Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E01: We Can Do Hard Things

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Can there be an option to just vote out the entire Yellow team?

Half of it anyway.  Sabiyah and Kaleb seem like good players.  And the other guy?  Sean?  He's ok too.

(Was it Sabiyah talking about the alien batteries?  I hope she was joking.)

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Of course Bruce has a big advantage, with his four hours of prior experience!

Really.  Where did this come from?  Emily turned me off at that moment.  I couldn't even remember Bruce.

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

This tribe does have one of my early favorites, though: Katurah. She knows she’s smarter than the Baby Lawyer, but she doesn’t rub it in.

That was pretty funny.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

With all the scheduling changes cbs is doing, I’d like to see a time swap for survivor and TAR that way I can choose whether I want to stay up for this rather than drudging through it just to get to TAR. 

I’d probably throw a couple of ICs just to get rid of Brandon and Emily if I was sabiyah or kaleb.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

That was not good, but oddly I feel like I've got a fairly good handle on all the contestants and who's in which tribe.

I thought Jeff was going to pass out from shock when he was staring in disbelief at Hannah quitting at tribal. His face looked really white.

Brandon, that was not a panic attack! I thought, when he lumbered clumsily head first into the little boat, woah, did that guy just break his neck? Then when he was hanging a bit later by his weak arms, unable to drag his lardy arse out of the water or lift a leg, I thought, I bet he has a really comfortable giant gaming chair...

Emily is vile, but I am glad that she ended up sticking around for another episode to give more of her signature style.

I like the Reba McEntire tribe. I like the blue tribe, but Bruce is annoying, after all that. I hope the good ones on Lulu can survive the hopelessness of Brandon (are they not allowed to take reflux meds on the show? he is a one-man barely-walking disaster example of bad diet, sloth, etc, but likeable in other ways) through another challenge or two, as their dynamic is quite interesting.

It's good it's 90 minutes now, too.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

After all we've heard from people saying Survivor is the greatest experience of their lives with the chance to challenge and change themselves and make lifelong friends -- we get Emily --  saying that she's all about the goal and if she isn't going to win she'd like to go home first thing. Followed by every mean person's favorite saying, "That's just me, being honest." After that I was so looking forward to her being first off and then Hannah messed that up for me.  Smokers should never go on Survivor.

I want Brandon to stay and have a nice growth arc, gain confidence, quit confusing his stomach with his heart. 

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Yeah, this was such a weak premiere, but I attribute that to a weaker cast in general. I looked at the tribes and immediately pinpointed that Reba would be the strongest team. Not that Belo was necessarily a terrible team, but Reba immediately has Sifu and Austin. And they seemed slightly more cohesive, besides Sifu trying to be Tony and failing miserably. Dude, with your big ass muscles, you stand out when you hide behind a tree.

Yeah, Yellow tribe was a whole mess. Each person was a mess in their own way. I like Sabiyah and Kaleb, though, so hope they can survive. Unfortunately, their tribe is so low on the strength scale that I have a feeling they will lose each and every Immunity Challenge. They already started off as a weaker team and Sabiyah/Kaleb are going to likely carry everyone through these challenges. 

Emily's a mess, Brandon's a mess, Hannah was a mess, and I forgot about Sean multiple times. Emily's big mouth is going to get her in so much trouble.

Brandon's anxiety is going to prevent him from doing well in this game. I do feel for him during the first challenge. I think panic did set in and it clearly threw him off for the rest of the episode. He did seem excited to be there and then the moment things started going wrong on the ladder, he let his anxiety consume him. It was tough to watch at times, but at least he didn't really give up like Hannah did. I would not hate to see him have a comeback, as I do think people can bounce back from having bad first days. He just needs to get his head in it. 

