable. 

I'm very sad to see Keith go, more so than I was Amos. I really liked his sense of humor, and he apparently had great flavors, just unattractive bakes. I did get irritated with Alison bugging him to tell her a joke from his standup days. I'm glad he stood his ground and didn't even try. And then it was great when the timer went off and he said that meant the interview was over.

Were the bakers supposed to put the cut and stamped custard cream biscuits back in the fridge before putting them in the oven? I know they chilled the dough before rolling, but I don't think they chilled the cut ones before baking. Maybe some did. I'm not expert, but I think the cookies would have held their shape better.

The Showstopper Challenge was good. Some of the bakes were excellent looking. Dana's pizza one confused me a little. I think it was supposed to be shredded cheese hanging down -- or maybe melted, stringy cheese? -- but it looked like spaghetti. 

Saku's Sri Lankan breakfast didn't look that great to me, but wow were Prue and Paul impressed with the flavors. That was good to see.

Josh's tomato slices really were amazing. 

• Like 11
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It occurs to me that I can't remember there ever being a contestant I disliked. They manage to find the most affable people. Perhaps bakers by nature are just nice.

I want to say an hour and a half was too short for the technical, since most of the entries were judged as underbaked or underchilled. But Dan and Tasha managed to pull it off. I don't know, my biggest gripe about this show is that speed is not an indicator of baking prowess, nor a criteria for being a good baker. It's a strange thing to judge.

I think Nicky is circling the drain. Saku seems to have slipped a bit this week as well.

It’s not so much that they were particularly unlikeable or unkind, more that they were bakers with a schtick (Kim Joy comes quickly to mind) who just weren’t at the level of previous seasons and were characters in the vein of other cooking shows that just don’t have the heart of GBBO. I know Kim Joy was a good baker but she was more of a quirky character. And the lady with the purple hair. The goth woman too, etc. It’s not that they were unlikeable, it’s just that they weren’t as talented as those who went before and seemed to be cast more on their “brand” than their skill, and I wasn’t as invested to care when they went home or won challenges. I want the warm fuzzy when they win challenges, and I want to feel the “aw” when they get eliminated and I hadn’t had that for the past few seasons. The Chigs, Lottie, Giuseppe, et Al season is the last really enjoyable one I remember. 

Just give us good home bakers preparing real recipes without all the added quirks, both people and challenges. That’s what made this show so wonderful, what they got away from, and what they seem to have gotten back to. 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 10
  • Applause 1

Yes.  Another great set of challenges.  The best technicals are the ones where they look so simple to do but so much can still happen.   An hour and a half did seem a little stingy for custard creams but I think the reason for so many under baked biscuits wasn't time but that they should have rolled them slightly thinner.

Loved all the different marshmallow flavors people came up with and I didn't mind the illusion showstopper.  The fact that so many of the bakers are pulling off these bakes with minimal disasters means the parameters of these challenges have been fair so far.  Happy for Tasha getting SB though Josh and his biscuit burger was worthy as well.

Agree with everyone that this seems to be a lovely group of people.  Keith did not have a good week so it was right for him to go.  It does seem like they're cracking down on presentation too since they did keep mentioning that Keith had good flavors but his presentation lacked.

• Like 8
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The only one I remember not likeing (not that I hated him or anything) but found him annoying. Was a guy a few seasons back (can't remember his name). He was kind of arrogant and I was a better baker than him. Like how did he get on the show, he must have known someone in the crew. That being said, as "annoying" as I found him the first time, he thankfully was the first one to go home. And the came back for one of the holiday episodes, and was able to laugh at his inability to bake which was actually funny. Someone one here probably remembers his name?

Anyhow as for this season. This is a great group of people. I was glad that Tash won though. Her "plates" looked like real ones. That alone made her be the winner for me.

As for the technical, custard to me means a type of ice cream. So I thought it was going to be way harder then it was lol.

Edited by blueray
  • Like 3
46 minutes ago, blueray said:

As for the technical, custard to me means a type of ice cream. So I thought it was going to be way harder then it was lol.

Yes, there were quite a few British-specific (or perhaps Euro-specific) things mentioned in this episode I'd never heard of before, like wagon wheels and custard creams. It also kills me whenever they refer to cookies as "digestives." I can't imagine a less appetizing name for something.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, there were quite a few British-specific (or perhaps Euro-specific) things mentioned in this episode I'd never heard of before

I'd never heard of "parma violet" either. I started typing it into Google and one of the top links was "why does parma violet taste like soap" or something to that effect.

• LOL 4
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It also kills me whenever they refer to cookies as "digestives."

Digestives are a specific type of biscuit which is sometimes a synonym for a cookie in the UK. I love digestives especially the chocolate coated kind. It's not a catch-up all term for all cookies or biscuits.

• Like 4

I found it a bit funny that making a custard filling in a baking competition required using custard powder (probably something like Birds) instead of making it from scratch, but I guess it was the way to get the right consistency and texture.

I’m very impressed with the skills of this group of bakers so far. But they might be impressive because they’re easing up on the ridiculous challenges of past seasons.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It also kills me whenever they refer to cookies as "digestives." I can't imagine a less appetizing name for something.