Speaking of Hannah, did they not do a thorough evaluation to make sure each of the players were capable of playing this game? Because I almost attribute this to production more, since they could have clocked Hannah as not being the right fit but then they didn't. I'm surprised Jeff didn't outright freak out on her, but part of me doesn't FULLY blame Hannah. There's no way that she can know she's not the right fit until she tries. However, production's been casting for 45 seasons; they should already be acutely aware of when someone's a good fit and when they're not.

The Beware Advantage that Austin found is somewhat interesting, but he's gotta get a move on to starting these tasks. 

As for other players, I dislike Drew right off the bat and Jake kind of annoyed me as well. Bruce made me laugh with him claiming to be the Fun Uncle and then going all Dad mode off the bat.

I did like Dee and I didn't hate Kellie, but I disliked Kendra's constant "astrology sign" talk. Everyone else didn't make enough of an impression on me to comment.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Shermie said:

Have they never watched the show?

Sure they have. They just want to be on TV.

I missed the premiere and may just "watch" this season by reading the comments here, which is far more entertaining!

• Like 7

I see a lot of mixed opinions, but I enjoyed it.  Yes, the casting of young superfans who grew up watching the game was novel and fresh a few seasons ago; it's fast becoming the latest Survivor casting cliche.

Been a long time since I disliked anyone as immediately and heartily as Emily. Jebus, could you BE any more negative, pessimistic and paranoid? And she's an investment advisor?? What's her advice? "Buy gold and bury it in your backyard, the world's a shithole and society's gonna collapse any second"?

We've had players like her  before, who don't understand that the first half of the season is a TEAM game. Play strictly for yourself right off the bat and you're probably going before you ever get to the merge. Seeing Emily gone soon would make me happy, I feel for her teammates -- being around her corrosive personality 24/7 sounds awful.

• Like 18
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

We got a guy with an alter ego. Okay, then. I don't think lanky guys should have alter egos.

I'm sure there are a few bright spots, but I don't think we'll match the S44 cast. Right now, I see Survivor as a ninety-minute prelude to The Amazing Race.

I thought the same thing about the Amazing Race - once I saw the promo during Survivor I suddenly got a lot happier. (And in watching it, it did not disappoint.)

I had forgotten about alter ego tall guy - what the heck is that all about? Have you convinced yourself you are a comic book superhero?? Jeez louise my young man, be a well rounded ONE personality - all I see coming of claiming two personailities is you are going to BLAME whichever personality when you fail.

There is calling things as you see them, and there is instigating. I feel Emily steps over the line into deliberate instigation in the choices of things she says.  This makes me wonder if she had a somewhat sheltered upbringing and her social game is just very amateur?

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

I had forgotten about alter ego tall guy - what the heck is that all about? Have you convinced yourself you are a comic book superhero?? Jeez louise my young man, be a well rounded ONE personality - all I see coming of claiming two personailities is you are going to BLAME whichever personality when you fail.

I think he was trying to say he has a well-rounded personality - that seemed to be the "punchline" of his whole "there's Drew and there's Basile" thing. He just worded it in a weird "split personality" way, possibly trying to find a clever way to say "I'm a nerd but I'm also sociable". So if he persists in the "today I'm being Basile!" affectation, I'll give him side-eye, but for now I think he's fine.

Though in the nerd-off we seem to have going here (one for every tribe!), I'm so far putting Brando in the lead. He's just there doing his thing in quiet fashion. (I do wonder if he really goes by Brando, or if he got stuck with that because there's another Brandon, like Gonzalez or Figgy from past seasons)

Edited by tracyscott76
Added speculation about Brando's name

I was entertained, which is all I ask for. Sure, some people were annoying...but I also think that they cast for shock value, to overcome some of the loss of watercooler traffic as the show aged. If I were a betting newbie, they were not caught unaware about Jackson's medication a couple seasons back and I'm sure they expected Hannah would flake out early on this time around. 

CBS's core demographic is pretty much people who complain about Kids These Days. Why not give them some red meat to chew on with an unprepared tattooed vaper? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
32 minutes ago, Gummo said:

I see a lot of mixed opinions, but I enjoyed it.  Yes, the casting of young superfans who grew up watching the game was novel and fresh a few seasons ago; it's fast becoming the latest Survivor casting cliche.

Sadly, after 45 seasons, the only people willing to come out for it are superfans. Without serious cast recruiting, some call it stunt-casting, I think this is what we get. But surely there must be more capable superfans out there.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

When I started watching last night's premiere I knew I would miss Yam Yam, Carolyn and Carson, but was hoping there would be some real characters I could root for this season. So far, doesn't seem like it. Don't beat me up. I know a lot of folks on this forum weren't big Yam Yam fans. I was. 

Hannah going through the entire process of being selected and then getting out there and realizing it's harder than it looks when you are watching at home. Duh! I've been a true blue Survivor fan since day one but I would never consider auditioning because it looks like it's damn hard out there. I'm too old now - too many aches and pains - but when Survivor started I was in the right age group but I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. Clueless Hannah.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1

I thought this was an absolute shit season premier. They had ninety whole minutes to introduce 16 new players and they did a crap job. The only ones I have a real handle on are the six on Lulu and that's just because they lost and went to tribal. 

Instead the show dove straight into a long, drawn out challenge right out of the gate. Uh, I don't even know any of these people yet. Why on earth would I care who wins? Would you watch a football game between two teams you never heard of or knew anything about? I guess maybe you would, if you really love football, just to watch football. But I'm not here to watch people untie ropes, swim to boats, climb ladders, undo knots, put together puzzles and use poles to knock things off. I don't consider any of those things entertaining. 

Then only 30 minutes in, and another challenge! This time for some kind of reward but again, I don't know any of these people. Do I care which teams gets a pot and pan? No. And it didn't even matter because neither won. What a colossal waste of time.

You know, if they had simpler, less physical challenges, maybe they could cast people who are older than 49. Instead we've got mostly 20 somethings, few of which even seem qualified to be on the show. It's really boring.

This show is tired. It's lazy and it's sloppy. I don't know what it needs to bring it back to life - maybe new producers, maybe a new host, who knows. But it's really worn out.

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, Gummo said:

Been a long time since I disliked anyone as immediately and heartily as Emily. Jebus, could you BE any more negative, pessimistic and paranoid? And she's an investment advisor?? What's her advice? "Buy gold and bury it in your backyard, the world's a shithole and society's gonna collapse any second"?

We've had players like her  before, who don't understand that the first half of the season is a TEAM game. Play strictly for yourself right off the bat and you're probably going before you ever get to the merge. Seeing Emily gone soon would make me happy, I feel for her teammates -- being around her corrosive personality 24/7 sounds awful.

Given her stance that she would rather be booted first off if she can't win the whole thing, I was wondering if that was foreshadowing.

Now I am kinda hoping she gets to like 4th place so she has to undergo all the suffering that involves but no additional prize money. The only problem is that we viewers will have to put up with her that long.

I am wondering if there is a world where she could convince a majority of a jury to give her a million, and unless her personality is being unfairly skewed via edits, I'm thinking no.

Also: when it comes to the show's title, "We can do hard things," the lie detector showed that was a lie.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 3
  • LOL 10

Very bold strategy from Emily, waiting a whole ten minutes into the game to basically go scorched earth with a sprinkling of possible racism for good measure.

I'm definitely Team Kaleb and Sabiyah on that tribe - but I also had the same WTF look on my face that Emily did when the whole alien/battery pyramid theory was mentioned.  Hopefully it never comes up again, so I can forget all about it.

And of course I hated Hannah and Brandon.  I know myself, I would get sick on the flight to Fiji and for sure sick on the boat, not to mention I hate bugs, the outdoors and physical competitions.  Also, can't swim.  So I would never audition to be on this show.  As someone said earlier, those two obviously just wanted to be on TV.  Clearly they should have tried for Big Brother instead.