My sister heard it as 'digested.' She was all "Ewwww!"

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'd never heard of "parma violet" either. I started typing it into Google and one of the top links was "why does parma violet taste like soap" or something to that effect.

I haven't heard of Parma Violet candy, but I assume it's like Choward's.

the-candy-awards-chowards.jpg?w=1000&ssl

I don't mind the flavor, but it's not something I would seek out. Now, if it were Violet Crumble. *nom nom nom*

• Like 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, there were quite a few British-specific (or perhaps Euro-specific) things mentioned in this episode I'd never heard of before, like wagon wheels and custard creams. It also kills me whenever they refer to cookies as "digestives." I can't imagine a less appetizing name for something.

They actually made wagon wheels in the technical in a past season - I'd never heard of them.  I agree about digestives sounding unappetizing.  Sounds like they should have psyllium husk or similar ingredients.

Keith just had an awful day.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Athena said:

I love digestives especially the chocolate coated kind.

I love them especially when making smores. All you need is them and a toasted marshmallow. It's so much better than the graham cracker and chocolate bar mess.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, there were quite a few British-specific (or perhaps Euro-specific) things mentioned in this episode I'd never heard of before, like wagon wheels and custard creams. 

I think the wagon wheels looked an awful lot like MoonPies with spokes.

• Like 5

I had only heard of custard creams via the Harry Potter books, so I was very curious as to what they would look like. Though now that I think of it, in HP they had canary creams, so I must have come upon it somewhere else. I read a lot of British literature. 
It certainly is a lovely batch of bakers this season. 
I enjoy the illusion bakes, as long as they aren’t ridiculous. This at least was food masquerading as food, though I do enjoy a well done cookie or gingerbread house. 

• Like 4

Was Keith the one with the ugly tomato? I felt bad for him when Prue held up the other guy's tomato.

20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Were the bakers supposed to put the cut and stamped custard cream biscuits back in the fridge before putting them in the oven? I know they chilled the dough before rolling, but I don't think they chilled the cut ones before baking. Maybe some did. I'm not expert, but I think the cookies would have held their shape better.

I would have put them back in the fridge, but I wonder if the bakers didn't have time, or they didn't think it was necessary.

19 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

She should just guest star on all the pbs shows. I was thinking All Creatures Great and Small.

Abbi could just have her own show. She forages, she does aerial hoops in a barn, she's an adult with a bow in her hair. I'm sure she's actually a perfectly normal person, but from what they've shown of her, she seems like a "quirky" TV character.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I found it a bit funny that making a custard filling in a baking competition required using custard powder (probably something like Birds) instead of making it from scratch, but I guess it was the way to get the right consistency and texture.

The filling was a French buttercream (hence pouring the hot sugar syrup into the egg yolks), so the texture was probably fine on its own. I assume the addition of custard powder was to impart that classic flavor, akin to the filling in Nanaimo bars, which is American buttercream flavored with custard powder.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, cynicat said:

I think the wagon wheels looked an awful lot like MoonPies with spokes.

Or Ring Dings?  Not sure if that’s a New England specialty.  Same size, but with crème filling, not marshmallow.  Anyway, I’d eat them!

I was in London last week, so I bought a package of Jaffa biscuits, since they’ve had to make them before.  Decent, but not something I’d buy again. :)

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, dleighg said:

yeah, I'd never heard of custard powder. What are its ingredients? What does "custard" taste like actually? cream and egg and sugar as far as I can tell.

It's basically cornstarch with added colorant and flavoring, to which you add sugar and milk and cook it to make a custard sauce, like a mock crème anglaise. Similar to old-fashioned cooked (vs. instant) pudding mix. 

• Like 4

How does the texture of the custard cream compare to Oreo cream filling?  

Aldi’s had Jaffa cakes during their October fest sale.  I bought the orange flavor, I believe they also had strawberry.  They are OK but nothing I would go out of my way for.  They do seem like something you would not make at home, though.  Too fiddlely.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

About the same, maybe a little softer than Oreo.

Reading this thread has made me realize that I seem to have grown up between two culture. I get and have eaten almost all the British and the American food mentioned. I have been surprised that custard creams and wagon wheels were not known to everone.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Aldi’s had Jaffa cakes during their October fest sale.  I bought the orange flavor, I believe they also had strawberry.  They are OK but nothing I would go out of my way for.  They do seem like something you would not make at home, though.  Too fiddlely.

We had a Polish grocery store that sold them for years I was eating them before I even watched this show. 

Step #1 for me is often sorting out the American equivalent to whatever the assignment is, lol...then I have a better idea of difficulty. I presumed there must be similar commercial options when Paul said they needed to look like store-bought. Based on the Vulture review, it seems we had Moon Pies (and I'd add Mallomars for the other design choice -- though the bakers made theirs pretty, lol) and Vienna Fingers for the custards. 

Another enjoyable episode. This season is bringing that warm, happy feeling that I want from this show.

• Like 8

It took me a while, but I'm starting to warm up to the new cast, but I will say that the new host (whose name I'll finally remember in three seasons) is fast becoming my favorite out of all of them. 