• Like 18
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They had ninety whole minutes to introduce 16 new players and they did a crap job.

Clearly they did do a crap job because there were actually 17 new players 😛

18 if you count Bruce! He's totally new! Just one of the newbies with no experience at all! Now just one more thing about proper firewood management.

I get serious 'on the spectrum' vibes from Emily so I'm wondering if she'll be flexible enough socially.

How many attorneys are there? Feels like at least 30.

Astrology girl pissed me off the moment she first spoke so we'll see how that goes.

3 personalities in 1 guy is annoying, so is Hong Kong Fooey.

Caleb is light on his feet, he sprang over the goods on the boat at the start.

• Like 14
  • LOL 2
14 hours ago, Lurk said:

I can't say that I like any of them. I don't feel like even with 90 minutes, that we got any more insight on the players. Did they let us see the whole strength/savvy challenge down to the timer running out or just cut to them in the boats on the way back talking about losing?

That could be because of the 90 minutes, 24 of those new minutes were commercials and promos for other shows. Yes, I actually went back through the tape and timed commercials! How pathetic is MY life??!! 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

get serious 'on the spectrum' vibes from Emily so I'm wondering if she'll be flexible enough socially.

Really? I got more of a "clinical depression " vibe from Emily. The disdain for other players, expressing her suspicions as absolute fact, not wanting to lead but not trusting anyone else to lead, her general facial expression and body language.  Is she playing Survivor, or does she want some sort of wilderness experience to heal her emotional pain?

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I get serious 'on the spectrum' vibes from Emily so I'm wondering if she'll be flexible enough socially.

29 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I got more of a "clinical depression " vibe from Emily.

Neither of those would explain the delusions of persecution. Although we haven't blatantly seen delusions of grandeur yet, I do have a feeling that will be something that comes out, too.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I enjoyed this episode and am excited for the season (as always).  I thought they showed a bit more of the camp life than they had been showing for the shorter seasons and enjoyed seeing the interactions.  I never realized it before (and I have watched every episode of every season) but it was obvious that each camp had a supply of pre-cut bamboo trunks ready for use.

I was most disappointed in Sean, the school principal, because he immediately climbed over Brandon and joined his team when someone (I forget who) had to eventually tell him to go help Brandon.  As an educator I was shocked that he did not immediately hep Brandon as soon as it was evident that he was struggling to get up the ladder.  I could not imagine that an educator, especially a principal, would not immediately try to help someone (from his own team).

Am also surprised that Hannah was so willing to quit.  But, at least she made it clear that if not voted out she would quit so that the tribe only lost one person instead of potentially losing two people.  As for Emily, I would imagine that she would be hard to interact with as a colleague as she would probably be telling one about how wrong they were all of the time.  Many posters have written that if she was a male, people would accept her negative and challenging attitude.  I respectually disagree as I don't care if one is female/male when being condenscending towards another person.  Bruce has an advantage?  Really?  Because he played in half of a challenge, couldn't focus, and then was medi-evaced?  Okay.  And Kaleb and the former marine/truck driver are in an alliance against her?  I think we will see some real paranoia from her for as long as she remains in the game.  Brandon may not last long in the game, but if his teammates see him as loyal, he should last a little bit.  And, if he makes the merge he will definitely not be seen as a threat so may actually make it far.

I noticed several people didn't like Jake, but so far I like him.  Of course, we'll learn more about the other castaways as the season progresses and after a challenge the losing tribe always gets more screen time.

No matter what though, I am glad the show is back and I am glad for 90 minute episodes.

• Like 9

I guess they aren't allowed any medication?  Sounds like Brandon takes acid blocking medication at home and he can't there.  so he's getting a bad acid rebound reaction especially with the stress induced acid production.  GERD pain can be like a heart attack so I don't envy him.  Hannah probably smoked as many cigarettes as she could while she could and figured this experience would be her way to get off nicotine.  big mistake.  as a long time quitter of them, there are still stressful times when I miss having one to smoke.  she must have been really suffering. 

and even when I was younger I realized I could never go on Survivor.  My idea of camping is anything less than a Holiday Inn.

Edited by watch2much
+
  • Like 5
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

The pyramids were built by aliens and they're batteries for?  Then pretty much the whole tribe agreed except Emily?!?  Where do they find these people?

Well, Survivor is a game within which success is derived from building positive relationships with other players.  Telling those other players they’re full of what makes the roses bloom pretty in the springtime on Day One in camp might introduce a certain degree of blowback in that regard.  Better to just say “Uh-huh” and keep moving on…. 😄

18 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I never realized it before (and I have watched every episode of every season) but it was obvious that each camp had a supply of pre-cut bamboo trunks ready for use.

I expect a significant chunk of that bamboo represents recycling from previous seasons’ shelters; if every season featured all three camps cutting new bamboo for their shelters, then Fiji would be facing a serious deforestation problem by now.

18 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I was most disappointed in Sean, the school principal, because he immediately climbed over Brandon and joined his team when someone (I forget who) had to eventually tell him to go help Brandon.  As an educator I was shocked that he did not immediately hep Brandon as soon as it was evident that he was struggling to get up the ladder.  I could not imagine that an educator, especially a principal, would not immediately try to help someone (from his own team).

I was kinda surprised to see Sean was a principal at an elementary school; my first thought was that maybe he was the principal of a barber college or something - but that would make him a dean rather than a principal, right…?  😆

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

It didn't quite happen that way. Sean didn't immediately climb over Brandon. At first he was trying to help Brandon from behind (i.e. Brandon was on the ladder and Sean was still on the dinghy). Brandon then told Sean to go ahead, Sean confirmed that's what he meant, and then went on up.

I'll grant you that it was a little odd that it took his tribemates telling him to go back and help for him to do so, but maybe Sean was under the impression that since he had "completed the course", so to speak, he wasn't allowed to help. Or it didn't register with him just how completely Brandon had collapsed (I don't think they could even see him at that point). Or he was zoned out from his own exertions. Who knows?

I'm not ready to write Sean off as unwilling to help, especially considering how emotional he was at tribal when Hannah announced she was done. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

The pyramids were built by aliens and they're batteries for?  Then pretty much the whole tribe agreed except Emily?!?  Where do they find these people?

Emily says she's an investment analyst. I'm curious as to how Emily gets along with people in her office. What are her office politics like?

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Emily says she's an investment analyst. I'm curious as to how Emily gets along with people in her office. What are her office politics like?

Nobody in the office talks to Emily - or around Emily - especially when performance appraisal time rolls around….

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
10 minutes ago, Nashville said:

expect a significant chunk of that bamboo represents recycling from previous seasons’ shelters; if every season featured all three camps cutting new bamboo for their shelters, then Fiji would be facing a serious deforestation problem by now.

Was this filmed in Fiji?  I thought I read Survivor was moving to a different location. Or is that the next one?

3 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

What are her investment analyses like!??

"Life is crap, people suck, you can't trust anybody, so put all your cash into hookers and blow 'cause we're all fucked anyway."

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
1 minute ago, Gummo said:

"Life is crap, people suck, you can't trust anybody, so put all your cash into hookers and blow 'cause we're all fucked anyway."

Now THAT’S a retirement plan I can get behind - so to speak….  🤣

(ETA: I’m planning on retiring next year)

Edited by Nashville
Having fun
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Nashville said:

What I kept thinking while watching Brandon just HANG from the ladder on the side of the boat, not making any attempt to actually climb the ladder:

I think it was the water-logged jeans that began Brandon’s downfall.  Trying to climb a ship’s ladder out of the water while weighing more than when he dove in was never going to be easy.  I imagine it was difficult to even bend his knees to get from rung to rung.

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
27 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Was this filmed in Fiji?  I thought I read Survivor was moving to a different location. Or is that the next one?