I love wagon wheels. I buy myself two packs at Christmas every year and dont the rest of the year, otherwise I'll balloon up. Needless to say, I was very much into the first challenge.

I don't have too much to add other than I felt like they went with style over substance in regards to who went home (again, I'm terrible at remembering names) I felt it was beaver lady's time to go.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gorgy said:

I don't have too much to add other than I felt like they went with style over substance in regards to who went home (again, I'm terrible at remembering names) I felt it was beaver lady's time to go.

I don't know, I do think the way a bake looks is important because if it's a mess it can look unappetizing. If you went into a bakery and the offerings were all messy looking you wouldn't want to buy any of them. So I'd say it was a fair decision.

Now, if the Showstopper had been some elaborate construction creation they didn't have adequate time for and most of them were a mess, I'd agree, because that's been happening a lot for several seasons now. But there are a lot of simple but effective things you can do with cookies (biscuits) and most of the Showstoppers looked pretty good.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know, I do think the way a bake looks is important because if it's a mess it can look unappetizing. If you went into a bakery and the offerings were all messy looking you wouldn't want to buy any of them. So I'd say it was a fair decision.

Now, if the Showstopper had been some elaborate construction creation they didn't have adequate time for and most of them were a mess, I'd agree, because that's been happening a lot for several seasons now. But there are a lot of simple but effective things you can do with cookies (biscuits) and most of the Showstoppers looked pretty good.

You're not wrong, but after years of ringers, I still like to think that these are home bakers, not professionals per se. (although I'd remiss to think after this many number of seasons that is a naive way of looking at it) So, would I buy a sloppy looking biscuit in a bakery, probably not, but if I was offered one at a friends house, I'd totally take one. Actually, if I knew for a fact that it tasted great, I don't think it would matter in either venue.

• Like 3

I was amazed at Josh's showstopper.  He outdid himself!  Not only was each component of the hamburger done with artistry and precision, but he made a bread board cookie and added a gingham napkin of fondant. Such attention to details.  It was one of the best presentations I have seen on this show and I am so happy he received a Hollywood handshake.  

• Like 11

As sad as it was, it seemed like a very straightforward decision. Keith had a rough weekend even though he’s clearly a very talented baker. And I loved his timer joke, after standing his ground and not doing one on demand just because Allison asked him to!

That burger basket was a work of art, but so was Tasha’s signature. I am loving this crop of bakers and much more focused challenges. 

• Like 5

I have really taken to Allison quickly.  The only thing that’s really bugged me so far was how long she spent with Keith trying to get him to do a standup joke.  She just wouldn’t let it go.  I mean, come on, timing is everything in baking and she even mentioned his timer.  It didn’t affect his outcome, but it was out of line.  Don’t do that again, Allison.  

• Like 6
4 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I have really taken to Allison quickly.  The only thing that’s really bugged me so far was how long she spent with Keith trying to get him to do a standup joke.  She just wouldn’t let it go.  I mean, come on, timing is everything in baking and she even mentioned his timer.

I was getting SO MAD at her at doing that. He put up with it way longer than she had any right to expect. I know it's hard as the baker wants to be "nice" but she needs to read the room better.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I have really taken to Allison quickly.  The only thing that’s really bugged me so far was how long she spent with Keith trying to get him to do a standup joke.  She just wouldn’t let it go.  I mean, come on, timing is everything in baking and she even mentioned his timer.  It didn’t affect his outcome, but it was out of line.  Don’t do that again, Allison.  

I think they know not to bug them when they're really busy with something and time is running out. It appeared Keith was waiting on something to come out of the oven, hence the timer, so I don't think she was distracting him from anything pressing. I hope not anyway, since he's the one who ended up going home.

• Like 2

Why in the great googly moogly was Nicki wearing a clown suit under that sweater? 🤣 I love her. I didn't want to lose her or Keith. They're both funny.

I don't even really love marshmallow but I wanted to eat every one of those cookies. Mmm mmm. Yep, even the violet one. I used to buy those candies at the global market. They're good. Then all the custard creams. Finished off with a fake burger and fries. With Saku's onions.

• Like 4
On 10/7/2023 at 10:25 AM, blueray said:

The only one I remember not likeing (not that I hated him or anything) but found him annoying. Was a guy a few seasons back (can't remember his name). He was kind of arrogant and I was a better baker than him. Like how did he get on the show, he must have known someone in the crew. That being said, as "annoying" as I found him the first time, he thankfully was the first one to go home. And the came back for one of the holiday episodes, and was able to laugh at his inability to bake which was actually funny. Someone one here probably remembers his name?

I remember him also - he was "at uni," had a twin brother, was blonde and made a guitar for his showstopper.  I don't actually think he was the first one eliminated though...but maybe the second.  

I really like Allison but as a kind of grammar nerd her abuse of the English language sometimes grates on me.  

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I remember him also - he was "at uni," had a twin brother, was blonde and made a guitar for his showstopper.  I don't actually think he was the first one eliminated though...but maybe the second.  

Jamie Finn . . . 

• Like 2