Yes it was filmed in Fiji.  Probst even said so on the program. 

I think it is still up in the air about Fiji going forward.  The new government there wants them out but negotiations are still on or maybe I read wrong.  Or was that Panama trying to get them to one of their islands like in Season 5??

• Useful 3
10 minutes ago, Katrina Kate said:

I think it was the water-logged jeans that began Brandon’s downfall.  Trying to climb a ship’s ladder out of the water while weighing more than when he dove in was never going to be easy.  I imagine it was difficult to even bend his knees to get from rung to rung.

while i get this, you HAVE TO prepare for this show. you see all these preppers for naked and afraid, they have figured it out. get ready for the environment you are about to face. if its physical, get your upper body into shape at least. if its mental, get your mindset straight on how to tackle those mental obstacles - overcoming pain, or persistance, and even just the down right condemning of you from your other contestants. you cant come into this competition just friggin oblivious and la de da, which i where i see Brandon now. helping others feel better, ok ya that is a skill, but in terms of survival there are more skills more needed.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

while i get this, you HAVE TO prepare for this show. you see all these preppers for naked and afraid, they have figured it out. get ready for the environment you are about to face. if its physical, get your upper body into shape at least. if its mental, get your mindset straight on how to tackle those mental obstacles - overcoming pain, or persistance, and even just the down right condemning of you from your other contestants. you cant come into this competition just friggin oblivious and la de da, which i where i see Brandon now. helping others feel better, ok ya that is a skill, but in terms of survival there are more skills more needed.

Or, to put it another way: in a survival situation, you can’t eat good intentions - but you CAN eat the guy with good intentions, which is pretty close to the same thing.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The Beware Advantage that Austin found is somewhat interesting, but he's gotta get a move on to starting these tasks. 

Was anyone else thinking that when you are searching for an immunity idol you might not want to be wearing nothing but skin tight bicycle shorts (or underwear, not sure which)?  Where was he intending to hide it? In his hair?

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, lilysmom said:

That could be because of the 90 minutes, 24 of those new minutes were commercials and promos for other shows. Yes, I actually went back through the tape and timed commercials! How pathetic is MY life??!! 

If you're still "taping" shows on a VCR, I'd say pretty bad.Confused Harry Potter GIF

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Gummo said:

"Your latest quarterly statements are in, and you made a profit.  But don't believe it, because they're lying."

• LOL 9

OK a few serious comments:

Emily's profile talks about having been an exchange student to China and being accustomed to working with and competing against people from diverse backgrounds. So I'm willing to concede that it may just be something else than racism that has led her to irrationally attack three Black players the way she has.

It may be premature, but unlike the last few seasons, they didn't seem to want to shove all the different advantages and minigames in yet. There's presumptively a beware advantage at each camp, so we will see if people find them and try to do them. I wonder if at some point people will say the risk-reward on them may mean you just leave them? 

This must be a disappointing season already for Peachy: a quitter, a soon-to-be quitter, and no one fully fitting the Alpha Male role. Hong Kong Phooey comes closest, I guess, but he's such a goofball.

I do wonder how Boston Not-Rob is feeling on discovering that he was baby-lawyersplaining to the older lawyer. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Katrina Kate said:

I think it was the water-logged jeans that began Brandon’s downfall.

I think it was Brandon believing that sitting in a game chair 16 hours a day occasionally lobbing an empty soda can into a nearby waste basket was a significant form of exercise.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Kenzie said:

I think it was Brandon believing that sitting in a game chair 16 hours a day occasionally lobbing an empty soda can into a nearby waste basket was a significant form of exercise.

It seems he has jelly legs. It just seems like he refuses to use his legs completely. When they were climbing the wall, I couldn't help but say out loud "DAMMIT BRANDON! USE YOUR LEGS TO PUSH YOURSELF!" It seems like he was just trying to use his upper body to drag his legs, and his legs are just caving under him.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1